Dan Radcliffe on HBP Film: Tragedy of Slughorn Outweighs Comedy

113

Sep 12, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

MTV has a new interview with Dan Radcliffe now online, where the actor speaks about the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film, and talks about the role of new Potions master Horace Slughorn. Dan does not indicate who will be portraying this pivotal character in the sixth Harry Potter film, but notes that in the movie “most of the time he’s gonna be very funny…but then you will really see the dark side of him.”

Indicating that a key scene to be included will be from the “After the Burial” chapter in HBP, the article says the following:

The dark side, of course, is displayed most prominently in what’s sure to be a vital part of the film ’ Slughorn’s memory of giving young Tom Riddle information on creating horcruxesHarry is ultimately able to retrieve the memory in a moment of great sadness, when he pleads with a sobbing Horace to erase the damage he’s done and honor Lily Potter. It’s moments like these, said Radcliffe, that make “the tragedy [of Slughorn] outweigh the comedy.”

As stated no actor for the role of Horace Slughorn has yet been announced. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is set to commence principal photography later this month.

49 Responses to Dan Radcliffe on HBP Film: Tragedy of Slughorn Outweighs Comedy

Avatar Image says:

Filming is meant to start this week isn’t it? I wonder why there has been no news on who is cast.

Avatar Image says:

Whew! This is one of my favorite chapters in the whole HP series. It is sharp, tragic (but mostly downright silly!)

”...and they snapped his wand in two, which was sad”.

Brilliant.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I think they were supposed to start filming Monday the 10th. Dan virtually gave a countdown in his December Boys interviews, “We start filming in 13 days, We start filming in 9 days, .....”

So yes, I did think that we would start hearing some things.

Avatar Image says:

I want to see Robin Williams as Slughorn!

Avatar Image says:

Too bad Richard Griffiths is already Uncle Vernon. He’d make a great Slughorn. Leo McKern would have been good for this role too…

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm… now I for one would like to see Terry Jones as Slughorn! We need more Pythons in Potter! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

Brian Cox would make for a good Slughorn and Bill Nighy (I hope he’s in the final screenplay) would be a perfect Scrimgeour.

Avatar Image says:

I can see Bob Hoskins as Slughorn! Terry jones would be great to (he has been seen in a VERY fat suit before). Brain Cox is good as well. I already can’t wait to see this one!

Avatar Image says:

Oh good, I’m looking forward to that scene. I forget there’s some good bits to this book. I’m not a fan of the romance stuff.

Avatar Image says:

Michel Alexander – me too (Bob Hoskins)!

Avatar Image says:

Bob Hoskins would be a great Slughorn. There were rumors that it would be Jim Broadbent, but he has two other movies in pre-production coming out in 2008, and he’s still filming the Indiana Jones film. It will be interesting to see what happens.

On a side note, are fans really still debating Slughorn’s motives? He’s complicated, but not that difficult to figure out.

Avatar Image says:

I thought filming started next Monday (the 17th)? Regardless I’m sure a casting announcement will come any day now.

God, I can’t wait for this film!

Avatar Image says:

Yes! I am glad they’re understanding that the books are getting darker, and I hope they do that scene justice.

Avatar Image says:

Ian McNeice should be the perfect Slughorn… :)

Avatar Image says:

go gary waldhorn as slughorn! name says it all.

Avatar Image says:

oh my gosh..i am NOT going to be able to wait over a year for this movie!

i NEED to know who is playing slughorn!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

The Daily News hinted that Jim Broadbent was being pursued for Slughorn (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/bazbamigboye.html?in_article_id=477386&in_page_id=1794)

Avatar Image says:

Sorry … I mean The Daily Mail :)

Avatar Image says:

Well at least we know he’ll be in the movie for sure, that’s something. And also that they are going to have that whole storyline of him (Harry) trying to get the memory from him (Slughorn). Now we just need to know who the heck is going to play him…Hurry up WB!!!

Avatar Image says:

According to the article, it seems that they already have Slughorn cast, but Dan said he didn’t feel it was his place to reveal the name. He said it was a big surprise!.. and yes I, too, would like Bob Hoskins.

Avatar Image says:

What about Clive Swift (Richard Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances)?

Bob Hoskins

But then I just want to see him in HP in any role. He can even play the Wheeping Willow as for as I am concerned.

Avatar Image says:

Bob Hoskins would be terrific, as would Jim Broadbent! I really hope they were able to keep the role of Scrimgeour in the film, as Bill Nighy would be amazing as that role!! We only have a few more days (as filming starts Sept 19th) to find out for sure!!!

Can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

I’d like to see Freddie Jones or David Swift in the role.

Avatar Image says:

Should the producers cast a real fat man or use padding? Would that make a difference to anyone?

Avatar Image says:

Y’know, I really like Slughorn…It always bothered me that there were no “good” Slytherins shown and he was the closest thing we got.

