Alfonso Cuaron “Really Tempted” by “Deathly Hallows” Film

120

Jul 29, 2007

Posted by SueTLC

Rotten Tomatoes UK recently caught up with Prisoner of Azkaban director Alfonso Cuaron and spoke to him about his feelings on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and asked the director if he had any interest in returning to direct the film of the last Harry Potter book. Saying he has just begun reading “Deathly Hallows”, Alfonso Cuaron gave the following answer about his feelings if he were to be offered a directing position for the film adaptation of the book:

“You know, it was such a great opportunity and such a beautiful two years and everything around Harry Potter – JK Rowling’s creation – is enveloped in this really beneficial energy. I got the benefits of that energy for those two years. So yes I’d be very tempted to do so even though, at this point, I feel a little bit like I have to try to do the films that are not going to exist without me. On the same token, I would be really tempted because it was really beautiful. I just started reading the last book and something I respect is the care the producers have put in the film franchise. It would have been so easy after the success of the series just to take the cynical approach of knowing that no matter what people are going to see those movies. Actually they’ve been taking a lot of care from beginning to end, so yeah I would be really tempted.”

Thanks much to Joe from RottenTomatoes!

182 Responses to Alfonso Cuaron “Really Tempted” by “Deathly Hallows” Film

Avatar Image says:

Personally, I think he’d be great for DH. His style would be perfect, minus the crows and shrunken heads.

Avatar Image says:

He is the man to do DH!!! I really really hope he’ll direct this movie because we need his touch, his way to see the darkness and maturity for each character. He’s the one!!

Avatar Image says:

OMG NO! Please Warner Brothers, DO NOT let him direct another Harry Potter film! Prisoner of Azkaban was, in my opinion, the WORST of the films to date. It just didn’t capture the essence of the book at all for me. My favorite film remains Chamber of Secrets. This is rather odd as PoA is my favorite book and CoS is my least favorite, but I just feal that Christopher Columbus did a much better job keeping to the story than Alfonso Cuaron. Must I remind you of the talking heads?

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Please don’t let him!

Avatar Image says:

NO! NO NO NO! Until Yates did such a mediocre directing job on OotP, I thought PoA the least statisfying film in terms of internal contruction and direction. (As usual, let me be fair to Yates and say it is impossible for me to know how much blame can be attributed to him, to the editor, and to the screenplay. However, the director of a film is generally given greater control than either editor or screenwriter…)

Cuaron does interesting work, absolutely, but he appears to have missed important nuances in scenes, character development and story line in his willingness to include ‘cute shots’ unnecessary to the film version of PoA.

Avatar Image says:

I’d love it if he did book 7 film – they need someone who can take the spirit of love and symbolism, good and evil – Dumble’s abiguity and make a film that truely reflects the book. Just thinking about him doing the ‘forest again’ chapter raises the hairs on the back of my neck – he could translate that brilliantly i’m tellin you!

No shrunken heads tho – on that we are agreed!

L!

Avatar Image says:

If you think that Alfonso should not do HP7, all I can say is – please, please, PLEASE rent Children of Men as soon as possible. Yes, he did some things wrong when he directed POA. But this man, I am so convinced, is the ONLY person who could handle directing Movie 7. Oh, Alfonso, pleeeease come back! HP fandom needs you! :)

(definitely leave the shrunken heads at home this time though, ok? same goes for super!hermione. love you!)

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron is one of the best directors alive and I thought he brought a lot to the table with Azkaban. It was beautiful. And when reading Hallows I really thought a lot of that material would be well-suited for him, especially stuff near the end.

Oh and by the way, before you guys start cursing Cuaron for not adapting Azkaban correctly - even though I completely disagree - maybe you should turn your attentions to Steve Kloves, who was the one who actually wrote the screenplay.

Avatar Image says:

PS: It would be interesting to know, someday, if Warner Bros has a staff member monitoring discussion lists like TLC…. I am increasingly struck by how revolutionary the Potter fan movement as a whole, and specifically the fan sites such as TLC and others working in cooperation through the Floonet, truly are. Remember the days when Warner Bros and others tried to close down the fan sites…and then realized how valuable they were for marketing? So, you folks from WB who may be reading, pay attention to the discussions here about the films, especially the threaded discussion about the quality of Yates’s work as director. You may have already signed him to direct the next film, but he can still be ‘encouraged’ to listen to constructive criticism!

Avatar Image says:

Out of all the books, Book 7 can afford the least to be cut. The part where they are wondering around at the begginning can be summarized, but the rest needs to be almost identicle. If he does this movie he will ruin it. David Yates will once again be offered to direct the 7th film first since he is the current director. I hope David Yates directs the last one, because OOTP was a good movie. They nee to make this film a two part movie.

Avatar Image says:

NO!!! Keep him FAR FAR AWAY from ANYTHING Harry Potter! He made the best book into the worst movie, he will mutilate Deathly Hallows!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, please! Just cut down the Pink Power Granger and the movie is going to be AWESOME.

Avatar Image says:

When I was reading DH I thought: “wow this movie is gonna suck”. Dont get me wrong: great book. But theres a lot of deep internal plot points, and a lot of backstory which I dont believe Kloves, (who I guess will, unfortunately, be back for DH), will be able to transfer to screen.

Alfonso directing it makes it into a film I doubt I want to see. I hated PoA, and doubt reuniting this writing/directing duo will restore my faith in the movie

Avatar Image says:

I think he would be great! In all of the “The battle of Hogwarts” chapter i was thiking of him and is latest movie Children of Men. The end sequence, a big sequence none stop, would be so nice for the BOH chapter. And he capture R/Hr very beautifully in Askaban, i could go on on why he should :)

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree that Mr.Alfonso Cuaron should not ever direct a nother Harry Potter movie. Prisoner of Azkaban was BAD and was not done right at all. Mr. Alfonson Cuaron maybe good at directing other movies, but not Harry Potters. Leave the shrunken heads and the crows in they are all part of the wizarting world. Warner Brothers please make the rest of the Harry Potter movies. Thank You.

Avatar Image says:

Please! I loved POA and I think he would capture the style perfectly :)

Avatar Image says:

I hated the third movie. Sure it was pretty, but I don’t think the story was told well at all. DH simply does not allow for nonsense like shrunken heads and deep plot cuts. In fact, I don’t know that I’ll want to see movie 7 at all, regardless of who directs it. As I read DH I kept thinking of how it would just never work as a movie, how the deep emotional struggles of the book will just never be transferred properly to film. I don’t think I will be able to stand seeing Book 7 cut and spliced up into an ‘adaptation.’ I don’t think I will like any version of the film so as far as I’m concerned, Cuaron can go ahead and direct it.

Avatar Image says:

All those “no don’t let him” comments make me very angry! He is the best that could have happened to the HP series!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you really want Chris back then? Together with David Yates he is on the top list for Deathly Hallows!

POA was the best so far, a tied number 1 with OOTP! I’ll stop now before I get to angry with all the whiners here!

Avatar Image says:

I am really of two minds here. I think Cuaron is an amazing director, and Deathly Hallows actually made me think of Children of Men while reading it. I think he would make a fantastic movie out of it. On the other hand, I am sooo protective of these characters and I hated how he portrayed Ron and Hermione. I think a lot of the blame goes to Kloves, but the director works very closely with the screenwriter in this type of adaptive process, so I place the blame on both for the characterization.

I think Yates has done the best as far as characterization goes and emotions. I didn’t like OOTP at first because I felt that you could tell Yates had only directed t.v.and some of the cuts annoyed me. However, I really liked it the second time, and I think he’s come the closest to capturing the spirit of the books. I am curious to see how he improves (or doesn’t) for HBP. If I like HBP, I’d say keep him. His movie was definitely dark. I think he could handle the complex emotions and darkness of book 7, even though Cuaron would be much better with the visuals. I tend to side with Yates because of better characterization.

Avatar Image says:

cries I swear, I nearly died when I read this article. Seriously, if WB lets him return to direct the seventh film, I’m not going to see it. Just.. no. He did a horrible job with Prisoner of Azkaban, which was my favorite book of the series, behind Deathly Hallows. The seventh book is the one that must remain the most intact, and if he directs it, the movie will be just as bad as the third one.

Avatar Image says:

Prisoner of Azkaban is a beautiful film, the pacing is great, and the story is well told and full of subtlety. I would love to have Cuarón back for Deathly Hallows.

Also, it’s kind of funny that people complain about the shrunked heads so much, especially when Jo herself has confessed to loving them and wishing she had come up with them herself. Combine that with Rowling also saying that Cuarón unknowlingly foreshadowed things, I think it’s rather surprising that fans don’t want a director who seems to have such an intuitive feel for the world, by Rowling’s own admission.

Avatar Image says:

No No No No No!!! Anyone but him!!!!! PoA was distressingly bad. He’ll make the stupid shrunken heads a part of the battle at Hogwarts or something. I wince everytime I have to think about those heads….......

Avatar Image says:

YES!!!! Come back for DH! Because Cuaron is our king! He can direct anything! That’s why Potter fans all sing Cuaron is our king!

OH MY GOD !!!!!

I really hope he will NEVER EVER direct another HP movie !!!! Prisoner Of Azkaban is the worst of all movies released so far… it had NOTHING to do with the book. Deathly Hallows is a masterpiece, so the movie will have to be !

May God save us from such a nightmare !

