Harry Potter DVDs Due in High Definition Format in Fall, 2007

119

Jun 16, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Last year and confirmed in January of this year, we reported that all five of the Harry Potter films would be re-released in a High Definition DVD format some time in 2007. Today, Video Business is reporting that Warner Brothers has stated a late fall release of the Harry Potter films on the Blu-Ray format. This is apparently due to take place the same time the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD will be released, as earlier reports had the fifth Harry Potter DVD on store shelves by Christmas. No exact release dates for any of these DVDs are available as of yet, and we will update with more when we can.

Thanks uthabiti!

27 Responses to Harry Potter DVDs Due in High Definition Format in Fall, 2007

wonderfully

Avatar Image says:

great now i have to get that too!!! just kidding that’s great!!!!!!!! final i can watch in HD!!!

Avatar Image says:

Sweet, that will be awesome to see it in HD! gets better and better.

Avatar Image says:

What about us, the people who do not have a Blu-ray machine? Is it compatible with existing DVD players? Does one see any difference if it is not a Blu-Ray DVD player?

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad they are coming out in high definition. It just stinks that I have no means of playing blue ray discs and I’m not buying a blue ray dvd player. I’m not buying anything until the war between Blue Ray and HD Dvd’s is settled.

Avatar Image says:

I’d buy an HD-DVD player for these movies but not a blu-ray. Blu-ray players cost 2-3 times as much as an HD-DVD player. HD-DVD players also upconvert your SD-DVDs to “near” HD.

Avatar Image says:

The DVDs will be in both HD formats according to the first report. The second article is an announcement directly from Blu-Ray.

I`m gettting it when it comes out. Period ;]

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I still don’t have a Blu-Ray player (I’m going to wait for the cost to come down, and I’m also going to wait until the war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is over before I commit to one player over another), but this is great news!

I’m really looking forward to the Goblet of Fire HD release, since the quality of the DVD version was kind of…well, pathetic. It really was. They could have made a better transfer for the DVD. Hopefully the HD version is far superior!

Avatar Image says:

So they aren’t releasing Order of the Phoenix in regular DVD format? I don’t have a HD player and I don’t think my parents will be getting one any time soon..

Avatar Image says:

I’m with Anna on this one, only I don’t have parents to rely on. It’s my own money that I don’t have to buy a HD-DVD.

I hope the makers of the DVDs do recognize that there will be a lot of people who won’t be upgrading for a while, especially those of us who lived through the Beta & VHS war. :)

I’m just glad that they’ll have the DVDs out for future watchings. I just hope I can play them.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t worry everyone, there will be a standard DVD release of Order of the Phoenix. They won’t be releasing any movies exclusively on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for a while yet!

Avatar Image says:

The article doesn’t specify a format. The blu-ray article, which sies the vid biz article assumes its blu-ray.

Avatar Image says:

The format war is practically over. Toshiba (makers of HD-DVD) announced last week that they will not meet sales projections for this year by nearly 60%, and that sales of HD-DVD discs themselves are sinking like a brick. Meanwhile, the second generation of Blu-ray players hits stores THIS weekend at a much lower price-point ($400-$600), and the new Panasonic Blu-ray player even comes with 5 free movies in the box (both Pirates of the Caribbean flicks, Transporter, Fantastic 4, and Crash).

I was on the fence until now… I just ordered the Panasonic, and am looking forward to Harry Potter in HD. Particularly the bonus features! This is going to be a big year for Harry fans, and a very profitable one for WB and JKR!

Avatar Image says:

I hope that the movie will be in regular dvd format cause I don’t wanna spend a ton of money on an HD or Blu-Ray dvd player. I like my regluar one just fine but Damon, I do really hope they’ll release it on regular dvd.

Avatar Image says:

awesome. I have a PS3 (blu-ray player and DVD upscaler) and i’m excited to see them coming out on Blu-Ray. The price of Blu-Ray players are about to go down to i think 499? So it’s still a little more expensive at the moment, but the way b/w the 2 is still strong. I have my BRD player, so i’ll get them for it!

