113

Sep 24, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

In a new interview recorded around the time of the release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Voices from Krypton has a new audio interview with director David Yates who talks details and more about the upcoming sixth Harry Potter film. Noting that screenwriter Steven Kloves has turned in a “terrific and fun” draft that will lend to a very “character-driven” film, David Yates discusses things like character relationships as well as the final “wonderful” sequence at the end of the film. In particular, Mr. Yates specifically mentions the “epic” cave scene and the army of the dead sequence that will take place in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, as well as the relationship between mentor Albus Dumbledore and student Harry Potter.

In this riveting interview (runs approx 6:48) HBP director David Yates says the film will swing between drama and moments of horror to those of delicate character relationship moments. He also mentions the humor in the film, and the “unrequited feelings” between Harry and Ginny that will be incorporated, as well as the deeping and developing relationship between Ron and Hermione which he describes as “delightful and funny and tender and true.” To listen to this audio interview, click here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is currently in production and will be released in theaters November 21, 2008.

Thanks Professor!

60 Responses to David Yates Talks Army of the Dead for “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” Film

Woohoo first post!

I don’t understand… ‘unrequited’? Don’t they (H/G) get it onnn?

Avatar Image says:

Just finished listening to the audio track… YAYY I’M SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!!!

Avatar Image says:

This is encouraging news. What I liked best about OOTP was the emotional engagement of it – it got it right, especially between Harry and Sirius. Since David Yates oversaw that, I have higher hopes that he can make that happen in HBP.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope that they don’t make a huge deal out of the lake inferi. It’s a very small part in the epic climax—they see them in the lake, they see a hand jump out, and then they attack for a moment until Dumbledore starts a ring of fire. That’s it.

What I really don’t want to see is this fierce 5-minute long struggle of Harry trying to beat them off, and then Dumbledore and Harry fleeing for their life pursued by this dramatic fleet of dead bodies.

What’s more important to that scene is Dumbledore—his pain while drinking the potion, his last triumph over it, still remaining strong enough to protect Harry…etc. It’s about the potion and the locket, not the inferi.

Avatar Image says:

I am impressed! This is the first real “news”. I think they chose the right director. He’s got it all! (And NO, they don’t “get it onnn) Be serious…! This is going to be a great film! YYYAAAAAYYYY David!

Avatar Image says:

The man certainly loves to talk.

But, hey, fantastic interview. I can’t wait to start hearing or seeing more production pieces!

Avatar Image says:

burningpumpkins, Harry does spend a lot of the novel pining for Ginny, even though ultimately they do get together. I think the “monster in the chest” stuff is what Yates plans on developing.

I’m really looking forward to this one!

Avatar Image says:

Very exciting interview, sounds like the film is on track to be another great Potter film.

Avatar Image says:

Mrs McClaggan: I know I know… I just think that they’re going to overdo it. Everyone knows the relationship that is MOST developed is that of Ron/Hermione. I just hope they don’t make Harry/Ginny SOO SOSSOOSOSOS much more of a thing, and make R/Hr simply humor and fluff. However, that H/G kiss better be DAYMNN good.

Avatar Image says:

Amen, Nikki! I too hope they don’t make the encounter with inferi some epic scene a la dragon chase scene in GoF. You are absolutely right that they need to focus on what happens to Dumbledore as he drinks the potion and how hard it is for Harry to watch it. And after the emotionalism in OotP, I have confidence they’ll get it right. Not that OotP was perfect (it was just too short and needed to be fleshed out), but the overall feeling was great. Hope it continues in HBP!

Avatar Image says:

this sounds promising… dare I get super excited? I cant wait for the cave scene! it makes me cry everytime I read it. its one of my absolute favorite scenes! i hope it will be as good as yates is making it all sound!!

Avatar Image says:

Reading this gave me chilly bumps. It’s so weird to already be thinking about HBP for next year, you know?

