Rumor Alert: Hogwarts, the Musical, and a New Harry Potter Comic Relief Book?

Aug 26, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

“Hermione! The smartest witch name I ever heard, Hermione!”

That could be something that we will all sing together, should this latest rumor prove to be true. In an article blazing with the title “Exclusive Hogwarts to Hit West End With Wizard Show,” UK newspaper the Sunday Mirror is reporting today that there plans afoot to stage a musical based on the beloved Harry Potter series. Claiming that “casting agents have been told to start looking for a young lad to play Potter in an all-singing, all-dancing version of J.K. Rowling’s magic at Hogwarts,” the article also goes on to state that ‘producers are already working on script ideas and hope to bring the musical to London’s West End next year…The plan is for spectacular flying scenes, live Quidditch and big showdowns with Voldemort.”

Also tagged at the end of the story is this following about author J.K. Rowling possibly writing another book for the Comic Relief Charity, similar to what she did with Harry’s Schoolbooks (“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Quidditch Through the Ages”).
States the paper:

J.K. ROWLING is expected to write a special Harry Potter book in aid of Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day in 2009.

While all of this sounds very exciting indeed (visions of a dancing Voldemort, and a singing Lucius Malfoy aside), please keep this very much in the rumor category for now. We are working to confirm these things and will update with more as soon as we can.

219 Responses to Rumor Alert: Hogwarts, the Musical, and a New Harry Potter Comic Relief Book?

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear – I really do think this would be a step too far!

interesting… very interesting

Avatar Image says:

I was just joking about this with a friend a couple days ago…a Harry Potter musical…as awesome as that would be, I think it is a little too much. Besides, how are they going to fit the storyline into a 2 1/2 to 3 hour musical?

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha. How bizarre. I hope it’s not true, but if it is… good for them. I do think it’s a bit too soon to be thinking of a musical Harry Potter though. At least wait until the movies are over. But I agree with Sue – Singing and dancing Voldy and Lucius aside, it ought to be interesting to say the very least, lol.

Avatar Image says:

I really, really, hope this is a rumor!!! Voldy doesn’t dance! I really can’t see JKR approving this anyway.

...No.

Avatar Image says:

Just thinking of this makes me burst out laughing – er, well, let’s see…

Avatar Image says:

please don’t be true! it’s too soon, too soon.

Avatar Image says:

I was wondering how long it was going to be before something like this happened. I have to admit though, I wasn’t thinking musical I was thinking more along the lines of a cartoon or something like that. It would be interesting thats for sure.

Avatar Image says:

Just as long as it isn’t written by Kloves, that’s all I ask!

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha, I’m getting an image of Bella singing “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Mis and Ron and Hermione singing “Take Me or Leave Me” from Rent!

Avatar Image says:

I really think that the musical is just ridicoulous. But then again, what do I know? It could be another “HSM!” ha ha! Let’s just hope that it is less annoying than the Disney one if they do make a Hogwarts musical.

Anyway, I think that another comic relief book seems a lot more likeley and more exciting than a musical.

Ummmm…..WHAT?!!

Avatar Image says:

as a complete musical nerd, please please please let this be false… i think my head would explode if it came to pass.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t think of anything more awful to befall the Harry Potter franchise and my opinion of JK is she allows this would be seriously degraded. The books are AMAZING, the films enjoyable, but a musical? please please please NO!

Avatar Image says:

haha and how about “defying gravity” from wicked for when sirius flies away on Buckbeak? and a “masquerade” from phantom of the opera for the yule ball?

Avatar Image says:

Oh my giddy aunt! ... but JK would have to approve wouldn’t she (hopefully)??

As for comic relief book(s)... yes please, as many as she can! I think one of Beedle the Bard’s tales would be great. I want to know about Babbitty Rabbitty and her cackling stump.

Avatar Image says:

A musical? Merlin’s pants! My friends and I once joked about a Harry Potter musical…dear me, I dunno if that would be something I am interested in at all.

Another Comic Relief book would be grand…possibly the Encyclopedia JKR mentioned? 2009? Merlin’s baggy Y-fronts!

I would also love to hear the Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Avatar Image says:

nope.nah-ah.no, NOT letting that happen!

Avatar Image says:

Well as long as Terrence Mann plays Snape….

Avatar Image says:

That would be so stupid. Can anyone see the last chapter of deathly hallows with Harry and Voldemort singing their spells at each other and dancing as they circle? Besides, how the heck do you fit 2000+ pages of story into a musical? On the note of another Comic Relief book, I could see that happening, but I doubt the people who wrote this article to have been informed of it when no one else is reporting it. Jo, if you read this, debunk or confirm please!

I want to see Snape do a “Putting on the Ritz” scene lol

John B.

P.S. I think this is a good idea, but to soon considering the Movies are not done yet.

Avatar Image says:

Alright, this might just be pushing it. Not that I wouldn’t go to see it, but I think it would be even better if they got the songs to be Wizard Rock songs. Lol, alright, so during boring classes, I listen to Wizard Rock. Hush. Do you know what an awesome concert it would be to have something from some of the most popular bands, playing songs in the order of appearance in the books? Hehe, it would be fun!

Erm, no.

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha, I just remembered the broadway filk episodes of PotterCast! “Dementors: The Musical!”

bwahahahahahaha!

Avatar Image says:

I like the idea of the book but don’t think the play will come about.

Avatar Image says:

Book, okay. Musical, NO. That has the potential to be utterly awful.

Avatar Image says:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

THAT WOULD BE TERRIBLE AND IT WOULD BE SOOO CHEESEY!!

Please let this rumour be false!