Avatar Image says:

hey martin, thanks for the numbers, and you’re right about the war so far. More players are being bought for HD-DVD, but more software is going Blu-Ray and PS3 werent being considered, so actually more BRD players. Where is this Panasonic Blu-Ray player?

Avatar Image says:

Adam: The Panasonic Blu-ray player I just pre-ordered is the DMP-BD10A. (Not to be confused with the DMP-BD10, the “A” version is much cheaper and is upgraded/gen2. Careful, tho… some stores like Circuit City are keeping the same model #, but you can tell them apart because only the new “A” model comes with the free movies, and it’s 1/2 the price of the gen1 model.) It’s SUPPOSED to hit retail this weekend, but it might delay a week or so.

Darlene: Don’t worry… HP5 will also be available on standard DVD, not just the new HD formats.

Meh.

I’m going to buy the standard DVD for movie 5, and probably 6 as well. I’ll wait to get Blu-ray, HD-DVD, or Beta whatever ;-) when there is a box set of all seven movies, assuming that the quality of the new format is worth what will no doubt be a MUCH higher price. For the DVDs, that is. Even if the machine drops down further in price, I don’t think Blu-ray discs are going to be that cheap. Just like inkjet printers are cheap, but it’s the ink cartridges that cost a lot.

Anyway, I might not even get a box set if they don’t have decent extended editions for the later films, because there’s just too much that will be missing from the theatrical release versions.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, can you watch Blue Ray dvds on your computer?

Avatar Image says:

Can you watch Blue Ray dvd’s on your computer?

Avatar Image says:

britishwannabe – You can only play Blu-ray DVD’s on your computer if your PC is equipped with a Blu-ray drive. Considering how new the technology is, and how expensive it is, VERY few PC’s have them. Last I checked, a Blu-ray DVD burner drive for PC cost about $450.

BLU-RAY?!

What a massive waste of money.

Avatar Image says:

Brilliant – HP in HD! So I just need to buy a blue ray (or HD DVD) drive, and a HD monitor, etc. Or I could watch it on my Computer… which would, of course, involve becoming a “criminal” since I’d have to break that Digital Restriction Management to view the content on my system. Long live the Microsoft-WB-JKR alliance!

Avatar Imageyogendra says: wondorfulll very fantastic..................... i love hari's movviesssssssssssss... i don't miss it. ======= BOND ======= Florida Drug Treatment Centers-Florida Drug Treatment Centers Avatar Imageyogendra says: Giving people their lives back Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Florida Welcome to the Holistic Addiction Treatment Program where help is only a phone call away. We are located in Sunny North Miami beach, Florida in the United States of America. People come to our Florida drug and alcohol treatment center from all over the United States and the world. We have learned from our many years of experience treating addiction that the best way to ensure a successful treatment outcome is to remove the person from the people, places and things associated with their addiction. This reduces distractions and gives the individual an opportunity to fully engage in treatment and to learn the coping skills necessary to stay clean and sober when they return to their home environment. We specialize in treating those who suffer from chronic relapse with drugs and alcohol and/or who are dually diagnosed. By this we mean those persons who cannot seem to stay clean & sober long enough to really get help. These lost souls generally speaking have a co-existing psychiatric disorder such as Bi- Polar, Anxiety or Panic Disorders, and depression which if left untreated decreases their ability to cope with the realities of everyday life and increases the likelihood that they will find comfort in the euphoric effects produced by drugs and alcohol. Our program focuses on long-term solutions. We recognize the importance of treating the whole person and we do not believe in "institutionalizing" our clients. They live in a supervised real world environment, and learn to cope with everyday realities which we feel is a major contributing factor to their long-term success. =========== Yogendra =========== Florida Drug Treatment Centers-Florida Drug Treatment Centers Avatar Imageharrypotter1991 says: I love new Harry Potter DVDs!

Write a Reply or Comment