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOO! Please, do not let him near the movie! I hated PoA as a movie! I know, the movies are going to be a bit different from the book, but dear Lord, he cannot make it completly his own. No one wants to see those stupid shrnken heads in battle and a little bluebird get smashed every 4 seconds. WB cannot let him direct the film with so many fans bad feelings about him…. they just can’t! cries

Avatar Image says:

A final post to this discussion, then I’ll just become a spectator: regardless who directs, writes etc, we will all go to the films. And regardless of how we feel about those films, we will buy the dvds as they appear…and if extended versions should ever appear, we’ll buy those too. Let’s be honest with ourselves. I just wish all involved in every stage of the films’ production would really ensure the quality is always the highest possible, which is what Potter fans crave and Rowling’s marvelous novels deserve.

Avatar Image says:

Oh good god no! Not him AGAIN! Let’s please stick with the infinitely better Yates. Cuaron’s ‘masterpiece’ was a monster.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope he does direct it, he would do such a great job, like he did in POA, which is one of the best HP movies. He made it feel real, as if it really exists, let’s pray for him to come back to the HP world¡, with him DH will be great, as he is able to create such a great atmosphere. let’s pray for him to come back to the HP world¡¡

Avatar Image says:

Can I just express my horror at this enthusiasm to direct the film!? PLEASE NO! I’m very grateful to everyone else that supports my views!:)

PoA was one of my favourite books – and he murdered it as a film. It’s growing on me but please nooooo!!!

Avatar Image says:

I love Prisoner of Azkaban, the movie. It was the only, yes ONLY, HP movie I thought was good. Columbus’s films got the details right, but missed the emotion. GOF and OotP films were very atmospheric, but I thought they didn’t have any depth. Cuaron was the only director of the HP films I thought got the depth of emotion correct.

I think Deathly Hallows will make a terrible movie. I think it will be very difficult to capture on screen the emotion the book delivers. That said, I think Cuaron would be the only one who could make a good effort at it. I would LOVE to have him back.

I think Cuaron is one of the greatest directors working in film today. His Children of Men is utterly haunting. If he can bring that level of emotion to that story, I am all for giving him a crack at DH.

Avatar Image says:

Also – i loved OotP Please let the director of that continue his magic (pardon the pun)

Avatar Image says:

NO he can not direct the 7th film. I saw movies 1-4 before reading the books (well actully I saw 4 than 1-3)and I could not follow 3 at all. Once I read the book I understood the movie but was struck by how much the movie differed from the book. I know they all differ from the books due to time etc. but 3 was such a hack job and so much was left out. I understand that movies 4 & 5 had to be cut due to the book size but 3 was a much smaller book and could have stayed true to the book more. Book 7 is going to need to stay with the book more than any other and Cuaron is NOT the one to do this as evidenced in POA.

Avatar Image says:

PoA was the best of the film, IMO. I would LOVE it if Cuaron directed. I also enjoyed David Yates’ direction, but since he’s doing HBP, I think it would be nice to see another proven director back at the helm for the last film.

Quite frankly, any directorial except the man who did the fourth film would be OK with me.

Avatar Image says:

Add me to the ABC (Anybody but Cuaron) list. This movie will require a director who is willing to put his own vanity aside and use the author’s creations on-screen and not be so concerned with putting his own touches in. It’s too emotional to have to deal with whatever his new idea for shrunken heads might be. I know many gush about the cinematography in PoA, and it did have its good moments and I enjoyed it, but Cuaron showed that he has no scruples about cutting important plot points, and we just don’t need anyone that controversial finishing out the series. Yates also left out a couple of things that I wish had been in OOTP, but overall it felt MUCH more like the books than Cuaron’s movie.

Avatar Image says:

As Xena says: Cuaron is our king¡¡¡ All hail Cuaron¡¡ A small comment to all those who say Yates has done better than Cuaron, i ask have you really seen the movie? because it had many parts in which, i who have read the book got a bit confused, though that doesn’t mean i didn’t like the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Please, no more Cuaron directed Harry Potter movies! He left out so many important parts of HP/PoA:(unless you read the books, you have NO IDEA who the makers of the marauders’ map are), put in too many unnecessary bits (those poor little blue birds)and changed things better left alone (Hermione slaps Malfoy, she doesn’t punch him, and that distinction is important). Please get someone who will be more faithful to the books. Personally I like Chris Columbus’ work with the first two movies, but those books are not anywhere near as complex and emotional as HP/H so I don’t know if his style will work for HP/DH.

Avatar Image says:

The movies have been getting better as they’ve gone along, PLEASE don’t let Cuaron break that trend. He is the absolute worst director the HP movies have seen yet; his casting was dreadful, along with his direction and absolute lack of connection with the other films and books.

Luckily, Cuaron said the exact same thing about the 6th film; he may simply be hoping to get himself more recognition.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not Cuaron!!!!! I think he made a mess of my favorite book at the time!!!! He butchered it!!! David Yates did an outstanding job on Order of the Phoenix and I went into the theater waiting to be completely disappointed again!!! Yates while he let out much of the side stories, captured the essence of the book! I expect he would close the movie series with what in Puerto Rico we call “Broche de Oro.” Sorry, if I translate it it loses it’s meaning!!! PLEASE KEEP CUARON AWAY FROM THE REMAINING HARRY POTTER MOVIES, PLEASE!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

please no!! I don’t think I can take another director who puts a really artistic/creative touch on the series. I hated all his shots of birds flying around and all the scenery scenes.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOO!!!! PoA was the only HP movie I got bored with and that’s because of his aweful direction. The movie was confusing, shallow, and childish!!!!! Please, DON’T LET HIM DO IT AGAIN!!!!! I think it’s time we get Peter Jackson to direct the last HP movie. At least he won’t be afraid to exceed the 2.5 hour limit!!!!! or Steven Spielberg? One can only hope!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I think he should direct! LOL, I might be the only one who liked POA, it’s my favorite besides OoTP… also no more speaking head-thingys.

Avatar Image says:

NO THANK YOU. I did NOT like his interpretation of POA and have resented that installment of the series ever since. Yates has a much better feel for the darkness of the story, and he’s much less sloppy and goofy than Cuaron. Heck, I’d take Tim Burton over Cuaron any day!

Avatar Image says:

Until Yates and OotP, PoA was my favorite film. Alfonzo had added a component that was seriously missing in the HP franchise, and until I saw OotP I would have been happy for him to return. But now, I would be VERY happy to see David Yates finish out the series.

Not since SS/PS had I walked out of an HP movie, on the first viewing, and felt really pleased about the final product. Not until OotP, that is. David Yates was able to pull the best emotional performances out of those kids. And because I had made it a point NOT to read the book before the movie, I was able to sit back and relax and enjoy the liberties taken to create an extraordinary film that was quite comparable to the books.

I am incredibly pleased with David Yates, and I think it would be a tremendous benefit to DH, and the HP franchise in general, if he would stay and finish out the series.

Avatar Image says:

PoA is my favorite of the Potter films. It’s the one that holds up best as an individual film, and not just an adaptation. Much of that is due to Alfonso’s direction. His old-fashioned sense of special effects and cinematography made that film beautiful. I even didn’t mind the shrunken heads.

I say bring him back!

Avatar Image says:

I think that Cuaron would be horrible for DH!!! Please do NOT let him have it! I’m sorry, but for all those people who say any problems with PoA were Kloves fault: Who do you think told him to change those things?! The Director of a film has nearly complete control over everything. So Kloves didn’t mess up PoA, Cuaron did! Plus Cuaron didn’t do that good a job with his version of “A Little Princess” either. I’m sorry to all you Cuaron’ fans, but I would protest if he was given DH. I do not want him ruining another great story.

Avatar Image says:

NO!!!! Yates did a great job making a movie that people could actually understand, now Cuaron’s going to come back and make the 7th movie impossible to follow for non-readers and make it all about artistic shots, etc. NO….PLEASE….

Avatar Image says:

So I’m wondering who you all would have directing DH? Chris Columbus got nailed for staying too true to the books (his movies are my favorites, but that may well be because I was completely THRILLED to see HP on the big screen and have it look so true to the vision I had in my head). Cuaron got crucified for dropping much of the plot points in PoA (his was my least favorite movie because there was so much missing but, as was mentioned, the screenwriter takes the blame for that), changing the look of Hogwarts, and making everything so dark. Oddly, I didn’t see anything about Mike Newell (GoF). Then along comes David Yates for OotP and now there are people who don’t like what he did with his like corner of the HP world. I liked Yates’s turn at the wheel. I didn’t read OotP before I went to the movie so I wouldn’t nitpick it to pieces and I thought it did a stellar job of bringing the oppressive feeling of a Voldemort inhabited world to life and also Harry’s (and the others) fears, both of what is going on outside the walls of Hogwarts and what is going on inside (Umbridge…yikes!). DH is going to need to be dark, so I like Cuaron or Yates for it. Its going to have to be tense and I think either of them could pull it off.

Avatar Image says:

Uggh. I really hope he doesn’t do Movie 7…PoA was the worst I’ve seen yet. Shrunken Heads? That Maggot thing? Why were they suddenly dressed like they were all from a modern city, and what was with attacking the pumpkin, and all the junk that seemed to support H/Hr? I haven’t seen OotP, but out of the 4 I saw, his was the worst adaptation of them. Leave the other movies to him, not Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

NO NO NO! Please do not let that madman with his scissors near DH. He shredded my favorite book of the series, made the WORST film of the series. Please, WB, show us fans some sympathy and support and tell him he’s never welcome on another Harry Potter set!

