112

Sep 17, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

In an exclusive interview with our friend Garth Franklin of Dark Horizons, actor Jim Broadbent confirms that he has been cast in the role of new Potions Master Horace Slughorn for the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film.

The actor, who says he has read the Harry Potter books, confirms he will play the pivotal character in the sixth Harry Potter film which is in rehearsals this week and is set to begin filming shortly. Jim Broadbent, best known for his roles in “Moulin Rouge,” the “Bridget Jones” films, and for his Academy Award winning role in “Iris” says the following:

Who are you?

Broadbent: Who am I? He’s called Horace Slughorn. He’s a retired teacher of magic who’s drawn back out of retirement because he’s got some secrets they need in the battle against the Deatheaters and he’s quite star struck as a teacher and he’s drawn back into the fold because he likes to notch up celebrity students, and he’s drawn back by Harry.

Question: Is he a comic character?

Broadbent: He is quite a comic character, yes. I haven’t started yet. I’ve had endless costume fittings and makeup and …

Question: What kind of costumes?

Broadbent: Tweedy sort of things with a bit of padding. He’s an older man, I’m aging up again.

UPDATE: You can see some additional photos of the actor here in our galleries. “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince “is due for release November 21, 2008.

Thanks much to Dark Horizons and to Cameron for the heads up!

111 Responses to Actor Jim Broadbent: I am Horace Slughorn in the New “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” Film

Avatar Image says:

OMG! Seriously? This is awesome! I think he’ll make an awesome Slughorn!

Avatar Image says:

Brilliant casting. Id have prefared Bob Hoskins and Jim to be Xenophilias but i amd very very pleased Jim’s joined the cast!

he looks so much like Slughorn I imagined! LOL

Avatar Image says:

Jim Broadbent isn’t exactly how I imagined Slughorn, but with an actor like that, you know Slughorn will be great in the movie!

Avatar Image says:

I love Jim Broadbent. He’s a wonderful actor (see Longford), and I think his Slughorn will be spot on.

Avatar Image says:

Oh that is perfect! He was top my list to play that part! Do you guys not reckon Bob Hoskins would be a great Mundungus?

Avatar Image says:

Broadbent was in The Borrowers with Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy)How exciting!

He isn’t what I pictured, but I’m sure they will work their “Movie Magic” and fatten him up a bit.

Do you think they will ever write in Madungus? He is kinf of vital in Deathly Hallows, maybe they will randomly throw him in HBP or something?

Yates had better not ruin Dumbledore’s death scene!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, incredible :) My photomontage : http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1507/sluks2.jpg

PERFECT!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’ll put my two cents in and agree that he’ll be great. Boy, the casting people in these movies are amazing. Or maybe it’s a testament to quality British actors.

Avatar Image says:

OMG YAY! How how how how HOW perfect.

Avatar Image says:

Not how I imagined Slughorn to look initially, but I’m sure with some rice-padded stomach like with Mrs. Weasley and a moustache he’ll do just fine. :)

Avatar Image says:

Wow! He looks like he’ll be really good as Slughorn! Was talking bout this with my friend just this morning!

Avatar Image says:

Bet he’d be thrilled to see us all say that he looks perfect for the part.

Avatar Image says:

I was hopinfg for Bob Hoskins,but jim broadbend will be wonderful. He is up to the task of bringing the character to life very well.

I have NOT given up on Bob Hoskins at some point being in a HP film. PLEASE WB!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I think Jim is a great actor, but, I just don’t see him as Slughorn! I was hoping for Albert Finney :(

that picture of him TLC used, with better combed hair, IS Horace Slughorn

Avatar Image says:

i don’t him as like slughorn, but i’m shure he’ll be just fine.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome, he’s going to nail that character. I can’t wait until next November!

Avatar Image says:

EGH. SO not right for the role. Pity.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I bet he’ll make a great Sluggy!

yayyyyyyyyyyy

Oh my goodness. Finally. Yes. Thank you.

