Emma Watson Writes More on New Role in “Ballet Shoes”

278

Aug 13, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

On the heels of an official BBC press release about her new movie “Ballet Shoes,” actress Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) has updated her official website again with a few thoughts on her blog regarding her new role as Pauline in the this new film. Emma says she “fell in love with Ballet Shoes,” and goes on to note that she shares “a lot of Pauline’s passions and insecurities.” Emma Watson also writes “I have started taking some ballet training, which I love, and yes my hair is going blonde :)

From the press release, screen writer Heidi Thomas is quoted as saying ” This is a captivating cast, worthy in every way of Streatfeild’s gorgeous book.Emma Watson is a magical young actress. We are thrilled to have her on board.”You can see the entire cast listing below, which includes fellow Harry Potter actors including as we told you earlier, Richard Griffiths who portrays Uncle Vernon in the Harry Potter films. “Ballet Shoes” is set to be broadcast on BBC One during the Christmas holidays.

• Dame Eileen Atkins (Cranford Chronicles)
  • Emilia Fox (Silent Witness)
  • Gemma Jones (Bridget Jones’s Diary, also portrays Madam Pomfrey in the Harry Potter films )
  • Robert Hardy (Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge in the Harry Potter films)
  • Lucy Cohu (The Queen’s Sister)
  • Harriet Walter (Bright Young Things)
  • Lucy Boynton (Miss Potter)
  • Yasmin Paige (Sarah Jane Adventures)
  • Emma Watson, who plays Hermione Grainger [sic] in the Harry Potter films.
  • They join Victoria Wood, Richard Griffiths , and Marc Warren in the feature-length film of the classic novel by Noel Streatfeild, which will transmit on BBC One.

34 Responses to Emma Watson Writes More on New Role in “Ballet Shoes”

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know the book; anyone got an idea of how much dancing she’ll be required to do? Because if she only just started ballet for the first time recently… Yikes…

Avatar Image says:

Ooh, the book is amazing! There isn’t that much ballet, her character is more of a stage actress when it comes down to it, I’m sure the basic training will be enough.

Avatar Image says:

oops- granger spelt wrong.

I love how they call Emma a “magical” actress. Nice choice of words—this sounds like it’ll be interesting to see her outside of HP.

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, sounds interesting. But will the ballet training be enough? As an HP fan and a dancer, I hope that she’ll pull off another incredible performance. :)

Avatar Image says:

VERY GLAD Emma decided to forgo her time off for “Ballet Shoes”. I wish her ALL THE BEST in her new role!

Avatar Image says:

Fun to see her blonde =)

Avatar Image says:

She seems to be a natural for this role! I wish her all the luck in the world! :)

Avatar Image says:

oh my GOSH!!! ballet shoes changed me life when i was little, not kidding!

i started dancing because of it and am now a flamenco dancer of 10 years!

i can’t WAIT to see this!

Avatar Image says:

im so excited for her, the books are SO great. Does anyone know if the movie will be played in the states. I read it was only for TV?

Avatar Image says:

Is it really good that she’s going blonde? What about Hermione? I don’t think I’m okay with a blonde Hermione…

Avatar Image says:

Why would it lead to a blond Hermione? Ballet Shoes is a one off and will only take a few weeks to make. After that she will wash the dye out or dye it her own colour if she is in a hurry. They plan these things carefully! They may do her HP scenes later in the HP shoot so she may not be needed at the start in late September.

Avatar Image says:

Is there a cast list that shows what PARTS each of these great actors is playing in Ballet Shoes?

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know if this movie is gonna be shown somewhere else besides BBC 1? I hope that some TV channel realises what heck of a movie this could be. I am still down because Driving Lessons didn’t reach here…dammit!

Avatar Image says:

Wendy, the press release has all the info;

Pauline (Emma Watson) Petrova (Yasmin Paige) Posy Fossil (Lucy Boynton) Great Uncle Matthew (Richard Griffiths) Sylvia (Emilia Fox) Victoria Wood plays Nana Dame Eileen Atkins plays Madame Fidolia Marc Warren plays Mr Simpson Harriet Walter plays Dr Smith Gemma Jones plays Dr Jakes Robert Hardy plays Sir Donald Houghton Lucy Cohu plays Theo Dane

Avatar Image says:

Maybe i’m just making this up but i thought somewhere it said she danced…Nathalie??? Well i can’t wait to see this movie…blonde…hmmm?...don’t know what to think…but truly i dont care what hair color she has as long as the acting good!!...

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I was wondering about how much ballet is in the movie as well. I mean, I taught ballet right after college and talk about a difficult discipline! I took for twelve years at once a week, then in college everyday for two hours for four years. Geesh. Can’t imagine just starting then doing it in a movie. Of course, much can be done with editing.

Avatar Image says:

We are very anxious to see HP’s new released film. We are also very exited to watch the ballet dance of Emma Watson. She is so pretty in the HP and the goblet of fire. We wish for the grand success of the film.

Avatar Image says:

Emma only needs basic ballet training for this role. She won’t need to do too much dancing because her character Pauline is the one who wants to be an actress. It’s probably just so she has some basic moves.

The hair dye can be washed out or changed so I don’t know why people are worrying about that.

This project will probably be wrapped by mid September, and Emma probably isn’t needed on the set of HBP until October anyway (in the books, Ron and Hermione don’t have huge parts, it’s mostly Harry).

