MTV News Asks Harry Potter Panel: How Will the Series End?

114

Jun 28, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

MTV News continues its coverage of the latest Harry Potter film and final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with a round table discussion with a panel of Harry Potter experts to discuss what the ending of J. K. Rowling’s series could be. The panel, which features our own Melissa Anelli, as well as representatives from other Potter websites and fans from the world of wizard rock, gives their opinions on the final act of the book, discusses the ‘Harry is a horcrux theory’ and tries to answer the burning question in many fans minds: “Is Snape Good or Evil?” You can watch the three videos which ask these questions and read a transcript of the panels full discussion about the seventh book, right here.

Additionally, these clips will air in part on MTV network of stations at the following times over the next two days. All times Eastern Standard.

MTV
Friday: 6/29- 3:50am, 5:50am

MTV2
Thursday: 6/28- 6:30pm, 7:30pm

Friday: 6/29- 2:30am, 3:30am, 4:30am, 5:30am, 6:30am, 7:30am, 8:30am

MTVU
Thursday: 6/28- 7:45pm, 8:45pm, 9:45pm, 10:45pm, 11:45pm

Friday: 6/29- 12:45am, 1:45am, 2:45am, 3:45am, 4:45am, 5:45am, 6:45am, 7:45am, 8:45am, 9:45am, 10:45am, 11:45am, 12:45pm, 2:45pm, 3:45pm, 4:45pm, 5:45pm, 6:45pm

31 Responses to MTV News Asks Harry Potter Panel: How Will the Series End?

Avatar Image says:

That’s so cool. Go Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

Omg, I cannot wait for this book! Go Melissa !

Good job Melissa! Harry will live!! :) woot

Avatar Image says:

How stupid. “Copyright restricts us from playing this video outside the U.S.”. Well I guess I only get to read the transcript. pouts

Avatar Image says:

Pretty good discussion. The argument about JK coming up with the idea on the train works both ways though. She had a flash of inspiration and thought, “Good triumphs over evil and they live happily ever after! Brilliant! I have got to write this down…”? I don’t buy that either. I think it’ll end somewhere between happily ever after and terribly depressing. A bittersweet medium.

Avatar Image says:

That must have been really cool to participate in. It definitely gave me some perspective on the opposites of my theories. It didn’t change my opinions but I can see why some fans believe certain things will happen. And Melissa, I agree – Snape was a total jerk when he said that to Hermione about her teeth. I remember thinking “ooh I so would have wanted to slapped him – teacher or not.” Of course being like Hermione, I would not have. Still he was so mean to her in that scene. Glad to see you participating in the “round table discussion”. Hope it was as much fun as it looked.

Avatar Image says:

Merlin’s beard! Melissa on MTV! Congrats on being a “Harry Potter expert!” That is just too exciting, and I can’t wait to get home to watch it.

Avatar Image says:

Well, Mellisa, I was absolutely and thoroughly impressed by your comments and focus on the discussion. It would have been nice if Spartz would actually contribute something useful as opposed to mentioning the US Army—how many interviews has he done where he says that?! His comments were pointless.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe Emerson likes the “Harry is a Horcrux” theory. First of all, if Harry is horcrux, Voldemort doesn’t know it. His goal was to make six to spilt his soul 7 times. He made Nagini a Horcrux after he returned because he believed he needed to split his soul one more time. If Harry is a horcrux, Voldemort would then have 7 horcruxes, so we’d still be looking for one more.

Second, if the Avada Kedavra backfires why doesn’t the horcrux spell? Voldemort’s not going to make Harry a horcrux on purpose, so the spell would have had to accidentally hit him after Lily’s sacrifice. That spell should have backfired too.

Ugh. On a side note, You look great Melissa. Awesome job. Can’t wait to see you guys in Columbus in a couple weeks.

Melissa!! I’m SO glad you represents the voice of the online Potterdom :D

Everything that you say makes sense, and you’re so astute, well-rounded, open-minded, and you have this authoratative presence that just says, “Yo, REAL Potter fans are like this!” You rock Melissa!

As a side note… I’m glad to see MTV and other channels are actually interviewing true fans and have true fans giving the interviews.

No more lame-o “If you had an invisibility cloak, what would you use it for?!” questions!

Avatar Image says:

Whats up with MTV and reporting all of this Harry Potter news? Don’t get me wrong, I think its cool, but I find it funny because people consider MTV trendy or “cool” but they are reporting on what some people may call “uncool” (I personally think HP is cool)So I think thats pretty awesome. I loved what they had to say and I agree. Snape is a jerk, and I hate him for how mean he is to the students, but I believe he is on the good side.

Avatar Image says:

Go, Melissa! I completely agree that Harry is going to live. I really don’t want to see it any other way. I get enough “reality” on the 6:00 news, thanks! I want a happily ever after here. Go, you!

And Mollywobbles – I’d be careful if I were you. You might have to eat those words. None of us – “experts” or no – know for sure exactly what is going to happen until July 21. You don’t have to believe the Horcrux theory, but it is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

Avatar Image says:

I love how Melissa and Emerson both jumped in with resounding “NO!”s at the question as to whether Harry would die. I have always liked Emerson’s statement that he doesn’t believe that Jo said to herself “I’m going to write a series about a boy whose life sucks then he dies.”

Avatar Image says:

I know anything can happen Melindaleo, but the theory simply does not follow logically. To me, it’s makes about as much sense as Harry and Hermione. I think Emerson is “delusional” on this one. =)

Avatar Image says:

I still believe Snape had to appear brutal and hateful towards the trio and any of Harry’s friends in order to save face in front of the death eaters. Let us not forget that Draco reports everything home to his parents, especially to his father who is a death eater, therefore, back to Voldemort.

