Verdict Delivered In Snape Trial

124

Jul 08, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The defense built him up and the prosecution tore him down. Severus Snape went on trial today in the Leaky Lounge for the murder of Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. Witnesses took the stand, the prosecution and defense questioned, Rita Skeeter reported, the Judge oversaw, and late this afternoon the case was handed to the jury. After a quick deliberation process and vote, the jury returned with their verdict.

The Charge: The murder of Albus Dumbledore using the unforgivable curse, Avada Kedavra.

The Verdict: Guilty.

The Sentence: A lifetime sentence in Azkaban, but with the possibility of parole.

The “Trial of Severus Snape” that took place today in the Leaky Lounge was an overwhelming success and more importantly, a really great time for everyone who came in and was involved. This was due in no small part to the TLC staff who contributed so much time, effort and creativity into making it happen. We must thank everyone who was involved in the Lounge wide event today… and we will! Big thank yous go out to:

Aislinn, Expelliarumas, Prongs Patronus, Poet, futureweasley, Sooner Gryffindor, fawkes28, Mr. McGonagall, NickTLC, DorisTLC, AlexTLC, NickPTLC, Kadi, freedomstar, praxagora, atschpe, Moriah, SeverineSnape, Narya, libbysmom, Hagiographer13, jrg1990, HPMommy, Rudius Hagrid, Hedwigger7, Bemused, Katie, Piewacket, Lils, Punky, JaneMarple, erisedfororrim, always_a_sidekick, cnprpl, Elizabeth18, Fwooper, nimbusflyer and MirandaV.

This event would not have been possible without you guys and every single person who witnessed the trial unfold.

This is however not the first time Severus Snape has been put on trial. He was on the stand last at Accio 2005 where he was found not guilty and on SpinnersCast, where he was also tried.

65 Responses to Verdict Delivered In Snape Trial

UNFAIR!! Retrial!

Yay

I think bail should be the location of horcruxes snape knows about id any and if not 2000 Galleons

Yay!!!!!!

Yay

Avatar Image says:

Hahahahahahahaha! I cannot WAIT until the 21st when all the “Snape-is-evil”ers will have to eat their words. I’m really going to enjoy rubbing it in that you were all wrong :D

Avatar Image says:

So when does Draco go on trial for ImperiusING Rosmerta? That’s one I’d like to see. Sape can even be a witness… -B

Avatar Image says:

you will all be eating your words. when will you ever learn to trust dumbledore?

Avatar Image says:

little-miss-lmpw-it-all, as always with know it alls, they tend to be wrong 90% of the time, so dont worry if I dont take you seriously.

the truth is, dumbledore trust too much. almost every single book has come a moment when dumbledore was wrong to trust someone. he was wrong to trust quirrel, lockhart, moody, and clearly, it is highly plausable that he was wrong to trust snape, because you may not like to belive the facts, but snape did kill dumbledore.

every charactor that dumbledore has been wrong to trust was a charactor who ended up having their own intentions, independent from dumbledore. clearly, snape is caught in the middle of two battles, and clearly, he has made a choice. the question of his loyalties is a hard one, but if you read the article, it was not so much his loyalties that were the focus of the trial, but his actions.

and to prempt any snapelovers, please note no where in the books those it say dumbledore told snape to kill him. it is people forcing meaning where meaning is not remotely close to being revealed, so please, do not bring that fanon up, because it only causes circuler arguements that get everyone no where.

Avatar Image says:

Accio2005 had the right idea ;) I guess poor Severus will have to endure sitting in Azkaban until July 21st.

Avatar Image says:

No, no, no, no! He is not guilty! He had to do it or he would die! It was self-defence!!!

Avatar Image says:

A lifetime sentence in Azkaban!!oh my god , that not fair….he just did it on dumbledore’s orders…thank god , atleast the dementors aren’t there in Azkaban….

Avatar Image says:

Dumbledore clearly said that there was a reason he trusted Snape. the fact that the reason still didn’t come up is a proof for me that Snape is with the good guys. (And the discussion in the wood).

