197

Jul 11, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As readers are well aware, the long awaited Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has now opened in theaters. According to a press release sent to us by Warner Brothers, the fifth Harry Potter movie opened in

“4,285 locations and over 9,000 screens, the widest domestic release pattern ever for any Warner Bros. film. As part of this opening, the film will be shown digitally on 579 screens in 325 locations, more than any Warner Bros. film to date.” With showings in many cities starting at midnight, the film will also have the largest number of day-and-date international openings of any film in the franchise, with simultaneous releases in 44 markets worldwide beginning July 11, 2007. This far surpasses any of the previous Harry Potter release patterns, almost doubling the 24-market release pattern of the previous record holder, “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.”

In addition, Warner Bros. has generated the greatest overall number of prints for “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’ with over 22,000 prints going to exhibitors around the world. Internationally, it is also the largest digital cinema release to date for any Warner Bros. title with over 750 screens.

On the IMAX front, “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” is breaking industry records, going up on more IMAX screens than any previous release. The film will open on 126 IMAX screens worldwide ’ 91 of those in the US, with many featuring the final scenes of the film in IMAX 3D.

Coming Soon is also reporting today that the film took in 12 million (USD) from the midnight screenings of the movie as it opened last night.

As we told you yesterday there are many major reviews of the movie now online; please check our post below as it will be continually updated with more links to the reviews as they come in.

89 Responses to “Order of the Phoenix” Opens in 4,285 Theaters, Takes in Reported 12 Million Opening Night

12 million $ ? OMG !!

Avatar Image says:

I went to the midnight showing last night and OotP was playing on 8 screens in our movie theater alone… 1,100 tickets were on sale… I THINK they sold out… our theater was sold out, anyways… The movie is AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

Going to see it on Saturday on an IMAX screen. Will be first time I see an HP film in a movie theater.

VERY EXCITED!

Avatar Image says:

just seen it and i’m in the uk, thought it was the best one yet despite a few cheesy moments (the posession scene in particular!) thought luna was fantastic! really glad it’s made so much money cos i think this one deserves it.

Avatar Image says:

I enjoyed the movie, but I was disappointed at the ministry scene. I don’t want to say much cause I don’t want to give anything away to those who haven’t seen it, but I was not impressed with that part. They changed waaaaaaaAAAAAaaaay too much. Also, my friend has only seen the movies, and he was really confused at this one because they didn’t explain anything very well. I agree. It felt SUPER rushed. This movie and I have a love/hate relationship just like I do with all the other films. I just know the books too well!!! haha It was very well made, though, and I of course, loved it – regrardless of the fact so much was changed.

Avatar Image says:

I went last night at midnight and my show had 10 theaters playing it and everyone was sold out!! I haven’t made up my mind about this one yet, I’m going to see it again on Sunday and then I’ll decide. It’s kind of hard to make a decision after the midnight show because you miss parts because the crowd is so excited and loud!! One thing I did like Ginny kicked butt!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I also agree the whole movie seemed too rushed to me ::shrugs shoulders:: but like I said I won’t make my final decision til Sunday

Avatar Image says:

I was disappointed in this movie compared to the book (though that’s usually the case). The big emotional scenes seemed underwhelming and not that emotional compared to the book. I was a good movie overall, but after JUST having read the book, it’s weak. The ministry scene had some great flashing moments, but easily could have been better. I also agree the movie felt rushed in areas where it shouldnt and slow in areas that could’ve been rushed.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who felt like it was rushed.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, they were playing 4 screens for our midnight showing, and were all sold out. 12 million $? OMG!

Avatar Image says:

I saw it last night at a midnight release, and I just saw it a second time with my niece about an hour ago.

I think this movie is absolutely the best one, hands down! There was NOTHING cheesy about it. There was more heart in this movie than all the others put together and that is really saying something.

There were many changes, but when you consider what they had to accomplish – it was incredible. The ministry scenes were fantastic. And when LV possesses Harry – OMGoodness!

All I will say is that it was VERY satisfying! If you can separate the books from the movies and realize that they are two entirely different forms of entertainment, this movie will not disappoint you in the least.

Bravo!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with you guys! I won’t say much till after the weekend when most of us have scene it, but it was rushed, and the parts that really needed to be kept in there, weren’t. I was very frustrated. But they left in good parts too. ANd yes, my crowd was way too loud and noisy too. Especially with popcorn. I want to see the movie, not eat. Want to see what they left out. I will see it again on Friday. The book will always be better. But would have loved to have scene those exciting, and crucial parts!

Avatar Image says:

That was officially the worst HP movie yet, and the worst movie I have EVER seen. I literally burst into tears and sobbed. I seem to have developed a permanent twitch in my right eye. They absolutely DESTROYED it. Slaughtered it. Cut out every single one of my favourite parts and added in stuff that made no sense, wasn’t in the book and just added to the confusion. Yes, Luna was great. Yes, the special effects were good.

spoiler

And Dumbledore COWERING before Voldemort?! I don’t get it! Harry didn’t yell or smash anything in Dumbledore’s office. They didn’t show Sirius’ mother. They cut most of the Ministry stuff out and replaced it with scenes that didn’t match ANYTHING out of the books. Out of the 250 people or so that were in the theatre with me, I think four people came out happy. I wasn’t the only person crying. I’m shocked. If I was J.K. Rowling, I would be devastated at the mess they made of such an amazing book. And things that are very IMPORTANT in the sixth book. None of it made sense. Even Mr. Dursley didn’t yell. Petunia didn’t get the howler. Mrs. Figg and Trawlany seemed far more timid and scared than they ever were in the book. Not a single character truly freaked out in this book. It’s just… just… I feel more let down than I ever have in my entire life, and that is saying a LOT. They added new characters who weren’t in the books, took away characters like Marietta, and why on earth did Luna use ‘levicorpus’ in the ministry?! This movie made no sense. It didn’t follow the book. My friend who hasn’t read the book was COMPLETELY lost and had no idea what was happening, especially with Mr. Weasley.

Honestly, this ruined my week. I don’t care how good the acting was (which it was, the acting was excellent). So much was changed and taken away and added in, it wasn’t even the same story any more. After waiting four years for this movie, I’m crushed. I won’t even bother going to see the sixth and seventh, as much as I love the actors. I can’t bear to see these works of art destroyed again.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah. What was levicorpus doing in this one? haha Hmmm.

Avatar Image says:

Have my worst fears materialized? Dumbledore actually cowering in front of Voldemort? If that is so, I will not see that film. Well, may be once, to form my own opinion.

