Oct 23, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

At a press conference this morning in Toronto, author J.K. Rowling was asked repeatedly about the recent revelations regarding the background information on Dumbledore and the fact that she said she felt this character was gay. Saying “I’m not kidding,” about this statement Jo made last Friday in New York, the author went on to note “I know that it was a positive thing that I said it for at least one person because one man ‘came out’ at Carnegie Hall.”

The Star (DH plot spoiler at link!) continues on to note J.K. Rowling emphasized the information was revealed because she was asked a direct question about it, and said “she didn’t feel the need to be explicit about Dumbledore’s sexual preferences because she wanted to focus on character development.

“If you were an author then you would understand that when you write the ending it comes at the end,” she said.”

Update: The entire video press conference with Jo is now online, here. Thanks Mahri!)

Jo continued on to say:

The plot is what it is,” said Rowling. “(Dumbledore) did have, as I say, this rather tragic infatuation but that was a key part of the ending of the story so there it is. Why would I put the key part of my ending of my story in Book One?”

Rowling said Tuesday she found it “freeing” to out Dumbledore, adding that the passages about him will mean different things to different readers.

“I think a child will see a friendship and I think a sensitive adult may well understand that it was an infatuation,” she said.

UPDATE: Reuters has more now from JKR, who elaborated on her decision to reveal the information about Dumbledore stating:”He is my character. He is what he is and I have the right to say what I say about him.”

Jo also said again “she might work on a Potter encyclopedia for charity, but only after a long break.”It’s like the break-up of a marriage. It’s a good idea not to see each other for a while, then maybe you can be good friends afterwards,” she said.”

Update 3: Photos of Jo from the press conference in Toronto, Ontario Canada are now up in our galleries, here.

898 Responses to J.K. Rowling on Dumbledore Revelation: “He is My Character” (Updated with Video)

Avatar Image says:

BRAVO!!! WTG JO! That is exactly what I have thought all along, it is the sum total of DD’s personality that is important, not this one thing. Fabulous!!

Avatar Image says:

Finally, its nice to hear some clarification from Jo. This whole thing has gotten out of hand. Thanks Jo, you’re the best.

Avatar Image says:

Poor Jo, being quizzed over this issue. She almost sounds surprised it is such a big issue. But it also sounds like she is pleased in general that this is now out in the open, even if it is secondary to Dumbledore’s main character development.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Jo! Relax, have a cup of hot cocoa and just let the idjits twist in the wind. They’ll blow themselves out and you have made the world a better place.

(Fools will not believe anything that contradicts their narrow minded assessments and they’ll be out there searching for another reason to whine and twitch now that they can’t use this as an excuse.)

Avatar Image says:

Damn right she wasn’t kidding! This is such an important part of Dumbledore and only reinforces his place as my fav character.

Avatar Image says:

So does this mean Grindelwald didn’t feel the same? Was he even aware of how DD felt? I’m curious from a story perspective. If they had a big break up, or if DD just finally took his rose colored glasses off and realized what he was all about.

Avatar Image says:

I’m disgusted by the news. I’ve lost all respect for Dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

I think Grindelwald probably didn’t return the infatuation. Dumbledore probably just had to realize he was being “blinded by love”.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with “skh”. Jo is THE BEST!

Avatar Image says:

Jo will be able to exhale when she gets back home. No one here is going to send her hate mail or death threats for outing one of her characters. And the fact that she has reinforced what she said is great. No backtracking to save face.

These are HER thoughts on HER characters. We may well be free to interpret the books in our own unique way but I trust her judgement on the books more than mine, afterall, she wrote the bleedin’ things.

Avatar Image says:

Nice way to bolster profits. Maybe JO can donate new proceeds to homosexual efforts worldwide.

Avatar Image says:

Did we ever find out who killed DD sister for sure?

Avatar Image says:

i said it before and i’ll say it again, i am very dissapointed at Rowling, is not only that homosexuality is not natural and is not right. i think that Dumbledore was a role model for today’s kids, but now she declares that he is gay after selling her last book… it’s not right for the kids who use to think of him as a hero. now i am sure a lot of kids don’t know what to think. my nephews are confused and questioning us about homosexuality and i think it’s dangerous for them and any other kid in the world. and it is unfair that she decided to make the declaration after the last book.. if i had known that there was a gay charachter in a children’s book i would not have bought the book for my nephews and i would not have read it miself. i will not be buying any more books from Rowling. clearly she knew that many people were not going to support this. so she chose to do this after she sold millions of dollars and not before. that is coward, convenient and honestly a little dishonest.

Avatar Image says:

“Why would I put the key part of my ending of my story in Book One?”

She didn’t even put it in book 7. Why not if it was a key part of the story. I’m sorry but she was too coward to do it. And of course there is the revenues to consider.

Avatar Image says:

Well I guess I was wrong…

Avatar Image says:

Jo created a wonderful yet tragic hero, that everyone can look up to and learn from. He is a beautifully written and very human character. Thanks Jo.

Avatar Image says:

I think that all the people who are commenting that they would not have read the book if they knew Dumbledore was gay are being stupid. I think that not knowing about it was a great thing. It allowed everyone to see him for the man he was, not for who he liked. It was a good way of showing that it is not someone’s sexuality that matters. If his being gay makes you like the character any less, that is dumb. I am proud that Jo didn’t put it in the books because it just goes to show how little sexuality should really matter.

Avatar Image says:

That is a contradictory thing to say. Either it’s key to the books or it’s not. If it was key why wasn’t it in the books? If it’s not key, why is she calling it that?

Avatar Image says:

I feel for JKR. And I feel for us. I wanted more details about what happened next! Think of the tidbits we could have gleaned if people were less obsessed with this issue. I find it fascinating because it adds more to Dumbledore’s backstory. But I really don’t think it is all that important. Oh what I would give to look at some of JKR’s notes on her characters!

Avatar Image says:

hahahahaaaa! Oh man, this news post title made me laugh. I guess some people were grasping at straws.

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t matter if they are dumb or not. The fact is that this revelation will cause parents to pull the books from their children. The thing that i respected Jo for the most was getting kids to read. This really is a big deal, because it ruins it for so many children. Yes it is narrow minded, but that’s the way it is. There is no need to tackle the gay issue in a childrens book. The world is not ready for that. If she wants to tackle gay issues, she should do it in another series.

Avatar Image says:

If it doesn’t matter what your sexuality is then why did she announce that he was gay? It doesn’t matter right? WRONG! It does matter, it’s not right and it’s not natural. She is a coward for waiting till after all the books were sold and making her millions, she must have known she’d lose most of her fans if she’d said something from the beginning about dumbledore being gay. If it didn’t matter then why say anything at all? Because YOU do know it matters.

Avatar Image says:

How dare you say things like that about gay people CHE.

Avatar Image says:

saying that being gay is wrong because it isn’t natural is the same thing as saying pitching a baseball is wrong because it isn’t natural (it isn’t… your arm wasn’t made to be throwing 100 mph every pitch).

