J.K. Rowling Asking Booksellers for Help in Case of Young Madeleine

100

Jul 16, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is continuing in her efforts to help locate a young girl from the UK who went missing from her family while on holiday a few months ago. The case of four year old Madeleine McCann has generated world wide response, including early response from Jo who donated a large sum of money to a reward fund. Now J.K. Rowling is asking booksellers to display a poster of the missing child when they sell Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows this weekend. From a press release, Jo is quoted as saying:

“I fervently hope that posters displayed prominently in shops all over the world when the new book comes out will help find Madeleine McCann and will raise the profile of the many other missing children in different countries.”

There had been earlier talk of including a bookmark in the novels about the young missing British child, but the plans for that were scrapped reports the International Herald Tribune “because Rowling and her publishers “feel that they have a responsibility to protect younger readers and not to expose them to certain issues without their parents’ compliance.” The title of the book also made it inappropriate, the statement said. “

You can read more about the case of missing Madeleine McCann via this link, and also on Jo’s official website.
Thanks Skyle!

49 Responses to J.K. Rowling Asking Booksellers for Help in Case of Young Madeleine

Avatar Image says:

This is soooo sad i hope she is found. god bless her and her family

Avatar Image says:

I agree in the sense that if my sons saw news about a child that was abducted, more than likley it would scare and confuse them. At the same time it could open a line of communication about not speaking or going with strangers. It’s a double edged sword.

Avatar Image says:

God bless J.K. and the child’s family! It takes a true good heart to do something like this! I hope that the child is found and is safe with her family soon! And everyone please look for this child! She needs all the help that she can get!

Avatar Image says:

Kerri – not double-edged at all in my book. If the price of having my child be aware that there are bad people in the world is for her to be upset and confused, so be it. It’s a good thing I’m here to explain it to her. Granted, she’s only 2, so she has no idea what’s going on, but she’s getting bigger every day. I’m kind of dreading the thought now, honestly …

Avatar Image says:

Jo, you’re wonderful! Thank you for doing what you can to help Madeleine out (even if the bookmarks can’t be used). And Madeleine, please come home safely.

Avatar Image says:

Hope the young girl is found. And that her family is also well.

Avatar Image says:

I am not from England so I don’t know much about this, but how is this girl different from any other missing child? Just because she’s blond haired and blue eyed she deserves special treatment? I’m a little disappointed in Jo…

Avatar Image says:

It’s very sad… just devastating and tragic. but I was reading how she got lost and I found out that her parents left her a 2 year old twins alone in the hotel room… it was stupid! You cannot leave the children unattended. I’m sorry to say that, but it seems like parent’s fault. I hope she’s still alive and will be found any time soon. May God Bless her.

Avatar Image says:
  • left her and 2-year old siblings alone*(mistake correction)
Avatar Image says:

Miyamiya – you’re disappointed in Jo because she’s helping to find a child? If you think she doesn’t mater because she’s blonde and blue-eyed, then it is us who should be disappointed in your lack of compassion.

Avatar Image says:

Dont they usually stop searching so heavily and consider the child dead after this long?

Avatar Image says:

Wow… the people who kidnapped her oughta be seriously regretting doing so now..

Avatar Image says:

I agree with an extent with Miyamiya. This abduction has been blown WAY out of proportion – this kind of thing happens a lot, but their families dont get free holidays and all this media attention. It has annoyed me how much attention she has got – it’s totally unecessary. Not to mention the damage to the environment caused by releasing a set of 50 balloons into the air all over the world on the 50th day of her being missing. It’s ridiculous.

And as for what you said, Anna_Malfoy, that kind of thing happens ALL the time, it was just unfortunate that the kidnapper was around at this point. The parents were no more irresponsible than the other millions of parents that do the same thing every year.

Yeah, it’s sad, but do people like JK really need to go to the effort to help a cause where the person is probably already dead, and where it’s already a nationwide search that’s been massively over-publicised? I think not.

Avatar Image says:

Im agreeing with you Zero. This is ridiculous.

It’s just because shes cute

How about all the cases where a kid is tooken forcefully from their parents? (parents that are responsible and don’t leave their kids in a hotel room while they can go partying) How about publicizing every one of those cases?

Avatar Image says:

“Just because she’s blond haired and blue eyed she deserves special treatment?”

...

Not this again…

Avatar Image says:

If you guys meet this girl’s family, I hope you have to explain to them why it’s no big deal, really.

