Of Dragons and “Deathly Hallows” Audio Books

114

Jun 29, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

UK Harry Potter publishers Bloomsbury have issued a press release about the audio book for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As we told you previously, in the UK, the audio book was to be released for the first time in as the books for “Deathly Hallows,” and the publishers have listed some additional information about the disc (example the Listening time is 24 hours and 1 minute), as well as featuring a very intriguing new message from audio book narrator Stephen Fry. To hear this message, click here. You can also see a new photo of Jo and Stephen Fry, here in our galleries.

Some additional facts posted by Bloomsbury include:

*Listening time for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows audio edition is 24 hours and 1 minute

• * The audio editions of the Harry Potter books have now sold over a million copies.
  • * Stephen Fry has spent a total of 38 days in the studio recording all seven Harry Potter books
  • * Stephen Fry has voices for over 170 characters from the books
  • * In the same time as it takes to listen to all seven audiobooks you could go to the moon, and still have nearly a day left over to look around, or listen to a Harry Potter book, once you got there.
  • * In the same time as it takes to listen to the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows audiobook, you could:
  • * Fly from London to Sydney, Australia
  • * Run the men’s 100 metres world record 8800 times
  • * Play 16 football matches
  • * Listen to Queen’s ‘It’s a kind of magic’ 330 times
  • * Watch The Wizard of Oz 14 times
  • As a reminder the publishers state again the book will be available simultaneously in the large print edition, the special gift edition, the audio edition, published jointly with HNP, and from the RNIB, the Braille and Talking Book editions. They also include the following info from Jo on the work done by Stephen Fry:

Stephen Fry says that sometimes he finds clues to the kind of voice a character should have in JK Rowling’s writing or in the characters’ names: ‘Sometimes [there is] a turn of phrase that makes me think well that sounds like a Cockney or that’s an older character or thats a younger character…’

JK Rowling describes Stephen’s reading as ‘though someone you know well is reading to you and that person happens to be talented at voices but [doesn't] form a big barrier between the listener and the story.’ Stephen says about reading the Harry Potter books ‘It’s the perfect thing to read. If I was told I was going to have to do a series of big novels I might have thought at first maybe Trollope or the complete Jane Austen but I don’t think I would have got a tenth as much pleasure.’

31 Responses to Of Dragons and “Deathly Hallows” Audio Books

Avatar Image says:

This is such a teaser. Well I suppose it fits in with the cover of the special edition.

Avatar Image says:

Having listed to all the 6 books on CD(though the Jim Dale versions) I can attest that it is a wonderful way to absorb the books. I have both the book and CD on order for the 21st.

Avatar Image says:

Draco Dorminens Nunquam Titillandus! – Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon….

An interesting clue Mr Fry LOL contemplates

Avatar Image says:

Stephens clue is very intriguing-the school motto, the dragon on the front cover and I cant help but think “Draco” being important-the fact it means dragon is very curious…

Avatar Image says:

Argh! I want to scream in frustration with that hint about the school motto. I want the book!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh I love listening to him read them, I quite like some of the voices he does.

Oh the sly dog teasing us like that chuckles well it’s something to contemplait.

Stephen Fry I love thee!

I have never splurghed out on the audio book yet, I think I would love them but they are a bit pricey from whatI know…

Avatar Image says:

OOh, and I love that photo of Jo and Stephen!

Avatar Image says:

SARAH: I agree I have always fond them a bit overpriced-but that hasnt stopped me buying them! However Im sure I saw them on Amazon for half price-£35 roughly I think which is a brilliant price considering i think i paid almost £90 last time!

Avatar Image says:

Does this mean that Harry gets to finally tickle a sleeping dragon?

evil dragon giggles

Avatar Image says:

Most libraries(at least where I am in the US) have the audio books also-so no need to pay :)

Avatar Image says:

Any news about the American (Jim Dale) versions being available on the release date as well? How about availability on iTunes!? If anyone knows, can you PLEASE email me. This knowledge will help me plan that weekend.

