J.K.Rowling Adds “Gadget” for Vista Users

105

Jun 15, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Our favorite author sure has been busy these past few days! As we reported earlier, Jo is going on tour here in the US in October, and has also opened the door to her study on her website, where you can now take the third and final WOMBAT. Jo has also now made available a special widget or a “Gadget” found on her website for Windows Vista users. Thanks to TLC moderator Dreamteam, you can see some photos of what this widget looks like, here in our galleries. This widget lets you know the progress of your WOMBAT results, as well as features a countdown to the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Thanks to Dreamteam and all who emailed!

62 Responses to J.K.Rowling Adds “Gadget” for Vista Users

Avatar Image says:

It’s only for Vista? That’s not really fair…I don’t think most people have it yet. At least I don’t, still on XP :p Though it was very nice of her to make it.

Vista is a complete rip-off from Apple. Common Jo- Who Yea Dealin’ With?! =]

Avatar Image says:

Not to stir up the whole mac vs pc thing….but widgets are for macs while “gadgets” are made for windows….By the way, I’m a mac….

Avatar Image says:

Where is the download? I can’t find a link on her website.

Avatar Image says:

Windows Vista??? Please tell me she’ll be adding more later!

Avatar Image says:

Sue, Melissa, John! Check your mail I just sent in great news!!!

BTW, I am having problems with Leaky. The time on the news and comments is wrong and the feedback form says that the page couldn’t load when I submitted news. :-S

Hey Guys-

Ive searched the site through and through and can’t find ANYTHING about this… Even though I have a wonderful Mac, I wanna know how to download it… :(

Avatar Image says:

Yay for Vista! Macs suck.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t get it… Is JKR promoting Vista? Or why else would they only release it in that format? Confused!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, in Vista they are called Gadgets. The gadget is so friggen awesome, I really love it. Its adorable and replaced the other Deathly Hallows countdown that I had before. Yet another reason why everyone should switch to Vista. :D

Avatar Image says:

Where is the link? I can’t find it on Jo website…

Avatar Image says:

Vista? why the heck would you put a widget on a pc? lol They are for macs, Windows totally rip off everything Mac Does!!!! But glad to say they do it really bad.. Hope she makes em for us Maccies!

Avatar Image says:

Everyone who hates macs hasn’t used one.

Avatar Image says:

You can find it on her desk right next to the bullclip just above the watch. It’s a little rectangle that says “vista gadget”. Haha, when I saw it I was like YAY since I wanted to find a decent countdown gadget! :)

Avatar Image says:

Why only for Vista?? It doesn’t sound like Jo to only offer something for a select few, when the majority of her fans won’t be able to use the widget. blah.

Avatar Image says:

This has become an argument over Mac vs PC? Wow. Ridiculous. I like my Vista, but I certainly wouldn’t put anyone down for anything else. What works for you works for you! Good grief!

How do you get it?

Where is it at?

Avatar Image says:

I looked by the watch and can still not find it!

Avatar Image says:

i’m sure she works with apple or at the least XP. vista stinks.

Avatar Image says:

do u have to have vista to see it?

Avatar Image says:

and btw i highly doubt “jo” is offering this. her website designers and pr people are doing this. i dont think jo knows how to program.

Avatar Image says:

I have a feeling that someone that works on her site created the gadget and uploaded it after getting Jo’s permission. There’s probably a Mac widget and Yahoo widget in the works (hopefully) but they aren’t ready yet.

Avatar Image says:

I loaded it and got it, very cool.

(I guess it may need you to clear your internet browser cache before it will refresh the page properly, or maybe it is only seen in Vista running machines)

Avatar Image says:

Vista is not a mac rip-off, they have been working on this for more than 5 years, infact it’s the otherway around. Mac users are delusional. Wake Up!!!!

And secondly i would like to thank Rowling for putting this wonderful gadget. Thanks Jo

Avatar Image says:

Can anyone post a direct link to the gadget? I can’t find it anywhere on her site…. I tried clearing my cache and still couldn’t find it.

Avatar Image says:

This is very helpful for less than 4% of the population. According to the statistics I found, more people use Windows 2000 than use Vista. More people have Macs, also.

:::::sigh:::::

I’m left out again. I guess I better get used to it, and realize that I’m in good company. At least there’s no chance the book will only be allowed to be sold to people of a certain age group or those with a specific operating system . . .

I’m pre-ordering the video game tomorrow, you can get it on Amazon with a movie ticket! Hooray! No one better expect me to do anything in a timely manner after June 25.

Avatar Image says:

OK, I figured it out—you need to use both Vista and Internet Explorer. When I was using Firefox, I couldn’t see the gadget rectangle, but with IE I can.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope she will add something like this for Mac users as well. Afterall, that is where this whole idea came from

Avatar Image says:

AmyC: That’s interesting. I only found it in FireFox after switching my user agent to match that of IE7 on Vista (I’m using XP)

I’m working on an unofficial port of this widget to other widget engines, primarily Opera’s desktop engine.

Avatar Image says:

Joel: I had a look at it as well from the technical point of view, and in case it is useful I found that it uses ActiveX style ajax, also that common.js was in some sort of windows unicode text (ie. null every other character). There are a couple of gadget specific html tags.

Okay, for the first time I wish I had Vista XD

For those who can’t find it- your computer must not be compatible either!

Avatar Image says:

I believe you probably have to have Vista to run it (I do and its awsome, Mac’s are just as good cough not cough too bad you can only use about 10% of programs on them.

