Muggles Leak “Deathly Hallows” Online, Magical World Resisting

114

Jul 18, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

In efforts by what surely must be the worst sort of Muggles, we at TLC are sad to report that there has been an attempted leak of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that is now online. As the Associated Press is reporting, various bit torrent and other sites have purported copies, scans and the like of what may be a copy of book seven. Publishers are taking this quite seriously as Scholastic has started started court proceedings on several sites in order to stop these spoilers from appearing online.

Fans (both Magical and Muggles alike) are owling in efforts to stop the leaks, and this is helping in the process to keep the book secret until the release in a few short days. As quoted in press reports, Kyle Good of Scholastic says that:

“A lot or our tips about spoilers are coming from fans,” Good says. “There’s a groundswell from fans who find these links and send them to us, saying, `I’m not going to look at this, but somebody told me about it.’”

“I just hope they find these people and punish them accordingly,” said Leaky Cauldron Web master Melissa Anelli. “This is exceedingly wrong and mean-spirited. Let people enjoy their book, for Pete’s sake.”

Neil Blair, an attorney for UK Potter publishers Bloomsbury and J.K. Rowling, is cited by the Times newspaper (in a spoilerish article, alas) as he:

“confirmed today that some genuine material from the seventh Harry Potter book had been posted on the internet – but said that there was also much bogus content circulating.

The Times article (again containing spoilers we will not be posting) says:

A spokeswoman for Bloomsbury, the book’s UK publisher, would not confirm or deny today that the leaked version was the real thing, but said that “vast quantities” of material purporting to be the book were circulating.

“People are being very clever putting stuff online. There are many different versions and it’s easy to use Photoshop [photo editing software] to make something look very real. We’re asking people not to spoil the book for fans,” she said. “We’re getting phone calls from people in tears saying: ‘I don’t want to find out what happens.’”

A spokesman for Scholastic, the book’s US publisher, said: “There’s so much out there that is confusing for fans. Our lawyers are trying to keep down the amount of spoiler traffic and clear it from places where fans might be reading.”

As a reminder, this website will NOT be posting spoilers. Constant vigilance everyone!

36 Responses to Muggles Leak “Deathly Hallows” Online, Magical World Resisting

Avatar Image says:

Stop the leaks! Stop the spoilers!

Avatar Image says:

Bah! I mean, I guess I knew this would probably happen, but it still angers me. And now I am officially afraid to go anywhere on the internet besides Leaky! So thanks Leaky for keeping a safehaven for the fans!

Avatar Image says:

ugh, people. i hate spoilers and everything. Can’t people just wait?! It’s not that far away! It’s so much better to just wait until the book comes out so that it’s a total surprise when you read it. It makes the book better. some people are pathetic. aghh. I’ve seen so many stupid rumors. i hate it. i have to stay away from the computer to make sure i don’t read anything that will spoil it all. it’s very annoying. bah.

Avatar Image says:

People are so retarded. We should just shut down the whole internet. I ditto what Melissa said. We’ve been waiting for this for so long, let us enjoy it. I hope the Leaky people don’t get spoiled in their efforts to keep us safe. Thanks for everything Leaky. How are people getting the book if the spoilers are real? I hope Scholastic takes them down and I can’t wait to hear what happens to them. Woot! 1st post!?

Avatar Image says:

I just hope and pray that the epilogue that is going around the internet is false. It is really bad and I hate it. If it is real I going to be very mad.

Avatar Image says:

As a fact I saw that in a different board last night and I sent an email to Scholastic with the links and everything, I also posted on the board warning the others what was happening and to be careful because the spoilers were out there.

I HATE SPOILERS!

And this morning I grab a newspaper which mentions the leak on the cover page and I go to read the article and the damn article spoiled me, as soon as I read two words of that damn spoiler I had to close my eyes and close the newspaper!!! don’t they have any kind of decency and respect towards the fans???

People please avoid all kind of tv news, online reports, newspapers, websites (apart from tlc of course) because there are big chances that they can spoil you.

Why can’t the spoilers go to hell!!!!

I understand there’s people who don’t like HP, but what’s the fun in ruining the last book for all of us???

Avatar Image says:

ACK! I’m so terrified of being spoiled I’ve decided that starting Friday evening, no work, no phone, internet, no sleeping until I’ve finished the book. Wednesday is far too early for me to head underground!

Avatar Image says:

Posting who lives, who dies, who gets married and so on is rather nasty, I couldn’t agree more.

But since this spring, I’ve been dreaming that somebody would steal the book and send the .txt/.doc file to all e-mail addresses – say, on gmail, hotmail, yahoo. And I would open my inbox and see “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” right here, without waiting, for free. (I will still spend money on a book, but my eyes hurt when I read from paper; it’s awfully inconvenient).

I dreamt about it. And now somebody is actually doing it – not posting spoilers, but posting the entire book for download. Though, of course, it’s much easier to steal the book than to write the book.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, just FYI, JKR has updated her website with info regarding the supposed “spoilers.” She’s rather vague, but I took it as an encouraging bit of feedback.