Avatar Image says:

I hate Cuaron. POA was a disaster. Yates needs to take Deathly Hallows all the way! :[

Avatar Image says:

I would LOOOVE if he did movie 7 melts PoA was my favorite book and film. The movies will always be a seperate medium than the books and people will always nit pick about parts being left out…

The PoA film really captured the feelings I had from reading the books, it brought the emotional aspect. OK they didn’t keep in the marauders bit- If Rowling was okay with that being cut, than so am I. Yes, I will also admit the shrunken head was horrible too. BUT Alfonso also brings a great darkness and I think he would be perfect for DH. Movie 7 might turn out so flat and empty, if it falls in the wrong directors hands.

Avatar Image says:

PoA was the best Harry Potter film BY FAR. Frankly, I don’t understand how anyone could say it’s “terrible.” It DID feature many cuts, but that doesn’t stop it from being the best movie. Besides that, Cuaron clearly showed that he understood where JK was going even then. (The hand holding between Ron and Hermione, Snape’s defense of the children from Lupin, etc.) He clearly has a grasp on the story.

As such, I would LOVE to have him back for Deathly Hallows. I want the same epic 3-hour finale you guys want to see and I’m confident he, more than any of the other directors, can deliver. Remember, PoA featured much more cutable than DH does. His heavy editing of it does NOT indicate the same for DH. He will create them on a book-by-book basis after all.

P.S. Bring John Williams back as well! He had just reached the prime of his HP score in PoA!

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t mind at all if he was to direct. My biggest concern would be how they would write the screen play. I’m sorry people but they can NOT do this book in 2 hours and 30 minutes. They desperately need to make the last two films the longest. If they do this then I can guarantee that the last 2 films will be the best films movie theaters have ever seen.

Avatar Image says:

OMG NO NO NO! POF was terrible!!!!

I was thinking personally that Joss Wheadon (Weadon) not sure of the spelling should do DH! Why cause as great and twisted as this book was, it needs an equally twisted director. If Alfanso touches this movie i will boycott and cry!

Avatar Image says:

The first to movie were almost boring within the paramaters of the books, the last two went outraging outside the parameters, telling almost a complete new story. PoA was fresh and faithfull at the same time, therefor I would prefer Cuaron. But only because I am still hipdeep in DH and haven’t take a distance yet.

OK let’s precast already: how about Rowan Atkinson as Xenophilius Lovegood. Christian Bale as young Grindelwald? any suggestions?

Avatar Image says:

People so often blame the director instead of the screenwriter.

I loved OotP, but the thing I loved about it was the script. I hate that Kloves is coming back- he’s useless.

When it comes to directing, Cuaron is sooo much better than any of the others. Yates was good, and I have a lot of confidence in him, but Cuaron is better.

The only bones I have to pick with Cuaron are little things like the Shrunken Heads… but really, who cares? Jo liked it anyway.

The scriptwriter of OotP (I can’t remember his name) along with Cuaron directing would be a perfect combination imo. Well, no- Peter Jackson and co. would be perfect, but that isn’t going to happen.

Avatar Image says:

HISS GET. AWAY. FROM. MY. POTTER. FILM. Away you vile fiend, AWAY!

He RUINED PoA. It was a utterly dreadful. No, no, on, no, no. 0

Avatar Image says:

NO WAY! I DON’T WANT ANY SHRUNKEN HEADS, PUMPKIN PATCHES, OR SINGING FROGS IN THE 7th BOOK!!!!! STAY AWAY CUARON STAY AWAY!! I’d rather have Peter Jackson film it.

Avatar Image says:

I know I’m in the minority here, but I loved POA, and I loved the way Alfonso directs. Lupin changing into the werewolf is my fave part. However, I don’t think he should do Deathly Hallows. In my dreams it would be Peter Jackson, but I think he may not have time to do it.

Avatar Image says:

umm…i dont know…i didnt really like the poa movie. my favorites are(ranked most favorite to least favorite): OoP, CoS, SS, GoF, PoA. i can see how his style would work for the film…i just thought that PoA was very boring and its definately not the first HP movie i would think of pulling out and watching. and its a real shame because i reeeeeeeally liked the PoA book.:[

No thanks!

Avatar Image says:

I HOPE he directs it! He did some absolutely amazing action sequences in Children of Men, and I think he would definitely be able to do Deathly Hallows justice.

Avatar Image says:

I personally really hope that yates carries on. He is the best thing that has happened to this movie saga. The Prisoner of Azkaban book was my favourite and cuaron tarnished the good name of JK. He left out the major underlying plot line…the marauders…enough said!

Avatar Image says:

Ugh! Alfonso ruined Prisoner of Azkaban. Why can’t Peter Jackson work on Deathly Hallows? Has Warner Brothers approached him at all???

Avatar Image says:

I too would love Alfonso Cuaron to return to film The Deathly Hallows. He was able to capture great performances from all the actors as well as put together a seemless film that flowed nicely without unusual, confusing scene changes and people talking off screen (David Yates should take some notes).

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! IMO he would ruin it! I am hoping for (not likely though) Peter Jackson and a 3.5+ hour epic that includes EVERYTHING!!!! Although if they really did include everything it would probably be rated “R”.

Avatar Image says:

how about Peter Jackson ?? He would be PERFECTTTTTTTTTT wouldn’t he ?

Avatar Image says:

I wasn’t all that impressed with Cuaron’s “vision” of Harry Potter. Dressing the trio in jeans and sweatshirts? Please… we’re in the wizarding world, now.

Personally, I’d like to see Mike Newell or Chris Columbus direct Deathly Hallows… or… Tim Burton (as long as he doesn’t go too “Nightmare Before/Corpse Bride”).

Avatar Image says:

Well the PoA is really the best DIRECTED film of the series, but it didn’t have a really good script. Then again, I guess Cuaron is not the one to be blamed for that. Now I hope no-one thinks that these movies are supposed to be exactly the same as the books. They need to primarly be good movies and movies just don’t work the way books do. Cuaron is still the only HP director that made me feel I’m not watching a movie made for 10 year-olds with 1 minute attention span.

Avatar Image says:

Noooo sob Please no. I don’t like what Cuaron did to PoA and I sure don’t want him back to ruin the very last one. If Cuaron does it, they may as well tell Rupert to stay home. :(

Avatar Image says:

OMG NO! Bring back Yates for DH! He’s the man to do it!

I rank POA as the worst one of the bunch! He was the worst director out the bunch. His direction in the PoA is not good and he put in too many random things that did nothing for the plot. Sure it looked nice but that did nothing for the plot!

If WB is smart they’ll keep Yates till the end.

Avatar Image says:

All of you criticising Alfonso’s direction of PoA would do well to remember it was the best film of the series in critical acclaim. He was the one that turned it into the universe we know now, the Bridge, Hogsmeade, Hagrid’s Hut etc.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe Thats all I have to say, number three was beautiful, though not so true to the book- 3 was my fav and 6 is my second fav but I havent seen the 6th yet hopefully David Yates will do a great job, and the 7th book we are already expecting them to butcher it so let is be done nicely at least

NNNOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

My children and my nieces and nephews all agree: Prisoner of Azkaban is their favorite book and their least favorite movie. No more Cuarons.

Avatar Image says:

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! David Yates for DH!!!

Avatar Image says:

PETER JACKSON! PETER JACKSON! PETER JACKSON! PETER JACKSON! PETER JACKSON! PETER JACKSON!

Avatar Image says:

I hope he doesn’t I really do. I tho-ught PoA was the worst of all the HP movies, I hated his direction and I would be really upset if he go his grubby little hands on it.

Avatar Image says:

I really don’t think it’s going to be possible to make DH into one movie- which Cuaron will obviously try to do if given the job. There are way too many beautifully important plotpoints and metaphors to life and real war that I believe almost have to be kept in there. I seriously think if they try to make it into a film they must split it into two because it’s ridiculously long in content and important things; and I really liked the OotP film because it kept almost all of the mainly important things (except the locket, but they can explain that in other ways).

I think HBP will be the best movie of them all because it’s so easily daptable to film by its few important things (Snape/Draco stuff, the Half-Blood Prince book/spells/potions, Harry and Dumbledore’s meetings/final adventure, the Horcruxes/memories, and all those romances, parties, and Quidditch can be the funny/happy stuff). In contrast to DH, HBP felt very short and quick to me. DH is incredibly long and emotionally and physically eventful. I have never been brought to tears so many different times in one reading.

Let’s hope they get someone who can do it justice because I’m quite sick of hearing from Cuaron who left out the most important thing about PoA – Harry’s connection to his father and his father’s true past.

Avatar Image says:

OH! PLEASE NO! I think he is a very good director , but I don’t want to see him direct the last film. I liked POA least of ALL the HP films. It was a nice exspencive Art House film but little of the real book was captured. Death Hallows is way too important to get lost in any vision besides Joe’s.

Either David Yates completes the series after HBP or i would rather see a new director who is good with emotion, huge scenes and charater study .

No Peter Jackson either , PLEASE!. King Kong was terriful, except for special effects,and the last book needs a different touch.

Avatar Image says:

I think that Alfonso was great. PoA was not perfect, and I didn’t like the Firebolt ending at all, but other than that and a few other things, I enjoyed the film as a whole. I think that the weakest film of the series is CoS. I LOVED the film when I first saw it, and I was only nine years old. I like the film now, but I certainly don’t love it. For one thing, it feels like a carbon copy of the book. There is a way to remain true to the books without making the film an illustration of the book.