Avatar Image says:

Whitney, you’re comments are sickening. Do you think people choose to be gay? I certainly didnt. Stop posting your intolerant hate messages.

Avatar Image says:

People are not born gay. Ever notice they can’t reproduce? That should give you a clue.

Avatar Image says:

I AM GAY AND I NEVER CONSCIOUSLY CHOSE IT. How dare you speak of things you couldn’t possibly ever understand.

Avatar Image says:

By the way, I don’t hate gays I just hate them shoving their lifestyles down my throat.

Avatar Image says:

She said it because she was ASKED. She said it in a really matter of fact way. She didn’t want to make a big deal about it, but she also didn’t want to lie about it. So, rather than answer in a shady way, she told the truth. She didn’t try to “tackle” it as someone said before. When you are writing, your characters tend to invent themselves. She wasn’t trying to “make a statement.” She was just trying to write a story. It should not be the bid deal people are making it into.

I’m sorry about that.

Avatar Image says:

Whitney, if you hate them shoving it down your throat, stop shoving your heterosexuality down theirs’

Avatar Image says:

Im surprised shes even going to do another HP book period after how you so-called fans have treated her. Its a shame how we live in the same world with you ignorant bigots.

Avatar Image says:

Whitney, your’re the one who has come in here shoving your i’ll informed opinions down peoples throats.

Avatar Image says:

These comments truly crack me up :D Did you really think that all these hundreds of characters were heterosexual? In what world were you living in again?

Avatar Image says:

I’m not the one who parades down streets and forces school to make little children learn about my lifestyle. Who’s the one shoving crap down peoples throat?

Avatar Image says:

It is unnatural to write a book where all of the characters are white, or black, or straight, or gay. Real life includes all of these features and a book that deals in our reality must include as many races, colors, and sexual orientations as possible. One cannot assume that a person is straight or gay because of the necessity to fit one’s own personal tolerance sphere. People are gay and straight all around us, and its our job to accept them all.

The next time someone feels the need to spout their intolerance, he or she should: a) Learn how to type. Ignoring punctuation, correct spelling and grammar makes you look like you are 3 years old. No one will take you seriously. b) State your claim from a logical point of view. Don’t say that it’s wrong because “I think so”, state its wrong for real reasons. Otherwise, it makes you look uneducated, intolerant and unwise.

This is only aimed at a few people here, and you know who you are.

Avatar Image says:

Well said kos. Whitney should just stop posting because novody can take her seriously.

Avatar Image says:

whitney ur comments are way out of hand jo is not a coward DD sexulity does not matter that much it just helps us relize how hard it was for him to finally go after gryindiwauld thats why it wasnt in the books why would jo need to keep fans she already has alot and she doesnt need the money plus one of the most important messages in these books is to accept people for who they are which apperantly u cant do so why were u evan reading them?

Avatar Image says:

I’ve said my thoughts on this topic in the comments before, and I just want reiterate that I think that this does not change Dumbledore’s characterization that much for me…it just brings more understanding and light to his character. As for people who are commenting about her “key part” response, I think she was talking more about the AD/GG relationship, and less about just Dumbledore being gay.

I understand that some find this against their beliefs, but why should that change what Dumbledore means (or meant) to you? This series, above all, is about love, something supported in the Bible and by religions across the spectrum. Don’t forget that.

Avatar Image says:

No we don’t need to teach others about our heterosexuality because it is just assumed that it is right, that is even worse. It is shoved down our throat everyday. How many books did you read when you were a little kid where a prince saved another prince and they lived happily ever after? That’s what I thought.

Avatar Image says:

How can people actually think she wants to bolster her sales even more than they already are? She said it herself, it was an answer to a direct question. The only way to get out of the hook would have been by lying. There’s absolutely no reason whatsoever for her to hide information anymore since the last book has already been written.

It’s a key part to the story because it explains in a new light Dumbledore’s actions but it wasn’t necessary to explain it in detail, since his sexuality was never even remotely important to the main plot and would have only served to distract from the really important issues in the book. She left the whole subject ambiguos enough for each reader to draw their own conclusions.

I can understand some parents being bummed about it, since many of them don’t like to talk about sexuality, specially homosexuality, with their kids and the books couldn’t shake their kiddy aura no matter how much darker they got as they progressed.

I don’t see this information increasing her sales, in fact, it could decrease them on some conservative parts of the world where the book hasn’t even been translated yet. Then again, they end up not buying one book while people who haven’t read the books and are now intrigued, could end up buying all seven.

Has anyone asked Jo if Dumbledore was the only gay character? There could be another one and we wouldn’t know about it because no one has asked her directly.

Avatar Image says:

Well said, JKR! She’s great!!

Avatar Image says:

I can accept people for who they are, I don’t care if you gay or not but why do you have to make such a huge deal out of it? Why do you have to parade down streets and make schools teach little children about your lifestyles? I don’t understand why you do it.

Avatar Image says:

oops sorry kos i probly should have paid attention to grammer on my comment but i cant spell and i never really rememember punctuation so people please take my comment seriously =)

Avatar Image says:

AM, that is prob one of the more profound posts i’ve read here. Thank you, that’s what it feels like sometimes.

Avatar Image says:

I know why she’s done this. There is a deep reason why. Remember she has always said that she would love it if her books were banned, and when the uproar of the misinformed christians in the USA started up, she wasvery excited. She wrote in too, in Hermione’s voice that if Umbridge could do anything good, it was banning the Quibbler, to ensure everyone had read it. She is trying her best to get her books banned for the same reason. Just think of all the reasons, subtle or otherwise she would want this.

Some of my best friends are gay, and I love them to bits. I used to have great respect for Rowling.

Avatar Image says:

Whitney, don’t even pretend to be tolerant of gay people. Your posts are say the exact opposite.

Avatar Image says:

There are parades and other events to promote the awareness of gay rights, because, like it or not, we don’t live in a free country. Until we get our rights that we deserve just as much as every other American, we won’t stop fighting. If the gay community just sat back and didn’t care, I can guarantee you life wouldn’t be as pretty (at least with our current president). All men are created equal? That is such a joke in this country it’s not even funny.

Avatar Image says:

Whatever, this has just made me love JKR even more.

Lol.

Avatar Image says:

I love you all. Yes, even you.

Avatar Image says:

Matt, I totally agree. Some people are just trying to stir things up.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve got better things to do than argue with you.

Avatar Image says:

And for those of us who are not intolerant, just ignore those who are posting mean and hateful comments. First of all, they’re just trolls, they’re not worth our time on these boards. Second, know that you are the better person for standing up against hate and prejudice.

Avatar Image says:

You should know by now that some of the people bashing gays are just plain trolling and loving the reaction.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, poor Jo, she sounds exasperated. If someone doesn’t like the fact that Jo said Dumbledore is gay, they can just ignore her and interpret the books how they want. I thought it was pretty obvious after reading DH, but aparently this is a big surprise to a lot of people. My reaction to her statement was simple pleasure at having my observation confirmed.

