JKR Filmed During “Deathly Hallows” Writing for ITV Documentary

Jul 13, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

As we first reported to you earlier this month, author J. K. Rowling will be the subject of a TV documentary to air on UK network ITV this winter. Today, we now have more details of this documentary to bring you with the publication of a new article from the Scotsman. According to the article, excerpts from the documentary were shown as part of a STV launch yesterday where it was revealed that Jo was filmed finishing the last book in room 652 of Edinburgh’s Balmoral Hotel as part of the now titled ‘A Year in the Life… J.K. Rowling’ program.

In the exclusive clips shown last night at the event, Jo is also quoted in the article as saying upon finishing the book and being congratulated by an ‘off-camera film-maker:’

“Thank you…yeah, you don’t know, it might be rubbish. Some people will loathe it, they will absolutely loathe it. For some people to love it, other people must loathe it. That’s just in the nature of the plot.”

She adds, “I’m actually really, really happy with it”, before bowing her head on the keyboard to exclaim: “Oh my God!”

The article goes on to talk more of the documentary, its security and features another quote from Jo during the documentary, who describes her work as “Profoundly moral… I think it is a lie to pretend that even children of 11 don’t have to make moral decisions. I think it’s an outrageous black lie.”

A side note, the BBC also makes mention of the upcoming ITV documentary in an article online as well.

Thanks to voldevie and who mailed with the BBC link!

27 Responses to JKR Filmed During “Deathly Hallows” Writing for ITV Documentary

Avatar Image says:

Excellent, I shall look forward to watching that.

Second post :o)

I do hope it will be broadcast in the Netherlands as well !

Avatar Image says:

Wow. I think I’ll need bereavement leave if Harry dies.

Avatar Image says:

“it might be rubbish”?? why? SHe says that she loves it, so how can it be rubbish?

Avatar Image says:

It’s hard to say that what she says means Harry will die. She could be thinking that people will loathe it because classical, epic heroes are supposed to die, so “some people will loathe it.” It’s almost impossible to know what’s in her head, what “some people” trumps another “some people” in terms of loathing or liking.

Or I’m just making excuses because I too will need bereavement leave if he dies.

I’m hanging onto the “Harry can’t die or that amusement park in Florida will be one big graveyard” theory will all my heart.

Avatar Image says:

Amen, Jen. That quote from Jo made me nervous. Some people will hate it. I’ve always been so absolutely certain that Harry will live. I’m freaking out now…

Avatar Image says:

FAB! No matter what we all think about the book it will be really interesting to see this programme. I look forward to it.

Avatar Image says:

I’m confused. The article mentions “exclusive clips shown last night”—are those clips online? I couldn’t find them.

I have to say that I thought, when I read that she’d not only been in a hotel room when she finished the book but that she signed a statue (or whatever it was she signed) that it was not just her by herself alone in the room. It didn’t seem like something she would just do, on her own, sign something she didn’t own, you know? I thought she was at least encouraged to do so by the staff of the place, but it makes perfect sense that she was with a TV crew. She probably saved some very small bit at the very end to write in front of them, because they asked her if they could film her writing the end of it. I can’t wait to see this documentary, I hope it will be available in the states. Whoever is making this is missing a big money-maker if they don’t immediately put this out on DVD for sale, because it will be on the net by the next morning, probably.

Avatar Image says:

I am also hanging on to the amusement park theory, cara.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe Jo is doing this to make us believe that Harry dies so when we read it its a surprise.

Avatar Image says:

I know that most people will hate me for saying this but I think Harry is gonna die. I just get a feeling about it. I can’t wait for the show though only erm…counts on fingers 5 months to go till the documentary?

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think her loathe/love conversation is just about Harry’s dying/living.

I think her “it might be rubbish” is a clear look into the dark heart of writing. Any writer with a contract for the book rolling off their printer wonders, “Is it any good?” Even JKR.

That what keeps her a good writer, producing and challenging us, as readers—that she’s not complacent with her craft. And she’s probably a bit emotionally overwhelmed with ending a magical era of her life. Too hard to be objective sometimes, and the collecting weeping and/or criticism does sting.

But my admiration grows—she knows the challenges of 11 years olds!

—aughra far from 11, but not forgotten

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear. As we get closer to the 21st, I am not getting a good feeling about Harry surviving. I just hope it’s hype. Cara, I am with you and your themepark theory, too.

