Rumor Alert: J.K.Rowling, Crime Writer?

Aug 19, 2007

Posted by SueTLC

In a rumor that is spreading like wildfire tonight, many readers have owled about a report in the Sunday Times newspaper claiming that author J.K. Rowling is at work writing a crime novel. This report (similar to previous claims that Jo might someday write a mystery novel) stems from an excerpt from a new profile of Scottish writer Ian Rankin, who lives in the same neighborhood area in Edinburgh as J.K. Rowling, and is quoted in the Times article with the following:

Rankin’s wife spotted JKR the other day “scribbling away in a cafe”, he said last week, speculating whether she was “writing her Edinburgh detective novel”.

The Associated Press is also running with this, and this report has a slightly more definitive quote from Ian Rankin, saying:

“My wife spotted her writing her Edinburgh criminal detective novel,” the newspaper, which was available late Saturday, quoted Rankin as saying.

Rankin, famous for his own police novels set in the historic Scottish city, said he had not discussed the project with Rowling personally, and declined to reveal how he had learned about her plans.It is great that she has not abandoned writing or Edinburgh cafes,” Rankin said.

The office of Rowling’s literary agent Christopher Little was not immediately available to comment late Saturday.

Again, while Jo has stated in interviews since the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that she was at work on two things (“one for children, one not for children”), please keep this very much in the rumor category for now. Thanks to all who emailed!

70 Responses to Rumor Alert: J.K.Rowling, Crime Writer?

Avatar Image says:

I really hope that she one day returns to the world of Potter.

Avatar Image says:

wow! that’s so cool! I hope it’s true. A mystrey novel would be awesome!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know what to think of this!

Part of me reeeeally wants to read a book by Jo that is definitively for adults, to see what she can do when she doesn’t have to watch her tongue all the time – you know what I mean? But then it almost hurts me to think ofher already abandonding the world of HP… not that I wouldn’t expect it, but it’s still saddening.

Though I suppose for now I shouldn’t bother thinking too much of this at all seeing as it’s still 100% a rumor, yeah?

Avatar Image says:

Part of me still can’t believe that Harry Potter really is over…

A crime novel does sound interesting, though. Based on what we see in the HP series, Jo can really weave in small clues and create intriguing plot lines that could work in a mystery or crime novel. I’ll probably read everything that she ends up writing, just because of how much I’m into Harry Potter, but nothing will be like it again…:(

Avatar Image says:

Cool. From past experience, she’ll no doubt (if she is really writing a crime novel) write a complex plot that will take everyone for surprise. Everyone whose worried about the end…don’t worry, she promised an encyclopedia…relax…

Avatar Image says:

I very much doubt she would go right back into writing so soon after Deathly Hallows. I mean she did say she was taking a break and I would think that she would be taking ful advantage of it instead of focusing on more work.

awesome!

Avatar Image says:

WOOOW…AWESOME…more of JKR ! ! !

Avatar Image says:

Is it really so soon after Deathly Hallows for her? Obviously writing is her passion, a love… and she finished the actual creative writing process for DH a while ago.

For all we know, it is just a journal or writing exercise for her, but I DO think she would be GREAT at crime or mystery… actually, HP could be considered a mystery!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I think that Jo would make a fantastic crime novelist. Just think of all the juicy plot twist and detail that she would put into it.

Avatar Image says:

She finished DH months ago and to be frank Jo is a writer I can’t see her not writing for a long span of time. If any of this is true she could just be writing for herself for now, and have no plans to get it published anytime soon. It would be neat to read though.

Avatar Image says:

As soon as it comes out I’m all over it. I think it’s, to coin a british term, BRILLIANT! It’s quite the natural transition don’t you think?

Avatar Image says:

I can’t see her taking THAT much of a break….But I really don’t want to except that Harry is really OVER

Avatar Image says:

Well, Jo proved she could do plot twists in SS, COS, POA, GOF, and HBP. But not in Deathly Hallows, which should have had the most and the best. It was completely devoid of them.

I trust her in a crime novel though.

Avatar Image says:

untill JKR says anything on her web site. I don’t belive word of it.