I like the choice! But hey, this IS Slughorn:

Avatar Image says:

This is what I prayed for! Casting Jim Broadbent is a big sign that WB and Yates are going very much in the right direction for the HBP film. And it makes me wonder if they’ve been reading Leaky for casting ideas! Dead on!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful! I really like their choice for Sluggy. Being a fan of Bridget movies, I think I am going to enjoy this choice ;)

BRILLIANT.

Avatar Image says:

OMG! Perfect! And I didn’t even think of him at all!

Avatar Image says:

well atleast we know what memory will be there.. but we always knew that because that is such an important memory bnot to include it will be such a tragedy… i wonder what memories they will include in this book

Avatar Image says:

He’s got round, slightly protruberant eyes, and a bit of a double chin. All they have to do is put a huge fat suit on him, and he’ll be great.

Avatar Image says:

i was listening to pottercast 117 yesterday and during the news they mentioned jim broadbent as a rumor! and i agreed that he’d be awesome!

i am so happy they got him! amazing! i just hope the writers do justice to the character! i have faith that broadbent will do a good job with the character if they manage to write it well.

Avatar Image says:

He’s an excellent actor i’m sure he’ll do a great job! I’m really pleased with this even if he doesnt look exactly how i imagined him, actually nobody does!

Anazing news !

Such a good actor !

Avatar Image says:

I heard this as a rumor a week or so ago, and it seemed odd since he had two other films going into production next year (according to IMDB). He’s not exactly how I imagined Old Sluggy, but I think he’ll do a great job.

Avatar Image says:

I LOVED Jim in Moulin Rouge… Such a fantastic job of casting.

I can’t wait to see what he does with the roll.

Avatar Image says:

That is perfect casting, they really have hit the nail on the head for the majority of the parts in these movies.

Avatar Image says:

Ah-HA! I emailed this to the site admins a couple weeks ago and was right! Terrific choice!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with david. Jim Broadbent would definitely be a better Xeno Lovegood. I wanted Slughorn to be uglier and plumper. =[

I got a snail and named him Slughorn. He lives with my fish James, Lily, and Harry. =]

Avatar Image says:

Love it!!!! Jim will be great!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hey guys, what do you think about casting Bill Nighy as Greyback in Deathly Hallows?

Hopefully, Greyback’s character will make it to the screen. I think Nighy would be a great choice!

Avatar Image says:

Out of all the actors that have not yet appeared in a Potter film and the few that could be Slughorn, he is the one. He’s also the one actor who popped into my head when I was reading the book. How wonderful, I bet he’ll look even more fantastic once things start rolling and he’s all dressed up and doing the role.

Avatar Image says:

He is perfect!! My workmates and I were discussing this a few weeks ago and he was my first choice. This is brilliant!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Great! I can’t think of anyone better for the role :)

Avatar Image says:

Large eyes? Booming voice? Jim Broadbent could do Slughorn! I can’t wait to see him in this.

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone seen the movie Hot Fuzz? Jim Broadbent was in that movie and did a fantastic job! I think he will be perfect for Slughorn. It’s exciting that they are working on this movie! 8)

Avatar Image says:

Broadbent will probably be good BUT i wanted anthony hopkins so much!!

And wouldn’t Paul Bettany be perfect as Xenophilius Lovegood for the last movie? Is he British though?

Avatar Image says:

BRILLIANT! I’ve said I’d be happy if they cast Jim Broadbent or Bob Hoskins as Slughorn…so I’m completely happy!!!

I can’t wait for more news to slip out now that filming has begun!

Avatar Image says:

As much as I thought about it, it never would enter my mind that Jim Broadbent would be Slughorn in the HBP film. But he has a specific visual look (namely fat and mostly bald), so I hope they get that right too. But Broadbent is a good choice, I think.

Avatar Image says:

He’s pretty good! I bet it will be great. I think he would be great for Xeno also, but i saw him as a skinny person.

