Dan Radcliffe Talks “Deathly Hallows” and Fate of Harry Potter

274

Jul 27, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

In the wake of the news (see below) that actor Dan Radcliffe knew in advance some of the details involving the fate of Harry Potter, Entertainment Weekly magazine has a new interview online conducted with Dan, who speaks about his thoughts reading “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” and more. Dan gives some information about how he read the last installment of the book, stating (no spoilers):

I actually wrote, in the front of my book, the exact time of me starting to read it. I think it was 9:30 at night on the 22nd of July, which was the day before my [18th] birthday. I read two chapters on that day, which wasn’t very much at all, of course. About page 30, I got to. Then I actually didn’t get to read [any of] it again for another couple of days. I started again on the 24th and 25th, and over those two days or so, I seemed to completely demolish it. I read 350 pages in one day at one point.

The rest of the interview contains Dan Radcliffe’s thoughts on the events of the book, and the fate of the character he portrays in the film. Please note: This interview contains MANY SPOILERS and you are cautioned, however those wishing to read the entire interview may do so via this link to the EW website.

A reminder as well, as we first told you this morning, Entertainment Weekly magazine has a special collector’s issue dedicated to Harry Potter featuring 36 pages on the magical world created by J.K. Rowling, and that magazine is now available on newsstands.

Thanks to Entertainment Weekly!

55 Responses to Dan Radcliffe Talks “Deathly Hallows” and Fate of Harry Potter

Avatar Image says:

Wow…and daniel does not said anything.

Avatar Image says:

Dan sounds like he really really loved it! As did I of course! Still cant get over what Jo actually told him before the release though!! I’d have burst having information like that-she confused him more than answered him!!

Ill not spoil-but the same death hit me as hard as it seems to have hit Daniel!

Oh and I too cant wait to see the scenes he mentions on screen! He will no doubt do them fantastic justice!

only about 3 years until we see it!!

Avatar Image says:

I think we all wanted to know more about Dumbledore, and we did. I’m very glad that Dan showed that he sort of liked the fact that Dumbldore’s past was dark. I did the exact same thing when I ended it, and of course, he’s completely right to say that it doesn’t leave you quickly.

Can’t wait to see the Death scene!!

R.I.P Dobby, Hedwig, Lupin, Tonks, Mad-Eye, Fred, and Colin

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful read that was! I am really looking forward to seeing how Dan does with the acting for Movie 7. Actually I am looking forward to seeing how everyone does seeing how there is so much actions and emotions. Oh boy it is going to be good! I just know it!

Avatar Image says:

Sweet. Dan’s a Sigur Ros fan. Love those guys.

I hope the script for Deathly Hallows will be at least half as good as the book. Man, that movie is going to be INSANE. Sadly, I doubt Dobby will be in the film. We haven’t seen him since the second movie, so the likelihood that he is brought back for the 7th just to be killed off isn’t likely. Maybe now they’ll put him in the 6th film? hmm.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Dan! I’m glad I’m not the only who keep reminding people that JK had always intended Harry to NOT die, cause of that “triumphant gleam” thing ever since GoF. So JK always intended it to be that way. SO, she never chickened out in killing Harry casue she never planned on killing him.

ahem Ranting over. Just an overload of DH discussions.

God I <3 him.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad he likes it, and I hope his enthusiasm is catching :D

Avatar Image says:

OH, I was waiting for one of the trio to talk about the book. I can’t wait to hear from Emma and Rupert. I can’t wait to see Dan in the movie as Harry is walking to his death

Avatar Image says:

It is wonderful to be able to talk with everyone again. I have been feeling very lonely in my sorrows.

Dan is such a lovely young man. I’am also impressed that he can read as voraciously and single-mindedly as I can. (I finished DH in 14 hours with a couple of breaks for food and doing laundry.)

Jo didn’t really tell him the ending either. He had said several times that he wanted to do a death scene. She just told him he would get his wish. (She took him to dinner. How fun!)

Avatar Image says:

where is the link? i cant find it please help

Avatar Image says:

The book was awesome, and I’m glad that Dan thinks so. btw, this film will have to be at least 3 hours long. Nearly everything in it is relevant to the plot, and 2 hours and 18 minutes won’t cut it. I, like some of you, have a feeling that Dobby will be cut. But then again, Harry has to be at the Malfoy Manor to steal Draco’s wand, so how will they escape without Dobby. It’s not like they can replace him with Kreacher.

The scenes I’m most excited for are the Death Eater chase when Harry is being escorted from Privet Drive, the Gringotts scene, Godric’s Hollow, all things relating to Dumbledore, and of course, the Battle of Hogwarts.

