221

Sep 18, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Following on the heels of what we first told you this morning about the November 12 release date set in the UK, comes official word of a DECEMBER 11 release date here in the United States for the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD.

Almost one month to the date after the UK release of the disc, Warner Brothers has now announced the US will see the “Order of the Phoenix” DVD arrive on shelves “on Single Disc in widescreen and full frame formats for $28.98 SRP and on 2-Disc Special Edition DVD in widescreen format for $34.99 SRP…Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will also be available on HD/DVD Combo for $35.99 SRP and on Blu-ray disc for $35.99 SRP. ”

The press release also notes that again there will be a special gift box set available on the same day of December 11, with WB breaking down all the various extras as follows:

• DVD ELEMENTS

The 2-Disc Special Edition DVD contains the following special features: Additional Scenes: 17 minutes of never-before-seen footage.Trailing Tonks – Spend a day with Actress Nat Tena and receive a very personal and often wacky tour of the Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix stages.Harry Potter: The Magic of Editing – Director David Yates and Editor Mark Day show what a difference a good edit makes to allow the viewers to edit a scene. A&E Documentary: The Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter – Viewers take a thrilling look back at the past Harry Potter films in search of clues to the mysteries of the upcoming Harry Potter saga. ROM – This will include a timeline, a link to sneaks of HP6,along with other materials.

• The HD/DVD combo contains the following special features:

Additional Scenes: 17 minutes of never-before-seen footage. Trailing Tonks – Spend a day with Actress Nat Tena and receive a very personal and often wacky tour of the Harry Potter andThe Order of the Phoenix stages. In Movie Experience – Join the cast from Dumbledore’s Army as they come together to share memorable moments. Harry Potter: The Magic of Editing – Director David Yates and Editor Mark Day show what a difference a good edit makes to allow the viewers to edit a scene. Web-Enabled Features: Pick Your Favorite Scene – Assemble favorite clips from the movie to create a montage. Live Community Screening – Viewers can create, organize, and invite their buddies to their very own screening. Mobile Downloads – Viewers can scan and select cool images and ringtones to send to their mobile phones.

• The Blu-ray disc contains the following special features:

Additional Scenes: 17 minutes of never-before-seen footage. A&E documentary: The Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter – Viewers take a thrilling look back at the past Harry Potter films in search of clues to the mysteries of the upcoming Harry Potter saga. Trailing Tonks – Spend a day with Actress Nat Tena and receive a very personal and often wacky tour of the Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix stages. Focus Points – Enjoy these fun and fascinating “making of”f eaturettes to discover just what is involved to create those amazing scenes and characters. Harry Potter: The Magic of Editing – Director David Yates and Editor Mark Day show what a difference a good edit makes to allow the viewers to edit a scene.

• The Limited Edition Gift Set contains the following additions:

Hogwarts Challenge – A bonus disc containing a unique interactive DVD gaming experience with 14 adventure games based on the first three Harry Potter films, and containing clips from the fourth and fifth films. Bonus materials – A bonus disc containing more than three hours of all-new content from the past Harry Potter films. Collectibles: The Harry Potter Bookmark Collection – Five unique souvenir metal bookmarks made especially for this gift set. Harry Potter Trading Cards – Collect them all with these four packages containing cards from the first four films

• We will update you once these become available for pre-order in our Cauldron Shop

69 Responses to Attention US Harry Potter Fans: “Order of the Phoenix” DVD to Arrive December 11

Avatar Image says:

OMG ! I’m soooo excited ! Can’t wait! :)

Avatar Image says:

Wow, that’s only a week before my sister’s birthday… good timing!

Avatar Image says:

17 minutes of deleted scenes versus the reported 10 minutes before! Maybe we’ll get more of Snape’s Worst Memory after all…

But let me get this straight. So the UK gets it Nov. 12 and the US Dec. 11…that’s a whole month’s difference!

Avatar Image says:

Can someone please explain to me why Americans must wait a month longer than the British in order to obtain the DVD? I am not upset that we must do so here in the states, but I do find it a peculiar move on the part of Warner Brothers Home Video, a company that should be smart enough to realize how much this decision will disappoint American fans.