Finally! Some new news!

Cool! I liked him in Moulin Rouge.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Now if we can only get Clive Owen as Greyback and Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour I think I’ll be happy ^^

Avatar Image says:

Yippie!!!! Hooraayyyyyy! I have seen many of Jim Broadbents films, and he can be both serious, comic, sad and sardonic… Thanks for another good casting!

Avatar Image says:

Nice choice! I’m with you, David. I thought he’d be great as Xenophilias (especially after seeing him in Narnia) and I thought of Bob Hoskins at first for Slughorn, but…yeah. Broadbent is a great actor; he’ll do very well as Slughorn!

Avatar Image says:

Jimi, how is it that Mundungus is vital in DH?

Avatar Image says:

Another role that Harry Potter fans might know him from is as Professor Kirke in the recent film version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. He was excellent in that!

Avatar Image says:

Check out this new interview and article on the MTV website on ole Sluggie :)

Yes, a good choice.

I suspected that Broadbent had been cast since his appearance at the London OotP premiere. (Nice to be right for once as my casting theories are usually wrong!)

Avatar Image says:

Someone said that he was in the borrowers with tom felton.. but you forgot about mark williams (arthur weasley).. who plays the milk man i believe.. and i believe someone else from the potter franchise was in that movie..

I called it!!

I knew he would play that character.

He would be totally great. He’s perfect for the part. He’s got a caring look in his face (especially his eyes) and he can bring complexity to that character.

Just get Brian Cox as Scrimgeour and we’re ready to go!

Avatar Image says:

OMG Brillant! I am so happy about this casting! He is an amazing actor and i cant wait to see where he takes this role.

Avatar Image says:

Ha!! A couple months back i said in a comment that jim broadbent would make the perfect slughorn, i knew he would be casted.

Avatar Image says:

Perfect. This is exactly who I wanted.

Clive Owen for Greyback, anyone? :D

Avatar Image says:

I knew Broadbent was going to be a cast member, here’s why:

I saw pictures of Jim Broadbent at the London OOTP premiere, and now he’s a cast member

I saw pictures of Imelda Staunton at the London GOF premiere, and she was then cast in OoTP

I saw pictures of Gary Oldman at the London CoS premiere, and he as was cast in PoA

One more thing… Clive Owen was also at the OoTP premiere… could he possibly have a part?

Avatar Image says:

NO!!! I was praying for Brian Cox!

And Steven, do you REALLY think Cox should be cast as Scrimgeour? I think that would be awful! I wish they had gotten Gary Oldman to be old Rufus, and chosen someone else for Sirius….

Avatar Image says:

YES!!!!!! He always plays such wonderful characters…. but I am worried about him being fat enough…......

Avatar Image says:

Albert finny isn’t brittish, is he? Anyway jim broadbent will do an accelent job.

Avatar Image says:

I think he’s PERFECT! OMG, seriously, imagine what he’ll look like with a bit of padding and a great walrus mustache. The casting crew makes great decisions and I am thorughly thrilled with HBP coming out. It’s somthing we can actusally latch onto now that the books are done!

looks a good choice.

to those wondering, paul bettany and albert finney are both british.

Avatar Image says:

Spot on! Fantastic casting!!! :)

Avatar Image says:

I kinda pictured Mr Lovegood as a Martin Short type character, with the looks of Mr. Malfoy, but really goofy, the way he was when he played Frik in Merlin when he was “seducing” Helena Bonham Carter’s Morgan Le Fey, I know he isn’t British, but that is how I pictured Luna’s dad.

But as I have said almost everyone they have chosen so far has been perfect and almost everyone was who I wanted it to be…Gary Oldman, Helena Bonham Carter, Kenneth Branagh, just perfect, I think Jim Broadbent will be just as wonderful!

