Video of Dan Radcliffe Discussing Info from JKR on Fate of Harry Potter

113

Sep 13, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Last week, at a conference call with fan sites, we at TLC asked actor Dan Radcliffe about the fact that author J.K. Rowling had given him insight into the fate of Harry Potter in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Today, MTV asked Dan Radcliffe this same question, and there is now video online of the actor discussing how Jo revealed a tidbit after seeing him in Equus last year before the release of the final book. Dan also is complimentary about fellow actress Evanna Lynch about her insights and predictions she made about “Deathly Hallows” To watch this video (SPOILERS AHOY) click here.

In a related article, Dan discusses the upcoming “Half-Blood Prince” movie, confirming filming begins next week on September 17. Dan notes that he is looking forward to watching co-star Rupert Grint film his scenes as Ron Weasley, when the character has to kiss his new girlfriend Lavender Brown. Dan Radcliffe says “I’m going to be on set pointing at him every time. It’s going to be funny.”

The Harry Potter actor also mentions the film version of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” noting how difficult it will be to get all the material into the script.

“It’s going to be a hell of a challenge for the writer,” he said. “There’s other bits [in other books] you can cut, but I don’t see anything in ‘Deathly Hallows’ you can cut. [Author] Jo [Rowling] always talks about the chapter she had written in her head before anything, when Harry’s going to face Voldemort, and I’m really looking forward to doing that. It should be powerful ” if I don’t screw it up. Of course, I’m saying all this hoping it won’t be cut. I don’t think it can be, it’s so vital.”

To read this article, click here (note to parents, slight mature content with interview)

50 Responses to Video of Dan Radcliffe Discussing Info from JKR on Fate of Harry Potter

Avatar Image says:

that’s kindo of cool but did it ever say if the interview was taken before or after DH was released… i suppose it was before but i’m not sure. I also think that if it was before DH was released that it was kindof rude of Dan to say that (soory but i still love him!) I mean if Jo had wanted us to know that she waould have told us. So to spoil it… well to say “what happens” even if it’s in such a simple way still tells us obviously a major plot line to DH… I know it’s already out but yea I’ll stop rambling… Still luv u Dan.

HPfreak
Avatar Image says:

Can somebody put this on youtube, so those of us outside of the States can see it. Thanks!

Avatar Image says:

Could TLC start a petition of some kind to let Warner Brothers know that we want a nice LONG 7th movie? They need to forget about trying to cut it down to two hours – why not go for 3-4 and do it justice?

Avatar Image says:

This was definitely a recent interview. Up until a few days ago, Dan was still saying that he couldn’t discuss DH, except to say that he felt smug that Jo had sort of answered a question of his. I think he’s just finally decided that most people have read it who care if they are spoiled. As he says, and he’s right, knowing that Harry has a death scene doesn’t come close to giving away the plot.

Avatar Image says:

I would love them to break it into two movies. I just wince at the idea of anything being cut from this book especially. It’s just too perfect as is.

That being said, is there an article discussing some of Evanna’s predictions? I’m very curious.

Avatar Image says:

i actually hate the idea of having two movies. it would really break the flow of it and arbitrarily making a break-off point seems like a bad move with a book like Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

Freddy: I can see that, but I’d rather have a weird flow break than see half the book or more cut from the movie version. It’s just the lesser of two to me. :\ Unless they give us a four hour movie, I’d like two movies. As Danrad said, everything in this book doesn’t seem like it can be cut.

Avatar Image says:

Love this article! I am looking forward to Deathly Hallows on film. I would love a long 6 hour movie or something of the sort.

In the article Dan says that he will have to kiss Emma. Now, maybe I am completely dumb, but I can’t remember a time when Harry and Hermione kiss! So if someone can refresh my memory or tell me if I read that part wrong that would be great!

Avatar Image says:

Amanda: He’s referring to the Slytherin’s locket horcrux scene where the evil riddle!Harry and Hermione duo comes out and taunts Ron.

Harry and Hermione themselves definitely didn’t kiss, hence the evil twin comment.

I would watch a six hour movie, but sadly I don’t think many casual movie goers would. laugh

Avatar Image says:

amanda- it is when harry and ron were trying to kill the locket and it was really riddle-harry and riddle-hermione who kiss.

Avatar Image says:

Kelly- I see your point, but I just think it would be kind of weird to have “Deathly Hallows Part 1” and then whatever months later “Deathly Hallows Part 2”. I say as long as they give it a 3 hours running length, that should be enough.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I completely forgot about that scene! I feel so horrible for not remembering! Thanks so much for reminding me!

