OotP Film Breaks IMAX 3D Box Office Records

228

Sep 06, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

In a press release from the IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. released today, the companies announced that “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” has become the highest grossing IMAX 3D live-action film release ever. Past its seventh week of release and with worldwide box office receipts totaling over $35 million, “Order of the Phoenix” has broken records both domestically and internationally. Shown on 91 IMAX screens in the States and 52 IMAX screens internationally, the press release notes an ‘impressive per screen average of $243,000′ which has made it the highest grossing live-action IMAX release.

Greg Foster, a Chairman and President for IMAX Filmed Entertainment was quoted in the press release as saying:

“This film has become a huge summer hit for the IMAX® theatre network and Harry Potter fans have demonstrated that they love to experience their favorite wizard in IMAX 3D. Many of our locations throughout the worldwide IMAX network have reported box office records, thanks to a terrific film from talented filmmakers, exceptional marketing from Warner Bros. Pictures and the strong appeal of Hollywood movies presented in a truly unique and powerful way.”

To date, the worldwide theatrical gross of “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” is nearing the billion dollar mark with more than $906 million in ticket sales.

17 Responses to OotP Film Breaks IMAX 3D Box Office Records

Avatar Image says:

OMG,I knew it!Order of the Phoenix is pretty good!

Avatar Image says:

The IMAX presentation of OotP was excellent,but the building, in Birmingham, England, was an architectural nighmare! Not at all user-friendly.

Avatar Image says:

Yep, this doesn’t suprise me. It was an awsome movie. I’ve seen it three times!

Avatar Image says:

We went to see it (the second time for me) in IMAX and I thought it was pretty good. I had heard that Fred & George’s fireworks were in 3-D. They weren’t and it was a shame. Only the battle in the MoM is in 3-D.

No problem with the location here in Las Vegas, it was in the Palms Casino.

One interesting thing to me is that both times I saw the movie, the audience was 95 percent adults (18 and up).

Avatar Image says:

It is interesting that the majority of viewers to see the IMAX (which is a Canadian invention) presentation are adults. Of the three times that I have seen it in IMAX format, the majority of people in the theatre have been adults. I love this version of the film in IMAX and was disappointed that the Fireworks scene wasn’t also done in 3-D (there were a couple others that could have been done in 3-D and would have been really effective).

Avatar Image says:

Woah. That is just amazing. I mean, I loved the movie, but it astounds me how well it’s doing…and continuing to do well! It’s still playing in theaters months later. Just amazing.

Avatar Image says:

Question for those of you who have seen it in 3D – I tend to get motion-sickness pretty easily and have been relunctant to go see the IMAX version for fear of getting sick.

Do you know of anyone who is prone to motion sickness that has seen it in 3D and done ok?

Avatar Image says:

I saw it while in London on vacation… It was totally awesome! The building there was really nice. I don’t get motion sickness at all, but I don’t think it would bother someone who has it. Not a lot of fast movements, just movements that look like they’re coming right at your head!

Avatar Image says:

WOW!!!!! Very impressive!! I always knew it would do well!! Can’t wait till it comes out on dvd!!! :)

Avatar Image says:

It is mostly in the backgrounds where the 3-D is apparent (like the shelves and shelves of prophecies in the MoM). I don’t imagine most people would have problems with motion sickness.

Avatar Image says:

Just noticed at Box office mojo that OotP is 3 million short of beating GoF domestic wise and apparently has already done so worldwide wise. It’s still 64 million behind Sorcerer’s Stone though (worldwide and Sorcerer was 50 million cheaper to make).

Wish I could’ve seen it in 3D, but we don’t have IMAX theaters in my country and since I wear glasses already, putting 3D ones on top doesn’t make the experience that enjoyable.

Avatar Image says:

I saw it both in regular and Imax and I have to sat the Imax is very cool. You have to see it if you can. They say if you get motion sickness to sit in the top row in the center. These are the best seats for imax even if you don’t get motion sickness.

Avatar Image says:

I saw it in the I-max theatre. Like being an alien inide of a UFO. A totally different experience than a regular theatre.

Avatar Image says:

i went to see it for the second time it 3D… I agree GVC I also heard the fireworks were gunna be 3D and they weren’t. Oh well the fight scene was AMAZING!! It gave me goose bumps… well actually the entire movie did but we. I thought the thestrals in 3D were AWESOME! That was cool

I reall want to see it in 3-D!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Avatar Image says:

I would never eat cookies again to see OOTP in 3D I’ve seen the movie normally almost 10times now XD ugh but my parents wont let me go out of state to see it! :( No matter how much I beg..

Avatar Image says:

I saw it on regular and imax and I have to say 3-d didn’t work for me. I just saw a cardboard cut-out effect. I expected a bit more of stuff coming towards me but didn’t get it. Apparently 3-d works differently for different people.

jensenly, I definitely recommend sitting far back and centre. I sat closer to the front and my head started to feel funny.

Write a Reply or Comment