Avatar Image says:

and i was talking about the musical!! VOLDEMORT DANCING WOULD MAKE ME LAUGH! NOT BE SCARED!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

A Harry Potter musical?? That would be far too cheesy. I really hope this is not so, as I feel it would be a major slide down the pipes (U bend?) for the Harry Potter series.

Now, the book, that I’d be very excited about and wanting to buy right away.

Avatar Image says:

omg!!! that would be bloody amazing if there was an Harry Potter musical!!!!! my friend and I have been talking about Harry Potter coming musical. :)

Avatar Image says:

ok nooo…we do not need or want a Harry Potter musical…that so would not go with the whole theme of the Harry Potter world..it would just be stupid and ruin the authenticity of it..voldemort and snape dont sing!! as for the comic relief part..I would love it if JK did that. hopefully the rest is just a rumor!

Avatar Image says:

This is a joke, right? A joke? Because it just can’t be true…if they can’t get the movies right, how are they supposed to be better with a musical?

Avatar Image says:

Dear God, no. Didn’t anyone learn ANYTHING from the festering mess that is the Lord of the Rings musical??? Surely JKR wouldn’t approve this. It’s a set up to fail. Miserably.

Avatar Image says:

oh no! Jo better not allow this!

Avatar Image says:

Yes this is a step too far…Dudders dancing would be quite a scene to see, but I think the books and movies suffice.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t help but agree with everyone so far. A HP musical is bound to be a failure, and a humiliation for the Potter world as well (although, if one of the songs was Potter Puppetpal’s “Avada Kedavra” with a dance movement, it might be very much worth seeing).

Avatar Image says:

woah hold up! i just realised its from the mirror. that is the most unreliable paper.

Avatar Image says:

Oh no!! That would be just awful!!! Just say NO Jo!! Just say NO!

Avatar Image says:

hahahahahaha oh how wonderful would that be! “voldemort, the man that never smiles, voldemort!”

Avatar Image says:

A musical? everyone would go to see it, but it is a bit of a stretch into the weirdness category. I really can’t see Jo okaying something like this- then again, I couldn’t see her killing Fred, either.

another comic relief book would be awesome!!

Avatar Image says:

I just can’t see it and I am a major fan of musicals. Even if the Les Mis team got hold of it I can’t see it. I can handle people breaking out into song if it is closer to an opera than a musical but there is too much there to condense into anything that makes sense or that could be taken seriously. I really don’t think it could possibly be turned into an all dancing, all singing, tap dancing review. No one would think of sending it there, unless they were going for a real life version of The Producers complete with Springtime for Hitler.

Of course, I rolled my eyes and groaned when I heard they were making a musical about the Phantom of the Opera. I guess that shows how much I know. But they will have to make it and people will have to come and Harry Potter fans will have to love it before I would entertain the idea of seeing it.

Avatar Image says:

I love theatre and I LOVE Harry; but what in the name of Merlin’s saggy left … are they thinking? HP is NOT “Wicked” (a GREAT musical btw)!!! I do hope this is one of those wacky ideas that stay in the rumor category!

Avatar Image says:

Seriously!!! Why do we always have to ruin such good things? I think is taking one step too far, ok maybe a leap too far. Please Don’t!

Oh MAN….please….NO-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’d laugh. A lot. BRING ON THE MUSICAL!

Avatar Image says:

I’d love to see a stage production of Potter someday. But a musical? Oh, hell no! And I LOVE musicals!

Avatar Image says:

As much as I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE musicals fan, having Harry Potter as a musical would simply be just really really cheesy and quite frankly weird. After all, they were doing a musical of LOTR, but that sorta died. I hope the rumor about JKR is true though. Could it possibly be the encyclopedia??

Avatar Image says:

The Mirror? Isn’t that the rag that Piers Morgan was editing when he published some fake photographs of Iraqi soldiers, for which he got dumped and wound up in LA judging contestants on America’s Got Talent? Anything the Mirror says you can dismiss from your mind.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah isn’t the Mirror a tabloid? All the same, I hope this musical idea isn’t true. The movies themselves are silly. I hope the book for charity’s true though.

Avatar Image says:

It didn’t work for Lord of the Rings. That was a complete bomb. It won’t work with Harry Potter either. Please let this be false.

Avatar Image says:

What’s next—Hogwarts on ice?

Avatar Image says:

It HAS to be a rumor. although, Dumbledore always loved music, right? Boy, I wonder if I’ll laugh if that’s really true and if I’d go to see it. For now, is just too surreal.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t care about a musical. If the make it, ok, if they don’t, whatever. But I really want another Comic Relief book, hell yeah!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry but a HP musical?? that seems a bit ridiculous, I think they’re pushing their luck with this one…

Avatar Image says:

If the songs are as entertaining as Potter Puppet Pals’ “The Mysterious Ticking Noise” then it’ll be amazing. I don’t know how they could already have an approximate time for Jo’s next comic relief book though.

Avatar Image says:

this is just well….down right odd!!!!!!!! I really don’t like the idea!!!! I mean people are trying too hard now!!!!!!!!! But if Jo is writing another book i like that idea!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA -

[pause]

- HAHAHAHAHA.

I dunno what to think, really…

Avatar Image says:

You know, they could possibly make this a good musical (they don’t exactly want to make corny the name of JK Rowling), but I can see your fears (when the LOTR musical came out, my friend was singing everywhere “The ring! I have the ring!” lol)

Avatar Image says:

Please don’t! People are still trying to cope with the end. Can you just leave us be for a few years to brood before you completely destroy the series for monetary gain? As much as I like Musicals, the amazing storyline would be destroyed! I think we should start a petition or a prtest or something. I can’t allow this to happen, and I would hope Jo would put a stop to this.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not too keen on the HP musical. A stage version; maybe.

