Chris Rankin Talks Percy and OotP In New Interview

Jul 18, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The BBC has a new interview online with Chris Rankin, where the actor talks about the new setting for his character in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, out of the school and into the Ministry. He also discusses filming with such great actors as Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge), Michael Gambon (Professor Dumbledore) and Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort), who are actors he has “grown up respecting and wanting to be like” along with the ‘celebrity’ he has come to find himself experiencing. He goes on to say of returning to the character of Percy Weasley, after a break during the fourth film:

MB: What’s the best thing about going back to the world of Potter?

CR: It’s many things. Working on Potter is something that I’ve always enjoyed.

Playing Percy is a character that I really enjoy doing. He’s so horrible, sleazy and slimy that I really enjoy playing him, so I kind of missed playing him [Percy's character wasn't required for The Goblet Of Fire].

Also, working on Potter, has been the same set of people for the last seven years. So you’re going back to work with the people you know, the people you’re friends with.

Continuing on the subject of Order of the Phoenix, Mr. Rankin is asked about the films production and the stunt he had to perform in Dumbledore’s Office scene. Lucky UK readers will be able to view a video of Mr. Rankin’s interview on the BBC website. We should have this video online in our video galleries for all to view very shortly.

16 Responses to Chris Rankin Talks Percy and OotP In New Interview

Avatar Image says:

He was in OOTP for like 7 seconds! (Movie) I really hope he’s in some DVD deleted scenes, or extended edition scenes or something. It’ll help explain the tension when Scrimgeour comes to the Weasley’s on winter break in HBP.

Avatar Image says:

He’s a good actor and I wish they featured Percy a bit more in the films, especially with OotP. I mean, we only really saw him during Dumbledore’s escape and he didn’t even have any lines. I doubt anyone who hasn’t read the books would’ve known that that was even Percy at all and if they did, why he was in that particular position.

3rd comment!!!

Avatar Image says:

umm..when did percy perform ‘stunts’ in the ministry of magic?

Avatar Image says:

What stunts in the ministry of magic??? O_O

Avatar Image says:

Is it just me or has he gotten hotter? Glad to see Chris back in the films. He is such a nice guy.

Avatar Image says:

My mom, who’s a pretty avid HP fan, didn’t even realize Chris was in the film. I explained to her afterwards that he was in a couple of scenes standing next to the minister and that he was the one holding on to Harry and Cho in DD’s office. I have a feeling 99% of the movie going audience missed Chris’s appearance entirely. Which brings to one very valid question…

STUNTS? WHAT STUNTS?

It’s starting to sound like they filmed A LOT more stuff than was put into the movie. Preparing for an eventual release of EE DVDs, are we?

Avatar Image says:

yeah, i had no idea he was even in the movie. whoops.

Avatar Image says:

Just now watching the 10pm news here in Phoenix & they teased with “Potter fans upset because 7th book leaked online”!!!!!! Shame!

Avatar Image says:

well I hope that means there are going to be lots of deleted scenes on the dvd because, correct me if I’m wrong, Percy didn’t even have a speaking role did he???

Avatar Image says:

Rankin’s all too brief appearance in the OOTP movie is symptomatic of what was wrong with the film overall: too much cut or streamlined. Same thing with Tonks. Why even bother?

Did Jo really say that this was the best movie yet?

- SB -

Avatar Image says:

My god, that is the funniest picture ever! :D

I like that they kept him in there. It was nice to at least see the characters in there even if they werent explained too well…better then putting in some new character (ex. Nigel vs. Colin) Though if the nonreaders even recognized him Im sure they were confused…but I doubt they recognized him.

He actually looked like Percy in this one! No afro! Every time Fudge came on, I was like “Percy!” The people in the theater probably got annoyed after awhile. It made me happy. I’m one of those extremely rare few who like Percy. Haha!

Avatar Image says:

I hope something was cut out that will be in the DVD. It was never really explained what was happening with his character and I’m sure that IF some film only fans recognized him they were probably confused.

Having Percy there-besides filling a contractual obligation-was also a nod to the fans. If WB really didn’t care about the source material, they could have easily left Dawlish, Tonks and Percy out. (I LOVE that Tonks tripped over the troll foot umbrella stand)

Avatar Image says:

When did he perform a ‘stunt’ in the ministry scene? He was hardly in it at all, I was hoping they’d at least explain why he was where he was. They didn’t explain much in the movie, so I’d be confuzzled if I were just a movie-watcher. But overall, I thought the movie was the best so far out of the 5 =D

Avatar Image says:

NOT the ministry scene, the scene in DD’s office with the ministry – when Dumbledore does his vanishing act.

HA! I barely seen him!