Jul 27, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The second part of a new interview with author J.K. Rowling was broadcast this morning on NBC‘s the “Today Show.” In this installment, Jo is reflective on how her life has changed with the success of the novels, answering what she would see if she looked in the Mirror of Erised, how she feels about the films, and her excitement over the new theme park. Jo also reveals some fascinating new details about the beloved books, most significantly revealing the much discussed last sentence of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” which was supposed to have ended with the word “scar.” Jo had stated shortly before the release of book seven that this was no longer the case, but many fans will be delighted to learn (after all these years and countless speculation) what that sentence originally was.

Jo also discusses the movies of her Harry Potter books, saying she has been really happy with the adaptations, and stating she told the trio of Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Emma Watson (Hermione) tidbits about the futures of their characters, but they never let on how much they knew. Also, Jo says for the first time that she did tell actor Dan Radcliffe a very significant bit of news about the fate of his character. To watch this new interview with JKR (SPOILERS AHOY!), click here. The article (again, SPOILERS) can also be read via this link.There will be more in the special one hour episode of “Dateline NBC” which airs this Sunday at 7pm (EST).

Update: The video is also now available for download, here in our galleries.

Thanks LordFinieus!

46 Responses to JKR Gives Original Last Line Containing the Word “Scar” and More In Part Two of “Today Show” Interview

Avatar Image says:

I really appreciate what she said about “a mother’s love”. The fact that this is what saved Harry both times (1st his mother’s love for him, the 2nd Narcissa’s love for Draco)and also what took down Bellatrix speaks volumes, and really is a great tribute to her own mother.

Jo is just the greatest.

Avatar Image says:

I love the interview. It answers so many questions. Thank you Jo!

Avatar Image says:

I have dial-up and can’t watch video online. Can someone please write the original final sentence out for me? Thanks so much!!

Avatar Image says:

Splodge knows where you live and he is coming to GET you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

What was the original last sentence ending with scar? (The video doesn’t work for me.)

Avatar Image says:

i couldn’t find the original last word, could someone help me??

Avatar Image says:

Cool. btw, I’m really glad that JKR didn’t kill Hagrid, since he’s my favorite character. He’s the only character in my top five list that is still alive. The rest of them are Dumbledore, Mad-Eye, Lupin, and Sirius. Fred and George come after Sirius, and even Fred was killed! btw, didn’t anyone think that Hagrid was extremely cool during the Death Eater chase scene?

Avatar Image says:

The last sentence was “Only those who he loved could see the lightning scar”

Avatar Image says:

The last line was something like “And only the people that he loved could see his lightning scar.” Personally, I liked what’s actually in the book a lot better (then again, I’m in the minority of people that actually liked the Epilogue).

I bet Jo feels so much better being able to give an interview without having to say “I can’t tell you that, it’ll be in the next book.” But it’s strange being able to hear her give out details now because we’re so used to her not talking about that stuff. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great, but it’s weird.

Avatar Image says:

That was a wonderful little video. Thank you TLC for making it available to us all.

Avatar Image says:

It’s strange. She said how the last line, the one ending with the word “scar” fitted the book so well; she didn’t say why she got rid of it.

Avatar Image says:

Interesting last line. One could intepert that as everyone could see it. After all Harry loved them to sacrifice himself, to stop peoples lives being destroyed.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOO! I can’t watch it on thier website, because my computer is too old to download Windows Media Player 10. Can somebody put it on YouTube or something?

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe that Dan, Rupert, and Emma knew more then they let on. They hid it very well. And I also agree that the ending in the book was so much better then the one she originally had with scar being the last word.

Avatar Image says:

It’s a relly nice interview, too bad it’s short :) I could’ve watched for hours. Yes, I can’t believe that Dan, Ruppert and Emma knew much more! Good secret keepers!

Avatar Image says:

Does the leaky lounge work for anyone? I know there are lots of changes being made about the site at the moment, but it could just as well be my old computer and I’m going crazy without a place to talk about DH.

I like the new ending better, but still the epilogue isn’t exactly my favourite part of the series. I was shouting at my book ‘what do you mean, “all was well”?? what happened to Snape???’

Avatar Image says:

I really wish people would do their research before interviewing JKR. Viera asked questions that have been asked of JK a bunch of times! JKR is so kind to just answer.

I liked the epilogue, and prefer the “All is well” ending, to this one. But it’s also interesting.

Avatar Image says:

“only his loved ones could see the lightning shaped scar.” something like that…

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm. I’d like it either way. But I’m certainly not coplaining about the ‘All was well’. It was a nice ending. And to Lady M.—as for what happended to Snape, what else was there to say? He died in the book and Harry named his son after Snape.

Avatar Image says:

Wow!! what a lovely video!! I love Jo, her whole interview was amazing. She’s so right about mother’s love. When I heard her talk about her own mother, it felt so sad, and it was a wonderful way to pay tribute to her mom. And ya, I liked the present last line better than the one she mentioned. It somehow fits the whole thing and ends it perfectly well!!