But what I want to know more about is the book! If not the encyclopedia then Hogwarts, A History or Magical Me, please! :D

Avatar Image says:

I cant see Jo approving a musical. If it happens I think it would seriously be a blow to the series.

As for a new Comic Relief book, I hope that is true.

Avatar Image says:

an HP musical…..bursts out laughing hysterically, unable to stop

ahem, seriously, though, this has gotta be just a rumor…i mean, would she really give them the rights if it was true? i agree, it’s too soon for people to be stuffing the storylines into something besides the movies, which are a given…

Avatar Image says:

Honestly, I can actually see this working—the musical, that is.

I think you all might have the wrong impression in mind as to what they’re PROBABLY planning to do with it. A HP musical would likely NOT be Producers-esque or like The Wizard of Oz with all that jazz, but probably more like RENT (which is also ‘all singing’, as they say) or more like Spamalot, telling the story in an appropriate way.

It’s also very likely, no matter what, because chances are Universal will have SOME form of live show at their amusement park, and usually those are musical as well.

Actually, I could really see HP done in a Spamalot-esque manner. Or RENT-esque. RENT, especially, balanced comedy and drama quite nicely. So, while this is definitely stretching HP far beyond what I ever wished it’d go, I can see it working.

What a NIGHTMARE!

Avatar Image says:

A book for Charity ? Yes. Yes. Yes. LIke others, I’d love to read.”Hogwarts – A History”, or even the Monster Book of Monsters…

But a musical? Seriously…a musical? Just. NO. That would be embarrassing, humiliating and would seriously undermine allthat Jo has tried to teach us in the last decade. Like others have said – I am still trying to absorb the end.

No musicals! NO. No. NO.

Avatar Image says:

When I went to see two Broadway plays a few weeks ago I teased my parents that I would pen a Harry Potter musical…alas, it won’t be me if this hilarious concept pulls through!

Avatar Image says:

Snape does not sing and dance.

HAHAHAHAHA -

[pause]

- HAHAHAHAHA.

I dunno what to think, really… Posted by Jennie on August 26, 2007 @ 12:18 PM

I second that…. Just one little tiny question: How on earth are they going to make the Dementors sing???????

Any suggestion :-/

Avatar Image says:

Like the theme park isn’t trivializing enough. Is there any chance for Harry Potter to be remembered as a brilliant set of books? Or will it’s legend be that it was the biggest money maker of the early 21st century?

Avatar Image says:

I had to look at my calendar when I read this. No, it’s not April 1st, or is it?

Avatar Image says:

My first reaction was, “Oh God, no.” Well, if this happens to be true, Melissa can get her wish. Snape will be singing “Lily’s Eyes,” from the Secret Garden. Oh dear. Let this just be a rumour. I bet it is, but let’s not give Steve Kloves any ideas. And yeah, I heard that the Sunday Mirror was just a tabloid, so this will probably never happen.

Avatar Image says:

Who died and made it April?

Avatar Image says:

oh, sorry I forgot to write about the comic relief book….

PRETTY PLEASE CAN WE HAVE ONE!!!!? :)

Avatar Image says:

I really, desperately hope not. No one would ever take the series seriously ever again. It would ruin so much of what I love. I hope so much that this is just a rumor. But as for JKR writing the other book that would be great. It’s probably the encyclopedia if anything. But please, please no musical.

Avatar Image says:

What’s next? Potter on ice?

Avatar Image says:

sings “How do you solve a problem like the Dark Lord?”

Please, God, NO!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Come on people it would be funny see good old voldy singing on stage.

Avatar Image says:

A Musical!? A Musical!? I would totally laugh if they did that. I hope they don’t however

Horrible idea.

Avatar Image says:

Ron singing “If I Were a Rich Man”...

heehee.

Avatar Image says:

but they already made one of these… Snape…snape…severus snape. DUMbledore!

and of course… voldymort voldymort voldy voldy voldy mort voldymort…

Avatar Image says:

Call me crazy, but I think this is a great idea!

Avatar Image says:

I think we’d all buy something HP if JKR writes it, especially if its for charity. Now, it would be interesting to get a recording of that group in Scotland who performed the entire HP series in 0ne hour, maybe that could be made available on DVD? And the Dawn French and friends Red Nose spoof, “HP and the Secret Chamberpot of Azerbijan” could also be released with proceeds going to Comic Relief UK?

Nonsense like this idea of a muscical just makes you appreciate what a breath of cultural fresh air JKR has given us! Thank you JK for a decade of good reading! And for the discussions your books have stimulated!

Over marketing will ruin the magic. One can only hope for two things: 1. that JKR herself will refuse to allow the rights to her characters to be used, and 2. that the fools who dreamed up this silliness, like the fools at Warner Bros, might actually pay some attention to what the HP fans themselves are saying. The first might be probable, as long as JK has control over the legal rights (does she, or does her agent???); the second is probably vain wishful thinking I realize, since its pretty obvious no one at WB pays the slightest attention. But if HP fans themselves are moaning and groaning, then ticket sales probably will be slim.

But, HP, the musical… sigh. I suppose that we’d at least get to hear the Hogwarts school song performed in full? But you would think that producers out to make a quick buck would have learned from having fallen flat with the LotR musical? Theatre and film appear devoid of any original ideas and determined to make money by re-re-making old films (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, again???), films into plays, plays into films, muscials based on ABBA (shudder…and now that’s going to be a film!)....

