‘USA Today’ Article and New Image from OotP

196

Jul 10, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

A new article from USA Today is online that highlights the elements that make up this next film as well as the characters, new and old. Quoted in this article are Order of the Phoenix director David Yates, producer David Heyman, actors Dan Radcliffe and Imelda Staunton plus screenwriter Michael Goldenberg. Mr. Goldenberg speaks in the article about the ‘darker Harry’ and also notes a conversation with author J. K. Rowling, where he remembers her saying of the character in the fifth film: ”…A psychologically plausible child would have been institutionalized by now, having gone through all this. He’s suffered and tolerated so much.’ “

The article also features a new still image from the film that shows Harry being held back by a Dementor during the attack. You can see this shot here in our Image Galleries.

You can read the complete article here.

Thanks to the Kimberly Blair for the heads up.

35 Responses to ‘USA Today’ Article and New Image from OotP

Per the Dementor pic:

“Service Temporarily Unavailable”

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Avatar Image says:

Guys, there is a slight tech issue with the galleries at the moment. Don’t worry, it will be resolved shortly. :)

-Edward

Avatar Image says:

“Sirius is really a surrogate father,” Radcliffe says. “They’re connected through Harry’s father, James. It’s such a painful relationship. I spoke to J.K. Rowling about it. I’ve only met her a few times, but I sat down with her, and we talked for about an hour. She stressed the importance of Harry’s relationship with Sirius. It is the absolute most important relationship of his life.”

Hummm, interesting. It is odd how harry never thinks of him in hbp.

Avatar Image says:

Nice picture….can’t wait till tomorrow:D:D:D ..God….OMG><<>>>

Question for those who’we seen it…How is it?Is it better than POA? Is it too short?

Avatar Image says:

Ummmm, since when can dementors “hold” anything? Oh well: it must be artistic license…

Avatar Image says:

I’m new to the whole posting comments thing but I wanted to show this off. Wikipedia has an offical picture of Kreacher for OotP. I know it’s legit because it was in this morning’s Free Press as well. Here is the link.

Avatar Image says:

Weird picture. It looks as though Harry’s on a subway instead of an alleyway. If it IS somewhere other than Magnolia ave, I’m glad I’ve been warned of it before I saw the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Kevin, that picture has already been posted by Leaky, quite a while ago. :) It was in an update to a news item so was easy to miss – I posted a link to the same image in some Comments because I too missed it XD He is very cool (and expectedly grumpy _) looking.

I’m still not too sure whether I like the new look Dementors… I’ll have to wait to see them in action to make a proper judgement, I suppose :/

Avatar Image says:

bah, dementors holding people seems very unlikely. but hey, a movie has to have dramatic points, right?

Avatar Image says:

wishes ootp would come out already gahhhhh, what is with that dementor?! since when can they choke people?! O.o; blah, that kinda ruins that scene, methinks.

Avatar Image says:

Harry does think of Sirius in HBP. He just matures enough to come in terms with his death. It’s mentioned in HBP, how he misses getting mails from Sirius.

Avatar Image says:

dementors can pull on someones jaws to open their mouth to kiss them … it happens in the prisoner of azkaban.

Avatar Image says:

luna, Harry remembers Sirius a lot in HBP. One of my favorite scenes is when Harry and Dumbledore arrive to the Burrow, and Dumbledore says to Harry that he is very proud of him, because he is dealing with Sirius’ death in a very mature way, and Harry talks with him about how he feels. I cried while reading this scene. It would be so awesome if they could include it in the movie.

About what Mr. Goldenberg says, Jo said something similar at the UK premiere, she said what she is more proud of in OotP movie is that they have been brave to include Harry being very angry, and she said Dan does this superbly. So I can’t wait to see the movie (just a few more hours, yeah!) because that’s one of my favoite things of my favorite book: OoTP!

Avatar Image says:

Can’t say i really like the director’s concept of the dementor in the article, oh well, i guess they have to spice it up some for the movies. I figure i’ll just have to close my eyes and picture my own dementor. Still looking forward to seeing the movie in a night or two though.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my,that is really far from what I imagine of a dementor, I think we all have a way to see the characters and beasts of HP

Avatar Image says:

im so excited im goin to the midnight showin tonight! Ya!

Avatar Image says:

I cant wait to see the movie i just wish they put the the scene of when harry destroys Dumbledore’s office, alto i dont think they did :( oh well i’m just happy its finely coming out!! i’m going to the midnight showing too!

Avatar Image says:

Samantha, Dan said they have filmed that scene, what I don’t know is if they have included it in the movie. Because they have also said they have had to cut some parts of those last scenes because of the time. I just hope that if it’s not in the movie, it’ll be on the dvd.

