New Video Interview with David Thewlis on Books, Remus Lupin, and More

381

Oct 06, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Sky News in the UK has a new video interview with actor David Thewlis now online, where the actor discusses his new novel “The Late Hector Kipling,” the works of author J.K. Rowling, and his role as Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter films. In the final minutes of the conversation (interview runs a total 7:13), David Thewlis says he will be back for the remaining two Harry Potter movies, noting how much really loves working on the films, and is very complimentary about the directors and his fellow cast members. David also confesses he has not read all of the Harry Potter novels, revealing he has read them all only up to “Goblet of Fire.” He jokes he “pays a 12 year old neighbor in Harry Potter memorabilia he steals from the set” to fill him in on all of Lupin’s antics (he did not read “Order of the Phoenix,” just relied on the script). He continues on to say he does know however, the fate of the beloved Marauder Remus Lupin in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. To watch this rare video interview with the always lovely David Thewlis, click here.

Thanks much Jamie!

26 Responses to New Video Interview with David Thewlis on Books, Remus Lupin, and More

Avatar Image says:

oh WOOOt, i love david thewlis.. wish hed read the books though..

Avatar Image says:

I can’t get any sound. I will try back later. On another note, I wish I was his neighbor who gets stuff from the set just to fill him in on Lupin. :)

Avatar Image says:

I can actually see them cutting out Remus’s and Tonks’s deaths, as we didn’t actually get to see them.

Avatar Image says:

What is the matter with these actors?! Read the book already, people!

Avatar Image says:

Ok, pottershrink! Calm down! LOL I think it’s great of him to actually ADMIT that he hasn’t read the books. Sometimes, actors/actresses, who portray characters from books, like to come in “cold”. I don’t think that was the case, with Mr Thewlis. I think he just didn’t have time. It’s ok. I bet he’s working on them. (hee, hee) MYG! He’s good looking! Of all the “migrant”Professors, he’s my favorite. And he’s really well spoken, too! YIPPEEE….he’s gonna finish the series!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

It’s always a bit sad to hear that some actors don’t read the books, but you know you can’t make them and as long as they play the characters good I’m happy. Great interview btw, he’s so cool!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think it’s a big deal that the actors don’t read the books – particularly when the part is as microscopic as Lupin’s is in the films.

But even if it was a huge part – the scripts and the directors often have a very different vision of the character than the book. It just doesn’t strike me a very big deal, frankly.

David Thewlis is lovely.

mmrawrmmrawrmmwhatsgoingonwithrupertgrintdotnetmrawrm..

Avatar Image says:

What is up with him not reading the books!? He’s a wonderful actor, though…

Avatar Image says:

He said he’s reading the books, but he’s just really behind. At least he’s making the attempt. He’s a brilliant actor, I’m glad they’re bringing him back. Hopefully they don’t rip his part to shreds.

Avatar Image says:

I hate it when they don’t read the book, to be honest. Jason Isaacs brought more to the role by suggesting some simple but “magic” stuff to Chris Columbus and Alan Rickman knew not to do something in the 4th movie that counteracted something he knew about his character. I think that if the actor knew something and insisted on it, it would be closer to the book and therefore would make all of us fans happy. I understand why the actors might want to come in “cold” and do their own interpretation of the role, but not for these books. It’s Harry Potter, fer gosh’s sake.

Avatar Image says:

HEY, HEY Guys, I am just happy that he has read the first four books and that he is attempting to read the others. I do not think they should hire actors for the Harry Potter movies if they have not read at least one of the books. But he is a good actor, not who I picture as Lupin but he is still good. MAY THE POTTER BE WITH YOU

Avatar Image says:

awwwww! i love david thewlis. hes so awesome. a great remus. a PERFECT one if you ask me. oooooooo! im glad that hes gonna play remus in DH. hope he reads it first tho… might be helpful to him. not that he really needs it!!! :D

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Love DT!

And he just hasn’t read all the books, he didn’t say he doesn’t read them at all.