On the other hand, the possibilities for generating garbage are endless! HP, the rock opera; Ice Capades presents HP (followed by Riverdance does HP); HP, the Saturday cartoons; anime Hp; the US tv sit-com (eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww—actually saw a late night sketch about a month ago: Ron and Harry share an apartment after leaving Hogwarts, with the old tv series Odd Couple as the stolen plot line…)

Or, the worst possible nightmare i can think of, the HP characters doing Desperate Housewives! Is Ron secretly having an affair with Luna? Just how solid is Harry and Ginny’s marriage? What is Draco hiding down in the basement? And why is Hermoine such a work-a-holic? Compensating for some personal problems at home, no doubt! Stay tuned for a preview of next week’s episode…..

Avatar Image says:

I’m pleasantly surprised at the reactions to this!

Avatar Image says:

the theme park? the musical? what’s next, harry potter: the saturday morning cartoon?!

Avatar Image says:

NOOOO!!! Please, no. Just no.

HARRY POTTER PUPPETPALLLLSSSSS

Avatar Image says:

I hope they won´t bring it on stage as a musical. please Jo say no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the charity book ends up being the encyclopedia. I mean, come on, it’s not like JK is doing it because she needs the money.

As for the musical, it seems like a bit of a stretch. I can’t imagine them condensing seven books in one show and still make it seem like it’s Harry Potter. People complain for the cuts the movies do, imagine how much you’d have to cut or speed through for a play.

Avatar Image says:

Erm…as much as I love Potter, I just cringe at the thought of a musical about it. Oh well, maybe it will be good..??

Avatar Image says:

OH NO! Don’t tell me, don’t tell me, Hogwarts Encyclopedia WILL NOT be the size of Quidditch Through the Ages, PLEASE tell me it is not so please please please!

I’m freaking out! Still really excited about the Potter musical! It was bound to happen, I’d only hoped they would wait a while, keep the hype in a few years too… still it was a question of coining the idea before someone else did!

Avatar Image says:

“visions of a dancing Voldemort, and a singing Lucius Malfoy…” This just had me laughing out loud. I do hope that this rumour isn’t true. A musical simply wouldn’t fit.

The comic relief book could be a possibility, though. Jo is known to do a lot for good causes and she already provided comic relief with a lot of money through her books. She would probably do it again. I really hope she does. :c)

Avatar Image says:

I love Harry Potter. And I love musicals. But PLEASSSSSSSSE NO!

O GOD DON’T LET IT BE TRUE

Avatar Image says:

Harry, the Rock Opera, by Voldy and the Death Eaters! mmmmmmmmmmwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahaahahaha

Haha what the heez.

Avatar Image says:

Boy, not another musical! Why does everything have to be put into a musical? I doN#t need Snape singing at me. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

LOL, that would be so awesome!!! My mom and I were just discussing the possibility of a musical! I think it would be great as long as it’s a serious musical and not too wimsical. That would be sooooo cool! :)

Avatar Image says:

I totally don’t see that happening .. a Harry Potter musical?..that’s just something I don’t see Jo approving like ever..but in the light of this don’t you think another PotterCast Broadway filk contest is in order? :D

Avatar Image says:

Both of these would rock. As a Broadway obsessed frek, what would be better than a HP musiacl. I realize it sounds extravagant, but it would rock. (My dad and I were just jokin gthat an HP musical should do a cover of “Good Morning Baltimore” turned into “Good Morning Voldemort”, but enough of the weirdness. )I think the book rocks not only for charity but since both of her comic relief books were fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

a new book would be great, but a musical not so. It would be so gay

Avatar Image says:

Oh sweet mother of all that is good and pure…

Avatar Image says:

lol Well… er. As much as I love everything about theatre.. I can’t imagine a Harry Potter musical right now… But, lol… Who knows? I couldn’t imagine a Legally Blonde musical either.

But to me this seems a little far-fetched unless they had a spectacular array of effects up their sleeves..And even now I’ve got this terrible image of a music-induced Quidditch scene and its fanciful Quidditch players… cringes Then again…I didn’t believe in the theme park but now they’ve convinced me to go to it because it will have things from both books and films, as well as character actors which I find pretty challenging and cool.

I could even see a well-rounded HP tv series that keeps in everything from the books, but a musical..? Eh. I dunno.

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter the Musical? It depends on the music and the story whether I will like it or not. I won’t prejudge it before I’ve heard the music or the story line. It’s entirely possible that it could be made into something quite lovely.

I too hope the book is the encyclopedia and I hope it’s nice and thick. :D

Avatar Image says:

I really…really…...really…...really…..rrrreeeaaallllyyy….dont see this happening I think that it took alot for Joe to put HP on the big screen I absolutly dont see her letting this happen some things are just not musical and HP is one of them I dont care how they would do it. Besides I think this is just something that this trash tabloid has made up to up there sales until it comes from Joe herself I wont give it a second thought…..

Avatar Image says:

when r they going to convert the leaky cauldron pages ?

Avatar Image says:

I’m all for the theme park (mainly because I want to shop in Hogsmeade) but this is way too cheesy. Can’t see Jo being into this??!

Avatar Image says:

Please,no! Do we want Harry Potter coated in kitsch and sugary, syrupy music? I thought JK once said that a musical would definitely not be on the cards.Of course she might have changed her mind. But at what happened to the Lord of the Rings… A disaster. A series of this scope on stage? When even the movies really have to be condensed that much? No way! I hope it will not happen.I could not imagine anyone else than Daniel, Rupert Emma and Tom in the leads. Even if they could pull off playing kids and sing, even then I would have my doubts. Whoever came up with this ludicrous idea should be up for a memory charm right now.

Avatar Image says:

sorry: look at what happened to the Lord of etc.

Avatar Image says:

How do you take 7 books and whittle them down to a 2-3 hr musical? We complain as it is when one book gets cut down to a 2 1/2 hr movie. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Avatar Image says:

i’m okay with the comic book but come on a musical that is taking it a step to far

Avatar Image says:

Blimey, let’s not butcher the thing!