Also, i was using Firefox and it wouldnt show up, switched to IE and worked perfectly!

Avatar Image says:

Vista is terrible. Poor users.

Avatar Image says:

that’s not fair!!!! what about those who don’t have vista???!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t have Vista and am still on WindowsXP and will be on it for a while.

I don’t need a widget or a gadget to watch the W.O.M.B.A.T. test result clock. I just go to Jo’s site and enter in my W-student ID and see the room with the certificates. The clock on the wall will show me how the grading is going and Leaky will provide me with the rest of the news.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I guess the majority of us are muggles in that we’re not using Vista. We can’t even see the gadget link.

I can neither afford to upgrade to Vista, nor purchase a Mac.

I’ll just have to wait for the WOMBAT results in the dark…

(sigh)

OMT

Avatar Image says:

The reason they released this to Vista users first is because Vista comes with a built-in Gadget Sidebar on the desktop where you can add or take away all sorts of “gadgets” like clocks, weather reports, etc. All the JKR team had to do was write a simple gadget to be added to the sidebar. For any other OS, they’d also have to offer the Sidebar program, which is a lot more complicated! I’m pretty sure there was no prejudice or marketing ploy intended.

Avatar Image says:

oooo!!! I want it! :( Too bad it’s only for vista… I’m a widget junkie on macs…

I have a PC, too.. but it only has XP… I probably will get a macbook before upgrading to vista…

Avatar Image says:

As so many others I really wonder why it is only for Vista. I personally don’t know only one person who has it and I would presume from that, that most people/fans don’t have Vista. So I really hope it will be available for other systems, too.

Avatar Image says:

I just checked back on Jo’s site. Can it be, that one can only see it when using Vista?

Avatar Image says:

What about non-Vista users? I’m using XP, and I wouldn’t use Vista if you paid me. When this PC dies, I’m getting a Mac.

What about Yahoo Widgets and Apple Dashboard? Will we see ported versions? I hope so.

Avatar Image says:

forgetmenot: I have looked at the gadget, and it uses stuff that is specific to Vista, so it won’t work on other systems. And the gadget link does only display on Vista (and probably only with IE on Vista).

this sucks

mac and yahoo widgets have been around for YEARS and no HP widget (well from JKR.com , leaky has designed some great widgets).

now that vista has them since a few months they start making them for vista

that’s just unfair.

Avatar Image says:

Never thought we’d see JKR pissing in Bill Gates’ pocket. Very disappointing.

Avatar Image says:

Not to bring up the Windows vs Mac, but me with my pretty Vista laptop here just downloaded the Gadget and it’s quite nice to look at but not doing much yet. I prefer my continually counting down Deathly Hallows Gadget to this (but only to see the seconds ticking down!) I’ll take a screen shot of it and put it up on my photobucket in a mo to show you guys it. x

Avatar Image says:

Ugh, I agree that Vista is a complete ripoff of apple. I mean Apple had “widgets” ages ago… and now vista has something that is basically the very same thing, but it’s a “gadget”? I mean, they couldn’t even be creative with the name. Boo Windows!

Avatar Image says:

wish i had vista, that thing looks cool

Avatar Image says:

How do you get a student identification # to take the Wombats?

Avatar Image says:

Wow! That’s really cool. I just wish they had a dachboard version for Mac.

Avatar Image says:

Just downloaded it. It’s so awesome.

Avatar Image says:

I have question about this vista gadget. I have downloaded twice already but everytime you should off the computer it disappears. Do you have to downloaded everytime you turn on the computer or is there a way for it to stay? and also for those that have vista, how do get to the gadget window where all the other gadget that came with the computer are? the only way I know how to find them are when I have the downloaded clock? any help would be appreciated.

Avatar Image says:

The gagdet is on the UK version of her site. I love it!

Avatar Image says:

What about if you don’t have Vista?! Surely it’s not a case of Jo being paid a lot of money by microsoft… Jo wouldn’t forsake her fans for even more money would she! would she?!

Avatar Image says:

Let’s end this. The XP thing at least anyway.

YOU CAN RUN THE VISTA SIDEBAR ON XP.

Go to this link for information: http://cjsimmons.net/2007/vista-sidebar-for-xp

Avatar Image says:

Here is the download: http://www.jkrowling.com/gadget/jkrowling.gadget

Avatar Image says:

luna – To run the Gadget Sidebar, click on Start-> All Programs-> Accessories—> Windows Sidebar. To have the Sidebar start automatically whenever you start your computer, right-click at the very top of the Sidebar. Choose Properties, then click to check the box that says “Start Sidebar when Windows starts”. That should do it!

Avatar Image says:

luna – “All Programs” should not have a line through it in my post above. Not sure how that strike-out happened!

Avatar Image says: I really like the direction this is going – DVDs only work on Macs and Windows, the widget only work on Windows Vista… what’s next? Maybe book 7 is protected by digital restrictions management and can only be read by Microsoft employees? Really, why don’t you develop these things in a cross-platform language? Maybe Java? Qt with Ruby/Java/whatever?Avatar Image says:

thanks AmyC :)

Avatar Image says:

not lunq, is is luna. I need to take a break it seems.

Avatar Image says:

This is a bit of something good for those who are stuck with the slow, proprietary, buggy piece of junk that is Vista… I am very happy with Ubuntu GNU/Linux, even without a gadget/widget for HP.

Avatar Image says:

She should have released one for Mac’s as well. Also she should have released it so that it could work with Yahoo! Widgets as well.

Write a Reply or Comment