Oct 19, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

More news has come from author J. K. Rowling’s Open Book Tour stop this morning in New York City as we have received a few reports from this morning’s event. The first comes from Bloomberg which reports of a senior from Concord High School on Staten Island, Kristian Cuzco, question to Jo regarding marriage. She asks, “If you could marry anyone from the Harry Potter series, who would it be?” Jo’s reply:

“I actually married Harry Potter. My husband’s here, and if you have seen a photo of my husband, I think Harry Potter will look like that once he hits a certain age,”

I married a really good person. Harry is a really good person. And he’s a gutsy person.”

This article features more on this morning’s event and notes Jo’s comments on two other male characters in her series, Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy. She references the popularity of Draco, especially among girls, and playfully cautions readers by saying: “But as I’ve said before: No! No! Please don’t pass for Draco. I’ve given you an array of pleasant characters.” She also talks of creating Ron, a character she admits she has dated “more than once,” and that, “Ron is funny, very funny; he’s insensitive. There’s a lot of immaturity about Ron, and that’s where a lot of the humor comes from. He’s not much fun to date, but he’s great as a friend.’‘

Further news comes from TLC Reader GraceAnne, who was also lucky enough to see Jo’s reading this morning. She writes of an event she felt privileged to attend and describes Jo as ”…the perfect author.”

She writes:

She read the chapter where Harry departs from Privet Drive and the Dursleys. It was terrific to hear her words in her own voice.

Then she answered questions. About ten children, from 9-17, from all over the city, introduced themselves, their grades, ages, and schools, and asked their questions.

To an aspiring writer, her advice was read, write, and “stories are better if they are rooted in your feelings.” She said with heartfelt intensity that she loved writing the Harry Potter books ’ just loved it.

“The desire for magic is a deep-rooted desire” in humankind, she said, and that “Human nature remains the same whether or not you have a wand.”

In response to some questions about the couples, Jo allowed as how “in my younger days, I dated Ron more than once.” She said Hermione and Ron were meant to be together from the first. Ginny and Harry are soulmates, with a passionate connection. And, “Girls! Don’t fancy Draco!”

She said she did marry Harry Potter, and that her husband was in the audience (!)

Rowling suggested that Dudley and Harry had a Christmas card sort of keeping in touch, and that Harry’s kids and Dudley’s probably didn’t like each other very much but now and then would all get together while the adults sat in awkward silence. She said that the lightning scar was chosen for its “elemental power ¦ and it’s cool shape’ answered a question about how complicated it is for the wealthy Harry to give money to the poorer Weasleys, and stressed that Dumbledore loved Harry like a son.

Then the adults left and she sat down to sign 1600 books, one for each child. As I left, the first set of children were leaving too, and one little boy just kept chanting, “I touched her! I touched her!”

Fashion alert: a midnight navy or black (the lights made it hard to tell) silk shantung suit: pencil slim short skirt, open jacket, scoop- neck blouse. Black stockings, high heels. Red nail polish, elegant white gold lariat necklace. Her manner was warm, polished, open, and perfectly delightful. The noise level when the audience cheered was louder than it was when I saw Bruce Springsteen the other week.

What an amazing experience.

Finally, we have a few new pictures from the event. Reader Tina sent us in some pictures she snapped during the book signing this morning. You can see these pictures in our Image Galleries right here.

In a matter of hours Jo will be reading before an audience of contest winners at Carnegie Hall. More info when we get it!

Many thanks to GraceAnne and Tina!

52 Responses to J. K. Rowling Talks Marriage, Writing and More at Open Book Tour Stop in New York City

Avatar Image says:

Why. Just WHY would you waste an opportunity like that?! To get the chance to talk to Jo is a real, burning dream of so many, to have someone ask a question that’s been asked SO many times before is so frustrating!