Avatar Image says:

No offence, but I don’t think Americans should complain about the 1 month delay. How often do you guys get movies there FIRST as compared to the rest of the world? Maybe it’s a December release because it’s so close to Xmas and therefore they will probably get a HUGE amount of sales. The British deserve to have the DVD first – it IS a British film, after all. Australia probably won’t get it until after the U.S. either, but I don’t know for sure.

Excellent!

It’s about time we Brits got some film related stuff before the US… particularly when it’s a (sort of) a British film :P

Avatar Image says:

it is not a british movie. it has british actors and a bsritish director but warner brothers who funded the movies is an american company

Avatar Image says:

Oh, come on, folks. The Brits deserve one first. We’re just envious – but we’ll all have it soon enough! Cheers!

Avatar Image says:

Is it just me or is this one much more expensive than the past four? Not that I’m complaining. I’m soooo excited, especially since it’s being released just two days before my birthday!

Avatar Image says:

why is it so expensive??

Avatar Image says:

yay, im just excited to have a date to look forward to – i dont mind waiting a month longer than the UK, i mean it wont be that big of a deal

Avatar Image says:

Melissa – it’s British enough for me XD!

I wanna know when us Aussies get it :( It would be cool if it was near Xmas!

Avatar Image says:

Dang, we gotta wait a month? Well, I guess it’s only fair since we here in the US got the movie in theatres a day before the UK :p

Avatar Image says:

Wow that’s amazing!!! I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

so its - more expensive - a month later ... geeze …

Avatar Image says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Just in time for Yule/Christmas/Chanukah/whatever winter holiday you celebrate =D

Avatar Image says:

ONE MONTH after the UK release date? WHAAAAAT?

Avatar Image says:

If you clik on the link from Leaky to the story about the release date and scroll to the bottom there is a link to e-mail the WB video people or a phone number to call them. I think I will be letting them know that I hate that date. Hello WB, two weeks before X-mas and Hanukkah is just about over. I won’t have any money left from day after Thanksgiving shopping to spend on OOTP. :(

Avatar Image says:

So let me get this straight.

The UK gets it on 12/11 (British date format).

The US gets it on 12/11 (American date format).

Is that the weirdest coincidence ever?

And what if the Brits’ release date had been 13/11 – then when would the US get it? (Stupid calendar… be having more months!)

:-)

Avatar Image says:

I told you guys about it earlier, but no you kept on dismissing the cover art as fake and “not an official announcement”.

Although I thought for sure OOTP would be the WB’s first feature length movie to get a DVD/HD-DVD combo release across all three formats. Oh well, the WB will eventually re-release the HD-DVD as a single-sided disc.

Avatar Image says:

I am disappointed that I have to wait a month to get Order of the Phoenix. But why does the Special Edition not come in Full Screen??

Avatar Image says:

Thats quite the time difference…however i dont really mind because

A: we geta whole 7 extra minutes of additional footage (which, fingers crossed, will include SWM in full) and B; i wouldn’t be getting the DVD till christmas anyways

its all good. I’m prety excited now!

Avatar Image says:

I understand the one or two day difference for the theater release, but why a MONTH for the DVD-I’m pretty sure it’s not just because it’s a British movie- what kind of reasoning is that?? I just can’t comprehend their thinking, lol. Well, at least we have release dates. :)

Avatar Image says:

For those who are wondering why it’s so expensive, I’m assuming that the price that Leaky has listed in the retail price. Once it gets into stores they’ll lower the price by $8-$10. I’m pretty sure Amazon will lower it down to $25.99-$27.99.

And as for the release date, it’s all marketing. It’s two weeks before the Christmas, so they’ll know that’s when they’ll get the most money. Most summer movies are coming out around the same time as well, if not later.

Avatar Image says:

Compare the special features between the British and the American DVDs….I think that may be a part of the reason for the delay

Avatar Image says:

That is way too late to release it in the US. Most people will have completed their Christmas shopping by then and won’t purchase it. If they want it to be a big Christmas hit, it needs to be out before the post-Thanksgiving shopping weekend. Granted the die hard HP fan will buy it no matter when it comes, but not the general public.

