Harry Potter Actors Take on Painters and the Mob (Updated)

323

Sep 26, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We have an update for you today on two actors, Jason Isaacs and Robert Pattinson, regarding projects they are involved in outside the Harry Potter films.

First, actor Robert Pattinson (Hufflepuff great Cedric Diggory) has been cast as legendary Surrealist painter Salvador Dali (see his paintings via VirtualDali.com) in the upcoming “Little Ashes” film. British Film Magazine reports that Robert “plays Dali opposite Javier Beltran as Lorca, and Matthew McNulty, who features in the forthcoming Joy Division biopic “Control”, as Dali’s filmmaking collaborator Luis Bunel.”

The second season of Brotherhood starring the wonderful Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) begins this Sunday, September 30 at 10:00pm (EST) on cable channel Showtime. Noting in a recent interview “I’m welcomed with open arms by all of the criminals in Rhode Island!,” Jason describes the return of his hit television series which was filmed recently here in the US.

“We arrived back for the second season, and people just went crazy. It was like Norm walking into Cheers,” says Isaacs, whose character begins the season recovering from traumatic head injuries received in a severe beating that ended the first season. “If we were as well-received in the rest of the world beyond Providence, we’d be very, very happy.”

The official Brotherhood website now has a promo clip online of the upcoming season. CAUTION: The program is clearly rated MA, and please note this video does contain scenes of graphic violence, sex, strong language, and drug use; this is not suitable for young children. Keeping this in mind, to watch this clip, click here, then on the upper right side “The New Season: Get a Sneak Peek”

UPDATE: Continuing the press for the launch of Brotherhood, Variety now has a profile of Jason, where it asks him about three books that have meaning to the actor. Jason responded “”Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” by J. K. Rowling. Brilliant storytelling that, in many ways, changed my life. Can’t wait till my girls are old enough for me to read it to them. ” Also, the LA Times has another article profiling the upcoming season on “Brotherhood.”

Jason Isaacs is also working on two other films, one is called “La conjura de El Escorial” (The El Escorial Conspiracy) which also stars Julia Ormond reports Variety, as well as “Stopping Power,” with John Cusack .

25 Responses to Harry Potter Actors Take on Painters and the Mob (Updated)

Avatar Image says:

Looks like I got here, first, this time! I’m sure there are others, who want to know, does this mean we won’t have Mr Malfoy, in HBP?

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t Lucious in Azkaban for HBP?

Avatar Image says:

I thought Leaky made a translation typo at first, since Conspiracy = Conspiración, but I don’t think english uses “conjure” in any way to mean someone plotting against someone else, while in spanish you can use “conjurar” for that.

Will Pattinson play Dali when he was young and then they’ll change him for someone older or will he stick with the role via make up all the way till Dali died?

Avatar Image says:

I have serious issues with Pattinson playing Salvador Dali.

Also, Jason Isaacs & John Cusack in the same movie?! Swoon!

Avatar Image says:

It’s fascinating looking at J. Issacs in so violent and bloody a setting. It makes you realize how stylized the “violence” of Harry Potter is compared to the nasty “reality” of a series like this. It’s all in the depiction—it makes all the difference in the world. Potter is always watchable. I personally could never watch a series like this, much as I admire Jason Issacs. It’s just too ugly and horrible. There is much to be said for a least a little stylization of violence in story-telling.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Sue for taking the time to put together such a lovely and informative post :D It’s great to find out what the actors are up to when the big-time HP news is in a lull.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my god, what an image. Cedric Diggory as Salvador Dali?! Hahaha, too awesome.

Avatar Image says:

As much as I admire Jason Isaacs, I could never watch The Brotherhood because of all the ugliness it so graphically depicts. I find no entertainment value in it. Just not my cuppa tea.

Avatar Image says:

what a simply lovely place to live. ( NOT ) I have to agree with james (above) it has a distinct touch of reality about it but I would rather live in Harry’s world. Fantastic acting which does unfortumately reflect reality. I for one wont be rushing to the box office to watch but the acting is of a very hight standard. Thanks for bringing us the news.

Avatar Image says:

Wowww good to hear that we’ll be seeing Robert again :] He’s basically awesomesauce on toast.

Avatar Image says:

I love Rob! He is such a great actor…this film sounds very…interesting (I read about it on another site).

Jason Isaacs is always amazing…so cool that here’s this British gentleman who can pretend to be a Rhode Island mobster. Too cool.

Avatar Image says:

I couldn’t really get into Brotherhood, but I applaud the fact that there is a show about Rhode Island criminals, as they are awesome! And go Jason, as always.

Avatar Image says:

Cedric as Salvador Dali? What?! Very unexpected!!!

Avatar Image says:

As long as, Jason is available for his lovely close-ups in DH movie. Yum!

Avatar Image says:

- Sure Dalí is a very difficult character to play. He was a very extravagant man. A Xenophilius muggle :P

- I agree El Caz. Despite “La conjura de El Escorial” is fine too.

- Wan’t Luis Buñuel? Anyways, not an importat detail.

Funny Spain is present in that news! I really like our artists (despite I don’t like Picasso, maybe our most famour representant).

Avatar Image says:

WHAT? Why would you have a British person play Dalí? That doesn’t seem right…. that would be like having an American play Harry Potter :/

Avatar Image says:

It is interesting the Jason Isaacs is about the right age to play his role in the Harry Potter series. Some actors like Alan Rickman (as wonderful as he is) are really much too old (by 20+ years).

Avatar Image says:

...Jason Isaacs is pretty wonderful. :D well, Lucius is in Azkaban during HBP, so i guess him not being there isnt like a HUGE deal, you know. but he’d better be around for DH!!!!

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Sue must be squeeing up a storm knowing that her favorite guy will be prancing around as a mobster, trading his cane for a gun : )

Avatar Image says:

OOOPS! My bad! Thanks, Katrina, he IS in Azkaban in HBP…. anyway, I LOVED him in ‘The Patriot’ with Mel Gibson. He plays a great “bad guy”! (hee, hee)

Avatar Image says:

Don’t forget, Jason also just finished filming “Good” with Viggo Morteson.

Avatar Image says:

I live in RI and I work down the street from where they shoot most of their scenes and I can tell you that RI is very excited about finally having something famous going on! Finally people know we’re an actual state and not part of Long Island! I am disappointed that I didnt get a glimpse of Jason Isaacs though!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I thought “Brotherhood” was cancelled… I think I mistook “Brotherhood” for another RI/Massachusetts-based crime drama that got cancelled, it was “The Black Donnelys”.

And I thought Robert Pattinson wasn’t interested in acting post-HP. Anyway, nice to see the both of them still getting work. And now we need to know whether Isaccs will be back for DH… it may be too early to tell but his role can easily be written out.

Avatar Image says:

Jason Isaac’s role in HP7 is very small so I’m sure he’d beable to do it because it wouldn’t be a lot of time off filming. And plus guys… They won’t be shooting the new HP7 movie for like 2 years. By then this TV series might be over.

P.S. He does a great eastern accent! Well.. from what I can tell since I have a california accent. I loved him in The Patriot too. He’s perfect for the violent roles haha.

Avatar Image says:

Lucius is in Azkaban. Waiting for the mrs. Malfoy however. And ‘Brotherhood’ is great!

Write a Reply or Comment