PotterCast 122: It’s Saturday Night

364

Oct 22, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

This is a very special week for PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast as we talk about Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling’s recent Open Book Tour stops in the States. We have a special report about her Carnegie Hall reading in New York City where we discuss many of the new revelations from the event. Sue is especially victorious this week as we also learn that the great leader of Hufflepuff House may not have enslaved the Hogwarts House Elves… maybe. We have this and so much more during this, the 122nd episode of PotterCast. To listen, just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“It’s Saturday Night”

- A Carnegie Hall report: Leaky talks to Jo and brings back the story and some new canon.
- Did Helga really enslave the house-elves?
- Harry isn’t a Horcrux! And more.
- Discussing Dumbledore’s big news.
- Have you pre-ordered Jingle Spells?
- The Whomping Willows as well as Leaky staffers Alex and Nick chat with us for this special one-segment show.

RT: 53:53

Editor: Stede Bonnett

Scribbulus
Podcast Alley
Digg
Jingle Spells Wizard Rock CD

Direct download (25 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (6 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

161 Responses to PotterCast 122: It’s Saturday Night

Avatar Image says:

OH! I can’t wait to listen to this PotterCast!!! I was thinking that all the news from this weekend would have to wait until next week’s show!

Avatar Image says:

Hooray! Sadly short…oh well…a little dissapointed how the Dumbledore thing was handled at first…I was worried you were seriously referring to it as stamp collecting. Definitely amazing though!

Avatar Image says:

Yes I new podcast about the new infor!

Avatar Image says:

Nice stamp collecting analogy. Love you guys.

Avatar Image says:

i started cackling, rolling on the floor laughing so loud my family was wondering what was wrong with me when you guys started going on about stamps. absolutly an amazing way to handle the situation, i love you guys.

YES YES YES.

Avatar Image says:

I love you guys and I’m so glad you got to meet jo in NYC, you deserve it!

Avatar Image says:

I’m SO glad you addressed the whole issue of homosexuality and pedophilia. I was reading the comments earlier and was TRULY disgusted by them. How could anyone think of such vile things?! You’re right guys, there is a double standard and that’s unfortunate and I need to work on too but tat least I’m trying. (for those who read my previous comment on DD & G and I apologize.)

Let me make this clear because I know many people are berating Laura Mallory and thinking ALL Christians are like that. (I’m not addressing anyone on the podcasts b/c you’re better than that). Not all Christians are like her Especially me, I think I’m more open-minded than most.

Anyways, Thanks so much you guys!

Avatar Image says:

Great!! I can’t wait to listen to it. They’re probably only going to talk about the Dumbledore thing and nothing else. LOL. I hope mugglecast puts up a new one soon, because Laura got to go to the JKR thing in New York, so she probably has first hand experience.

Avatar Image says:

I was bawling my eyes out as you discussed Dumbledore’s love for collecting stamps. You guys are geniuses. Thank you for the humorous perspective that was certainly a breath of fresh air.

Avatar Image says:

Oh by the way, I just pre-ordered JingleSpells.

Avatar Image says:

I expected better from you guys when handling this issue.

They were people who expressed their views about not believing in homosexuality and disagreeing with jo in respectful way. They were those who support jo and believe in homosexuality and gays who expressed their views in a respectfull way. And their was those from both side of the issue who were name calling, and saying hatefull and intolerate things. Instead of acknowledging that this is complex issue and that they are people with valid different views on it, and shaming the ones from both sides about their behavior, you guys acted in very intolerate and immature way yourselves by mucking people with the views of not believing in homosexuality and belittling their religous believes. That is sad really.

What a great episode!

I am so happy that you had the chance to talk to Jo. No one deserves it more…but I do want to hear every little detail. Bit by bit with Jo sounds good to me! :)

And thank you for addressing the horrible reactions of so many supposed fans to the news about DD. I had to stop reading the comments because I was just so upset by the level of intolerance being displayed there. I was really glad to hear you speak out against such hatred. (On a lighter note, I absolutely loved the stamp collecting bit at the beginning of the discussion.)

*mocking

das- agreed

Avatar Image says:

I agree with das too, even though I understand you guys were joking, still could’ve addressed it a little better.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, congrats you guys! How awesome! You fans, above all others, deserve it! I’d be jealous if it was anyone else, but I know you all deserve it.

Thank you for addressing the homosexuality piece about Dumbledore, and though I can see what others on the comments are saying, I think the stamp collecting analogy properly said what you needed to say. Personally, I wasn’t completely fazed by the announcement, though I was surprised…but if you think about it, Dumbledore always did have impeccable fashion sense. :D

I think it’s an incredibly cool and brave thing to do, and it really hits the tolerance message out of the ballpark. To those who questioned Dumbledore’s relationship with Harry, I say shame on you. Pedophilia and homosexuality are not interchangeable.

I can see how people have been disturbed by this, but I know from experience that gay people are awesome and are people, too! I once was uncomfortable with homosexuality, but through meeting, interacting and learning about tolerance I’ve really learned to love everyone for who they are…a lesson I can attribute partially to the Harry Potter series.

Wow, I apologize for making this so long, but I had a lot to say! Once again, thank you PotterCast and Leaky for your response to this news and I am always interested in more!

And I honestly think the biggest reveal was about Hannah Abbott and Neville…how cute!

Avatar Image says:

I loved the Stamp collection bit. LoL. That was awesome. I was dying.

As for those of you were upset about it, you have to remember that this is their opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.

Avatar Image says:

What a wonderful episode. You guys absolutely deserve your meeting with Jo and it was a thrill to hear about it! I gotta say, my favorite part was when you were talking about the standing ovation that Jo received. That must have been an incredible moment, and I admit I got a little teary eyed hearing about it. I wish I could have been there. Thanks so much for your report.

And also, I agree with you 100% about the homosexuality comments. It all comes back to tolerance of others, which is such an important part of the series. I found the announcement shocking in that I just didn’t really see it coming, but I am completely accepting of it. Dumbledore is gay, but that’s just one part of him. He was also an incredible wizard and truly compassionate and wise man.

Oh, and I loved hearing that Jessica was so awesome. You’ve gotta make a Jessica segment in future PotterCasts!

Avatar Image says:

I have been a huge fan since the first book came out. I have read the books to my children, encouraged others to read them and have defended them endlessly…but now I am so saddened. I simply did not need to know that he was gay. Why was that so important for her to tell us? I am so tired of being told to “judge not lest you are judged.” That is so incredibly lame! By saying you should not judge others than you have given up the ability to discern between Mother Theresa and Hitler (thou shall NOT judge who is evil) We use our judgement on everything. You judge me because I believe that homosexuality is wrong. Why is that ok? I listened to Pottercast tonight and for the first time ever I was sad and hurt. You mock those of us who don’t agree with you and you have lost my respect.

Avatar Image says:

sadmom,i’m hurt 2. i feel like like my beliefs have been invalidated 2nite. this is a fandom ive always loved and felt close to and now i feel like ive been pushed ouuta the group :(

Avatar Image says:

I was a bit confused when you went on about the stamp collecting thing. Hahaha. Nice going guys. Frankly, after I got over my initial surprise at Jo’s revelation about Dumbledore, I figured it really doesn’t matter. I don’t see it affecting Harry or his quest. Makes me admire Dumbledore more. Though reading the part of DH regarding Dumbledore’s life, it did cross my mind. :D

Avatar Image says:

Sad mom, she told the fans because someone asked if he ever loved anyone. She was honest about it. She could have sad, yes he loved someone, and moved on, but the fans would have harrassed her until she told them who. To her, it probably wasn’t very important, and that is why she never mentioned it in the series.

As for judging people, you’re right, people judge other people all of the time. The difference is certain beliefs and “judgements” negatively affect law biding citizens when it becomes part of national policy (like Apartheid). Intolerance and religious beliefs have infringed on the rights of Gays and Lesbians in many countries, especially the United States. You can legally be fired from your job if you are Gay in 38 out of 50 states. How is that right? Homosexuality doesn’t destroy communities like murder, rape, and child molestation does. That is why people judge you, because we can’t understand why you hate something that doesn’t negativelly affect lives. We can’t understand why people would use their religious beliefs to promote hate.

Avatar Image says:

For the first time ever the HP fandom has been severed/torn apart and to me this is very sad.