Plus he says something to Harry when he escapes: “Blocked again, and again, and again until you learn to keep your mind closed and your mouth shut, Potter!” It seems like he is trying to help him.

And his over reaction when Harry calls him a coward (after all he is going through for Dumbledore).

It all adds up. The reason why Dumbledore trusts Snape? Love. I’m pretty sure Snape was in love with Lily (both masters at potion), and hates Harry all the more for it.

You have to be ignorant to just condemn him without any reasonable doubts.

Avatar Image says:

Isit FALSE! Iam protest! He is not guilty!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, if I only hadn’t gone to sleep. This verdict is, of course, perfectly in line with the Wizarding World’s idea of “justice”, therefore I shouldn’t be too surprised, that another innocent man is sent to prison. Luckily, Snape will be cleared in a mere two weeks.

Avatar Image says:

I just read the trial, and even though some people make a case that he did kill him and we should’t look at his intentions; I wonder in what kind of society they were raised, where intentions isn’t something to look upon when judging somebody.

Oh and last thing, anyone who thinks Dumbledore is the kind of man who would plea for his life has never read a Harry Potter book.

He even told Harry in the cave that Voldemort is “dumb” because he still didn’t realize that there are worst things than death. And then he would beg for his life an hour later?

Yeah, sure. He was begging for Snape to finish him (as there are no other possibility), and Snape’s look of hatred was directed toward himself.

Avatar Image says:

Regardless if Snape is good or evil, the fact remains that he killed Dumbledore. How can you say he is not guilty, because he may have had “good” intentions? The charge is not about his intentions. It is about what he did. The verdict should reflect that.

ottTheHBP:

Dumbledore never trusted Lockhart! He just had to hire him because there was no other possible candidates.

Moody was under disguise, if you had actually read the books and remembered them, moody is STILL on the good side.

And know-it alls are correct 90% of times.

Thats why they’re called know-it-alls.

There is no doubt that Snape killed Dumbledore but it’s the reason WHY Snape killed Dumbledore that is the question.

And that is why Snape will be in Azkaban only till 12th July.

Avatar Image says:

Intentions have certainly to be taken into account when judging someone. But it remains the fact that Snape killed Dumbledore. Problem is: the only person to bear witness that Snape might have killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore´s orders is dead and therefore not able to testify. Therefore, the verdict does not astound me.

Avatar Image says:

The verdict also has a LOT to do with the options given to the jurors… The poll only had two options, both guilty, one with parole the other without. It was only much later an innocent one was added which is again incorrect. However because of the vast amount of people, the mods could not take into account everyone’s opinion… It’s biased. Just like real justice!!! =]

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Dumbledore is really dead. The whole elaborate funeral was a fake. Wait for his resurrection at the climax of HPDG

Avatar Image says:

I had no idea about the trial until late last night xD

But Yes! Thats a great verdict and punshment, serves the slimy git right.

Avatar Image says:

Jo is a master at mirroring. She does it quite often. She mirrored Snape from Harry. Harry hated himself, was filled with self-revulsion when he was forced to pour that potion down DD’s throat. As Snape performed the AK on DD, his face was filled with hatred and revulsion TOWARD himself. He was following orders, DD’s orders, to NOT break the unbreakable vow. DD knew that Snape had to continue in his double agent role, so that Draco could be protected. Over and over, Jo has written DD as most protective of his students. If Snape didn’t take care of Draco’s task, then Draco would have died. As evil as the little git is, he’s still a child and under DD’s protection. In DD’s mind, there was no question that Draco must be protected.

DD has armed Harry with the knowledge that he needs to succeed. In his own words, “harry, i am not worried, I am with you”. DD trusts Harry to fulfill the prophecy and triumph over Voldemort. There will be twists and turns that none of us have imagined or theorized, but I think, in all our hearts, we know that Harry will triumph; that Voldemort will be defeated in the end.