Avatar Image says:

They need to sort Dumbledore out! Why is he so incessantly aggressive?? He storms into scenes ranting and raving like an angry drunk… When does he ever shout or bark at people in the books?

Avatar Image says:

Can someone direct me to where I’m supposed to be clicking to listen to the interview? I can get to the site, but I can’t find anything to listen to the interview. Thanks!

Avatar Image says:

I kind of hate Yates because of the way he de-emphasized the “Snape’s worst memory” sequence in OOTP. Listening to this interview I didn’t hear the name “Snape” utter one time. Come on! He’s the title character of this book! I’m sure that Yates will give his story short shrift again, and I will be as dissappointed in this movie as I was in OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

Sounds good, but I hope they don’t focus too much on funny parts of the film. They’d better make it really scary too (I would have no objection to a 15 rated film…. lol)

Indeed it sounds great !

Hope he’ll do a great finale ! The scene in the cave could be really fantastic but I hope they’ll really insist on Dumbledore last suffering.

The battle in Hogwarts musn’t be too epic in this movie. They have to keep the epic dimension for the battle at the end of the last film.

Avatar Image says:

You will be disappointed? Awww, that’s a shame. You do not have my pity, already hating a movie before it comes out.

First of all, the Snape storyline in HBP was utterly minute: That added to the shock of the fact that it was him. Until Harry is chasing him down like a dog on the grounds of Hogwarts, you do not know that he is in fact the Prince.

Yates will do exactly what JK did and develop the Prince as possibly one of the marauders, only to make it known that it’s Snape.

Also do not judge this movie from OOTP entirely, as the script is from Kloves and Yates has changed gears entirely on the focus. He isn’t Columbus you know, who kept the exact same vision going into COS.

Snapes-Angel-23:

In case no one has answere your question: Go to the first part of the interview, scroll down to where it says “continue” That will take you to the “long version” Scroll down THERE, until you get to the “Click Here” (in red) That will take you to it. Click on and listen..well worth it. cheers! Gail

Avatar Image says:

Agreed Doobah. Unfortunately, some people have a tendency to judge too quickly and they end up ruining the movie for themselves b/c they expect a crappy one. Eh, but what can you do? I’m very excited for this movie. I thoroughly enjoyed OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

SQUEE! the only thing i don’t understand is why he’d call harry and ginny’s love unrequited… uh, i think that’s hardly appropriate in this case? xD anyway, off to listen, perhaps it will make more sense in context.

Avatar Image says:

SQUEEEEE! only thing i don’t understand is why he’d say harry and ginny’s relationship is “unrequited”... they better not be cutting all the h/g action or they’ll have some crazy ass shippers running after them with pitchforks… including me, teehee xD anyway off to listen!

Avatar Image says:

Unrequited? Hardly. They better show that kiss!

Avatar Image says:

I figure they’ll stretch the inferi scene a bit. It’s the only real action in the whole movie and the creepiest part. They shouldn’t overly stretch it though.

I love going into films with low expectations. That way, if the movie bombs, I was mentally prepared and if it doesn’t I come out surprised. Not so when you have high expectations. If the movie doesn’t deliver you end up hating it.

Avatar Image says:

Anita, I agree with you. I enjoyed OOTP and am looking forward to this movie. My first HP movie I saw was GOF and I went because I had to take my niece to get her out of her mother’s hair. I did not want to go at all but I fell in love that day and have been reading the books and watching the movies over and over since. OOTP was my first experience with all this fandom and I was excited for it because everyone was going on about how great a new writer was going to be and everyone was happy about Yates. Then when the movie came out so many people seemed to just bash the movie, Yates, and the writer. I was a bit shocked at the turn from the fans. Id this the way it is with every release? I saw OOTP on the midnight release and I also saw the things that were cut out and was a bit sad at some of them but I understood that WB gave them a time limit and in any job we have to follow the boss’s rules even if we don’t like it. In the end WB is the boss and Yates has to comply with there wishes. When I saw the movie again I really saw it for the movie and not the book. SS and COS were very much like the book yet fans complain about that too. I think we as fans have put the movie makers between a rock and a hard place. We seem to complain when it follows the book and we complain when it strays from the book. We need to accept the movies for an adaptation of the books they are not the books. Yates seems to really love making these movies and I think he showed it in OOTP and will bring the story forward in HBP. I am looking forward to seeing his adaptation of this book and will judge it as just that.