I spoiled myself the scene with the dementors, after watching TRL yesterday, and they look great, they look better than that pic. Also, it’s strange to look at that pic and realize that dementor was not there when they filmed it, Daniel is always amazing working with special effects and stunts. The thestrals look great too, the only thing I didn’t really like is Grawp, but I can not imagine other way they could have done him so…

Avatar Image says:

I hope they put the smashing up DDs office in to the dvd if not in the film. I love that bit of the book.

Avatar Image says:

The picture w/the review is NOT from the dementor attack. It’s in the ministry when Voldemort possesses Harry. Very cool!

Avatar Image says:

MK, um, that is the dementor attack. Unless you’re looking at a different picture.

Avatar Image says:

I’m for the mid-night release in 2 hours! Ahh I can’t believe it’s finally here after waiting so long and through all the build up. Awesome pre-movie experience I’m having I’ll tell you that haha.

One query about the picture/scene though. How come throughout the whole dementor scene their hoods are down? It kind of makes it less scary and spintingling when they take it down right before they kiss someone.

Avatar Image says:

MOVIE SPOILER WARNING: I just saw an advanced screening. It was awesome! My favorite movie so far, hands down.

The dementors were great. Yes they grab harry but let’s keep in mind in canon they DO have hands so obviously they can grab things.

Grawp and the centaurs were kind of sucky. Umbridge was great. The battle at the ministry was great but there were some special effects that weren’t very canon.

It was great overall!

Avatar Image says:

More spoilers . . . The part of the ministry battle that wasn’t very canon was that the death eaters and the order members both sort of turned into big puffs of smoke and flew around the room. Where did that come from??? It looked cool but I really think I’d remember if they could fly in the books.

The veil was kind of weird. Not made of black fabric, but more of a swirly silvery misty stuff. Bellatrix hits Sirius with an AK (not a stunner) and he gets sucked through the veil.

Avatar Image says:

“She absolutely believes what she’s doing is for the good of the ministry. She’s consistent, loyal, dedicated and blind.”

What a perfect discription of Umbridge. When I first read Staunton would play Umbridge I was not very pleased, having seen her only as a small neurotic joke of a woman, and not ugly enough to match the book image. But now with the shoots and prequels I am glad they choose her and let go of the frogginess but went for the poisenous pink candy.

I wonder if Emelda’s performance will start an Umbridge fanclub. Lets face it, Snape, Lucius and Draco are not very huggable in the books, but thanks to Alan Rickman, Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton they have huge crowds of fans. Fans that still take the bookcharacters serious and search for more then they eye meets.

Same could happen with Umbridge.

Avatar Image says:

i’ve watched the movie just 45 mins. ago! I can’t say that it surpassed the GOF but it’s really awesome! I’ve noticed that Luna bellowed “Levicorpus” at the ministry! But that spell won’t be discovered until HBP, and Luna won’t know about it!... Well the best thing that can be said is that Emma’s back! I mean, she shines here more than in GOF!(watch, she’ll do a little bit lot of some laughing!)

Avatar Image says:

So I just got out of the 12:01 viewing of OotP and I have to say that it is…odd.

Not bad, but odd.

I think the weirdness stems first from the music – I felt like most of the time, the music was “tinkling” – just light, simple music with nothing much grand about it – almost the entire movie.

And matching the music – all of the “CAPS LOCK HARRY” scenes, all of any of the relational conflict scenes – were dialed WAY down. Only once did Harry get CAPS-LOCKY – when he yelled at Dumbledore “LOOK AT ME!” That was a good scene all around.

The actors were great – Dan and the gang better than ever. Bellatrix (Helena) was outstanding! Gary was terrific! A. Rickman wonderful!

And now I’ll got to bed – enjoy the movie everyone!

Avatar Image says:

I just got back from the movie and all I got to say was GREAT!!!! I think they did a wonderful job!! They really tried to keep with the book….man when Sirius died I was balling my eyes out! It was so sad even though I knew it was going to happen! I love how Sirius enters too that was so funny….and I also think they had more jokes in this one as well…over all I think it was the best movie so far! Now I just cant wait for it to come out on DVD!!!!! Lol

Avatar Image says:

I just returned from the midnight show at IMAX and I am disappointed beyond belief. This is a terrible movie, in general, and the worst HP movie to date. There is no character development, the editing is incompetent, and few who have not read the book will be able to comprehend this film. Ron and Hermione were barely in it, and the story was butchered. I hated it and will NOT buy the video. I am sorry that this man will direct the next movie because I don’t think he is capable.

Avatar Image says:

Well.. I also have seen it and I totally disagree by Ronsgirl. This was better, in every sense. Character Developement? Huh? Well I think you are partially right but it is not tooo poorly handled as you are saying. Editing was satisfactory. Ron and Hermione well I think yes, they have very very minor role. But overall this movie was Amazing. From the first scene, it was totally awesome. There were small bits I don’t liked and I would have given this a movie 3 out of 5, but after watching climax I was completely blown-up. 5/5 for sure.Best Potter yet.