CoS is mostly an illustration, and doesn’t stand on its own as a film. Also, the acting from Dan, Rupert, and Emma wasn’t horrible, but wasn’t that great. I think that Dan was the worst of the three in CoS (and in PS, now that I think of it). He wasn’t putting much effort into his acting back then, he’s WAY better now.

The PS film was a great start of the series, but it had flaws as well. The first two films were good, and they had that “magical” feeling, but they didn’t seem to focus as much on the characters’ emotions.

I think that PoA improved the film series a lot. It really had the “feel” of the books. I’m not upset about some things being changed, since I’m not a fan who complains about EVERYTHING that is different from the book. Cuaron gave the series the “darker” feel that it needed, and he gave Dan’s Harry the right hairstyle, for once. PoA is the first of the HP series that really feels like a FILM. While the first two (more the second, though) felt like illustrations, PoA was faithful without getting everything word-for-word.

Overall, I would really like to see Cuaron for Deathly Hallows. I think that he would do a great job with the Battle of Hogwarts. He wouldn’t be my first pick, though, but he’d be great. Just my opinion, though.

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron? Some of you want him back???? How flat can a learning curve get?

Lest we forget, Mister “I have to try to do the films that are not going to exist without me”, decided on his own that the books needed to be changed from what Jo wrote. Remember these?

• Harry’s Patronus couldn’t be the all-important stag, but it needed to be a big blue umbrella!
  • As if the plot simply wasn’t interesting enough, he decided to turn the movie into “Harry Potter Meets the Wolfman!”
  • The school year didn’t really need to end with Harry going back to the Dursley’s, despite the fact that it is a mandatory element proven out in the final book!
  • Dumbledore humming the Mexican Hat Dance? Why?
  • He was able to take a brilliant experienced cast and somehow get them to do the absolutely worst acting job of any of their careers!
  • He is the one who superglued Dumbledore into a lovely lavender nightgown!
  • He fired the real Professor Flitwick and replaced him with a miniature Juan Valdez!
  • As others have already said: “Shrunken heads”!
  • Did he not realize that we are actually smart enough to remember where the Whomping Willow and Hagrid’s hut were in the first two movies?

Ugh. I could go on. Please, WB… NO CUARON! My wife and I both agree that David Yates has done the best job of dealing with such huge volumes of material as provided by 900 page novels, often in subtle ways that don’t require twenty minutes of screen time… or worse: Arthur Weasley pulling Harry aside to explain the plot of the movie to him!

Avatar Image says:

btw, I would love for Yates to return as well, but there’s one thing about him that bothers me, and it is the fact that he thinks that 2 hrs. 30 minutes is too long. If David Yates even thinks about trimming DH down to 2 hrs. and 18 minutes, then it’ll be a complete disaster. I think that, even though a lot was cut, that OOTP was an extremely difficult story to trim down. I felt it was more faithful to its book counterpart than GoF was, and GoF was 2 hrs. 37 minutes.

I have the first LOTR movie (I’m not a huge fan and I haven’t read the books, although I’m currently reading the Hobbit), so I might watch it to see if I like his directing style with it. I HATED the King Kong movie, though. It was really boring. I didn’t even watch the whole thing, and I ended up stopping it before King Kong even appeared, It was much too slow-paced, and the best thing about it was the effects. I have seen the first and third LOTR films, though, and from what I remember they are quite good. I’ll see.

Avatar Image says:

I meant that OOTP was NOT an extremely difficult story to trim down. And Anthony, about Hagrid’s Hut’s location, the only reason I wouldn’t like the change is because it ruins the films’ continuity. But in PoA, the location of Hagrid’s hut is closer to the novels. In the first two films, it was too close to Howarts, and it was too small. In PoA, it is bigger and in the right location.

YES! YES! YES!

We need someone who can seamlessly combine the action with the emotion, and as Children of Men proves, Cuarón is fantastic at that. I love that movie to pieces and Cuarón’s brilliance is the reason. I would also be very very happy if he brought Emmanuel Lubezki along. That man is a genius of cinematography.

I would be equally excited to have David Yates back. He did a very good job with OOTP, which incidentally is my favorite HP film. And I also think that DH is closest to OOTP in its general tone and emotional backdrop, so he could be a perfect match. Just don’t screw up HBP, Mr. Yates!

Guillermo Del Toro would also be a worthy choice. For explanation, see Pan’s Labyrith. However something tells me WB will not risk a new director for the last film, they would want someone who has proven themselves already, and I think we can rule out Columbus and Newell. DH is simply not their type of material.

For heaven’s sake, Peter Jackson is not going to direct a Potter film, get over it! He’s not going to jump into a franchise where he has to ensure continuity with 4 previous directors, based on a book he most likely wouldn’t be allowed to adapt. That privilege will stay with Kloves or Goldenberg. Besides, he doesn’t work outside New Zealand. And there’s no guarantee that he can get it right as he did with LOTR. See King Kong.

Tim Burton can be ruled out for mostly the same reasons. He’s just not into franchises, especially if he’s not the one creating the vision for them. From what I remember, the studio had major trouble getting him on board for Batman Returns, and he didn’t even want to hear about Planet of the Apes 2. Besides, he’s simply not the right director for HP. I love quite a few of his movies, especially Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands, but his style is nowhere near dramatic enough for Potter. He is a storyteller, and HP has grown past that kind of approach a long time ago.

I just hope WB will be sensible enough to ask John Williams if he would be interested in returning. I’m sure he would say yes. And they could get Michael Goldenberg instead of Kloves. He got closer to a perfect HP adaptation in one go than Kloves did in 4 movies. Although I’m sure that if Kloves wants to do it, he will be the first one to be offered the job.

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron would be perfect for DH.

I am a big film buff and Cuaron was by far the best treatment on the HP franchise. Instead of the campiness of the rest. He’d get my support for the last one – he’d address the scary stuff brilliantly.

Avatar Image says:

NO! I POA is my least favorite film. NO!

Avatar Image says:

I would love to see Cuaron back. I thought his adaptation of POA was beautiful and flowed well. I loved his subtle use of time and changing of the seasons to keep the story moving along. I thought he was very connected and loyal to J.K.’s story and whatever was missing or changed didn’t bother me as much as the changes and omissions in the last 2 films, especially 4. I think Cuaron would do well is Deathly Hallows. But I did like what Yates did for the most part with OOTP, with the exception of Cho being the one who is forced to tell about Dumbledore’s Army, and I think he will do well with HBP so who knows maybe he’ll do the final film. For Deathly Hallows, Cuaron would be my first choice followed by Yates at this point in time. I think they both would do well with the complexity of it. It would be ideal if they collaborated on it. I would love that.

Avatar Image says:

I would like for Alfonso or David to Direct the final Harry Potter film. My main worry is that “Deathly Hallows” will be butchered beyond recognition because it appears to be the most difficult book to be put on screen yet; there are so many scenes that are too relevant to the plot to be cut than there have been in any of the other books.

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron is one of my favorite directors and I loved his Prisoner of Azkaban. In my view, he saved the franchise from the complete artistic emptiness it was facing at the hand of slavishly faithful but cinematically bland Chris Columbus. His look for Hogwarts in particular was a HUGE achievement, and overall PoA was beautifully-filmed, as are all of his movies. He also succeeded in pulling more emotionally compelling performances out of the actors (Yates has been most successful in this department, but the kids were also two years more experienced then). I think that he could do a wonderful job with Deathly Hallows. He gets slammed for coming into the process with some ideas of his own, but that risk-taking quality made the film he directed more alive and…magical. I loved both Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix, and I could take or leave all of the other films (or just plain leave SS/PS and CoS). I’d be exceedingly happy with either Cuaron or Yates for the last movie.

Avatar Image says:

Well, here I go. I’m definately with the minority here. Alfonso Cuaron is a genius! He’s made the only Harry Potter movie that can actually stand on it’s own as a movie. The first two movies were basically the books all over again, with special effects and great sets. They meander through the plot and have very little filmic imagination. Then Alfonso came along and blessed the Harry Potter movies. He made something that had it’s own style. The film NEVER feels disjointed, and is always full of little tiny details. Some of those shots are so well executed!

While reading Deathly Hallows, I kept thinking that he should definately come back to do the film. I think the material suits him, and he would be able to make it a fluid and engrossing film. Anyone doubting him as a great director NEEDS to see Children of Men.

So yes, I would love for Alfonso (I like to think we are on first name terms) to come back!

Avatar Image says:

No way I do not want he to mess up another Harry Potter movie. Please get Peter Jackson to make the last two movies he will do a really good job.

Avatar Image says:

Seriously people,much as I despise what he did to POA. (since we appeared to be agreed not to mention shrunken heads that channel Jar Jar Binks, bird killing trees Mini-me Hitler Flitwicks, Hair from Behind Hermione, hairless werewolves, matted Cruckshanks, dirty Dumbledore fingernails and such so I won’t mention those) and much as he irritates me I am amazed he gave it a week! Seriously, when itcomes to attention getting, the man is the Arnold Horshack of the Harry Potter world….”OH OHOO…Mr Kotter/Potter..OH Oh OH”

He is using the release of Deathly Hallowsd to get attention and publicity and right off to attach his name to Deathly Hallows. As brilliant and artistic as he might be (and I personally put a lot of stress on the “might”) right now he is positioning as he did a few months ago when he was after HBP. He knows this is his last shot and he doesn’t have much going form him now. You will note now how TOTALLY useless his big hints about secret conversations with Jo about graveyards were. If it was true it was absolutely nothing but it got him noticed and talked about in the Potterverse. That is all this is, trying to hype up his job application. If we are lucky it wont work this time any better than it did for GOF, OTP or HBP , the ride will get too boompy, they will pick somebody really good (i.e. not him) and he will hush.