Avatar Image says:

Matt and woot, people’s support like yours is what the fandom should be about. Not spreading hate.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t really see what the big deal is. So Dumbledore is gay, that doesn’t change my opinion of the charachter. Did that change the fact that he was the only Wizard Voldemort feared? Nope. Did it change that he was one of the greatest wizards? Um, no again.

Just think if she had revealed it in book 1. How would that have changed the dynamic of the books? Why did Dumbledore trust Snape so much? Could it be they were having a relationship? Can you imagine the Dumbledore/Snape shippers? It added nothing to the story so she didn’t include it. Now it’s like Neville marrying Hannah Abbott an interesting tidbit about a favorite charachter.

The only thing that has changed is that some intolerant people now have something to complain about.

Avatar Image says:

“Soldior, you must be the most stupid person in the history of the world. Gay people are not child molestors or paedophiles. SHUT UP. Posted by Irishpotterfan on October 23, 2007 @ 12:31 PM”

Note the word “like” which means similar to but not exactly. Yes i used like and i said it is like incest with consent or bestiality with consent… homosexuality is just one of the three.

Avatar Image says:

I agree. It is things like this that show who the real fans are.Go Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

Just what many of us expected. All the proponents for JK’s comments are brandishing their sword of justice and gratitude while those that are opposed to homosexuality in general and the main character of a children’s book specifically are branded as bigots, hate-mongers, you name it. The bottom line is the life style is not recognized as legitimate, still, in the eyes of many and that belief is usually based on two things: one, one’s own perception/belief of morality and two, it goes against all that is nature . . . it flys in the face that is all Darwinian. Does it mean that I dislike gay people? No . . . I have some friends that are. Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean that I accept their choice in this respect.

So what is my point? We have a right to disagree with JK on her comments and the we have the right to say that she is wrong in “making” Dumbledore gay just to push some personal political agenda or belief system. I do not attack you for supporting her; do not attack me or others for saying she is wrong . . .

Avatar Image says:

I think it is GREAT that Rowling made Dumbledore Gay, and I knew this would unleash a firestorm among the disgusting homophobes in the world. I can kind of see that in Dumbledore, and it is just fine with me. And FYI, being gay is NOT unnatural, harmful or bad in any way, it is just another way for someone to be, it occurs in nature, and if millions of people are, then it is a normal alternative. I have supported gay rights, marched in parades with them, although I am not gay myself. Good for her, and I support her and Dumbledore 100%.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. I have never posted before, but now feel compelled. I understand that everyone will have a strong reaction to the news (I know I did), but the outpouring of hate in the previous posts is quite disturbing. Especially the most recent comments by soldior. Learn some tolerance.

Avatar Image says:

This issue makes me angry. Never mind the fact as to whether or not being gay is wrong or not. Come on guys these stories are for kids, do we really want to start teaching our children this stuff. Even if you do it should be up to the parents to teach thier children about issues such as this, it is not a strangers place to start a childs questions with such an issue. I tell you what if it was my child that heard this issue for the first time from a stranger I would be mad. Thank you for allowing me to comment

Avatar Image says:

I’m tired of being the one under attack.

Avatar Image says:

We need some moderators in here now! There are too many mountain trolls lurking in here (wishing I had a big club about now to knock them over the head)

Avatar Image says:

You are so brave, JKR. I knew you would never let such idiotic hysteria change what you said or let it even ruffle you.

You know what it only makes the character and plot deeper and better. You’re a great writer with great ideas and perceptions of humanity and everybody should see that!

Avatar Image says:

While I’m very pleased that Ms. Rowling has elected to expound on this aspect of her character, I’d note that Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series (specifically, Magic’s Pawn, Magic’s Promise, and Magic’s Price) had an openly gay (shay’a’chern, as she dubbed gay folk) character who was the most powerful wizard on the planet, and saved the day (at great cost to himself.) These outstanding tales came out decades ahead of Harry Potter, so it’s not quite a unique notion. Maybe that means a prequel isn’t that far out of the question. If she can repeat Mercedes Lackey, why not Lucas’ prequels, too?

Avatar Image says:

“Okay, let’s try this again. This week, I have been very disillusioned and disapointed, not at the outing of Dumbledore, or Rowling, but at my fellow members of the fan base, I’m embarassed by the intolerance. Consdering that the books are about overcoming Prejudice and having tolerance, some fans really failed the test this week, for shame.”

Get over the it its real life issue here millions of children are being exploited by this JGAY Rolling I read the books watched the movie loved it hate her now hate the books hate the movie even though i don’t like to hate…

Avatar Image says:

I think this quote is correct. Actually, I am 35 and only saw it as a friendship. This outing does not bother me at all. It does not change my image of him at all. What bothered me more about Dumbledore was how he was setting Harry up to die but in the end I was ok with that too.

It is a story and these are not real people they are JKR’s imagination. If you love reading you come across every type of character in many different setting. Sometimes there character is well know and the writer lets all the details of that character out in the story but there are many stories where you are left never knowing the “real” character or are left to make up your own mind on them. I think JKR has done a great job of showing that the wizarding world is not made up of only one type of person but is full of people from all walks of life just like in the real world.

The Potter series shows how intolerant some people are towards people who are not like them (like the pure blood vs muggle born story). What is funny or maybe sad is that we as potter fans say we don’t like Draco going on about muggle borns and such but on this board there have been so many comments that would be right up Draco’s ally.

Avatar Image says:

My, such a fuss on this. My first reaction has been “hun”?? i had never seen dumbledore like this. And never though the jkr would bring on the subject.

Yeah, gay is not normality, it’s not the way nature made us. So that ? That don’t make it wrong. Since when is not being normal a crime ? Na, gays people are just humans, no worse or better than the heteros.

Avatar Image says:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE OUTED? AND WHY DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF HE IS GAY OR NOT? IS SHE GOING TO RIGHT ANOTHER BOOK ABOUT DD? OTHERWISE I DONT REALLY SEE THE POINT IN WHY THIS IS SUCH A BIG DEAL? ALSO, IS HE GAY IN REAL LIFE OR JUST HIS CHARACTER?

Avatar Image says:

Okay, okay. Let’s take a breath.

At some point the hoopla needs to die down. As much as I love the books and characters of HP, and as crazy as a fan I am … we do need to remember that we ARE talking about an imaginary person, here. This is a debate about a man made up in her IMAGINATION! If someone is so ridiculously upset by DD’s sexual preference … guess what? they don’t have to imagine it. They can focus on his love of socks.

Now onto a more exciting revelation … who is the Latino Hogwarts student? I mean, black, white, Asian, East Indian … can the Hispanics get a little love?

That’s what I’m going as for Halloween: Maria Juanita, the Latina Hogwarts Student. Viva la Gryffindor!

Avatar Image says:

Apalling -truly appalling. The financial motivation behind her cowardly decision to only out Dumbledore AFTER publication of all 7 books is obvious. Having said that, Dumbledore is one fo fiction’s most complex, devious, self-obessed, cruel and cowardly characters. As he himself said -His brother and indeed Harry are far, far finer people.