Avatar Image says:

Actually, Dan says that “presumably” he will have to kiss emma. the locket destroying scene is my favorite in the whole book, but i really don’t think they’ll keep the riddle-harry/hermione kiss. harry and hermione are already kissing other people in the book, so i think the movie makers will think it will look a bit slutty if harry and hermione kiss each other as well. they love dumbing down the books as we already know. but please let them keep the silver doe chapter in the movie, it’s my favorite chapter in all the books!

Avatar Image says:

I just wanted to add that I think they’ll keep the riddle/harry/hermione in the movie, they’ll just probably stop them right before they kiss. they’ll still embrace though.

Avatar Image says:

....i really just want them to – for once – put the whole story in there. i dont care how long the movie is. it should stay the same.

and the ring thing had better be in there!!! ive waited a LONG time for my snippet of sirius…. and it better be in the movie!!!!!

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Keattie: “The Silver Doe” is also my favorite chapter in the entire series, but I agree that they’ll probably have them just embrace or possibly lean in for the kiss and then it get stopped. Obviously it’s not actually Harry and Hermione kissing, but yeah it might be a bit much on the snogging considering Dan and Emma both also have a kiss with their love interests. I don’t really mind either way (as long as the horcrux destruction scene is there and beautifully done!) though.

The resurrection stone scene will definitely not be cut. I’m completely sure of that.

Avatar Image says:

Is there a way people who are not Americans can see the video?

Avatar Image says:

Two or three movie series shot two movies in a year to keep the plot and make the movie that more enticing to those that were starved for more and to see the whole thing.

I knew that to film Matrix in the time line that weas intended and keep the story it would have to be a part three. Even though we know what will happen we yet want the integrity of the movie kept. My fifth time readin the book will be tonight and I want to see everything happen and not a screenwriters or director’s version of a great ending.

Avatar Image says:

If they really even remotely thought about cutting the confrontation in the forest between H&V and actually carried through with it, I doubt many would want to see it. Truth be told, I don’t think WB is stupid enough to do that :p

Avatar Image says:

I’m pretty sure they’re going to include the evil Harry and Hermoine kiss on the 7th movie, this will draw fans that wanted to see Harry and Hermione together. There is also some kind of media buzz about Emma and Dan as a couple (which they’re not) but the media love their chemistry screen more so than Rupert and Emma together, plus they’re not going to be kids anymore, they are going to be mature young adults with lots of experiences from bf and gf to probably a few more snogs on the screen with projects not related to HP.

Avatar Image says:

this will draw fans that wanted to see Harry and Hermione together.

Why would they try to appeal to every brand of shipper out there? First off it’s not even a Harry/Hermione scene. It’s not them and right after Harry says he thinks of her as a sister. Secondly, if they tried to appeal to every type of fan are they going to make sure every scene with Harry and Draco or Ron and Luna or whatever are there? They don’t even keep all the scenes with the pairings JKR has written. I don’t really think WB is concerned with shippers. Honestly, I actually think that the idea of “we need to keep this to please the fans who liked this couple” won’t even cross their mind.

but the media love their chemistry screen more so than Rupert and Emma together

Well yes but I blame that on how Kloves has written the screenplays. Unlike the books where Ron and Hermione are Harry’s sidekicks- in the movies Harry is the hero, Hermione the heroine, and Ron a lesser comedic sidekick. Kloves for the last movie. Please no!

Avatar Image says:

^ That’s why I’m dreading the actual h-hr kiss image in the film, because between Kloves, the dan/emma fanatics and most of the media, no one will remember that the kiss image is actually supposed to be not only evil and wrong, but also all about Ron and his deepest fears of being considered unworthy. But I bet all we will hear about is “omg squeee dan and emma kissed!111” It’s bad enough that Ron gets completely shafted in the films anyway, but him being so overshadowed in his finest moment of the series would make me so mad. :( I think we’ll be lucky if Ron destroying the horcrux even makes the film in the first place!

Avatar Image says:

Heh, liked the interview.

I’m very dissapointed that the video isn’t viewable outside of the US. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Avatar Image says:

Two movies out of this book would diffinetly spoil both the films in so many ways. One film of at least 3 hours [maybe a little more]would be far better and it would be remembered ,two broken up ones would be dismissed and I want to see ALL of the last of the story at ONCE and not all chopped in peices. I would so irritate me and I know a lot of other film fans would be as well. Even for those of us who LOVE the books and not just people who do not read them but just see the films.

I figured Dan knew far more than he could say.

Avatar Image says:

Lome, www.danradcliffeonline.com has a video download of the MTV interview.

