MTV: Identity of Character in OotP too Important to Cut Revealed

207

Jun 25, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A few days ago during the press junket, there was a mention about a character that faced the possibility of being written out of the script for the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix film. However, when producers were discussing this possibility with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, she said if this character were to be removed and they were to work on the film for book seven, the omission would “have them tied in knots,” when time came to make the film of “Deathly Hallows.” Much ado and speculation resulted as the identity of this character was not revealed…until now.

MTV has received official confirmation of this character from OotP director David Yates, and has a quote about this as well. Please note that this is not a Book Seven spoiler as there is much mention of the character from Book Six, however if you are wishing to avoid anything about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, plus a mention of a missing plot point from OotP stop reading now.

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

• The character in question is that of Black family House elf, Kreacher. “Order of the Phoenix” director David Yates remarked on what J.K. Rowling’s reaction was to the possible omission and the article notes:

“It was Kreacher, actually’ director David Yates confirmed to MTV News on Sunday. “We took Kreacher out, and Jo said, ˜Listen guys, you don’t have to put Kreacher back, but I’m just telling you, if you want to kind of keep a thread going for six and seven, you might want Kreacher to come back.’ She basically told us Kreacher plays a role in Seven, in a sense. She hinted. We thought about it for five seconds, and he came back.”

What you won’t see in the Kreacher scenes, however, is him squirreling away any artifacts such as, say, a mysterious locket no one can open (see “Elf’s Absence From Next ˜Harry Potter’ Flick Opens Up Plot Questions”). “Bad David!” Daniel Radcliffe, who plays Harry, teased his director about the locket’s absence. “It was kind of tricky to raise that in our story, because it’s for so much later’ Yates said. “We figured we can probably introduce it later, and that’s the approach we took.”

52 Responses to MTV: Identity of Character in OotP too Important to Cut Revealed

Avatar Image says:

Sweeeeeeet !!!! We guessed right.

Interesting comments about the locket!

Avatar Image says:

Ah, well. That’s not too hard to guess. Kreacher could easily be taken out out of OOTP, but that leaves a massive hole when they get to seven and R.A.B. gets into the cave and steals the locket by himself…

The above is pure speculation, of course.

Avatar Image says:

Neat! Helps confirm the Kreacher stole it vs. Mundungus nicked it debate. Kreacher—you little rascal!

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher definitely looks like I imagined.

Avatar Image says:

O.k. so can we assume that the creature on harry’s back on the u.k. cover of deathly hallows is in fact kreacher? I don’t know, i mean, if we guess it’s kreacher at least we know that kreacher does have an important role in DH.

Avatar Image says:

Surely Keacher is bound to have another trick up his sleeve. Would house elves be prohibited to carry objects out of their master;s house, even if discarded? Is till think Mundungus handed it over to Aberforth, though.

Avatar Image says:

I KNEW IT!!! For a second I thought that it was Umbridge, as I’m sure all of us would like her taken out by some centaurs, but then my mind jumped to Kreacher, I knew it! WB obviously does not like House-elves. Its a shame they cut Dobby and Winky but kept the worst elf of them all…

Avatar Image says:

Duh! Of course Kreacher has a meaningful role to play in Book 7! Jo never introduces a character like Kreacher (and gives him a substantial amount of dialog) without it being important to the overall story. (WB execs, please read the books more thoroughly or hire Melissa or Steve Vander Ark as consultants :))

Thank goodness Jo is involved with these movies and is there to set them straight. And thank goodness for Yates being humble enough to listen.

15 more days!

Avatar Image says:

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Well, it’s not a chapter title, but it’s something at least… -B

Avatar Image says:

Really I was hoping for something like Aberforth at the Hogsheade or something. Kreacher I am not surprised. I guess I spend too much time on Leaky I could have guessed Kreacher.

Yup, I knew it be Kreacher. Didn’t need this to confirm it lol

Avatar Image says:

Well, no Duh! This winds us back to the locket that wouldn’t open, the Black family tree, the mysterious RAB (Regulus A. Black) and the horcrux hunt. Kreacher is the only living link to all those things. The only question that remains is will Harry get the brainwave in the first 150 pages or the last.

Avatar Image says:

Not unexpected but still nice of Mr Yates to put us out of our misery 25 days early! I do believe now that Kreacher had a role in the destruction of the locket with RAB. I would be Harrys life on it. Seriously I would! Anyway with this news and my belief that Kreacher also appears on the DH cover behind Harry I really am expecting a good reason as to why this elf helped out in the plan to kill Sirius! Although Jo did say we would find out the reasons behind Sirius death didnt she?!

