EW Features Alan Rickman, More from Teen Vogue on Trio

247

Jun 26, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There are a few mentions of actors from the Harry Potter films in magazines to tell you about.

First, Teen Vogue has posted online some additional quotes from their feature on the trio of Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. Among the things posted is this quote from Emma Watson on her role as Hermione Granger:

“Hermione in this one is really about trying to take Harry out of himself. He feels very isolated and alone and he’s kind of lost in a big way, so he separates himself from everything he cares about, which is Hermione and Ron because he thinks that’s easier. And so Hermione’s job is kind of to get him involved again and show him that he does have something really important to offer and that he can do great things. She gives him back his self’worth, really. It’s quite an important role.”

Also, a new photo of actor Alan Rickman is featured in Entertainment Weekly (you can see it here in our galleries as well). The article, about “The Movie Stars We’re Loving Right Now,” says the following about the acclaimed actor who so memorably portrays Professor Severus Snape:

Alan Rickman
Most Valuable Player

WHY HIM As the icy, humorless magic instructor Severus Snape in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (opening July 11), Rickman may not be on screen long ” but he owns every minute. He’s magnificently intimidating, whether jousting with Daniel Radcliffe’s Harry or turning a simple retort (”No idea”) into a mini-symphony of contempt. A stage veteran, Rickman can go from villainous (Die Hard) to heartbreaking (Truly Madly Deeply).

NEXT He’s the lecherous Judge Turpin opposite Johnny Depp in Tim Burton’s Sweeney Todd.

31 Responses to EW Features Alan Rickman, More from Teen Vogue on Trio

Re: The Alan Rickman pic

Oh, yum.

Avatar Image says:

aahh i knew alan would wind up in tim burtons claws sooner or later.. _ lets just hope he doesnt get locked in burtons dungeon with shackles along side jonny depp.. (yes that whole myth about a house and family in france is just for the press. tim burton holds jonny depp prisoner and only takes him out when he wants to play with him.) i think burton only recently set winona ryder and cathlene ohare free… lol

i wonder if alan will be his NEW captive..

Avatar Image says:

I got my copy on Saturday and was so excited (but since I don’t have a scanner or a digital camera I can’t share). Also, “Deathly Hallows” is listed in their book section as one of the “must” summer reads. I’m sure they’ll post that too! Ah! The Summer of Potter.

Avatar Image says:

I wish Hermione wasn’t the hero of the movie.

Avatar Image says:

How nice to see Rickman being recognized. And how weird that it’s for films where he sees so little screen time. No matter, though. Alan rocks whatever amount of material he’s given. I can’t wait to see what he, Burton and Depp do with Sweeny Todd.

Avatar Image says:

Agreed, ania. I’m not sure why Emma thinks Hermione’s the only one trying to pull Harry out of himself – in the book it was pretty much equal ‘pulling’ between Hermione and Ron, not to mention they seemed to work well as a team toward that purpose.

Avatar Image says:

Oh come on guys – give Emma a break! The article says “quote from Emma Watson on HER ROLE AS HERMIONE GRANGER” – it doesn’t say Emma Watson quoting on her pivotal role in the trio of friends, or her role in the movie overall! Perhaps you should SEE THE MOVIE before getting stuck into Emma for a small quote about how her role fits in the movie. She is only commenting from her perspective and her experience. She is also given lines to read and has to listen to a Director remember – it is not Emma’s personal choice on how Hermione appears in the movie – she is simply doing the job given to her.

Avatar Image says:

Hermione tries to pull Harry out of himself? What role does Ron play, I wonder? I also wonder whether Watson realizes that Hermione also plays the role of creating the DA and is basically the leader of the anti-Umbridge movement, from the first day of school.

Avatar Image says:

I’m pretty sure Emma’s job was describe Hermione’s role, not Ron’s. If Rupert isn’t representing Ron properly that’s his fault, not Emma’s! Please don’t hate on Emma when she’s actually got something right…

Avatar Image says:

Emma is describing HER ROLE AS HERMIONE GRANGER. It is not her responsibility to describe Rupert’s role as Ron! To quote Hermione – honestly, don’t you people read?

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, Alan! He plays wonderful villians, but is a great all around actor. Great gentleman and lover as C Brandon. TMD is a sensitive love story. Concerned father in Perfume. Still waiting to see Snow Cake. Looking forward as well to Sweeny Todd. This is an Alan Rickman year.

Avatar Image says:

I know she’s not describing her role as Ron Weasley, thank you very much. She also said in an interview couple of days ago:

“It’s quite powerful for Hermione, this one. She’s the one who makes everything happen. It’s very similar to the role she had in the third one where she’s just like “Right, we’re going to do this and you guys are coming with me.” (laughs) She’s dragging them off everywhere so it’s really cool. It’s a powerful female role.”

Yeah, go Power Granger. She’s lucky Umbridge outpinks her in this one.