And I reckon I wouldn’t even go for the possible hilarity of it. I’d rather not be re-reading the books at some point and be bombarded with the memories of the bloody songs and dances! That’s some greedy little git looking to suck some more money out of fans, haven’t we proved we are not mindless suckers!

I’d hope at the very least JK would do us the honor of quashing this before they actually go ahead, it would potentially ruin an otherwise successful franchise with an undoubted theatrical flop. Even children would be disillusioned by this!

The comic relief book, however, since JK is writing it, might be wonderful.

Avatar Image says:

Why, there’s a musical already. :-) Potter Puppet Pals – a nice and funny parody by fans, all fair and square.

A musical, though – I wonder how they’d try it without JKR’s approval. I expect she’d put it into “Garbage” section in the Rubbish Bin as soon as she gets wind of this. Not to mention her very capable lawyers.

Avatar Image says:

I’m one of those HP fans who dismissed the “theme park” story as just another silly rumor. So an HP musical??? At this point, I’d believe anything!!!

Avatar Image says:

Seriously? Can you imagine a huge, burly character such as Hagrid dancing around a stage? I think not.

Avatar Image says:

That’s lousy idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

oh my oh my…..i cracked up when i read this….i can see lucius malfoy singing “im too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt…” hahahaha wow…..

Avatar Image says:

Melissa’s worst/best(?) dream come true?

I’m hoping that this is just some people with a crazy idea, and that they soon realize that it would never be profitable to condense 7 books into a 3 hour musical… you’d either lose book/movie fans by cutting out too much core material, or you’d lose muggles out because of the length/missing plot elements.

But just in case this idea does fly, I hope they wait until WAY after the last of the movies is out, and that TPTB get Ms. Anelli’s input too!

Avatar Image says:

I think the only possibly (and still.. pretty bad) concept for a HarryPotter-esque musical would folllow the story of Tom Riddle, everything we see in the pensive from HBP. And then that’s all of a sudden too, too Wicked. Even as a Harry Potter fan, and a Musical Junkie, I don’t think I could support this. How did the LotR musical fare a couple of years ago in Toronto? I never heard anything after the buildup.

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter The Musical, all I can do right now is laugh. As for the comic releif books I want to know know more about Babbity Rabbity and her crackaing stump!!

Avatar Image says:

The next thing is Harry Potter on ice! I don’t there is anything wrong with a musical Harry Potter. After all JKR has already written two songs.

There is the Hogwarts school song and two versions of Weasley is Our Kind. And I’m sure Luna could’ve an interesting song about Snorkacks. Assumng some of the movie actors can sing, some of them could reprise there parts. And the musical in theory could be a whole nother story. Like the wiz is in relation to the Wizard of OZ world. Set in it but different.

I like the idea, but really the producers should wait a few years, at least until after the DH movie.

Avatar Image says:

I think that would be funny and enjoyable too! how about a harry/voldemort scene from les miserables… i am warning you voldemort! i am a stronger wizard by far! i have the power of love! haha but thanks for the warning jessica!

Avatar Image says:

And visions of Snape danced in my head…

Avatar Image says:

time to take that trip to london!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another book = good.

A Musical? What? As much as I love them, I think that that would be… geez, please let that not be true. lol.

Uh…let’s just…not.

Avatar Image says:

Ooh, great! A new Comic Relief book! ;o)

But a musical? A musical??? No, please no. I went to the LOTR musical out of curiosity, and it was… well, okay, I guess, considering it’s a musical. If I hadn’t read the books and seen the movies, I suppose I would have thought it spectacular and great. But that’s just it, isn’t it? The HP books will always rule, no matter what they come up with next. A musical would only spoil them for me. As someone else said (sorry, I can’t remember who): you don’t want to re-read the books and think about the songs (even if they manage to avoid cheesiness.)

I am wondering though, if throwing this rumor at us would be a way to check out if people would be interested to go see it. Well, just in case: I am not falling for it, as I did with LOTR. If HP the musical will ever hit the theatres, I for one am not going to see it.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my God. That would be scary. Please let some sad, demented and very, very bored person have made this up. I don’t think I could stomach a HP musical. Seriously, they don’t sing for a reason. And if this is true, I think that a singing and dancing Voldemort would be the least of our worries next to poor JKR’s nervous breakdown at seeing it.

Avatar Image says:

Mwahahaha! As much as this would ruin the series, IMO, it would hilarious to watch. I’m all for it! Bring it! :D

Avatar Image says:

XD i can see it now!!! oh my god that’s gonna be hilarious. i will have to go back to london to see it!!!

and another comic relief book, Jo? Fantastic!!!!! i loved the other ones… i read them all the time.

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

There is going to be a whole Pure Blood mania song with Lucius, Voldie, and Draco etc. Singing a song called, “Mudbloods” I can imagine it now! But a musical just no lol!

Please no.

No…please God…just…NO!!!

Avatar Image says:

I think the musical is a good idea actually. It will be a lot of fun (and that’s what it is, FUN!). It would be great to see HP on stage in any form, if only to see how they pulled it off. The Lord Of The Rings musical is fantastic IMO (a couple of bad songs, but the whole production rules)

Avatar Image says:

I love musicals but I don’t know about this…!

Avatar Image says:

Andrew Lloyd Webber wanted to do it a few years ago but apparently WB has the rights to it if it is done at all.

Avatar Image says:

I’m a little in the “yeah right” corner for the time being… Though I’d really would love another book for Comic Releif!

Avatar Image says:

Lupin to Thriller! OMG, the vision- aghhh!