Avatar Image says:

Hmm. I thought it would’ve been Kingsley Shacklebolt. I think it’s because I wasn’t imagining OOTP film without Kreacher at all. Honestly, how ridiculous can you get. 12 Grimmauld Place wouldn’t be the same without him….I think they’re beginning to get lazy. Next thing you’ll know they’ll leave out Ginny from HBP.

Avatar Image says:

And here I was thinking it was for sure Aberforth, since they got rid of Dung. I’m not surprised that it was Kreacher, though. We all know he’s going to be important in DH, its really not news in that aspect, but I don’t understand WHY they would want to get rid of him? Don’t they read the books?!

Avatar Image says:

Donna, I agree with you 100%. Does anyone really know why they keep on wanting to leave out the house elf characters? Kreacher plays such a huge role in the 5th book and in the 6th it takes Kreacher to prove Harry’s ownership over Number Twelve. Just like Donna, I never imagnined this movie without Kreacher. Bah. I hope they didn’t leave as much out in this film as they did in the fourth. Only a short time left until we find out!!! I am still SO excited, regardless of the fact that I am a little skeptical. :o)

ooo it WAS krecher!

wow. glad they kept him!

and locket comments. hmmmmmm

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, thought so, especially after seeing the book cover…

Hey Leaky, something slightly OT -Feedback didn’t work and I found no Main side staff in the forums. The comments on the text-only don’t seem to work properly. They seem to be kind of “decoupled” from the ones on the full Leaky version. Meaning that hardly any comment shows up there anymore.

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher tricked Harry into going to the Dept. of Mysteries by telling him that Sirius was there, and in mortal danger. Sirius and the Order followed Harry, eventually leading to Sirius’s DEATH. By taking Kreacher out/giving him a minimal role, they’re leaving out a crucial part of the 5th book. What are they thinking?

Avatar Image says:

I’ll bet that Kreacher helped Regulus get the horcrux locket from its original hiding place because there was no way Regulus could have done it alone considering Dumbledore needed Harry’s help to get the fake one.

Avatar Image says:

I knew it was Kreacher. I don’t think its that WB hates house-elves. I think its that they are so expensive to make. It’s not just hiring an extra actor. Its all the CGI and them making the actors “Act” to a round ball, which is hard for them too. I love the characters, but I understand why WB leaves them out when they can. I’m glad he was put back in. I missed Winky in GoF.

Avatar Image says:

maybe jk just wants to keep the “thread” or hope. as in it could just be a red herring. either way, we will just have to wait and see

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear this means I’ll have to go back to my DH predictions thingy and change my decision from Dobby to Kreacher (since Dobby has been conspicuously absent from the movies since book 2 and I don’t think he’ll be coming back?) Oh dear…but yeah, reminds me I should actually preorder my DH book (whoops, I’m a little late on the ball, ah well).

Avatar Image says:

“Bad, David!” lol I love this boy. Very well said Dan! That’s what I was thinking while I was reading it!

But at least they included him in the movie, maybe in the last movie they can imply that it was obvious Kreacher took it or well I don’t know.

I’m very curious to see what will do Harry when he sees Kreacher again in book 7 after all what happened with Sirius… it will be very interesting to see all of this in OotP movie.

I like how Kreacher looks in the movie too. It’s obvious the special effects have really developed since the time Dobby was created! Kreacher looks much more real.

Avatar Image says:

I thought it was Aberforth Dumbledore, too. I didn’t even think about Kreacher. I guess I assumed he was always going to be in O.O.P. After all, he’s prety important to the plot. I missed Winky from GOF, too. I think her absence left a bit of a gap in the whole plot about Crouch Junior. I guess they already do so much C. G. imagery that adding another house-elf is just too much work.

Avatar Image says:

Come on! They could at least have the locket in the background! Just to say that it was there… Come on WB, whip out another “digital fix” like you did with Tom Riddle’s grave and digitally add in the darn locket! I can’t believe they’d leave out a freaking horcrux! geez!

Avatar Image says:

It isn’t surprising that Kreacher is important to book 7 considering how he was used in book 6, but I have no idea how they planned to make the plot of book 5 work without him. I think the screenwriters took to much for granted in Goblet of Fire and many people I saw it with are not especially interested in OoTP because they thought GoF was too confusing.