Avatar Image says:

I think the “rubbish” comment has to do with the fact that people have an ending already set up in their head for the series and when they read this if it doesn’t conform to what they want, they’ll likely hate it.

If she ended it with Harry waking up from all this being a dream, would that not make you mad?

Avatar Image says:

For me, She’ll ruin it if she ends it with “and they lived happily ever after”

Avatar Image says:

An AP movie review syndicated in our local paper (I’m sorry I don’t remember the reviewer’s name) really liked the film, but then ended with something like, “I always thought Harry would live, but after seeing this dark film and the sense of dread bearing down, it’s hard to see how he’s going to escape that fate.” I am beginning to agree . . .

Avatar Image says:

.< No! Everytime I see quotes like this it makes me doubt weather Harry will live or not. You still convinced that he’ll live Melisssa?

Avatar Image says:

So JKR says some will loathe it for others to love it and so people immediately jump on the ‘oh my god that means harry’s going to die’ bandwagon?! Get a grip, all she’s alluding to is that this is the seventh and FINAL book so there are obviously going to be many closed discussions such as the shipping crap from book six…as with harry/hermione, ron/hermione there were people who loathed that and there were people who loved it because they’d been hoping for it…don’t just add this generalised comment to reasons for why you’re ‘oh so certain Harry’s a gonner’, JK is NOT that obvious, she has not been leaving clues as to whether Harry lives or dies up till this point in the media…this is 17 years of her life! She wudn’t waste a decade of building up suspense as to whether he lives or dies before the books released. HER CLUES ARE IN HER LITERATURE NOT IN WHAT SHE SAYS IN THE MEDIA!!! Remember Harry’s fate is not the only thing which will be resolved in book seven…there are many other things which could be loved/loathed in the finale.

Avatar Image says:

Harry CANNOT die!! He simply cannot…it will be too depressing. After all he has been through…after EVERY HORRIBLE thing that has happened to him, she would not do this to him! He deserves a life! sniff I am already depressed…IF he dies, I will never stop crying and I just don’t know if I can ever return to the books with a completely happy feeling.

I mean, maybe it’s Hedwig that is going to die…that would be tragic! Or Hermione or Hagrid…sigh.

Avatar Image says:

I am really astonished what she is prepared to do for money. Although she refused a lot before, now she suddenly agrees to the amusement park and lets herself be filmed during writing the last lines, or let alone during her last year.

I am curious to see it, but it astonishes me none the less. And I don’t know wheter I like it.

Avatar Image says:

Cannot effing wait to see this documentary! SO COOL!

Hey Paul,

I thought the same thing. If he wakes up under the stairs…....

Avatar Image says:

...but she can’t kill Harry. Think of all the mothers that would want to sue her. There would be a class action lawsuit against her for the mental anguish she caused their children.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Harry will die. I don’t think he will die at all, at least not during his final battle with Voldemort. However, he could die if then end of the book goes on to tell about people’s lives after Hogwarts, etc. I do think that Hagrid will die, somehow. I think more people will die as well. If Hagrid does die, I hope he dies fighting other giants or something.

Avatar Image says:

im sorry to tell you all but ive heard harry does die and you will never guess who kills him its not voldermort its actually RON

i no i was very shocked too i still cant believe it im hoping its not true though

Avatar Image says:

Paul said: “It’s pretty obvious that there are some people with their minds set about Snape, the harry horcrux theory, harry dying, or even simple things like Ron and Hermione or Harry and Ginny marrying. If you set yourself up believing that your way is right and everything else isn’t then there’s chance your setting yourself up for a let down.”

Yeah, it’s going to be a lot worse than after the publication of HBP. A lot of people loathed that book, yet they still write and read fanfiction about the Harry Potter world. Quite a few of them still write them set after OotP. They refuse to take HBP into account. Isn’t that mad?

Imho, the Snape fans will be worst off this time around. I don’t think many of them are bracing themselves for the disappointment that’s almost bound to come their way.

Avatar Image says:

I was among the people who were disappointed by HBP There was too much romance – JKR is a lot better in portraying evil than love. In my opinion she is not very good in depicting authentic feelings and relationships. It all seemed so fake – almost half of the book was about snogging. The real love is far too complex to limitate it only to kissing . It all seemed so unauthentic that I wanted to skip the love parts – to the next lesson with Dumbledore. So I’m a little afraid that I will be among those dissapointed by DH. I hope I’m wrong and there will be more action and less kissing.

Write a Reply or Comment