I would probably see it if it was of the genius of Wicked (which was a book first, ya know). It would be very hard to make genius though…

Avatar Image says:

my friends and I actually wrote “Harry Potter: The Musical” for a theatre comedy night at our school. We had a J.K. Rowling character narrate it and we wrote HP themed parodies of classic broadway songs (and some not so well known ones). We had a chorus of dancing Death Eaters (except they all wore hockey masks). It was all written in good fun though, and it wasn’t meant to be taken seriously (unlike this Hogwarts the Musical)!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I just looked out at the full moon, and it struck me! IF they are foolish enough to do HP, the musical, what else could Remus Lupin sing but “werewolves of London”?

And I have been drinking decaf!

Avatar Image says:

They need to get the rights to the Mysterious Ticking Noise.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad they’re trying to keep HP going, but I’m going to have to give this one a thumbs down. As for the Comic Relief Book…oh yeah!

my goodness i hope not

Avatar Image says:

oh my….prays please be a rumor. please!. Harry should not dance nither should Draco…shutters

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear God. This cannot be true.

Avatar Image says:

wow a harry potter musical. first we see voldemorte with a hand bag * mentioned in the queens 80th birthday skit* now a signing and dancing Lord Voldemorte.. i hope the only torturing he will do to harry is to sing off key. man if i was gunna watch that i would be like half laughing half being serious i mean seriously .. will ppl take this thought to mind as of something to be proud of. it could be cool but really common

Avatar Image says:

Wow… I don’t think I’ll be able to get the vision of Lord Voldemort dancing and singng out of my head. LOL… Voldemort the Dark Lord of the Dance. tee-hee. All the same… Is really something that needs to be brought into existence? I mean… I just don’t really think Harry Potter needs this kind of incarnation… hmm…

Avatar Image says:

Are we sure that the rumor was not about “Harry Potter On Ice”?

Avatar Image says:

noooooooooooooooooooooooo pleas nooooooooooooooooooo i was just joking with my girl friend about them playing qudich and sining getchya head in the game andthen i see this

Avatar Image says:

did anyone see that Ootp won best drama/action for the teen choice awards?!

Avatar Image says:

A musical- rediculous ! Maybe a play but not a musical !

Avatar Image says:

Musical?? No… Book?? Yes please.. That sums up my personal opinion and my thoughts on the validity of the rumors.

Avatar Image says:

(commenting more on my comment above)

this will completly ruin the francise .. it will have good ticket sales but its only because it has the name harry potter. the critics will have a feild day and say how horrible and chessy it is and i hope jo will say no, i dont see her approving this if it took her soo long to agree on the movies and even tho i LOVE the movies but they cut alot of the impotant stuff out.. and just imagine how much they will cut out of the musical. in g.o.f i wouldve liekd to see hermione snog krum (for some reason). but ya a musical is insane. the theme park i like and they will probably to sumthing in there stage wise like they did with the terminator or sumthing like that. and i can see the hogwarts express tain with the sweet cart lady and everything and the knight bus with the shrunken head and ernie.

as for the musical …. lets leave it in the rumors please people. we dont need it to go overboard like lord of the rings fiasco. we dont need a ice capade show, we dont need a tv sitcom ( i can see it now.. voldemorte walking through the door `` bloody hell harry potter escaped AGAIN!. i think i will just have to kill im next time and just not talk at all. ``).

i really want another comic rellief book please jo make one lol. iwuld like to see alot ofthe book in hogwarts especially hogwarts: A History and beedle the bard ( hermiones children stories from dumbledores will.-and many more). JO DONT AGREE!!!.. IT WILL RUIN HARRY POTTER!!....NO MUSICALS!!!!
Avatar Image says:

Neil Cicierega already made a Hogwarts musical, called Potter Puppet Pals Adventure! See: http://wiki.illemonati.com/Potter_Puppet_Pals_Adventure for the full soundtrack. Here’s one song from it:

“I’ve Got to Get the Snitch”

HARRY: I’ve got to get the Snitch! I’ve got to get the Snitch! The game is called Quidditch And I’ve got to get the Snitch!

Flying through the air on a broom! I try my very best to avoid my doom! When in the corner of my eye It will loom! The Snitch!

I’ve got to get the Snitch! I’ve got to get the Snitch! I’m flying ‘round the pitch, And I’ve really got an itch. Draco Malfoy’s very rich, But his mother is a—!

DRACO MALFOY: Hey, I’ll knock you in a ditch, And I’ll beat ya till ya twitch!

HARRY POTTER: This will go without a hitch!

RON WEASLEY: Sometimes I wish I were a witch!

HARRY POTTER: I’ve got to get… the… SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-! crashes

Avatar Image says:

The corn is as high as a hippogriff’s eye… An’ I think that it’s growing clear up to the sky!

Avatar Image says:

I love musicals and I’m all for new ideas….but I really hope this isn’t true. But I’m not getting too agitated, because it seems far too ridiculous to be true.

Avatar Image says:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! They did that with Lord of the Rings after the movies were such a big hit too. Ewwww!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, forget script writers! Just get a great choreographer and use those wonderful fan filks that Leaky has been collecting for years. I can see it now! Hogwarts, A Musical Revue!

I’ve been dying to see the YouTube versions of “One, singular dementor” and “Wave your little wand and whisper ‘So Long Voldy’” since hearing them on PotterCast! =)

Sounds ghastly.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe the producers have visited the TLC comment pages about the appearances of the movie actora and they’re going to do a re-make of “Hair!”

Avatar Image says:

I hope it’s just a rumor and nothing else… :S That could spoil all the magic…. sounds horrible!