Avatar Image says:

MOVIE SPOILERS ahead (well some at least)

Listen, I’m never to be easily impressed, especially when it comes to our Harry Potter movies. However, I just got back from the midnight screening, and I feel David Yates has succeeded in leaps and bounds. Its amazing, and so much different than the previous films that there is simply no comparison. This makes the other films look ameteruish.

I commend acting as the best indicator of this. Radcliffe’s acting ability has skyrocketed. If he could have done this, or at least had been given the screen time to do so, in the past films, they would have shined. He shows Harry as the immensely deep and especially disturbed character he is in the fifth book. Yates allows this to happen so seamlessly and Dan never ever drops the ball with this acting improvement; I was blown away. Highlights include his (SPOILER) ”...look at me!” in dumbledore’s office, his amazing range in showing Harry going mad after taunted by Dudley and others at school, his natural chemistry (and anger) at Hermoine and Ron, his POSSESION by Voldy, etc… I was actually looking forward to his acting every single scene in the film by the end.

And of course, David Yates is responsible for a good chunk of this growth. The film is totally about HARRY (I’m not sure I agree with this first person narrative, but…that is how the book is!) and how it should be. Every scene is driven to show some facet of Harry’s state of mind, character, etc. Of course the other films obviously were also like this, but Yates takes it to new heights. Using scene composition, he extends Dan’s performance. One thing I kept seeing was how he would place Harry on the edges of the frame again and again whenever he was feeling isolated, or depressed. This spacial discontinuity (we expect him to be in focus, in the middle) naturally forces us to see his development. Talk about character development! Harry, when he becomes happy with the DA, is (surprise, surprise!) seen to be in the middle of the frame, with Ron and Hermione on his side.

Anyways, there are a lot more Yates did to advance the story’s character development. But I really got to go to sleep, and will continue later on. Sorry if this was crazily long and boring. I’ll mention the editing next time, and so much more. I want to talk about Ron’s acting, and Emma getting her character down finally. And…the film’s downfalls…gtg later.

Avatar Image says:

Mundungus, I agree with you, but I think that one of the reasons the past movies were not like this one is because of the script. Kloves is really biased with Hermione and Ron and the actors, and always forgot abour Harry. I wish Mr. Goldeberg would write the script for the last two movies… I’ve seen Equus and I’ve read the great reviews Dan’s new film ‘December Boys’ is receiving, he even managed to do a perfect Australian (Adelaide) accent. He is becoming a great actor and I wish they would give him the opportunity to show it, like he did in OotP. All the OotP reviews praise his acting, but many of them say the script, althought it is better than previous movies, still doesn’t help his character, so the actor and director are the ones who have to do everything. And seeing some scenes, I feel sometimes the director doesn’t help, for example the Occlumency scenes. Harry is sitting, I’ve read Yates wanted it to look like a electroshock scene, but he should have let the actor to stand up so he can face Snape, otherwise, the director is letting Rickman to do whatever he choose with the scene if he wants.

I really liked the movie, it’s my favorite so far. Stuart Craig deserves an Oscar yes or yes, the sets and artwork are amazing, I think some fans only care about stupid things and don’t stop to enjoy the great things these movies have.

I want to see it again and again, because there are so many little details, and I think each new time we watch the movie we will manage to catch these details.

All the actors are great, like Jo said Dan is superb, and Imelda, and Helena, and Gary… The only thing I didn’t like is Grawp, that scene is nothing like book. I can understand they change some things that make the movie better, because doing them like the book say wouldn’t work in a movie. But that scene is complety invented, and Grawp looks very strange, the rest of special effets are great though.

Avatar Image says:

I confess that I find myself disappointed. It wasn’t so much what they cut but what they changed. The external struggle with the DOM was great but, wasn’t anyone concerned with the “big” scene in the ministry? I found myself longing for more intensity which could have been easily provided had they more closely followed the dialogue and descriptions in the book. Harry should have used the unforgivable on Bellatrix for which she taunts him. The possession could have been so much better if Voldemort had been taunting Dumbledore to kill Harry/him instead of Dumbledore pep talking Harry. Anyways, maybe I’ve read the books too much to really enjoy the movies.

Avatar Image says:

dark_harry... i thought it was the best one so far. i mean, it incorporated nearly everything from the book… just cut down and quicker. wouldve liked the mirrors to show up tho… but u cant have everything.

i knew i was gonna cry when sirius “died”... that was so fast!!!! but still… its gotta be my fave one so far. very well done.

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Not the best I have seen...

Write a Reply or Comment