Avatar Image says:

If Hermione is the hero of the movie, or has played too big a part in any of the previous movies, that is hardly Emma’s doing.

Avatar Image says:

One distinguished Australian actor told me that it was the job of every actor to play the role as if the entire plot was about that character—no matter the premise of the series or film.

Thus, Emma’s just got the right mindset as an actress: she IS the brains of the trio, and Harry’s just a schoolmate that tags along with her. It doesn’t matter that his name is on the movie title. That’s the directors’ decision/mistake.

Avatar Image says:

In OotP especially, I don’t think hermy was trying to pull Harry out of anything.

She suggested the DA cause SHE wanted to learn. And force-helps the elves, cause SHE wants too, which of course has nothing to do with Harry. Eh, what else has she done? Leading Umridge into the forest? To save all their skins, not to pull anyone out of their “isolation”. Honestly, she was even more impatient with Harry with his little tantrums than Ron was.

Oh, well, whatever floats the filmmakers’ boat… I suppose..

Avatar Image says:

I loved Emma’s comment that she buys Dan clothes! I take it she means she picks them out for him- wish I could see that happening! Also loved Dan’s comment about how he felt he should have lived in the early 1800’s -what? Don’t know what happened back then, I’m going to have to look back and see what was happening back then – and see what they were wearing lol! I love his fashion sense; he’s always wearing something different, not just the tshirt and jeans combo-which was verrrry nice in those cricket shots. Funny how E and D got all those comments in and Rupert got space but nothing really was said.

Avatar Image says:

Power Granger…..that’s one of the funniest potter-related things I’ve seen.

Avatar Image says:

It’s funny because I somtimes feel like if I had a past life it was from the romantic age where women wore long lacey dresses and men wore waist coats and wingedtiped shoes. Im in very much agreemnet with Daniel about the early 1800’s. People were supposed to show some decorum and properness in public but behind closed doors people were passionate and everything was exciting. Daniel, you have an old soul, and I love it!

Avatar Image says:

Rupert, your a man of few words and seem so shy. It’s very endearing. I wonder how Emma goes from talkative Dan thats so full of energy to Rupert who seems layed back and quiet.

She seems to hold the fort down. You know what they say, “Behind every good man is a strong woman.”

Avatar Image says:

I think Emma’s got it right and kudos to her for her perseptive read on the plot! Showing Harry his own potential is one of the huge roles that Hermione plays in OOTP. Yes, cinderella, she has her selfish motives too, but as the loyal friend and insightful person that she is, I have no doubt that she also believes the DA will help Harry find a purpose.

Avatar Image says:

Hermoine is a very powerful character; so just stop being so critical of Emma please!

Avatar Image says:

There’s supposed to be an interview with Dan on ET Canada- tomorrow. It will be different from the American version( different reporters)

Avatar Image says:

Alan Rickman rocks Snape. That is all.

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE HIM!!!! I guess they didnt mention He was also in Robin Hood: PRince of THieves (Knottingham) ANd 1 of my favorites (Col. Brandon) In Sense And Sensibility Rickman Rocks!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Ericka- yes Sense and Sensibility! I was in love with Col. Brandon. Couldn’t think why whatshername only hankered after Willoughby!

Talking of which- that’s more or less the era Dan’s talking about.

Hermione- she does initiate the DA thing and it’s not just to pass her exams. She ticks Harry off (via Ron) when he snaps at them. She draws Harry from victim mode to fighter mode. She’s also the one who tries to reason with Harry when he gets het up about the Sirius vision. So I think Emma’s got that bit right. Harry is looked upon as leader especially once the DA starts, which judging by the Henry V comments, I think they have put into the film.

But Hermione (and Ron) also comes across as nervous of Harry’s temper in this book, so she’s not quite Power-Granger. I wonder if they’ll get that across.

Avatar Image says:

Why does every report on the trio have to end in discussing Emma or Rupert (coughbashingcough). Dan, Emma and Rupert seem to genuinely like each other. They are great. As are the characters they play. It is not their fault the WB has no idea of what JK Rowling´s wonderful characters really are or how to bring these appropriately onscreen. Each of the actors has a different personality and they are all wonderful, why can´t we just give them a break?

Avatar Image says:

Accio, it’s so true. EVERY TIME there is anything with the trio, it ends up becoming a battle field.

I really can’t wait ‘til all these films are over then we can all go our seperate ways.

Okay, back to Rickman…

Too funny ‘snitch.’ Tim Burton locks up Johnny Depp. I was laughing. I am so excited about ‘Sweeney Todd’ I had to write. Love, love, love Rickman in both menacing and loving roles. I watched a ‘Snow Cake’ trailer months ago it seems…looking forward to that as well. He absolutely ROCKS as Snape! I know it’s not totally his character – more for a laugh in the film – but I love the scene in GOF when Snape is smacking Ron & Harry in the heads while they discuss the ball. Hilarious!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I’m a dork who posts things twice.

Yum &hearts