Personally, my own theory is that Harry is the 7th horcrux and he will sacrifice himself, to save a green-eyed, redheaded witch whom he loves, therefore making Voldemort mortal and Ginny, whom Jo has repeatedly reminded us of being a very powerful witch, will use the power she possesses and anger over Harry’s death and SHE will be the one to kill Voldemort. Snape will be instrumental in the last battle, but in the end, Ginny will kill Voldy.

Avatar Image says:

Oops, got sidetracked. DD is a casualty of war. Snape was following the orders of his commanding officer, as it were. He should never be put on trial at all. Just my two cents.

Avatar Image says:

Shouldn’t the charge be reworded? I mean, all it’s accusing him of is killing Dumbledore, but we know that he did it anyway. Shouldn’t the charge accuse him of serving Voldemort? Something like ‘that the accused served the mass-murderer Tom Marvolo Riddle with acts of control, torture and murder’ except worded a bit more intelligently… But along with that I would like to disagree with the verdict! Severus Snape is good!

load of pile droppings!

Avatar Image says:

to those of you that say snape is innocent and that we need to trust dumbledore..you have to remember that although dumbledore is wise every character has a flaw…and maybe dumbledore’s flaw is in his trusting nature. think about it!! Snape is sooo guilty

Avatar Image says:

also…after reading other comments…Harry is NOT a horcrux people. J.K. said it herself. Why would Voldemort put part of his soul into a mortal person. If Harry were to be walking down the street and got hit by the Knight Bus, Voldemort would lose part of his own soul. J.K. said that Voldemort would have designated his horcruxes as discrete inanimate objects. And Harry is gonna die. He is a tragic hero..sorry to disappoint you all

Avatar Image says:

The mods did an amazing job! Well done, because it was really fun. Too bad I couldn’t see the end, but parents don’t appreciate children on computers at 2am. :P

Great event! :D

Silly Billies.

Holding a trial when some 700 pages of evidence are pending!

Whether the verdict is correct or not (sadly, it probably is), the charge of Gross Miscarriage of Justice will stand.

Avatar Image says:

I think that Snape may be concluded as guilty because anyway he did AK DD. BUT (let me finish before getting some rotten tomatoes thrown at me) I don’t think it’s fair for him to get a life time sentence – just some years. It’s really unfair at that point. Come on, I mean, thousands other criminals (Muggle ones in reality) killed more people and they don’t even face life time sentence and they even got out after just some years. They deserve to be in prison – Azkaban worse than Snape.

And by the way, where do we get the full version of the trial -the transcript as some of the mods say it???? If you can give me the link, thank you very much – send it to [email protected]

Avatar Image says:

Aww… it’s a good thing they haven’t caught him then, isn’t it? Poor Snapey. He’s just a bit misguided, that’s all!! C’mon, jury! You’ve got to feel sorry for the guy!

Avatar Image says:

“Hahahahahahahaha! I cannot WAIT until the 21st when all the “Snape-is-evil”ers will have to eat their words. I’m really going to enjoy rubbing it in that you were all wrong.” -Hannah

I hear yah! The trial was biased!!!! lol

Avatar Image says:

well he is technically guilty of killing cuz he did! But he should have a shorter scentence because of the defence that of course he had not another choice and he is still on the side of good

Avatar Image says:

nope, i just ain’t convinced snape’s a bad guy. there are too many hints suggesting otherwise. but bad or not, all shall be revealed in 13 days. AT LAST!!!

Avatar Image says:

When Book 7 comes out, and he is proven innocent, will there be another trial? You have to trust Dumbledore!

Avatar Image says:

I enjoyed the event, but Snape should be innocent.

Avatar Image says:

Must have been a lot of “Snape-is-a-very-bad-man” people in the jury! This is a miscarriage of justice!

Avatar Image says:

I think it would hurt me so much if in the 7th book Snape turned out to really be a bad guy… I don’t think I can accept it!

Avatar Image says:

RUBBISH!! Severis Snape is inoccent! I TELL YOU!! INOCCENT!!!

Avatar Image says:

Majority does not rule for a jury. The jury must be unanimous and the jury was not unanimous. He’s not guilty.

And anyway, he’s not guilty – he’s no more guilty than Harry is of Dumbledore’s death.