Avatar Image says:

its soooooo not fair that people who are outside of the US can’t whatch that clip because of stupid copyright restictions!!!! what do the harry potter fans in england do????? :(

Avatar Image says:

The only thing that gets my blood boiling is the fact that Titanic was what 4 hours long!!!? And they cant make a decent length film of HP?? Its not like the majority of people still wouldnt go see it! And maybe if they did go more by the books people like my uncle wouldnt be sitting in the theater going “whos that new girl???” and “What the heck are they talking about?” and “What just happened, I dont get the whole prophecy thing.” It just aggrivates me. I like the movies from an average movie goers point of view but if they do to the last 2 movies what they did to the GOF movie, they’ll worth nothing to go see. I would even be happy if they just came out with a longer version just on DVD for avid fans. But im gonna drop it here because now im just ranting, raving, and babbling.

Avatar Image says:

I think we should start a petition for the next 2 movies! To keep as close to the books as possible AND give Ron more scenes!!!! Poor Won Won!!!

Avatar Image says:

I could live without the wedding scene. It’s mostly just informational to sideplots (Dumbledore’s life). The ministry scene illustrates the dictatorial oppression vibe the Wizard world took after Scrimgeour died, but it could be worked around by having Kreacher have the locket (since Mundungus doesn’t even exist in the movies yet, how could he steal it?)

They’ve been avoiding Dobby for three movies now. I wonder if they’ll actually do that scene. It’s one of the most moving ones, but the main plot could be told without it and that’s the thing. This movie can be mangled and the main plot told in time, but all those ‘unnecessary’ scenes are usually the coolest.

I’m all for evil-Harry and evil-hermione kissing. Just make them look really different with special effects (like glowing red and having weird voices. Make them inhuman yet recognizable). The kiss should be the catalyst to push Ron into breaking the thing. Anything else would be too tame.

Avatar Image says:

ElCaz: Yah that’s what it is supposed to be like in the book, but I’m terribly worried about it looking cheesy. The whole scene, actually. Every way I imagine it done in my head, it looks corny. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I think the wedding will stay. Look how they played up the Yule Ball. I’m sure it will be shortened though. I will be REALLY peeved if the ministry visit gets cut. It is one of the most frightening parts of the book.

Oh gosh, please don’t cut Dobby’s death! I was thinking about how some deaths will likely be cut. It seems odd to get deaths, but eh. I would bet money on Colin Creevey not dying.

One thing I’m very much looking forward to is the Gringotts break in and escape. I have a feeling that will look great on film.

Iona: I agree with this completely! I did not mind the kiss in the book at all, but I’m really dreading it in the movie for those reasons. It would be so irritating to see Ron (and the other actual kisses between characters) overshadowed because of it, when it is supposed to be his scene.

Avatar Image says:

The rH/rHr kiss/embrace has to be kind of lewd really. Sort of wrapping themselves round each other (snake-like) is how I imagined, which has to end in a kiss really to be really provocative and spur Ron on.

I also want the ring scene to be right and include everyone, and Dobby’s GOT to be in it! That’s such an emotional scene. They both are.

Avatar Image says:

how about, for everyone complaining that the movies aren’t long enough or whatev, try to not get all offended like hollywood is making an assault upon the harry potter fans… they’re not made for fans of the books exclusively, they’re made, from the studio’s standpoint, solely to make money. from the director’s standpoint, they’re made to allow him artistic expression in this particular medium. same from the screenwriter, set designer, et al; allow the creators of the film some artistic freedom; don’t demand everything be “just like the book” because books and film are completely different monsters: some things from the books ought to be cut from the film. Some things from the films ought never to show up in a future revision of the print material. basically, just don’t be so selfish… it’s really irritating to read.

Avatar Image says:

god, i hate dan radcliffe.

I cant view it coz I in th UK

Avatar Image says:

god, i love dan radcliffe.

Avatar Image says:

All movies have to be cut but the problem with DH is that there’s so much that’s important. I fear the whole film will be like the beginning of GoF, where you had to buckle up your safety belt because it went at breakneck speed.

The only thing about the ministry scene I liked was the “magic is might” statue and the general ‘nazi’ vibe. It isolated Harry and Co. tremendously in the book. I guess we’ll get some short and to the point scene and then CUT! Back to Grimmaulds! Sort of like they did with the World Cup.

Avatar Image says:

Agrees with milly of course! GO DAN!

Avatar Image says:

In the end I think it will be quite easy for them to break DH down into a 2hr30min movie (they’ll never make it 3 hours, we have to face that).