But apart from that- yay more pictures _ And haha I love the fact that she thinks Neil is grown-up Harry =)

Avatar Image says:

Good on you, Jo! I always thought your husband was a grown up Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

Aah! I am so jealous of all who had the chance to attend! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your stories and pictures!

Avatar Image says:

Omigosh! Hermione did marry Harry! rofl! she always did say hermione was based on herself or something like that, and well, who did she marry! Take that, those people who say Hr marrying or kissing harry was like kissing your brother!! haha!

Avatar Image says:

“Dumbledore loved Harry like a son.”

[sniffs and wibbles in the corner] :’)

Avatar Image says:

radcakesfan – apart from the bit where she sais Hermione and Ron were always meant to be together, and that Harry and Ginny are soul mates. ;) Besides, she always said Hermione isn’t entirely based on herself – just some aspects of her personality as a teenager.

Oh, and by the way – “I love her like a sister”. Ha! ;) :D

Avatar Image says:

I love how Jo said Harry and Dudley had a ‘Christmas card sort of keeping in touch” and that they would get together now and then and sit in awkward silence. LOVE IT!!! :)

Avatar Image says:

“Girls! Don’t fancy Draco!” Oh Jo, we can’t help it!

Avatar Image says:

Soulmates with a passionate connection!!!! Jo, you are the greatest!

hee hee.

Avatar Image says:

there are some photos of jkr in new york on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&w=all&q=jk+rowling+new+york&m=text

Avatar Image says:

It’s GREAT to hear from those who got to be there today.

Knowing that I couldn’t see JKR in person and the foul weather here in NYC made for a very depressing day. That is until I read the accounts of the lucky people who were there!!

THANK YOU!

Avatar Image says:

Althrough I did not want to do it I Googled for pictures of mr.Murray….. and damnnn…... You should lay those pictures next to the picture of Harry Potter on Jo’s site and the two on the cover of HBP and DH ( UK version).

And then you know why Jo once said that she was very pleased with Daniel Radcliffe but he differed from how she thought Harry Potter looked like. And it isn’t just the glasses and the dark hair.

Avatar Image says:

That was an painful to read…

• “Hermione” dated Ron, married Harry.
  • Ron’s immature (that was supposed to be fixed by Deathly Hallows, he’s been through WAR).
  • The stupid kid that didn’t even read Deathly Hallows got to ask her something and is SELLING his book.
Avatar Image says:

Ummmm, Danielle….....I was under the impression (having actually READ DH) that “Herminone” married Ron, and Ginny married Harry…..did I miss something? Oh, well…thanks,everyone, for sharing your stories and pictures. Living in South Carolina, we NEVER get these things. *( It’s great to hear and see JKR and her fans!

Avatar Image says:

LoL – don’t read things when you’re tired folks! Its 1am here in the UK and i read the headline on this story as:

“J. K. Rowling Talks Open Marriage, Writing and More…”

I thought blimey – wasn’t this a kids event??! before re-reading and deciding immediately to take myself to bed, do not pass go, do not read HP news when you’re supposed to be asleep!!

Night night!

L!

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, everyone, for your stories and pictures! In South Carolina, we can pretty well be assured, that we won’t get your wonderful luck! I just know everyone had a great time!

Avatar Image says:

You guys, Jo Rowling is not Hermione Granger. She only sees parts of herself in her. They’re two very different people. Jo also said there are part of her in Harry. So did Harry marry himself? Think about what you’re writing.

That’s great info. I for my part, think she thinks rather highly of Ron. she talks about him in an endearing way.

Avatar Image says:

She also says of Ron, who she admits has “dated Ron more than once,”

Lolz. Ron has dated Ron? =P

Avatar Image says:

SIGHHHH!!!! Wish I were there tonight…...

Avatar Image says:

I belive she ment she dated someone “like’ Ron more then once when she was young. Question is anyone haveing trouble downloading the pictures on leaky or is it just me?

