David Thewlis to Return as Lupin for “Half-Blood Prince”

112

Sep 07, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actor David Thewlis is set to reprise his role as Remus Lupin in the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film. While appearing today on Simon Mayo BBC Radio Five Live program to promote his new novel “The Late Hector Kipling,” David Thewlis spoke of his involvement in the Harry Potter film series. He noted he will return again to the films, saying he recently visited the set of “Half-Blood Prince” to have a new wig fitted for his role as Lupin, and he also spoke about when he joined the cast for “Prisoner of Azkaban.” The audio from this program is not yet online, but will be shortly, and we will update with that when available.

On a related note you can read a detailed interview in The Telegraph with David where he speaks about writing this book, and his involvement and many funny experiences in the acting world. While he does not speak with detail about his role in the Harry Potter films, it is a good article about this talented actor.

Thanks very much Neil!

33 Responses to David Thewlis to Return as Lupin for “Half-Blood Prince”

Avatar Image says:

first comment! :) i love that actor…he was great in poa! :) can’t wait to see hbp! :)

Avatar Image says:

this is great and all, but who’s playing lavender, slughorn, and scrimgeour?

Avatar Image says:

Yay :D I love him as Lupin even though so many people seems to have some kind of problem with him. I really hope that he’s going to be in Deathly Hallows too sniff

Avatar Image says:

i wonder if they’ll bother with the whole lupin/tonks stuff?

Avatar Image says:

Good! I guess that mean Natalia will also be back, right? I mean, Tonks and Lupin’s relationship is like, the biggest thing that happens in the book (related to Lupin).

I’m glad, because I was afraid they would cut off their relationship from the movies. But maybe they won’t. But I don’t know…

Avatar Image says:

I can see them cutting it, because it’s not drastically important to Harry’s plot (which David Yates seems to favour above EVERYTHING else), but it would be utterly devastating to us Remus/Tonks fans. Because if they cut it, it means they die alone, and there’s no Teddy :( /insert big sad face here/

Peace, Rotae

Avatar Image says:

does anyone else think that, great at HP is, the romance stuff gets terribly contrived… i’d almost rather not see the lupin/tonks thing. it just seemed out of left field to me. but i think i’m really in the minority!

Avatar Image says:

VERY HAPPY to hear that David Thewlis will be back. I’ve been a fan ever since I saw him in Prime Suspect 3. He played a villain then. Nice to see him as a good guy.

Avatar Image says:

I have loved him since James and the Giant Peach.

And of course he was amazing in POA. I’m glad to see him return for OotP and now HBP and hopefully DH as well.

We love you David!

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah, he’s in! does a little dance of joy :D

Lets just pray he’s in it for longer than he was in OotP…

Avatar Image says:

Natalia Tena is returning for HBP too…it’s confirmed in an interview she did shortly after the release of OotP in theaters, but it’s in Spanish. I’ll post the link anyway for those who can read it/are bothered enough to paste it into an online translator.

Also, I just saw news about the OotP HD DVD and Blu-ray discs…with cover art and an apparent release date of December 11th. Hope it’s posted soon on Leaky, here’s the link

Avatar Image says:

I love David Thewlis! My last name is Thewlis, and its a really uncommon last name…could be related! lol

Avatar Image says:

Yes!! This is brilliant!!! I love david, he is a great actor, really good at being lupin!!! I can’t wait till hbp comes out!!!

Avatar Image says:

I loved this interview, and I now absolutely love David Thewlis. Love, love, love. : )

Avatar Image says:

yay lupin is one of my favs.. i love him.. and to a person above.. they would have to put the tonks/lupin relationship cause tonks is really upset with her mousy brown hair at the burrow b/c lupin wont marry her cause hes a wearwolf. they would need to put that in.. y else would they ned them cept that their in the order.. ihope in deathly hallows they put the fight with harry and him.. i cried there cause of what harry told him but it had to be done

Avatar Image says:

Aww! I’m sure his acting was good, but he looked too old and just not Lupin-like to me!

Lupin (and Snape) is my FAVOURITE character and bahhh, I mean David’s okay, but just not how I picture Lupin. =[

Anyhow, congratulations!

