First Look at Harry Potter DVD Box Set Due in December

119

Sep 08, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we told you the Harry Potter DVDs were to be released later this year in a High Definition format in a special gift box set. The first look at this set is now online via DVDTimes. This special set, which will contain the first five Harry Potter DVDs (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) features some nifty repackaging of the DVDs. The covers to each of the DVDs now resemble the style of book covers, and say “Year One,” “Year two” etc. along with the title of the film. Contained in what resembles Harry’s trunk or suitcase with the Hogwart’s crest on the front, this set of five DVDs also include what looks like a separate Hogwarts DVD game, trading cards and a nice bookmark set which features Hedwig delivering her letter, a broom, the Prophecy globe, the Snitch, and the Gryffindor Lion badge. Check it out here via DVDtimes. This set will be available the same day as the standard and high definition discs of “Order of the Phoenix” on December 11. We hope to have this available for pre-order soon in our Cauldron Shop, and will update with more on this when we can.

Thanks much to DVD times and R!

42 Responses to First Look at Harry Potter DVD Box Set Due in December

Avatar Image says:

Looks great, but what’s the point of getting this if HBP and DH are coming out in the next five years. Seems just a way to make money. I’ll just get the two-disk Phoenix one. Neat though.

2nd!

Avatar Image says:

That is indeed some nifty packaging… but I agree with Helena. What’s the point of buying a box set now? Unless you’ve somehow managed to not buy any of the previous four films?

Avatar Image says:

Why buy this now, when you can wait for the next two films to come out on DVD and then get the full 7 film boxset?

Avatar Image says:

I think you have missed the main point of this message. This is a High Definition set. Isn’t that new?

Avatar Image says:

GVC, I don’t think it is high def? Where do you see that?

Avatar Image says:

I would love the book marks but I am going to wait until movie seven to buy something like this. By the time the last two films come out there will be yet another format I am sure.

Avatar Image says:

@Amy S – “Previously we told you the Harry Potter DVDs were to be released later this year in a High Definition format in a special gift box set. The first look at this set is now online via DVDTimes.”

Ah, somehow I totally managed to miss that. Thanks. xD

Avatar Image says:

If you go to the website, it doesn’t mention that that gift set is Hi def, so I am hopping it is in regular format because I want it.

Avatar Image says:

“What’s the point?” Seems to be the general feedback on this. It’s quite expensive too, although the extras do look tempting.. I think I’ll wait until the series is finished and they better make something fantastic for the boxset.

Avatar Image says:

even if it is high def, you still will have all seven released later in a high def – or whatever new format they come up with- at a later date. I will just buy the plain jane version and hope they will do a extended cut version of the movies in a box set at a later date. Thats’ the only thing that would make me buy them a second time.

Avatar Image says:

O-M-G! Those look really amazing! I’m a big HP nerd, so I don’t know, I may end up buying the box set! I have the previous four movies. I have watched them so many times that the covers are starting to rip, the DVDs are all scratched, and even the DVD holders are starting to break. I think I might buy them to refresh my Harry Potter movie collection. I don’t know what I will do with the older movies though. Give them to a homeless shelter, give them to charity, or keep them as a prized possession keepsake.

Avatar Image says:

Question: Do you have to have a special Hi-Def DVD player to play the Hi-Def version, or does a regualr DVD player work as well? I have a MacBook which I normally use.

Avatar Image says:

urm yeah. im just gonna buy the regular one… and then get the 7-boxed set in a few years…

and Ian... yes you do haev to have a Hi-Def player… but i think you’ll be ok playing it on a MacBook…

♥padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Erm, Macbooks don’t have HD-DVD players. Theirs are the same as a regular DVD player, so the HD-DVD won’t work.

Avatar Image says:

I need the first 5 again there all messed up now and the gift set looks nifty! I want it sooo bad right now! claws computer monitor

Avatar Image says:

Three words: Gotta have it!!!

Avatar Image says:

I went to my local mall on Thursday, September 6 and entered a store in the mall called Sunset Motion Pictures. They sell movies. They had a DVD box of the movie on display. The cover had the picture of the DA on it from the poster art. I asked them when it would be released. They looked on their list and under Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix it said November. They would not lie about the release month or have a fake box on display. They are very professional.

Avatar Image says:

Lovely for the people who have spent the mega-bucks on HD equipment.

My stuff is only a couple of years old and I’m just not going to replace it any time soon. Too many other important things like MORTGAGES to pay for these days.

Avatar Image says:

i think im going to also go with the overall feeling of these comments and wait till the seventh movie comes out and hope that they come out with an even better box set

Avatar Image says:

The new box set sounds great and all, but it will simply be a waste of money because there will be a box set for the seventh movie that will be worth more buying than this one. Also, as long as I can see the movie and know whats going on, I do not need this HD nonsense. All of this is a ploy for people to spend lots and lots of money for personal gain, which I do not have a problem with. But people need to use their common sense and learn how to live within their means. Picture this: you have already purchased the first four films on DVD, and now you want to buy HD versions of all of them (by the way, which need an HD player to work properly) and buy the current box set. Then, when the seventh movie comes out with more enhanced features, probably including scenes that have not made the final cut or the deleted scenes themselves, then you’ll but that too. Long story short, it is a waste of money, and I for one am going the just going to buy the standard DVD of OOTP for now, and wait for the box set for when the seventh movie is released on DVD, which will be much more worth it.