This book had a lot of sad deaths (like Dobby, Moody, Lupin, Tonks, and Fred). Although I wasn’t very fond of the character, even Colin Creevey’s death was sad. That said, good riddance to Voldy, Bellatrix, and other baddies that died.

btw, am I the only one who laughed when Crabbe died? :) Just wondering.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t laugh, but I did think that Jamie Waylett (who plays Crabbe) would leave the films with a bang. Hope they don’t change that scene and have just Draco in there. Since that scene is how they get another of the hrocruxes, I’m pretty sure it won’t get cut (they almost never cut the action scenes, in fact. They just tend to overdo them).

Avatar Image says:

I can’t find the picture of Daniel Radcliffe “reading” Deathly Hallows. Anyone else seen it and can point to it. I wasn’t up to wading through page after page of Daniel Radcliffe nude to find it.

Avatar Image says:

A scene that would be relatively short, but awesome: Pansy “Judas” Parkinson pointing out Harry, and the Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs, and Ravenclaws standing up for him. It’s like the great scene in “The Right Stuff” when Lyndon B. Johnson tries to fire John Glenn, and the other six astronauts stand in front of him.

Avatar Image says:

Great interview. I was wondering what Dan thought of the book. Now if we could only get Rupert, Emma, and others’ views. The Phelps twins? Matt Lewis? Jason Isaacs? Alan Rickman? Everybody’s got some good stuff to look forward to there.

Dana,

Try Danradcliffe.com They have the picture. It was just posted today, I think.

Maybe I’m getting sentimental, or just still sniffly over DH, but I love that boy. (OK, maybe I’ve just heard too much about Lindsey Lohan too.) We are really lucky that we have someone playing Harry who cares about him as much as we do, who is bright and intelligent as well.

Avatar Image says:

I’m getting the feeling that Dan didn’t expect R/hr at the end. But of course, he has to head off the press who like to see Harry with Emma so there, he states that he likes the epilogue. I personally think that epilogue is crappy but the book is good so I just decided to rip off that part.

Anyway, Dan would make a great secret keeper wouldn’t he?

Avatar Image says:

I really want to know Dan’s reaction with the Harry&Hermione kiss hehe.

Avatar Image says:

Boy, is that true! Dan got it right, I also awkwardly set my book down in the end and tried to go on with my life. He’s right, it doesnt leave you very easily. Well said Dan!

I cant wait for movie 7, the walk to his death is going to make me cry. I cried at that part, I felt ill!

Avatar Image says:

I’m i the only person that feels, “what’s left”, where do we go from here. I look foward to what is gonna happen in the next book only to remember thats it. It was great while it lasted and for sure the movies do it no justice despite the great actors such as daniel. I NO LONGER HAVE THE WHAT NEXT VIBE. Although from the “nineteen years later”, I hope that there can be some sort of spin-off seeing how they have children and harry’s godson teddy has lost his parents as harry did…

Avatar Image says:

Great article praising the trio here:

www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/07/28/do2805.xml

Yeah, you go, Dan! To the person who wanted to see the pic of Dan “reading” the book, it was in one of those cricket pictures -just google Dan’s name. He was signing someone’s book, like the article says.

Avatar Image says:

it sounds like he enjoyed it. im glad.

cant wait to see this one as a film… its goin to be so interesting!

<<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

And that is why I love Daniel as Harry.

Avatar Image says:

What a great interview, I agree with all the comments aboout Dan and what a great secret keeper he is/would be. The only thing that I would like to point out was about Dumbledore. Steve Daly says that he used Snape pretty ruthlessly and that he was darker than we imagined. I think it should be pointed out that this was when Dumbledore was younger and all of the tragedy about his family. What wasn’t mentioned (why I don’t know) is that Dumbledore Completely changed! He spent the entire rest of his life being the Dumbledore we knew and loved, but with more responsibilites. Don’t forget he was not just a teacher and defender of us Muggles, but he was the head of the Order of the Phoenix (the general). During war time hard decisions need to be made. Remember in the sorceror’s stone when Ron sacrifices himself during the chess game and he says “do you want to stop snape from getting the stone?” Well the question should be asked “Do you want to end Voldermort’s reign of terror once and for all? Of course and Dumbledore did what was necessary to help bring that about. I still love Dumbledore flaws and all! I also agree with everyone that they had better do an excellent job on the movie. It needs to be as long as it needs to be and of course Dobby has to be in it! I hope we don’t have to wait too long for the encyclopedia!

Avatar Image says:

I love Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. J.k.Rowling should not stop writing. But i guess u get Brainwaves Like Harry Potter only once a bloom.