Avatar Image says:

I knew the whole racial issue would come up again and it’s sad but mostly it’s pathetic. What is your problem. Who cares about the race of a missing child? Who cares about the hair and eye color. What really matters here is that it’s a missing CHILD. Would you feel differently if she had brown or red hair? Or if she were african american, or Latino? No matter- it’s an innocent child. Incidents like these need a lot of publicity to raise awareness and to help find the child, not to be politically correct! It’s ridiculous! And also to those who blame the parents. Yes, it’s terrible to leave your child unattended but it’s not only the parents fault. The ones to blame are obviously the kidnappers! And the child couldnt help it either. She didn’t deserve it.

And my god, you people have no faith or compassion. If I had a missing child, I would not stop the search till the day I died. That is whats wrong with the world now, people losing their faith and hope to soon. I hope they find the little girl safe and in one peace.

Nice effort, Sheena.

But, based on my own experience with these guys, I don’t think it will make much of a difference. Despite that, I agree with you entirely.

And Robbie, I would REALLY like to see that happen, see if they have enough guts. It’s so easy being a jerk when you’re on the internet…

Avatar Image says:

I’m appauld at some peoples attitude about Jo wanting to help. Jo wants to help, because she wants to!! You have no right to judge her for it!

Avatar Image says:

Oh for crying out loud… once again, they aren’t paying her special attention because of her race or her appearance… stop being so cynical!

It is wonderful that Jo is putting so much support to help this child.

And no, they don’t stop searching for a child this long after. Last time I posted concerning Madeleine, I mentioned a girl who was kidnapped in my state, and they were looking for her for months. Because she got as much publicity as she did though, she was seen in a nearby city nine months later by an ordinary civilian, brianwashed but alive. They shouldn’t stop searching for Madeleine, and they shouldn’t assume that she’s dead. For all we know she’s alive.

And her race is thoroughly beside the point. How many times must we make that clear?

Avatar Image says:

Those who feel that JKR’s efforts in recovering this child are unecessary aren’t suffering from a lack of compassion as many of the posts prior to this one seem to insinuate. It’s just that, statistically speaking, the vast majority of kidnapping cases that get this kind of publicity and sympathy from the public are indeed those that invole WHITE FEMALES. There is no disputing that the media in the U.S. cover the cases of missing white females FAR MORE than those of missing black, asian, or hispanic people of any age lumped together.

However, rather than attack JKR for giving such importance to a missing white female, I think it would do us some good to reflect on what it is about these cases that ellicits far more rage, sympathy, and interest from the public than the cases of missing minorities. I this is also an opportune moment to reflect on the media and how/why they have continued to give lopsided coverage on cases of missing persons.

Avatar Image says:

God bless you Jo. There have been too many missing children cases all over the world lately. Shining a spotlight on one case will definitely help.

HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE >)

Avatar Image says:

There is a culture thing going on here, but it’s an American/British one. I read somewhere that about 450 children are abducted a year in America. What you need to realise is that something like this is really really rare in the UK. No more than single figures. (Yes many children go missing, but the vast majority are older and are runaways, not abductees). Our crime statistics are much lower than yours. This is a Big Deal in the UK because things like this don’t happen very often. It is national top of the agenda news if a police officer is seriously injured – shot or stabbed for example. This case has had such publicity because it’s very rare for this to happen and because her parents and their friends and family have done everything in their power to get this on the news all the time. Jo is taking such an interest in this because where it happened in Portugal is not far from where she used to live out there and where her eldest daughter was born.

Avatar Image says:

What bothers me about this is that if the people are caught they’ll probably undergo way worse punishment then the people who do it to lesser known kids. Its unfair to say that any one lost kid is more important then the next.

And whoever is calling everyone coldhearted and uncaring needs to lay off. Because they are making a much bigger deal over this one girl then the many children who go missing every day. And it is absolutely possible that more people care just because she looks a certain way. Just because you don’t care about race doesn’t mean that the majority of the world doesn’t.

What I think would be a better thing for celebrities to do, would be to send up an organization or promote an existing one to help find ALL lost children and not just this particular one.

I hope they find her!

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree with Zero and Kevin…I mean WHAT excatly is so special about this kid ??

