Actor David Thewlis to JKR: Put more Lupin in Harry Potter Books

381

Sep 29, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The Sunday Herald has a new profile actor David Thewlis. In this funny and candid interview (note:slight language caution to parents) David discusses his new novel, his various acting roles, and mentions his return as Remus Lupin the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Noting that he has been pleased with all the Harry Potter films to date, David Thewlis recounts his meeting with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling:

“She was really lovely,” he says. “She said she was very happy I was playing the part. Actually, she said Lupin was her favourite character. I said, Well put him in it more then.’”

No word on what David Thewlis thought about the role and adventures of Remus Lupin in the final installment in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As reported previously, production is now underway on the sixth Harry Potter film, with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince due in theaters November 21, 2008.

29 Responses to Actor David Thewlis to JKR: Put more Lupin in Harry Potter Books

Avatar Image says:

Well, she kicked poor Lupin out of this last one!

Avatar Image says:

Well Nicole, at least she waited until the bitter end! :.(

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if “kicked him out” is quite the way I would phrase it, Nicole! She had him “go the way he would have wanted…....fighting”. He had the two things, I believe, he wanted most of all. However briefly. Someone to love him, for himself, and a child to cherish. Bitter/sweet, but kind. <sigh>I am SO glad Mr Thewlis is back for HBP! He’s great!!!!

Thewlis rocks.

Avatar Image says:

Lupin went out with style and class, fighting for the cause, etc.

Besides he married a hottie.

Seriously, Tonk is freaking HOTT

Ha, well we got more Lupin in book 7…and dead!Lupin >_>

Avatar Image says:

Ahh, I love Thewlis. (& Lupin of course! :D) Love the quotes in that article, especially when he mentions Sharon Stone. xD

Avatar Image says:

No! Harry is her darling!

Avatar Image says:

Thewlis’ Lupin has been fabulous in both movies he’s appeared in. He really has the character just right. I didn’t care for Natalia Tena’s Tonks but maybe she’ll grow on me—I hope they do show the romance between them!

Avatar Image says:

i LOVE him as Remus!!! he’s one of my very favorite characters, and seeing Thewlis play him is just amazing.

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

i THOUGHT hARRY WAS HER DARLING AS WELL CHRISSI!!.....NOT TO MENTION HER LOVELY HAGRID…OR MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY…LOVELY…..................................... HAGRID…>>...<<...<>...><...KIDDING….HAGRID IS ALL JO’S…O_o…!!!!....

Avatar Image says:

Wow, he has such funny mannerisms, that David Thewlis. I think I like him so much more, now. What sucks though, is that Lupin is pretty much NOTHING in the films, now. How sad :(

Avatar Image says:

In a way, she kinda listened to him, right? We did see lots of Remus in the last book. Its unfortunate the way she decided to end the character’s road, but at least we saw him one last time. sniff

Avatar Image says:

“I’m quite vicious about Frankenheimer” So who is frankenheimar?

Avatar Image says:

Well, technically speaking, everyone gets kicked out of a role in movie seven. Thewlis just gets out a wee bit earlier than the rest.

Funny how whenever there’s an interview with Thewlis Leaky has to put up a ‘caution to parents’ due to language warning. :)

I’ve liked his performance so far though I think the bit where he goes to Grimmauld’s and talks to Harry will be cut. He could have made a great performance there but it adds nothing to the main plot and they can really afford to cut that bit.

Avatar Image says:

The movie makers will put in his Grimmauld place scene if they kow what is good for them.

Love Lupin!!! Love Thewlis!!!

Avatar Image says:

Who cares about Lupin’s inconsequential scene!!! Just put enough Malfoy into the movies… thats all i ask rly.

Avatar Image says:

A definite case of “be careful what you wish for.” Thewlis is superb as Lupin!

Avatar Image says:

Shouldn’t the title of the article read Harry Potter movies, not books? since the books are finished and Thewlis was talking about the movies

Avatar Image says:

Shouldn’t it say harry potter movies, not books? or am i missing something?

Avatar Image says:

Haha, i love him! And i know this makes me sound horrible but I think it’s quite good that Lupin died in DH. Now he can finally be together with Sirius again <3

Avatar Image says:

hehehe, I liked that interview.

I hope they keep in the Lupin at Grimmauld Place scene.

Slither- I think you should get your wish re Malfoy. It’d be hard to leave him out.

Avatar Image says:

Awww, bless. I love David Thewlis.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t be surprised if he’s hardly in movies 6 & 7. As someone else said, they will almost certainly cut the part where he and Harry argue. His only purpose is to be lying dead at the end and this pushing Harry even more to go to his own death. They’re just going to have to rely on people remembering him from the PoA movie. I too wish he’d had a bigger role as he was so great in PoA.

” Now he can finally be together with Sirius again <3> “

I so agree, Felicia! ;)

lol. I agree too _

Sirius and Remus in teh afterlife yayz

Avatar Image says:

I am always surpriced to see how an actor who played a lot of nasty, sneaky and unsympatheric characters made a HP character one of my favorites. Lupin (and Threwliss) did so well in PoA, but sadly faded a bit in the following parts. Even in DH he is a minor character and a character than can easily be cut from the screen. Of course I hope to see Threwliss back in the 7th picture, but I would not be surpriced when he isn’t.

Avatar Image says:

That’s funny. I could have SWORN Harry was her favorite character. I know which character I’m writing about for the next Scribby issue: JK Rowling. LOL.

Avatar Image says:

i like Thewlis. i like that he’s playing Remus, who i loved since he was introduced in PoA. how he was there fore Harry (even before Harry knew Lupin was his dad’s good friend).

PS well, Harry is JK’s baby, though, right?

Write a Reply or Comment