Avatar Image says:

I agree, it’s annoying when these little eight-year old kids get up there and ask the same bland questions over and over. There are SO MANY MORE intelligent, thoughtful, and important questions that could be asked at that moment and nobody chooses to! I mean, I could spend hours talking about Snape and Dumbledore and the Marauders and Harry with her, I don’t know why nobody ever delves into any of those people! It’s always, so why did Ron and Hermione get together? Who cares? I was really pleased with the religious discussion which came about at her LA reading. That was informative and interesting.

One little off-the-top-of-my-head question I have is what Severus thought of Dumbledore and if Dumbledore was perhaps the only other person Severus thought of in a warm light, other than Lily. I’d also like to know more backstory on Lily and what their friendship was like in Rowling’s mind. That stuff is far more interesting than “why did you kill Hedwig?” or “why did you have to kill Lupin and Tonks?” which have both been asked too often already!

Avatar Image says:

never mind I found my mistake with my pictures on leaky

Avatar Image says:

Confederate Lady, I was joking around the fact that Jo said she was a lot like Hermione in her youth and in the article she says she ended up marrying Harry, even though she dated a few Rons. The H/Hr shippers must be happy.

But, like Ian said… Hermione ISN’T Jo Rowling, I’m aware of it. I don’t know, I just didn’t like the article.

Avatar Image says:

Now I can dream on. There’s every chance that Hermione is gonna wake up to reality, divorce Ron and then marry Harry. Or H/Hr could take the Time turner again and go back so they could start all over again with a clean slate. hmmm… that sounds like a good storyline for a fanfic. lol

Avatar Image says:

I’m an H/Hr shipper but I’m not too excited about this JKR marrying Harry news. The least Jo could have done was end it all with one swoop. But she keeps on making the wounds fresh by mentioning that Hermione will kiss harry in movie 7, or that she ended up marrying Harry after dating Ron. Bittersweet crumbs that doesn’t really fill me up. And saying that Harry and Ginny are soul mates is the cruelest joke of all. You don’t just say things like that. You show it to the readers and I’ve never seen this soul connection between Harry and Ginny in the books. Doesn’t help that she’s merely a wallflower too. I’m still stuck with the idea that the book’s plotline would be destroyed if harry and Hermione ended up together. You know, Harry is the hero and it would be unheroic to cheat on his best friend aside from taking the long way to finally vanquish Voldemort. gah, time to leave this fandom…

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, Jo, if you wanted to make Ron insensitive, I think you did a rather bad job sahowing it.

I think calling Ron “insensitive” is nonsense. I’ve dated insensitive boys. The Ron you showed in the books, is politely clueless, not insensitive. There is a line, and Ron does try. Insensitive boys do not try. They give up and move on. It’s what makes them horrible.

Ron would like nothing more than to understand Hermione’s every move and make everything perfect for her. He wants to be that perfect man. Insensitive boys claim to want that, but really they are just self-preserving gits.

Besides, Ron grew up tons in the 7th book. He chose to grow up, and he did a good job of it.

Avatar Image says:

Kayleigh, “politely clueless” is not the phrase to describe Ron either. He’s not the most POlite of people. He has put his foot on his mouth many times and sometimes, it was Hermione who was the brunt of his insensitive remarks. He matured some in the last book, but only in the last pages of that book. Of course, that doesn’t stop Hermione from liking him. it’s the “I’m going to reform him” syndrome that most girls have. Probably why JKR says she’s so like Hermione in her teenage days. She also tried to reform a guy but learned her lesson and married Harry. Maybe Hermione will have better luck with her Ron.

Avatar Image says:

Ron has never hurt hermione’s feelings kmowingly, unless he was very angry and it was in the heat of his anger, not his normal behavior. Which is something that can’t be really said about hermione herself, who, manytimes, had hurt his feelings knowingly and without the heat of anger thing, cause she does understands him way more than he does her. Which would make her way more insensitive than he is.

