Imelda Staunton Speaks on Umbridge

119

Jun 26, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actress Imelda Staunton discusses her role as Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in a new article, where she describes the film to be ”…a very serious piece of work.” The actress also relates in the interview, her joy in playing both sides of Umbridge, being both ‘sweet and well-meaning as well as controlling and duplicitous.’ She goes on to note, the difficulty of some scenes to film, saying of one scene in particular:

“It was horrible doing the scene when Dolores makes Harry do his detention, and the blood appears on his hand,” she said. “You put yourself in that realm as a person who’s capable of doing that, and it was very uncomfortable for me afterwards. I did the scene fine, but then I felt horrible. It was horrible, horrible being someone like that. But Dan, he could handle it. He’s been through enough on these films.”

17 Responses to Imelda Staunton Speaks on Umbridge

Avatar Image says:

I suppose when they’re filming it’s just Harry writing and gasping in pain, because the blood on his hand would be computer generated. Or did they paint the words in blood on Radcliff’s hand, and use computer effects to make it disappear? I wonder how that scene works, and it would be really interesting to find out.

Also, glad to know Staunton doesn’t enjoy greatly being Umbridge. If she did, you’d have to wonder about what sort of a person she is…

Avatar Image says:

You would think that she would’ve had a harder time with one of the other scenes, in which she does something quite a bit worse to Harry. But, I suppose you had to be there.

Avatar Image says:

I would think this would be one of the worst, since it is so drawn out and deliberate and personal on so many different levels. Very cruel.

Ordering a dementor to go and destroy Harry is less so, since she doesn’t have to be there. Less messy!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I wonder how they filmed it that made her felt so horrible, what on earth they did to Dan? I’ve read that scene is really creeey, but I didn’t know it is SO creepy! It’s certainly nasty in the book! Now I can not wait to se it!

Robbie, I know the one you are talking about, I wonder how many times they had to repeat that one! O_o

So that scene is in the movie then? YAY! :]

Avatar Image says:

How refreshing to know that even playing a ficticious nasty character can be intolerable for a sensitive actor.

Bravo! Imelda. Your acting is even more admirable. How we will love to hate you in that role.

Keep on trucking.

Avatar Image says:

hmm… trying to remember where in the book that Umbridge has a “sweet and well-meaning” side… nope, can’t.

Avatar Image says:

Robbie and Luis, I’m not so sure I know the scen eyou are talking about. I can remember a lot of very nasty moments with Umbridge and Harry together. Would you mind to tell me? ;) Or would that be to much of a spoiler for people, how hasn’t read the book? I guess the mentioning of the writing-on-the-hand scene is quite a bit of a giveaway for those people anyway, so would you please tell me?

Please?????

Avatar Image says:

Mom Weasley: I’m with you. Umbridge, “sweet and well-meaning”? Um, when?? That scene with Harry in his first detention is going to make me angry all over again! It was at that point during my first reading of the book that I decided Dolores must DIE!!!!

Avatar Image says:

the “part” Deloris Umbridge is a very difficult character to portray , I am glad that she feels the importanve of the part.

Avatar Image says:

I agree; Dolores Umbridge is the opposite of sweet and well-meaning. However, she pretends to be sweet and loving, so maybe that’s what Staunton means. I hope so!

Avatar Image says:

Gry1 – well, I was referring to the scene when Umbridge pulled Harry out of the fire by his hair, then proceeded to threaten him with the Cruciatus curse.

I can only hope Luis was thinking the same thing, :)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Robbie! And yes, that truely is a rather nasty one, that scene. I do myself feel that the writing-on-the-hand is worse, though. It is a more cool, thought-out kind of cruelty than I think the threatning-with-the-curse-scene, whice I see as more of a fir of rage and obsession.

But then again, we all experience these things differently I guess.

About Umbridge being “well-meaning”, I think she really do believe (at least part of the way), that what she does to the school is for the best, both for the students and for her beloved ministry. At least I think she has convinced herself, that it is so.

fit, not fir…. Sorry

Avatar Image says:

They acually bled the poor guy

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, it’s true that it is a more calculating way to torture someone. But if I was an actor, I would feel much more guilty about having to pull someone around by the head than having to sit there and watch him squirm around a bit, especially if that person is only 17 years old, yanno?

Avatar Image says:

I’m going to die when I see that scene, it’ll be so cool!

Write a Reply or Comment