Avatar Image says:

she’ll be great as a crime novelist..we’ve seen her prowess at creating mysteries in HP..even though I’m sad HP is over,:( I still have hope for that encylopedia!! Waiting for more on this!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yea, I missed the complete plot twists in DH, where you could go back over the other books, and have things completly changed in your mind. Snape was a good part of that though, and so was catching the snitch in Harry’s mouth, it’s just the dumbleodre storyline that hasn’t changed much in my mind. I hve no idea why, mabey it just hasn’ sunk in yet, you never know…

Avatar Image says:

i’m sure jo is writing lots of things… such a vivid imagination, she must be getting flooded with ideas now that potter’s done… so i highly doubt this rumor means much of anything, but i guess we’ll see sooner or later

Avatar Image says:

mabey she wouldnt have to jump around curse words anymore. haha

Avatar Image says:

I really hope this is true. I’ve always wondered what she can do with a different material. And an Edinburgh muystery story novel sounds so atmospheric.

Avatar Image says:

If it’s true, great! It would be nice to read something completely different from her! I think she would be great in every style of novel. Harry Potter or crime novel, she will be very good at it! :D

Avatar Image says:

I hated when they categorize books into genres or age groups. And I loathe people who dismiss a book categorically just because it belongs to the genre they would never read about. The Harry Potter novels, for instance, are so rich in many different themes that you can hardly sort them to a specific category. And I very much doubt Jo categorizing her writing before its done. Thus claiming she is now working on a crime work makes me repulsed, not by the crime genre at all, though by the categorizing.

Avatar Image says:

Ohhh, I hope this rumour turns out to be true. I am a huuuuge crime novel fan. Apart from Harry Potter, I almost only read crime novels and to have one from JKR would be awesome awesomeness.She was fantastic with the mystery in HP already and she has developed as a writer. After the crime novel, she could return to the HP world and write the Encyclopedia? Please? ;)

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree with you, The Prince, I absolutely detest, DETEST, people who categorise books into age groups, like HP is a “childrens” book, when really Deathly Hallows is not a book for kids! I hope Jo writes something else, i dont mind what genre really, if she is as skilled as we think she is, it will have the best parts of so many genres woven throughout, with an interesting twist at the end!

Avatar Image says:

Whatever Jo wants to write, I’ll read it.

But give her some peace, guys! After the HP series, she should get her chance to write in cafes again without some reporter writing an article about it every time she does.

This is funny:

“My wife spotted her writing her Edinburgh criminal detective novel”

...

“Rankin … said he had not discussed the project with Rowling personally, and declined to reveal how he had learned about her plans”

umm…

“My wife spotted her writing her Edinburgh criminal detective novel”

LOL!

Avatar Image says:

honestly, i don’t want to beleive it, although, i would love more books from Jo. she’s an awesome writer, but i still can’t let go of harry potter. i just can’t yet. bah. i want the encyclopedia, and then i think i can let it get through to me that the series is over. but best of luck, jo. i’m sure anything she writes is going to be amazing.

Avatar Image says:

if that woman wrote a novel about elephant dung, I would read it. I just love her.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if JKR could actually be working on a retelling of Orpheus. When I read about this back in July I emailed the info to Leaky but I didn’t see anything about it on the site. Looking back it probably got overlooked since there was so much going on.

Anyway, back on July 22, the News.Scotsman.com reported that “Edinburgh-based publishing firm Canongate has offered Rowling the chance to retell the adventures of the legendary Greek hero, who is best known for attempting to rescue his wife Eurydice from the underworld” and that “Rowling has already expressed an interest in covering the classics after her studies in Greek and Roman mythology at Exeter University in the 1980s, and now Canongate has invited her to become its latest celebrity writer to contribute to its best-selling Myths series.”

To read the whole article, “Rowling poised to work her magic on classic tale of underworld hero,” you can visit http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1142602007

Avatar Image says:

It is so nice to see some meaty Rowling book news again, even if it is strongly in the rumor category right now.

I look forward to anything Jo writes but I very much doubt that ANYTHING will capture my imagination or fill the gaps in my life quite as effectively as Harry Potter has done.

Avatar Image says:

Ian Rankin has expressed before that Jo might be good at detective fiction, eg. from 2005 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article525253.ece thus I think the idea that she is writing in that genre is speculation (I notice the online article misses out his comment in the printed version that she might just have been writing a shopping list). I suspect this is going to be one of many “what JK is writing next” stories, and Jo will try various ideas for new books in different areas until she finds something worth finishing, so I wouldn’t believe all the speculation.

Avatar Image says:

i dont get how she could see jk writing and know that it was a mystery novel and not just a grocery list or something

Avatar Image says:

I hope JKR goes in the way of authors such as Harlan Coben that had a 7-books series on one main character, then left to write unrelated stand alone books, and 6 years later returned to write an 8th book in his series. Even if she writes books that are unrelated to the HP world, it doesn’t mean that she can’t go back to the HP world once she finds a good idea for more book(s) and frankly, I prefer she writes to adults than to children and the idea sounds awesome.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I hope Jo gets a moment of peace once in a while.