Avatar Image says:

The new box set sounds great and all, but it will simply be a waste of money because there will be a box set for the seventh movie that will be worth more buying than this one. Also, as long as I can see the movie and know whats going on, I do not need this HD nonsense. All of this is a ploy for people to spend lots and lots of money for personal gain, which I do not have a problem with. But people need to use their common sense and learn how to live within their means. Picture this: you have already purchased the first four films on DVD, and now you want to buy HD versions of all of them (by the way, which need an HD player to work properly) and buy the current box set. Then, when the seventh movie comes out with more enhanced features, probably including scenes that have not made the final cut or the deleted scenes themselves, then you’ll buy that too. Long story short, it is a waste of money, and I for one am going the just going to buy the standard DVD of OOTP for now, and wait for the box set for when the seventh movie is released on DVD, which will be much more worth it.

Avatar Image says:

I love Rupert Grint and i cried when CEDRIC DIGGORY DIED!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yep, looks nice – but we all bought them as they came out! One reason they might have decided to release this fancy edition now is because regular DVD’s could be non-existant by the end of the series. Who knows if we’ll even be able to purchase HBP and DH on DVD? It might all be HD or Blueray or something… I’ll be getting the two-disc and hoping it isn’t my last Harry Potter purchase on regular DVD.

Avatar Image says:

dvdtimes does not mention the HD format on its news, so I guess the boxset concerns the regular edition and not the HD one. And I think I remember reading somewhere that HD DVDs (as opposed to blu ray format) are retrocompatible, which means that they will run on regular dvd players (macbooks included), just not in HD version, that’s all. Hopefully, they will release the same kind of boxset when movie 7 will come out !

Avatar Image says:

Im sure the 7-movie set will be even more elaborate and obviously more comprehensive, so Ill wait on any box sets

Avatar Image says:

I’ll just buy the regular OotP and HBP and wait for the 7-movie set plus extended versions!

Avatar Image says:

The box set looks sooo cool. HP 1-4 run pretty much continuously in my car – inserted by elementary aged, peanut butter covereed fingers – which also spends most of the summer sitting directly in the blistering Arizona sun. (It was a cool 110deg F yesterday). So, a new set that will run only on MY laptop might just be the perfect Christmas present for Mom!

And, woo hoo, The Remus Lupins are coming back to Phoenix on 9/23. And, I found a cool new High Res WRock fanvid site www.hpmv.net. All in all, not a bad Potter weekend.

Avatar Image says:

Looks good but it’s two film to early! I’ll wait for the 7 movie deluxe box set. WITH COMMENTARY on it WB!

Avatar Image says:

@Noz – Not trying to turn this into the avs forums but, plain Blu Ray and HD-Dvd discs will not play on a standard dvd player. HD-Dvd will work if it’s a combo disc, meaning it has the hd movie on one side and the standard movie on the other. However they are going away from doing that b/c they tend to have problems playing in some people’s players. As far as this gift set coming out on standard dvd, I haven’t heard anything about it happening. As far as I know this is only for those that have a blu ray or hd-dvd player. But that could change i suppose with the standard discs on moratorium now.

Avatar Image says:

I stand corrected, did some searching (google is your friend) and came upon this: “Also available from the 11th will be a Harry Potter 1-5 Limited Edition Giftset which includes Harry Potters Years 1-5, a Harry Potter DVD game Hogwarts Challenge, along with a bonus disc containing over 2 hours of enhanced content, an exclusive “Harry Potter’s Bookmark Collection”, and collectible trading cards. This will retail at $119.97. HD DVD and Blu-ray giftsets will also be available for $149.99.”

Ugh, So let the double dipping from warner bros. begin.

Avatar Image says:

Guys, the high-def release of the limited edition gift set will look exactly the same as the standard-definition counterpart. Did you guys hear of the briefcase packaging of the five-disc set of “Blade Runner”? Warners is releasing that set in high-def in the same packaging, and they’ll do the same for the giftset.

The giftset won’t be exclusive to standard-definition or high-def, it’ll be available in all three formats.

Avatar Image says:

As an aside, they will be phasing out standard television for High Definition TVs, so it makes sense to me that standard definition DVDs will also be phased out, most likely within two years.

Avatar Image says:

The 2 disc set can already be preordered on amazon.de (Germany) for EUR 19.95!

Avatar Image says:

The 2disc-edition can be pre-ordered in Germany via Amazon.de. Also, they offer a Gift Box Set including 11 DVDs, trading cards and a trivia game. Could be the mentioned gift edition. The site states that the DVDs will be delivered on November 16.

i’m definitely getting the OOtp one <33333

What about Blu-Ray? BR > HD

Avatar Image says:

ooooeeeewwww! 10 minutes of cut scenes!!!! woowww, what a teaser!!!

what about the other two hunderd days of cut material? Without the full lenght and breth of “Snape’s Worst Memory” any deal is a ripp off.

Avatar Image says:

yeah, I’ll totally wait for the seventh movie before buying any DVD’s… and you can bet than when they do release a 7-movie box, they’ll add extras not features until now so people will go and buy them…

Avatar Image says:

Are the movies in the gift set being released in high-def? Or is WB not releasing the movies in high-def?

Avatar Image says: i agree with many of you, but would love the 7 boxed set and of course in HD in a minute. So i guess we have to wait for that to happen in a few years?!

Write a Reply or Comment