115

Jun 27, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

US Harry Potter publishers Scholastic issued a press release today about their plans to hold a “Harry Potter Place” street celebration party for the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Taking place at their headquarters in New York City, Scholastic said things would kick off with a press conference at 8am on July 20, “where the first author-signed U.S. edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be unveiled.”

“Harry Potter Place,” located outside Scholastic headquarters at Mercer St. between
Prince and Spring, is scheduled to open to the public later that day at 5pm. Other details of the street party include a 20 foot high moving Whomping Willow, a giant Muggle Board where you can post your thoughts about the book, as well a last chance for fans to visit the Knight Bus which will return for its final stop and be open from 10am until 6pm. Other activities include

“face-painting, wand-making, fire-eaters, magicians, jugglers and stilt-walkers. Harry Potter fans of all ages will also be able to have their photos taken with the cover art from
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in the special Deathly Hallows Gallery. As the excitement builds, the Countdown Clock will track the hours, minutes and seconds until the 12:01 a.m. release.

To help celebrate the launch of the final Harry Potter book, Scholastic has organized a special Harry Potter reunion for winners of the Harry Potter essay contests from past book launches of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000), Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2003) and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2005). These fans will be reunited at “Harry Potter Place” and be part of the press conference and the midnight launch of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

Sounds like fun!

21 Responses to Scholastic to Hold “Harry Potter Place” Street Celebration for “Deathly Hallows” Release

Avatar Image says:

I so wish I could be there!!!!

Avatar Image says:

That sounds so cool, i wish i could be there!

Avatar Image says:

I’d go if I lived in New York. I’d want to see that 20ft. whomping willow! :D Get pictures!!!

Avatar Image says:

I wish I could go :( Darn.

Avatar Image says:

of course i’m a half an hour away by train, and of course I CANT GO because i’m a working schlub. :( i wonder if they’ll let me take a day off just for harry?

Oh that’s great!

Avatar Image says:

Another activity would be warding off spoiler trolls that are bound to show up.

Seriously, I wouldn’t bother going.

Avatar Image says:

Dude…how could you not want to go?

the book is being released at 12:01, where you can go home and wait to get it. Honestly, no one’s going to be spoiling it because no ones gonna be there who’s read it except those in charge!

I’m totally there. =]

Avatar Image says:

Well getting up after an event and working until 1 am going to new york and waiting for theevent that is not opened to the public until later that evening. New York. Live twenty minutes away but the excitement is gone. TOO much publicity and I just want the book.

Avatar Image says:

Debate: Jim Dale or Scholastic? I mean, I love Jim Dale, but this seems SO cool… and… I don’t know. The debate will continue, I guess!

Avatar Image says:

se pasan son unos chismos no tienen q decir cosas si no saben primero bean y despues hablen tontos

Avatar Image says:

That sounds awesomely pottertastic!

Avatar Image says:

HELP! I’m going to be in London during July and I was wondering if anyone knew where to go to for book 7’s midnight release party? Like which bookstore hosts the biggest party for book seven?

Thanks in advance!!

Avatar Image says:

It does indeed sound like fun, and I would totally be there except…how are we supposed to get our books at midnight? Are they taking pre-orders at the Scholastic store? It would be a little anti-climactic to all be counting down to the release, but have nowhere to buy the book.

Avatar Image says:

Oh I want to go too! Someone please post pics if you go!! How fun!

Avatar Image says:

I lived in NY when HBP was released and went to it with my son and his friends. I had more fun than them. There were live owls, a magic trick booth, face painting (sounds lame I know but they painted my face like an owl so I liked it), and a TON of other stuff. You had to wait in line for a bit but I found it was well worth it. We even made our own wands! I’m trying to get back there for this one. I’m dying to see the bus!!

Avatar Image says:

I went down to the Scholastic store for the last book release. I missed all the cool stuff but was still able to buy my book. You were allowed in the store to pre-order than you had to line up outside to get the book at 12:01. Also there are 3 Barnes and Nobles in that part of Manhattan that are really close to get to.

Avatar Image says:

Oh man… If I wasn’t the one responsible for our B&N party here in PA at midnight the night before, I would SO be there!

Avatar Image says:

I took my son to the HBP party at Scholastic. He was only 4 then, so we didn’t stay until midnight. But I remember people lining up for the book. It was incredibly exciting. I loved being able to share that evening with so many other fans. It was beastly hot, but we didn’t care.

It sounds like this party will be very similar, except for the addition of the Whomping Willow. Can’t wait to see that! We MAY even make it to midnight this year.

IM SO THERE!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wand Making? Hey, whoever’s been there before (like Ann or Jazz) – how does that work?

Won’t make it, but just curious… it would be cool if Scholastic (or a Harry Potter Marketeer) would sell Wand making “kits.”

Write a Reply or Comment