Avatar Image says:

Scott, Yes, the American audio books will be available on the 21st. I know they were available on publication date for OotP and HBP, so this is the normal routine in the U.S. to have them available same day. I love Jim Dale’s version (I adore Stephen Fry and am sure I’d love his, too), and I listen to them constantly. Worth every penny to the obsessive fan.

As for Mr. Fry’s teaser, I’m giggling maniacally. I love it that dragons are coming into play in the last book.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, according to Amazon they will make sure the book gets to you on the 21st but the audio may come a few days later but the release date is the same as the book.

I found Ebay as a great source for getting the audios at a better price. I just purchased all 6 books and did not pay over $20.00 for any of them and that included shipping. The first three of the audios were new and wrapped and last three were used but all in great shape with no scratches on them. I splurged on DH I did preorder on from amazon though.

Avatar Image says:

The the Hell Happened to Jim Dale? ans why didn’t he come back for the last audio book?

Avatar Image says:

METTEO-the story clearly states the annoucnement came from BRITISH publishers. Stephen Fry narrates the British Audio editions. Jim Dale has already recorded the american edition.

Avatar Image says:

I have never heard Stephen Fry (until now) yet I have heard Jim Dale read books 1-4…Whoa! Fry is awesome! I wish I could have listened to him read instead of Dale….

Avatar Image says:

Oh gosh! That little tid bit of info at the end has just me believe more and more that it’s the Hogwarts Dragon!!! I figured that we’d see why the heck the school theme was ‘Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon’! I wonder if the final battle is at Hogwarts…. hmmm…

Avatar Image says:

I can not WAIT for the audio book…perhaps I want it even more than the book itself (blush!) 24 hours and 1 minute – that sounds so exciting! I wonder how many cassettes or CD’s there will be! And that little teaser too!

Avatar Image says:

hm, I wonder what stephen fry is doing for the book 7 release… we know jim dale will be in new york; could stephen possibly be in london?

Avatar Image says:

I love Stephen Fry. I wish we’d get his versions of the audiobooks instead of Jim Dale’s here in the US. Jim Dale is lovely and all, but Stephen’s beyond comparison really. I love his teaser, yet hate it at the same time. shakes my fist

Avatar Image says:

It wouldn’t load for me…is there a transcript or something?

Avatar Image says:

Well, this confirms that the book’s length is a little under halfway between “Goblet” and “Order,” going by the runtimes of all of the Stephen Fry narrated audiobooks.

PS: 8:25 CoS: 9:40 PoA: 12:05 GoF: 20:55 OotP: 28:00 HBP 21:00 DH: 24:01

It’ll probably be in the neighborhood of 224,000 words.

Avatar Image says:

Interesting Zamboni, this confirms that DH is the larger book behind OotP!!!!...wiiii

Avatar Image says:

When did he record that message – was it after Gordon Brown quoted his school motto?

Avatar Image says:

I love Stephen Fry, and his reading of the books is wonderful. I bought Jim Dale’s version of HBP because I couldn’t wait for the UK version to come out and I hated it – it felt very much like …and here is my Dumbledore voice …and now here is my Hermione voice… whereas Fry just seems to melt into the story so that you’re not even aware of him. That was very hard to explain!

As for reading the motto – I think that means Voldemort is going to push Draco too hard once too often and he’ll end up helping the trio as a result of this.

Avatar Image says:

If you want more examples of Stephen Frys reading go to www.bloomsbury.com/swot It will leave you with a lot of food for thought.

Avatar Image says:

This, for me, means the release of the book is far too close and It’s actually kind of scary!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait for the Deathly Hallows audio version to come I have all of the books read by stephen Fry and LOVE listening to them. I too bought the Jim Dale version of Half Blood Prince because I couldn’t wait for the Stephen Fry version to be released and was utterly disappointed. All of the voices were the same and the whole story was spoilt for me as I am so used to hearing the different accents and voice tones of Hagrid, Ron etc. Thank you so much for asking the best narrator in England to read the Harry Potter series.

Avatar Image says:

For those of you who adore Stephen Fry, there are various videos of him here:

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: I have them all...

Write a Reply or Comment