Avatar Image says:

Why is it that we can’t simply not agree with JKR’s choice to make such an important character gay? Why does that make us “Haters” or “Intolerant” or “Bigots”?

Just because we find homosexuality a sickening thought does not mean that we hate gay people.

And those who insist that saying Dumbledore is gay is the same as saying he is straight – stop kidding yourselves. By the very definition of the words straight is normal and natural, gay is not. Normal because the vast majority of the population say it is. Natural because that is the way nature intended the species to reproduce.

I don’t hate gay people. I don’t treat them any differently when I run into them. I don’t speak ill of them. I do not wish them violence or unhappiness.

I simply do not agree with their sexuality. Not because of religion, not because of “intolerence”, and certainly not because I hate. It’s just because it is disgusting to think about.

Avatar Image says:

I feel like some of the people in this discussion have not even read the books. They are only here to spout their intolerant views. Real Harry Potter fans would never act like this and I think JKR with this press-conference really suggested that.

Not in a full moon!

I wont buy this ! Gays are wrong FREEDOM OF SPEECH !!

Dear Roger,

I am left-handed and have hazel eyes.

So, technically, I am a mutant.

So am I not normal and terribly sickening to your psyche?

Avatar Image says:

@Whitney: JKR isn’t the one making the big deal out of it. IT’s stupid people who are. JKR answered a question at an event that’s all she did. As a matter of fact she answered several questions. The one about Arthur Weasley and MOlly Weasley and Bellatrix, the one about Snape’s portrait ALL had longer answers than the one about Dumbledore, but that’s the one people are all in an uproar about because they have a problem with it for some reason?! A problem I still can’t understand. I mean a character is Gay, so What? There are like over 100 characters mentioned in her books, you can’t have expected them all to be the same. But that’s what it is isn’t, People want all the characters in the books to be white and heterosexual or otherwise they’re going to have a problem.

Avatar Image says:

Sure everyone that doesn’t agree is ignorant doesn’t know what he/she is talking about etc… how typical…

Avatar Image says:

Whitney, Che and others…I feel very sad that you choose to be so negative. As far as “forcing sexual preference down anyones throat”, I don’t think this is the place for this conversation….Ms Rowling did a very good and noble thing. As far as the Tolerance part of her stories goes..how sad that we, here in the 21st Century, still have this problem. Children will not know that there is any problem, if the adults (and we are, aren’t we?) don’t make an issue of it. Live and let live….........

Avatar Image says:

I have been a huge fan of these books. I have read them all and seen all the movies. I am very unhappy that she made a comment about Dumbledore being gay. Forget the issue as to whether or not being gay is wrong or right. It is not a strangers place to teach our children about such issues. It should be up to the parents. What is this world coming to when it is ok for a stranger to raise such questions for our children.

Avatar Image says:

Who’s to say being gay is not natural? Did God come down from the skies and give you a revelation? I didn’t think so :p besides, if it weren’t “natural” it wouldn’t be in “nature” in the first place.

Avatar Image says:

@Melissa: Some people in this discussion were obviously never REAL fans in the first place because they’re acting like idiots over something so small. I mean this is a big revelation and it’s makes Dumbledore’s character alot more complex. But seriously, all JKR did was give us more backstory on one of the characters. But people are all upset because the backstory involved something, that for some reason that i still can’t understand, is UNACCEPTED??!!!!

Avatar Image says:

There is all this talk about how it will affect the children. Why do they need to know about these comments? The thought that he was gay never even crossed my mind when I read it, and when my son is old enough to read it, I will not point it out to him (unless he comes up with it, then we will discuss it!) Jo even says that a child would see friendship, and I think that is all that is necessary.

Avatar Image says:

Regarding my previous post. This is embarassing, amazing for a troll to argue “Get over it”. Mind you, a little context, I’ve been a fan of the books since 2000. I contributed a little to the HP Lexicon and was a moderator for the HP Lexicon Forum for a good spell. Now, I don’t want to be a party with some of these alleged ‘fans’, it’s really a disgrace, best of luck though. Some people really need to look at themselves.

Avatar Image says:

Some people on these chats seem to be arguing just for the sake of arguing. They have absolutely nothing productive to say. I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve gotten got up in these arguments during the past couple days. If you have only hurtful and hateful things to say, find another outlet for your anger. Don’t go insulting JKR or any of her fans.

Avatar Image says:

It upsets me to think that Homosexuals have become so public in the western hemisphere … tolerance should go two ways you should tolerate our sensitivity’s and stay quiet or we will have a indisputable right to talk back and stop you as you try to stop us.

Avatar Image says:

sorry I what I meant to say was, I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve gotten caught up in these arguments during the past couple days.

Avatar Image says:

Regarding gay not being Normal or the way nature made us: Nonsense. It’s a solidly established fact that there are gay and lesbian animals in all of nature. While were on the subject, the ability to procreate (or not) is no measure of the validity of the relationships. If it is, then un-marry those people who spent years together but are barren, have no children. What this is REALLY all about is people trying to control others, tell others what is Right or Wrong, what they “should” do. So long as no one is being harmed (and if they are, that’s a separate issue) someone’s orientation is none of anyone else’s business. In the real world, there are many very successful, happy, sane, normal people who just happen to be hardwired to love those of the same gender. Did you enjoy Gandalf, from Lord of the Rings? The ACTOR is openly gay, in a committed relationship. No one would ever accuse Gandalf of being a wimp, a stooge or anything else untoward.

Stick to your bedroom, keep you noses out of everyone else’s bedrooms, and be glad when people can find love in the world.

Peace & Creation,

JT

Avatar Image says:

I’ll have to side with Whitney on most of these issues. Why was it important to have a plant in the audience to ask that question in order to give a prepared answer? Why is it so important to discuss sexual preferences at age eight or nine (probably a decent stab at the average age of the readers).

(Kos, please notice I can utilize, emphasize, and, when I’m very fortunate, tantalize without those darn dangling participles and phrases that so often are quite a nuisance to good literature. My punctuation ain’t real wonky, either).

But why is it so important? Do normal people begin indoctrinating their children at age three as to be being heterosexual? Then why do homosexuals? And it was mentioned about shoving their beliefs down one’s throat. Mm. A bit weak on the evidence side unless you’re reaching to ads shown every day where a bride and groom are displaying a tux and gown for a business, etc.

But with that type of ad, was it the sole purpose to sell heterosexuality to an unsuspecting public? Were there subliminal messages hidden inside the gal’s train or the guy’s pocket hankie?

Why do we have to tell our children they can be homosexual? If this was a natural-born condition, wouldn’t they know?

And the bigotry. I’m sure many times there have been ugly displays of bigotry. You won’t find it from me although I do not condone this type of activity (alternate “lifestyle”?). But I will have to point out that most of the rantings I’ve seen do not come from the individuals who have taken a bit more stringent stance on the matter. Biblical stance, I dare say?

