J. K. Rowling Answers More “Deathly Hallows” Questions in New Orleans

115

Oct 18, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

As we previously reported, Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling participated in a reading and question and answer session as part of her Open Book Tour today in New Orleans, Louisiana. A few of those questions asked by twelve lucky students chosen from schools across the city to attend the reading are now online. The Times-Picayune via NOLA.com tells of Rowling receiving a standing ovation by the nearly 1,600 students and taking to a ‘throne-like chair’ preparing to read from the seventh novel. Contrary to previous reports, the Times tells of Jo reading from the third chapter of “Deathly Hallows,” mimicking the voices of the characters of Aunt Petunia and Daedelus Diggle, to many laughs from the enthralled crowd.

Following what was sure to have been an unforgettable reading, Jo answered twelve pre-selected questions from students who were in attendance at the event. The article notes the following from today’s Open Book Tour event:

The question topics ranged from the personal – her childhood experiences, the first piece of literature that inspired her (“The Wind in the Willows,” by Kenneth Grahame, read to Rowling when she was 4 and suffering from the measles) – to the political.

“I very consciously wanted to show what is one of the great evils of war, which is that totally innocent people are slaughtered,” Rowling told the children. “Another great evil of war is that children lose their families.”

“Do you believe that good always overcomes evil?” asked Naresha Dumas of Warren Easton High School.

“That depends on what you mean by ‘overcomes,’ ” Rowling said, referring to Harry Potter’s battle against the evil Lord Voldemort. “But as long as people are prepared to keep fighting … it’s amazing how small acts of kindness can add up, just living in a moral way, treating other people kindly.”

The article goes on to quote more answers from Jo on the outcomes of certain characters in her series. A note of caution to readers who wish to avoid “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” spoilers, this article does contain many. To read the SPOILER filled section of the article, you can click here.

Jo is scheduled to make the next stop of her Open Book Tour tomorrow in New York City for two readings at Carnegie Hall. Stay tuned to TLC for constant updates on Jo’s tour. Any lucky readers who were in attendance at any of these events please feel free to email your experience to [email protected]

31 Responses to J. K. Rowling Answers More “Deathly Hallows” Questions in New Orleans

Avatar Image says:

At one point in the question-and-answer period, a student spoke for the entire audience, shouting out, “I love you!”

“Thank you for that,” Rowling said.

♥ ♥ ♥

Avatar Image says:

She is wearing a sweater. I didn’t think it was that cold in N.O. I like the fact that Cho married a muggle. She knew he wouldn’t go off and die fighting wizards.

Avatar Image says:

JK Rowling truely is the best. It is like that the World of Harry Potter is real and does exist and every other piece of information that Jo tells us about (the stuff that wasn’t in the epilogue) gives us clues about the real world of Harry Potter after Voldemort was defeated. We all believe in this world, so lets make it real! I may have been blind, but what actually happened to Hagrid? I hope someone asks that question!

Avatar Image says:

why do they preselect the question. They always select softballs, or something we already heard before. :( and how come they are no list of the question and answere from these events. This sucks.

Avatar Image says:

Cho married a muggle. Interesting.

Avatar Image says:

I’m starting to give up hope that we will get a legendary JK interview with loads of new info, this is so disappointing :(

Avatar Image says:

It’s actually not her last stop tomorrow—Jo is coming here to Toronto after that.

Avatar Image says:

“Thank you for that,” Rowling said.

lol. i love you too Jo!!!!!!!! :D

hee hee hee. Cho married a Muggle. ... i hate Cho. lol.

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

I think that Jo is doing a great job, answering questions that have perhaps already been asked along with supplying new information to old questions. I am sure that most of us would like lots more information about the world of Harry Potter post Voldemort, however sometimes not knowing makes this all the more exciting. This is especially important if a Harry Potter encyclopedia does get written – would you really want to know everything before reading a Harry Potter encyclopedia? Personally I think that we have alot more to discover and although all of our questions may not get answered, we then get an exciting opportunity to work it out ourselves.

Avatar Image says:

Dull, dull, dull. I was so looking forward to these q and a’s but the PRE-SELECTED questions are hopeless.

Avatar Image says:

Oh this is priceless. Cho married a muggle. Cho threw Harry away. Cho goes after the only muggle that will have her. Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you Cho and Dudley Dursley.

[uncontrollable laughter icon required]

Avatar Image says:

I dunno why Jo was wearing a sweater…it’s was really humid today…and rainy. I wanted to pop over in the area but couldn’t, I had to work. I did get to meet Shaq(he’s enormous) and the Miami Heat, though. Not quite as cool, but cool enough.

Avatar Image says:

Why isn’t anybody asking any good questions? Kids just ask the same things over and over.

Avatar Image says:

Mrs. Rowling has got a new job: itinerant preacher

Avatar Image says:

Urgh, I hate these people. I mean, they have amazing chance to talk to JK, I would give anything I have for it, and they go and ask her things we know already. The only new thing is about Cho, and I love it.