Avatar Image says:

lol it would be funny to see but i doubt it will happen but the book i will look forward to :-)

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who thinks this is great? It would be such a laugh singing along and I would be first in the queue to see it :P I would be surprised if its true though,knowing the Mirror…

Avatar Image says:

If the rumor is true, the people behind this musical should definitely read the comments posted here. A LOT OF REALLY FUNNY IDEAS here from Leaky fans!!!

GOTTA LOVE IT!!! :)lol

Avatar Image says:

NO NO NO!!!!!!!! I’m a Harry Potter fan, yes, but don’t you think a Harry Potter Musical would be a bit, what’s the word? Oh yeah, CHEESY???? I want to see a dancing snape as much as I want to be grounded for year. Who else says NO to an HP musical?

Avatar Image says:

OH YEAH, that should be fun, So when Dan Radcliffe’s non-HP-acting career gets a bit down the drain, he can try singing and dancing and when the novelty is drained from that, he can try ice skating….with a bit of luck and a good PR, he can play Harry Potter till he is 54.

They also can make a movie based on the musical and a cartoon based on that movie. After which they can bring us a musical based on the cartoon. Which on its turn can also be adapted to a theaterplay in sign language.

You see the possibilities are endless and in the end we even might recognise some of the names. But of course there will be no end, because that string of adaption begs for a whole new rewritten novel ( HP for Muggles and other Dummies) and then we can start the whole cycle again.

YES! YES! PLEASE BRING US THE MUSICAL.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, God no. Please, no! A Harry Potter musical?! Oh, crap I really don’t want this to happen.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry , a musical of Harry Potter just sounds discusting , at this point. UGH!!!PLEASE NO!! I think it’s an insult to Jo’s work.

OTOH:: The Comic Relief book from Jo is fantastic!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

“lol this is hilarious. please let it be true. who DOESN’T want to see snape do the macarena?”

lol!

I think this is just tabloids trying to mess with our heads. I mean, it worked, considering the reaction.

The thing about the books fits really well with what she has said in the past about the encyclopedia, so maybe that’s something to look forward to.

Avatar Image says:

NO.WAY. Please tell me this is some sort of sick joke. Harry Potter can NOT be turned into a play. It’s ridiculous! That’s the sort of thing SNL does as a spoof, not an actual piece of theatre. I’m desperately crossing my fingers in hopes that this is just another tabloid’s desperate search for attention. The book is awesome enough by itself! I mean, ok. We accepted the movies, then the theme park, but this? This is going WAY TOO FAR!!! How can something that is so dear to us be turned into a massive over-exposed, over-commercialized piece of dung?? That play would be it. No. Harry Potter doesn’t sing songs and dance around stage. Harry Potter can NOT be condensed into a few hours of acting. No.

Avatar Image says:

I can see it now, Ron and Harry sitting on the Hogwarts Express for the first time and Ron singing “Hermione, Hermione, Hermione. I’ve just met a girl named Hermione!”

Avatar Image says:

If you want singing and dancing head over to potterpuppetpals.com

i posted twice

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’d never forgive them if they’d make a musical… but the book would be great:) Let’s hope she’ll write it!

Avatar Image says:

Bwhahaha, I was waiting for this to happen. If done right, it could be quite entertaining. :D

Avatar Image says:

I love the idea of JK doing another comic relief book (Hogwarts a History????) but the musical is kind of disturbing. Its way to far and they’re going to really kill it!!!

Avatar Image says:

I really really hope the musical idea doesn’t go too far, it’ll just be too odd. has visions of Andrew Lloyd Webber screaming at Dobby

I love the comic relief though. And hopefully it’s Hogwarts, a History.

Avatar Image says:

Think “Lion King” with Dementors instead of Giraffes ….

Or instead of “Auntie Mame” it will star “Auntie Muriel”

Hmmm … or the Producers with Voldemort taking the Hitler slot …

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear, I needed to laugh today!! Thankyou Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

Heheheeee! Dancing Voldy – well, OK.

But try dancing Dudley! Or Grawp!!

Even if the rumour proves to be true in due course, which I doubt, I’d never watch it.

But I do hope for that Comic Relief book!

Avatar Image says:

I saw some reactions with serious concern about compressing the whole Harry Potter story in a two hour musical.

Why compress? We could have seven musicals, one for each year.

Avatar Image says:

I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn’t April fools day.

Avatar Image says:

oooh, I want to be in it! lol, that looks like fun…you probably have to be British again, though, which I’m not. “Thestrals…you can’t see them until, you’ve seen someone die! Thestrals!”

Avatar Image says:

My reaction to when I read the headline all Melissa-like: Oh no no no no no.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and my reaction to another JK book for Comic Relief? Oh yes yes yes yes YES!

Avatar Image says:

“When you’re a death eater you’re a death eater all the way from your first murder to your last unforgiveable curse hey!” or “hermoine… I just kisssed a girl named hermoine”

a dancing Voldemort :D

Avatar Image says:

I would like to see it, actually. But only if they take the bit from Potter Puppet Pals and have Voldemort singing “Voldemort, Voldemort, Oh Voldy Vodly Mort” (sung to tune of Lollipop) If you haven’t seen it you should check it out. It’s so funny. And YES to the books. I love the little extras like that.

Avatar Image says:

enzie, I actually did see the broadway revival of Hair…it was awful. Didn’t translate well out of the 60s…

Avatar Image says:

Oh no this sounds like it would be way too much. a singing Snape? shivers sorry I just don’t think so.

Avatar Image says:

“But then again… I was sure that JKR would never cheapen the series to the point of allowing a theme park. So who knows?”

Guys, try to get some perspective. A Harry Potter musical doesn’t have to condense the story of 7 books into one 3-hour play. It doesn’t have to follow the books exactly. It just needs to be lively and fun. It’s about giving readers/audiences/HP-lovers another opportunity to enjoy this story (like the movies did).