And if you read closely all the talk about beautiful flowing energy and temptation was BEFORE he even finished reading the book (“I just started reading the last book…”) Of course he may be doing a read-along with Michael Gambon so that could take some time…;0)

Avatar Image says:

I would love to have Alfonso back. I would be even more ecstatic if his favorite cinematographer, Emanuel Lubezki, would be working with him.

Cuaron + Lubezki = Pure Gold

Avatar Image says:

oh!please go ahead .i think with a mixed combination of mr cauron’s imaginative and ever so delightful moviemaking skills and john williams composition for the score,dh movie will create an epic

Avatar Image says:

I REALLY hope he directs the last film! It’d be even better if he directed the last TWO films. PoA was my absolute favorite of all five. His style would be perfect for DH! I just hope they never let Yates near another HP film. Ever.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! He ruined PoA and I will NEVER forgive him!! He took out the whole Marauders sceane, added weird stupid sceans like birds hitting trees and annoying mexiacan heads and the end scean was just STUPID. If he directs PoA it will automatically be trash. I know that’s harsh but it’s true…he butchered a 317pg book imagine what he would do to a 608pg book. Get someone like James Cmeron or Peter Jackson, then we’d have a masterpeice!

Avatar Image says:

Even though I know it wont happen, (I think David Heyman would like to find another director for the seventh) Alfonso Caron made a very intersting film, no matter how you look at it. You either hate it or love it, and Im kinda in the middle.

I think Tim Burton would be great.

Avatar Image says:

Shrunken Heads…Whomping Willow…Cheesey Freeze Frame at the end.

No Thanks!

There’s no doubt that he can handle the dark elements of DH, but will it come at the cost of the emotional context? He added a lot of (annoying) elements to PoA that wasn’t in the book when I would have rather seen money and time it spent on things that were more relevent to the text. I watch PoA the least of all the films.

I personally loved how cleverly Yates incorporated (minor) relevent elements in OotP. They were done in such a subtle fashion which made it more amusing to me.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Any of them but him! I personally want Yates to stay on for DH too. But then again that depends on if he does HBP justice too. But either way any of the director but Cuaron!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think that James Cameron would be good for HP at all. He directed the Terminator and T2 well, but (I may be in the minority film) I can’t stand Titanic! It has got to be one of the most overrated films ever! I only like the special effects! And Tim Burton, though he is a good director, wouldn’t be right either. I have a feeling that he would totally change some things, and he’d make it feel too cartoonishly spooky, if you know what I mean. I doubt he would want to direct anyway, since he probably would have wanted to be the director of the previous films.

Anyway, however bad you think a HP film may be, people, how does it “ruin” the book it is based on? Goodness, people, I agree that the Shrunken Head was really annoying, but goodness. I love the film PoA, and although I don’t like some bits of it, it certainly doesn’t “ruin” the book for me. In fact, it makes me like the book even more! w/e, I think that Cuaron would be great for DH, but there could be someone better out there.

Avatar Image says:

No, No, Nooooooo!!!! PLEASE don’t let him touch Deathly Hallows, Warner Bros. There were some things that he did well (the Time Turner sequence), but there were things he totally ruined—Shrieking Shack scene was only right because the actors were good, but the importance of it was missing, not to mention the Marauder’s Map explanation and that stupid freeze frame ending, with just the feather with the broomstick. It rendered that story line ineffectual, while it was an important part of understanding the characters in the book.

I’m quite surprised and pleased that Yates was able to get the importance of Harry’s relationship with Sirius in OP, as it was not dealt with well enough in POA or GOF.

No more Cuaron—he’s too fascinated with shrunken heads and the Knight Bus to get all the things that happen in Deathly Hallows.

I agree with HPNana—Yates captured the essence of Order of the Phoenix, another of my favorite books. If Yates does well with Half-Blood Prince, why not let him have a go at Deathly Hallows, if he is willing. Some consistency with the end of the series might be a good thing about now, don’t you think? Besides, other than Chris Columbus, I think Yates seems to be the only director who really understands the books for themselves without just seeing an opportunity to do something to “make it their own”.

Avatar Image says:

Excuse me, to all those saying he did the worst jon on PoA, no offence, but ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!!! The small, itty bitty problems like the Shrunken Heads (they weren’t even in the film for more than two minutes!!!!) are of no significance when you compare them to the beautiful movie that was PoA. Best HP movie after OotP, IMO. And he was the best director in the HP series. If I had to pick anyone to do HP7, it’s be either Cuaron or Yates or Peter Jackson. They’ll do it justice.

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear God YES YESYESYEYES!!! Someone get him a contract stack!

Avatar Image says:

If Cuaron directs DH we can expect: (1)Important plot points left out. (2)A complete disregard for series continuity. (3) Lots of arty shots that have nothing to do with the story. (4)Awful action scenes.

Avatar Image says:

They can’t possibly let him near another HP film after what he did to the third one. His films are too artistic, and lack story.

Avatar Image says:

You people don’t understand anything about movies, really. Poa film was never going to be like Poa book and viceversa. CUARON COME BACK AND SAVE US FROM YATES!

Avatar Image says:

I say YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS ! PoA is my favorite movie so far. Even if I’d like to see in it explanation of Marauder’s Map and their creators (that’s the worst failing in the movie)... indeed PoA movie was reach of atmosphere !

Avatar Image says:

ANYONE but Alfonso! (Well, maybe NOT M. Night Bomborama either.) Cuaron’s vision of PoA was so far removed from the book as to be virtually unrecognizable.

Interestingly, though, David Yates’ homages to PoA in the latest film worked far better than the originals . . . go figure.

I personally would like to see Yates do a three-peat!

Avatar Image says:

As for the shrunken heads that was just plain sick. In the novels only dark wizards think shrunken heads are cool, yet Cuaron had them hanging about in normal wizard locations. Harry Potter has enough problems with certain groups saying it is “evil”, without a director including sick jokes based on human remains.

Avatar Image says:

I’m going with the please no people. Prsoner of Azkaban was such a BIG dissapointment for me. And I think he will just butcher Deadly Hollows. So please don’t let him anywhere near Harry Potter films ever again!!!!.

Ps. I am worries about how they will make HP7 in a film, maybe they could make 2 parts of it? That way none of it will go to waste. This book is just to good to be cut up.

Avatar Image says:

Nooooooo, he has no idea of the characters. Kloves is bad enough, but with a director who actually cares for the characters, it is okay. But nooooo, please, hands off HP.

I don´t think Cuaron is a bad director generally, or Kloves is a bad scriptwriter generally. They are great, certainly. But they should never ever be allowed to cooperate in a HP movie.

This is just the humble opinion of a HP fan who loathed the PoA movie.

Avatar Image says:

Oh please no. While I loved his cinematic style, I still think he contributed greatly in the slaughter of the story, especially that of the Marauders. Plus, with the evidence we have at hand, he might have Hermione defeat Voldemort, instead of Harry, and I think artistic license can go only so far…

Avatar Image says:

Lance, you took the words right out of my mouth. CoS (least fav book) was my favorite movie and PoA (absolute fav book) was my least favorite movie.

OotP is now my fav movie so far. Yates rocks and he needs to do the last two.

Avatar Image says:

Cuckoo4tofu and Ashley I’m with you in all your points (except that I do love all the movies, whatever their faults).

Although Cuaron messed with the order a lot in POA it still remains my favourite, OotP my second.

I can see bits that could be cut, but I really, really hope that no important plot details are altered or moved around this time. I think it’s especially important in DH than any other book (most of the other films’ alterations I can live with except the Q World Cup incident in GOF).

NOOOOO!!!

I’m sorry but… PLEASE no! First time I watched PoA, yes I was impressed because it so removed from the trivial style of PS and CoS – but the second, third, etc times I’ve watched it, I’ve just had to cringe at every ridiculos camera angle or expression… the camera angles bother me the most, like Harry and Hermione at the Whomping Willow, the fade circles in and out of fainting, the extreme close-ups of Harry’s vertical face, the removed shots when Harry, Ron and Hermione are going to Hagrid’s (showing clearly that there are no one where Harry and Hermione are supposed to be, yet later Hermione sees herself, um..) and that darn staircase… But other things that bother me are of course the little wanna-be trademarks of Cuaron’s style, such as the cuckoo clock (aaaargh!), the crows, the shrunken heads… and what Cuaron brings out in the actors. Gambon, Dudley, that-mysterious-boy, Hermione’s laughter and The Harry Growl are just a few examples. And when Hagrid looks at Harry in the Buckbeak scene… it’s just not realistic!!!