Avatar Image says:

I agree with the whole thing on not exposing kids to things their parents don’t want them to be exposed to, but putting posters up will expose them… I’m not trying to be negative. I’m all for it, puting up posters and raising awareness, but I’m just pointing out that their reason for not putting bookmarks is not a good one. Still, I think Jo has done a lot to help; she’s great :D

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I agree that they need to focus more on the issue and not on one particular victim, though EVERY victim is important and Madeleine is too. But, I do understand your argument.

Avatar Image says:

While I sincerely do hope this child is found… I’ve always been a little, erm, skeptical about the circumstances. But that’s as far as I’m going with that one. So, hopefully they can find this little girl and find out exactly how the situation came to be.

Avatar Image says:

Personally at this stage in the game I think there is little hope for Madeleine. So of you keep asking what of the other thousands of children this happens to each day. Well that’s the point you are now thinking of them other children, for what ever this is it has raised a lot of awareness for other children.

Um… this is unnecessary?

... has she been found yet?

Then it’s still necessary.

Guys – YES, it would be great if celebrities, the media, etc. focused on ALL missing children cases, instead of just a few a year. BUT, look at the world. Why do tabloids exist? So we feel like we know people we’ve never met. Then we get outraged that whatever happened to them happened, and we get so involved because we feel like we know them. That’s why the media can only concentrated on one to two cases at once: because the public won’t get so outraged if it’s a general term, but make it specific… and people get fiesty (and judgemental, as you can see from these comments).

And guys: can people help that they’re white and female just as much as they can help if they’re male and a minority? Nope. So don’t give this helpless kid any flack for that. She doesn’t deserve it.

I hope Madeleine, as well as many other missing kids, get found, though, and I’m happy that JK has the cahoones to get involved while other rich people sit on their butts all day. Bravo!

Avatar Image says:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone taking part in the fire the grid event tomorrow 11:11 gmt??

If you don’t know what i’m talking about then go to firethegrid.com

Avatar Image says:

Im from England and i totally agree with Miyamiya. The media coverage of Madeline has been ridiculous. Why is she so special? Thousands of kids go missing every day. True, it doesnt make it any less tragic – but choosing to support the case of one family over another is completely wrong. Miyamiya is right – shes only “special” because shes a cute little blonde girl from middle class family. It doesnt matter that she was taken because her unfit parents left her alone with her siblings in their hotel room to go for a meal. Im not making out that this decision to distribute posters is completely reprehensible – obviously it isnt – but still, its essentially saying that this girl is more important than the thousands of others that go missing. I understand that media coverage has to be “personal”, but are you claiming therefore that the focus on Madeline has benefited kidnapped children in general? I would argue completely the opposite – millions of pounds have been thrown into finding this one girl and the already minimal attention paid to other similar victims has essentially disappeared. Do you honestly think that after Madeline is found (alive or dead) that a new national icon of child kidnap will spring up? No. People wont care in a month or two. Will people on average give more money to helping find lost children? Nope. So does this media attention accomplish anything other than creating a perfect vehicle for these PR stunts? I think not. Its all very sad, but blown completely out of proportion.

Avatar Image says:

This “cute and blond and white” thing HAS TO STOP. Grow up people. JK even said, and I quote, she wants to raise the profile of the MANY OTHER MISSING CHILDREN IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES.” Do you people that are saying this even read the whole post?! This argument already happened a few weeks ago. Get over it and realize JK is doing everything she can, and wants to raise the awareness for other cases as well.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I am just frustrated with the people who don’t realize the BIGGER picture of all of this.

If you don’t know what i’m talking about then go to firethegrid.com

Avatar Image says:

Did they really leave their small children in a hotel room alone to go out to eat? Thats unbelievable.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, Karen, for your post. I didn’t know that crime is so radically different in Europe than it is in the U.S.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Dude Meister. It is nice that JK wants to help find Madeleine, and I hope she is found. But her parents left 2 two year olds and a four year old alone sleeping while they went out to dinner, which would be considered unfit by many standards. How many tax dollars and man hours could have been saved and diverted to less high profile cases had her parents done the responsible thing and hired a sitter? Madeleine’s most lasting legacy will be that parents think twice about leaving their children alone.

Avatar Image says:

Elaine, they went to dinner in the hotel that they were staying at.

Avatar Image says:

Before I get booed, I’m not saying that was right, just stating the facts.

Avatar Image says:

As a mother, I am absolutley appalled at some of the comments I have just read. One missing child is important – no matter his or her race or nationality. And far from these parents’ being “unfit” – this child was taken from them when they were only about 100 metres away.