Avatar Image says:

What a shamefull way to attract attention to her books, by eluding to Dumbledor being gay. Let the fame of writting one of the most famous childrens books be enough for this author. I have read the books multiple times and am a fan. I hope this is a misprint. It is quite unnecessary to taint a splendid book with sexual overtones.

Avatar Image says:

“It is quite unnecessary to taint a splendid book with sexual overtones.”

Ummmm….the fact that the last two books are absolutely saturated in heterosexual ships is somehow not sexual? Nothing about Dumbledore’s sexuality really has to do with sexual attraction, if you look it at. Yes, he loved Gridenwald but he didn’t go for anyone afterwards. I’d say if you actually look it at, his sexuality explains his secretiveness, his desire to promote the power of love, etc. It’s all very non-sexual, so I simply don’t buy that argument that the book is somehow tainted because of it. Heterosexuality is not a problem for you lynn, but homosexuality is.

I hate this terrible double standard that so many people have about homosexuality. In response to those who say gay people, like myself, don’t have the right to judge people who are opposed to homosexuality, I’d say you’re just using your position of privilege as heterosexual. We’re not judging you at all. The fact of the matter is that here in the United States and nearly every other country in the world, homosexuality is viewed negatively. And those who are homosexuals are denied right because people who aren’t supposedly homophobic, yet just have a problem with homosexuality, are promoting and supporting laws that limit rights at a state constitutional level. Obviously you, a sad mom, are not going to understand the struggles gay individuals have to face because of people like you who associate homosexuality with sin and being wrong. It’s simply not fair. I’ve battled my whole life to gain acceptance and rights just the same as everyone else. I’ve been on the brink of suicide and despair because I felt so isolated and shameful, and you’re the one to tell me not to think negatively of you, of me not to judge you? Come on!

The whole message of this, I think, is that Jo always imagined Dumbledore as gay and saw the fact that no matter what sexual orientation you are, love is something that is universal and can be appreciated by anyone. This goes beyond tolerance, but rather is fundamentally acceptance. And I’ve got to applaud Jo for making this known. I only wish it would have been sooner because I think there is a lot of new analysis of Dumbledore’s character and motivations that can be done now.

Avatar Image says:

PotterCast specificly said that it wuz fine if u don’t believe homosexuality is ok. They wer mocking those who were mean. and yeah that’s fine by me. don’t be mean on either side. it’s like exaggeration to make a point. people are v sensitive aboutthis, but don’t take it too far.

Avatar Image says:

Talk about people over-reacting…sheesh. This reminds me of all the fervor a few months ago once a large group of people had finished the 7th book and either loved it or hated it. The passion on both sides is amazing and, at times, a little frightening.

One nugget of knowledge about a character. One piece of info that was virtually needless to know in order to understand the story. One tiny fact that NO ONE guessed at before we were told. Face it, people, no one had a clue. To discredit Dumbledore, JK Rowling, and the series in general because of that…in my opinion, you kinda missed or didn’t really grasp one of the major points of the series: tolerance of others whose views/beliefs are different than others. That goes both ways..to those who are saying “Dumbledore is gay” (YAY!) or “Dumbledore is gay” (NO!).

In a few months, this will all blow over and it’ll be a stupid little comment that little kids will tease each other with on the playground. Or media sources, looking to draw attention, will drop into news reports as a throw-away attention getter. Most of us will roll our eyes, silently wish for a bit more maturity in those around us at times, and realize that Dumbledore was still a great character (CHARACTER), the books are still awesome, and JK Rowling can cause us to stretch our minds and challenge our attitudes and beliefs far more than we ever thought a “children’s author” ever could.

Avatar Image says:

A great Podcast! Well done TLC! I thought the stamp collecting analogy was brilliantly done, but I am glad you guys dealt it deeper. Good on you guys – especially the person that cleared up the issue of being gay vs. being an abuser (not sure which of you guys was it!).

Avatar Image says:

I demand a transcript. ASAP.

Avatar Image says:

Dumbledore’s homosexuality is a non-issue for me. The very fact that almost everyone was so flabbergasted just shows how heterosexist we all are – we just assumed that he was heterosexual, and I think THAT’s the greatest issue. I’m so happy she gave us that bit of information, though, at least now the fandom is rid off narrow-minded people ( I’m referring to those who said that they were never going to read the books again because we now know that about Dumbledore ). I really liked this Podcast, you handled the matter quite well. Sue, I give you a hug, you made me cry when talking about single parenting :) I don’t like the word ” tolerance ” by the way, because there’s somebody who’s tolerant and somebody who’s tolerated, but I get the idea. You deserved to meet her :)

Avatar Image says:

Can anyone else picture Dumbledore singing “I feel pretty, oh so pretty, so pretty and witty and Gay” as well as I can?

This is where I believe Jo's brilliance lays. Through out the books there were twists and turns we never saw coming, yet now they make perfect sense and we can't imagine how we didn't see it before. Harry is a Horcrux anyone?

Helena

Avatar Image says:

Can anyone else picture Dumbledore singing the potterpuppet pals song “With out the spell of love the world would fall apart – you don’t need a wand with magic in your heart – all your other organs are useless in comparison to love” as well as I can?

This is where I believe Jo’s brilliance lays. Through out the books there were twists and turns we never saw coming, yet now they make perfect sense and we can’t imagine how we didn’t see it before.

Harry is a Horcrux anyone?

Helena

Avatar Image says:

Just wanted to say well done and thanks for your coverage of Dumble-gate… made a change from reading all those hateful comments in the feedback. I’m gay and I was so shocked as I thought people were more tolerant these days… well they seem to be here in the UK…! Who can believe Dumbledore collects stamps, that’s so disgusting. I’m going to burn all my books and never, ever watch the movies again.

Avatar Image says:

hey, by now shouldnt we be on 821st post? At least I can read all of the comments on this board. Cant wait to listen to my favourite show. What a year for Harry Potter! First the build up anticipation for book and movie, the release of movie, the security around the book, the book cover, The release, the fan reaction. Then strangely all quiet for a couple of months then BOOM – JK flies from Scotland on her rocket propolled Nimbus 2007 and drops the biggest revelations as thick and fiery as the Sun’s core. Brilliant.

Avatar Image says:

I appreciate sad mom’s thoughts and approach. However, it should be noted that none of this is based on reality and for those who are applauding this ‘so called’ outing…my question would be to Ms. Rowling,..”Why bring about this information at this time?”

I surmise that had she made this known from day 1, it would never have been put in the movies and it would surely have caused many parents to 2nd guess there choice to present this to their children.

This has almost become scripture for some with Madame Rowling delivering the 7 commandments. Since she is in the good graces of the H.P. deity, it allows her the ability to pronounce any sentence or judgement to any character post finality.

One can only imagine what the final two movies may take liberty with now that this has been put on the table.

Avatar Image says:

“my question would be to Ms. Rowling,..”Why bring about this information at this time?”” Posted by firstdance~ on October 22, 2007 @ 05:58 AM

The answer to that is VERY simple, firstdance, as you would know if you’d read the entire transcript, or read the comments of those who were actually there.

Jo revealed it because SOMEBODY ASKED!!!

MY question would be, if people are NOT displaying intolerance to this ONE piece of info, why do they keep whinging about it?

Avatar Image says:

Pottercast rocks my socks, and just so you know I’m now completely convinced. I will pre-order Jingle Spells as soon as I can, like now. I never thought the day would come when I liked wizard-rock so much. thanks!

Avatar Image says:

Why make an issue of Dumbledore’s sexuality? I fail to understand why this is important.

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t read all the comments but I take it someone somewhere who touted theirself as a Christian was disappointed about JK’s revelation. I have only this to say…there is a huge difference between being tolerant and treating homosexuals with love and understanding and embracing their sexual choices…and make no mistake, they are choices. Please note, Dumbledore isn’t presented as a practicing homosexual. Many, many homosexuals accept their non-traditional sexuality and live very happily but never PRACTICE their homosexuality. From a truly Christian perspective we hate the sin, not the sinner. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual but practicing homosexuality is fornication…period. Dumbledore is a elicits trust, he is kind, wise, intelligent, inspiring; there’s no need to discuss his sex life, he’s a character. Were he a real human in the same role, I expect that his sex life would never come-up anymore than Minerva’s or anyone else. We never discuss how the Dersley’s have sex. Why discuss how anyone has sex or their sexual preferences? That’s private and should remain private…not a topic for public discussion for anyone.

Avatar Image says:

OMG can’t wait to listern!!!! :)

Avatar Image says:

Jo revealed it because SOMEBODY ASKED!!!