Avatar Image says:

Lets see so thats about 2 or 3 DH Spoilers in about a 2 week ratio. On another Note: I think that WB cares about money instead of sticking to the plot ALFONSO CARONE

Avatar Image says:

I am sure Dobby will reappear in book seven. As for Kreacher, he is such a double edge sword, I would keep him at arms length at all times. I do not trust him one bit, the little swine.

Honnestly, I cannot see him helping Harry, unless he receives a direct order to that effect and then… He would need to be under constant surveillance by one of the DA members.

I am on hot burning coals.

Avatar Image says:

Well of course it was Kreacher. My cry in the wilderness since HBP came out is “Kreacher! Kreacher is the key”. Jo was brilliant with this RAB thing. As I presume she knew they would, people ferreted out Regulus Black right away. And then all sorts of people proceeded to construct all sorts of theories about a powerful, smart, resourceful Regulus despite the fact everything we know about him from cannon says he was a bit of a spoiled rich doofus who managed to get in over his head, get scared couldn’t get away. And was so unimportant that Voldie didn’t even bother to kill him personally but had a thug do it. Yet we are to believe he could deal with that cave, could find destroy horcruxes only a couple of years out of Hogwarts?? I just can’t see it.

BUT there is someone in the Black house who is clearly a powerful and probably dark wizard…or witch. Someone who can weld all the strange objects found there. Someone who had two kids and but only really liked one of ‘em—-the one Voldie killed. Good enough reason for Mama Black to go looking for revenge against the person responsible for her favorite son’s death. And who is Mama Blacks little helper? Who adored her even in death? Who carried on her hates, her grudges and bigotries? Who would have assisted her in the cave, would have “kept her secrets and her silence” as any good elf? Kreacher of course. And who survived with pretty much no punishment, betraying (or helping at least) Sirius in such a way that led to his death? Why was he not tossed in Azkaban? Because it is important for the plot that he be out…..remember the big scene at the Dursley’s where it was demonstrated that Harry is Kreacher’s master AND that Kreacher has no choice but to obey a command from Harry. It wasn’t to show Harry owns number Twelve as much as it was to show that Harry owns and controls Kreacher. Kreacher knows about horcruxes and if Harry asks he MUST tell. And he knows a lot as he was at the side of the person who DID figure it all out, not Regulus but a REALLT ticked off Mama Black(and we know from that portrait that a ticked off Mamma Black is NOT a pretty sight!!) A Momma who was so ticked off she went after Voldie’s soul and when she did it and left him a note in the name of her son, RAB the for whom she was taking vengeance.

The whole scene of Mundungus taking stuff was just to again divert attention from Kreacher. It’s not so simple as Kreacher hoards the locket, Dung snatches the locket and somehow Harry gets the locket—-Kreacher KNOWS about far more than that locket and Dung is a distractiion

It is Kreacher folks, Kreacher is the key! Don’t waste time thinking about RAB --he is just a diversion so you don’t look too closely at Krecher. You see Kreacher’s bald little head popping up on the UK cover, not Regulus’ or Dung’s !!! ;0)

Kreacher….a month from now y’ll gonna be saying “Wow! Kreacher!! Who saw that coming!!”

And you will remember thing and know…..

—Huge Grin—-

Avatar Image says:

Felipe, he didn’t say they left out the locket, he just said there is not a scene where we see Krecher taking it. Which I can understand because there are so many important things to include in this movie, it would make the movie boring if they start adding things that a lot of people won’t understand until the last one. We want so many things: a lot of scenes we would like to be included, a lot of characters, it’s jut not possible. I’m happy they included Kreacher, that’s the most important thing of all this. :) When the last come comes then it’s when we can wonder how they will do it.

So… do you think the house elf in the British cover of the last book is Kreacher? I thought it was Dobby but now… I just don’t know.

Avatar Image says:

Ok is it just me or is was that locket comment a huge spoiler? I know we’ve been speculating that Kreacher has one of the horcruxes (the locket that cannot be opened) ever since HBP came out almost 2 yrs ago. Is this official confirmation of that theory?! For reference, here’s Yates’ quote: “What you won’t see in the Kreacher scenes, however, is him squirreling away any artifacts such as, say, a mysterious locket no one can open”

Avatar Image says:

Didn’t we know this information a long time ago? I distinctly remember already reading that JK told them to keep Kreacher in the movie because he’d be important later. That had to be almost a year ago.

Avatar Image says:

the reason house elfs are cut because it literaly cost half a million dollars to actually do a house elf. they are very expensive to do.