Many people we love will die or be otherwise verymuch injured in book seven. JK said that after having given in to some pressure, to please certain people, she changed her mind and stuck to the original plan for book seven.

As for me, whatever she decides, that is good enough for me. I am ready for the death of Harry. Painfully so.

Who said crucio? You swine…

Avatar Image says:

mollwoble, I don’t see how logic or anything in canon would lead you to the conclusion that a horcrux spell would backfire when Avada Kedavra did. Our knowledge of how a horcrux spell works is just too vague at this point. For all we know the explanation is that Avada Kedavra is a curse, which the protection repels, and the horcrux spell isn’t. I’m not saying that is the case, it’s just one example of how it could be explained. The point is that logic and canon evidence can lead you to rule out Harry and Hermione as a pairing – along with quotes from Jo herself, those help too – but we just don’t have enough solid information either way on this one. So I agree with Melindaleo. It’s within the realm of possibility.

Avatar Image says:

Mellissa and Emerson both sounded great! Good job guys. :)

Avatar Image says:

Go Melissa! And, yay Bartels—she’s the librarian at our school! I know Leaky didn’t post it, but y’all can go to http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1562376/20070613/story.jhtml to see the lit chat group which she supervises battle over theories. :)

Avatar Image says:

Yes it’s in the realm of possibility, sure. The fact is Lily’s protection caused the AK spell to backfire. We also know that Voldemort couldn’t even touch him. So why would certain spells and physical contact backfire, but other spells not? It doesn’t follow logically.

I do agree, however, that we still don’t know enough about the horcrux spell to predict exactly how it works or how it is preformed. Yet, from what we know about spells, hexes, curses, etc, it seems unlikely that you could accidentally make someone or something a horcrux. You can accidentally blow up your aunt, but can you accidentally make a person a horcrux? Normally you have to point your wand at on object, or at the very least concentrate on what you are trying to accomplish when casting a spell. Even if Voldemort said the enchantment before Lily died or after her death (and the spell doesn’t backfire), I do not think the enchantment makes the closest thing next to you a horcrux, and I certainly don’t think the spell bounced off on object and hit Harry in the head. Maybe it makes everything in the room a potential vessel before you stick your soul in their, I don’t know. To me it doesn’t make sense.

I love a good discussion though. I’m always lurking on the horcrux thread in the lounge, so I would to take the discussion there.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, I meant to say, “I would love to take the discussion there,” not “take the discussion there. ” Sorry, not trying to tell people off or or tell them what to do. Not my intent at all.

I’m glad I caught that. Phew

Avatar Image says:

Gotta agree with Melinda and Rollo on this one – we just don’t know anything about the Horcrux spell itself. If Jo wrote “Hey, Harry’s a Horcrux,” I certainly wouldn’t throw down the book in a fit of rage.

In the end, we won’t know ‘til we know…you know?

Avatar Image says:

Melissa and Emerson did a great job!! that libarian didnt know anything! lmao and that horcrux theory got me thinking and it can be a possiblity!! very good job guys!!! (:

Avatar Image says:

That was interesting, to both watch and read. I’m not ganna elaborate on what I think will happen, i just want to say that it was nice getting different views from different people who certainly know their stuff. :D

Avatar Image says:

That was sooooo cool! I love Melissa and Alex (kinda disenchanted with Emerson at the moment) and don’t really know much about the others on the panel. It was really cool to see those theories discussed with Kurt Loder! I love him so much! He’s an MTV staple. To hear him talk about Harry Potter was so freaking cool. I wonder if he’s read the books?

Avatar Image says:

guh, someone get this on youtube for those outside the US

Avatar Image says:

This sucks, MTV is blocking content unless you live in the US. I even tried some anonymous proxies and I could get the site but no video :( so much for us potter fans living outside the US

Avatar Image says:

The librarian was spot on. Being the only one there who isn’t a pathetic sycophant, that’s a big part of it.

Avatar Image says:

tiredoffandom, Who is the brown noser on that show? Who Would they be sucking up to? Or do you just have no idea what the word “sycophant” means?

Avatar Image says:

“I think she’ll kill him because she’s British.”

OH yeah. Librarian was awesome.

Avatar Image says:

Marcus said: “I think it’ll end somewhere between happily ever after and terribly depressing. A bittersweet medium.”

I agree.

Melissa mentioned Buffy in the clip, and that series could be a good way of looking at how the Harry Potter series might end.

Melissa said that Buffy sacrificed herself in Season 5…but Willow brought Buffy back to life, so that holds no water for the Harry could die and fans can accept it.

In Season 7, what fans thought was the final of the series at the time, the creator had wanted to end the show bittersweet, but also show a ray of hope. That’s why he never killed off Buffy, Xander, Willow, and Giles.

So, there were a few deaths as the “good” side fought over “evil” but Joss Whedon NEVER killed the four main characters. Sure, Buffy got stabbed, Willow’s magic tired her out, and Xander had previously lost an eye, but they were never killed…and it ended with Buffy seeing hope and rest after going through one of her most brutal battles ever!

And last year Melissa mentioned that ending at a LeakyMug convention…so I think Rowling could put Harry, Hermione, and Ron through such a terrible year in book 7, but never kill them.

So, I disagree with the librarian’s comment that she would kill Harry just because she’s British…Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy), a great storyteller himself, schooled in England and had the show have origins through English perspectives and he still never killed the Buffy trio (Buffy, Willow, and Xander), so the librarian is wrong.

And, I’m only mentioning that show simply because Melissa did in the debate.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: I know, I know!!!

Write a Reply or Comment