I hate to think that she has some weirdo staring over her shoulder every time she tries to write.

Avatar Image says:

Fictional crime novels can be pretty cool. To see examples of them, Michael Connelly’s The Black Echo (and the rest of that series) are pretty good examples. It’s a fun genre. Glad to see JK Rowling working on something new and different.

Avatar Image says:

I think that she should take a break from writing for a little bit. I mean, she just finished Deathly Hallows, so she can finally put her feet up.

I do hope that some day she will go back into the wizarding world again, maybe write a book of the Adventures of Monny, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs.

Just not a stupid name like that

Avatar Image says:

I just hope that some day, Jo decides to write more about the Marauders-era characters… James, Lily, Sirius, Snape etc… crosses fingers

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to pre-order whatever it is … Squeeeeee! I love the anticipation of another all night reading session …

Jo … whatever it is, just keep scribbling!!!

PS: Keep the rumors coming!!!

Avatar Image says:

I cannot believe she’s writing another book granted i would love another Harry Potter book but that’s just not gonna happen so i will just have to read this book but thing is it said it was a rumor so now i don’t know and i don’t want to get to excited

Avatar Image says:

A mystery novel would be pretty spiffin;! It would be so strange to read—no Harry in any of the pages :(

Avatar Image says:

I’ll call it right now: I bet it’s true!

Crime Novels are perfect for her…how she always leaves clues and foreshadowing stuff

Avatar Image says:

i really want jkr to write something similar to harry potter!

Avatar Image says:

I agree, elefuff, another book by her would be absolutely amazing, though, without any mention of Harry, it is bound to make all HP loves a bit disoriented, since they are reading a novel by JKR but there’s no Harry! =(

But, this is great too! Imagine if she whips out another mystery series that becomes just as/even more popular than Harry Potter! =O

But this is still a rumour, so who knows?

=)

Avatar Image says:

I HOPE JKR WILL WRITE ANOTHER SERIES SIMILAR TO HARRY POTTER AND THE WIZARD WORLD. A CRIME NOVEL DOESNT SEEM TO INTERESTING TO READ ABOUT AND IT WILL BE BORING.

Avatar Image says:

ian rankin is an amazing crime writer. If Jo produces anything of the same calibre, it would be nice i think for her to be recognised as someone who can also sustain a story in the real world…

sigh... but i do miss harry potter… just the waiting and snticipation for the next instalment. i dont think i could possibly be in agony like that for any other book..!

Avatar Image says:

I’m leaving for London and Edinburgh on Tuesday!! If I see JKR sitting in a cafe, no worries about a weirdo looking over her shouder, I’d be the weirdo passing out at the sight!! :)

Avatar Image says:

A lot of people are saying they want another book similar to Harry Potter, I love the hp series to death, but wouldn’t want something similar. The hogwarts a history is gonna be awesome but other than that I think that we have a seven book series that kicks ass, we don’t need more, and if she did more i would be disappointed because it would kinda ruin the perfect ending Jo has given us. So I’m glad that shes done with the wizarding world. But when it comes to the crime book, I’m sure I’d love probably not nearly as much as Harry Potter, but something like hp only comes once in a lifetime. I think that Jo’s mystery book would be a good read, but most likely not another classic. I’m sure all the true fans would settle for an enjoyable read. But i think the critics and some greedy fans would judge her and they would expect something like hp, but to that I can only say we must remember a line in HBP “We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on.” :)

Avatar Image says:

Didn’t she say months ago that if she were to write anymore, it would be a mystery/crime novel? But in that interview, I’m pretty sure she said she’d write under another name.

Avatar Image says:

i agree with the prince and markc abouut the genres, but these book rnt really 4 kids, imagine a 10 yyear old reading the end of GOF its scary, intense, especially in OFTP and deathly hallows is not something i would want my kids to read till there a little older

Avatar Image says:

i am very happy that she is finally doing something else then harry…seven books is perfectly long (maybe toooooo long).i am looking forward reading something other than HP

Avatar Image says:

It would be very awkward reading a Jo novel with no Harry, Hermione, or Ron! (Let alone any of the other amazing characters!) I just hope I would be able to read the novel without expectations of it having to live up to Potter’s legacy. In a way, I would almost feel as if I’m ditching Harry…I’m not ready to let go yet :(

Avatar Image says:

Part of me still can’t believe that Harry Potter really is over…

Becky, Harry Potter is only over when you stop reading it and dump the books in a big crate at the nd hand bookshop.

and about the Rankin rumor…. a rumour is just a rumour till something solid is shown.