Avatar Image says:

El caz- I’m with you there. I always try to go into movies made from novels (or whatever) with very low expectations. This one, I hope, will not bomb. But… we’ll see. I don hope he keeps a little Remus/Tonks stuff though…

Avatar Image says:

Wrong Anita! I expected to LOVE OOTP. There were parts of it that I did love. But I was ultimately disappointed because the brains behind the film (and I have to assume that is the director) chose to leave a crucial plot point on the cutting room floor. I really hope that doesn’t happen in HBP or (Heavens forfend!) DH, There is no assurance that it won’t however, especially if some of the same hands are involved in the editing decisions.

If Snape’s story line is diminished in the next two films it will totally ruin the film for me. How do you translate onto film that Harry is thinking the HBP might be his father, or that the HBP is like a friend or a mentor? Snape is all of those thing to Harry, although Harry doesn’t know it. Snape saves Harry, or attempts to save Harry again and again and again.

Snape is the hero of the entire series in my reading. I’ve seen clues that the people running the film franchise do not agree. So I’m eagerly looking forward to the next two films, while hoping against hope that the producers, editors, directors and script writers don’t bollocks it up.

What about Draco Malfoy?

Avatar Image says:

Well, finally! :D Can’t wait.

Avatar Image says:

How about going in with NO expectations rather than negative ones, if you cannot be positve? We’re a spoiled bunch as it is when it comes to adaption of movies (and before anyone throws LOTR at me, those books had been completed 50 years before and people had time to know what had to be cut and what couldnt be.

People are still whining about SWM being cut? Some of you REALLY need to educate yourselves on film making, because once you do you will see just how obnoxious and bratty it sounds. The fact of the matter is, movies cannot show something in one movie that only pays off in another movie. That is something books and books alone have the capacity to do. Movies operate on Chekhov’s Rule, which I will not bother typing out. If you are open minded enough to see my point, then you can look it up here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov’s_Gun. SWM will be reintroduced IN FULL when they film DH, and only then. Why? Because it is only in THAT BOOK where the memory is at all important.

People, HBP and OOTP are incomparable. OOTP had a different scriptwriter, a different focus, and not much to work with compared tohow HBP will be. If Yates had said it would focus on rebellion and politics like in OOTP, then I would be worried, but he steers far away from that. Don’t bother with expectations. Negative expectations are just as bad as overhype. Either expect the unexpected or have no expectations.

Avatar Image says:

Um, guys, they aren’t gonna change the name of the movie. They will still have to have the HBP, and all that Snape business. But that doesn’t really attract the people who haven’t read the books. Romance and action do. lol Sadly. And PLUS, it is kind of supposed to be a surprise that Snape is the HBP soo…

And he’s talked about the “unrequited” thing before. I remember him kind of explaining it. He means like ya know, at FIRST Harry believes it’s unrequited and he’s just kind of following Ginny around and such- until she breaks up with Dean. It takes forever for them to actually get together. And also, taking into account how the films seem to be going on the track of “Ginny is always shy around Harry” until she gets a boyfriend in HBP, after realizing Harry just is not taking the right kind of notice to her in OotP. That’s when Harry finally likes her. lol I don’t mean to just prattle on, just trying to clear it up for myself and others by typing! :)

Avatar Image says:

Some people just focus on what was cut, and not what’s included. If they did lengthen Snape’s worst memory, what the hell would it have done with the movie? That memory was important not until the 7th book, and no one knew that except for Rowling herself. As a subplot in the 5th movie, that was not important. They can always show the memory again in the 7th movie anyway.