And ya, can’t believe Dan,Ruper and Emma KNEW!!! Whoa!!! Damn good secret keepers, they sure didn’t let on!!!;)

Avatar Image says:

Jenny Wildcat, you aren’t the only one who loved the epilogue. That was one of my favorite parts of the book. I thought that it was so cute that the series ended at the point that the happiest times of Harry’s life had started… Platform 9 3/4 on the way to his real home

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful interview! I must say, I loved the original last sentence more – it was more memorable and conveyed more…

Avatar Image says:

tis great that JK still shared with us the original last line (it certainly wasn’t what i guessed it would be). and yeah, i also love the epilogue. no mistakes will be made that they all ended up together. i even had a last minute choke-up when i read “Albus Severus”. sniff

Avatar Image says:

Not sure if this is O/T or not, but Keith Olberman’s Countdown is showing this morning;s interview as the last segment during his show tonight (and he’ll probably show the dateline portion on Monday – it’s on MSNBC at 8 p. EDT.

Avatar Image says:

Dumblemort – I didnt think Hagrid was just cool – he ROCKED! He is so pure at heart, he would do anything to save harry – even jump off a flying motorbike onto a closing in Deatheater on broom and battling with him as they both spiral downwards – whoaaaaaaaaaa – Dont mess with hagrid when he is angry – oh no – John Mclane from Die Hard cant touch him !!!

But like yourself – I’m rather perplexed why not much is mentioned of Hagrid’s badass heroics.

Avatar Image says:

Dan has showed he really knows how to keep a good secret! With the hundreds of interviews he has done to promote OotP and he didn’t say anything about it! I’m sure he is happy because he said he would like to play a death scene, but at the same time it would be very sad if Harry died, so the end is perfect!

I hope we will be able to see more interviews with Jo, it’s wonderful to listen her talking about the book, or about anything else really. :)

Avatar Image says:

I liked the book too. but still have so many questions… wish i cud go ask JKR directly :P one on one. ‘nyways… i thought the plot was brilliant. What a genius! She came up with sooo much… strung everything together. I guess i was upset that we won’t have another harry to look forward to! its depressing!!! and i really want to know what became of george. how did he react? and the dursleys.

Avatar Image says:

Dan was constantly berated about death scene question during OOTP press, its great he never hinted at knowledge. I think he may have even said he “use to think” he died but now he doesnt know…which to his knowledge was an utter lie ;)

Avatar Image says:

I made a little calculation on the epilogue and I think the base year for it is 1997, that would make it 2016, the year which Jo’s youngest children become 13 and 11. Could it be that Jo took their birthdays as that of Jimmy Potter and Albus Severus?

Avatar Image says:

I would say book 7 runs from Summer 1997 (Harry turns 17) through mid-1998. Therefore, I took the “19 years later” to mean 19 years after the END of the book—or September 1, 2017.

JMO :)

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Katarina (first comment) that whole mother’s love thing that honoured Jo’s mom and shone through with Harry and Draco is just perfect.

Also I like the epilogue she ended up publishing better than that sentence. (also combined with that first interview in which she reveals some more details of their professions and later lives and such – then it’s just great :D )

Avatar Image says:

The Epilogue is okay, but it’s not my favorite part of the book. I am wondering though, if I missed something. Are Hugo and Rose named after people we know?

Avatar Image says:

I must admit I always wondered if the trio knew more than they let on. They are really good actors, lol. I really like the epilogue. Although I can’t wait to know more, I’m happy that it was vague. Since JKR has guaranteed us an encyclopedia, I’m glad that there are still things left to find out. I’d be more depressed about DH being the last book if every single question was answered.

Professor Potter, thanks for responding to my question about Hagrid. He was AWESOME! I mean, he’s a half-giant flying on a giant motorbike, and he manages to keep Harry safe and keep himself alive. When he jumped at the Death Eater, that was just awesome. I think JKR really wanted us to think that Hagrid would die in this chapter, since at the end, she described Hagrid as lying “spread-eagled” on the ground, which is how she described Cedric when he was killed.

Honestly, this scene made me like Hagrid even more. I would’ve thought he was cool even if he ended up dying, but the fact that he survived that is just…WOW. I think that Hagrid is extremely underrated. He, in my opinion, is a bigger hero than Snape or Dumbledore (although both of them are cool, too).

Avatar Image says:

All of the talk about Hagrid made me think of one of the wizard rock songs by “The Weasel King”. It is called “Flying Motorbike” and it is about when Hagrid rescued Harry and took him to Number 4. The Weasel King has some other really good songs that all have to do with the HP books. I think my favorite is one called “Red Hair”. I found out about him through My Space Music.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe Hugo is related to Viktor and Rose to Lavendar?

