Helena Bonham Carter Talks Bellatrix in New Interview

121

Jul 09, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The AP has a new interview online with actress Helena Bonham Carter, who plays Death Eater Bellatrix Lestrage in the fifth Potter film, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. In the article Miss Carter talks of the upcoming film, her role as Bellatrix and of her characters wardrobe and personality saying:

“At first they thought, `Oh, we’ll just put her in a sack,’” Bonham Carter said. “But I said, `There’s no way I’m going to wear a sack. I’ve got to be a sexy witch.’”

“I also wanted everything to be splitting at the seams and a bit of `Sunset Boulevard’ disintegration to be going on, because she’s been in prison for so long. She has a very posh, aristocratic carriage, because she’s pureblooded, but at the same time she’s completely divorced from reality.”

Miss Carter goes on to mention an interesting tidbit regarding her characters role. She notes that when considering taking relatively small part as Bellatrix in OotP, she remembers a note from author J. K. Rowling saying, in her own words, ”…she’s going to be very significant in the last one.”

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be in theaters July 11.

34 Responses to Helena Bonham Carter Talks Bellatrix in New Interview

Avatar Image says:

I saw her in the A&E special, and I officially looooove what Helena Bonham Carter is doing with Bella! But it looks like their having a hard time making her ugly though lol

Avatar Image says:

Well, she’s not supposed to be ugly, she’s supposed to look like she used to be attractive. So it’s pretty much perfect. She’s a bit obsessed with her wardrobe though, she talks about it a lot.

Avatar Image says:

Well, she had so little screen time alloted that she felt it was important to make the biggest impact she could. Careful planning of costumes is one way to do that. And ooooooh, a note from JKR that Bellatrix is important in the lasyt book is very cool.

Avatar Image says:

I agree, she is not really supposed to be ugly per se, she’s just supposed to look like a very beautiful woman who has had a rough go of it. And I think they’ve pretty much got that down.

I love Helen. <3

And yes, Bella is supposed to have a once-gorgeous-woman-who-has-faced-several-deshevling-years-in-Azkaban look. :D

Avatar Image says:

“A very significant role in the seventh book and film”. I say!

This is mouth watering information.

Avatar Image says:

her comments seems like bella is gonna kill someone in the next book :S

Avatar Image says:

Yeah I’m loving that last line- significant indeed. I wonder in what capacity. It would be so fitting to have Neville go up against her.

Avatar Image says:

I read somewhere that she got so into her part that she actually damaged Matt Lewis’s ear with her wand.

Cool… I can’t wait to see this movie!

OMG She Might Go Up Against Neville! Lol

Avatar Image says:

well, the one clip I saw of her, she was AMAZING..I mean, perfect

I REALLY hope they put her in a TON of DHY movie, becuase…she’s hardly in Bk. 6 except for spinner’s end. (even not in the battle at Hogwarts)

Avatar Image says:

well…we’ll find out in 11 days!!! eeek!

Avatar Image says:

That’s great about book 7, I always wondered if the RAB in the locket could have been Rodolphus and Bellatrix

Avatar Image says:

I love reading interviews from Helena about Bellatrix and was a bit sad that at hearing her role in OotP was small. But hearing that tid-bit about Bella in Book Seven makes me so excited to see the movie!

Shoot I just hope in Movie 6 they keep in ‘Spinner’s End’ and the whole Bella killing the fox ;0)

Avatar Image says:

So Bellatrix’s going to be significant in the last book? I wonder… assuming Snape is good, I’m inclined to think she’d be the one to find him out. Don’t ask me why; I don’t have any specific reason.

Avatar Image says:

“There is a bit of the warrior about her — Bellatrix means warrior.” Looks like she’s been doing a bit of research for her role. More than we can say about other actors… Anyways, I can’t wait to see what role she plays in DH! Actually, I can’t wait to see/read any part of DH!

Avatar Image says:

only a couple more hours and this time the international date line works for me and not against me!!!!! (it’s good to be a larrikin aussie sometimes!) wwwwoooooohhooooooooo!!!!