Avatar Image says:

Broadbent is likely not going to be in it, as he has a pretty full schedule already. Likely will go to Hoskins (if he isn’t Amycus Carrow anyway) or someone else entirely.

As for Nighy, I think that, with his face, he’d be perfect for Marvolo.

Avatar Image says:

Why all the secrecy around the actors? We all know Alan Rickman is playing Snape, but has it been announced? Most of the adult actors haven’t let on that they are coming back except Bellatrix and Remus.

Avatar Image says:

weeeeeee!!! HBP News! jumps like a crazy maniac Who will play Sluggy!! I can’t wait till WB announces!! And Lav-Lav as well, oh gosh I am way to excited for all this!

Avatar Image says:

Bob Hoskins would be a good Mundungus Fletcher if they don’t cast him as Slughorn.

Avatar Image says:

Ooohh! Bob Hoskins WOULD make a great Mundungus! I can’t see him as Scrimgeour, though.

Avatar Image says:

Michael Caine as either Marvolo or Scrimgeour.

Brian Blessed or Jim Broadbent as Slughorn (I agree with aughra that Leo McKern would have been perfect)

Avatar Image says:

I’m wondering if its been intentionally kept a secret. Knowing Dan he would usually give his opinion on what it was like to work with whoever played slughorn.

Avatar Image says:

Aw, I was just going to suggest Jim Broadbent. I think Bob Hoskins would be excellent as well. I’m sure there are dozens of fine English actors who would be well-suited for the role, though. Can’t wait to find out.

Avatar Image says:

Great news! That’s one of the most powerful scenes in the series, in my opinion. I was afraid they’d cut that subplot because it’s going to require a lot of screen time to set up properly.

Avatar Image says:

Why oh why do all the links from your RSS feed (which include the article id) get redirected to the main page. So every time, I then I have to search for the article …. aghhhhhh! Please fix this – your new site is an exercise in frustration.

Avatar Image says:

Broadbent is a horrible choice. John-Rhys-Davies is perfect.

Avatar Image says:

Good news, very powerful scene of the book. But I don’t think they’ll show Aragog’s burial.

Avatar Image says:

i don’t mind who plays slughorn as long as they potray his character exactly how he is potrayed in the book!!!

Avatar Image says:

David Yates said in an interview that his first choice to play Rufus Schrimgeour would be Bill Nighy (aka Davy Jones from “Pirates of the Caribbean”), should the character be kept in the final screenplay.

I hope he is, he’d be great as Schrimgeour. >_>

Avatar Image says:

As soon as I saw this actor in this part, I thought ‘Slughorn!’; I’d like to see Martin Clunes, aged up as he was in ‘Goodbye Mr Chips’, playing the role. You’d have to see him in character to get it, otherwise it sounds completely off the wall, but he’d be marvellous. It would make the penseive scenes much easier too as he’s really much younger and slimmer than the Slughorn of HBP is.

Avatar Image says:

What tragedy? Slughorn is a self-serving, creepy old fool whose lack of concern for anyone but his “Slug Club” resulted in two generations of Death Eaters. He also acts amazingly like a child molester grooming his victims.

Someone needs to tell Dan Radcliffe that the tragic figure in the books is Snape.

Avatar Image says:

Can’t wait for HBP. I think it will be the best one yet.

Avatar Image says:

Someone needs to tell ellid that mr. Radcliffe is entitled to his own opinion.

Also whats wrong with self-serving? Slytherin was founded on cuninnig and ambition.

Slughorns tragedy is that his actions resulted in two generations of deatheaters and the murder of one of his favorite students.

Avatar Image says:

Daniel Radcliffe can think Slughorn’s a tragic figure if he wants. there can be multiple tragic figures.

Avatar Image says:

ellid, that’s the way YOU see it, that doesn’t mean it is like that. I’m a fan too and I don’t agree with you, there are many tragic figures in the HP books, it’s not only Snape. Dan knows these books very well, in my opinion better than you obviously, no-one needs to tell him anything, you are quite arrogant, thinking you know more than other fans, and he is a fan.

I’m very happy everytime he talks about the books, Dan obviously loves them, he talks with love and passion about them. Not all HP actors are like that, some of them talk like they don’t care at all about this story, so that makes me appreciate dan even more..

And he is very good keeping secrets, I apreciatte that a lot too. :)

John-Rhys-Davies, Bob Hopkins… you all have given great ideas!

Avatar Image says:

I know he does the audio books, so he’s probably tied down with that, but I’d just love to see Stephen Fry as Slughorn. Wishfull thinking probably.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, when i read this article, the first actor that came to me as Slughorn was Robin Williams! Shame he’s not Brit. I can just imagine him and Dan doing that “memory” pivotal scene—Williams’s Slughorn pleading with Dan’s Harry…

Avatar Image says:

According to Dark Horizons, Jim Broadbent has been cast as Slughorn.

Write a Reply or Comment