I really like Yates because he respects the fans. He’s not like some other directors who were just in it for the money and the bragging rights of having to direct a HP movie. :-)

Avatar Image says:

Lets hope they get the cave scene right. If they get rid of the line “I’m not worried Harry I am with you” I will be so damn pissed!

Avatar Image says:

Don’t worry Michelle you are not alone!!! (Re you post on September 24, 2007 @ 01:53 PM)

Loads and loads and loads of people absolutely love the films – its just they don’t post much on HP sites. HP sites are mainly the hunting ground the the ‘HP book fundamentalists’ Don’t let them spoil your enjoyment.

Cheers

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, but I’m also having trouble finding the actual link for the interview. The only link I see is one at the end of the post that says “Download the latest Flash Player™ here,” and goes to a macromedia.com site. Help?

Avatar Image says:

Kay: I hope they don’t write Snape as the hero of the series and a father figure for Harry, because then it certainly won’t be accurate to the books where Harry is the hero and Snape is a relunctant helper who still treats Harry and all his friends extremely poorly throughout all the books. I do like Snape, but the filmmaker’s vision shows no sign of not matching up with JKR’s personal one- very brave, but still cruel and definitely an anti-hero. Personally I find Snape a bit more likeable in the movies, just because Rickman’s portrayal comes across funnier.

Doobah: Iawtc. Snape is barely in HBP, despite being important at the end. We only see one DADA class with him, even.

UNREQUITED????!!!!!

What the hell does he mean by unrequited? If they even think about cutting a single moment of H/G relationship (kiss and all), I will be writing WB and Mr. Heyman 50 times a day asking for the money I’ve spent on all the books and movies and DVDs back, with compensation!

They better not even dare ruining Harry and Ginny, or there’ll be some major a** whipping.

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher was included in the OOTP film only because, apparently, Jo let them know it was something they would be needing later on. So, yes, sometimes things are included that have their major payoff in future films.

In any case, in every film there is some extra screen time spent on “spectacular” visuals which could have been saved to expand other scenes, if desired. If they needed an extra 15 seconds or so to show Lily in the SWM scene, they could have scraped it up somewhere. So it wasn’t a time factor in that case, at least; it was a deliberate decision to omit her.

Avatar Image says:

Fragestellar: Not to mention, Yates is the one who said the movies needed to be shorter not WB. As far as I’ve seen it isn’t WB pressure that we can blame OotP’s length on, it’s Yates. I do like the guy but he wants shorter HP movies and I don’t agree with that.

As for Harry/Ginny- it will be kept intact! I found his comment a bit odd but Dan has already verified that he will be kissing Bonnie in this movie and that interview was very recently. Remember that Harry thinks it is unrequited for a huge portion of the book.

“UNREQUITED????!!!!!

What the hell does he mean by unrequited?”

But it IS unrequited … or at least, it seems so. Remember that for most of the book, Harry, and the reader, think that Ginny isn’t interested in him any more. She’s with Dean, and she seems happy with Dean. Harry spends most of the book jealous about Dean, and we only find out that Ginny still likes Harry through the “blazing look” she gives him moments before the kiss. So Yates is quite right to take this route.

And of course, the kiss and the actual relationship will be in the movie – they won’t introduce Harry having feelings for someone without it going anywhere. Yates has said he put the Ginny-jealous-of-Cho moments into OotP to set up things in HBP, so he seems to be taking the route JKR took – Ginny fancied Harry, realised he liked Cho, apparently decided to get on with her life and got together with Dean; Harry now falls for Ginny, but thinks it’s unrequited and gets jealous, but in the end, it turns out she does still like him. I don’t see what the problem is.

Avatar Image says:

The problem is that Ginny never really did move on, and has always loved Harry. That cannot show her NOT loving him, or ignoring him, or not being considerate of his feelings. They can show a disconnection, miscommunication, and all that. But unrequited love is a whole other thing. That’s another emotion all together.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Steven. That’s how I think they’re planning to do the H/G. I’m excited!