You state the obvious..my thought was about the larger picture. Because I ask a question I am intolerant in your view. If questions are deemed intolerant then perhaps the original one to Ms. Rowling, which began this, was just as intolerant. The incident has been well reported on many fronts so no need to suggest I haven’t read the story.

I don’t recall stating a particular view that would give way to speculation of my take. I surmised the action and offered a query as to intent and to the future contents of the remaining potter films.

As I stated before…Ms Rowling has it in her power to offer any premise, post writing, that she desires to. In doing so she can champion any cause, group, or political-religious views. I intend to allow it to remain in the world of fiction where it belongs and not wear as a cloak.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations you guys on getting to meet Jo =) And Sue you made me cry haha.

You all really deserve it ♥

Avatar Image says:

Susan, please tell me how you KNOW that homosexuality is a CHOICE? By that spurious definition, everyone is multi-sexual and then makes a ‘choice’ whether to be gay, straight or bisexual. [eye roll].

Someone being homosexual is no more a choice than being heterosexual or bisexual. It is what people ARE. Why should they have to hide it because of the intolerance of others?

If Jo had written her books and her impending encyclopaedia so as not to offend Christians and some other relgions, she may as well have left witchcraft and magic out of it too, since the hypocrisy of their argument is that THOSE THINGS are supposedly just as sinful.

If you’d read the transcript you’d see that Jo answered someone’s question, and THAT is why she mentioned it. You seem to only object to this particular back-story (as opposed to everyone all the other details) because of the word ‘gay’.

Avatar Image says:

I truly do love listening to you guys. Whatever some of the comments here have said, I think you handled it well by lightening it slightly and not playing into the drama so much.

Anyway, I was thrilled to hear you all got to meet Jo, and it was so great to hear how happy you were about it! (Happy is probably an understatment, isn’t it?)

Avatar Image says:

*I should probably correct myself before I get corrected. It wasn’t just a drama, it was a complex issue but I’m still glad you didn’t play into it so much.

Avatar Image says:

@ firstdance, first of all I don’t recall calling you intolerant.

Secondly, why is it only the fact that Jo reveals, upon questioning, that she thinks of Dumbledore as gay, is it suddenly TOO MUCH information? Why wasn’t it too much to find out all the other post-book details?

What the heck are people still doing on websites like this if they don’t want any more information about the books? If we don’t like book or film spoilers of any kind, it might be a good idea to avoid Harry Potter websites, rather than coming here and then whinging about it when a detail is revealed that some people find unpalatable.

Why does it have to be considered PC for Jo to acknowledge that there are Black people, Asian people, ginger people, bespectacled people, and gay people in her magical world? (I still remember the reaction of some ‘fans’ to finding out that Harry’s first crush was of Chinese descent, that the Patil twins were of Indian descent, and that Fred Weasley asked Angelina Johnson to the Yule Ball – same kind of reaction to the Dumbledore news).

I’m wondering if the people complaining about this would have prefered it if the books had been White only, hetereosexual only, featuring a load of Kens and Barbies. THAT WAY, the message of tolerance wouldn’t even have been needed and she could have written the books with an entirely different message.

Avatar Image says:

I thought you guys handled the “Dumbledore is a stamp collector” news beautifully on PotterCast!

I was honestly SHOCKED at some of the comments I read over the weekend. By Sunday morning, my assumption that all JKR fans are broad-minded and tolerant had been shattered. I realize now that I was very naïve.

I wonder how many of the comments were actually posted by bigots who have never read HP and only came to Leaky to spew their hatred. Whatever their motivation, it was VERY DISAPPOINTING to see.

I loved hearing about your meeting with JKR at Carnegie Hall. She is not only an AWESOME writer, but a WONDERFUL person too!

THANK YOU JKR for these AMAZING books!!!!! I LOVE YOU MADLY!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Susan, this is a democracy and we have the right as people to be able to discuss whatever we want. Keeping things private just breeds fear and ignorance. I’m quite ashamed of all the people who actually think that Dumbledore is any different now that it’s revealed he is gay. Doesn’t that say something? So if you didn’t know he was gay then he’s great but now that he is gay he’s suddenly not so great. I I mean you can have your own opinions but i think it’s a bit silly to think different of someone just because they are gay when previously you would not have had a problem with him. And for person that said that if we had know from day one than parents could discern whether or not they’ll give it to their kids, it’s called REALITY. The world has gay people and i think it’s silly to even think to prevent your child from reading HP just because it has some representation of the real world.

Avatar Image says:

“did you know he doesn’t collect a certain KIND of stamp?” “that goes against every fiber of my being.”

HAHAHAHA. Oh, just wonderful how you handled that. I’m so effing happy that y’all were able to meet Jo Rowling. Hilarious that John was so freaked out he got sick! I honestly thought for a second that you weren’t going to talk about Grindeldore. Loved listening to this episode, I was a bundle of excitement the entire time!!!

Here here Zee.

Avatar Image says:

And I’m sick of people saying that being homosexual is a choice (Susan). Did you choose to be heterosexual? No! I think before people should parade around with this stupid statement they should meet some gay people and ask them because you have obviously never even spoken to one before. I have many gay friends and they are the most amazing people but not any more or any less than heterosexual people.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, you guys didnt dissapoint on your podcast – that was a brilliant show! your were all on prime form (as usual ;). How you guys kept up the stamp collection vibe going for so long without a giggle warrants you all a bafta award. You all deserved that meeting with Jo (obviously Jo thought so!) and what a great secret to keep from us until now because you know we would be roaring with envy ;) Will miss Melissa, but I do very much look forward to her book, expecially her account on the events of recent months and last weekend! John, Sue – you guys got your work cut out to fill her shoes but I know you will do fine.

With all the hatefull stuff that has been made on recent comment boards (by a very small sad minority) listening to your podcast fills my heart with so much warmth and happiness and a sense of relief to know that the largely significant majority in this world have compassion, love and understanding for everyone of different background, character, and nature. After all, thats what the HP books were about anyway and me think, how many books have been sold again?

By the way, I too deplore stamp collectors – how dare they contaminate our perfect lives with such filth. Hmmph ;)

Now back to reading the new books with new insights and dreaded stamp collection revelation.

Avatar Image says:

To all people who say: TMI!; Didn’t need to know that!; What’s the point??; WHY did she have to tell us that?; It is baseless and not in the books!

IT IS BECAUSE SHE WAS ASKED!!!

She didn’t do some press release just to announce this. She was in a reading where fans get to ask her questions, one of which is about Dumbledore’s love life.

(Also, a lot of things about characters’ past and future are not in the books. Thus, she shares the info when people ask her about it.)

Stamps! Ha!

I <3 you guys!

Avatar Image says:

Nice show guys…and you do deserver to met and greet with Jo! How awesome!!!

Anyway….what is this little part at the end that Melissa is leaving? Surely I didn’t hear that correctly.

Dumbledore can be what he is…we don’t have to agree and we don’t have to disagree…He is STILL the GREATEST headmaster Hogwarts has ever had!!!

Thank you LC for all the many years of service you have given me and everyone … for all your calming, comic, serious answers and explanations you have given us to help us along the way to see the real HP world. Kudos!

Avatar Image says:

Hey you guys! THANK YOU SO MUCH for showing tolerance! You have no idea what I had to suffer during the weekend, because in my country EVERYONE was freaking out about the news, and the amount of hate-comments was awful. So this episode kind of saved me. THANKS!!! <3

Avatar Image says:

“One tiny fact that NO ONE guessed at before we were told. Face it, people, no one had a clue.”

I’m sorry Julie, but you are wrong here. There were people who saw it at once, and I was among those. Yes, I never expected Jo to confirm it, but I saw it. There’s a whole community on livejournal called Grindeldore where this topic was discussed soon after the book releaze.

Hang on in there, Olga.

You know what the BEST thing is about the all this? It has OUTED the bigots who were part of Harry Potter fandom – all those that never got JK’s message about intolerance. They can now leave HP fandom for good, and allow the rest of us to continue debating the books and building up back-stories of all the characters.

Hmm, bet they’ll continue hanging around though.

Avatar Image says:

I think teh saddest thing out of al of this is that Jo ahs written a series about lvoe and tolerance and accepting other people for their differences and as soon as she says one little thing which is in no way explicit that means a character happens to be in a minority group (let’s face it we know most of the characters are heterosexual, they get married, have boyfriends/girlfriedns etc) as son as she says that half the peple go off about it and show extremely intolerant views.