He has a baby daughter, a famous actress wife, he’s just finished a novel, he’s just finished like two movies and is probably preparing to work on another two (Angel Makers and HPB), is doing TV and newspaper interviews and has just (or will) played identical twins on a TV show.

Doesn’t like he has a lot of time to read a novel the size of a boulder for a part in a movie he has only two and a half lines in.

Avatar Image says:

I love David Thewlis. And the important part is that he’s read enough to understand who Lupin is. I hope at some point he does read the rest of the books, though. If he’d read OP, we might have seen more of him in the movie, and that would have been nice.

Someone mentioned that Rickman knew certain things about his character that kept it from conflicting with the later books, and I think Brendan Gleeson was the one who insisted that certain of Moody’s scenes be included. He didn’t get that from the script but from the book-so there is a reason for them to read the books-or at least the portions that include their character. Didn’t Ralph Fiennes say that he read and re-read all the scenes at the end about Voldemort? It showed, because he totally nailed the essence of his character.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the double post, but I didn’t put in that strike through. I guess it’s because I used a dash. (Must remember not to do that anymore.)

Eeyore, who wishes we could edit our posts. :-(

Avatar Image says:

Hey radcakesfan, what was it that Snape knew not to do? Just curious. Is it on the DVD? I dont think it is vital for them to read the books but it would be nice. If it was important, then the directors and producers would have made it mandatory. Thewlis plays Lupin perfectly so we cant complain really. In all of the books, Azkaban was the main movie for Thewlis and he nailed it (and I figure at the time he may not even have read the 3rd book yet).

Avatar Image says:

its not that important that HE read the book. The antics of his character could fill a few pages at best. As long as he understands how his character is feeling, which inst that hard.

Now…someone like Gambon could benefit greatly from reading HBP

Avatar Image says:

omg I love david, he’s so cute. he’s like the opposite of Lupin hehe. Although I wish he’d make more of an effort to read the books i think it’s cool that he’s witten a book himself instead. Considering he’s only read one book with his character in it, I think he’s really good at playing Lupin. He’s quite like the Lupin i imagine from the books, except with no grey hair lol.

Avatar Image says:

Honestly, although Lupin is a pivotal part it’s simply not large enough in either movie coming up to make reading the book a neccessity. He needs to know that he rejected Tonks but came around and that he cares for Harry and fears for his family’s safety. If he has a script, direction and is ‘filled in’ for the aount of screen time he has, it is enough. I think he was brilliant in OotP. Now people like Dan need to have read the books – good thing he has then…

Avatar Image says:

Hey Professor Potter, spot on.

Avatar Image says:

David Thewlis is an awesome Lupin, and in this case I really don’t care if he’s read the books or not because he’s great and understands the character anyway!

Avatar Image says:

he’s an awesome actor…butttttttt…..............................................................:(............ .......honestly…........he should have really read the 5th book b4 acting in the movie…....he did a great job though….I hope he reads HBP and DH at some point though….and of course order of the phoenix as well…_

Avatar Image says:

Professer Potter, actually the thing that Alan Rickman refused to do was mentioned by Dan in interviews and I think in the behind the scenes bit in HP GoF. I suppose it’s a bit of a cheat,as it was information that Rickman got out of Jo Rowling to give him more insight into his character (and not from the book). Still, it shows he did his research. Good thing too, considering! I suppose I just haven’t liked Thewlis’s performance too much, especially the shrieking shack scene. That’s the problem, we all “see” the scenes in our heads and then it doesn’t show up on screen the way we want sigh

Avatar Image says:

ooh, i just found out how you put things in “bold” lol *open eyed

Avatar Image says:

I think I am one of those HP-fans who think the actors should read the books before stepping in from of the camera.

Well This intervieuw makes me change my mind, a movie is almost always so different from the book, that knowledge of the canon could get in the way for performing the character as the director sees it necesairy to fit in a coherent movie.

Write a Reply or Comment