All that said however, I’ve always maintained that I think Cuaron would have done an excellent job with Chamber of Secrets, and if he’d had the chance to direct that one, it might change everyone’s perceptions of the entire first part of the HP series – I love PS exactly because it’s so childlike, and so REAL – magic is what it’s supposed to be in the books, just an everyday thing, unimpressive to Ron and the others, while Harry is completely overwhelmed by it. But CoS came ot looking the exact same way PS did, and I got bored. The only way for the casual viewer to tell them apart is Hermione’s hair, and considering how wildly the styles of the movies have changed since then, this similarity becomes a flaw. Thank goodness the actors have stayed the same really, otherwise it’d be a completely random assembly of movies. But so I’d been thinking, I think Cuaron could have worked excellently with the quirks that CoS does have, and brought out the scary and mysterious side of that book much better than Columbus did with his innocent and fantastical approach to it. Imagine the Chamber and forest scenes in the hands of Cuaron… I think it cold have been excellent. PoA, on the other hand, needed the normalcy and simplicity to contrast with the time turner plotline, and didn’t need all those cringe-worthy moments to take away from the PLOT. And the same I think can be said for the remaining Potter movies, including Deathly Hallows, which with all that massive plot and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, both from those that die and those that don’t, wouldn’t be fit for a let’s-make-a-spaced-out-movie approach. I do think if Cuaron came back he’d have learned a little from his mistakes… but no, we need the PLOT to be the main focus of 7, and not a director trying to create a unique artistic experience. Not the last movie, please. I’d be happier with Columbus back – not that I think he would be the best choice, but at least he wouldn’t mess around and experiment, he’d tell the story that’s there to tell. I hope Newell or Yates come back for 7, though I’m sure a completely different director could do an amazing job – just PLEASE tell the STORY!

Avatar Image says:

Curaon would probably do a fair job with DH.

But then, the best producer in the world won’t do much good if the warner stick to that 2h30 limit !

Because if some blame the script writer / producer, well, they could have done less cuts in a longer movie.

oh come on, we need a 3h movie, if not 3h30 ! though, right, i know from LOTR experience that 3h30 is a long time to stay in theater, but, hey who cares! And an extended edition can be made with dvd. Or, why not two 1h30 movies.

Avatar Image says:

Since I would like it to be ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’, instead of ‘Hermione Granger and the Deathly Hallows’, I have to say that I would like a new director to direct the last movie. I think Cuaron is great, and visually PoA is very beautiful and it has great things, as a movie I think it is the best one, but as an adaptation, I missed many things, I think he is too focused on Hermione. I’ll never forget how when the most beautiful moment between Harry and Sirius was happening, he put Hermione there and a stupid line that didn’t add anything. And the same happened in OotP movie… PoA should have been focused on Harry, Sirius and Lupin.

Avatar Image says:

I soo hope that WB won’t ask him back. I will say that cinematically POA was beautiful, but to me what was cut out was unbearable. The loss of the explanation of the marauders and the quickie scene in the shreiking shack were such a shame, especially put up with what was added to it… i.e. a werewolf chase scene? Oh and let’s not mention the non-existant extra scenes for the DVD. Didn’t Cuaron once say that the decisions for what to shoot and not shoot were made on set, thus they really didn’t shoot anything extra? That in itself is disappointing to me.

As to Yates, I love OOTP though I still lament WB for telling Yates to cut 45 minutes of it. But with the time he had he told a wonderful story, deep with emotion. Yes there were aspects that could have been better, this is true for all the films, but I think Yates captured the characters and the storyline beautifully. I can’t wait though to see the DVD and see what he had to cut for timing.

Personally if Yates does well with HBP I think he should stay on. Truthfully the only one I’m worried about is WB itself saying that the films need to be shorter. DH needs to be at least 3 hours, and I just hope WB gets that through their heads. Every death needs to be there, and done well, every action sequence, every character. This is the one where they cannot afford to cut and they may have to add details to make up for what’s been cut in previous films.

Avatar Image says:

No, sorry, no. I’m afraid I think the ruined PoA. It was my favorite of the books until HBP, and I couldn’t believe he left out the business about who Prongs was. My first thought after seeing the movie was, “My gosh! Anyone who hadn’t read the book would have thought that Harry had gone insane thinking that stag was his dad. They’d have been completely lost.”That was a major plot point, and it would have taken about 60 seconds to explain: VERY bad decision. My vote: Mike Newell (!) or Yates (if he will do it—3 in a row is a lot to expect of someone who isn’t actually part of the franchise). I adored Jackson’s LotR, but he, Fran, and Phillipa loved that book which kept them, I think, from turning it into “Horror in Elfland.” I would worry about giving him DH for fear he would turn it into LotR II or a horror flick. For DH, it being the most important book in the series, I’d rather go with someone who has proven he understands.

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron finally made a Harry Potter film that I could love. I hate watching the Chris Columbus films. It’s like watching one of those cheesy made for television Hallmark Classics movies.

However, I must say that although he’s the best filmmaker of the Harry Potter series so far, I’d rather see him do other things with his career. As much as I love the Potter movies, he has more to offer.

Avatar Image says:

The only thing I wouldn’t like about Yates returning is if he tries to make the film too short. From what I heard, David Yates had filmed a LOT of scenes that were cut. I think that there will be an extended Snape’s Worst Memory scene that has Lily in it, because one of the film’s promo pics has Lily. I already loved OOTP, but I don’t get why Yates didn’t include those scenes. We get a perfect director who films things from the book, and ends up cutting them because he thinks that 2 hrs. 30 minutes is too long. I think that Yates would be great for DH.

I say, once again, that I think that Cuaron did an excellent job with PoA. Although I don’t think that the Shrunken Heads, etc. needed to be added, and I don’t think Flitwick’s appearance needed to be changed, I really loved what he did with PoA. I loved the scene with Aunt Marge (the lady who played her was EXACTLY who I had imagined in the role before).

I have to say that out of all of the films, CoS is the worst. I don’t dislike the film, but it is much too kiddie and boring. It was TOO faithful to the book, so faithful that it wasn’t really a film, just an illustration of the book. Some of you fans might want that, but that’s not what I want. PoA, OOTP, and even GoF (which is hugely disappointing, in my opinion) can stand as films, and they’re overally faithful to the story without copying it word-for-word. PS/SS was a really good start, and I think that Columbus was right for that film. But by CoS, his style had gotten old and boring in my opinion. He didn’t really attempt to get the best out of Dan and Co.’s acting, either. I don’t see how anyone (except for someone who wants EVERYTHING to be in the film exactly the way it is in the book) could want Columbus to return. He would’ve done an awful job with PoA.

There’s one thing for certain, DH will have to be 3 hrs. MINIMUM. It’ll be a joke if WB makes this into a 2 hrs. 30 minute film. Everything in DH is important. A lot of fans like DH the best now (me included), so WB are going to have to be smart on this one.

Avatar Image says:

“Oh and by the way, before you guys start cursing Cuaron for not adapting Azkaban correctly – even though I completely disagree – maybe you should turn your attentions to Steve Kloves, who was the one who actually wrote the screenplay.” Posted by Brandon on July 29, 2007 @ 04:39 PM

Having read the PoA script, and noting the changes, cuts, and appalling edits made apparently at the DIRECTOR’s behest, I am laying the blame to PoA’s appalling lack of fidelity to the source book solely at the feet of Alfonso Cuaron.

I will grant him that cinematically, parts of PoA were lovely to look at (and CHILDREN OF MEN is a marvelous film in its own right.) HOWEVER, it was NOT PRISONER OF AZKABAN told in a conherent and faithful fashion, but directorial INDULGENCE with a capital “I”.

No more of Cuaron’s “artistic liscence” imposed on the Potterverse, please.

Avatar Image says:

Please… Don’t!!! It’ll be worst than PoA,He could change the whole thing, DH could be ours worst nightmare after this amanzing time reading and rereading it. Please,please WB don’t do it! Bring back Columbus, please!!! It will be the last, it just fits to end with who started…

Avatar Image says:

Dumblemort—-Yates did film a lot of extra scenes that didn’t make the final cut, he was quoted in an interview stating that he had 3 hours of film and was TOLD to cut 45 minutes. So, I blame WB for this. At least we know that there should be a good chunk of extra’s on the DVD.

I personally love all the movies (including the often despised COS), but OOTP was definatly a huge improvement on all the past films. And I am in complete agreement that WB needs to realize that 3 hrs will be a bare minimum for the last film….let’s just hope they finally get the point!!

Avatar Image says:

No please no PoA was the worst movie plz no dont let him David yates did an unbeleavable job on OotP plz let him take 7 like he is doin 6 plz not this guy plz

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t seen the whole film, but I just watched a “Children of Men” battle scene. All I know is, whether or not you think Cuaron should direct DH, he would do a PERFECT job with the Battle of Hogwarts. The cinematography was great! I think that the battle should be filmed with a handheld camera, like some of OOTP was. When the camera is shaky, it makes the whole think MUCH more intense and exciting, in my opinion.

anotherweasley, you’re right. WB did want Yates to cut a lot out, but even he himself said that he wanted this to end up being the shortest HP movie, although he didn’t want to cut some of the scenes.

And, of course people are title to their own opinions, but I still don’t see how ANYONE could want Chris Columbus to return. He would make the film to light-hearted and sweet. Just a few of the scenes I’m most excited for in DH are: the Death Eater chasing scene (when Harry is being taken from Privet Drive), Malfoy Manor, Gringotts, and the Battle of Hogwarts.

Avatar Image says:

I am a huge movie buff, and I like to see good direction, but at this point, I don’t care about that. I just want someone who will stay true to the books. PoA, my favorite book, was the worst movie. It was out of sync and gave too much away too early. I’m already a bit worried about HBP since OotP was kind of screwed up. DH is probably the most important book, please don’t let him mess it up!

Avatar Image says:

POA was a re-make of YYMT and very artsy! I want Jo’s story abut Harry and how he overcame V ,not Cuaron’s version.

Let Cauron do the film for the Hogwarts Encyclopedia,lol!

I LOVE art house films, but the series needs to end as JKR persieves it , not dicombobluated and distored.

PLEASE ! No Steven Spielberg either!

Avatar Image says:

He would destroy the Deathly Hallows as he did the Prisoner of Azkaban with his obsession about sexual relations.