It’s sad that what she set out to do wasn’t really achieved after all. The intolerance and bigotry has been astounding. I have certain religious beliefs also but I deplore the way in which a fictional character has been vindicated and how the author has been torn to shreds over answering a simple question.

You can’t deny it makes more sense out of the grindlewald obsession. To think Jo was doing it to be sensationalist or that it adds nothing is missing a whole raft of points and I think a lot of people need to go have a long ahrd think about what Jo was trying to say in the first place as it’s obvious it was missed.

Avatar Image says:

@Zee Heeeeey! That’s EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking this morning! It would be really cool, but I agree, it’s unlikely that they will all leave the fandom. In fact, it’s astonishing how many fans simply didn’t get the message of these books.

And to all those who keep saying that we are intolerant. I’m not buying it. So tomorrow someone will say, “I don’t like the people who belong to another race. I have a right to have this opinion and judge them because of who they are.” It’s THIRD millenium, for Merlin’s sake. Try opening your mind a little bit.

Avatar Image says:

I think that we are missing Jo’s message of tolerance if we are saying that we are intolerant of people who disagree with us, or even (in our eyes) insult us, Zee and Olga.

I am hugely Liberal, but I am able to look with an unbiased and unemotional eye on the comments to this post and see that a great deal of intolerance and unwillingness to understand one another is being shown here by both sides. This is very unfortunate.

Avatar Image says:

“I guess you guys, and the real fans (the ones who agree with every views jo holds, or the way she does things) and jo herself deserve eachother. The rest of us intolerate and dump people who are so stupid to believe in religion should just leave the party.”

Good riddance.

Avatar Image says:

Helmholtz – your reasoning makes no sense because what you’re saying is that we should be ‘tolerantr’ of bigotry. Imagine if people had taken that attitude 40-50 years ago.

It’s also rather disingenuous of you to take Jo Rowling’s message of tolerance in her books, and apply it the very types of people she herself clearly does not hold sway with.

Avatar Image says:

I thought this site could politely agree to disagree in a respectful manner. I see that people on both sides of this issue need to find respect. Respectful questions and respectful answers win most people over to understanding.

Avatar Image says:

@Hemholtz So, what you’re basically saying is that Harry and Ron (as an example) had to respect Draco Malfoy’s views on Mudbloods because he had a right to hate them for no good reason? Poor boy, he was obviously deeply misunderstood by his “intolerant” classmates. He had a right to humiliate Hermione because pure blood was what he believed in. That’s clearly NOT what JKR’s message is.

Avatar Image says:

Helmholtz- we need to respectful of other pov not bigotry- religious beliefs tht cAN BOTH STAND AGAIINST SOMTHNG BUT ALSO PROMOTE LOVE AND TOLERANCE,

Avatar Image says:

Olga-DRACOS BIGOTRY IS VERY DIFFFERENT THAN PEOPLES ON HERE PERSNAL RELIGIOUS BELIEFS

Cuckoo4tofu-IT SEEMS U URELF R VERY INTOLARANT

Avatar Image says:

It would be really cool if you explained in what way they are different. In my opinion it is the same thing, only in this case it is called with another word: “religion”. Doesn’t your religion teach you tolerance, by the way? Does it say “Hate another person because he’s not like you”? And it always helps to use proper spelling when you want to be taken seriously. ;)

Avatar Image says:

So how awesome was Jo, she’s the woman! Dumbledore I heart you! Pottercast I heart you!

Avatar Image says:

OLGA IT DOESNT TEACH HATE JUST THAT A LIFESTYLE IS WRONG. IT STLL TEACES US 2 LUV THOSE PEOPLE. U ARE OBVIOUSLY QUITE IGNORANT OF THESE BELIEFS

Avatar Image says:

“DRACOS BIGOTRY IS VERY DIFFFERENT THAN PEOPLES ON HERE PERSNAL RELIGIOUS BELIEF

Is it? I’ve already said it once on this thread, but gays and lesbians in the United States (and other nations) don’t have the same rights as straight people. I’m not talking about marriage here. As a gay man or woman, you can be fired in 38 out of 50 states for your sexuality, and you can’t sue. That is just one example. Like minded people who believe homosexuality is wrong vote for each other in public office. They then make decisions based on this “religious belief,” such as excluding sexual orientation on employment non-discrimination acts.

Yes this is much more than just a religious belief. It affects public policy and the lives of others.

Avatar Image says:

Tolerance means tolerance; just because you disagree with somebody does not mean that you should refuse to respect or tolerate their beliefs. That is the meaning of tolerance, not just tolerating people that you agree with. Everybody has a right to speak and be heard.

Avatar Image says:

OUR RELIGION DOESNT SAY FIRE GAYS. DO U BELIEVE A PERSON HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OWN RELIGIOUS BELIEFS CONCERNING HOMOSEXUALITY?

Avatar Image says: Well thank god(?) she didn’t say Dumbledore is a Christian. Because those people really are sinful in the eyes of the brain, science and reason. I would never, ever read these books again if she’d do a thing like that. Oh my. By the way, I’m only stating my beliefs so you need to be extra respectful towards me. Avatar Image says:

Speaking in general, now: I for one am proud that in the United States (and in many other countries), all people are given the legal right to free speech. This may mean that there is a KKK rally in the middle of my city; I disagree strongly with the beliefs held by members of the KKK, but I am proud of the fact that we are tolerant of their beliefs.

Debra and Zee, you both seem to be saying that we should not be tolerant of others’ right to hold and share an opinion, and that is why I say that I feel like both sides are being intolerant.

Avatar Image says:

Helmholtz-HOW DID I SEE INTOLARANT AT ALL, I RESPECT OTHER OPINIONS. THE ONLY THNG IM ARGUING AGAINST INVALIDTING OTHER OPINIONS- THE SAME AS U

Avatar Image says:

Yukito- ITS FUNNY U THNNK THAT ASKING SOMEONE TO RESPECT UR BELIEFS IS SOMETHING TO B MOCKED

Avatar Image says:

@Debra I’m very sorry, but you with all your SHOUTING IN CAPS don’t really make me respect your religion more. Maybe try and clam down, huh? The fact that you have your own religious beliefs doesn’t mean that you have a right to show disrespect towards gay people. They are not guilty of anything before you. It’s not like anyone’s telling you to follow their “lifestyle” as you call it. Just don’t show disrespect.

Avatar Image says:

OLGA-IM NOT SHOUTING MY COMPUTR IS BEING STUPID RIT NOW. THAT ALL. AND ID NEVER DISRESPECT GAYS. GOD LUVS THHEM AND SO DO I. UR WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING U SAY ABOUT ME

Avatar Image says:

To Melissa, John and Sue I am very proud to be a part of this community of fans. The way you handled it was increddibly clever and the analogy was genius. Keep up the good work, this is the reason why I still visit this site.

To all of the people who feel disrespected, let down, annoyed, neglected, and aggrivated get over it. The books are based on real life situations in a fantasy world. If there are Gay people in real life then why in the world would there not be Gay people in the wizarding world? The fact that she told us is very brave and honest! She knows what a touchy subject sexuality can be. She doesnt need the extra publicity, the extra sales, ect. A fan asked and she was honest about it. If she had said that he was in love with a woman than none of these comments would be written. If you are a true fan of the HP series then you should know that they are based on the major moral of not being prdjudice. Why shouldnt children know about gay people? Why do they have to know about sex when they are told? You can explain it the same way as you would explain a man and woman love each other. If you keep your children in the dark about homosexuality then of course your children will think it dirty and sexually manifested. Its up to us as parents to show and teach our children what is right and wrong. Our children dont have to know DD is gay unless you tell them! Its not even in the books ANYWHERE! Its not right to act like Laura Mallory and judge her for saying something you obviously turn your cheek to. its not right to teach your children to predjudice either.

I think this was the best information we could get. Now the true fans can stay connected and the fans that obviously dont see the series for what it truely is can be with eachother and descriminate eachother. This series brought us all together and people are hurting others and treating others like dirt because there are different types of people in the world. No one can control it and if your that blind not to see it than come back to reality and open your eyes to world. Times have changed and whether you like it or not you should at least treat it with class.