Avatar Image says:

Hopefully they won’t cut corners for the 6th movie and will include vital stuff set up for the final movie. We need brief scenes with Kreacher,Dobby, the locket and diadem.

Avatar Image says:

That’s a great article. I’m pleased we heard from one of the cast so soon. He does sound like he enjoyed it.

It’s a really awesome book, imo better than all the others combined. I hope the film does it justice and it’s hard to think what they could cut out- though I made a stab at it on the Leaky thread. It’s going to have to be 3 hours long!

I hope they don’t cut Dobby. I don’t see how they can because he is crucial to their escape. Like Dan I was also devastated by that scene.

And Dan will get to do an awesome ‘death’ scene after all. I can’t think of a better scene than that. And when I was reading King’s Cross I couldn’t help but think “hmm… well Dan’s had practice at nudity” :D.

Godric’s Hollow graveyard scene is another good emotional one I think. My three most emotional scenes were Dobby, Godric’s Hollow graveyard and Harry’s ‘death’.

Also the ROR fiendfyr scene will be fantastic. I can’t see how they can cut that. Dumblemort- I didn’t laugh at Crabbe but I did react in a similar way to Ron. Did anyone else think that Draco kind of redeemed himself by trying to save Goyle instead of thinking only of himself? I’m glad Harry rescued him.

darlene- there’s always the encyclopedia. I can’t wait to hear more about everyone in that world. I hope she includes lots of funny anecdotes about nutty wizard ancestors! I was also thinking it would be nice for another comic relief book; I wouldn’t be surprised if JK had actually made up some of the tales of Beedle the Bard- like Babbitty Rabbitty and the Cackling Stump. She could start a whole new fairy tale tradition to add to the Grimm and Hans Andersen! :D

Avatar Image says:

What a fantastic interview! Katarina, I agree, we are really lucky to have a boy like Dan playing Harry. It’s great to see he is just one of us, devouring the book and feeling so devasted because it’s the last one. He is very passionated about these books and movies and really cares about portraying well the character.

bookworm, Daniel has always been a R/Hr shipper, also I remember he congrantulated Melissa for the interview Emerson and her did with Jo when HBP was published, he loved that interview, so he knew what Jo said about them. What I don’t think he was expecting is the Harry-Riddle kiss with Hermione-Riddle. I can not wait to see that in the last movie! I’m a H/G and R/Hr shipper, but I think Daniel and Emma have great on-screen chemistry, and I wonder if this wasn’t a wink from Jo to them hehe. ;)

anne, that’s so true, I haven’t realized about the nudity. Isn’t it ironical? All that fuss some stupid people did saying that Dan shouldn’t do nudity because he plays Harry Potter. I can’t wait to see their hypocritical faces when Harry himself will be nude in a HP movie! I love the irony life has sometimes. Of course, Dan won’t have any problem. It’s great he is becoming such a great actor, doing things outside HP helps the HP movies, but some people are so narrow minded they don’t understand this.

Avatar Image says:

Oooh, I just remembered, Dan will be filming that Kings Cross scene without glasses too! So we will at least get to see his beautiful eyes up close for a bit!

Avatar Image says:

i cant wait to see the harry riddle and hermione-riddle scene-dan and emma s reactions will be great—i hope there will soon be an interview of the trio!!! dan is just great—yeah the nude harry…funny..isn t it ironical?!

Avatar Image says:

That was a really nice read! I love the way he describes his emotions when reading the book. I felt muh the same when I finished it. I’m so happy to hear Dan’s level of reflection about these books, it’ll mean a lot in the next two films.

By the way Sigur Ros are Islandic, so Nordic, but not Scandinavien ;)

Avatar Image says:

You are right radcakesfan, and in a way, seeing Harry without his glasses is like seeing him nude, Jo is a genius. I think Jo wrote that chapter so well, all the book really, but those chapters, from the moment Harry walk into the forest to the moment he returns to the Great Hall are amazing. I’m not surprised Jo cried so much while writting that chapter. And when Harry is digging Dobby’s grave is one of my favorite moments in all these books too, it’s very very emotional. I never thought I would miss an elf so much. I hope they include it in the movie.

Do you think they will include the epilogue in the movie? And if they include it, how do you think they are going to play the characters? will they cast other actors to play the older characters or will they put make up in them to make them look old?

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful to read Dan’s thoughts and reactions to the book.And I so agree with his words on taking it in,on so many levels. Dooby ,upset me SO MUCH as well.

Becky, I agree, as Dumbledore said to Harry himself. “It is the choices we make , ultimately ,that make us who we are”

It was fasinating to see Dumbledore also had to make choices and chose the correct one.Which shows Voldemort could have as well ,but out of pride,arrogance and greed chose wrongly. This story is so about the Holy Grail.