Avatar Image says:

If you guys pay close attention to OOTP you will find that it is quite obvious that the H/G thing will indeed happen and anyways a major plot line like that cannot be ignored considering where they will be in 19 years after book 7.

Since they left out quidditch altogether in Ootp, the sudden reappearance will be making non-readers think about where was it all in movie 5, but oh well.

About the movie, it is obvious that they cant give the same experience as the book as always, but they are making them to sell not to please fans.

BUT, they now have Evana on the team and I really hope she passes on some hardcore fandom to the makers. I mean a real fan of the series can really tell what the favorite parts of a book is.

Avatar Image says:

Altogheter i would feel better if someone from the productions would tell me face to face why some things arent in and why some useless stuff are in the movies, but i guess thats how we all feel.

Avatar Image says:

Not that its necessary, but I hope the Quidditch match has Luna commentary! I’ll be interested to see how much screentime she gets…I’m assuming it will be very little…

I thought that Gambon was an okay Dumbledore, and better than Harris, but his portrayal in GOF and OOTP was terrible!!! Why does he keeping shouting and stamping around??

I reckon Jim Broadbent should double up as Slughorn and Dumbledore! He has a very dotty look about him…like your Dads just been at the gin… :)

Avatar Image says:

Why would the filmmakers agree? As you said, it’s your reading. And I’d wager that the vast majority of HP readers wouldn’t agree with your interpretation either.

Avatar Image says:

This sounds fantastic and all, but I really am dying to know who is going to play Scrimgeour, and if David Yates even plans on keeping him in the film!!! I hope he does, Scrimgeour plays a big part in the sixth and seventh books.

I say Billy Nighy for Scrimgeour all the way!

Avatar Image says:

Will this movie have better pacing than OOTP? I hope so.

Avatar Image says:

I have no faith in mr. yates. Ootp was boring, the durleys were unrecognizable, he can’t do comedy scene-the whole tea spoon scene was not funny at all, and I don’t think he understands what hbp is about. Yes, there is romance in the book, but that is not even the first two main plots of the book, and I’m getting tired hearing about some c plot all the time. I just gave up that there is going to be good hp movie except poa from wb.

Avatar Image says:

I think for the purpose of HPB the Harry’s love for Ginny is unrequited because despite them getting together, he breaks it off shortly after because his future is so uncertain. I think that was what David Yates meant.

Avatar Image says:

Harry and Ginny aren’t together all that long in HBP. It’s a very unrequited love, that’s not really fulfilled until the Epilogue of DH.

I would love to see the inferi done justice. I would be disappointed if I wasn’t scared and grossed out, just like I was when reading the book.

So, my biggest worry is Draco. This is Tom Felton’s turn at the gate, he has some real powerful scenes coming up, and if those are cut…just bleh. Draco represents a lot of things about youth that we don’t see with the other characters, lots of thematic stuff that we all know about. I hope they keep as much as possible!

Avatar Image says:

A movie is a movie and a book is a book. Harry’s feelings are unrequited when Ginny kisses anotehr bloke! Harry’s feelings are unrequited when he fears making a move becasue of Ron. Harry’s feelings are unrequited when he sacrifices his relationship. I once kissed a man with whom I was then not actually involved – he dumped me for his own reasons. I was totally unrequited despite our few weeks of fun!

To be perfectly frank the SWM scene in OotP was sufficient. the dialogue that preceeded it was that Snape jsut told Harry he was “just like his father”, Harry of course dneies this and he then finds out that maybe Snape is right, how Snape feels about his father and more importantly WHY. The storyline with Lily is a DH storyline. yes JKR set it up over her series and it has relevance to HP readers but as a PP said the movies aren’t going to address it in the same way. HBP may be Snape but he is NOT the central theme of Book 6! He’s not even the central theme of the series!

They are movies, not books. Everyone raves about the cave scene – it leaves me cold. So what the director does with it is going to suit one person and not another but I can garuntee that if it comes out perfectly for the cave fans it will still leave me cold. If it is changed slightly I may like it but the book cave scene lovers will likley decry it.