Avatar Image says:

A new wig! [flail] But I still hold that he should go without; there’s no way such a stressed guy as Remus Lupin should have that much hair.

Avatar Image says:

Good to hear David’s back! He did a great job with Lupin in POA (even though he isn’t exactly how I pictured Lupin, but many characters aren’t how I pictured them, anyway).

Lupin/Tonk is my favorite pairing, but I am sure they’ll probably get cut. They’ve done a bad job at all this background/behind the scenes stuff in the films. Well, here’s hoping they’re still there. :)

Avatar Image says:

I never really knew how to amagine lupin, untill thewlis started playing him. He made lupin one of my favourite characters in HP. I don’t think the relationship of lupin and tonks will be very important in HBP, but they will probably mention it. By the way ROTAE, it isn’t the choice of the directer to pay little attention to the other characters. This choice is made by the screenwriter.

Avatar Image says:

A wig? Is David bald, because in recent pics he does have thinning hair, but it would add to the authenticity and emotional state Remus is in. If he has long hair in HBP, I’m going to complain. Remus didn’t look that shabby in OOTP, despite the limited lines Thewlis got.

Avatar Image says:

I think David is a great actor, he was great in Prisoner of Azkaban. I love the character of Remus Lupin, he’s a kind and gentle man. I would definatley say that Natalie Tena will be back then because at the end HBP they get together. But they probably won’t show the fight at the end, they’ll just make it clear that Tonks likes Lupin during the rest of the film without any dialogue.

Avatar Image says:

redbeard: But he gets the final say on what scenes are cut. I know, I work in the film industry.

kaylyn: Natalia Tena said that her hair would not be mousy brown, that is would be BLACK, so I’m assuming that they’re just going to make her depressed about Sirius’s death, like Harry thought.

Peace, Rotae

Avatar Image says:

i LOVE david thewlis. he’s so great as remus!!!! i cant wait to see him in HBP. its gonna be great. XD

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

good evening…. can’t wait ‘til the movie comes out!

Avatar Image says:

Glad to see that he’s returning for HBP! I just really hope they won’t cut out the Remus/Tonks relationship… their relationship was seriously one of my biggest favs from HBP and DH. =/

Avatar Image says:

i am happy that David/Remus will be back in the next film! as one of James’ best friend, his character is important and is a significant part of Harry’s life.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think that they’ll cut Remus/Tonks—How could they when their death and the orphaning of Teddy are such big events in DH? I know that things get cut out of the movies, but surely they won’t just pretend that all the heart-wrenching circumstances around 2 of the biggest deaths didn’t occur? No director in his right mind would allow that??

Avatar Image says:

Ah, sorry rotae, guess you know best then. (seriously, I don’t mean this in a sarcastic way.) I still think yates did a good job. He also said that hbp would be less focust on harry.

Avatar Image says:

I knew he did more scenes on OotP. Im sad that he was cut so much. It makes me wonder if their going to keep the Tonks Lupin stoy line in. Although I cant see it happening, I think the whole Teddy story line is so sad.

Avatar Image says:

Thank goodness! :) I was worried after Phoenix came out that they might be cutting Lupin’s role down/shaving him out. Oh, I hope Half Blood Prince keeps the Lupin and Tonks storyline!

Lupin is definitely my favorite character in the books. David Thewlis seemed a very odd choice to me in the beginning, and he still doesn’t look quite right, but he has Lupin’s personality down well enough to keep me happy anyway. :) I’m glad he’ll be back.

Avatar Image says:

Wiiii… HaPpy!! HeHeHeHe….is he still werewolf???? if he not…I am!!! Add Mee On MSN!! HEHE!! LITTLE WEREWOLFYYYYYYY!!!!!! LY

yes add me on msn: norozrebe@hotmail.com ADD MEEE!!!! WEREWOLFYYY! LY

Avatar Image says:

oh rrandomness!!! heheehehehhehehehehehehehe!!!!!!! you are so cool!!! HEHEHEHEHE! IS FULL MOON IN SLOVENIA TONIGHT!! AGGHHH!!!! WEREWOLFYY! LY

Write a Reply or Comment