How can any one be so much off the mark? How devastating.

Avatar Image says:

Ashleigh, you spoke my words exactly!!!! I wanted to say all of that to the T but didn’t want to spoil anyone. But you put spoiler so that’s ok.. I agree sooooo much on all of that! I too was devasted! Crushed, and couldn’t sleep. I actually dreamed Voldy was talking to me, ha, weird, but true. And have been depressed all day. This isn’t going to help how we may feel in 10 days. This may be the most depressing month ever! I hope not though! I hope they at least have more stuff in the DVD. But usually not. I feel for the actors too, they were all awesome! But weren’t able to fully show what their characters do in the book. WOuld have been great. And he director is coming back for 6? He needs to change now! Otherwise, I won’t see it either.

Avatar Image says:

I saw the midnight showing of Harry Potter last night. Sold out, as expected. The movie was pretty good I thought. They did the best they could… However I am upset that the movie only lasted a little over two hours. The POA movie lasted longer than that, and the 5th book is the largest book out of the whole series! I didn’t understand that. I went with my sister and a friend who are readers of the HP series also. By the reactions of the other people in the theater we were sure that we were the only ones who read the books lol. And I have to agree with a few of you, a lot of my favorite parts were cut out of the movie. Like in the ministry—I was so excited to see the part with the brains because it was so funny to me in the book. It didn’t happen. And how Fred and George left school was only half right. What about them flooding that part of the school and it taking days to get rid of… What about Firenze the centaur—he wasn’t even introduced! And the part that really upset me was Snapes Memory, which in the 5th book has an entire chapter dedicated to it. The memory was only shown for about 15 seconds and it happened so fast I couldn’t really tell what was going on. Where was Lily taking up for Snape and him calling her a mudblood??? That is so important in the future books and can’t believe they didn’t show it. Sirius’ mother’s portrait..where was she? Instead of complaining about all they left out I should just say for the average movie-go’er OOTP is a great movie-my favorite of the the HP movies so far actually. I also loved the directing, he did good. But for all of us who read the series-beware because you will come out slightly, if not completely, dissapointed.

Avatar Image says:

NOO! I can’t see it for another week! dies I don’t have a friggin ride! I may flip out! LOL Oh well, waits

Avatar Image says:

and oh yeah I definatly agree with Ashleigh… Dumbledore and the DA kicked wayyy more but in the book! I was so upset by that. They made Dumbledore look weak, and made Harry look weaker than what he is. And the Mr. Weasley part confused me too lol… I mean really I wanted it to show St. Mungos… thats where they see Neville visiting his parents and I was so hoping to see Gilderoy Lockhart again…confused lol.

Oh and I want to make one comment on the acting-everyone did so great but I really loved Helena Bonham-Carter as Bellatrix. In the preview of OOTP I thought she butchered the part because like all of you, I have my own interpretation of each character in my head. But I was shocked to see that she played it sooo well.

Avatar Image says:

Dumbledore does NOT cower before Dumbledore. CALM DOWN, people! The fight scene was just fine, and Dumbledore never cowered. The only time he kneels down is when Harry is being possessed, and he kneels to talk to him. That’s IT!!! This film was totally AWESOME and a MUST-SEE!!! Yes, things were cut, but that’s going to happen, and for the most part, the film was adapted in a very fine way. Top notch.

Avatar Image says:

I saw the midnight showing as well – and feel vindicated by what has already been said. Yes, the acting was much improved (Dan) and fantastic (Helena/Bellatrix) and others as well, but it was such a…a…an odd movie.

If I could sum it up I would say that it lacked a center of gravity – no one knew what was the driving issue. I mean it’s named The Order of the Phoenix, so you partly waiting for the Order to be the most important thing – but it’s not. Then you think maybe it’s about Cho – but then she disappears. Then you think it’s about Voldy and there’s a big ol’ battle, and then the movie is over. So weird…

And while it is true that the actors are great – CAPS LOCK HARRY went on vacation (with one really good exception – SPOILER – in DD’s office after the Arthur/Snake incident, Harry yells at DD “Look at me!” – that was amazing!)

Avatar Image says:

I think the movies get better with each. I enjoyed the movie a lot. I have 2 big problems with all the movies. 1. They change way too much from the book (in Goblet they cut out so much due to time and length contraints, only to add a completely pointless and made up scene) 2. The emotions of scenes in the book are either eliminated completely from the movies, or if they are there like in Phoenix, the are too superficial. I also agree that the movie was way to rushed. What can I say, I am a purist. I know they have to cut a lot of stuff because of length etc, but they then make too many changes to what’s left. Still, it is the best one so far.

Avatar Image says:

Fawkes was also cut out! And the part where Dumby tells Voldy ‘there are worse things than death’. All the mental stuff he talks to him about, is very important! It’s what the whole story is about. But did you see a dark haired man dissapear in smoke when the ministry thing between V and D were about to begin? Was that Snape? It was very quick.

Avatar Image says:

I am curious to see what the people at Leaky think of the movie. Speaking of, why hasn’t there been a PotterCast? They were in Eugene, OR last Friday, but there hasn’t been anything posted about it. Hmmm. Anywho, moving on . . .

Avatar Image says:

The acting in this movie (to me)was great. The actors may you believe that you were there with them. I do believe that tooooo much was missing from the storyline to keep with the other films. To me their were holes in the story. If I have’t read the books I would of been lost. I believed they took more out then needed. Will I watch it again? Yes when the DVD comes out.

Thank you, Ashleigh!

I was crushed when none of the (verbal) fight scenes took place; the movie started out so well, and then the Dursleys were like “Oh – good, they kicked you out.” And Harry didn’t yell at Dumbledore!! Theres so much angst in Harry’s character in the book, and none of it is dealt with satisfactorily in the movie; hes angry a lot, but its never explained.

Umbridge’s character took a long time to develop; at first I was disappointed that she was so sickeningly sweet, when its obvious that the book makes clear that her personality is superficial. The movie pulled through on that one at the end with the ridiculously made up detention scene.

The bottom line is, the book is 870 pages long. The movie could have been far longer (even 30 extra minutes would have been great) and more could have been included. The story was choppy, yes, but the darkness of V’s return could not have been more apparent.

Did I like the movie? I’m not sure yet. I was so disappointed that I didn’t give it much of a chance after the beginning.

Will I see it again? Definitely.

Here’s hoping the final HP event of the month is a great one.