So, Ron had hurt her feelings knowingly when in anger? So, she hurt him physically in her heat of anger (HBP, canaries, anyone?), so, maybe Ron has a lot hermione-reforming to do too.

Also, btw, insenstive guys wouldn’t blush crimson if anyone paid them a simple compliment, or mentioned the word “girls” in front of them, and they wouldn’t jumb to defend your honor whenever someone dares to say something half bad to/about you! And they don’t go jumbing to your side comforting you everytime you burst out crying like a loose hose, like frequently happened in DH.

If this’s JK’s (or yours) idea of “insensitive” guys, then you should have been really lucky with the guys you met!

Avatar Image says:

cool it girl! We’re not talking about Hermione. She has her flaws too. Not defending JKR or anything but I guess she went for the stereotype of the fumbling, insensitive teen in Ron’s character. In many ways, the trio are all stereotypes of traditional literary characters. Harry as the brave hero, Hermione as the brainy but ordinary looking nerd, and Ron as the lovable, goofy sidekick. That turning pink is just a reflection of Ron’s funny, goofy ways which BTW is just a reflection of his many insecurities. Thankfully, they are not one-dimensional characters so we see a development in their personalities as they grow up. But although Ron has his up moments, he slips back to being a jerk so generally, his character is what JKR might term as immature and insensitive. I realy thought he’d be big time Gryffindor in the last book but he messes up again and that was deliberate on the author’s part cause she wanted her “Ron as immature, insensitive sidekick that Hermione has to reform” subplot.

Avatar Image says:

JKR may think Ron’s a loser but at least his relationship with Hermione was real. Unlike Harry Stu and Ginny Sue’s ‘relationship.’ I notice that she still can’t come up with a realistic reason for why they are together.

Avatar Image says:

So I’m supposed to beleive that after everything that happened to Ron in book 7 and all the maturing that he did, that grownup Ron’s still as insensitive and immature as a 14 year old? give me a break. I hate how she writes one thing in the books then says something completely different in interviews.

Avatar Image says:

Bigamy is for forbidden, illigal Mrs. Potter-Rowling-Murray.

And do not any longer preach! You are a hypocrite.

Avatar Image says:

Look, Rowling I like the character I want, and it happens that I love Draco and his parents. No, I don´t like your Harry Stue or your Ginny Sue. Their relationships in the books is so poor written it hurts me. BTW, I can´t understand why Rowling is so obsessed about Draco and his fans. It´s only a book. It´s not real life. Some people prefer Darth Vader, Hannibal Lecter or Lex Luthor and the planet hasn´t collapsed. Sorry for my English but I´m actually Spanish.

Avatar Image says:

“I realy thought he’d be big time Gryffindor in the last book but he messes up again…”

Oh, yeah? And were you under a rock or something when he pulled that Gryffindor Sword, which accidentally.. oh, let me think… only pulls it a True Gryffindor? Or have you been giving a blind eye when he oh, so bravely used that very Sword to destroy a very vicious piece of Vold.’s soul that was fighting for his(Ron’s) own soul?

BTW, I’ve always fully supported Harry/Ginny, and had always been against R/Hr cause I always thought that hermy is not right at all for Ron (neither for Harry for tht matter), and that a control freak like her is not right for any marriage in general, and for someone as proud and emotional as Ron in special. And you now saying that hermy is goona give Ron a “reforming”, only makes me hate this relationship even more, cause when we love someone, we take them just the way they are, if we try to change them into something they’re not, then we do not love them at all really.

Avatar Image says:

“Hermione and Ron were meant to be together from the first.”—twas pretty obvious to me and oh, how i rooted for them.