What Snape is guilty of is that he couldn’t save Dumbldore and Azkaban is no match to the guilt Snape carries over his failure to save Dumbledore.

zr

I call for a retrial.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, indeed, this trial was a gross miscarriage of justice. In England and America a man cannot be tried more than once for the same crime. Yet this is the third time this innocent hero has been mercilessly persecuted by puritanical zealots. Guess some people just won’t let go of a grudge. :)

However, there is only one judgement that matters. For better or worse, Severus Snape will have only one person who will act as his judge, jury, and possible executioner. That person’s name is J. K. Rowling. Her verdict will be begun to read on Midnight, July 21. (And it’ll be an acquittal, I tell ya! An acquital!)

Avatar Image says:

Whether or not he is guilty, Snape did kill DD. I think he is evil right now but will return to the right side by the end of Book 7.

Avatar Image says:

So what if Snape turns out to be a double/double agent who was indeed doing as Dumbledore had asked does he still stay in Azkaban or will he just be dead helping Harry and friends.

He could well be one of the people Jo kills off, right after we find out what he was/is truly up to.

Avatar Image says:

It’s not murder if Dumbledore was already doomed to die by his health at the time. If there was no way to save Dumbledore from impending death, and he wanted to use his death to save Draco’s life, as well as Snape’s life and cover, it explains his plea to Snape—a plea to perform the curse.

Not Guilty, and Not Evil.

Avatar Image says:

So you guys REALLY believe Dumbledore would resort to begging for fear of death (which he has come to terms with about dying and I presume does not care a great deal about) and even come to the point where you don’t trust his judgment? I see something wrong with this picture here, Leaky! Dumbledore was evidently reminding Snape (“Severus….please” as in Severus, please remember our agreement) that if he did not carry on with the plan to kill him, than Voldemort would no longer believe Snape to be on his side, and all the while Dumbledore made it so Snape did not die breaking the unvbreakable vow with Narcissa. Also, Dumbledore had a plan from the beginning that Harry just had to go on alone and defeat Voldemort.

Or maybe I’m just bias because I love Snape…..

Avatar Image says:

How dare they when the one person who could give evidence in his favor is dead?

Anyway you couldn’t put him on trial till the plan is completed, because if he IS good, you can’t blow his cover now.

Avatar Image says:

Is Snape guilty of killing Albus Dumbledore?

Yes, obviously.

Is he guilty of doing it in cold-blood?

Well, that’s where it gets tricky.

I would say no. I do not think Snape killed Dumbledore because Snape is evil and loyal to Voldemort. I fully believe it was on Dumbledore’s orders, but most unfortunately, if someone kills anyone, it is the actions, not the intent, that is being judged.

I think it’s worse when someone gets off as “innocent” for attempted murder when the intent was there. Or, the punishment for attempted murder being much less than that for murder. When talking morals, yes, it’s the intent behind the action that really matters, but that’s a really hard thing to judge.

In the wizarding world, though, with Veritaserum and Legilimency and a Pensieve, you’d think the true intentions of Snape’s actions could be found out.

As for those of us who still believe Snape is good, it’s not based on fanon like someone pointed out. There is plenty of evidence there. The discerning reader can see the clues, and for Dumbledore to say repeatedly that he trusts Snape and the fact that he’s trusted him for 16 YEARS speaks volumes that Dumbledore has a really GOOD reason for trusting Snape.

Yes, Dumbledore has been wrong before, and it is possible he was wrong about Snape. I’ve read the arguments on both sides for Snape’s loyalties, and trust me, there are some for the “Snape is evil” side that have been quite convincing for me, but I do not think Dumbledore was wrong about Snape. Sixteen years is a long, long time to be fooled by Snape.

Avatar Image says:

Remember that the only witness we have is Harry and he is biased against Snape.

No, DD was not pleading for his life. He needed Draco, Harry, and Snape safe for the nest part of the game. DD did not fear death.