Avatar Image says:

Well I see it in IMAX 3D tomorrow and I already spoiled myself when I read the review from the guy who saw the pre-screening! So anything that DOESN’T PERTAIN TO HARRY, will be cut. So no Ron with brains flying, or lake in hallway, Fred and George leaving the “right way” etc…! Yes I know all that was cool and fun in the book, but its not important to Harry’s journey! I can deal with it and lastly if JK was OK with it, and she was, then its fine by me. The movies will never be as good as the books so get over it, stop being so anal and just enjoy the movie!

Avatar Image says:

very dissapointing…i guess i should just resign myself and stop hoping for a good potter movie. (though I did like the 1st and 3rd one)

Avatar Image says:

I saw it this morning. I was initially disappointed that “certain parts were cut/changed.” But I don’t see how they could have included those things and kept the film concise & cohesive. Yes, the movie was fast paced…which I liked. But as an avid fan of the book, I was glad it didn’t overtly explain the backstory & ruin the subtlty.

I think Michael Goldberg did a great job trimming my favorite book of the series to make it come alive on the screen while remaining true to the essence of the book.

David Yates did a great job with the actors. I felt Michael Gambon was a better Dumbledore, which I can only attribute to Yates’ love of the material and thoughtful direction…not Gambon finally reading the book. Glad he is doing the next one.

The trio was great, well portraying teen angst during heightened fears.

I LOVED the foreshadowning regarding Ginny (the subtle camera lingers on her were outstanding!)

Luna was beautifully done by Evanna—exactly what I imagined.

Matt Lewis is complete underrated. Neville’s growth & courage made me cry.

Umbridge…disgustingly vile, made my skin crawl.

Would have liked more Order, Snape, McGonagall…But how could they have added more of them while still keeping it 2:30:00 & COHESIVE?

Overall, I loved it…the best of the series IMHO. Totally recommend the 3D verstion.

Besides…what was left out & kept in—which is all agreed to by JKR, gives us clues to what is going to be important in Deathly Hallows. If she said that she loved it…who are we to criticize?

Avatar Image says:

I was lucky enough to live by an IMAX theater, and I have to say, the 3D stuff was great, (though the specs could be more comfy). I went in there thinking it’d look corny, but it looked amazing. As for the things cut out, they were probably cut out because to include them would exclude those who don’t read the books. My fiance’s never (willingly) touched a book in his life. Happily, there was only one part that needed explaining to him. The one thing that did kind of ruffle my feathers was that they changed the appearance of floo-calling. Sure, the different directors in the past have made changes film to film, but for some reason, that stood out to me. All in all, I look forward to seeing it multiple times, begging one of my friends to buy a bootleg in New York, then finally buying, (hopefully in HD) a copy. (Please don’t start about bootleg copies..you’re not gonna convince me of anything.)

Avatar Image says:

Well my theatre was part of that 12 million with 7 sold out shows. It has taken some time to digest the film today, when I left early this morning, I knew there were parts I loved and parts I was disappointed in, but still wasn’t sure of what my overall feeling was. Now, after thinking and talking about it today, I realized how much I really did enjoy this film. There were parts that could have been improved upon, mainly the talk in DD’s office at the end, but so much of it was well done that it was not overly detrimental to the film at least IMHO. The things I truly loved were LUNA, the possession scene, all the Ginny/Harry looks, and the ending with the Ministry 6. Yes, it could and should have been longer at least by 15 minutes, but what they were able to get in during the time alloted was amazing. I can’t wait to see the movie again, and I definatly can’t wait for the DVD, I just hope Mike delivers and shows us all the rest that he had to cut due to time constraints.

Avatar Image says:

Darn it….sorry…meant to say I hope David delivers…watch GOF with my little guy tonight and my brain still hasn’t shifted back. LOL!! Oh and I completely agree with Kris that Matt Lewis did an absoutley incredible job with Neville!! I loved how everyone crowded around him and hugged, etc when he did Expelliarmus!!

Avatar Image says:

I liked the movie for what it was but am sad that it was so rushed and chpooy. if it was just 30 more minutes it could have expliaed so much more that we know is needed for 6.

I wnet to my midnight showing and it was fun becasue every one was cheering and oh-ing it was great. They were only going to show the movie on 5 screens but ended up selling 12 screens.

I am still going to check it out in imax and maybe it will grow on me more. Please WB listen to the book fans and give the series the respect it deserves. We know what is going on in the next books and no what we need to see for the story to continue and for those who do not need read the books how do you understand these films at all?

Avatar Image says:

I Loved it! Of course nothing can ever compare to the books but this one was great. Esp when compared to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire movie. For those who think this felt rushed, then what did you think of Goblet? I was horrified by the edits, and the movie jumping all over the place in part 4. This one at least ran smoothly leaving me (as someone who read the book) knowing what was going on. I am going to see it again on Friday, again on the Imax 3D screens. I loved the huge imax screens and the feeling of being right next to the characters. When my son came out of the theater he said ‘Mom, I touched Harry Potter” I knew then that he loved it too.

Avatar Image says:

I loved every minute of this movie. Honestly, I thought they streamlined the movie very well, and a lot of the changes they made, bettered the movie and moved it along. Now, I see the movies and the books as two separate entities, so I don’t bother comparing, which makes me enjoy the movies much more than say, some other die hard purist book fans.

Either way, I’m glad to have contributed to that 12 million, opening midnight showings are always so awesome because the fans their are the hardcore ones and they’ll cheer, clap, and just be full of awesome.

I think that’s the true magic of going to these films. I had a memorable experience, and I can’t wait to see the movie on Saturday again!

Avatar Image says:

I liked the movie. It’s not the best movie ever, but it’s one of the best HP movies. Because the acting is impressive, the special effects, the sets… I think some of you forget about how amazing the sets are and how they bring to live these magical places. There is a part of the movie that I truly love, which is from the moment where Sirius dies until Fudges sees Voldemort, all that, I love it. Harry’s reaction when Sirius dies is the best thing of the movie, his anger when he runs after Bellatrix and while Voldemort is talking to him, it’s perfect. And then, finally, in my opinion, the best scene in all these 5 first movies: the possession scene, AMAZING!