Avatar Image says:

This man has won an Acadamy Award, Golden Globe AND a BAFTA for acting!! That’s something even Imelda Staunton (Professor Umbridge) has never done. Once they fatten him up he’ll be perfect for the part!! BTW this is the actor who played Professor Kirk in The Chronicels of Narnia!

Avatar Image says:

My god, that is some kick-ass casting! Now WB please announce that you have cast Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour, and I’ll be one happy camper… :)

Avatar Image says:

Not how I pictured him, but everyone says he’s a good actor, so we’ll see…

Avatar Image says:

OMG! I love Jim Broadbent. He’s so great it Moulin Rouge, and he’ll make a perfect Slughorn (once he has the fat suit of course)

Avatar Image says:

Not to nit-pick, but in the HBP, Slughorn was shorter than Harry. From the their Bio’s, Jim Broadbent is 6’1” and Daniel Radcliff is lucky to be 5’6.” Wouldn’t Bob Hoskin’s be a better pick at least he’s 5’6” as well. With added padding he’ll look shorter.

Avatar Image says:

Hoskins is going to be Amycus methinks…

As for Nighy, everyone says Greyback or Scrimgeour, but honestly I think he would absolutely ABSOLUTELY shine as Marvolo Gaunt. He has the face and it’s definately within his known range…

Avatar Image says:

I can also see Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour or Marvolo.

Bottom line – I would LOVE to see Nighy in an HP film, no matter what the role.

PLEASE WB!

Avatar Image says:

finally!!! i couldnt wait to hear this!!!

i hope greyback gets on… and bill and charlie….

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

I always thought Tom Baker or Julian Fellowes would be great in the role, but Jim Broadbent is one of the most amazing actors ever so he will be perfect! Excellent casting!

Avatar Image says:

The man’s perfect for the role.

Avatar Image says:

wow i’ve never seen him but he looks like what i imagined slughorn would look like can’t wait

Avatar Image says:

and he has read the 6th book! at least he know a bit about his character, which is awesome!

Avatar Image says:

Veryyy good ! He read the books ? ( I heard he only read the 6th one…). Anyways, unlike Michael Gambon ( ¬.¬ ), he will do a great job, I’m sure !

Avatar Image says:

Yes! I love him! He’ll be perfect.

Avatar Image says:

OHH he’s perfect for the role!!

Avatar Image says:

I saw half of the movies he was in, and he is the perfect actor to play Slughorn.

Avatar Image says:

Jim never occured to me as a candidate for Slughorn but he is a fantastic actor and I really think he’ll do a great job. As for some of the other roles, I think Bill Nighy is perfect for Scrimgeour, rather than Marvolo or Greyback, and I would love love love it if Simon Callow played Xenophilius. I also picture a sort of Rhy Ifans-ish look for Morfin Gaunt. There is an endless list of people who would be good as the Muggle Prime Minister (if not cut). Someone like a Stephen Rea or a Colin Firth would seem an obvious first choice to me.

Avatar Image says:

An unexpected, but brilliant, choice. I am beyond pleased, a fantastic actor, who will bring both the pomposity and vulnerability of Slughorn to the screen in spades!

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t matter if he’s 6 1…the magic of movies can still make him shorter than Dan Radcliffe! Hagrid’s supposed to be 8 foot isn’t he? and Robbie Coltrane is only 6 foot or so. if they can go one way they can go the other. lol

Maybe they will film him sitting down lol!

I can’t see them adding Mundungus to the movies. They might in a sort of way to the Seven Potters scene – they will need seven of them after all but he wouldn’t have to talk or anything that scene will be shortened I am sure but surely they cannot put off casting Bill much longer???? They can’t write him out of HBP, surely???? Now HE’S important to Movie Seven – his wedding makes the trio leave the Burrow, his house they go to afterwards… So who else was at the OotP premiere???? lol

WICKED!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

mundugus needs to be in movie 7, he is the one telling that the locket is in umbridge possession. So unless they makes some serious changes in this.

Didn’t saw much of Jim’s acting,only Narnia, but he looks like he’ll make a good slughorn.