But, alas, the cat is in the cauldron and the intended message to promote homosexuality, or, as one put it, “shoving your i’ll (sic) informed opinions down peoples (sic) throats” has been accomplished.

I was perusing the local book shop recently, considering for my five-year-old son the complete set of books in hardback. It’s the one that comes with the locking box for storage? I thought he might enjoy them when he’s a bit older.

Fortunately, I heard this on the news before I put more money into the support of a lifestyle of which I do not condone.

We’re called bigots when we don’t agree with this militant group. But I’ll make a deal with them. I’ll wear one shoe, they wear the other.

Richard South Carolina

Avatar Image says:

ALL SHE WAS DOING WAS ANSWERING A SIMPLE QUESTION, I DONT THINK THIS HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH SELLING MORE, I THINK EVERYONE ALREADY HAS THE BOOK ANYWAYS. OR ANYONE THAT WILL HAVE EVEN HEARD THIS NEWS! ALTHOUGH I DO NOT THINK ITS RIGHT FOR A CHILDRENS BOOK, MANY CHILDREN DONT EVEN FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT GAY IS, BUT THEN AGAIN THE ONES WHO DONT PROBABLY DONT WATCH THE NEWS ( OR READ THE NEWS) SO THEREFORE THEY DONT EVEN KNOW AND THEY JUST LOVE DD THE SAME!

Avatar Image says:

@Rachel: She’s not teaching anyone anything freakin’ thing. WHY are some of you people so freakin’ simple minded??? She said that when she was writing the character of Dumbledore that SHE pictured him as GAY and that HELPED her developed his character. THAT’s all she said. It’s not like she’s saying that everyone has to be accepting of homosexuals just because Dumbledore’s Gay. Because clearly in this WORLD that we live in today, EVERYONE can’t be accepted if THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!!

Avatar Image says:

Why don’t we just all agree that we were surprised and have differing opinions? I like debate, but I think people are taking it too far. Especially the type of trolls that ruined DH for me.

We all love(d) Dumbledore, you can accept him or not. You can choose to read the books to your kids or not. You can choose to read the books yourself or not. We beat the issue like a dead hippogriff. Dumbledore’s here, he’s queer, accept it or not. Jo did it, it happened, let’s say our piece and end it. You choose to be a fan, if you don’t want to anymore, than that’s your loss.

Avatar Image says:

“There is no need to tackle the gay issue in a children’s book. The world is not ready for that. If she wants to tackle gay issues, she should do it in another series.”

@Trick, I wasn’t aware that JKR did “tackle gay issues” in the books. There is no mention of homosexuality anywhere in HP that I can recall.

JKR certainly did deal with intolerance…something you may want to give some thought to.

Avatar Image says:

Might have known that bleedin’ Quidditch question would come up again! :)

Avatar Image says:

@Richard: Are you age 8 or 9? Is anyone in here 8 or 9 years old right now??? EXACTLY!! Most kids that age don’t even know what the word GAY means. So they probably don’t even care, it hasn’t changed a thing for them. I’m 20 years old and the only thing it’s changed for me is it’s made me like Dumbledore more! But I honestly wouldn’t care if she had said Dumbledore was a serial killer, I would still love the books just as much as I do now. Because they’re awesome!

Celia Alabama!

How can people let her get away with this she destroyed Harry Potter…....... >:

Avatar Image says:

Okay, first I get tired of comments that say bla bla bla BUT bla bla bla. For example (not my words or feelings just an example): “I don’t hate gays, BUT their life style is disgusting” In the words of Doctor Phil, when you say BUT in the middle of a sentence you are saying forget what I just said now I’m really going to tell you how I feel. All right enough of that now…just a pet peeve of mine.

Secondly, choose to agree or disagree with Jo, but the bottom line is these are her characters, her story. This is how she pictured Dumbledore, just as she pictured Snape as a hidden nice guy who was still somewhat of a slimy git when it came to Harry. After the book came out she expounded on her feelings about Snape and his character, and not everyone agrees with her on this either. Alas does it matter? Not really, I personally think that Jo’s ideas are dead on because these are her characters she’s been with them longer than any of us and therefore knows them the best. However, if you don’t agree then don’t see them in that way. To me it’s as simple as that.

I am very glad to hear from Jo on this issue, and I agree that there was no reason to put much if anything about DD’s sexuality in the books. We didn’t really learn anything about Grindewald (other than what was on the chocolate frog cards) until the DH, so why would she have put anything in it earlier since he was the wizard DD was infatuated with. As to any mentions in DH well it really just depends on how you read it. When I read DD’s letter to Grindewald in DH for the first time I could feel the emotions that were radiating from the words. I had an inkling there was something more there, others may not have seen it nor ever see it that way. It just really depends on your interpretation doesn’t it. She had no need to put it in explicitly because in a sense she was allowing us to make what we would out of it. As she said, some will see it only as a friendship, others as an infatuation, it all depends on your perspective.

Why bring it up now…because she was asked a DIRECT question and answered it honestly. Truly it’s as simple as that. It doesn’t bother me one iota that DD is gay or had a love for Grindewald, to me that adds to his characterization, shows him as an even more loving person who was also blinded by that love.

Thanks again Jo.

Avatar Image says:

Superaurorgirl, I agree. I’m tired of arguing with these idiots. They can believe whatever. I myself, just can’t wait until movie 6 comes out. That’s going to be a long wait, but after seeing all of those pictures of Slughorn’s house and of that village. I just can’t wait!!! I’m sooo excited!!!

Avatar Image says:

Just please stop saying this woman is brave. There is nothing brave about the way she handle this whole gay issue. She didn’t even see it fit to include it in the last book, where she suppostly thought it was key. And those who argue she is already rich. She doesn’t need more money. Give me a break. Since when did having money stopped you from wanting more. This is the woman that sued a poor indian organization for building a fake hogwarts for their nonprofit religous ceremony. That is when I’m view on her went down like 50%. In the sued, she was asking for money. Not just demanding they stop.

FAVORITE CHARACTERS:

1. Hermione 2. Harry 3. DUMBLEDORE!!

Avatar Image says:

I’d hoped I was done commenting on this. One last facet:

Regarding the effect on children, the only effect it will have on them is when narrominded bigots choose to shelter their kids from this, one aspect of true reality. Do you worry about explaining the relationship of Harry’s parental units? Are you concerned with all the heterosexual references on TV? OMG, how will I explain to Little Johnny why Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver are in the same bed together!? How do you plan to explain your OWN relations to the kids? The clear answer is that you don’t. They take it in, along with everything else in the world. They see it as just as standard/real as strawberry, chocolate, carmel and vanilla all being flavors of ice cream. They’re still only going to like what they like. Knowing that gay people exist doesn’t make them gay, any more than knowing straight people exist made gay people straight, even though most of the visual role models were hetero.