A lot of the things you are talking about, they filmed them, like the scene whith Harry and DD at the end, they filmed that complete scene, like it was in the book, people in the pre-screenings watched it and loved it. The problem is they have cut 20 minutes of the end of the movie. Like a lot of scenes we have seen pics of, like Harry near the lake or more Occlumency scenes. I hope they put them on the DVD

Something this movie do perfectly too is Harry and Sirius’ relationship, Daniel and Gary have a chemistry that moved me so much. Daniel truly makes you feel how important Sirius is for Harry, and that’s what makes it so sad at the end. All their scenes together are perfect.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I did go to the midnight release. And my theater was full. It was the opening night for the IMAX theater in Muvico parisian 20, so they had an opening night ribbon cutting ceremony and they had some kids from “Shaq’s Big Challenge” there and they showed them to the audience and told us that they each lost more than a hundred pounds.

Also to answer the question about Harry Potter fans who watch the movie and don’t read the book and how they understand the movie. I think they love it even more because they won’t be affected by any scene that may have been cut etc. My son loves the movies, and he doesn’t read the books( but he will when he is older). My sister and her kids, and my brother and his kids all love the movies and they also don’t read the books (Although I have tried to convince them to read them numerous times). They all said that this was the best movie so far.

For some weird reason, I am still a huge fan of the first two movies, they just felt so magical and not rushed. It seemed as if everything that happened in the books was portrayed onscreen (maybe it’s because the books were so much smaller). After I watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix again I can get a better perspective on it, and truly see where I stand with it, and maybe add it to my top of the list, or at least on the same level as HP 1 and 2.

Avatar Image says:

I was very pleased with the acting overall. Thank God, Michael Gambon was believable as Dumbledore for a change. And he did NOT cower in front of Voldemort – he was shielding his eyes from the sand raining down on Harry and himself. I loved the dueling scenes for the way they showed how powerful the Death Eaters and Order members are – particularly Voldemort and Dumbledore. But I felt like all the smokiness with the disapparating and apparating, as visually appealing as it was, made the dueling a bit difficult to follow.

So many scenes cut/minimized, so many characters not fleshed – but I fully expected that. If they’re going to keep it to a 2-hour running time (I WISH they would consider releasing a longer print with an intermission, or two separate parts), things have to be cut and it’s only going to get worse. :(

Meliisa B, the first two films are wonderful because the magical world is new to Harry, and the stories are more youthful. Not to mention shorter – no wonder they don’t feel rushed! I love those too, but I think each film has been done well, considering the constraints.

I will indulge myself with one whine about what they chose to cut. I wanted Fred & George’s denouement to be longer, more satisfying, more like the book! I wanted a few wisecracks thrown at Umbridge on their way out! I wanted the swamp! BUT – the scene in the forest with Umbridge did kinda make up for that. :)

Avatar Image says:

GREAT MOVIE, nice graphics and cool shots in the movie, well done david yates

Avatar Image says:

I was warned that to enjoy the movie, you have to forget about the book completely. At first, with the dementors, I had difficulty doing that. Later though, I managed to watch it without thinking of the book, and it was really excellent in my opinion. Although it was changed in so many ways from the book, I still liked the film itself. Also, did anyone see in the credits how there was the slightly creepy boy and the somewhat doutful boy? that made my friends and me laugh so hard, that people were staring at us, so we had to tell complete strangers to look at the screen. Of course, the cast list had already scrolled up to high, so the parts were’t there anymore, so they thought we were insane. It was hilarious.

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, I’m really tempted to rate this as the best Potter film to date. There were just a few things, some small, some not so small, holding it back from being a truly great Potter film.

I disagree completely that there wasn’t a solid theme running through the movie. I thought it was pretty clear…Harry struggle to either withdraw within his own misery through the Dark Lord and Umbridges’ influence or engage his friends for additional strength and support.

By choosing love and friendship over not facing painful realities (as the Ministry was doing), Harry was able to realize the new Order of the Phoenix in Dumbledore’s Army.

And it all comes to a head in the Ministry where during the possession scene, Harry grabs on to that very fact…that he has friends to support him…to break the Dark Lord’s hold on him.

The drawbacks were some scenes in the beginning as well as the end that suffered. Some plot holes were left and some things important to this movie and perhaps to others were not explained. Some scenes really needed a little more time to breath and a little more emotion and intensity.

Apparently there was 3 hours worth of film shot. I’d really like to see the full version or even a version 15-20 minutes longer. It’s becoming clearer to me that WB basically placed and arbitrary limit of 2:15 on the film to satisfy complainers about film length. It’s kind of sad when The Transformers warrants a longer run time than the longest Potter novel.

• Spoilers

Just saw the movie. I agree that the plot itself was rushed, but I also kept waiting for it to speed up or maybe I should say…become more exciting. I mean where was the “wow?” Everything seemed so held back. Umbridge could have been more a lot more evil, and the best Dursley scene in all the books was so short. From the directing point of view, I didn’t like Harry and Dudley staring right into the camera on the playground, that was distracting, and why were Dudley’s friends there when Harry pulled out his wand..it was an important scene between the cousins and should have been kept between them. And that was the most un-Petunia dress they could have put her in.

Dumbledore didn’t cower before Voldemort, but he was knocked off his feet by the spell. What’s up with that??? When the ministry scene was done, all I could think of was “that’s it?” When Cederic died in movie 4, I cried. When Sirius died, it happened so quick I didn’t even react, and why didn’t they have sound in that part? Sadistic as it sounds, I wanted to hear Harry’s pain. Did Lupin get one line in this movie? However, I loved the possession scene.

The acting was great, all the new comers did a great job. Perfect casting. The biggest disappointment for me in this movie was the “Snape’s Worse Memory” scene. I know it’s a huge book and overall they did a great job with keeping to the story, but where was Lily??? I’d recommend the movie for people who’ve read the books, but I can see where people who haven’t read them could be confused.

Michael Gambon Totally Redemed himself, in my eyes anyway

Avatar Image says:

As far as speeding up…this isn’t really an action packed book until the last act. And I think this is the part as well as some of the beginning where they did most of their chopping where it could have benefited from showing more action from the supporting players especially.

For me though there were wow moments, just not until further into the movie. The whole forming and actual scenes of the DA were great, as were the Thestrals, and even Grawp’s scene was pleasantly surprising though a slight departure from the novel.

I’m not sure it’s going to be possible to get a “perfect” Potter movie with the business like way that WB is running the franchise. But I think this as close as I’ve seen the series get.

