J.K. Rowling On Tour: Leaky Readers Tell of Meeting the Harry Potter Author

102

Oct 15, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The first event in Los Angeles, California with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has now concluded (early photos here), and stories are beginning to appear from lucky fans who met Jo today. ABC out of LA now has a story online about the event at the Kodak theater today, with a quote from Jo who noted:

“To be honest this has been an amazing treat for me. The last time that I was in the states was 2000. Things got a little bit unmanageable signing wise in terms of numbers who was turning up, but I really missed being able to interact directly with readers,” says J.K. Rowling.

Among the many who were at the first stop of the Open Book Tour were two people who are special to us at Leaky: PotterCast’s own Bre Bishop (she of the very cool tour videos) and Rita Gill, and they were among those who got to meet our favorite author. Jo patiently signed copies of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” books for every one of the 1,600 young people at the event, and it proved to be an exciting and wonderful moment for the two longtime Harry Potter fans.

Standing in line waiting to have their books signed, they described the scene noting that some of the children were dressed in their Harry Potter robes and all were all very excited, with even one youngster saying he dared another student to ask JK her real name. Bre told us of her meeting with Jo, describing the wonderful moment when Jo was autographing her book. Bre got to speak briefly with Jo, telling her how much the books had changed her life and what an impact they have had on her. Jo looked up and smiled making eye contact and saying thank you very much and that it meant a lot to her to hear these things.

Rita was also very emotional during her meeting. In a very lovely and heartfelt way, Rita told of how she burst into tears upon meeting Jo, practically sobbing, telling her that all the friends she has right now are due to the Harry Potter books. Jo then got up and went over to Rita, hugging and comforting her, telling her not to cry. wow.

If you are among those who met Jo today, or will meet her at the next two stops, please send in your story and any photos to staff@the-leaky-cauldron.org and we will post them.
Congratulations to all who met Jo!

29 Responses to J.K. Rowling On Tour: Leaky Readers Tell of Meeting the Harry Potter Author

Avatar Image says:

First post! I’d love to hear your stories too. Ooh, I wish I could have gone. The next best thing would be if it was broadcast on TV (and watchable in the Netherlands!)

Avatar Image says:

Ah, sorry. Not first post after all ;o)

Avatar Image says:

Did JK answer questions about the books?

Avatar Image says:

Great to hear those stories! Congratulations on meeting Rowling! Again she sounds like such a lovely, lovely women!

Avatar Image says:

How did Bre and Rita get to go to this? Neither of them are LA schoolchildren…. O_o

Avatar Image says:

oh i wish i could go to won i would start crying to if i met her

Avatar Image says:

oops typo “and i would start crying” not “won” i wonder how i did that ? oh well

Avatar Image says:

It’s odd that Jo said she hasn’t been in the states since 2000 since she was at the radio city music hall reading in august 2006. Did bre and rita take de-aging potions ala fred and george to be able to go?

Avatar Image says:

Oh it’s a huge relief to read Bre and Rita’s stories. I’ve been going through old JKR interviews all weekend, and one of them started off with a lady from Scholastic telling fans they could get their books signed but no asking Jo questions or anything because there wasn’t time. It would be so awful to be shoo’d off by a Scholastic rep just as I was trying to say whatever horribly brilliant and memorable thing I am going to say to Jo.

Avatar Image says:

Wasn’t JKR staying in the hamptons recently (as in way after 2000). I knew she was bad with numbers but this is ridiculous: she has for sure been to the states since 2000!

And how did those two get access to the event? I thought you had to be part of that program to get in.

AHHHHHHH Jelous

Avatar Image says:

I want details. What did she say? I can’t believe she touched Rita. That would be the highlight of my LIFE! I saw her in New York at Radio City Music Hall—I will never forget that I was in the same building as her. Didn’t get to talk with her, but oh my gosh, wow!!! I hope everyone who got to go had a great time (entered, didn’t win, live in Indiana, not New York, LA, or New Orleans).