Avatar Image says:

Oh no, oh no. The moment I’ve been terrified of all summer is here. Oh gosh, I wonder if it’s possible not to be spoiled between now and the release. I should go hide in a hole now, or something. :(

Avatar Image says:

I’m just going to say that the book HAS indeed been leaked. While there are spoilers floating about, I wouldn’t trust any of them unless you are seriously reading the book that has been “zipped.” Those are the only spoilers you should take seriously, and you’d have to be purposefully looking for the book in order to be spoiled.

Avatar Image says:

Haha! Im one of those people who emailed them with a link.

Honestly, at this point, Ive seen so many conflicting ‘spoilers’ that it doesnt even bother me anymore. Now it just feels as if Im reading theories in the forums. They only ever say who MIGHT die and we’ve all been speculating about that for years now.

And I dont believe the epilogue for a second. Its too short and doesnt encompass enough characters.

Avatar Image says:

I was annoyed enough when the Guardian printed apparently the first sentence of the book as a page header! I really hope I don’t come across the epilogue by accident. I’m going to have to avoid all papers tomorrow.

Avatar Image says:

It is at once both appalling and strangely fascinating to see these goings-on…

Fascists! Hitler jungen! Beware the children!!!

Twit…

Avatar Image says:

I can’t pretend I didn’t expect this, what with this being the last one and all. Well, only 2 and a half more days … I’m on vacation from work and my daughter is with her mother for the week. I guess I can lock myself in my bedroom with my fingers in my ears until Saturday.

Avatar Image says:

I emailed both TLC and mugglenet early Tuesday morning when I first came across the news of these links on torrent sites. For those who want some background on what took place: someone photographed every page starting with the inside flap of what appears to be a library binding (plastic cover on the dusk jacket) American edition of the Deathly Hallows. Many torrent sites deleted the offending torrent when informed of its presence but the file still got out and there are trackers still carrying it. It also migrated to other filesharing networks and some portions were/are posted on image sharing sites. Given the quality of the photos it would be impossible to actually read the book in this leaked form but that hasn’t stopped people from jumping to the end and posting spoilers. I would advise all fans to be VERY SELECTIVE and CAREFUL when on the internet for the next two days. Don’t read mainstream news articles on the leaks, don’t frequent news aggregator sites (ie digg, reddit), and don’t follow suspicious links.

Avatar Image says:

Oh good, Leaky wasn’t working for me and so I couldn’t find out if these leaks were real or not. This makes me really upset. Why can’t people just let us wait for the book? Pretty soon I might be one of those people who are in tears. Well, no more internet for me. I was going to wait to shut down my activities until Friday but I think I’ll go into lockdown mode right now.

Avatar Image says:

I heartily approve of Leaky’s no-spoiler policy and agree that posting DH spoilers around the internet is a despicable practice. However, I must protest the muggle-baiting headline of this article. Demonizing muggles and pitting them against magical folk at a time when, more than ever before, we need to pull together. Shame on you, Leaky! Can’t we all just get along?

Avatar Image says:

Thank you for not allowing spoilers. We can all find out in just 3 days what happens.

Avatar Image says:

I work for the post office and at the beginning of the week we were told the books would be comming but that we couldn’t touch them till saturday for delivery. I assure you the persons working for the post office that delivered them ahead of time will get fired for it.

Avatar Image says:

omg i am soooo scared. once one preson finds out, it spreads and eventually i hear it!!! i had books 5 AND six deaths spoiled before i read them!! i sooo wanna have friday off school, but since im having monday off to read, i cant!!! if i get spoiled i will have to scream and ball my eyes out, especially coming sooo far without finding out any details. PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!

Avatar Image says:

First of all: Who on Earth has the time to sit there and photocopy every single page of a book? I mean, honestly? The fact that they’re doing that, and that they’re trying to spoil a very fun event for a lot of fans, just shows how pathetic they really are. I say hand them over to Umbridge, and, when she’s finished with them, hand them to Voldemort. (Maybe we should pass Umbridge over to Voldemort, too, for good measure…)

Second of all: A HUGE thanks to the whole staff at Leaky. You guys rock. Seriously. Warning us about the spoilers, and then even warning us about the articles ABOUT the spoilers that contain spoilers. You guys are working very hard to make sure that midnight on the 21st is fun for the most amount of people. You’d all get Order of Merlins, First Class, if they were real.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t believe any of those spoilers. A couple of them are apparently the real thing, but the big one, the one where someone put photos of the whole book online, is definitely a fake. I’ve come across a couple of chapters (including the incredibly weak epilogue) and they’re simply not Jo’s style. If this were real, Deathly Hallows would be the first Harry Potter book I wouldn’t finish because it bored me.