Avatar Image says:

Kudos to the actors who potrayed Luna, Bellatrix and Umbridge… they made the movie worth seeing! I also would like to congratulate Dan Radcliffe as well as the other actors who’ve acted on the screen brilliantly!!! WooHoo. David Yates did a good job but I’m not sure with the screenwriter “Micheal Goldenberg”. I agree with Crys.. the movie was rushed and some part of the whole OotP thing were altered. Duh!!!! The Fred/George escape from Hogwarts, Dumbledore’s Army, Trelwany being sacked (Firenze is missing), Ron/Hermione being a prefect and the Sirius/Black Veil thing were all “disappointing”. But overall it was a nice movie but not nicely done :) Sorry to those who disagree with me. This is just my own opinion.

Avatar Image says:

just saw ootp on the whole it was a very funny movie. i agree with those that said it was too rushed, choppy, too much changed / left out. where was harrys anger? the much hyped kiss scene rofl looked like it was thrown in to get people to go see it. evanna lynch’s portrayal of luna was the best part of the whole thing. am terrified of what yates will do to 6

Avatar Image says:

I hear yah D! After watching movie 5 I became worried of movie 6… come on Warner Bros!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was like everyone was enjoying butterbeers in the three broomsticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the entire place was packed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i JUST managed to get a good seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was sold out like 2min after the started selling the tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was one of the lucky ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The movie was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

One funny thing about the movie though is when Sirius told Harry that he’s gonna give him something, I thought it was the mirror instead it was the pic of the orginal members of OotP which was, in the book version, actually given by Moody. Lol. They should have remembered that the “mirror” thing is important in movie 7.

Avatar Image says:

I WENT to go see it at midnight. We got into the theatre. It’s 1am before they say anything. APPARENTLY the film wrapped around intself. 30 minutes later they cancel the showing and tell us we can get a refund at the ticket booth. It totally ruined my night. AND my family is going on vacation so I don’t know when I will be able to see it. =( I have always seen it on opening day or night.

Avatar Image says:

Ashleigh, Sirius’s mother is in the movie, but she is never shown physically. When Harry is going upstairs after arriving at Grimmauld Place and comes across Kreacher, Kreacher is muttering under his breath while tending to Sirius’s mother’s portrait (which is covered). You can hear Kreacher and the portrait conversing with one another, just in hushed tones.

Avatar Image says:

Lets just all hope that they do the 6th book some justice. It is such an intense story line that to cut too much out would ruin the whole thing. I feel like they should release two different versions of the 6th, though, sine it is soooo dark. Like, have a US PG-13 and a US R. haha Probably would never happen in a million years, but it would be cool! haha

Avatar Image says:

$12 million!!! Wow! I have to wait until Friday, but my parents saw it today. They thought it was amazing and my mom said she wishes Yates would direct the next two. When I said he was directing 6, she said “Good.” My dad gave it a 9.5/10 and my mom cannot wait for me to see it so she can talk to me about it. She said she missed that today.

Avatar Image says:

Very, very disappointing. It had a rushed feel and while I understand leaving things out from the book, I will never understand why they added in such cliched dialogue. Please, stick to JKR’s marvelous words… I will definitely have very low expectations for the next film.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I’m shocked by some of the reactions. I loved the movie. I’m not a fan of movies 1,2, and 4. 3 was pretty good, but 5 is my absolute favorite! And its tied with POA as my favorite book! I feel they made it watchable and enjoyable. I had to learn very quickly to distinguish books from movies and don’t compare them. My brother (read books 1-3) and my friend (has only seen the movies) loved it too.

Avatar Image says:

Plus all this stuff about the dialogue is nuts. A lot of it was word for word from the book. My favorite line though would have to be “Sorry Profesor, but I must not tell lies”. I laughed my butt off.

Avatar Image says:

O-M-G! I L-O-V-E-D’ed it! Im ignoring the nay sayers and “No comparison to the book” people. Of course it wasnt even close to the book, we have time to savor every detail Jo gives us, but David Yates was wonderful and did an amazing job guiding Dan Radcliffe through his emotional journey. Dan was out of this world and totally captured the spirit of CAPSLOCK Harry! Imelda Stanton was deliciously pink and Ron and Hermiones flirtation was sweet. But it was Dans posession scene that was was so frightning and heartbreaking, it was the cherry on top. OMG, and what Sirius says just before the BIG scene, my heart broke, poor Harry! Remember, ignore the critics, their butt pirates to begin with. If Harry was played by George Clooney and Hermione was Angelina Jolie the critics would love them, ACK! All in all, cant complain, it was GRRRRRREAT!

Avatar Image says:

I thought that the movie was great, I really loved it. I think it’s my favorite so far, but i’m seeing it again tomorrow night so i’ll decide for sure then. I was kind of disappointed with the Sirius death scene, I cried so hard in the book when he died bc he’s one of my favorite people in the books. I definitely feel like the movie could have made that scene better. I also thought that it was rushed, but thats what I expected anyway, its a very long book that has to be condensed into just over 2 hours, so I knew it would have some scenes cut out or changed to make it shorter. I do wish they would make the movies longer. I’m surprised no one has said anything about the kissing scene yet – I thought it was awesome! I loved it. Overall I think this movie was very well done, with just a few things that I was disappointed in, but the acting was absolutely amazing. I was very impressed. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Avatar Image says:

I am absolutely heartbroken having just watched “Order of the Phoenix.” I don’t even know why they stuck with that title seeing how little we see of the Order. This movie doesn’t make me question Snape’s loyalty at all, which given the events of Book 6, it should. When I read Order of the Phoenix, I can remember crying when Sirius died, feeling the same pain and suffering Harry was enduring. I did not feel anything when Sirius died, except for shock. I thought, “That was it!” The Ministry scene was poorly done. Harry shouldn’t have heard the prophecy, it was told to him by Dumbledore. I am fascinated by the idea of the veil, but I think many “movie fans” will have idea of its importance. When we see the group of kids re-enter the main hall of the ministry they have a couple of scrapes. How is it that these kids, as Lucius points out, are able to come away from the Death Eaters with only scrapes. Ron should have been injured, Hermione as well. The final flashback scene with Harry and Dumbledore was unmoving and unconvincing. If I didn’t know better, which I do, I would questions whether or not Harry even cared about Sirius, or was mad at Dumbledore. Harry was so calm, just sitting there. Where was the questioning, the pain, the rage? The only emotion that this movie got correct was the teen angst. Book 5 ended with such heartache, pain and guilt for Harry. Why did they choose to end the movie on such an upbeat note? It should have been very somber. Voldemort is back, no one should have been skipping around and giggling. I was thoroughly disappointed.