Snape was bound by the UV to finish the job Draco had been given. If Snape had refused, he would have died, Draco would have died by the DE, DD would have died wither from the potion or one of the DE, and at that moment Harry would have been freed from PT curse and may have also been killed.

But killing DD (and I am still not sure if he may have died the second before the AK was performed) Snape was able to get Draco to safety, the rest of the DE off the roof and gave Harry the oportunity to be freed from the PT.

Avatar Image says:

Is Snape guilty of killing Albus Dumbledore?

Yes, obviously.

Is he guilty of doing it in cold-blood?

Well, that’s where it gets tricky.

Well said, Rhiannon.

LAME. RETRIAL!

Ohh I can’t wait till the 21st…. :D

Avatar Image says:

Good, I thought that a very fair verdict, seeing as it’s impossible to bring Dumbledore on trial to say he told Snape to kill him using Legilimacy (sp?). A life sentence of Azkaban for Snape, and may he rot there! (I still haven’t forgiven him for telling Voldemort about the prophecy; perhaps he was in Lily, but that’s still not an excuse.)

Avatar Image says:

i think he did it… but i think dumbledore told him to…

love that snape has a chance for parole tho. that was hilarious.

i guess we’ll all just have to wait to find out in 12 DAYS!!!!!!!

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Did Snape kill Dumbledore… Ummm YES

Snape was under an unbreakable vow, kill DD or die. Dumbledore knew about the vow, and about Malfoy’s actions because Snape told him… Snape and DD knew what would happen when they faced each other across the tower roof.

BTW I couldnt even get into the trial yesterday, whats up with that?

Lastest rumor:

The HR department at Azkaban posted job openings for guards to replace the dementors who defected to “he who must not be named”.

They had zero applications on their website … until the Snape-fan-girls heard about the verdict.

The web adress: www.prison_azkaban.mom.gov/jobapp/guard.html

has now been overloaded and has crashed

... or was this a denial of service attack perpetrated by those loyal to “he who must not be named”?

Avatar Image says:

I love the fact that there was a trial for Severus Snape—his loyalty has been the topic of much debate among us fans. Even after we’ve read Book Seven, I think we’ll still be debating and writing fanfiction.

As for my opinion, I think he’ll end up to be on the good side and help Harry. There’s no doubt that he’s a big meanie as a teacher (perhaps he should get another job) but I think he’ll be on the good side in the war. That’s just my opinion/prediction. I can’t wait for Book Seven to see what happens and what he does.

I’d love to see a trial of more characters, perhaps some other Death Eaters and also Draco Malfoy.

Anyway, great job to all those who participated and to the staff of The Leaky Cauldron for always having fun things in store for all Potter fans.

Avatar Image says:

sadly – I feel that this trail was rigged from the beginning. There was no – true not guilty choice. It was only choices that made him guilty. I personally say retrial and maybe someone can sit in and make sure that certain people are trying to rigg the event again. BOOOOOO!!!!

Avatar Image says:

YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! justice has been served!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wormtail should have driven him away in the white Bronco.

Avatar Image says:

Technically, no matter how good Snape might be, I think we can all agree that he did indeed kill Dumbledore (for whatever reasons). So it was a fair trial.

For all of us who think Snape is good, lets hope he just doesnt get caught!

Avatar Image says:

He was tried before and acquitted. In the USA that makes it double jeopardy; you can’t be tried twice for the same crime. So it’s not a fair trial no matter what you think of Snape.

Avatar Image says:

Dumbledore IS NOT DEAD. He enters the room, and the trial is suspended, Snape set free, everyone cries. Dumbledore says: ‘Now we’ll have to do it all over again”, he sighs. Harry Potter opens his mouth, and can’t close it until ginny gives him some butterbeer.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Snape used the killing curse on DD. There is no refuting that. But to say it is the reasoning for the killing that was never proven conclusively either way. Good thing the circumstances surrounding Harry’s dementors in surrey allowed his reasons for using a patronous to justify his illegal activity. And just like a “Ministry Hearing” to schedule a trial 2 weeks before the date they know the real evidence will surface.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Nagini will take care of this!

Write a Reply or Comment