Avatar Image says:

sigh. i wish it was coming earlier….

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think either side of the ocean “deserves” it earlier, honestly.

As for the 28.98/34.99- that’s SRP, suggested retail price. DVD stores (and sites) always sell it for substantially less than that. Although it does appear to be a bit higher than the SRP on GoF.

Now let’s hope that extra seven minutes of footage includes some good stuff.

Avatar Image says:

This really sucks! I have to buy the two-disc version, the HD version, and the Limited Edition version to get all the extras I want. Actually I am still missing one of the extras that is only on the Blu-Ray edition but I have nothing to play it on. Why could they not have have one edition that actually had ALL the extras on it. I would honestly not care if they charged you $50 for one that actually had everything on it.

Also since everybody is whining about the dates. I am going to have to my two cents in. I am an American but I was in London during July so I had to wait to see it like everybody else in the UK so I think that I had the worst luck out of everybody. Also I have to agree that a month seems kinda a long time difference between the two DVD releases. I would think it would be a week or two at the most. Also, to all the people from other countries, you have to remember that most of these film companies are American (and most of us American are spoiled little brats that think they deserve everything first, including me sometimes) so that is why we get stuff first a lot of the time.

Avatar Image says:

first, we don’t get good dvd’s for these movies that has alot of goodies from wb, now they release 3 different dvds that spreads the bonus materials between them, so that they think we stupid and rich enough to buy all of them if we want to see all bonus materials. we don’t deserve this treatment from wb. I hate them.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, so does this mean I have to buy an entire HD player so I can watch the HD version? The only thing I care about is the Dumbledor’s Army commentary, and that one is only on the HD version. How much does an HD player cost? Can someone help me out here.

@ Ian:

The cheapest standalone HD DVD player out there I know of is the Toshiba HD-A2 one that sells for around $250-$300. Now if you have an XBox 360, their add-on HD DVD player is only around $180. Still, it is stupid expensive to get a few more extras they could have included in the normal DVD version.

Avatar Image says:

Discounting exchange rates those prices look normal to your average Aussie. First release DVDs are always $30-35. I’d liek to know the Oz release date too and I wish I knew what HD/Blu ray blah blah blah is…oh well…

Avatar Image says:

Wait. So in order to get all the extras, I have to buy 3 separate DVDs of the same movie? Couldn’t they just have settled for a “normal” release and an additional extended version, like they did with “Lord of the Rings” that would include all the juicy extras? I’d go for that, but I’m definitely not going to buy the same movie 3 times!

Avatar Image says:

Could this be an attempt by WB to increase their UK sales? After all, these people wont be just selling it in their stores, but on the net too…

For you guys complaining about the Americans complaining, you should take a step back and think about it. This is not like a big movie premier where you want to not only get the fans all worked up over the release, but you also need to get the Stars to the theater and such too, it would be impossible for them to be everywhere at once, hence you have to stagger the dates from country to country. This is the DVD release and the only question should be how many of these DVDs can we sell in the first week and month. Every country {ya even the Aussies >:P} who get an un-dubbed version should be taking issue with this, it is not like they are being burned by a mom and pops shop somewhere in Scotland, there will be huge factories pumping these things out in every country that they are sold in. There simply is no reason for the later sale dates for English speaking countries except from a money stand point.

John B.

P.S. God that was a lot longer of a post than I thought it would be lol

P.S.S and I just thought of this, WB might be cutting their sales down a bit by doing this, that is an entire month where people will be able to post it on the net for others to steal. They really could be shooting themselves in the foot by doing this.

Avatar Image says:

A month? We have to wait a freaking month??? Oh my god. Does the PAL system (or whatever the UK use) mean that the UK ones won’t work on American DVD players?

This is what we get for changing our release of the movie in theatres! They’re doing it to spite us!

And the three DVD thing is pissing me off, too! I bought the wrong DVD when I was buying Goblet of Fire, so I’ve still never seen any of the special features. And why is the Dumbledore’s Army thing only on HD?