I think it’s highly unlikely that JKR can even sit undisturbed in a cafe, let alone write.

Avatar Image says:

i think that jo is an amazing writer and what ever she decides to write is ok with me lol. it would be cool too see a crime novel of her credibility of making a plot have a surprising twist or make everyone guessing .. just like snape.. i loved the ending with snape i balled after.. nice writting jo.

keep up writting,, ihope to see more of your work and i would like to know when the encylcopedia is comming out too

Avatar Image says:

Okay, did I totally miss something? This guy’s wife sees her writing in a cafe and that apparently means that she’s writing a crime novel? How on earth would his wife know what she’s writing? She could be writing a letter to her sister for all we know. Plus I think it’s pretty soon after DH to be writing. She said that she wanted a break. Not that I wouldn’t love for her to be writing a book already, but I don’t believe it until she says it herself.

Avatar Image says:

Well, as much as I think this rumor feels a little off, I have faith that Jo could create any kind of fantastic world she wanted with a brain like hers! :) I hope she has the amount of success she wants from whatever future book she gets published next!

Avatar Image says:

Well, first it’s not so “soon” after DH for her as it is for us. Remember she finished writing the book months and months ago.

Second- she can write whatever she wants. Lord knows she doesn’t need more money. I’m sure she will begin writing whenever she feels the urge again. Its what she does, after all- I don’t think we could expect her to stay away too long. So if she is writing again- it is because she is ready and it feel right to her. Childrens, adults, crime, whatever- I’m sure it will be great on its own merit.

That being said, I would not be surprised if she maybe initially published something under a different name so that it wasn’t constantly compared to HP and that it stands on its own merit and not the fame from HP. But we shall see.

Avatar Image says:

omg…omg…omg…omg…omg…omg!!!!!!!!!! _ More of Jo’s writing!!!!! I really want to see her adult novel because i’m really interested in what else she can write!!!!! I mean it doesn’t have to be crime novel I’ll read any of Jo’s books!!! I’m soooooo excited for her knew books to come out!!!! and for the encyclopedia!!!!! OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I think that Joe will do great with whatever she decides to write lets face it she just knows how to do it…and I also would like to say to “corey” who was saying that Joe did a good job at plot-twist until deathly hallows I just feel like she just had to many “plot-twist” created from all the books to put an end to, to create any new ones…thats just my opinion….anyway way to go Joe …..I hope this rumor is true….......

Avatar Image says:

I love brittish mysteries! I am completely addicted to Midsomer Murdres! I hope its true! if not oh well!

Avatar Image says:

*Murders…but you get the picture

Avatar Image says:

My Comment? Leave the damn woman alone – sheesh!

Avatar Image says:

I love the fact she could be writing an adults book, Because those of us who grew up with Harry potter, an are now around 17, will then be the target market for this book too by the time it is published!

You rock jo!

Avatar Image says:

Wow….that would be awsome! If she can write a wonderful story like Harry Potter then I imagine she can write a damn good crime novel! Hope it’s true, cant wait!

Avatar Image says:

Jo, whatever you are doing, we all stand behind you 100% of the way…Whatever she puts on paper will be absolute genius.

Avatar Image says:

Snape loved Lily was a plot twist.

Avatar Image says:

It won’t be the same, obviously. But will I read it? Yep.

Avatar Image says:

I saw this at work yesterday when putting all the newspapers out. I normally think I see references to Jo & HP when there’s actually nothing of the sort, so when I glanced at The Times & saw ‘Rowling’ I was amazed to see that it actually DID mean Jo XD Once I’d read the article my first thought was that we must have been low on news yesterday to have that make the front page of The Times _

Anyway, I don’t think that this article was a good thing, she needs to be left in peace. All Edinburgh HP fans will be staked out in cafes now hoping to get a glimpse of her.

Avatar Image says:

Ok so now we know that it was supposed to be a joke, but still, James, i bet anything jo wrote would be good, not boring! And you have no idea what it would have been like. I personally would have loved a crime novel, not another wizarding series where it would be so hard not to compare them.

Avatar Image says:

evansfan I agree I would like to see the Marauders and Lily at school (with Snape too!) I loved reading about all those memories with Lil ‘n’ Sev.

I had a really vivid dream last night that Jo was writing an eighth Harry Potter book, continuing the series.

Avatar Image says:

I love her boks she puts it in so much detail! It might be a good one if she writes it.

Write a Reply or Comment