Lucky me…I am currently only about 50 metres from my own sleeping children upstairs. So I guess that makes me “fit”. And before someone (probably with no chioldren of their own) says that children cannot be taken from their homes under such circumstances…Google Cecelia Zhang.

BTW Cecelia was not blond, blue eyes and white – and her case evokes the same emotional response I have to the Madeleine case. I would think that, as a mother, JO would also be so moved.

Avatar Image says:

I want to wish the family the best of luck to find the girl that’s sooo sad but also awsome how involved jo is! I mean some famous ppl wouldn’t do anything… just donate a bunch of money Good LUCK AND GOD BLESS U!!!!!!!! :(

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, rjblack. I, too, am appalled at some of the comments here. Particularly since they are coming from apparent ignorance of the case. She was in a locked room with her parents 100 meters away. The man who took her had been identified (after the kidnapping, unfortunately) as watching / stalking the little girl. Lastly, it is believed (by some authorities) that she has been taken into Morocco. If finding this little girl means breaking a ring of people who are dealing in human slavery that targets little (usually white) girls, this is publicity well spent. They will recover more than just one child.

Yes, Flutterby, I’m participating in the Fire the Grid meditation. I’m still holding hope that compassion will anchor into the planet.

Avatar Image says:

Hey guys, I am not going to getting into my thought about her colour and the level of attention she is getting, which doesn’t really matter because we are not sure about what she is going through right now and if it is pain or suffering, I think everything should be forgotten about besides the point that she is a children and no matter how irresponible her parents are, she could be suffering, so I think it is good the JO cares and is raising awareness about this issue(and while I talking about children, every 5 seconds, a child in Africa becomes parentless because of AIDS). What I really wanted to say is that the government cannot not say a missing child or adult is dead until 7 years after they went missing and some are already giving up hope, I feel disgust to say I am connected in some way to people who are so thick to let this missing girl and millions of other children suffer and remain missing because it has been over a few months since they when missing.

Avatar Image says:

Use your brains, people. JKR has a daughter approximately the same age as Madeleine who may even resemble the missing girl somewhat…so DUH FREAKING DUH, this particular child tugs at her heartstrings. Any mother would feel the same way.

Avatar Image says:

I absolutely adore JK for this!!! I check the website formed by her parents for this little girl everyday! I simply cannot imagine what her parents are going through. I have a little girl that’s five, so this hits close to home for me.It’s so hard to get much information on her in the States. I have emailed Melissa several times in the hopes that TLC would follow JK’s lead and post a link for her here with all of the traffic it will be getting over the next few weeks, but I have received no response. I know this ofcourse is a Harry site, but we’re humans first, Potter fans second!

Avatar Image says:

In all my years of ministering nothing is more devastating to a parent than a lost or dead chikd. Thank People like JK who continues to put this child in the light that unlike Etan Pace the 5 missing young men in Newark NJ, in the late 70’s and others too numerous to mention, can bring a community of humans together to find all the chikdren. To the one commentor who explained the reasoning behind JK’s deligience. Thank You!

We must forget those persons who find the negative in everything and think on the positive.

If you believe in it pray, for the return of all the chldren.

Avatar Image says:

I want to clear up some misunderstanding regarding the parents. The Parents did not Leave the children “home alone” – they were dining downstairs or just outside the hotel and in fact the mother had been going back to the room checking on the kids every half hour. This is the same as when you are at home downstairs while the kids are sleeping upstairs. The parents were not far away. Some news media twist a picture so much its fustrating. BUT it has to be said that the parents (and they in hindsight admit this) that they were NAIVE and thought that where they were staying was as safe as being at home. We cannot crucify them for this – we should be sympathising and lending our spirit of support. Think how they feel. Think how you would feel if it was you.

Also, regards to an old argument of “why just this one? what about the millions of others dying etc”. Well there is always groups helping out in every area of need (or at least trying). So Jo’s heart is on this one and if one can be saved, it can make a big difference. Of course Jo has other areas of charity she works closely with.

Avatar Image says:

Terrible that the girl still isn’t found. Putting spoilers on the internet is bad, but not as bad as kidnapping this beautiful girl! I hope that they find Madeleine soon, alive and well! Great that Jo keeps on supporting the effort of the family to find Madeleine.

Write a Reply or Comment