I had a BF, he lived with his best friend from HS, and his godson. The child was raised that people love each other. Some love boys, some love girls, and it’s all just people loving other people. He didn’t blink at us being affectionate towards each other. Tony and I holding hands was no different than his mom and her husband doing the same thing. Even when he barged into the bedroom one day and saw us making out, his “what are you guys doin’?” wasn’t in reference to the kiss. He wanted to know if we’d come out and play with him. The kiss never needed explained. Kids tend to take things in stride.

I find that people who are homophobic will use just about any excuse to justify their unreasonable hatred. Some call upon the (VERY few) references in the Bible to justify their prejudice (while ignoring all the OTHER sins that they commit regularly, including being unloving and intolerant.) Some try to use Nature (and switch to another arguement when that one falls short of fact,) and some try to suggest that children will be harmed. Fact is, gay men and lesbians have been raising children for decades now – very well adjusted HETERO children who love their parents very much. When will you homophobes give it up? Why is it so terribly hard for you to grasp that there is no harm, and just accept people, be glad that they love?

JT

Avatar Image says:

Japanese press report that Jo told that Grindelwald turned down Dumbledore, after he had shared a bed with the young DD three times. Therefore, there is a fierce bashing on Jo and the whole Harry Potter series. It’s crazy.

JKR, YOU’RE AWESOME!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Please don’t feed the TROLLS, (Whitney, Rachel, Richard, Soldior, Wand of Harry…have I left anyone out?).

Avatar Image says:

Well, DUMBle if you had read the books then you would KNOW what went on during Harry and Dumbledore’s lessons. Since the books are from Harry’s point of view and everything. Nice try though.

Avatar Image says:

Mia—I’d really like to know where they heard that one. Jo hasn’t mentioned anything about that, or it would be in the press over here as well. Sounds like people are making up their own details.

Avatar Image says:

@Mia: JKR never said that Grindelwald returned Dumbledore’s feelings. Which is why Dumbledore had his heartbroken. He was infatuated with Grindelwald’s mind and when Grindelwald turned out to have so much hate in him Dumbledore was let down. This doesn’t have anything to do with sex at all. I don’t know why people ALWAYS think about sex whenever a Gay matter is brought up.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t hate homophobes, I just hate their shoving their beliefs down my throat. It’s a two way street, ya know.

Yet someway, somehow, there has to be a meeting place.

Thank you again Jo!

Brian:-)

Avatar Image says:

If I could send a howler to tell everybody to play nice in the sandbox I would.

Avatar Image says:

@Patronous: People are stupid, so they’re coming up with alot of stupid crap. I’m not Gay and I never really understood Gay people before, but after all of this, I really really feel sorry for them. No wonder they don’t want anyone to know that their Gay. I thought people had become accepting of them because of all the stuff I see on TV but clearly not. If HP “FANS” are getting upset just because JKR said she PICTURED Dumbledore as gay and I thought HP fans consisted of a pretty liberal and open-minded bunch of people, but I guess NOT!

Avatar Image says:

It is unfortunate that anyone who was disappointed at this news is viewed as “close-minded” or seemingly unable to think for themselves. The abusive language used here on a “fan” site (where hopefully all of us can at least agree that the books are fantastic and J.K. Rowling is a very gifted author) doesn’t lend credibility to either side of the issue. Almost all of us have taken the characters that Jo has written for us and know what they look like to us or what their voices sound like to us. In that respect, the characters become our own. Because they have become “ours,” you will have people who are disappointed with a specific actor being selected to play a part or because of an actor’s performance in the films.

Jo announcing this about a beloved character, after the series was complete, will shock any fan (some positively and others negatively). Regardless of the effect, this is a character that belongs to each of us in a very personal way. He’s a hero, and to some this news obviously comes as a severe blow to their very personal experience with him. And since they belong to each of us (at a personal level), there are many fans who resist any degree of tampering. There isn’t anything wrong with a fan if they feel the way that they express here (whether disappointed or excited at the news). When the dust settles from this, the version of Harry’s story that we chose to read will remain unchanged for each of us. Fan-fiction proves that despite what we may read in the books, or even what Jo may say herself, these characters are ours and we have that right (any Harry/Hermione shippers out there)?

Avatar Image says:

Here’s the thing (and there’s really no getting around it) there are gay people in the world. Whether or not you agree that is the fact. I applaud Jo for writing DD as a gay man. Maybe we can teach our children that being different is not a bad thing. For all those out there who use their religion as an excuse to bash the homosexuals in the world and now Jo for writing about them, let me ask you a question. Don’t you remember the part in the Bible that says “judge not, least ye be judged”? As for writing about it, Jo showed us that a person is not defind by their sexual orientaion. Dumbledor was a great man and taught Harry how to defeat evil. Nothing takes away from that aspect of the book, not even homosexuality.

I love Harry Potter!!!

Avatar Image says:

Whitney wrote near the top of this thread: “I’m disgusted by the news. I’ve lost all respect for Dumbledore.”

I’m so glad JK decided to do this now. It really exposes all those for whom respect is conditional. I wonder what the reaction will be when a family member comes out to them? Will all those years of holidays, talks, and laughs suddenly mean nothing?

Probably. Small minds can only concentrate on small things.

Avatar Image says:

reading the comments and disgusted I’m DISGUSTED and almost EMBARRASSED to be called an HP fan. What ever did happen to being a fan and not putting people down. No, I’m not talking about the “haters”. I’m talking about some of you guys who are just as bad as the haters.

I’ve made my statement loud and clear that I don’t agree with homosexuality THAT DOESN’T MEAN I hate gays and lesbians. I’m merely stating my personal opinion and my belief and so are some. It’s like saying why Hindus don’t eat cows or Jews don’t eat pork. And we respect them (well some of us) and yet we can’t respect people have a different opinion towards homosexuality. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! Granted some people are a little more outspoken than others. But DON’T YOU EVER EVER make it your personal mission to attack, just b/c you don’t like it.

What ever did happen to tolerance (I’m beginning to hate that word)?! I am truly disgusted by the HATE AND ANGER towards some of you guys have.

That also goes for Whitney and Soldier who are VERY outspoken and once we know your opinion, there’s not reason to state it over and over. Or you could’ve said it in a better way.

~Anita

Avatar Image says:

I shall place the Cruciatus Curse on the next person to insult my creator, J K Rowling, a fine woman and the only muggle I have any time for. You have been warned.

Avatar Image says:

As someone has already mentioned, it’s not whether you believe gayness is right or wrong. The fact remains that there are gay people in the world. “Sheltering” people is just dumb. All sorts of sex and violence are on TV, yet the anti-gay people who want to “shelter” aren’t campaigning against them.

Avatar Image says:

The news of Dumbledore’s homosexuality did sadden me. Because it is now being used to politicize the books. Once again there is a division between the political correct crowd and those who believe homosexuality to be wrong. It does make Dumbledore even more of a tragic figure, and clarifies the theme of unrequitted love. It gives Snape and Dumbledore more of an understanding. JKR as always has style and class.