Avatar Image says:

oh i have a feeling old Jim will be perfect as dear Horace. i could imagine him wearing the smoking velvet coat and holding the crystallized pineapple. =) the HBP movie on november of next year? that’s a stone’s throw away! gad so exciting!

Avatar Image says:

Brilliant. He’s an awesome actor. Can’t wait for HBP!

Avatar Image says:

Great casting! Samantha Morton for Narcissa Malfoy!!!!

Avatar Image says:

He’ll be a great Slughorn. Jim Broadbent is amazing.

Avatar Image says:

Doubt this will happen, but I think Naomi Watts would be a great choice for Narcissa.

Did anyone see her at the OOTP premiere??? :)LOL

Avatar Image says:

I can’t even put in to words how happy i am with the casting of Jim as Slughorn. He’s amazing and i know that he will be the perfect Slughorn :D Now i really want to know who’s playing Narcissa!

Avatar Image says:

Looks like he’ll make an awsome Slughorn, I just wish the would have cast Peter O’ Toole as Dumbledore.. I can’t bring myself to like Gambon and I just think someone should just tell him that Dumbledore is actually quite different to the character he portrays in the movies :( fatal mistake. Hope Jo or someone helps him change.. especially now in HBP, you have to really like him so the ending is as powerful as in the book…

Avatar Image says:

I think Joely Richardson would be PERFECT as Narcissa prays Paul Bettany will be cast as Xeno too

Avatar Image says:

I wish they recast Peter O’Toole as Dumbledore, but I doubt they’ll change the actor again (even though Richard Harris – unfortunately – died). At the most I think all the film makers could do would be to ask Michael Gam-baboon to start acting like Dumbledore. Simply put, the man’s awful as our dear Albus. I was watching an interview with him where he said he wasn’t even trying to be like Dumbledore (not that he would know, seeing as how he’s never read the books!) but rather he said he’s just trying to be a variant of himself! If only I were Jo, to tell him he’s ruining my films…

Avatar Image says:

Ahh, he was brilliant as Mr. Squeers in Nicholas Nickleby and in Chronicles of Narnia as Professor Kirke – perfect for the role of Slughorn! (Even though these three characters named here are polar opposites, lol)

AAAAH

that is so exciting!

i think he’ll do an amazing job as slughorn!!

Avatar Image says:

He looks exactly like i thought slughorn would, which is brilliant!!!!! I hope he is a good actor aswell!!!!

Avatar Image says:

SWEET. another perfect choice, cant wait!!!

Avatar Image says:

Ha,I don’t know why,but I always wanted to see Anthony Hopkins as Slughorn(but then again I wanted to see Keira Knightley as Tonks,but that never happened).I’m sure Broadbent will be perfect as Slughorn,he’s great,loved him in Moulin Rouge.

Avatar Image says:

I am so thrilled and excited about Jim being cast. Yet another actor I pictured while reading the book and he’s now been cast (I think I’ve cast about 90% of the adult cast while reading the books, before the films were cast). He is going to be so awesome. I feared we wouldn’t get him because he’s also in the Narnia Chronicles but this is seriously wicked news, he will totally do Slughorn justice. Sometimes I doubt the casting people on the HP films (cos I think a few of the kids are very wrong) but then they do something like this and totally redeem themselves.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I love Jim Broadbent! I was hoping they’d eventually cast him in a Potter film. Now if they could only get Bob Hoskins to be Mundungus Fletcher…..

Avatar Image says:

He’s not how I imagined Slughorn, but he is still suitably Slughornish, so I’m happy about this.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, so many people saw Bob Hoskins as Slughorn (as did I). Broadbent’s good though.

I want Ian McShane to play Greyback.

Avatar Image says:

What about Olivia d’Abo as Narcissa Malfoy? She’s certainly proven that she can play “evil” as Nicole Wallace on “Law & Order: Criminal Intent”.

Avatar Image says: cool cool