There’s no way the Ministry scenes will be in the movie, absolutely no way. They will cut Umbridge having the locket and make it so they simply do a straight swap with the lockets with Kreacher.

A LOT of DH is made up of them camping and travelling – all of this will be cut, apart from the Silver Doe moment. Ron will NOT leave them for days and days, they’ll have an argument and he’ll just storm off into the forest, returning that night to save Harry.

When Snape is dying, Harry will look into his eyes and he’ll see Snape’s memories there and then, he won’t go up to the Pensieve as this would waste time.

The Epilogue will be CUT because it’s too schmaltzy. The only thing that could have saved it for me was if DUDLEY had been on the platform with his son or daughter who was going to Hogwarts! That would have been great.

Avatar Image says:

The epilogue will not be cut. I would bet money on that.

Avatar Image says:

What is up with MTV’s website. I downloaded the flash plugin successfully but it still won’t play.

Anyway can’t wait for the next two movies. As far as scenes from book seven I know they will have to cut some scenes, as good as they are in the book, they may not work as well in the adaptation to preserve the flow of the movie. Having said that I also don’t think that WB should be afraid of boring us rabid fans if a movie should skirt the 3 hour mark.

Avatar Image says:

I think weve seen Dan say the same thing during OotP interviews. But I am soooo excited about the next movie. Hopefully we’ll be getting in som great pictures by November of the HBP. SQUEEEE, I cant wait!!!

Avatar Image says:

Eeee! Filming starts on my birthday! Wish I could be right there with Dan, pointing and snickering at Rupert and Lav-Lav!

Avatar Image says:

Good question, El caz… they had better do the Dobby scene or I will be soooooooooooo mad! Dobby is just awesome and I love him and i will say no more on the subject!

Avatar Image says:

No, Kerri, because during OotP interviews DH haven’t been released yet. :) So all these is new. I hope they include the Harry-Riddle and Hermione-Riddle kiss. I’m a H/G shipper, but I think Dan and Emma have much more on-creen chemistry than Emma and Rupert (who in my opinion don’t have any chemistry at all, which is a pity). It’s not a thing of the scripts, it’s just that Dan has a lot of chemistry with all the actresses he works with, even with Evanna! And his cenes with Bonnie in OotP show a lot of chemistry too, even with just a few lines between them. So I would like to see the kiss, and I’m sure there are a lot of fans of them who would go to watch the movie many times because of that. So if WB is intelligent they will include it.

Avatar Image says:

Personally, I hope they keep the Harry and Hermione kiss in the last movie. Not because of any shippy reason but because it will make Ron’s tortorous jealousy more real and agonizing. It would also stress how diabolical Voldemort can be to see the deepest insecurity of a person and turn it against them. It would emphasize the dark lord’s evilness and help the moviegoers visualize what made ROn soo insecure. Besides, It would be cinematically great visuals too.

Avatar Image says:

if the horcrux scene is done the same way it is in the book, then they might just do the kiss by CGI or something, since it’s supposed to be a twisted, evil, snake like version of Harry and Hermione. They might only use the actors’ voices. I could see this happening. The movies aren’t made to placate the Dan/emma and Harry/Hr crazies, no matter what they chose to believe.

Avatar Image says:

sorry luna, but cgi is pretty expensive, and why would the wb skip out on a chance to have h/hr hot up, when so many of the audience has wanted to see it? Look at all the reporters who have mentioned that coupling, like the CBS anchor and Regis from Regis and Kelly (now HE’s going to have a field day on that scene when it comes to promo time lol). Like it or not, it’s a drawing card, and not only that, it’s IN THE BOOK. (Canon, y’know?)

Avatar Image says:

I love how cocky Dan is being about wanting to watch poor Rupert and Emma doing their screen kiss for the movie, when it seems to have slipped his mind he’ll have to kiss Emma too (as was clearly written in the book, unless it’s cut for the film which would be stupid). Bless him, what a dope (I mean that in an affectionate way, not meaning to insult as I find it very funny).

Avatar Image says:

Having read the comments here (after posting) it appears Dan has recognised that he’ll have to kiss Emma too (I can’t view the video as I’m not from the US, can someone please do something to make it available for everyone, or at least provide a transcript?).

Avatar Image says:

well, it’s incredibly irritating that the r/hr shippers think that h/hr kiss shouldn’t be in movie 7,despite it being canon. They are so afraid that “that” kiss will overshadow the r/hr kiss, never mind that it is more important to the plotline. They seem to forget the story is about Harry (y’know, “Harry Potter and the…”, not Ron Weasly and the” lol)

Write a Reply or Comment