Avatar Image says:

’’Bottom line is that if this was about DD with a woman than we wouldnt be having these conversations. Its cruel and to act this way is no different than being a Deatheater.’‘WOW I HAD NO IDEA MY RELGIOUS BELIEFS MADE A DEATHEATER. THANKS 4 INFORMING ME

Avatar Image says:

I believe that people should be allowed to practice their religion, yes. But you have to understand that this religious belief has permeated the culture in a negative way. It goes beyond religion and affects public policy. There is a seperation between church and state in the USA. You are free to establish a religion, but you cannot force your beliefs on everyone else. Believing homosexuality is a sin causes discrimination in our country. That is why this is such a volatile topic. It so much more than a religious belief, like not eating beef during Lent. It changes people’s lives.

Avatar Image says:

It’s very convinient to put your religious beliefs in front of you. There are people whose religious beliefs tell them to kill other people, so do they have that right to kill? Maybe sometimes it’s better to THINK instead of crying “MY RELIGION SAYS SO PERIOD”.

Avatar Image says:

Debra – the point is that you being predjudice towards someone because they are different is exactly like a Deatheater! And it goes the same for anyone with a predjudice, racial, sexual, ect. God says to love those even living in sin so dont go there with me. Im not ignorant to religion, i was raised in it. But my family never disrespected someone for there differences and thats where your wrong. So yes I am informing you that I think your just the same as a Deatheater and you shouldnt read HP anymore because the whole point of the books is to show how bad bigotry can be.

Avatar Image says:

mollywobble-I THINK U KINDA CONTRIDICT URSELF. FRST U SAY WE HAV A RIT TO OUR BELIEF THEN EXPLAIN WHY WE REALLY DONT

Avatar Image says:

Anyone else you want to offend Debra?

Rosa P-HOW MANY TIMES MUST I SAY IT. I DONT CONDON DISRSPECTING N E 1

Avatar Image says:

Debra – we have a right to our belief only if this belief doesn’t influence other people’s lives. I guess that was the point. Ther was no contradicting.

Avatar Image says:

Helmholtz – no. I’m saying I will argue against those who argue FOR intolerance of gay people, and who make bigotted remarks toward gay people. That’s what I’m saying.

Are you still expecting me to say it’s ok to persecute someone because of their sexuality because it’s only a belief? Sorry, but I can’t.

No more than I could be ‘tolerant’ of KKK beliefs as you say you are, or those of any extreme group. The KKK are holocaust deniers, think non Whites are impure and inferior, and would seek to annihilate people who are not like them. If you want to maintain a ‘right’ to tolerate those types of beliefs then I can only say I’m glad I live in the UK. Some beliefs infringe on people’s human rights, namely the basic RIGHT TO LIFE – that right and the beliefs of groups like the KKK are mutually exclusive. Getting the balance right between free speech and human rights is the challenge any civilsation must face, and get right.

Posted by mollywobble on October 22, 2007 @ 12:50 PM

You are generalizing. Not everyone who believes being gay is morally wrong wants laws to pass to restrict their rights. Do you think all democrats who vote for democratic party believe the same thing. Their are some who believe that homosexuality to be wrong but care about big issues like healthcare, education, etc. You just assuming someone says they don’t believe in homosexuality, that means they want to treat them bad, and pass laws that restrict them, and not give rights. Not even all republicans believe that.

Avatar Image says:

I OBVOUSLY CANT MKE U UNDERSSTAND O WELL. I LOVE GAY PEOPLE BUT I ALSO BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE. I DONT THNK THAT MAKES ME LIKE DRACO BT I GUESS U DO. THAT HURTS MY FEELINGS BUT U DONT CARE.IM JUST AN UNENLIGHTENED RELIGIOUS FANATIC RIGHT?

Well said Lun…

I hate that we are sounding off on an issue that neither side will win.

You have to accept people as they are…

Avatar Image says:

I am listening to PotterCast 122 and I wanted to thank you for your comments about Dumbledore being Gay. Thank you for your tolerance. I knew there was a reason I enjoy your web site so much. I am proud to say I’m a big fan of your Web Site.

Thanks, Kathy

Avatar Image says:

I will like to say to nobody, something But I would also like to tell everyone, nothing

Avatar Image says:

And btw. Most people in the world believe homosexuality to be immoral. That is billions considering that there are over 6 billion in the world. I guess they all are bigots. That makes most people around you bigots too. I wonder how you tolerate them.

Anyways, I have to get back to my work.

Avatar Image says:

Why we all just get along??? lol… This is rediculous and the fact that we sitting here and arguing over something that doesnt change anything is ludicris! DD is gay! Whats the big deal? There are no hints of it in the books, there are gay people in the real world why not wizarding world, the info doesnt change the plot, it doesnt change the morals, ect. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? Both sides are acting childishly and should be ashamed of themselves. God says to love all even those who live in sin. So why are all the religious people (who read about witchcraft by the way) hating and judging? How do you know that DD didnt turn straight afterwards? Do you have an entire account of his life just by this one piece of information about when he was 18? Did JK say that he was sexually attracted to a man? Did she say sex at all??? NO! It has nothing to do with HP! Someone asked and she honestly answered.

If you dont like it then sweep it under the rug like most Christians do when they dont like what they hear.

Avatar Image says:

Lun – theres a difference from having your own oppinion and treating people like dung for being different. Thats the difference. For caring only about your beleifs and not about other peoples feelings.

Avatar Image says:

Lun, that is not what I am saying. I’m saying that the belief that homosexuality is a sin causes discrimination. It makes people hide who they are. People get beat up because of it. I know a man who was beaten and run over by car because he was Gay. Now I’m not saying that the people who did that were Christian. However, I am saying that this hatred started somewhere. It began in Religion, and not just the christian faith. It then became taboo in our culture. That is a FACT. I’m not saying Christians are bad. I just think some of their beliefs are.

Debra, perhaps I didn’t make myself clear. You can practice religion, but sometimes religious beliefs infringe on human rights. Look at some fundamentalist Muslim communities for example. Some of their beliefs infringe on the rights of woman. Sure they are allowed to practice their beliefs, but is it okay if that belief prevents woman from going to school or getting a job? Of course it isn’t.

Avatar Image says:

Rosa, I think we all care about each other…that’s why so many want to change the other. They want them to be “the right way”...yet we have both sides wanting the other side to be “the right way”

There has many comments that people should have thought twice from typing today. Unfortunately

One moment…we’re HP fans…next moment, we’re trying to kick the other houses out. That’s not right.

Avatar Image says:

“How do you know that DD didnt turn straight afterwards? Do you have an entire account of his life just by this one piece of information about when he was 18? Did JK say that he was sexually attracted to a man?” JKR said “I always thought of Dumbledore as gay.” So no, he obviously was gay not straight. What people here don’t seem to understand that it’s not a CRIME. And maybe I’m acting childish but I believe that love conquers all and that every person has a right to love.

Lun – billions of people used to believe that “black” people were not as good as “white” people. Billions of people still believe that Jews are worse than other nations. So yeah, they were (and are) all bigots, and just because there were so many of them didn’t mean they were RIGHT.

Avatar Image says:

Lol, lun you cracked me up with that “most people in the world…” comment, as if you, or anyone else for that matter, has canvassed the opinion of most people in the world.

It really isn’t that difficult to live ansd l;et live. Allowing gay people to be who they are without persecuting them isn’t rocket science.

If your beliefs tell you that homosexuality is wrong then so be it, but that doesn’t mean you have the right to discriminate or persecute, or dictate to JK Rowling what she can and can’t say about her own characters.

Avatar Image says:

Tracy thats the difference. Im not trying to change anyones oppinion. People are going to think how they want. What im trying to say is dont throw away your love for the books, dont disrespect Jo for her choice in her OWN characters, dont hurt others feelings because they are different from you and your beliefs. There is no reason to say you love the books and their message and then act like a Deatheater when something like this happens.

Avatar Image says:

and Rosa, I agree with you.

But when others say “good riddances” to those that just have an opinion. (whether they said it too loud or not)

Feelings get hurt.

I worry for both sides of this conversation…because this can start the hatred for someone too…not just in a religious building.

These are just my opinions thinking if I talk calmly that that will help others be calm.

I just wanted to know in the beginning what everyone thought about Melissa leaving.

Hey Leaky,

I, for one, am SICK TO DEATH of the bigots and ignoramuses who fill this board with their hatred and sanctimoniousness.

Can you please put a STOP to this?????

Avatar Image says:

I’m okay with Melissa leaving because I know she is going to write her book. I can’t wait to read it. I hope Steve is on more shows though, I miss cannon conclusions/conundrums.

