Borders Special “Harry Potter Book Club” Now Available

114

Jun 17, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

Borders has now relesed their “Harry Potter Book Club,” a joint presentation with PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast. The discussion took place between PotterCast and several Phoenix Rising attendees a few weekends ago in New Orleans. The talk goes about an hour (and is viewable or downloadable in chapters or in full, in WMV and in iPod format) and touches on topics ranging from who will die to how we all became fans.

PotterCast is also on tour right now; we’re trying to put together a fan hangout in Santa Fe, NM, tomorrow, so keep an eye on our blog for more.

Big thanks to Borders for this awesome chance to present a talk that considers the important issues to fans. We had a great time doing it and we hope you enjoy it!

36 Responses to Borders Special “Harry Potter Book Club” Now Available

Avatar Image says:

I love how Pottercast has teamed up with Borders! First post, woot woot!

Avatar Image says:

its like watching a live pottercast but with lots of new voices. its a great way to discuss HP! Thanks Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

There are going to be talks about the HP books at my Borders is that how it will be like?

Avatar Image says:

I love this one! It’s great, watching it right now.

Wow, Sue! You look great! Everyone looks great! You know what I hate…When you wanna give a comment when they’re talking, btu you know you can’t!!

That’s awesoeme!

Avatar Image says:

that was good. But I can’t believe you guys didn’t ask draco where snape took him at the end of hbp and etc. he was sitting right there with you. :)

Avatar Image says:

it was great listening! it definately got kind of sad towards the end concerning “what’s next?” i kind of feel that the main difference is just that people will move on faster and be propelled to read the next JK Rowling novel or the next fantasy novel. They are going to visit threads and submit ideas but most likely once they are finished reading the set and have a few thoughts to add. this moment can never be re-lived…

so yeah, the fandom will get quieter, fewer theories, but the fandom will never die. We have three more movies to see, a theme park to visit, who knows? although i might choke on my cheerios if they come out with HP: the musical;)

Avatar Image says:

Noe seems so well behaved.

Avatar Image says:

haha ya John was well behaved even with Bre in the room, I thought she’ld be more talkative though

Avatar Image says:

I am so going to the one in Toronto in August

I really enjoyed this! :D It was like a giant Cannon Conundrums fiesta :D

I heart the HP fandom :)

Melissa, John, and Sue.. you guys look great!!

Avatar Image says:

Well, Finally you posted this! I told you about this like a week ago ;-S It was indeed very awesome.

Avatar Image says:

I was lucky enough to get to participate! We had such a great time taping. We all kind of forgot the cameras were there so that by the end it felt like we were a bunch of friends sitting in someone’s living room chatting about Harry Potter. Except I was sitting next to Melissa and trying not to be fangirlish. :-)

Avatar Image says:

I saw this a few days ago and I Skyped Bre and I was like “Say something!”

Yay Borders!

Avatar Image says:

harry potter 7 latest release in ebook version is now available for download.. visit www.webprimerz.com and register to download it. its FREE!!!

Avatar Image says:

was that guys name really Draco? i just can’t believe that is his given name. if it is – cool! either way, it made me LOL.

Avatar Image says:

That was awesome, I really enjoyed hearing everyone’s opinions… I would love to be able to be in a room with that many Harry Potter fans and just talk!!! As of right now I just get to bore my roommate with my constant Harry Potter discussions. Well, I’ll be at Pottercast on the 24th & 26th in Thousand Oaks and Los Angeles, so I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

The Pottercast crew looks great with all that professional camera work!

Avatar Image says:

Hey, I was wondering when you were going to post about this, lol. I thought maybe you wanted to keep it on the down-low for some reason. :P

But yay Borders! It was fun.

Avatar Image says:

It’s 5AM and Im SO gonna pay for staying up this late but I got wrapped up in the book club. It was interesting to hear all of those theories, especially the girl who was Tonks. Her theory that the trophy was a horcrux, she has a point, Jo does mention it alot.

Good…morning….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Avatar Image says:

Alyson, you look a lot like Leelee Sobieski!

Avatar Image says:

I really enjoyed it. The Draco character was rather interesting if I must say so myself…

Avatar Image says:

good to hear ya all getting along

Avatar Image says:

I really enjoyed “attending” the bookclub, hovering in the ether like a Hogwarts ghost:)

I think that there ought to be a similar event at around Halloween, when the avid fans will have read and re-read Deathly Hallows several times. I feel that the end of the saga deserves to be marked significantly: Arthur Levine and Mary GrandPre were obviously very moved by Book 7. We might all find ourselves needing to de-brief!