So CONGRATS and good luck to Emma and I can’t wait to see Ballet Shoes on BBC1 this Christmas.

Avatar Image says:

I thought I read somewhere that Emma had dancing lessons as a child? I remember thinking, when I first heard this news, that she’d be perfect for the role. Perhaps she’s just having a refresher course? Though how much dancing she’ll actually do will depend on the screen play. Good luck to her!

Avatar Image says:

Now might be a good time to email BBC America and ask if they plan to carry it, and if not, request that they put it on their schedule.

Avatar Image says:

I promise I am not a troll, or a random flame merchant, I simply have an undoubtedly unpopular question. Why do people insist on pretending that Emma Watson is a good actress? Unlike Daniel Radcliff and Rupert Grint, who have actually gotten somewhat better at stumbling through their lines with unnatural clumsiness and clunkiness, Watson’s diction and clarity of speech seem to get worse with every film. She comes off as snotty rather than pedantic, as the character is written, and is still, especially now that she’s reached teen idol status,physically wrong for the part. I can’t imagine wanting to see her in anything else, simple because she is not a good or even decent actress, but merely the girl who gets to read Hermione’s lines.

Avatar Image says:

Unfortunately for you, LeggusKultain, the bigwigs at the BBC do not agree with you. IOW Your opinions about Emma’s acting are not shared by all, and obviously not by the team that put that cast list together. So feel free to avoid watching Ballet Shoes (or anything else Emma is in) if her acting is that uncomfortable for you to watch.

Avatar Image says:

Firestar I read she has been pretty involved in dancing at school and is some sort of leader in a dance club?? I might be wrong about that, but I know she became interested after those dance classes in GOF.

From the cast list it looks like it will be a high quality production all round. Hopefully, it’s a sign that the BBC are living up to their past good name rather than trying to dumb down by using ‘popular’ rather than good actors.

Avatar Image says:

Has anybody Yasmin Paige or Lucy Boynton act before? I’d really like to know if they’ll be good for Petrova and Posy. As for Emma Watson’s acting … well, I’m willing to see if she can get back on track. She has talent, I think, but I think she’s misusing it in HP.

Avatar Image says:

She’s a money name because she was cast by essentially blind luck in Sorcerer’s Stone—if she were just another face in the business she’d not have a prayer at the BBC or any other ‘bigtime’ gig.

Avatar Image says:

I agree that Emma is the weakest of the trio. I actually think that the first movie was her best… and after that, it seems she’s trying to way too hard. But I’m so excited that she’s going to be working on something else before HBP because I think that really might be what helped Dan and Rupert develop their acting skills. I think an environment where she isn’t “Hermione”, one where she hasn’t been a star since 10 or 11 might just be the thing for her. And I wish her the very best of luck.

Avatar Image says:

Yasmin Paige is great! I’ve seen her in the Sarah Jane Mysteries and think she will be excellent as Petrova. I haven’t seen Lucy Boynton act, but she got some very good reviews for “Miss Potter”.

Of the three girls, Posy (Lucy Boynton) is the one that most needs to be able to dance, because she’s meant to be a naturally talented ballerina. The others don’t need to have fantastic dancing skills, because the story doesn’t require them. So I think Emma will be fine.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Bluemoon. I was going to say the same, that Dan and Rupert have improved because of their other work experiences, so I think this will be good for Emma.

Avatar Image says:

Emma Watson is only a household name among Harry Potter fans in the UK, not among the general public; she’s more famous in the USA and France. So this idea that the casting directors for Ballet Shoes only brought Emma on board because she’s popular would backfire on them if it were true anyway. The BBC has it’s reputation to uphold after a few years of the ‘cheap ‘n’ cheerful’. Also, Victoria Wood (who is also in this project) would NEVER work with people she didn’t think were up to the job, anyone who knows anything about her knows this. So let’s face the fact that not everyone thinks Emma is such a bad actress, and others will believe that she has great potential and are not so quick to write her off.

Avatar Image says:

i can’t wait to see emma in ballet shoes! i just know she’s gonna be amazing!!! the book was really good, so i can’t wait to see the pages come to life!

Avatar Image says:

I have read all of the Harry Potter books, several times, including the movies that are out. I have grown to love these characters.I have an almost maternal feeling for the kids in the HP series;and all the faith in the world that Emma will shine as well as grow with this upcoming movie. I’m anxious to see her in it; and anything else for that matter that any of the HP characters will be in. Good Luck Emma, you have my Love and prayers.

Avatar Image says:

i cant wait to see Ballet Shoes! i heard she’s dying her hair all blonde wonder how thats going to look…..

well thanks for the post _

To S.Benj

Victoria Wood might be selective, but how selective can she be when she is another actress in a BBC production, she does not deceide who gets cast and who doesn’t. Chances are she probably has not even met EW.

Let’s wait till the movie is done and we’ll see just how talented and how good a performer EW is or isn’t.

Avatar Image says:

Can’t wait to see this mostly coz lucy boynton is in my class and is a friend of mine shes a good dancer but has never done ballet befuore has spent the hole holiday learnin and also im in it as a girl in the ballet class i start filmin nxt wk! And the stuff we hav 2 do isnt that hard! Emma doesn’t need to do much dancin coz her character acts mostly :D

xoxoxox