Avatar Image says:

“Lun, that is not what I am saying. I’m saying that the belief that homosexuality is a sin causes discrimination”

That doesn’t make since. What you are talking about is extremist people. Extremist people and not just religous extremist do that kind of thing. just becasue few people go out and do violent things doesn’t mean we need to abondan our believes.

If your beliefs tell you that homosexuality is wrong then so be it, but that doesn’t mean you have the right to discriminate or persecute, or dictate to JK Rowling what she can and can’t say about her own characters Zee, who said we have the right to discriminate gays or persecute them. Since when saying homosexuality is immoral equals, kill the gays or beat the gays.

big·ot /ˈbɪgÉ™t/ Pronunciation Key – Show Spelled Pronunciation[big-uht] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation –noun a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

So people here who are calling us deatheaters and so on becasue of our different opinion then yours are bigot themselves.

Avatar Image says:

lun – no they are reacting to your bigotry. If you didn’t insult people, we wouldn’t care what you believed.

Avatar Image says:

I’m happy for Melissa but I’m one of those that hate change.

I love the triplets, Melissa, John and Sue and it’s just sad. You know another nails that reiterates that HP is over for the movies.

Maybe I’m still in denial…...

LOL : )

Avatar Image says:

I’m happy for Melissa but I’m one of those that hate change.

I love the triplets, Melissa, John and Sue and it’s just sad. You know another nails that reiterates that HP is over except for the movies.

Maybe I’m still in denial…...

LOL : )

Avatar Image says:

anyway according to merrium webster dictionary this is the proper definition of a bigot:

bigot - a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

look it up yourself

Avatar Image says:

Because not everyone who holds those beliefs will keep them to themselves. There will be people, like you possible, who wouldn’t seek to treat people negatively based on their sexuality, but there will be plenty of others who will.

And you still don’t get to dictate what an author can and can’t write about, or how they can think of their own characters based on your own beliefs.

Avatar Image says:

Vocalizing your disgust of a group of people is hateful. Words hurt and often times a lot more then physical blows. So just because you don’t want to kill gays, doesn’t mean your behavior doesn’t hurt them.

Avatar Image says:

tracy – I totally agree, I love the trio together too. They have such great chemistry which makes the show so good. It’s sad that eventually this will all end. I wont believe it until it happens!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t freakin’ believe they got to meet JKR!! That’s so unfair. But they all totally deserved because they didn’t post any spoilers and they’ve always respected JKR alot. I’m too lazy to read all of those comments about Dumbledore, but if people are actually being biased and hateful then that just makes me sick. This revelation that Dumbledore is homosexual doesn’t change who he is at ALL! and it pisses me off that people are actually reacting to it that way. I think finding this out just makes Dumbledore’s character even more intriguing and more complex. It opens up a whole new level of respect for his character. At least I think it does. It also makes me feel sorry for him because he had to live this secret life and keep all of this stuff to himself. I mean he understood Harry so much more than Harry ever knew and he never even told him. I mean all this time he was talking about the importance of Love and Harry was all like, “yeah, whatever.” And that had to sting Dumbledore a lot, but he didn’t even show it. I mean I thought he didn’t kill Grindelwald because he wasn’t a murderer, but it was probably because he couldn’t bring himself to do it, because he still loved him. Dumbledore’s story is such a tragic one. It just makes me want to cry.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so jealous that they got the meet JKR too! But they deserve it. It sounded like an amazing event. I want to hear about more the things she talked about. And Sue, you made me tear up when I listened to pottercast, but in a kind of good way. I’m glad you had that great experience.

Avatar Image says:

“Since when saying homosexuality is immoral equals, kill the gays or beat the gays.” Yeah, but it’s not treating them as equals either, is it? Oh do you think that since they are not killed or beaten up, they should be happy only because heterosexual people kindly allowed them to exist?

Avatar Image says:

OH MY…Could you even imagine…Jo standing/sitting there talking to you one on one or 4 on 1 or something like that…...oh my gosh and her daughter being a big fan of your work!!!! Oh how cool!

Yes, this has been a wonderful ride and I will miss it so much when it’s over with…

love each other and be tolerant…everyone!

Avatar Image says:

To those who are disappointed with the news that Dumbledore is gay:

This really changes nothing. It’s inaccurate to say that this news injects unneeded sexuality into the series. If Dumbledore’s sexuality had been a major factor in the series, you would’ve already picked up on it. It’s not like you’re going to go back to the books and suddenly find a bunch of sex scenes that weren’t there before. All this does is inform us a bit more about Dumbledore’s relationship to Grindelwald. It gives more depth to that particular conflict. It changes nothing about Dumbledore’s relationship with Harry, and that’s probably the most important relationship in the entire series.

I respect your right to believe in whatever you believe and feel whatever you feel. But at some point you have to accept the reality that gay people exist and have a right to exist, and they are just as capable of being good people as anyone else. Rowling put an incredible amount of thought into the writing of this series, and I believe that she knew Dumbledore was gay all along. She is not only tolerant of homosexuality—she ACCEPTS homosexuality, and she chose to create a character who is both an internationally respected hero and a homosexual. If this truly bothers you, then I personally think you need to spend more time around gay people, get to know them as individuals apart from their sexuality, and realize that who they love is only one aspect of who they are as a human being.

Sincerely, Matt (The Whomping Willows)

Nicely said!

Bravo!

Matt, you are awesome!

Avatar Image says:

amazing comment matt!!! We scrape around for every minor detail about this amazing world JKR has gifted the world with, now we have to “accept” all it. Tolerance and acceptance? Where have we been reading about those concepts?

Avatar Image says:

Thank you for expressing your opinions of the ‘issue’ and being kind in your responses. Everyone is working through this information in their own ways and often intitial reactions (sans the cruel comments) are things to be worked through, discussed and talked about kindly and charitably. I know I have benefitted from all the conversations about this. Please stay kind, and peace to all!

Avatar Image says:

“That doesn’t make since. What you are talking about is extremist people. Extremist people and not just religous extremist do that kind of thing. just becasue few people go out and do violent things doesn’t mean we need to abondan our believes…Since when saying homosexuality is immoral equals, kill the gays or beat the gays” – Lun

Lun, you missed my point again. Yes there are crazy, sick people who hurt other people violently. There is that kind of discrimination. But there are other forms of discrimination, such as voting against including sexual orientation in the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. That kind of discrimination comes from a lack of caring and ignorance. I’m sure that these politicians aren’t evil extremists, but they hold view points that are discriminatory. This view point comes from somewhere, and normally it’s because they believe homosexuality to be immoral.

My whole point with every single post today is to remind people that this is more than just a religious belief. This Belief can sometimes hinder human rights. Not everyone who believes this wants gays and lesbians rights to be hindered. Certainly very few Christians want to see anyone harmed physically or emotionally. People, like myself, just want to point out that in some cases you have to stand up when a certain religious belief (or any belief for that matter) is dangerous.

As for abandoning your own beliefs, Lun, I hope you would never abandon your faith, but I do hope you ask questions about it.

I’m trying to get people to understand that Pottercast isn’t “mocking” you, they are mocking a belief (religious or not) that is discriminatory. That’s it.

Anyway, I want to appologize to Leaky for leading this comments page so far off-topic. It went from supporting Pottercast to where it is now. I’m just very passionate about this topic, obviously.

Avatar Image says:

Yes! Another Pottercast! You have no clue how amazing this is and how awesome the timing.

Brilliant Pottercast! :-)

Avatar Image says:

If I hear that tripe about “hating the sin, but loving the sinner” once more, I will PUKE!!!! The people who say that are INCAPABLE of loving the “sinner”.

DEBRA is one of those holier-than-thou people whose religious beliefs are governed by STUPEFYING IGNORANCE. I know the type well. I have several relatives just like her.

Their “beliefs” do not allow them to think critically ON ANY LEVEL ABOUT ANYTHING.

Olga and others, I commend you for trying to enlighten DEBRA, but you’ll never succeed. People, like her, are incapable of thinking outside their religious box.

Sorry if I have been too “direct”, but this nonsense about Dumbledore’s sexuality has gotten to me!