“Ginny and Harry are soulmates, with a passionate connection.”—awww. twasn’t obvious to me at first, but looking back, Jo did leave very clever signs. i luv how in the DH, Ginny kept popping in Harry’s mind… he just can’t stop thinking about her… and how their love for each other blazes in their lives. =)

Avatar Image says:

I disagree with the notion that Ron (after DH) is overly insensitive and immature. He has grown up and learnt a lot. Besides, I think JKR was talking of Ron in the series, and he was quite insensitive and immature for the first 6 books. I don´t think Ron needs to be reformed by Hermione (after DH) or Hermione by him.

JKR´s complete quote on their relationship shows why they are perfect for each other the way they are:

"Ron and Hermione, however, are drawn to each other because they balance each other out. Hermione's got the sensitivity and maturity that's been left out of Ron, and Ron loosens up Hermione a bit, gets her to have some fun. They love each other and they bicker a bit, but they enjoy bickering, so we shouldn't worry about it."
Avatar Image says:

Accio_Hp7, is that really what JK said abotu ron and hermione, because if so, that makes me very happy! were you there to hear her say it or did someone transcribe that answer?

Avatar Image says:

Jo is still surprised when she reads that fans are torn about Snape and unequivocally stated that Snape was “bitter, vindictive and mean.”

I love Snape becasue he is Snape. And he is not gay, but normal. I love that fact!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Jex. That´s what she said in NY about Ron and Hermione. I don´t know how to insert a link here (if that even is possible) but here is the sit´s address with the article that contains of JKR´s quotes.

And coming back to Ron, she did elaborate on him when answering why she didn´t kill Arthur in OotP. She said Ron grew up in DH. He is the last one to reach adulthood and finally did so when he destroyed the locket.

Avatar Image says:

I have never relied on what was “obvious” in the books. What was obvious to me was Harry/Cho since book 3. She only made H/G obvious in the last two books. Of course now that Jo said H/G are soulmates, the shippers jumped on that eventhough there’s not much evidence of it in the books. The same way some gave hindsight vision that it was obvious that Dumbledore was gay all along. At least some self righteous fans have a taste now of what it feels like to read one thing and then hear the author give a completely explanation.

Avatar Image says:

There’s no reason why H/Hr shippers would go crazy over what JKR said. There’s a little bit of JK’s personality in both characters. I mean Hermione is not Jo! And about her saying that Ron is insensitive is being taken too seriously (although I also didn’t like her choice of words). He was insensitive, but he matured a lot in the last book. Ron and Hermione work well together because their differences compliment each other. Hermione is a know it all and can be a bit too opinionated and crazy herself. Instead of just asking Ron to the Yule Ball herself she goes with Viktor Krum and even while seeing Ron’s jealousy snogs Krum later on. Then she hurls canaries at him when he starts dating Lavender. Ron is not very tactful sometimes but that is what I love about him. Fans of Ron understand the pains of what it’s like to be him. The youngest boy, always overshadowed, and insecure. The locket scene made me cry because it was one of those moments where the readers actually got to understand his fears and vulnerable feelings. Ron is the most insensitive but he’s also the one least understood and appreciated. I wish JK could have had some better things to say about him.

Avatar Image says:

Hey Ron fans, now you know how it feels to be a Draco fan girl everytime Rowling speaks! :p She really dislikes the idea of any of her female fans being attracted to any other male other than her Harry Stu, doesn’t she? It’s creepy, especially now with the added “I’m married to harry in real life11!!” stuff. Ew.

Avatar Image says:

I found both the Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny couples pretty obvious since the second book, so it’s nice to hear JKR planned it all along.

Avatar Image says:

J.K. Rowling, you were thought of as a genious writer who brought back hope into the existence of goodness, of unconditional devotion, of good guidance through the personality of Dumbledore; a professor who reached a level of spirutuality and put his whole life to build a generation which can discern good from evil and learn how to fight it while keeping themselves whole and pur. How ridicule and pitiful to discuss such character’s sexuality; it shows nothing but how superficially people took your books and the messages – we thought – you were trying to communicate to generations to come. What a pitty!