Avatar Image says:

(SPOILERS) I loved the Fred and George apparation scenes. Every time they appeared and I heard pop I would jump. It was great. I also loved how Harry and Sirius appeared to be such good friends. I loved when Grawp grabbed Hermione and she shouted to be put down. I think Umbridge and Bellatrix did a good job acting. Also Loony Lovegood was exactly how I pictured her, even my husband (who never read the books) laughed at how strange she was. He also loved Umbridge “little way of calling attention.”

I hated the kiss scene with Cho, it just felt so long. I didn’t imagine it would be like that. The Fred and George leaving scene could have been better. I hated the possession scene it felt so long and over drawn. It made Harry seem weak. I hated the fact that they made Ginny seem (seem) stronger than Harry when she used her spells. I think they could have made Neville look better, and showed his determination to be better a bit more. I hated that it looked like Dumbledore was really struggling with Voldemort. He was skidding and sometimes off balance while struggling to hold the spell connecting to Voldemort. I really hated that all the Death Eaters where able to take hold of Ron, Hermione and the others, and that Harry had to give Lucius the prophecy. I hated that there was hardly any emotion when Sirius died. I remember every time I read the book, I would put it down just before I reached that part of the book because it was so sad, and reading it again always made it seem more final. However in this movie, he died so quickly and suddenly and no real emotion was shown that I hardly remembered that he did die. I hated that they allowed Filch and Umbridge and everyone to always know about the Come and Go room. They should have introduced the Order of the Phoenix more and actually said that was what they were, no one who didn’t read the books would have been able to understand that part.

There is probably more, but I can’t think of any right now. If I do I will right another comment. I also really hate to use the word “hate” it feels like such a strong word for anything related to Harry Potter, so I will say that I didn’t enjoy those scenes instead.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, before I forget. I really do think Snape is a friend. Esp if I am to go by this movie. Did anyone else notice Snape’s face when he said “Then prove it.” It was the scene when Harry was saying “I am not weak” and then Snape made the comment. He looked like he really wanted Harry to over come this and win. He showed such emotion, it was great.

Oh, and I don’t know why, but after watching this movie, there was apart that made me really question Snape’s loyalty. I can’t remember the scene right now. Anyway, there was a scene where I started to think, Snape is definitely loyal, and it looks as if maybe he himself has lost someone important in life. I started thinking maybe he had a wife, and she died, maybe owing to Voldemort himself, and that is why Snape is bidding his time with the Death Eaters until he can set out to help kill Voldemort. Did anyone else get this feeling, or know a scene that made them question Snape’s loyalty also?

Avatar Image says:

I went to the Dutch midnight premiere of OotP, yesterday. It’s an awsome movie. Many storylines were cut, it’s not easy to put a book like OotP in a movie. The last scene with Harry and Dumbledore was a bit short. No anger it it, alas.

This movie has everything; special effects galore, love, courage, frightning scenes, friendship, humor, etc.

Overall I think David Yates did a great job! Kudos to him. It’s my favorite HP movie now! A definately must-see for moviegoers and not only for Harry Potter fans! :)

Avatar Image says:

I had attended one of the IMAX 3D showings in Manhattan yesterday. I was immediately drawn into the movie…it flowed well…unlike GOF which felt rushed to me. It has (so far) replaced the POA as my favorite. I am usually one to NITPICK THROUGHOUT…comparing book to movie…however, found myself doing so less during this movie. I fell into it, if you know what I mean. My mom and sister enjoyed it as well.

Can I just say it? YEAH!! GO GINNY!!

And the actess (Can’t remember her name at the moment) who plays Luna is Perfect!

And one of my favorite Hermione lines is in this!! The trio have the SWEETEST laugh after she says it…

YES, Dumble is a bit annoying in this one…but let’s face it folks…Gambon and Warner Bros just DO NOT get the Dumble character…there is a 7 word line Gambon peevishly says which just gets UNDER my skin…the line is directed towards the students as a group…see if you can spot it..it is SO-O-O un-Dumbledorelike….

About the Dumble cowering before Vold that is being mentioned in this comment section….I think it was just GAmbon’s acting…it was sort of an eye-squinting, looking over his shoulder thing…not so much a cower per se…at least to me anyway…

Avatar Image says:

THE IMAX 3D WAS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The movie was soo good, but correct me if i'm wrong, but they never explained that umbridge sent the dementors...

Avatar Image says:

I’m posting again, the other post was messed up…. THE IMAX 3D WAS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The movie was soo good, but correct me if i’m wrong, but they never explained that umbridge sent the dementors…and the movie made me so sad, I mean it was so good but it made me think about how the whole harry potter thing is almost over…=[

Avatar Image says:

Those final scenes some of you are talking about, they filmed them, they filmed Harry destroying DD’s office and Harry near the lake, the problem is they cut something like 25 minutes of the end of the movie, because they wanted a 2 and a half hours movie. This is not the same movie people saw at the pre-screnings. Fans loved those scenes when they saw them and I don’t think they should have done it. I think they should have cut Grawp and put those scenes. That ‘King Kong’ moment was unnecessary lol

But I liked the movie, I like how it was centered on Harry’s struggling after Cedric’s death and his connection with Voldemort (whcih I think will be very important in the final book) how he feels isolated and little by little he starts realizing that he needs his friends. DD said it on one of the books: “Harry you need your friends”. That’s one of the most important things in these books, and I’m sure it will be very important on book 7. So I’m happy they made it clear in the movie.

Plus, at the end, in that amazing, most freeky awesome scene ever, the possession scene, Harry realizes about something which I bet will be very important too: he feels pity for Voldemort, he understand the differences and similarities between them. This is something I think they will, or they should, develop in movie 6, with all the scenes about Voldemort and what Harry learns with it.

I cried when Sirius died because since the first moment Harry sees Sirius you realize how much he means for Harry. These actors do it so well, perfect job Dan and Gary. But the most sad thing is the moment Sirius calls Harry JAMES… Harry’s face when he hears that is heartbreaking, I would give all the awards of these world to Daniel Radcliffe for all the emotion I felt when I saw that. And then Sirius dies, there is no need for the sound, because his face says everything, again, it’s heartbreaking. Like I imagine it everytime I read the book.

Which remembers me something I found really odd: Snape is not like he used to be in other movies. He doesn’t speak calm and low and when he should have shouted, after Harry sees his memory, it’s actually the moment when Snape is colder, which is all the contrary of how things happen in the books! So now that I likde Dumbledore a little more, I don’t like Snape!!

anyways, I think people should forget about details, and realize about the true magic of these movies. They recreate all the wizards’ world with such a perfection, you see it and you truly belive it’s real, and you belive all these actors are these characters, and the spirit they transmit is MAGIC.