In short: I hate this.

Avatar Image says:

Great post, JohnB! The America-bashing gets old, and it really doesn’t make sense to have such a difference in the release date, for the reasons you mentioned. I would not be surprised to see this change, just as the movie release changed, but you never know. Ah well, if we’re desperate, I suppose we can always order a copy off Amazon UK, and of course OotP will be on at the second-run theaters for a while too, for when we need our fix! (I think it’s just getting there in my local theater.) And the 7 more minutes of deleted scenes is intriguing—hope it’s better stuff than what’s been mentioned so far!

Avatar Image says:

I must agree that the UK deserves to get it first. For all the reasons mentioned. But by a month That is absurd! And Greg is absolutely right. If they want to make money off of Christmas sales it had better be out by Thanksgiving weekend. Not only are they killing their sales by waiting so long, but Christmas isn’t an argument. A month-long delay to capitalize on Christmas would only make sense if Christmas came a month later in the US. And their stupid manipulative maneuvers (or manoeuvres, if you prefer) to make you have to purchase 3 different copies and a $300 piece of hardware just to enjoy the extras which don’t even include a commentary simply disgust me. What, they don’t make enough money off the film already that they have to resort to extortion to get more money from the fans? If I thought anyone would actually be able to restrain themselves, I’d encourage a boycott. Let them know with our Dollars, Pounds, Euros, and everything else that this kind of crap is simply unacceptable. Unfortunately, I’m not sure I could wait, either.

YAY CANT WAIT!!!! theres my chrsitmas list lol

Avatar Image says:

Yay, we get something first for once XD

It is very expensive! I guess they can get away with it though because they know people will pay for it sigh I think I’m going to get mine from Play.com, £9.99! Depends what offers the shops come up with.

Avatar Image says:

I really don’t understand why there is such a long stretch of time between the DVDs. It’s not about who gets it first, if one country got it a few days before the other, fine. But a month? It really doesn’t make sense. The US and the UK are the two biggest markets for this movie so they should be released at relatively the same time. I’m wondering if this was a mistake and they sent out a press release too early.

WB is gonna be sorry, because the bootleggers are gonna be going crazy and the joe schmo that would have bought it will just get the bootleg version of it. The intelligence over at WB just astounds me sometimes.

Avatar Image says:

In Argentina we’ll have the DVD on October 31st, we’ll be the first country to have it.

Avatar Image says:

The gift set is going to be my gift to myself for surviving this year! YAY ME!

Avatar Image says:

I’m not impressed that the W.B. are spreading their special features over every edition of the film. That’s very disrespectful to the fans. So if we want to see all the special features we have to buy the regular version, the HD version, the Blue Ray version, and the 5-disc set and, oh yeah, we’ll have to buy HD-DVD players and Blue Ray players to watch them. Lame! It almost makes me not want to buy any version and wait to tape it off HBO in protest, and in the meantime I’ll watch the special features on YouTube. I have never felt this way before, but they are clearly trying to get the fans to buy all versions and that’s terrible.

I’m also confused about the different release dates in the U.S. and U.K. I don’t really care, it just seems odd. And December 11 is a little late for the Christmas season as people usually have most of their shopping done by then, so I don’t understand the delay unless it has something to do with the high-def versions and wanting to release them all at the same time. I don’t know.

$$$$$$ Ka-Ching!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t mind the UK getting it first, I’m Canadian so we are lumped into the American release date. I do have an issue on waiting a whole month. I wouldn’t be surprised if WB changes their minds on the release by a couple of weeks to be honest-look at the movie coming out in theatres-they said it was going to be July 20th here then changed to the 13th then at the last damned minute they decided on a “soft” opening on July 11th! Cross your fingers that they take a look at the dates of release again and we may be lucky :)

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! This says that there will be commentaries!!!http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner/Disc_Announcements/New_Details_Emerge_for_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_editions_of_Harry_Potter_Years_1-5_Gift_Set/975

Avatar Image says:

A MONTH later!!!!!!!! What do that have to do, translate it from English to….? Oh wait it’s still English, no translation required. I’ll still have Christmas money by then but only because I will have saved it aside especially for that. I guess I’ll have to miss out on the DA stuff because I am not buying HD or Blu-ray until someone makes up their mind and settles on one type because you know they will someday and then the other will be useless like 8-track tapes.