Avatar Image says:

Foofy, I so agree with you. Ron is one of or maybe my favourite characters in the book, and I got so mad about what J.K. Rowling said about how insensitive he was. He matured a lot in the last book, look at the silver doe chapter, he heard hermione’s voice from the deluminator and realized he ought to be with her, that he loved her. And his brother died for god sake’s! Being through war doesnt leave you without any maturing at all. And foofy, you are right, Ron is insecure because he feels overshadowed, and i understand him, and i understand that he loves hermione too. I hate the fact that JK had to say that she married harry in real life, now its like hermione married harry in real life too and dated ron a few times but prefers him as a friend. What the hell was that??? Hasnt she always said that Ron and Hermione were meant to be together and Harry and Hermione were very platonic?? I hate when she writes something in the books but says something completely different in the interviews.

Avatar Image says:

“I hate when she writes something in the books but says something completely different in the interviews.”

Rock on girl! The books say something but the author gives totally diferent interviews. That Dumbledore is gay bomb totally spooked me. What if she says that Harry and Hermione are unconsciously in love with each other all along but just CHose another path? That seems to be the big theme in the HP series: CHOice.

Avatar Image says:

“What if she says that Harry and Hermione are unconsciously in love with each other all along but just CHose another path? That seems to be the big theme in the HP series: CHOice.”

But she didn´t say that. She said Harry and Ginny are soulmates and Ron and Hermione love each other. That´s what she wrote in the books and that´s what she elaborated on in interviews. She clearly said in NY (albeit in refernce to another question) that Ron has grown up in DH. Why do people harp in her comment that Ron is immature and insensitive. She obviously was referrig to pre-DH, pre-adult Ron. And she is right. Book 1 -6 Ron was quite immature and insenstive. Most of it born out of insecurity. As far as I am concerned, she cemented the canon couples in NY. H/Hr shippers have nothing to go on there. It´s not canon and it will never be. Most of them enjoy their fanon ship and that is wonderful.

Avatar Image says:

I just got so mad you know…JK confuses me sometimes. She said Harry wasnt a Hurcrux after all, and she wrote in the books that he was, and then she marries Harry, and then… AAAHHHH!!! I actually reread the chapters in Deathly Hallows when Ron goes away, how Hermione cries for him, and the reason he returned. The Deluminator. It’s so obvious in the books that Ron loves Hermione and Hermione loves him. And it made me feel much better what you said Accio_HP7, Ron and Hermione is canon and it always will be! JK just confuses me a lot sometimes. Dumbledore gay??? Never saw that one coming.

Avatar Image says:

Granger-Weasley: “JK just confuses me a lot sometimes. Dumbledore gay??? Never saw that one coming.”

Yes, it seems she contradicts herself sometimes, but i think mostly it´s because some of her statements are not put into context. And we should cut this woman a bit of slack, IMO. ;) She is bombarded with questions in the face of 1,600 people and hasn´t the time to elaborate fully on an issue. I guess that´s why some of what she says seem to be contradictory although she basically refers to a development rather than to a fix status quo.

And no one writes such scenes like the one you have just re-read, without being certain that the two characters involved really love each other and are suited for a long-term relationship. :D

Avatar Image says:

You really think so, Accio_HP7? You comfort me. I just love Ron and Hermione so much. So you don’t think Rowling meant Hermione really chose Harry instead of Ron when she said she herself had married Harry in real life?

Avatar Image says:

No, really not. JKR chose someone like Harry for herself. But Hermione is not JKR. So while boys like Ron were not right for JKR, Ron is absolutely right for Hermione. JKR, at least that´s my impression, loves this fictional relationship herself too much. I can imagine she had loads of fun with it. LoL And they are fictional. It happens what JKR writes and nothing else and she has written them happily married in the epilogue. Why should she write a marriage in the epilogue which she imagines would not work out? I don´t think we have to worry at all. I love Ron and Hermione very much also. Had a lot of fun reading it.

:D