Please guys, anyone who’s attending next reading, sk her something we don’t know, something about BOOK! Thanks

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Dudley married Cho (that’s hilarious by the way)....but I like to think that the greatest revenge was had as Petunia and Vernon’s only child did in fact marry a witch, and somewhere deep down in my ship loving heart, I do believe ladies and gentlemen, yes I do believe, that Dudley married good old Lav-Lav.

Avatar Image says:

Dudley marring a witch! My oh my, that would be priceless. I love the idea. Rotfl! Maybe someday she will answer what happened to him. I wish Jo would give an interview like she did with Emerson and Melissa. Now that would be an outstanding interview.

Avatar Image says:

Asking a question tonight, hope everyone thinks it’s a good one. Will report back on all of them when we return.

Avatar Image says:

there are some incredibly RUDE people writing comments on this site. i’m done with it forever. out.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if JKR toured NOLA privately, and if so, what her thoughts were. That would be a much more scintillating article than a generic book-signing bit.

On the other hand, some of her previous comments during this tour, like her discussion of religion in the books, have been very interesting. She’s someone I could relate to on a personal level—I read her comments and thought “wow, that’s exactly how I feel!”

She’d be an amazing person to have dinner with even if the subject of Harry Potter never came up.

Avatar Image says:

Cho married a muggle!!! that’s not really a great choice….Look what happened to eileen…..

Avatar Image says:

My daughter was one of those lucky ones who met JK Rowling in New Orleans yesterday. She was dressed in a hogwarts student hat and her goblet of fire hoodie (similar to the one Harry wears when taking on the dragon). My daughter told me that as she went up to see JK Rowling sign her book, Rowling looked up and said, “Well, look at you”. She was speechless! It was the highlight of her life!

Incidently, I was told that it was very cold inside the convention center. It is warm and humid here in Crescent City!

Avatar Image says:

I thought it would have been funny if Dudley, with a witch wife whom he hadn’t known was a witch (or even a Muggle wife—the gene can pop up unexpectedly and he DOES have the gene in his family tree!) and a witch or wizard child, had showed up at Platform 9-3/4 in the “19 Years Later” chapter!

Avatar Image says:

I do think that it is wonderful that Jo has been kind enough to “tour” and answer questions too !That is really very curtious,I am sure that thousands of us would like our indiviual questions answered. To be sensible a certain amount of “pre-organization” is a must. I have no doubt at all that we shall hear the “fate” of each of our beloved characters in time. The “magical-world” has been “saved” and “sense” has been regained (voldemort has been defeated = the main cause of evil removed) but of course as in the “Real World” we must try to work for good (“as it is only then that evil will be defeated”). I feel truly blessed that we have had the opertunity to enjoy a differing insight offered to us. WELL DONE Jo !

Avatar Image says:

“Cho married a muggle.” – i like that; i not surprised.

Molly: not just because Cho married a muggle is it guaranteed that his life is prolonged. i mean, whether wizard or muggle, we’re all going to die (and go to the next great adventure, that is). as a matter of fact, if she did marry a wizard, she wouldn’t have to worry of him fighting then dying in a frenzied battle coz, well, although bad people will never disappear, Harry has already defeated the chief death eater and made sure that all is well. =)

Avatar Image says:

That was pretty bold for that student to shout “I Love you” ! Wish I was that bold, oh shocks, I’m blushing now…

Avatar Image says:

One of the students Dominique Devezin said he will write up the event on his myspace – hmmm, might be worth checking for some more Potter revelations which I have to admit we are not getting much of in these news articles

Avatar Image says:

that is not much new post-DH facts she is giving. Well… they are actually a mixed blessing, on one hand we are dying to know what happened to many of the characters after DH, on the other hand we want as much freedom as possible to fantisize about it ourselves.

Avatar Image says:

Nosnibor, Hagrid was mentioned in the Epilogue (Harry told Al “Hagrid’ll invite you to tea on Friday).

I believe there’s a Quick-Quotes-Quill site around somewhere that has entire transcripts of Jo interviews, which is terrific, as the news articles aren’t catered towards obsessive fans like ourselves.

I do wish someone had asked about the Veil, though. It was a big deal when Sirius was killed and then it was never mentioned again.

Avatar Image says:

I was lucky enough to attend the event yesterday – it was absolutely one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I’ve typed up a full report at my livejournal (http://averita.livejournal.com). It includes an approximate transcript of the Q&A – I couldn’t get it word for word but I did the best I could to get what she was saying!

Avatar Image says:

I think it is awful that in “children’s” books you have to talk about the sexual preference of the characters of the book. WHO cares? Oh, but the gay community has to flaunt their preference. This is just not right, and I think everyone should be ashamed of this. I am sure my children will not watch or support the Harry Potter books and movies again. Booo to JK Rowlings.

Write a Reply or Comment