Avatar Image says:

No surprise there. But it’s nice to know for sure it’s Kreacher. I “knew” it, but then I considered various Order members, and asked myself, if I was wrong. I DO wish I could watch the movie. But I’m afraid I have to wait for the DVD. :( When the second movie came out, my first son was a very small baby. I had all planned: breastfeed him a lot and one last time at the last possible moment, dash to the movie, watch it, dash back, feed him again when he wakes up. Haha. I did as I had planned, but the baby woke up early and screamed like mad for about an hour. We have another baby now. I mentioned the possibility that I might go and watch the OotP movie, but my husband said no way. Only if I’d stop breastfeeding first. Well, I’d do a lot to be able to watch the movie, but I won’t go that far.

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah…with everything else going on with the new movie and book, I’d almost forgotten about Kreacher altogether! :)

Did they ever actually announce who’s playing Kreacher in the film, by the way, or did I just miss that?

I kind of thought that…

Avatar Image says:

I’m sure I read somewhere on Leaky ages ago this story, that Kreacher was almost left out but Jo said to keep him in. Or maybe I’m just better at Divination than I thought… :-)

Avatar Image says:

Did I get it wrong when re-reading 5 and 6 in preparation for 7 or is Dumbledore the Secret Keeper for the location of 12 Grimmauld Place? So with him dead, how does the order even still know where it is? Or how does that work? Just wondering…

Kreacher looks so wonderfully evil, though, glad they kept him. I think it’s a given that he still knows something and will provide important information in the Horcrux hunt – maybe not just the locket!

Avatar Image says:

Well, it’s not that surprising, but does this mean he’ll have to be kept in movie 6 for continuation also? They probably hate having to spend so much on the animation.

Avatar Image says:

My first thought was Grawp, actually. It never even occurred to me that they would leave Kreacher out! Even so, it sounds as if Kreacher makes a very limited appearance in the OotP film. Boo :-)

Avatar Image says:

OK i have a theory and this sort of backs it up. Everything points to a sort of coming together of wizards against voldemort and house elfs! Of COURSE the house elfs are going to be on the side of the Order, just like Voldy has the dementors and giants. Its the reason that Hermiones obsession with house elf liberation is so important and of course the elf on the cover is holding the SWORD! They have there own brand of powerful magic and will be key to the plot of DH. I think there will be a sort of uniting of the magical brethren from the fountain at the MoM.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad they are not showing Kreacher take the locket. I think that would be presumptuous of them. We don’t know for sure that is what happened to it. I hope they keep in his mumbling insults under his breath. That is some of the funniest stuff in OOTP, especially as read by Jim Dale.

Avatar Image says:

kreacher is well designed…....he looks really OLD…...he really looks like an old brat…the look on his face makes me sick…no wonder sirius doesn’t like him…i really didn’t think of him being an important character in the 7th book…...i was expecting Tonks , Kingsley,......it was really a surprise….

Avatar Image says:

Maybe a spoiler, maybe a blurr : I thought RAB was one of the shop guys. You readers know who & why. I’m probably wrong so don’t bust ya chops with it

Avatar Image says:

They have messed with the plot line, with characters and with importance events so much that I find I do not really enjoy watching the movies, particularty from #4 onward.

Avatar Image says:

They have messed with the plot, characters and important events so much that I find that I really do not enjoy watching the movies like I thought I would, particularly from #4 on.

Avatar Image says:

I never thought of RAB being one of the shop dude where Tom was working after Hogwarts. Even if Regulus if a “fine guess”. I think it is an interesting point. If those guys works in a black magic shop, they surely know about the horcruxes, at least a bit, just enough to give more infos to You-Know-Who… And the theory of Kreacher helping Regulus in the cave, DD said it, you couln’t have done it alone, of course maybe the weird powers of Kreacher made him resist when he drank the water DD drank… And the Mama Black avenging her beloved son is just for me as stupid as Sirius falling over the veil and appearing into the world of Narnia…

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t re-read but didn’t one of them (B&B) disappear whilst scouting for items? The family (Reg) is a big part, I feel it would be a little …squashed if that was all there was to it. (It may be like Quincy tv; my best friend for 20 years is a mass murderer, next week my ex etc. ad nauseum every american cop show!) I believe Jo a more interesting writer, but hey that’s just my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

“We figured we can probably introduce [the locket] later, and that’s the approach we took.”

Uh, you mean, just like you intended to introduce the fact that James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter created the Marauders’ Map later on in another movie?

I’m still waiting.

SB

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Yup Kreacher is a key character all right!

Write a Reply or Comment