Avatar Image says:

!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE this movie was the worst of the HP films yet. I guess that i just had really high expectations!!! I really liked every other HP movie, but this one really didnt strike my fancy. If you really read the book then you will know what i am talking about when i say that there was just to much missing out of the film. They should have def. had marietta instead of just chow ratting out the DA. And the archway and did i hear the avada kadavra kurse being used? and no quittich?? and the weesly twins… no swamp??? and the Headquarters was just all wrong!!! not to mention no screetching mrs. black? no brains in the ministry? the fight between voldermort and dumbledore no statue involved? there were minor details that make or break the movie and well they should have just put about 20 more minutes of film into the movie and got the details in there and this would have been an A+ movie! to me this movie was just ok for me, dont get me wrong it was good for compacting 900 + pages but just not what i was expecting. I would purchase the movie but i dont think that i would pay to see it again like all the other HP movies.

Avatar Image says:

What book did they read to make this movie????? Because its not the same book that I read!!!! I feel sorry for the people who haven’t read the book because they will not know what is happening. They should get their money back after the movie. The fight in the ministry was sad very sad. They should redo this whole movie. I’ll buy it when it comes out only because I want the whole set but I’ll never watch it again. If I was J.K. I would slap the director for messing up a great book.

Avatar Image says:

The movie was great!!! I saw it yesterday and I’m going to the IMAX on Sunday and cannot wait!! This is the best summer EVER!!! :o)

Avatar Image says:

I wish they’d only made $11,999,990.00 because i want my Money back… this movie was Brutal…

Avatar Image says:

I saw it in IMAX 3D last night and the ending of the film in 3 dimensions is SO much better than that of the 2D version (I saw it at midnight as well at a normal theatre)

Avatar Image says:

I also was disappointed with the ending in the Department of Mysteries; I won’t get into details to prevent spoiling it for anyone, but it was really different from what I envisioned in the book. Too much went astray from what really happened in the book in the final scenes, and it was too short in my opinion. I loved the film otherwise (the performances were wonderful!) but I admit I did feel a little depressed about it for the remainder of the day. I seriously am hoping that David Yates allows for there to be an extended version of the movie on DVD since he did say that he filmed over three hours of movie and cut about 45 minutes. Oh well—maybe I’ll enjoy the ending more when I see it next in IMAX 3-D whenever the tickets aren’t sold out!

Avatar Image says:

The movie was good. I was sad that they left out some of the funnier parts with the twins though. I also did not like how they changed so much but this book in particular was hard to translate into a movie because so much of the movie is thinking rather than action so they made due with what could be acted.

Avatar Image says:

correction “so much of the movie is thinking rather than action” should be “so much of the book is thinking rather than action”

Avatar Image says:

I saw the movie last night, I came away at first disappointed then when I really thought about it I liked it. Bottom line is if you have read the book you will be able to catch everything and know whats going on, if you have not read the book good luck! because you will get lost. I understand that things had to be changed around, but come on, what was with the carrages? They looked like little house on the praire.

My husband said it in a nut shell and he does not read the books. He said” so I guess this movie was about Lord Voldemort coming out into the open” yup thats basically it. I was sad that the humor was missing in places also. But all that aside I thought it was okay. I can not wait for the next book!!! I know those of us who read them are going to be satisified.

Avatar Image says:

Evanna Lynch playing Luna Lovegood was so awesome and her scenes were the best of the movie…I also love her face that she makes when she’s staring off into space and the way she skips down the hallways. So cute! And that’s Evanna’s real voice, too. She actually does have that high, spacey voice and it’s just what I imagined Luna to have. Poor Luna got slapped in the face by a Death Eater… Ginny DID kick butt in this movie! I just wish there were more fight scenes with the kids in the Department of Mysteries and the scene were they get separated and explore different rooms of the Ministry. It would have been really funny to see a drunken Ron after getting hit with the brains. I also really did like it when all the kids were grabbed by the Death Eaters at wand-hold…Poor Hermione! Ginny didn’t look bothered by it, though. And speaking of Ginny, I really loved it when Ginny would look at Harry when she saw him with or going to see Cho. My favorite parts were Filch…he was so funny! And it actually portrayed in this movie that he was in love with Umbridge…a perfect pair! One of the most well-done parts was Harry’s detention with Dolores…it really looked like the words were etched into his skin…very disturbing, but still good…and so were the parts with Seamus Finnigan. Oh, and could someone tell me WHO THE HECK NIGEL IS? At first when I saw him in Goblet of Fire, I thought he was Dennis Creevey because he wanted to get Harry’s autograph…but instead of bringing Colin and Dennis back, they had this completely made-up character who even had a lot of screen time! I did think it was sweet, though, when Fred and George comforted that little boy after being in Umbridge’s office…awwww. Oh, and who was that boy with the long black hair? Was he Michael Corner?! And Dudley sounded so different in this movie! I think he’s finally hit puberty or something, ‘cause he has a completely different accent!

And, yeah, I’m with most fans…I was a little disappointed that Harry didn’t dwell on the loss of Sirius…he acted almost as if it didn’t bother him at all in Dumbledore’s office and he didn’t even get mad at the old guy! One of the most powerful moments of the book was 1.the possession scene and 2.when Harry is in Dumbledore’s office and blaming his godfather’s death on Dumbledore. For some reason, I was really mad that Sirius got hit with the killing curse! In the book, he got hit with a red spell, so there was a possibility of him returning…I don’t see how they’re gonna make up for that in the 7th movie if Sirius somehow returns.

My closing thoughts is that I ultimately loved this movie and that it is, indeed, the best so far even if it does feel a bit rushed. I love all the Girl Power in this movie and that it was more serious than the others (though it had a lot of funny moments). It really did show Harry’s isolation from the world and his anger and frustration at everyone. And Umbridge is definitely a character so vile that I ended up wanting to kill her! LOL Anyway, a lot of moments in this movie were really sweet and funny. And I think Michael Goldensberg did better with this movie than Steve Kloves. Highly recommended!

Avatar Image says:

My friend and I saw a midnight showing on the IMAX 3D… and now we wish we’d saved our money.

The movie was really disappointing, despite the good acting. Far too many cuts of anything involving the Order, too many changes that made no sense and seemed pointless, and it just felt rushed.

Of all my friends so far, the only ones who weren’t disappointed in this movie were the people that hadn’t read the book.

Wow, 12 million….