Avatar Image says:

We all loved Dumbledore because he generously provided a home and love to those who were ostracized by society. He gave Hagrid a home even after he had been expelled, and when children’s parents learned that a half-giant was working at the school, Dumbledore defended him. Likewise, he ensured the safety of Lupin; he planted the Whomping Willow to protect Lupin from others during his “time of the month,” he employed him in the Order of the Phoenix, and yet again, he defended his teacher after parents learned of a non-normal staff member. Dumbledore showed love and respect for all types of living creatures (mermaids, centaurs, muggles and muggle-borns, orphans, and more). Dumbledore even continued to believe that there was good in people when all evidence pointed to the contrary (consider Malfoy). If anything, I believe this revelation about Dumbledore explains a little something his willingness to open his heart.

Can’t we follow Dumbledore’s example? Can’t we love people for the goodness of their soul? Please, let us not become these alarmist parents who dismissed muggle-borns, werewolves, or whatever else for their differences.

Avatar Image says:

Why is this still being debated over?? Why dont we all figure a solution?? All of the true HP fans that believe being predjudice is wrong and dont want bigotry part of a site we love so much tell these bigots to stop coming here and posting. Thats the problem isnt it? If you hate HP now so much and you’ve lost respect in JK and DD and the entire series then GO THEN! Be happy in your close-minded lives where everything you dont agree with you ignore its a part of normal everyday life. Just stop coming here and letting us know how horrible you are! You hate gays and thats the bottom line. Theres no way around it, period.

Avatar Image says:

Typical – everyone jumps on the band wagon. In my opinion innappropriate for a childrens book where sexuality of any kind should not be a consideration.

Avatar Image says:

Did I miss a chapter containing gay exotic literature or are most people over reacting? Anyone who has read the books and still discriminate against race,sexuality or religion has clearly missed the plot,how is it that children understand the plotline that it is wrong to discriminate but their parents dont…Live and let live.JK did not force a life style down anyones throat she simply mentioned that DD is gay and that isn’t even in the books.Sorry to burst the parent’s bubble but most 8 year olds know what sex is and some 10 year olds are having sex,I think that should be adressed rather than a fictional character being gay

Avatar Image says:

Its a sad day when a writer who has made billions from parents who bought her books to wait until the end of the series to announce such a stupid thing. My children know its morally wrong to be gay, and God will judge those people, not us. Yet I cant help that I was very happy to hear my 11 and 9 year old sons say that they would never read Harry Potter again if this is the way she wished to end it. As my oldest son said, that was just stupid for her to say that. I didnt force that opinion on them, they have it all by themselves. Even little kids know she just wanted to make more money, so she created a fuss so the talk of Harry Potter wouldnt fade out. SAD SAD SAD JK.

Avatar Image says:

That’s excellent, Jo! As shown by the extensive amount of ‘ships from our fan-fictions—we knew at least one was gay! She is right to say this will spark some fan-fiction.

I feel as though I should reread the books…again… and see if I can pick up on some things. :)

im sure Mallory will have a wonderful time with this though…

-M-B-W

Avatar Image says:

Ok, I was going to stay out of this, but here I go. To anyone who is wondering why she didn’t write (more) about Dumbledore being gay in the book: IT WASN’T ABOUT HIM!! What, you want a scene where Dumbledore is telling Harry about horcruxes and then goes “And by the way, I’m gay”? If Harry was gay, we would have known, as he was indeed a central character, and not a shadowy puppet master pulling the strings. And as far as Jo now saying it was an important plot point, only his relationship with someone who turned out to be a bad guy is relevant. The fact that Dumbledore was in love with him only helps that part of the plot make sense. And (again) if she had hinted at him being gay all along, then we would have known immediately what the story was between them. Sheesh! You’re the same people that like to see a whole movie in a 2 minute trailer.

Avatar Image says:

Please….just some PC crap that someone must have pushed her to. If he were homosexual, why not put it in one of the 7 books to be a inspiration to others? Why not Snape? or Black?

I understand they’re her characters, but this just smacks of PC back-tracking.

Avatar Image says:

I think any discussion of sexuality rather straight or homosexual in a childs book to be highly inapropriate. And it was not an important part of the story. She refuses to answer some questions and should have refused this one. It is unimportant to the books and should not be an issue. But she did it to cause debate not just to answer a question. And she did it to draw back attention and get HP in the news. I do not really care if he was gay or not. But this is a sad attempt by JR, in my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

I would like to set the record strait. Dumbledore was like a father to me. He loved me and I loved him. He was a great man, I named my second son after him for merlin’s sake! Dumbledore said that Love was a wonderful yet terrible power and now I understand what he meant more then ever. So lay of him and get a life!

H. Potter

Avatar Image says:

But Dumbledore is a fictional character. How is it possible to have a sexual preference? Well, easy enough. I’ve conceived of a story wherein Dumbledore is reformed as he comes to terms with his childhood molestation at the hands of a Hogwarts headmaster. This story teaches that life’s challenges and psychological harms can be undone.

Avatar Image says:

Why reveal anything about the characters now that the story is completed? Nothing like controversy to get some additional media attention.

Avatar Image says:

P.S. This new revelation has NOT changed the way I felt about Dumbledore. I still like him even if his past is a little rocky b/c of Harry (raising him as a pig for slaughter?! I guess), he changed and that’s why I respect him as a character. Jo Rowling has written him beautifully. I respect her and her decision.

Avatar Image says:

Im straight.. and think this is wonderful.

If ANY of you are being discriminatory about this…and suddenly wont read the series… or now hate Dumbledore… or now have lost respect for JKR because of it… then you have learned nothing, NOTHING from reading harry potter.

.period.

One of the main themes in the Harry Potter series is that it is wrong to discriminate…that one person isn’t better than another… that one thing about you makes you earn less respect.

Reread the books people. Get over it.

double woot for JKR.

Avatar Image says:

it was somewhat non necessary to say it in the book, the plot didn’t required it. then someone asked a question and jkr ansewed. Like someone said, “end of story, goodbye”

I have a rare disease, that make me not normal to some. so what ? I’m different and proud of it :) I am who I want to be, not what other would want me to be.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Susan and Christine. She is just trying to create media attention.

Avatar Image says:

as a parent of 3 wonderful kids (12,16 and 17), niece of a gay uncle, cousin to a couple of gay PEOPLE, I say, People are people. Dumbledore is a character and this character taught tolerance and understanding to harry and co. JKR knows her characters better than anyone. My kids have known about homosexuality since they were young-do I think their knowledge is going to ‘turn’ them gay-heck no! you either are or you aren’t, PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE, people. Let this go, there are much bigger things to worry about in life, there’s an unjust war happening in Iraq for one.

Avatar Image says:

@ patronous potter & Celia Yes, I read Jo’s interview on this blog and I know that Jo never mentioned something like that. I don’t understand where the Japanese press get that idea from. Perhaps some US media report? Or just mistranslation? I don’t know…but I’m really disgusted that people are now talking about DD as if he were a dirty old man who were trying to lure young boys. Really, really, disgusting.