Avatar Image says:

Leaky hasn’t posted it yet but…the “do not disturb” sign on JKRowling.com’s door is back and paper’s are being marked…exciting!!!

Hey all from Borders -

Loved shooting this event. Truly blown away by the conversations and theories. Was just awesome. Was like you all were old friends and had been hanging out together for years. Kudos to everyone who participated, with extra thanks to John, Melissa and Sue for all the hard work and extra love you all put in for us down in New Orleans.

By the way – yes, the Draco in our book club used his real name. He had it legally changed. You can also see a picture of our book club Draco with what appears to be his real dad (in full Lucius Malfoy attire) in the pictures section of George Beahm’s book about the Harry Potter fandom, Muggles and Magic.

Cheers all - rich

Avatar Image says:

That was SO cool!! I was absolutely thrilled with this release! Thank you Borders for supporting the best PodCast ever!

Avatar Image says:

Linda—Thanks! I get that a lot (but usually only on my good-looking days … which, fortunately, that was one. Today is not haha.

If I remember correctly, Draco had actually officially had his name changed just the day before. He and “Lucius” stayed in costume for the ENTIRE conference, which was really cool. Every now and again they were accompanied by a girl dressed as a house elf (who was often attached to Lucius by a rope)—very funny.

Kerri—Carol, the girl who was dressed as Tonks, and I hung out a lot after the taping. She was one of the coolest people I met at PR, with TONS of amazing theories.

I’m glad you all are liking watching this as much as we like taping it!!

Avatar Image says:

Did Draco change his last name too? Lol that is an extreme fan. And did he take up an English accent too?

Avatar Image says:

The Leaky team should post a story on that Draco character. It’d be great to know what made him change his name and everything.

Avatar Image says:

Linda: Draco did not change his last name. I can’t remember what it was, but it definitely wasn’t Malfoy.

He did have an English accent, but it was genuine. Born and raised in the UK (sorry, don’t remember what part), recently moved to Massachusetts.

He was quite a character. Very shy, or at least he was at the taping. He seemed quite animated with his friends.

Oh man that taping was such a blast. Having been a fan for seven years (and a regular Leaky visitor for about that long), to get to sit next to Melissa and chat Potter with a bunch of avid fans - just before the publication of the final book - and have it taped where I could download it and keep it forever was just the most perfect experience.

I had no idea when I left for PR that it was going to happen either. I was at the live PotterCast on Thursday night and volunteered to go up front and recite the prophecy from memory. Based on that, representatives from Borders approached me and asked if I’d like to take part in a fan panel that would be webcast. It wasn’t until the next day when I arrived and saw that Melissa, John, and Sue were all there that I realized exactly WHAT I had lucked into.

Totally awesome.

Avatar Image says:

EDIT: I didn’t mean for “just before the publication of the final book” to be crossed out. I was just trying to use dashes. Whoops. Well, now I know how to cross things out. :-)

Avatar Image says:

Oh you are so lucky Alyson! It must have been a great experience. I’d love to meet the PotterCast team, but unless they tour Australia anytime soon, that surely won’t happen. What were they like in person Alyson?

Avatar Image says:

Linda, they were just like you’d think they would be. Lovely, nice, wonderful people who are happy to sit around and talk Potter (or anything else) with you. It’s really nice to meet someone and know instantly that you have a common bond, something to talk about.

Melissa was even nice enough to stand with me forever while my mom was trying to get her camera to work after the live PotterCast. And the next day while they were setting up the taping, she gladly showed me the ring Jo gave her and was happy to talk to me a little bit about the interview. She and Sue both chatted with me easily whenever I ran into them over the course of the weekend, like we were old friends.

John is more shy than you would expect, kind of like his mom indicated in PC 89. I hardly got to talk to him at all, mostly because it seemed to me that he wanted to keep to himself and to his friends, and I respect that.

I’m sure they’ll eventually make it to Australia. Especially after Melissa’s book becomes a bestseller and she can afford it. knock on wood

Avatar Image says:

Alyson- That’s sounds great. Nice to know they are down to earth people. It’d be great to meet Mellisa, see I am a journalist too (got one more semester to go at Uni!) and I really do admire her. Where abouts in the U.S are you from?

Avatar Image says:

Linda, I’m from Nashville, TN. I’d love to chat with you more! Drop me an email at aly4web@comcast.net or just message me on the Lounge. I’m La_Sorciere.

Write a Reply or Comment