I think a musical would be awesome (if done well) ... even a spoof-musical would be fun. Making a musical (or even a theme park) doesn’t cheapen the seven books. They stand alone as amazing fiction, talented writing, engrossing fantasy. A musical would just be a bit of fun for people who enjoyed the series, but don’t necessarily want the fun to end.

Just thought I would toss out an opposing view for a bit of balance.

Avatar Image says:

Any updates, yet? I am paticularly curious about the books. :c)

Avatar Image says:

Musical?? – OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Just what we need…:D Hermione and Ginny singing songs á la Hit me baby one more time and Kiss the girl Snape singing á la Poison? Harry singing á la On my own and why God why? Ron singing á la Money, Money, Money? Draco singing á la I love to hate you? Voldemort singing á la Hero? ROFLMAO whatever next? Harry Potter the opera Harry Potter the clothing line Harry Potter The Fast Food Chain?

Urgh… Harry Potter as a musical? That can’t happen! Ten reasons why:

1. Too long 2. Too complicated 3. The dialogue would probably be like the dialogue in Star Wars III, in other words, revolting. 4. Voldemort dancing? 5. Do the words “Nightmare Before Christmas” ring a bell? 6. Imagine Harry and Cho singing “Ten minutes ago I saw you.” 7. Snape singing? 8. It would be an insult to fantasy writers as well as Gilbert and Sullivan. 9. Can you seriously see Ron and Hermione singing “Can you feel the love tonight?” 10. “THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUSIC!”

The only benefit would be to give Potter Puppet Pals something to do. It would provide enough material for fifty years’ worth of spoofs!

Avatar Image says:

But wouldn’t we all go and see it, no matter how bad we think it will be? Maybe they can use Songs from known Musicals (great suggestions here already) and if they don’t take themselves to serious it might just turn out to be funny.

Avatar Image says:

i wonder who would play harry….....

and dont say Zac Effron

Avatar Image says:

I really want Jo or someone to either debunk (please do!) or confirm this rumour. I REALLY want and need to know. =[

Avatar Image says:

If it becomes anything like the lotr on west end I will become very glad =)

But no dance thank you!

And some of the original actors must be in the show.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Avatar Image says:

I think the original actors would rather be Avada Kedavra-d than agree to be in a musical like that.Even if they can sing and dance-which they most probably can,acting is a versatile profession after all, this is not where you will see/hear them do that. Forget it.

Avatar Image says:

omg i hope they dont do a Harry Potter musical! This would be sooo stupid, Harry Potter is just too serious to be a musical! Although a new comic relief book is gonna be wicked!! :D

Avatar Image says:

i hope jo does a new comic releif book! it will do really well if she does and thats a lot of money for charity!!! i’m not sure about a harry potter musical! but if they do a musical i’ll go see it no matter how bad or gd it is!!!

Avatar Image says:

Contrary to most of the comments here, well, I’m too much of a musical dork to not want to see this. I mean, I would hate it if they butchered it, and what else could the do, trying to fit a gigantic series into one musical? Witness the Lord of the Rings, which I saw in Toronto and which had the highest budget of any musical ever in Canada. The special effects were incredible, the story and acting sucked (except for Gollum, who was great).

I don’t want that to happen to HP, yet there is a small demon inside of me that cries, “I want to see Ron and Hermione sing! I want Malfoy to dance!!!”

Sigh. I am conflicted.

Harry. Potter. Musical.

I love it.

Avatar Image says:

ok a whole musical nooooooooooo maybe voldy and dudders dancing or sumthin would be better i agree it would fail no doubt but i would still have to go see it on opening night

jo please debunk

Wow. Dancing Voldemort…

Avatar Image says:

...okay, now I have this mental image of all the Death Eaters singing “One” from A Chorus Line.

“You know you’ll never be lonely with You-Know-Who!”

Avatar Image says:

O…M…G! I seriously hope not, I hate bad musicals! I liked High Scool Musical and Grease and all that crap but I just cant see Dumbeldore singing his heart out to an over sappy Harry. No…..JUST SAY NO, people!

Avatar Image says:

LemonFresh wrote: Witness the Lord of the Rings, which I saw in Toronto and which had the highest budget of any musical ever in Canada. The special effects were incredible, the story and acting sucked (except for Gollum, who was great).-

I saw the LOTR musical in London, LemonFresh, and I also thought Gollum was great, even when he was singing. It was a bit touching how Smeagol so longingly sang the song about family and friends sitting around the fire, with his creaky voice. But as a whole, I wasn’t too happy with this musical, but then I am not a musical fan. Btw Frodo (and many of the other hobbits as well) deformed his voice. He tried to speak with a stupid, high voice all the time and I found that very annoying.

I could not bear it if they did something like that with Harry and friends. I will definitely not go to a HP musical, if this rumour proves to be true. As to the theme park, well, I must admit, if I get the chance, I will probably go. I mean, who wouldn’t love to walk around and through Hogwarts? But that’s all about locations, and they won’t do anything to ruin the story (knock on wood).

Avatar Image says:

i heard about this on ‘That Antony Cotton Show’ and when he said there was gonna be a HP Musical i literaly burst in to tears and NOT from happiness. how could they do that to Harry Potter? it’s complerely wrong for the HP World…although i think it would be cool if they did a short 15mins (max)HP musical for Comic Relief aslong as they just took the mick (but in a good way).

Avatar Image says:

maybe too far? but id still go see it :) lol

I luv the part at the end…..Voldemort,Voldemort,Volde Volde Voldemort

Avatar Image says:

HSM = Hogwarts School Musical.

^ lol (on above comment) ^