Avatar Image says:

It constantly amazes me how much they lucked out by having Dan and Co. be smart, well spoken adults. I mean, they were just hiring 10-11 year olds – they could’ve all turned into total jerks (especially with the fame level) Anyways, good review by Dan and lovely to hear his opinion.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to hear what evanna thought. I hope she just tells dan, sorry but we sort of knew about the triumph for a while. I was really impessed, though. I thought he would take longer to read it.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so glad Daniel loved it…I felt the same way, it doesn’t let go. easily….He is gonna ROCK in that movie!!!! I sure have enjoyed watching those kids grow up….bright, level…great kids…I’ve already read thru a 2nd time….whew!!! Thanks, JO!!!

Avatar Image says:

btw….My first read was 11 1/2 hours….ate while reading…..took potty breaks, tho..lol

Avatar Image says:

well I took about 29.5 hours; 17.5 one day, 12 the next, with a four hour sleep in between! But that’s because I like to take in every single word and re-read passages as I go along.

I’ve re-read some passages a few times since! I can’t seem to get enough of it. :D

Avatar Image says:

I love Deathly Hallows and like Dan, I kept thinking about it after I closed the last page. It makes you think. It has lots of action but also some very powerful emotional moments.It’s like a combination of GOF and OotP. It’s now my favorite book in the series. And even though there are some cheesy scenes and some plot holes in it, I’d rate it an 8 out of stars. Heck, I’d give it a 9 if it weren’t for that cheesy epilogue. IMO, it’s quite juvenile considering that Harry is approaching middle age by this time. JKR could have written about their careers and the fate of the wizarding world but no, she has to satisfy the shippers and TEll who ended up with whom and enumerated their kids. sigh…

BTW, I got the feeling that Dan was a H/luna shipper and maybe that’s why he said that some people do not like the ending (epilogue).

Avatar Image says:

The only thing I found cheesy about the epilogue was the name “Albus SEVERUS Potter.” I have no problem with Albus Potter, or even just Severus Potter, but both of them together is horrible. I don’t even know why Harry wanted to name a child after Snape, anyway. Sure, Snape was brave and did all he could to protect Harry, but that was only because he loved Lily. Ah well.

I really don’t get why some people don’t like the epilogue. One reason might be because some of them are H/Hr shippers. I think it’s incredibly stupid to dislike it because it doesn’t tell you EVERYTHING. I mean, if it told you everything, then the series would really be over, and there would be nothing left to wonder about. JKR is making an encyclopedia that will tell us nearly everything that we want to know. Seriously, I’m so sick of hearing, “I hate the epilogue because it doesn’t tell you what happens to Luna,” or whatever. But if you really don’t like the epilogue (not because of the missing details or anything, but if you really don’t like it), then that’s fine.

Avatar Image says:

I find the epilogue cheesy not because I am an H/Hr shipper but because the entire book would have been twice better if it ended with the last chapter. The epilogue seems just written for fans, a contrived, tacked on attempt which set up more questions instead of ending the series conclusively. Didn’t mention if they went back to school, their careers, the fate of the wizarding community – no just satisfying the shippers which was really tacky, IMO. Or maybe JKR was just smart enough to set us up for another HP book.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, Katarina, I found the picture. I tried Googling for it, but I just couldn’t find it.

Avatar Image says:

“The epilogue seems just written for fans”

Or, you know, it was written for the author herself, and for her main character, Harry? Because she wanted him to have a happy ending after all he went through. But it could never be that, right? The epilogue was written when JKR had only just begun the series. She always wanted him to have a happy ending, because it’s what she wanted.. That’s got nothing to do wuth the fans. Take off your tin hat.

“Didn’t mention if they went back to school, their careers, the fate of the wizarding community”

I agree with Luna.

Avatar Image says:

well-done Dan and the others for not giving in to the least of spoilers! i remember that, for Book 7, my plainest most fervent wish was that the Trio survive. i’ll try my darnest to swallow anything else, but just let the bestfriends live! and now it turns out even more than i have hoped for! ofcourse i’m crying no end at the sacrifices of those we have lost. but when i look at the bigger picture the story is exactly the way it should be. my eternal thanks to Jo for adding color and happiness in my life thru Harry Potter! =)

Avatar Image says:

Lacey, we didn’t really know what that glance of triumph meant. People had teories, but we didn’t really knew what it meant before reading this book. ;)

I think the purpose of the epilogue is to show that Harry has what he has always wanted, the only thing he has always wished: a happy family. Like Dan, I liked it too, but I’m happy he understands the fandom so he knows some people don’t agree. :)

Avatar Image says:

“Hence why she’s writing an encyclopedia. Honestly, the whining over the epilogue is so childish. It’s called an epilogue for a reason… no one forced you to turn the page.”