Avatar Image says:

In my opinion, of all the “dark movies” Mike Newell did the best book adaption with Goblet of Fire. Can we please have him back for Deathy Hallows????

Avatar Image says:

please… please… please… come back alfonso and save us from this mess created by yates…

bring us back the MAGIC… and make the actor act like the people we read about in the books…

Avatar Image says:

I would love it if he made DH, POA was the best book adaptation out of the five movies, so far, though OotP is a close follower. I agree that his style is great for the tone that the book sets, and as long as nobody who worked in the fourth one collaborates on Deathly Hallows, I think it’d all be good. God, I hated Goblet of Fire. there was pure corruption in the making of that movie. Don’t believe me? See the “making of”s in the DVD. Not one mention of JK Rowling, her books, or the screenwriter.

Cuaron rulz. OH SO MUCH.

End. Of.

Avatar Image says:

It seems the few supporters of his work on poa don’t have anything to back up their argument. As far as ‘he rulz’ and other posts are concerned, back up your claim with some good. reasons why. He butchered the story and someone who truly respects jk and this all too important last story cannot afford to miss details and give it his own little flair because he wants to. It needs a respoectful director who will also fight to keep the movie long.

Avatar Image says:

I agree that he had something the franchise needed and although he made an incredibly rich movie it is not the kind of carelessness needed for the last film.

Avatar Image says:

movies can only be a certain length. most people (not myself) have issues with seeing even 3 hour movies. it’s bad for business, because the longer the movie, the less showings you can fit in a day, the less ticket sales. movies are just adaptations of books. not carbon copies. out of all the directors, cuaron captured the character emotions by far the greatest. he really understands teenagers. just watch y tu mama tambien and you’ll see. character development i think is far more interesting than including every minuscule detail of plot.

Avatar Image says:

To be honest, I’m sick and tired of hearing about how he would like to direct one of the last movies. We know! Stop hinting!

I would absolutely prefer Yates, who did change things around but made an excellent movie! Hell, Yates added Percy and Dawlish when he didn’t have to. Which gets my vote. :)

Avatar Image says:

I don’t disagree with the fact that he may truly be in tune with teens emotions and the nuances with respect to teen angst. I truly did enjoy some of the relationship spark that cauron brought.

However a director who wishes to not alienate so many need not be so left of course …and esp. Where this last film is concerned we need someone with not only style but respect to the millions that both the books and the movies cater to. Nobody is saying we need to have a 3 hour plus movie but I strongly feel there is only so much editing that can be done before you lose the essense of everything.

I’m sure with respect to the lotr franchise the fans can be riveted…the execs happy, and the movies making money to last years even if they are long.

Avatar Image says:

I am going to show my relative ignorance. Prisoner of Azkaban was the last movie I saw without reading the book first. I ALWAYS agree that the book is better than the movie but I did see the movie with no preconceived notions and I thought it was fine, my favorite movie until OoTP.

I have read GOF, OoTP, HBP,and now DH until some of the covers are literally falling off. I admit to less devotion to the earlier books, particularly the first two, that I read AFTER seeing the movie. I became interested in reading the books after I realized the movies were becoming darker and the darkness in PoA was partially responsible for me picking up the next book and becoming obsessed.

I see a lot of division here of I LOVE HIM and I HATE HIM but not a lot of specifics of WHY.

Can someone give me some specifics of WHY they consider PoA to be a noticeably worse movie than any of the others?

I personally was more offended by GoF because Mike Newell took almost all the plot and emotional development out and turned it into an action film, going from one contest to another, until finally reaching Voldemort’s return.

I know no one liked the shrunken head, except Jo, that is a given, but what else was more wrong with him than any of the others?

Avatar Image says:

PERFECT!!! He’s pure magic with combining playfulness and seriousness!! I’ve been looking for his to come back!! How can you not enjoy the little touches of the whole magical environment, such as the Whomping Willow getting medieval on a twittering, annoying little blue jay? He brought much-needed LIFE to the series after C.Columbus did all he could to squelch it! LET THE SHRUNKEN HEADS BACK IN!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, now that you mention it I didn’t particularly care for the Whomping Willow killing the poor little bird.

I also didn’t care for Dumbledore slapping Ron’s injured leg but since Michael Gambon has kept that behavior up ever since I was putting that more on him than the directors. But I guess since he started that mess in PoA and got away with it the problem may have been a part of the whole approach to the film.

I still didn’t like Mike Nichols making GoF into nothing but an action film.

Avatar Image says:

I vote for Tim Burton for DH! Dark fantasy is his specialty.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, God, please, NO! Anyone but him!!! PoA was the WORST of the movies!!!

Avatar Image says:

Reason I think Cuaron did a horrible job, in no particular order: a. Dumbledore doing things like absentmindedly slapping Ron on his injured leg. b. Those horrid scenes where Lupin and Harry meander through the woods or sit on the bridge. Not only were those scenes incredibly over indulgetn in putrid hollywood romance, they were far off from the books. Lupin and Harry were close, but there was still a sense of a teacher/student relationship. c. The horribly acted scene where Harry cries after hearing about Sirius’s supposed betrayal and cries out “he was their friend” in a rather over dramatic, pathetic way. d. Is this the movie where Ron and Hermione kiss? Obviously, we all know that never happened. Again, over the top and so Hollywood. e. A chorus sings “double double, toil and trouble” t the start of the opening feast. (Sorry Cuaron, that’s Macbeth, not Harry Potter) f. He neglects to introduce Cedric Diggory or Cho Chang, which we all know have key roles in the books and films later. g. The Showdown in the Shrieking Shack goes from almost three whole chapters to a few short minutes.

So, yeah, I didn’t like what he did with it.

Avatar Image says:

cuaron is a wonderful director and did great on POA! so he took a few creative liberties – who doesn’t, especially in the potter films? (cough – I don’t remember CHO CHANG being the tattletale in OOTP, do you?) he put a dark spin on POA and it came out great. unfortunately all I hear about in interviews from the cast is how great yates was to work with, plus he’s on board for HBP so… that’s two not in favor for cuaron =(

Avatar Image says:

As for me, I’d really like it if Deathly Hallows is directed by Christopher Columbus. Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets are my most favorite HP movies (along with Order of the Phoenix). I think Columbus captures every scene in book 1 and 2 very nicely and in a very detailed manner. His movies are by far closest to the true form of the books, and that is what I want to see in HP movies. He started HP movies with movie 1 and 2, so why don’t we let him end the series with his final touch on the final movie!

Avatar Image says:

Please please please please! I love PoA so much, even if yes it isn’t exactly like the book but it was a great MOVIE! I can’t even believe everyone who says they hate PoA because it doesn’t follow the book closely enough/ leaves out important plot stuff but thinks that Yates did 100 times better? Really? OotP was really butchered, even for a book as long as it was. I think Cuaron would match up with the tone of DH perfectly.

Avatar Image says:

All right, I have a slightly changed opinion here. While I think that Cuaron was wonderful with PoA, I don’t really think he should direct DH. DH cannot really be altered in the way that the previous books can. btw, Alfonso did consider putting a graveyard around Hogwarts, and we find out in the sixth film that Dumbledore is the first headmaster to be buried at Hogwarts. I do agree that he focuses a teeny bit too much on his “vision” than the actual story.

But overall, PoA was a really good film adaptation of the book. It was overall faithful without having to be a word-for-word movie. I really love what Cuaron did with the quidditch match, and I don’t mind the Dementors flying (although I think that gliding is more intimidating). Although he certainly handles “darkness” well, I don’t think that Cuaron should direct DH. I do think, however, that he would do wonderful with the Battle of Hogwarts, and that he would need to hire his favorite cinematographer (forgot the name).

I really would love for Yates to direct DH. Sure, OOTP had its faults (like ALL the films do), but it was a wonderful film. It was a great accomplishment for a director who had never directed a feature film prior to it. Yates didn’t even alter a whole lot of things. Sure, a lot was cut, but Yates remained faithful without copying the book, and some of the changes he made were good and interesting (the film’s opening comes to mind, when Dudley and his gang meet Harry). Besides, Yates was forced to cut or trim a lot of things (Snape’s Worst Memory included), so a lot isn’t his fault.

I LOVED the opening of OOTP. It just felt so dark, gloomy, and realistic, with was how the book’s opening felt. I love how it expands to show the huge field, and then we see Harry walking to the swing. Also, the scene where Dudley and his gang taunt Harry is a mirror of real life. Bullies like to be seen bullying, specifically by other kids (if the bully is a kid, that is).

Anyway, I would prefer Yates over Cuaron for DH. I have yet to see how Yates would do a war at Hogwarts, though. But to be honest, a lot of scenes in OOTP were filmed with a handheld camera, like the scene where Harry and Dudley are running, and the scene where Harry is chasing Bellatrix. I like the “shaky” effect that those scenes have, which is a lot like how Cuaron does his battle scenes. If Yates would do a battle scene like that, then it would be great.

And by the way, I’d rather have Cuaron direct DH over Newell, and Yates direct over Cuaron, and Newell direct over Columbus. That might sound confusing, but you can work it out. Overall, I would barf if Columbus directs DH. Just, ugh. {XP Columbus’s style isn’t right for the film. If you want a film that focus’s solely on adventure, mystery, and fun, but no darkness or emotion, then Columbus is fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

No, Keep Alfonso in Mexico. I don’t know if anyone has thought of it but Tim Burton would rock Deathly Hallows… and for music make John Williams and Danny Elfman work together. This would rock. I’ve had this idea for half-prince but for deathly hallows it woud work

nah man, peter jackson!