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t know you guys got to meet with Jo during the tour! That is so great! And I too loved the stamp-collecting thing. Well played. I was at work when I listened, so I had to suppress the giggle fits. It wasn’t easy. :D

Avatar Image says:

Great PotterCast! Congratulations to all of you for getting a chance to spend more quality time with Jo. And to you Whompy for getting to live vicariously through our PotterCastketeers

Does this revelation make me appreciate Dumbledore, the wonderful, fatherly, supportive and nurturing character that he is, any more than I already did? No… It does not. Do I feel that this now creates a detraction of his character? A blemish on how he will forever be perceived in my eyes? NO, AB-SO-LUTELY NOT! Do I now have that much more respect for Jo? Yes without question. Jo has done nothing but give and give to her screaming fans. It is we who beg for as much information as possible about her creation. It is widely accepted and pretty much a given that she has so much background on every fictional creation in her wizarding world that it could and hopefully will someday fill an entire encyclopedia. It amazes me, and frankly it shouldn’t anymore, that she has spent so much of the last 17 years putting so much breath and life into her creations, that she can tell of every fiber of each character, each brick and stone of every building, and where every road leads to whether it ever appeared in her books or not. I applaud her for adding so very much to this tapestry. This reveal only shows how much she truly and completely loves her Potter universe. Unfortunately this battle will rage on no doubt. If I were to throw my two cents worth in I would say that yes I have my own opinions on homosexuality, but considered right or considered wrong, a natural occurrence or a medical disorder, or whatever the blazes you want to say about it. The bottom line is that we are all human beings and we need to take care of each other, and be that ‘T’ word, Tolerant toward everyone. Yes, and accepting too, which may be harder for some of us more than others. Myself included I must admit. But I am truly working on it. We all have taken so much joy in reading this series. A series that has been included on banned books lists and have been censored frequently over the years. Are some really going to say that they cannot accept that this is now a part of cannon? That this is now an element of who the beloved fictional character of Dumbledore truly is. Are we really saying that some are going to choose to apply Censorship to Jo’s Harry Potter? The mind reels…

Avatar Image says:

I’m just kind of baffled that fans of the Harry Potter series, which has a central theme of bigotry and the harm it can do, could react in such a bigoted way. I’m shocked at some of the things I’ve read on this issue. Thank goodness it seems that these people are the minority of the fan community. I’m acutely disgusted by some of the comments I’ve read. Are some people too blind to see the parallels between the hatred for muggle-born wizards in the books and for different races/sexualities/religions/etc in our real world? The word “mudblood” and some words I’ve seen people use against Dumbledore? I’m sure thousands of other fans have reacted the same way I have, I’m not claiming to be saying anything new and revolutionary. I’m just displaying my complete shock at a certain portion of our HP community.

Dear Podcasters,

Okay. I’m an elderly Harry Potter fan (56). I finally decided to listen to the Podcast because obviously there was more canon to find out NOT to hear what you had to say about Albus Dumbledore. I TRIED to download to my son’s new iPod (HE doesn’t seem to have any trouble) but couldn’t quite manage it, so I listened to it on the computer. Wow. Was I impressed. I hope you DO send JKR the whole series..I’m not only going to buy the CD but listen to all the other podcasts (but will download them so I can do it by exercising. Will have to wait until my son shows me how). I was so totally impressed by all of you. I had been disheartened by the ignorance and bigotry on this list. I do think future posts confusing sexual orientation with child rape should be deleted – it is hate speech. Being a child sexual abuser means you don’t really have an adult orientation. It’s about power and control (right on, Podcasters!) Also, about 90% of child sexual abusers are men, and they mostly target girls (but there is much more publicity when men target boys). No one seems to want to hear about that. You were so clear, compassionate, and amazing. AND you were HILARIOUS….the stamp collection thing was incredible! You folks should – I don’t know – be on television. To those who keep saying “it’s in their religion to think ‘homosexuality’ is bad”, I refer you to history. For decades, maybe even centuries, here in the United States, the Bible was used to justify racism and slavery. Google it. Find out. Anyway, loved the stuff about Helga Hufflepuff….. I LOVE Neville and how his character developed…only a true Gryffindor could pull THAT out of the hat. WHAT ELSE DID SHE SAY? I am so delighted for you group of amazing, wonderful people that you had the opportunity to meet her AND Jessica. What an amazingly kind, incredible woman she is. I have been even more upset at the attacks on her from ADULTS who are furious that she didn’t do what they wanted her to do in the books. By the way, why is everyone so fixated on Laura Mallory? She lost. She also lost by never ever experiencing the incredible magic of the Harry Potter books. Forget about the right wing nutcakes. Their day is fading. Be like JKR who is proud to be on the banned book list with Huck Finn and King and King! So, you folks are fabulous! Thank you! Susan

Scott,

You say “Why discuss how anyone has sex or their sexual preferences? That’s private and should remain private…not a topic for public discussion for anyone.”

Great. No snogging in the books. No discussion of who has a crush on whom. No cute story from Mollywobbles about how she and Arthur were out late on the grounds one night and were caught by the caretaker. No Percy and Penelope holding hands, and NO Teddy snogging Victoire.

Or, are you REALLY saying that there should be no discussion of the specifics of what we do in bed with another consenting adult? Okay, I’m old and stodgy, I’ll go with that…

I think you’re really saying that heterosexuals should do whatever they want, but that lesbians and gays should be quiet and never hold hands or make references to their girlfriends, or partners, or crushes…right?

Susan

Avatar Image says:

This episode made me feel very happy. Wonderful job, everybody.

All we are saying…. ....is give Peeves a chance

Avatar Image says:

This podcast was a lesson in how to NOT broadcast; full of gigling, in jokes that their listeners had no idea of, condesending, patronising and factually misleading when they sad only a small percentage of their readership have been alienated by JK Rowlings outing of Dumbledore. This podcast was 12% content -88% cross-talk and giggles. It was unintelligible -a total mess. The stamp collecting analogy was totally simplistic and speaking as a parent, I can assure you, I would not want my young boy taught by a Dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

Excellent podcast. Now to the overly religious people I am going to make a few comments and please forgive me for taking up the forum space. 1. Do you follow all of the bible? Their is a lot of stuff in there about not eating shell fish and cutting your hair in the same book that you say denounces homosexuality. 2. Do you just believe what everyone tells you or have you actually researched what the bible says? I would like to point out you are reading a book written by man that has been translated several times. The original Hebrew does not mention homosexuality in any way or even in a negative light nor does it in the Greek (for the nt). Also before i hear about Sodom that was destroyed due to inhospitality. 3. Do you follow God or your bible? God is the word not the bible you should be praying and speaking to him not taking faith in books that have the prejudice of man throughout them.

I’m gay I didn’t choose to be and struggled with it for many years. God taught me it was ok and I am no happy to be gay and have meet a wonderful guy.

Avatar Image says:

Pottercast, pottercast All hail to dumbledore bang blast bang blast the antigays are on the floor

“really gives a sense of scope and tragedy for the thing, doesnt it”

Avatar Image says:

Well, then what are you doing here, M Jones? It was an awesome episode, and every joke was great and to the point, and it made me feel better about the whole thing. If you are that narrow-minded that you wouldn’t want Dumbledore to teach your boy, then I feel really, really sorry for you because he was an amazing teacher. Our society is rotten indeed if even adult people act like this.

Avatar Image says:

“All we are saying…. ....is give Peeves a chance”

Professor Potter, I’ve spent way too much time reading the comments on this board today, but I’m glad I came back for more. Your comment made me LOL!

Avatar Image says:

I’m just so glad that this revelation works like a foe glass: it reveals all the homophobes and bigots and intolerant who exploded and throw insults at the author and the books, despite the books and the character Dumbledore NEVER change one bit. Funny how some people’s perception and intolerance get. I hope there’re many teenagers and younger readers who get to witness all these ugliness and learn a valuable lesson. All those angry former fan christian parents who’re now against the book, Shame on you. Shame on those who cannot see that their attitude being no difference from the Malfoys or even the subtle but equally repulsive discriminative like Slughorn.

I found the whole “Hate the sin love the sinner” mantra laughably weak and condescending, what a hypocrite religious teaching it is.

Bigotry:

Forget about the right wing nutcakes

Avatar Image says:

What baffles me is that NOT ONE of these supposedly concerned parents have BOTHERED to look at the research that says that their girls and boys are MOSTLY IN DANGER FROM MEN WHO ARE “HETEROSEXUAL?” I’m beginning to wonder (as a mother) whether you care about protecting your children at all because you are so closed to the truth.