She’ll be BRILL as bella!!!! and i agree with Naria… she’ll get snape!

Avatar Image says:

Regarding her being important in Book 7, I have A Theory. Hasn’t Rowling implied that the giant chess game in Book 1 symbolized things that would occur in the battle between Harry and Voldemort? In that chess match, Ron sacraficed himself to the Queen so that Harry could win. That’s something to ponder a bit.

Another thing I’ve noticed in re-reading the books is that oftentimes when Neville is mentioned, references are made to how forgetful he is. Later, in St. Mungo’s Hospital, the reader gets to see what happens to wizards who are the victims of memory charms gone wrong. I wonder if Neville witnessed something when he was a child and had his memory modified poorly, and that’s the cause of his memory problems.

My Theory is that Bellatrix will fight and defeat (I hesitate to say how badly) Ron, and that Neville will kill Bellatrix, in Book 7. Bellatrix is my favorite character, so I can’t wait to see her in the last book!

Avatar Image says:

I bet her ‘big part’ in DH will be that she will either die at the hands of Neville or die sacrificing herself for Voldemort… I think she’s in love with Voldemort… and I mean, come on, Voldy might be a weirdo but I think he has a bit o’ libido and spice running through his veins too. ;) Voldy and Bella… <3 4eva! LMAO!! (I hate the "<3" hearts by the way. lol, just like I have U-no-poo and Bellatrix!)

Avatar Image says:

“and I mean, come on, Voldy might be a weirdo but I think he has a bit o’ libido and spice running through his veins too. ;) Voldy and Bella… <3>“

Eeeww! I wouldn’t let him even touch me for an entire vault of gelleons!

Avatar Image says:

Poor Voldy – Not for an entire vault of galleons???

you must not be an ex-hooker air-hostess then ;)

between her and shane warne, they’re really doin the country proud!... NOT!!!

Avatar Image says:

Nicola> i really like your ideas (apart from the Ron sacrificing himself bit), especially about Neville.

anyway, yes, Bella is meant to be once-attractive but haughty, like Sirius.

Avatar Image says:

Why didn’t Bellatrix Marry Voldemort?

Avatar Image says:

Lovos> because she married Lestrange- wasn’t she also very young when she married? I can’t remember. Anyway I don’t think Voldemort cares enough about anyone to do marriage. Can you imagine a white wedding with that pair! :D

Avatar Image says:

Ohlala, very mouthwatering note from Helena. Maybe she will find out that Snape is still “DD’s man through and through” or maybe she has some Horcruxes in her vault.. or she will kill kill kill… Anyway I am really happy that Helena is playing the part of Bellatrix. She will be great. Tomorrow the premiere of the movie in Belgium and only 11 days to know the end, gosh I will cry no matter the outcome of the story.

Avatar Image says:

She plays a significant role in book seven? Interesting. Only ten days until we found out how!

Avatar Image says:

Hm, I don’t really like the sexy, glamorous look. The scenes I’ve seen so far didn’tr eally impress me. Bellatrix is rather supposed to be “once attractive”, and I don’t think the actors should decide on what look they want.

Avatar Image says:

Hey guys – not (really) nitpicking, but isn’t it more accurate to describe her as Ms Bonham Carter?

Avatar Image says:

significant as in Neville’s totally gonna give her the line in the last one. Seek your vengence young Longbottom! :D

Avatar Image says:

I was just going to write that too, Angela…

the name’s Bonham Carter, not Carter.

Avatar Image says:

I think she was at Godric’s Hollow, that’s why she talks like a baby to Harry.

Avatar Image says:

“Hasn’t Rowling implied that the giant chess game in Book 1 symbolized things that would occur in the battle between Harry and Voldemort?”

I think Jo said the scene was significant because Ron says “Its you that’s got to go on I know it. Not Me. Not Hermione….You

Avatar Image says:

Shouldn’t this be in spoiler tags, maybe we don’t want to know that she is important in DH though it is pretty obvious.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: She is funny!

Write a Reply or Comment