I saw it yesterday and although it was fairly good, I was disappointed. I kept laughing at all the wrong times just because the lines, special effects, etc. were odd (zooming smokey Death Eaters, Harry yelling about friendship and love while writhing on the floor, Kreacher’s super long ears of doom, Umbridge smacking Harry randomly in the face were just a few of those times). Also a lot of very important stuff was left out…but I digress. Umbridge, Luna, and Bellatrix were perfect (Bellatrix especially!). Grawp and the bycicle bell scene just about killed me…yes, there was a lot of humor and good stuff in this movie, and I enjoyed it, but still….you know, don’t listen to me. The main reason I’m disappointed with the movie was that Draco was practically invisible – I love my Dwakey.

Avatar Image says:

did anyone else who was disappointed in the movie also miss the scene where harry talks to nearly headless nick about the dead comming back? that part always brings me to tears.

Go Movie 5!!

The movie was awesome, I’m going to see it again on Saturday!

Avatar Image says:

God, I saw it at the midnight showing and I was completely dissapointed. All of the reviews that came out and the interviews with the actors made me feel so optimistic for the movie and I thought it would be the best yet, but I was totally let down and I think that it is the worst of the five. They cut out SO much! It was ridiculous. It was way too fast paced, you didn’t have any time to absorb anything and it just sucked! I think that anyone who hadn’t read the books would be completely and utterly lost. I had hope for it even up until the Ministry scene, but that was just mutilated. And the DA, what was up with having the Room of Requirement about twenty feet away from the Great Hall? Umbridge and Filch and everyone knew exactly what was happening and they weren’t remotely careful about not being discovered. And I hated the Room of Requirement too. I was not at all how I pictured it! It is supposed to be like a library and be a place where the students can learn and feel confident, but they made it dark and gloomy, like everything else. Yes, the books get darker, but not everything in Harry’s life is terrible. I don’t think they showed enough of the good thing, of life at Hogwarts, the classes and that, because that is what I love. Not everything has too be dark. The DA should have been the one bright spot, but it wasn’t. And the Ministry battle, omg! That was so bad. They cut out all of the other rooms. And not apparently Death Eaters can turn into black smoke that engulfs people. They were literally flying around, which is not possible. And they continued using the bad people=black smoke, good people=white smoke thing. Way to make it obvious who is good and evil. And they were just apparating, when Fred and George apparated it just made a weird squelching noise, no smoke or anything. be consistent people! And although the whole, Harry pities Voldemort thing was good, I feel like that is how the series is going to end, more dramatically obviously, but I think that in the end Harry will feel compassion for Voldemort and that is what will destroy him in the end, but no, they just stuck in in OOTP, who cares what happens in the book? And they left the locket out! And they didn’t mention Regulus! But I guess they can just screw that up in the sixth movie too. I just hate how the movies are getting less and less true to the books. Why is it so hard for them to leave things as they are? It’s a good idea obviously because of the millions of Harry Potter fans who obviously like what happens in the books, it’s not like they’re taking a big risk. I know that they have to adjust things for the movie, but adjusting and adapting are very different that mutilating. Sadly, I will continue to go and see the movies at midnight and but the DVDs the day they come out, but this movie really disappointed me. Oh, but Umbridge was totally AWSOME! She was perfect, and Luna was also absolutely perfect! And Grawp was adorable and Dumbledore was much better that in GoF, but that’s it.

Avatar Image says:

Omg! I had no idea I wrote so much!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and I can’t believe that Bellatrix AKd Sirius. The fact that it was just a stunner spell was supposed to show us that it was the veil that killed him and not they spell, but they just ignored that. And the veil was really weird. I mean I always thought that it would be actual fabric, like a really tattered curtain, but it was that weird milky swirly stuff. That was really bad.

Avatar Image says:

well I’m glad to see that I wasn’t the only one that was disapointed in the movie. the movie was very rushed, but I think the kissing sceen was too long!!!! the characters did not look or act like themselves and I was extreamly disapointed in snape and dursley, I expected more of them. personally I’m thinking it may be the fault of the producer, he’s new isn’t he. and since he’s also doing the next one I’m not expecting much from it either.

Avatar Image says:

My advice to the director and producer- Do us all a favour. Please,please, we beg you read Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince before you make the movie!!.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, Mr. Yates has read the books. He actually matches the script along side the book to make sure that information is accurate.

I have a better idea. Don’t read the book right before the movie, and just enjoy the film.

All the nitpicking is really pointless and aggravating. This film is actually the best one so far. It captures all of the elements from the book, especially its heart.

David Yates is brilliant! I, for one, am thrilled that he is coming back for the sixth movie.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I was unfortunately very disappointed in this movie (which has never happened to me with a Harry Potter before)…And I haven’t read the book since it came out years ago, so I wasn’t mentally harping on what was left out from the book. But there were key things that have stood out in my mind since that read from years past. I was expecting to see the stress of going on a date on Valentine’s Day, and the intro fight with the Dursley’s and the flurry of letters. The up and down extreme emotional ride that those scenes could have had would have been wonderful and would have added to the whole picture of Harry’s stress and confusion about who he is and what he wants out of life.

And when the Order came to take Harry, there was no explanation or introduction as to who they were or why Harry just decided to walk off with them. Harry had never really met the real Mad-Eye, and since the identity trickery of year 4 (GoF) I would expect him to be a little more cautious than to just walk/fly off into the night with a bunch of people he doesn’t even know without even talking to them. People keep trying to kill him, why would he do that?

Although it was clear that Harry was haunted in his nightmares and by what he had experienced at the end of GoF, the fact that everyone was in severe mortal danger was not evident. Including Molly’s boggart breakdown would have been helpful here.

I too was very surprised when the prophecy was heard off the shelf (and didn’t sound quite right either). And no one magically tried to Accio Prophecy, and then Harry handed it over Handing it over did not feel right at all.

The person I went to the movie with opening day had not read the book, but had seen and liked all the previous movies. She had to keep asking questions because the movie was so choppy and didn’t have dialog explanations for what was going on. Which at times was difficult because of the bad lighting and lousy camera angles and quick frame jumps from shot to shot. That style works fine in action movies where stuff blows up and there is little substance with quick, brief, obvious dialog, but this movie came from a substance filled story with tons of character development and that should have shown through.

I don’t think I will be buying this DVD as I have all the others. Unless they plan on releasing an improved version of the movie I think I will just have to re-watch the movies I love so I can enjoy the magic on the screen.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: I saw it!

Write a Reply or Comment