When I first read the book 7, I thought the relationship between GW and DD was a bit strange. So I’m very pleased to hear that DD was in love with the evil Grindelwald. I thought it’s really convincing and I loved him more because of his tragedy and his weakness.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t want any part of what I typed crossed over—I don’t know why that happened.

Avatar Image says:

I am think JKR might sell MORE books now that Dumbledore is out of the closet. To all those who are disappointed… mail your HP books to me. I’ll take them!

• BRAVO JO *

And would PLEASE the non Harry Potter Fans leave the Leaky Cauldron Website…Thank you

This used to to be a Harry Potter Website – everyone was friendly and respected each other’s opinion!

Leave us alone – so we can return to normality!!

Avatar Image says:

You know this is a wonderful opportunity to discuss and enlighten. For those who don’t understand homosexuality, by browbeating them into silence, you lose the chance to shed some light on it. But if people can’t speak their minds freely, then you lose an opportunity to make a difference in thier mindset.

A cornucopia of love. ♥

Avatar Image says:

So Gind was evil and he was gay. And when DD had evil tendancies he was gay. But when he stoped being gay he turned good and killed the evil gay wizard. I think that is a horrible thing for JK to write. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual. She is a truely evil woman after only profits.

Avatar Image says:

I think she said Dumbledore was gay. We don’t know that Grindlewald was too. She said it was an infatuation which suggests it was one-sided.

Avatar Image says:

@ VICKY: Sexuality of anykind should NOT be considered???? First of all, NOT a children’s book. Children read it because it appeals to everyone. It’s Universal so it offers stuff for everyone. Second of All, you mean HOMOsexuality should not be considered because Books 3-7 all Have sexuality in them! It’s just HETEROsexuality, which Of course makes everything okay. Book 3: Harry gets his crush on Cho. Book 4: It’s full of sexuality! Book 5: Again Full of it! Harry even KISSES a girl. Book 6: The WHOLE book is about sexuality! Book 7: Again Full of sexuality. Maybe you missed all of those sexual references Greyback kept making about Hermione!! The stuff about Dumbledor isn’t even in the book. And Dumbledore did NOT have a gay relationship with Grindelwald. He wanted too, because he was infatuated and intrigued by him. BUT Grindelwald DID NOT share those feelings!

Posted by Dumble on October 23, 2007 @ 01:50 PM

you that is another thing. I don’t know why gays are happy about this. She completely destoryed DD’s good character in book 7, then she reveals him as gay.

Avatar Image says:

The reason that I am disgusted by JKR’s decision to “bring out” DD is the idea of changing/developing characters of a series that has already been completed and published. As a student of literature I find this both irresponsible and ,as many others have said, cowardly. I have not lost respect for DD, but my respect for JKR is all but gone. An author changing characters of a finished book is not done! It should not be done!

However, because this is a post publication developement I believe it is up to the individual reader to decide if they even want to accept this developement on the character of DD. Personally as a fifth grade teacher one of the reasons why I enjoyed this fantastical series was that sexuality was not an issue for the characters, thus keeping the books simpler and truly more enjoyable, especially for kids. In our current society we and our children are continually bombarded by sexuality, so it would be nice to keep some things, like childrens’ literature, free from the subject. Because sex complicates everything, and kids have no need for that complication.

In conclusion, please don’t worry so much about this new developement, for it is only JKR’s opinion. You as the readers have the choice to accept this idea about DD or completely disregard it, because it is really not in the book. In my opinion, please disregard it, and let the HP series along with its characters remain as they are written in their fantastical world free of sexual issues.

Avatar Image says:

I just heard news about another revelation from JKR:

She said the Whomping Willow works nights as a DOMINATRIX!!!!!

Go Willow!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

JK has taken something that has held a very special . . . almost magical place in our lives for the past 7 years . . . something we could turn to to escape the assault of moral decline and corruption that pervades our lives . . . and she has unceremoniously ripped that from our very bosoms . . .

Whitney = Uncle Vernon + Malfoy

Avatar Image says:

How does the whomping willow fit into that leather outfit. I think this report is false.

Avatar Image says:

I burst out laughing when I read the headline.

I want to give her a hug for putting up with all of this (Lots of other reasons too, but this one is the most pertinent at the moment).

Avatar Image says:

@ber: she didn’t destroy Dumbledore’s good character all that stuff in book 7 happened like almost 100 years previously. And JKR said she has ALWAYS known Dumbledore was GAY meaning. He was gay when she was writing books 1-6 as well as book 7. So your argument makes no sense. And Grindelwald was NOT Gay. Dumbledore was infatuated with Grindelwald because of the way his mind worked and because both of them shared the same ambitions. And Dumbledore could have convinced himself that he was in love, because he was sooo intrigued by Grindelwald. But I don’t think Grindelwald shared those same feelings.

Avatar Image says:

@ Mr. Blair So, do you perhaps think Tolkien is the worst author in history? He made a crazy amount of character development after the Lord of the Rings books are completed. Just curious…

Avatar Image says:

”” The reason that I am disgusted by JKR’s decision to “bring out” DD is the idea of changing/developing characters of a series that has already been completed and published. ”” Then jkr saying after the book that harry was an auror is no good either ? it’s all stuff she had left out, but don’t means she made it up afterwards.

Avatar Image says:

Quite frankly I’m surprised that Dumbledore has been declared gay. I never once got the idea he was. He appeared to me to be a gentleman who simply had not found the woman he needed but made his life worth while anyway. And as far as him liking Harry, I felt it was a natural thing. He was infatuated with Harry but I didn’t feel it was because of gayness. Instead, I felt it was because of who Harry was. The character of Dumbledore gave me the feeling that he knew already what Harry could be because of the little guy’s incounter he already had with Voldemort. And being the kind of person Dumbledore was, and being such a genius, he would have recognized Harry’s potential. That, in itself, would have excited Dumbledore. And as far as his relationship with Grindewald, that too, would have excited a genius type person without engaging in any gay feelings. It would simply have been a kindred spirit with whom Dumbledore could relate. After all, It’s not every day a genius runs into another. So I am very surprised to learn Dumbledore is now considered gay.

Avatar Image says:

@ Celia. Fist how do you know she always knew DD was gay. Just because she said so? She said that only to validate her point. And her point was to get more press. Two how do you know Grind was not gay. She never said he was not. She never said those feelings were not returned. Stop making stuff up. Thank you. Drive through

Avatar Image says:

Good grief, has the world gone mad overnight? I was under the impression that the world was now a tolerant place but obviously I was quite deluded! Is the heart surgeon that saves your daughters life any less a person because he’s gay? The Doctor who cures cancer? The artist who’s painting is hanging on your wall?? It is biggots like those that have commented here that make young people afraid to believe in themselves and their own abilities for fear of oppression. Good on Jo for tackling these issues head on. Despite which, the books are quite literally an amazing read.Would the homophobes here present please submit their seven books that have been made into one of the most successful film series for our consideration…

Avatar Image says:

will people PLEASE STOP SAYING JKR IS GREEDY SHE – IS – NOT!!!!!!!! if there is a