Avatar Image says:

I saw POA on again on dvd and OOP in the theatre this weekend. Alfonso did a much more credible job than Yates. Visuals of POA are far superior to OOP (Hogwarts looked too bright).Yes, Alfonso made some mistakes in POA, but on the DVD his successes are far greater than any thing Yates did in OOP. Chris Columbus did a better job in SS and COS than Yates

Avatar Image says:

I have to say that I disagree with you, lisa (I’m not saying your opinion is wrong, you are entitled to it). I think that Daivd yates did better than Alfonso with visuals. Alfonso kept the film looking dark all the time, whereas Yates knew when to switch the color schemes. I honestly don’t think Chris Columbus did a better job than Yates. I thank Columbus for remaining faithful, but he was a bit “too” faithful (at least with CoS). Well, the thing is that Columbus didn’t seem to bring any kind of emotion to the movies. He focused on the mystery/fun part of the story instead of the characters’ emotions. Also, the trio’s acting isn’t all that great in the first two films. I’m a HP fan, but I look for certain things in films. For one thing, I want the film to be a film that is faithful to the book, but not the EXACT same as the book. I also grade acting on a scale of 1 to 10. I think that in the first two films, the adult acting is great as always, and a few of the younger cast (like Tom Felton and Matthew Lewis) are really good. But I don’t think that the trio’s acting was wonderful in the first two, mainly Dan’s. He’s certainly much better now, though, probably since he takes acting a lot more seriously than he did back then.

Avatar Image says:

Tempted? Lovely to hear that. I would like to see a real epic film story more than cutted giant trailer (I am very sorry Mr. Yates).

To: Warner Bros, JK Rowling

This petition encourages you to consider Academy Award Nominated director and screenwriter Alfonso Cuarón for director of the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Cuarón’s Prison of Azkaban stood apart from other films in the series because of his unique vision for the picture and the incredible sense of atmosphere that he created. Cuarón’s himself has said, when asked about directing the final picture, “I would be really tempted because it was really beautiful.”

We, as dedicated fans of the books and films, ask you to please consider Cuarón for director of this final installment in this beloved series.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron RUINED what was arguably the best book of the series. Please, please, please God don’t let him direct “Hallows”... I would second those who want Peter Jackson to direct. Just watch the battle scenes from the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and then imagine what he could do with “The Battle of Hogwarts”!

Avatar Image says:

I believe that Cuaron is a great director. I also confess im not a master in film, but i do love the book and i think that cuaron did give a bit of a twist and exitment which we all love so much from the books. I agree that this movie is going to be able to explain with detail everyting that’s going on.. but the success of movie 7 depends so much on that of movie 6, due to the (spoiler alert) events that happen that leave everyone what was the real reason dumbledore died..which is the biggest twist in the story.. Also, i think that for the best it would be to make 2 movies of the last book, that way it would keep the most details, leave fans happy and im sure that WB would love it as an excuse to make a couple extra billion bucks.. but that’s just my opinion. thanks.

Avatar Image says:

Who better? The Prisoner of Azkaban, for me, packed the most powerful emotional punch. He uses images in a way that goes right to the emotional heart of the story. The Dementors swirling around the prone bodies of Harry and Sirius on the shores of the lake is but one example. Failing Alfonso Cuaron, it might be interesting to see what Guillermo del Toro, director of ‘Pan’s Labryrinths’ would make of the final film.

Avatar Image says:

Yes! He should direct. Guillermo Del Toro would probably be even better though.

Avatar Image says:

del toro is too morbid for harry potter.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe all the directors from the HP other films should come back and make one fantastic, huge budget 3.5 to a 4 hour film that should suffice all the amazing fans!!!!

Yates Or someone totally new to HP

PLEASE WB

Avatar Image says:

Dear God NO! Dont let him butcher another fine book! I spent have of my time during the first film explaining to others what was going on and when the DVD came out I had to actually pause it many times just to explain what was going on to those in the room with us…it was the worst movie by far and one can only hope that whom ever they get to direct the DH that person wont worry abt time limits, killing blue birds, shrunken heads, huge clocks and the fade in and out of sceens as if we were watching Star Wars….ANY one besides him!

Avatar Image says:

Please no shrunken heads!!!!!!!!! Watch there be shrunken heads fighting off death eaters or something.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! NO NO NO! We CANNOT have another PoA for DH!!! PoA was the only one I didn’t go back to see a third time because I was getting bored with it! I think I will cry if he gets it…

Avatar Image says:

Yes!!!!I´m glad.I think he realy underestand what JKR means. He can put her fantastics ideas into a high level of beauty. I´m just waiting for the “Last Duel”. He´s a real poet.

Avatar Image says:

They need to make book 7- TWO MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

NO!! PLEASE NO!!! i mean, he was okay for POA i guess but NOT for DH. mike newell, david yates, or- i dont kno… steven spielberg for DH!!!

Avatar Image says:

ok scratch mike newell on my last comment. he was really good, but not for DH.

Avatar Image says:

Prisoner of Azkaban has been the only film to portray what the story really looks like in my mind. I loved the atmosphere of the film. I think Cuaron would be excellent for Deathly Hallows. I just wish they could make a 3 hour film instead of leaving so much stuff out. I don’t like it when they make too many changes either, like they did in OoTP.

Avatar Image says:

I would agree on making DH two movies, but then we would have to wait too long for it. I would rather they made it a longer film. Fans wouldn’t mind watching HP for 3 hours. But that would probably affect the rating of the film and leave too many fans out of the loop. It wouldn’t affect me,though. ;)

Avatar Image says:

yes he totally must do this movie, the third movie is (in my humble opinion) by far the best.

Avatar Image says:

That man should NOT be allowed anywhere near a Harry Potter set. PoA is still the only DVD I haven’t purchased. He so wrecked what should have been a great film. I agree Peter Jackson or even the likes of Speilberg would do a superior job.

Avatar Image says:

The first two where my favorite movies, But This director did not cut half as much out of azkaban as yates did out of Order of the phoneix so I’d much rather it be him then yates slaughter another potter movie after he leaves a bloodshed of broken movie clips once he’s finished with half blood prince. Although I will say you will never get a great harry potter movie unless they get more then 2 hours of film to make, It just can’t be done in that short of time.

Avatar Image says:

MAYBE, if you can’t get anyone else. The books have changed my life i loved them so much but I don’t think they director should cut out half the plot like the other movies did. Just make the movie last four hous, no one will care, it’s the best story ever told!!

Avatar Image says:

I read a quote by JKR that basically says Kloves came up with the shrunken heads, so people please stop blaming Cuaron for that. Jo also admitted she loved them and wished she had written that up herself.

Avatar Image says:

I personally think that David Yates should stay, but I’m going to wait until HBP to see if I’m absolutely sure about that. He brought a sense of originality and grittiness to the movie, and I really liked it. I liked how the beginning of the movie showed Privet Drive from a very high view, and then it showed Harry walking in a field. I loved how you hear a radio-person talking.

Alfonso is my second favorite HP director. I think he saved the films, to be honest. I respect Chris Columbus because of the details he included, but he was a bit too detailed, leaving out emotion, etc., and focusing mainly on the adventure/mystery part of the story. He would have “candied” PoA to much if he had directed it.

I would rather have Yates over Cuaron, and I hope that, as long as HBP is done really well, that Yates stays for DH. But DH has to be at least 3 hours, seriously.

Avatar Image says:

POA was great in terms of cinematography and style, but it lacked a lot of character developments and sometimes got it even wrong! (i mean case in point pink power granger, hippie Dumbledore, and sidestepped Ron). DH is pretty much concerned with the latter (i mean if youre really REALLY an HP fan you would be more concerned with this…) so NO to CUARON! Please!

Avatar Image says:

NO NO NO NO AND NO. Cuaron again? are you maddy? did you want the last book turns the worst movie? YATES must continue directing the potter movies, he did a great job in order of the phonix. OoTP was the best movie i ever seen!

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOO!!! I HATED (and I wish it would let me underline HATED) the PoA movie! In my opinion he has been the worst director of the Harry Potter movies! Adding the STUPID talking heads and what-not!!! If I was advising WB, I’d tell them that he made the film HORRIBLE and should not be trusted with the last film. It should be the best! Get Peter Jackson! GO FOR THE GOLD NOT THE MOLD!

Avatar Image says:

Please don’t let this man anywhere near Deathly Hallows! He turned what had been my favorite book into a barely watchable movie. Yates is the man…he did a marvelous job with Order of the Phoenix

Avatar Image says:

No, he shouldn’t come back. While Cuaron created a visually interesting world – he left out the essence of the story of book 3 and dismissed it as “letting the viewer figure it out”. The look of HP has been established now – keep this guy away from the story. Yates and the new screenwriter did an incredible job. Keep them, they are gold.

Avatar Image says: He is the best man, definitively, I really loved the PoA movie, although the book was not that good. The first two movies were kinda lame, too long, not thrilling, boring, and GoF was awesome, but not as good as the book, and OotP, well, it was balanced, not a great book, a good movie. I really loved what he did for the movie, the extra elements he put, the Dementors, Buckbeak, everything! And also the acting, you can see the difference between the first 2 movies, and then, the huge difference, he did that, he worked very hard to improve the acting of the cast. I think he would be great, who cares if he change or cut something, I mean, the book is so big, any director would do the same anyway. Also the music, I hope John Williams return, I don't know why he was replaced, the music from the last 2 movies was so normal, nothing special, nothing to remember.

Write a Reply or Comment