I’m REALLY sorry for all the Christians who are sincere and wonderful and loving people who are being so MISrepresented by these folks. The person who said that JKR’s comment is like a foe glass, showing the real deal about bigotry..is totally right on. I was on one list where a woman said that when a friend came out to her she felt let down, and that they were diminished, but it wasn’t her fault, it was because she was brought up Catholic, and she wasn’t homophobic. Huh? You know, St. Paul said in the Bible that man is the head of woman just like Christ is the head of the Church…and people are STILL using THAT to say that men should make all the decisions in the household. Will any of you EVER respond to the questions about the Bible? (probably not) Hmmm…so if MY religion teaches me that all Christians are unnatural because they consume the body and blood of Christ, then it’s okay for me to think that way? Christians wouldn’t be offended by that? After all, it’s just my opinion, it’s my religion’s doctrine, it’s the way I was raised…

Well, look at all the little Death Eaters who are being exposed by THIS argument…..I keep thinking of that scene in Diagon Alley where the guy is hysterical, grabbing “Bellatrix/Hermione’s” robes and pleading “where are my children?” That’s what happens when bigotry rules…..when ideas that lesbian and gay parents should lose their kids because they’re all child molesters comes from..that’s why you laws banning lesbian or gay adoption….it’s because of these evil myths….EVIL!

Whoops, becoming incoherent with upset here!

Susan

Avatar Image says:

Oh good god, Dumbledore was a man who live 115 years. Chances are he probably had sex at least once and it may have been with a man! oh no!.(roll eyes) But does it matter? no! He wasn’t the Pope, but he wasn’t Casanova either. He was teacher, and father figure to Harry. That is what’s important.

Avatar Image says:

I think that JKR thinking Dumbledore gay is progressive and realistic. As a Harry Potter fan I have always admired how well she understood people, and life, and how multifaceted a person is. This revelation about Dumbledore is just a testament to her understanding and acceptance of human/wizard-kind. I applaud her. I did wonder why Dumbledore never married or why he seemed never to have any very close friends. But I thought that it was just because he was such a powerful wizard, always a champion for the underdog (even an activist) that during his life he may have made enemies, so in an effort to protect those that he loved he kept people at arms length. This would also tend to explain why he chose Fawkes, a phoenix that is extremely loyal and with an overall lifespan longer than a human’s, as a pet.

Avatar Image says:

In regards to why Molly was chosen to kill Bellatrix, I think that one of the reasons is that Molly may have taken the death of Sirius harder than some might think. The state of their relationship when he died was not so great; they disagreed on many things including Harry’s protection and his level of involvement with the Order. Molly being the mother figure in Harry’s life and Sirius the father, they both felt love for Harry and a responsibility for him. The circumstances as they were heightened the importance of the relationship between Molly and Sirius (and between Molly and Harry for that matter), as well as its fragility. So I think that Molly was chosen, in part, to avenge Sirius on Harry’s behalf.

Avatar Image says:

why isnt this on i tunes?

Avatar Image says:

Many people here are saying that we should tolerate people that have somthing against gays. But tollerance only gets so far as nobody gets hurt. We don’t tollerate rapists and murderers. People that say things against homosexuals and discriminate them (you can’t tell me that you don’t treat homosexuells in real life different than heterosexual people when I can even read in here so much hate), hurt them and that can’t be tollerated.

Avatar Image says:

Many people here are saying that we should tolerate people that have something against gays.

This totally reminds me of those few who complain and cried about how Slytherins were being ‘discriminate’ against because of their pure blood superiority beliefs.

Avatar Image says:

They are either with us or against us…...I am hearing this from both sides of this issue.

Avatar Image says:

I messed up the statement….If you are not with us you are against us…..nothing in between is allowed.

Avatar Image says:

I was one of the sweepstakes winners and I was at Carnegie Hall Friday night.

The reading by Jo was a masterpiece. It was obvious Jo was relaxed and enjoying her own story. She chose the part of the chapter The Silver Doe where Ron returns. The entire audience was drawn in to the reading which was really a performance of the love of her story. Jo got tickled and laughed at her own works and we laughed along with her. I will never forget the joy of hearing a beloved story read aloud by a superb writer.

When Jo was answering questions, it was obvious that she was being honest and respectful of her audience. ( I notice no one mentioned the question the 8 year old girl asked about Abberforth, the goats and the inappropriate charms!) Here answer about THAT question clearly showed that she was respectful of the young questioner and yet answered in a way that the adults understood the real answer.

When the question about Dumbledore came up, my impression was that she really didn’t care to answer at first but quickly decided to be honest. Since the entire series centered on tolerance, selfless love versus hatred and selfishness. To be quite frank, I believe Jo revealed throughout the books her Christian values. As a Christian, I am not at all worried about the Dumbledore revelation. Jo did not make Dumbledore a pedophile. She made him a person with a complex character.

As a high school teacher for over 35 years I have seen many teens struggle with homosexuality. Not one chose this sexual orientation. Several committed suicide, though not recently, thank God, due to the more tolerant attitudes today.

For those who think Jo did this to make more money, I beg to differ. If nothing else, she will earn less money. And at this point, with a reputed earnings of over a billion dollars (I just love it that a former school teacher has succeeded financially as well as become a teacher to millions of kids—thank you again, Jo.) a million more or less does not matter.

And thank you, Leaky Cauldron, for all you do.

Prof Zoe

Avatar Image says:

Cho married a muggle apparently and the sorting hat considered putting Neville in hufflepuff. I found both of those revelations to be interesting. Neville more than Cho. I can’t say I’m surprised, Neville didn’t start acting like a gryffindor until book 5.

Avatar Image says:

One thing I do want to add – you know the jury is really still out about whether being lesbian or gay is genetic, or biological or whatever. I do know ONE thing beyond a shadow of a doubt…you CANNOT choose with whom you fall in love…it’s beyond our control.

I just wish DD had fallen in love with someone other than GG.

Susan

Avatar Image says:

Matt and Prof Zoe, you’ve said it all. I completely agree with you both.

About this Pottercast, it was freaking amazing! (JKR gave you hugs?! You people are sooo lucky :))Loved it. I was trying so hard not to laugh when you revealed that Dumbledore collected stamps. My mum was quite mortified at my reaction; she thought I was suffering from a terrible stomach ache. Dumbledore collects stamps? Oh, the horror…

Avatar Image says:

why are there people seriously fighting here? =< Harry Potter brings love and joy… not alienation. actually, even the aliens and outcasts are LOVED in our magical world.

Avatar Image says:

Oh yes -you can post a comment so long as you agree with the liberal consensus that dominates this site.

Oh for real free speech !

Avatar Image says:

M Jones: You can post a comment so long as it doesn’t insult anyone, which is a violation to our TOU. Plenty of conservative comments haven’t been insulting, but strangely enough, most of the ones that have been insulting, have been. This site is not an open forum on whatever anyone wants: You can be on topic and respectful or go elsewhere. Thank you to all of you who have.

Avatar Image says:

She read the chapter where Ron come back! oh I am so jealous, yet happy that others got to hear it. Pottercast, I hope you guys talk more about her tour. It sounded like so much fun!

Avatar Image says:

I agree Melissa except for one comment-there have been some really nasty things said from the ‘liberal’ side too. It’s not just the ‘conservatives’-whatever the heck that means, anyways. (or ‘liberal’ for that matter)

Both sides are doing it. And I wish they would stop.

This ‘With us or with the bigots’-which was hinted at in the podcast even- is stiffling a lot of the dialogue.

(Overall however, I felt the comments on the podcast were charitable, just a little bit like you-know-who).

(Please—before anyone accuses me of being a Klan member for what I wrote—or a ‘left-wing nut’. . . Take your pick. I am not complaining about Dumbledore’s orientation. This is Jo’s story, nor am I being accussatory to the webcasters. Just wanted to make an observation.) And by golly, I love Hufflepuff too!

‘Plenty of conservative comments haven’t been insulting, but strangely enough, most of the ones that have been insulting, have been’

Avatar Image says:

Sorry about the format. Also wanted to let podcasters know the you-know-who was not meant to call you all Voldermort-like. I just wasn’t sure if we are supposed to mention specific political figures.

Avatar Image says:

Oh heck, maybe I shouldn’t have even done that. . . it’s so hard to come across on the net without sounding in a manner that one doesn’t intend.

And now I’m taking up too much space.

To those who may be offended I apologize, to those who weren’t I apologize too.

Write a Reply or Comment