The encyclopedia is a separate entity from the books. Now, THAT is obviously for the fans who want to know the midle name of Dean’s great great grandfather or if LUna and Neville hooked up. But The epilogue is part of the HP series and I just dont think that it is a fitting ending to the saga. If indeed JKR wrote it before she even started the first book, then she should have changed it a bit anf gave it a more mature atmosphere just as the series has matured and grown darker. I expected an epilogue like the LotR trilogy but this one seems juvenile. That has always been my problem with HBP.It turned the series into a romance. Where I expected an epic battle, she gave me flirtations from just about everybody.I expected a more profound epilogue, something that would end in a bang not just a syrupy happy ending and how many kids they have. maybe that’s what Dan meant when he said it odesn’t leave you in a hurry. That’s what “forced” me to turn the last page cause I wanted more. There are still plot holes waiting resolution.

P.S. And don’t kid yourself about JKR not writing for the fans. THe reaction of the fans are foremost on any writers’ mind.

Avatar Image says:

jasmine, if JKR was writing for the fans, she wouldn’t have killed Sirius or Dumbledore, or several characters in DH for that matter. She clearly stated in the NBC interviews that she has to think only about her writing, instead of what fans want to happen. Sure, JKR wants the fans to be pleased, but don’t kid yourself saying that she’s writing for the fans.

Avatar Image says:

But the deaths of Dumbledore and Sirius are important for the denoument of the story. Even I am always complaining understand that. I may have cried at the waste of their lives but deaths like theirs are actually common in epic adventures. The hero cannot move on and be truly be heroic until all his supports are taken away from him. JKR only deviated with the inclusion of Hermione and Ron in Harry’s final journey. When I said she wrote for fans, I meant what would appeal to fans. Even these deaths aded to the hype over the books. Don’t underestimate Jo. She knows more about marketing strategy than 20 writers put together.

Avatar Image says:

jasmine, naturally, anything JKR writes would appeal to fans. Just about everything she’s written has appealed to me. But the deaths of Sirius and Dumbledore haven’t appealed to all fans. JKR didn’t write these death to appeal to fans, she wrote them because they were necessary to the story. She had been approached several times by fans prior to these deaths, some of which said, “please don’t kill Sirius.” JKR had already been planning to kill him, and she didn’t change her mind.

Avatar Image says:

Dumblemort, I just read the transcript of Jo’s latest interview and that must have been your basis for saying that she didn’t write it for the fans. lol. I’m just a little bit of a skeptic when it comes to interviews like that. I keep remembering that she she gave very young kids as an example of fans who won’t like the deaths in the book. But whatever… We were talking about the epilogue and I still say it’s a little tacky. It seemed to be written for a certain group of people (shippers)and It just didn’t appeal to me who expected something more…profound. It would appeal to the shippers and those who expected happy endings but not me. If you can’t take that criticism, so be it.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, for Dobby’s sake. can we just accept that JKR only has mediocre writing skills? Big deal, we still love the HP books. NO need to quarrel about its writing style and hope that it will equal the LOTR series. The fanatic HP book fans will defend the HP books to the death and no sense losing your cool about it.

BTW, it’s decent of Dan not to say “I told you so” to the fanatic book fans who viciously attacked him when he predicted that Harry would die. Well, Dan was vindicated. Harry was the horcrux and he did die…and lived again to have a happy ending in the epilogue. I too find that epilogue syrupy but hey, it’s not my book. I would have preferred it if Harry died or his sidekicks died, but hey, did I mention it’s not my book?

Avatar Image says:

lol, Jasmine. If you don’t like the epilogue, then it’s fine. You were right about JO’s latest interview being the basis of my statement. I’m not saying it was perfect, but I really liked the epilogue. It’s good to see Harry living the happy life. btw, Harry didn’t really die, chelsea. He was knocked unconscious, it was the Voldy-part of his soul that died.

Avatar Image says:

Harry was knocked unconscious? Gee, what a bald way of putting it. I glossed over many of the cheesy moments of the book and that must be one of them. Kinda like I didn’t know that Neville used the Gryffindor sword to kill Nagini. lol. Of course, Harry didn’t really die.But I would like to think that for a moment, he really did die, or a part of him died (part occupied by Voldemort)or I’d chalk it up again as one of the weak points of the book. But whatever…

Write a Reply or Comment