Avatar Image says:

T_D_O: Exactly – it’s extremely disrespectful to the fans. Right now, I’m seriously considering a boycott – don’t buy ANY of the DVDs and wait for the extras/movies to pop up on YouTube or on other sites as downloads. If they had gone the LOTR way, with one regular edition (no extras, for folks who are interested in the movie only) and a more expensive extended/special edition containing ALL the extras for people who want to have the BTS stuff, I would have been ok with that – it would have been a fair choice. This is just trying to milk the cash machine for what it’s worth. Not fair. :(

Avatar Image says:

Look, the WB is out to make money. With the widespread use of illegal movie downloads on the internet, they have to find ways for people to buy their DVDs. As frustrating as it is that we can’t watch every feature, it makes sense financially to WB.

Avatar Image says:

Well great! You Brits can all buy it, and tell me if it includes the cut bits from Snape’s worst memory. If it does, I’ll get a copy. If not, WB can suck it.

Avatar Image says:

The movies were released in theatres on the same date!

The DVD’s should be as well!!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t mind waiting till December. I’m just happy to hear that the DVD will be coming out soon. My concern of late has had to do with the DVDs for films one through four being pulled from stores. (Just try finding Goblet of Fire in your local stores. It is impossible here.) The feedback I have been getting from local distributors is that Warner Brothers may start pulling a Disney maneuver on fans, periodically pulling the DVDs from stock and placing them “in the vault.” Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed anywhere? (I’m new to the HP websites and not sure where to look for this info.) If that is indeed what they are doing, I just think it’s so wrong!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with John Noe from the last PotterCast. Issue a “director’s cut” with deleted scenes in HD and I will buy the set. Twenty minutes more plot/film added to OOTP would have taken a good/great movie to TIMELESS. Ever since the deleted Malfoy scene in CoS (at BnB’s)we have seen where just a little more could add so much. I don’t need games and links on the disc. I NEED MORE MOVIE.

Avatar Image says:

That’s just ridiculous…and the price is absurd :/ Meg is not very happy right now :(

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if this is just a big mixup with the dates…11/12 or 12/11? I was fine with the December date because it’s my birthday so it was perfect. It is not too late at all. It’ll be part of the big final wave for the season. If it came out too early then people would already have it before the holiday. Who honestly is done Christmas shopping by then? The 11th? No! How ridiculuously organized and aggressive are you? The world is full of procrastinators! People shop up to the last weekend before Christmas or even the last day!

As for spreading the special features, that really irritates me. There should only be one special edition with all the features and that should be duplicated with all the formats. I HATE it when dvds are released with different editions. I’m going to rely on YouTube.

Avatar Image says:

That is totally lame. Its not fair that they get it a whole month before us

Avatar Image says:

Everyone complaining about the release dates need to get over it. I live in the US and I am a little dissapoint at the difference but it’s not that big of a deal… at least it’s not longer. PS Stop with the whole “OMG it’s a month later” crap because everyone who does that is being kindof annoying and also if I’m not mistaken we got it in theaters 1st… not sure though but even still just deal w/ it and stop the whining! :<

Avatar Image says:

Warner Brothers might well be an American company, but they used British actors, producer, two directors (the best two)crews, British locations, sound stages, Oh yes and what was the other British thing…yes that it a British author of the story. The films have MADE IN THE UK stamped through them and could only have been made there. So footing the bill doesn’t make it American it makes you the owner of the film nothing more, you can’t change someone or somethings nationaility just because you hire them to make you something.

We all know that if it wasn’t made in the UK under these terms then there wouldn’t be a film in the first place.

Avatar Image says:

Just some background on HD. I personally can’t wait since I own a HD DVD Player myself. They’re really amazing and at $250, very affordable too.

