Happy Banned Books Week

114

Oct 02, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

This week, through Oct. 6, is Banned Books Week, a celebration of freedom to read in the face of censorship, supported by the American Library Association’s Office of Intellectual Freedom and many libraries and organizations worldwide. Harry Potter is the most challenged set of books in the 21st century, and though it has taken a brief rest from the limelight in the 2006 Top 10 list (probably because there was no Potter book released that year), it remains one of the most vocally opposed series of books in history. This standing builds on august precedent set by books like Toni Morrison’s “The Bluest Eye,” Roald Dahl’s “James and the Giant Peach,” and J.D. Salinger’s “Catcher in the Rye.”

To show your support for Banned Books Week, read a banned book, display an image of support, and tell people why it’s important to support the right to read whatever you like. You can get images from the ALA press kit here, and find suggestions from the ALA on how to celebrate this event here.

Read banned books proudly!

39 Responses to Happy Banned Books Week

Avatar Image says:

Seem to be a lot of losers in this country with no lives of their own who are bent on trying to involve themselves in the lives of others .Pathetic.

Avatar Image says:

Wow these people have a point. We should definately ban all books that might conflict with someones opinion!

Avatar Image says:

We must then be careful on these forums for expressing our opinion or they’ll just ban us too along with those books. Nice one.

Avatar Image says:

A lot of the banned books are all the more intellectual books. Are they going to start burning intellectuals next?

Avatar Image says:

Read The Giver. Once a banned book, it is a wonderful read.

Avatar Image says:

A sure fire way to increase interest in a book…HAVE SOME FOOL BAN IT!

Avatar Image says:

A few years ago I bought a bumper sticker that said “Everything I Needed to Know, I Learned from Reading Banned Books”.

Avatar Image says:

book banning is only used in the US basicly due of a bunch on religious freaks as most o the mare there, do something against thier religouis freaks leader and they ban your book, all the religous freaks should get a free gun with a bullet so they can blow thier own brains out and save the world from alot of problems. like when i erver in the swedish army and was on dute on afghanistan, they allow books but no pictures, knowledge on holy, but in the US they want to even ban that bue of religous freaks. is that somethng to be happy, a modern country like th US stil has book banning in schools, you wonder they they kicking your ass and hate your ignorance towards the of the world.

as they say if you want to rule a population easy, keep them supid and ignorat, don´t you love americans, a countru full of stupid and ignorant people, life is good, as they say a good American is a Dead American.

Avatar Image says:

I luurrve Banned Books! They have a complete list, right? I need them so I can go look and read – Ha!

Avatar Image says:

rodrigo, you are so ignorant I see! Banned books are not confined to the US. Check other countries, eg. Middle Eastern ones, and your facts before commenting on something you haven’t got a clue about.

Avatar Image says:

Yay, Banned Books Week! :) Reminds me of Jo saying she was honored she had joined such an accomplished list.

And woaaah, hahaha geez, Rodrigo. You’re freaking crazy. Go uh—read a book and chill out for a while.

Avatar Image says:

Banned books?? are they serious??? weird i’ve never heard of banned book’s week! Can u imagine if harry potter was banned??? :( A world without harry potter, its just unthinkable!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yes! It’ll be a good week! Rodrigo-that is totally out of line. We may have issues, but every country in the world does. Somehow I doubt Sweden is a wonderful happy country with nothing wrong with it. Sure, Bush is an idiot, but that doesn’t reflect all of us! It also may be true it is often religious fervor that drives the banning of books, but that doesn’t mean religion is an evil thing! It’s also not a dictatorship over here! Check your facts and next time you type on an english board check your spelling. Masha-you didn’t know that Harry Potter was a banned book? or are you being sarcastic? I coulnd’t tell. yes, it is often banned. A few years ago the Pope was against it, comparing it to stalin and hitler. Pope John Paul II thought it promoted literacy and other good things. Pity he died…

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if anyone else said this or not but you misspelled limelight. ”...and though it has taken a brief rest from the >>>>limelighti<<<< n the 2006 Top 10 list (probably because there was no Potter book released that year” oh and you left out the “i” in the word ‘in’ that’s on the same line of the article.

Avatar Image says:

Rodrigo, I hope you realize that there are Americans who strongly dislike the type of American you described. And I’m afriad wishing death on an entire group of people makes you no better than the people you just described, either.

Avatar Image says:

Happy Banned Books Week everyone! To celebrate, why not read one of the books on the list you haven’t read yet? That’ll show ‘em! :P

And Rodrigo, did you type with your nose?

Avatar Image says:

I agree. We NEED to read banned books proudly!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! ‘Catcher In The Rye’ was a “banned book”??? It was “required reading” when I was in High School….shame that Rodrigo didn’t go to school here….(or DID he?) I feel embarrassed for you, Mr R.

Avatar Image says:

rodrigo, you seriously have some issues with the USA! I don’t know what your problem is but please keep opinions like that to yourself!

Avatar Image says:

rodrigo, if I’m not mistaken this is a HARRY POTTER board. We’re not here to talk about politics or religion. I can’t believe you would write such terrible words about our country but please dont share them with us!

Avatar Image says:

that is really cool that there is a week celebrating banned books! i love it! Hermione’s Twin, that bumper sticker is pretty much made out of awesome! I’m surprised that The Giver was a banned book. I can’t think of anything that is bad about it! It’s a really good book.