As a movie OotP was a good movie. HP book lovers are harsh with the movies – truly they are.

Avatar Image says:

Ian: I disagree. Someone can be considerate of someone’s feelings and pay attention to them but not be in love with them. Hermione does that for Harry and she certainly doesn’t love him romantically. Harry thinks his feelings for Ginny are unrequited since he’s been told she’s over him and that she doesn’t bat an eye over making out with other boys. That doesn’t mean he thinks she doesn’t like him as a close friend, but he certainly feels as if his romantic feelings for her are unrequited. And what Harry thinks is what’s important, even if it turns out to be incorrect.

Luna: Interestingly enough, I think PoA is by fathoms the worst of the films. Just because he is talking about the romance plot doesn’t mean it’s going to be the focus of the film. He’s probably discussing it because it’s fun for him and he’s looking forward to filming it. Plus, look how they hyped up the Harry/Cho kiss in Ootp and it hardly was a huge focus in the film. The inferi are by no means a main plot of the book but he keeps bringing them up as well. It’s just aspects he’s looking forward to. Shrug.

Avatar Image says:

harry’s relationship is “unrequited”.this is joke?I want more snape scenes,I dont care ron and hermione relationship.I hate ron and hermione’jealous this book(hbp)because they dont listen harry(for exmple draco )

Avatar Image says:

After a night of thinking over, I’ve decided I’ve become a very bad fan.

Choosing shipping over the story of Harry Potter? Heckles no. What the hell is wrong with Yates? He says romance is the main push of the movie. LIGHTS TORCH and cracks knuckles threateningly Stick to the pensieve you stinking, book-changing prat!

Since when was HBP a sweet and humorous story line? For the thick of it, it’s going into Dumbledore’s pensieve, seeing Voldemort’s dark past, Merope’s abuse, murder, and honestly, the whole relationship was really SMALL.

We cannot encourage this! I know we all love shippy stuff, but we have to be true to the books! I hate you Yates… you know exactly what will make money.

Get In! Can’t wait for HBP

Avatar Image says:

I can’t see the interview :(. I get to the website, but the only link I find under the David Yates story is “More Harry Potter Inside” and then it takes me to the 43 second interview with Dan. Help!

Avatar Image says:

Not sure who you were referring to Kezzabear, but I think my original post basically said the same thing in relation to what you said about Harry and Ginny’s relationship in HPB.

I do agree with you about Snape. All due respect to the Snape fans out there even JKR herself says this in her Datline NBC interview done just after the DH release. It might still be on here somewhere. She says his final actions in the book don’t change how vile he was to Harry through out the series making him pay for his father’s sins. She also makes it quite clear that had it not been for Lily he would have not had any interest in helping Harry in the end. Not my opinion, her words. He is a brave, smart, intellgent, complex, and deeeeep deep down a sensative character, but he is no hero.

Quote-Goodness there are people here who need to a) understand the full meaning and extent of unrequited, b) that not all of fandom share the favourite parts and c) realise that SNAPE is NOT the hero!

A movie is a movie and a book is a book. Harry’s feelings are unrequited when Ginny kisses anotehr bloke! Harry’s feelings are unrequited when he fears making a move becasue of Ron. Harry’s feelings are unrequited when he sacrifices his relationship. Quote

Avatar Image says:

Referring to anyone who was rabbiting on about it not being unrequited and how Snape was the focus and a hero. All rubbish. If you ahte the movies so much, don’t watch them. I guess I get sick of all the bagging that goes on whenever they hand us a tidbit. It gets old.

Avatar Image says:

‘Character-driven’, how can it be character-driven when he’s reduced the characters to 2D stereotypes. We’ll probably never get Ron’s integrity (and Rupert is trying very hard to) and Hermione will always grate now (when she didn’t in the books). Oh well. Kloves had better not cock this one up.

Write a Reply or Comment