The Blu Ray and HD will essentially have the same features as the 2 disc DVD version, except Blu Ray can’t support the picture in picture “In Movie Experience” so that will be in the form of Featurettes on the Blu Ray. It’s a video commentary on the HD DVD and standard dvd obviously can’t support that. The Gift set will also have features exclusively to HD.

In fact, Goblet of Fire is already on HD DVD in the UK and features A video commentary as well. Which has extra behind the scenes bits and input/comments from the Phelps twins.

Avatar Image says:

Technically Harry Potter films are British. If you look at the Baftas, their award for Best British Film requires that a film be at least 70% British in order to qualify for the award, and the Potter films HAVE appeared in this category TWICE, so they must be deemed British by those in the know….

Avatar Image says:

Warner sucks for doing this. Splitting all the extras up on all the releases for this movie is totally absurd when it allready has made ALOT of money over 900 million to excact and then they do this to earn more money. I AM MAD AS HELL OVER THIS!

WE NEED TO WRITE TO WARNER AND TELL THEM THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Avatar Image says:

I’m soo excited. But yeahh, my intial reaction was: “Was it this expensive before?! O.o”

But ahhh well, it’s Harry Potter and I’m sooo excited!!

I also felt that the British should get the DVD first, since they almost never do. On that note, does anyone have any idea when they’re releasing the DVDs in Canada?! They never mention that one…

Avatar Image says:

I am so excited I do not have to wait but three months it is so nice to have a date for it’s arrival thank you

Avatar Image says:

I am counting the days…I know that no matter how little money I have left after Christmas shopping, I will be standing in the checkout line with DVD in hand the day it is released! I am NOT good at waiting! can anyone tell me how many versions there are of sorcerers stone…I saw some scenes on tv that I hadn’t ever seen before…I have the two disc set, and was surprised that it wasn’t on there…. I wish they wouldn’t do that with any of the movies. I wonder if they’ll make a huge box set when Deathly Hallows is released on DVD with tons of extras and commentary like the collectors Lord of the Rings. I guess I’ll start saving now, since the prices keep going UP!

Avatar Image says:

While I’m very annoyed by the release date here in the states, I am VERY agitated by the lack of extras. As I said the other day, why not have a commentaries with the art team, David Yates and Goldenberg, and Dan Emma and Rupert? Why not show how and why changes were made to the screenplay when it was first devolping and how it finally became the finished product. How about building the Ministry of Magic, location shooting, pre-production, costumes, concept art, post-production, sound mixing, music, ADR (automatic dialouge replacement), special effects, stories about filming, embaressing moments, and so much more. You spent two years making this movie and you can only provide a few minutes of “making of”. And really, must the DVD really have a special feature that isn’t even about OotP, but the first four movies (and it was on TV). Not to mention the cover art is by far the worst. But, oh well, at least the actual movie was probably my favorite behind GoF. Plus, it will be good to have another Harry Potter movie on my shelf.

Avatar Image says:

so – it’s NOT more expensive. That’s just the list price of the DVD. Have you ever gone to Barnes & Nobles or Borders and looked at the DVDs? A good number of them have the list price of $30. When you buy them at Best Buy or related electronics stores they mark the price down to bring in customers. Think of the list price of the seventh book. Thirty-something dollars. Then think how much you paid for it. This DVD will not be more expensive than the others.

As for the later release date – come on, we here are just jealous. The only thing I think this will promote, however, is anger from the fans and a LOT of pirated movies. Once the DVD is in somebody’s hands it is pretty easy to make an image file that works in any DVD region and then post it on the Web for torrent grabbers.

YAY DVD! THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME!!

(P.S. They should release the 3-D version!)

Avatar Image says:

im soooo glad I’ve got this straight now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! um soooo exicited!!!!!!!!!! well if any one is willing to pay enough money they could maybe order it from Britan and maybe get it early…but maybe u cant I dont know!!??? Well im still excited!!! _

Avatar Image says:

I’m rolling my eyes here at everyone complaining about the time difference between movie and dvd releases. Surely they got the important thing right – the books were always released at the same time.

Write a Reply or Comment