Leaky Presents the Harry Potter Quote Conjurer

Widgets
Posted by: Melissa
March 01, 2006, 12:50 AM

We've got a great, fun, just-plain-cool-if-I-do-say-so-myself widget for you: The Harry Potter Quote Conjurer for Mac AND Windows.
The conjurer is the latest from our Truly Awesome Widget Guy, Chris Chang, and today, its first day online, it has been named a featured widget by Apple.com!

So what is it? The Harry Potter Quote Conjurer is a diversion - it randomizes quotes from the Harry Potter series (from a database of thousands, pulled by Leaky Editor Extraordinaire Julie Tynion), and places them alongside vivid illustrations (designed by our lovely and oh-so-talented designer Heather Campbell) of the characters with whom they're associated. You can set the conjurer to update at a set interval of time, or refresh it by clicking onthe character portrait. If you click the quote, the conjurer will whisk you away to the related page on our partner, The Harry Potter Lexicon. It's simple fun that uses the books to remind anyone why they're a fan (personally, I can't stop refreshing it. It's addictive).

The conjurer will continue to be updated with thousands more quotes and even more wonderful images and features, as time goes on.

How do you get it?

Mac OSX (Dashboard): Download (1.2 MB), Info

For Windows and Mac on Yahoo! Widgets (formerly Konfabulator; works on Mac and Windows with the Yahoo! Widgets software): Download, 1.2 MB, Info (and only with the name "Melissa Anelli" on it because several attempt to get them to change Leaky's account name have been unsuccessful - I had nothing to do with the creation of this widget, let's be clear!)

Want more of our widgets? Check out our gallery.

What's a widget? Read up on Wikipedia.

I also want to personally thank Chris, Heather and Julie, again, for putting such an extraordinary amount of time (months) and effort (thousands of quotes!) into this - it shows, guys. We hope you all enjoy this as much as we do!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Widgets News

Abby

My quote conjurer is stuck on Accio quote. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it’s still stuck. Thanks!

Posted by Abby on October 24, 2008, 07:42 PM report to moderator
gwen

Mine isn’t working either. I also tried reinstalling and it isn’t working.

Posted by gwen on October 24, 2008, 08:25 PM report to moderator
Alex

My Quote Conjurer is not working as well.

Posted by Alex on October 29, 2008, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Ashley

I have been having the same problem as well. I also tried reinstalling it and it didn’t fix the problem.

Posted by Ashley on November 06, 2008, 01:39 PM report to moderator
Emily

Mine has the same problem. I too tried reinstalling it. It seems many of them have this problem. I’m no computer expert so I may be totally off – but it may be the version of safari the computer is running on? Because I’m having problems with many of my widgets that require the internet lately …

Posted by Emily on November 06, 2008, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Katie

I’ve been having the same problem and its making me so sad every time i check my widgets there’s no harry potter quote :(

Posted by Katie on November 06, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Rufus

It looks to me like a problem on the server. I took a look at the code for the widget, and tried to load the RSS feed that it gets the quotes from. It is receiving a php source page, rather than the server executing the php and sending actual html/xml.

Posted by Rufus on November 10, 2008, 10:06 PM report to moderator
Phinneas

I’m also stuck! is the widget dead? I loved it!!

Posted by Phinneas on November 27, 2008, 10:23 AM report to moderator
Chris

Still dead. Surfing to the link in the settings returns this in both Safari and Firefox:
\n"; ?> This feed is for Leaky’s use only. Anyone caught using it without our consent will be thrown into our pit of man-eating house-elves.

Is this dead in the water?

Posted by Chris on January 16, 2009, 01:33 AM report to moderator
Order_of_the_phoenix__3__thumb

ehh i have a mac and it won’t let me download from apple, it states there’s an internal error… i was excited about this =/

Posted by kingdom on May 18, 2009, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

poopy. i wanted it

Reptile_house_thumb

mmm… I tried re-installing it for the n-th time and still it doesn’t work, gets stuck on Accio Quote!
what’s wrong with it???

Posted by silviaelisa22 on November 06, 2009, 07:24 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Can’t get it for the Mac, Apple says that the thing for download is invalid:( I’d love to annoy my sister (the one who doesn’t like HP) with the widget.

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on February 25, 2010, 01:20 AM report to moderator

Eyes blurred with sweat, Harry tried to make out what it was... It was as bright as a unicorn... Fighting to stay conscious, Harry watched it canter to a halt as it reached the opposite shore. For a moment, Harry saw, by its brightness, somebody welcoming

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014