Avatar Image says:

As for DeepDiscount & Levy they’re about to have a major encounter with the Muggle equivalent of dementor’s (A.K.A. lawyers). (COMMENTARY: Think about it, if you’ve ever been in the presence of a lawyer doesn’t it feel like all the joy has been sucked out of the room and as if you’ll never be happy again). By the time Scholastic’s lawyers get through with these guys a dementor’s kiss is going to feel like a peck on the cheek by Hermione. I can just see the lawyers getting them to bend over and taking a Firebolt and jamming it up their [THE REMAINDER OF THIS RATHER DESCRIPTIVE POSTING HAS BEEN DEEMED INAPPROPRIATE FOR A FAMILY ORIENTED WEBSITE SUCH AS TLC].

Anyway, everybody try and hold on, only 48 more hours.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you leaky for keeping them of the site… You realy can not look anywhere nowadays… Its just everywere. News sites, weather ingo sites (in comments I swear) I really don’t want to be spoiled like so many of us… So THANK YOU leaky staff. Because you are working so hard against spoilers here you guys have probably been spoiled a long time ago… So really thank you!!!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe this is happening!! Who decided to say “Oh yeah.. us HP fans REALLY want to see the book early… so post some spoilers for us”... Grr! considers shutting herself in her room and cutting the cable wire to her own T.V.

Thanks TLC for working hard to keep this spoiler free. Along with all of the other HP website who are doing the same. Keep up the wonderful work. Just 1 more day…. and some odd hours. WE CAN DO IT GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the double post… it wasn’t going through.

Anyways…. I’ve just sent scholastic an email telling them to keep up the good work with busting the spoiling people.

Avatar Image says:

Nice one leaky.Only a few more days nows.We can do it! The UK press are ok,but I’m scared if I havn’t finished the book by Sunday (when I’m going to see ootp) I might get spoiled like that prat who wrote it on a bridge near the motorway or something…I’ve seen a few spoilers,especially one which better not be true :( My TV is fixed on music channels and I’m avoiding youtube comments,as well as facebook and mugglenet,where I’ve been spoiled twice.Anyway,keep up the good work guys!!

Avatar Image says:

haha all Potter fans across the world should just go and see OotP again millions of times or re-read the other 6 books while we wait for Friday night. That way, we won’t be online and it will be more difficult for the story to be ruined. Or we could were blindfolds and earplugs…

Okay I’m rambling lol. Siriusly though, it’s just rude that people ruin the books. That’d be like telling a mad football fan the result of a big football game before they get to sit down and watch it. Or (as Jo said) telling someone that they have a suprise in the next room, and it’s a bike.

Right, I’ll shut up now xD

Avatar Image says:

”” Avoid the New York Times website for the next few days. They have obtained an unauthorized copy of the book from a NY bookseller and have posted a review with major spoilers online.”“

Yup, mugglenet have linked that one, with a “contain major spoilers, don’t read unless you’ve already been spoilled” warning.

A French website made mention of spoilers in some newspapers too. In that kind of situation, reading fast can be a curse. lol ! I remember someone putting HBP’s chapters title on PWO comments, my eyes read “white thumb” faster than I could scroll up.

For once, I’m glad my website isn’t that well know, hopefully no one will post spoilers there.

Avatar Image says:

I think that it is so mean to ruin the magic of the one minute past midnight realease of a Harry Potter book. I love watching the joy and anticipation of everyone finally taking the latest book in their hands. There is nothing like the first read of a book from an author you enjoy. Unfortunately there will always be muggle dementors who just can’t stand seeing happiness. Spoilers are dementors in disguise!

Avatar Image says:

I think the NY Times fell for the fake version that’s been distributed through BitTorrent and so on. Let’s keep an eye on this and let them not forget their blunder in a hurry when we can finally prove it in 2 days time.

Avatar Image says:

Quote:Why is it so evil? It would be if people were having spoilers forced upon them but you’re not going to find them unless you go looking for them and what’s so very wrong with that? Posted by loopy on July 19, 2007 @ 04:06 AM

It is evil because in some cases the spoilers are included in a newspaper article (for example, as happened in my country) and they don’t tell you beforehand that there are spoilers included. So, with the movie and the new book coming you are obviously willing to read any article and watch every program that’s on regardng HP and when you bump with the spoilers is not nice at all. That’s what happened to me yesterday at the office, I was reading an article on HP (and yes, reading fast is a curse when it comes to this) and they could’ve been talking about butterbeer and snitches, when suddenly they go and rub ‘these characters will die’. I managed to read two and closed my eyes avoiding the rest, but it’s not nice and it’s a lack of respect.

Besides there’s a lot of people that is not a fan of HP and when they managed to find the spoilers, they just go and post them everywhere they can so we can have our party ruined. So yes it is a big deal.

Also it’s a lack of respect towards the author and everybody involved in the process of launching the book.

I loved Darthvoldemort comment regarding Dementors and Lawyers, you’re so right!

Avoid tv, magazines, forums (apart from TLC and associates), newspapers, everything you can if you dont want to be spoiled.

I say let’s get these muggles and send them as a truce present to the Dark Lord and the Death Eaters… and you know, I wouldn’t mind attending the Cruciatus sessions they’ll put them through. Mmh I should start selling tickets!

Write a Reply or Comment