She has been here since 2000, I saw her!!!

Avatar Image says:

I going to meet J.K on Friday in N.Y.!! I can’t wait! When I found out I cried for like a 1/2 hour! Then I just sat in amazement!! :)

Avatar Image says:

That is so cool Bre and Rita!! But how did they get their books signed? They’re not school children… but it’s so awesome that they were still able to meet her!

Avatar Image says:

LOL you guys. We are not school children but Rita and I had been there since very early morning and some extremely nice man working there took pity on us and allowed us in to get autographs.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, that’s so cool!!! Yeah, just a little confused. I wish I could go, but, I live far away from NY and New Orleans, so it’s out of the question. I can’t wait to hear the rest of the reports!

Avatar Image says:

well I didnt see this post

well i meet her today at the Kodak Theater

she didnt answer any new questions

they asked her about her mainly not about the books…well some about the books but if any of the kids would have read interviews then they would have had the answers

it was amazing

i was like 3ft away from her and she signed my book

she read the passage when the durselys were leaving( just happen to be on pottercast this week)

that was pretty much it

oh and while waiting to get our books signed they played previous book reading that she did

Avatar Image says:

Wow, this story makes me happy but (not gonna lie) very jealous! I was PRAYING to win tickets to one of the readings, but alas, no luck.

But… I did get to go to “An Evening with Harry, Carrie and Garp” last summer, and it was amazing. Hearing JKR read live in NYC was mindblowing. She read the chapter in HBP where Dumbledore goes to pick Tom Riddle up at the orphanage. Now, whenever I read that chapter, I can hear JKR’s voice, enunciation and emphasis in my head!

I agree with what people have said before. JKR and HP have changed and impacted my life in so many positive ways. I can’t imagine actually being able to meet her, but I’m sure it’s a magical experience. ;)

Thanks for sharing your stories Bre and Rita!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, congrats Bre, Rita, everyone! : ) Must’ve been incredible.

Avatar Image says:

This is all grest of course, but didn’t Jo do a reading for HBP in 2006?

Avatar Image says:

Oh wow! Congrats on meeting Jo Bre and Rita! You two are so lucky and I’m glad you got to meet her. :-) I don’t know how I would act if I got to meet Jo. I would either scream insanley or do the same as Rita. Probably the same as Rita because my eyes got misty reading that. Oh Jo is so amazing!

And she means she hasn’t done a book tour since 2000 everyone. In 2006, she came for a reading but had very little fan interaction like she would with a book tour.

Avatar Image says:

The Carnegie will not allow photos inside. I would like to know how Bre and friend got into the LA event as this is near me. I am flying to NYC and am getting excited. Nice to hear the feedback.

Avatar Image says:

I cried reading this. I’m happy Rita and Bre got to meet her.

Avatar Image says:

i’m such a baby. Rita story when she met Jo was so… :`-). i’m happy for all the kids who were in the event! perhaps one day, i’d bump into this wonderful writer/person who has brought so much love and happiness in my life. =)

Avatar Image says:

Am wiping my eyes—cut that out! Isn’t Jo the best?

Avatar Image says:

cries Man, that made me smile and get all teary-eyed. Oh, that’s wonderful, Rita! I’d give anything to have been hugged by a great woman like that! In fact, I dunno how I’d act if I ever had the chance to meet her! Cheers to all who got this amazing oppurtunity!

Avatar Image says:

It was seriously the most mindblowing moment of my life. I still remember what she smelled like! Which sounds crazy but you want to hold on to every single detail when something like this happens. I love Jo so much.

Avatar Image says:

I am also going to the event in NYC and still trying to decide on whether or not to wear the shirt I made (with a transfer with pictures of the books and Jo) or if I should dress fancy. Any ideas on what others are wearing? It says there is no dress code for the event at Carnegie Hall.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! I’m so jealous, but so psyched for you all the same. Jo has changed my life with her books and I’d give almost anything to meet her!

Write a Reply or Comment