Avatar Image says:

I have studied in Italy, sweden, Germany, Belgium, so English was my 5:language i learnt due of standard in the armed forces working in afghanistan, and the mandatory language on publishing reports. beside being a sweidsh citizen or European as i call me instead, i lived very little in sweden, but i did a semester on a US collage(mandary due of my research on mine field of expertise on biomechaniks, there i saw how late and retarded and stupid and the ban book list,and the actions of you military in afghanistan and your so many religios freaks crawling, like the local warlord sed, a good american is a dead american, since yo uare 300 miljon idiots more or less, a couple more dead from your side would not hurt anyway, comapred to how many you have killed in afghanistan and Iraq it´s the least you can do to “pay” the debt that the US has on towards the rest of the world. Give all a gun in the USA and let them do the work themself, what a wonderfull world it would be.

Avatar Image says:

I love this week! I normally read alot but this week I usually drop all that I am doing and try to read as many banned or challenged books as posible. I actually borrowed five from the library last week and I know that I won’t finish them all this week but it’s a goal. Haha.

Once you look at the list of banned and challenged books it’s really quite shocking which ones actually make the list and it usually I can find no reason for them to be banned (or at least the reasons are BEYOND dumb like the word godd* was in Fahrenheit 451 so it was banned at some library which if you’ve read it, causes a new level of irony on its own). I don’t get why certain books would even be considered to be banned the only kind I can see maybe are books that talk about sex and you don’t want little kids to read it. Ok. Understandable. But unfortunately they’ll find out throuh worse means anyway.

And rodrigo, just so you know, America along with Western Europe probably have the least amount of censorship when it comes to books. Sure it’s unfortunate there is any censorship at all but make sure you do your research before you say something like that. There are plenty of other countries that ban books to the extent they search you for them when you enter the country and still burn them at that. This also happens without a chance to appeal for those books and in America you can. Most people here are Harry Potter fans who have branched out to other literature and I think it is safe to say more than half of the people who visit this site are Americans so in a nutshell…you’re out of line.

(Sorry for the rant)

Avatar Image says:

Also rodrigo, it is time you decipher between the American people and the American government. Personally I think you should CAN IT. This is not a place to go in depth into politics and international relations while insulting the majority of the people who visit this site.

Avatar Image says:

As an ex-librarian I fully support banned books week. Good for Leaky for publicising it!

Avatar Image says:

Books from hell to rule them all! \o/

Ahahah, well, what can I say? Reader of banned books and proud of it.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Maybe just maybe Rodrigo needs to read more English . One thing about his rants I had a hard time reading them because of the many spelling errors he made. I remember reading many so of the so called “banned books” in the 50’s and 60’s for school and enjoyed them immensely. Guess i will read my HP books again this week alog with others. Right on for banned book week.

Oh yeah Rodrigo have you ever seen what books and magazines you need to keep from children in Sweeden. Sorry about the last one folks but I have been to Europe and many things were banned from Sweeden, even in Amsterdam and Germany where many things are regulated but not banned entirely. Oh well let me go find one of the banned books in my library.

Avatar Image says:

Rodrigo, why on earth did you post something so unrelated to banned books and Harry Potter? I’m not American, but you have no right to say something like that.

Avatar Image says:

I quite agree w/ julia. But, on the topic it really sadens me that classic pieces of American and European liturature are being desicrated and shunned when the youth of this world sit and rot their intelect on mindless video games and television, when these books have less of a worse effect than pretty much everything thet see on the media or in a game. I am named after a character in the book To Kill A Mocking Bird, who was the only lawyer in the state of Alambama to represent an African American in court, this book is banned; J.D Salinger A Catcher In The Rye, a truely important american era piece has been banned and the newest of the long list is the Harry Potter series, of which i am a die hard fan. A reason for this has yet to reach my ears. Once again I am greatly saddened that parents would rather their children to learn about death and lust from a television rather than read a book.

Don’t feed the troll.

Whoever mentioned ‘The Giver’, is that the one by Lois Lowry? I remember reading that in elementary school, and can’t imagine why it would be banned.

Hey all,

Was wondering who exactly is banning these books? Seems a little medieval to me.

Thanks :D

Avatar Image says:

Idiots are banning them, Dark Lord. Idiots. Speaking of intolerant buffoons, Rodrigo is a hypocrite of the worst kind.

Avatar Image says:

well, hellooooo there laura mallory! hope you have a happy banned books week!

Avatar Image says:

Whoot! I LOVE the captain underpants books! They’re so funny.

Avatar Image says:

I suggest we ban the Bible – the do witchcraft in there hiding it cleverly by naming it ‘wonders’! No, seriously, I never could understand what this banning is all about. I’m really happy we don’t have to put up with such nonsense in Europe (as far as I know). I wholeheartedly like to support all those in the States who fight banning! Go for those banned books and read them, if they are crap you will find out yourselves!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m reading His Dark Materials again. They’re banned in a some schools, I think.

Avatar Image says:

Rodrigo what on earth is wrong with you? The USA is one of the great countries of the world. How on earth can you say that about us? How would you feel if I insulted your country (which of course I wouldn’t do because I don’t think like you)

Avatar Image says:

whoa kewl BOO LAURA MALLORY!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Rodrigo, you are a loser. you are nothing more than that.

Write a Reply or Comment