Avatar Image says:

Maybe Hugo is related to Viktor and Rose to Lavendar?

Posted by hans on July 27, 2007 @ 11:22 PM
The joke going around is that Ron named Rose—for Madam Rosmerta. . . and Hermione named Hugo. . . for Viktor!
Avatar Image says:

hmmmm. i like the last lines in the book better than the original one…

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

How much did Dan, Rupert and Emma know? I cant watch the video…

Avatar Image says:

Hmm. i dint like the 19 yrs later chapter. i can’t see them all as grown up adults. my fav part was the prince’s story. I knew snape loved lily. harry was protected by love after all. love because of his mom also. i thought it was beautiful… and what did lily call petunia. tell me dint ANYONE find her cute? “tuney” hehe.. im glad that we get to know more soon..(i hope its soon). want to know so much. esp what happens AFTER the war. how they all brought back order. i think the saddest part was when she tells u how some families have been brought down to begging. terrible. they’d lost everything!!! and i was whooping when harry seemed to terrify voldemort at last!!!!! but he seemed less terrifying in this book didn’t he?

Avatar Image says:

loved the last line of the book rather than the original ending, loved the book, loved the interview. . .everything was just lovely!!! I’m going to really miss Harry Potter and his friends—-I’m re-reading the book now! Oh, yeah, and I loved the epilogue of the book too (I know I’m one of the minority, but that’s OK)

Avatar Image says:

I loved the book. It was incredibly emotional though. I think the most emotional of the series. I dunno why but the interview brought tears to my eyes towards the end. It’s weird to think it’s over. I explained the end to my friends who asked me to tell them and got choked up a couple of times talking about Snape loving Lily and Harry walking off to the forest- I couldn’t believe how emotional I got. It’s been forever since I’ve been on Leaky properly- hardly at all since the summer started!

I’m re-reading it slowly to my parents now aloud.. but it’s almost surreal and my life has actually been changing this summer SO MUCH..The place Harry Potter had in my heart is now being filled in again with new, exciting things so I guess that’s good.

I didn’t love the epilogue, I kind of hoped for a bit more to it, talking of more characters than just the trio’s lives and Draco, but I thought it was very good all the same.

Did anyone else think Voldemort’s end was crazily short after that entire book? I mean, Harry comes back, kills him off, and voila it’s done. It seemed so fast to me. But I still love this series and will read it to my children. :)

Avatar Image says:

Great analogy Prof. Potter. Hagrid really is the wizard world’s John Mclane. “Yippykaye Mother’effer.” [what was with that ‘effin’ stuff? JKR’s version of Battlestar Galactica’s ‘frak’?] Although that scene where he jumps on that DE in flight reminded me more of the end to Dr Strangelove. Did that guy who rides the bomb scream yippykaye? I also had a bad feeling she was going to kill Hagrid. Glad he survived.

I hate to be morbid here but after seeing this interview I can’t help but think that the series wouldn’t have been as good if JKR hadn’t suffered that terrible loss when she began writing them. Not just how real Harry seems while you’re reading about his experiences and thoughts but also the symbols she uses, both classical (like the Phoenix: to me a telling symbol of how her mother’s death perhaps brought these books to life) or of her own invention (like the Deathly Hallows).

On the subject of the film trio knowing a little about their character’s fates, I had a feeling they did. Dan and Emma had pretty obvious ‘gives’ but Rupert could hold a pretty straight face through denial.

Avatar Image says:

i adore her so much. i can’t wait for her encylopedia.

Avatar Image says:

I thought the ‘scar’ ending was much more meaningful in that it tells us how Harry’s life has changed because of the loved ones he now has. Before he was always stared at because of the lighting scar.

Where before he stood alone he now has all these people whom he loves and who love him back. That is also part of his journey and I think this was remarked by that ‘scar’ ending line.

It is also more poetic, more mysterious than ‘all was well’.

I still loved the book immensely, but I actually felt that, when I heard about it, the original ‘scar’ line would have been so much better as an ending.

Avatar Image says:

LOL at Hagrid being HP’s John McClane. It’s true, though. I had a bad feeling that Hagrid would die in that chapter, as well. Heck, towards the end of the chapter, it said, “Harry looked down and saw Hagrid spread-eagled on the ground below him.” The next chapter was called “Fallen Warrior,” so I had a bad feeling it could be Hagrid. I also thought it could be Bellatrix, because Bellatix means “warrior.” But it was Mad-Eye, my 3rd favorite character, Mad-Eye was extremely cool, and he was brave, too. He didn’t even run away from Voldemort, not like that filthy Mundungus did.

btw, am I the only one who picture Hagrid walking around with a machine gun. I mean, all he has is a pink umbrella. He would totally be John McClane if he had a maching gun. But the flying motorbike is good enough. =)

Avatar Image says:

btw, sorry for the spelling and punc. errors in my last paragraph, they were just typos.

Write a Reply or Comment