Director Guillermo Del Toro Would be Interested in “Deathly Hallows” Film

121

Oct 26, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Direction Guillermo Del Toro has given a new interview to MTV where he speaks again of his interest in possibly helming a Harry Potter film, in particular the film adaptation of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” Mr. Del Toro, who was approached for Prisoner of Azkaban (and ultimately directed by his good friend Alfonso Cuaron) says he might still make a Harry Potter movie, providing Warner Brothers lets him make the movie as he sees fit and on his own terms.

“They came to me once, for the third one’ he remembered of “The Prisoner of Azkaban”. “I’ve read them all, and when I read the books before the movies were done, I always pictured Charles Dickens – they were very Dickens-ian. The situation of Harry Potter reminded me a lot of Pip from ˜Great Expectations’. I saw them as deeper, more creaky, more corroded; then [the stories] were textured very differently when the first two movies came out. They were so bright and happy and full of light, that I wasn’t interested.”

After seeing the last few films, however, the director famed for a shadowy imagination and morally ambiguous characters has begun to reconsider. “They seem to be getting eerie and darker ¦ If they come back to me, I’ll think about it.”

As announced previously, the film version of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” is set to go into production sometime in 2009, with a release slated for sometime in 2010.

87 Responses to Director Guillermo Del Toro Would be Interested in “Deathly Hallows” Film

Avatar Image says:

Hmmmm…I’m not sure. Why not stick with David Yates?

And of course the first two films were somewhat happy and bright, because voldemort wasn’t fully back!

Avatar Image says:

I’d prefer to see Yates finish of the series.

Avatar Image says:

Oh man, I HOPE Guillermo Del Toro directs Deathly Hallows! He’s a great filmmaker, I think he could do it justice.

Avatar Image says:

tough!!! Should have taken his oppurtunity when it came calling. Why these directors think they can cherry pick just because the the directors who said yes had the courage of their convictions and have taken the films to a darker level. I also get fed up with John Williams hinting he wants to score the final film. His scores where half hearted at the best of times…to busy waiting for Speilberg to call. David Yates will more than likely get first refusal.

Avatar Image says:

Oh please have him come on board!!! The movie would be dynamic!!! I love Yates, but the opportunity for Del Toro to finish it off would be just superb.

Avatar Image says:

@jain: I completely agree with you. If Del Toro didn’t see what made HP so great even with the first two films, I don’t think he really understands Harry Potter and would rather see someone who understands the characters stay to direct.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm…... Not so sure. This part put me edge: “Mr. Del Toro… says he might still make a Harry Potter movie, providing Warner Brothers lets him make the movie as he sees fit and on his own terms.”

I’d have to look up what movies he has directed before…

Avatar Image says:

If they can’t stick with David Yates he would absolutely be my next choice! Anyone who’s seen Pan’s Labrynth must surely agree ^^

Avatar Image says:

Yeah he should’ve taken it when he got asked too. I don’t even know what movies he did. But i say either bring back Yates or Alfonso because they both directed my 2 favourite HP’s into movies POA,and OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

I felt Pan’s Labyrinth was highly over rated. It was good, but people made it out to be something great. Maybe I went into it having to high expectations.

Avatar Image says:

Oh he did Pans Labrynth i didn’t know he did. But i still say David Yates,or Alfonso Cuaron should direct the Deathly Hallows, which is my 3rd fave HP book.

Oh! Oh! Pleeeeeeasseeee

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think some of you guys are reading properly. He read the books and he felt the dark edge since the first book. Then Columbus did the first movie and it completely contradicted his feel of the books. That turned him off. Del Toro should’ve directed since day 1. PS/SS and COS would’ve been so much better and actually multi-dimensional.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with those who would like to see Yates finish the films. I really like what he did with the 5th movie, and am expecting great things from the 6th movie. If he can bring out the lighter moments in book 6 and balance the darker ones with those, then he’s the man. Considering that Jo Rowling has said that book 6 and 7 are like one big huge story put together, having the same director do both makes sense. It allows for continuity of thought, presentation…and vision. I think it would be ridiculous to have a completely new director for the most important movie in the entire series.

Avatar Image says:

I think Guillermo Del Toro is a fantastic director but I would NOT want him directing DH. He’s the sort that I feel would deviate too far from the canon and I want the movies to remain as close to the books as possible.

Avatar Image says:

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Alfonso to come back. I will be so sad if he doesn’t do DH :( But if he can’t come back, I’d be happy with Yates. He did a good job with OotP. I think some of you are right that it would be really risky to have a completely new director come in for the last movie… I don’t know, it just wouldn’t feel right somehow. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens…

Avatar Image says:

Yeah i don’t want him to direct DH. I didnt like Pans Labyrinth much, i thought it would be better then that, but it really didn’t live up to my expectations. So yeah bring back Yates or Alfonso.

Avatar Image says:

OMG! Yes, do it Guillermo! Oh gad, I can already see the masterpiece that DH would be if he directed it!

And if not him, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for his buddy Alfonso. Seriously, either of the two would make the perfect choice, the perfect tool for the closing of this movie series. :D

Avatar Image says:

Guillermo would be AWESOME!!! I absolutely LOVED Pan’s Labyrinth, it’s one of my favorite films of all time, and I really love his style and cinematography. He loves the books, and he would do them justice. So for the seventh, I would probably be happy with Guillermo, Alfonso Cuaron, or David Yates again. Go to Guillermo, Warner Brothers!!

Avatar Image says:

And Bert I COMPLETELY agree with you, I love that these two, Del Toro and Cuaron, are fans of the books, they’re read them…THAT is the kind of person who they should have gotten for ALL the movies!

Avatar Image says:

Toro’s movies really aren’t my style… but hey, this is Harry Potter. He could produce an unseen masterpiece out of it.

Avatar Image says:

Guillermo Del Toro would be perfect! If you have seen his movies like “The Devil’s Backbone” and “Pan’s Labyrinth,” you know he’ll make the deaths in book 7 agonizingly emotional and he’ll take the fantasy elements seriously.

I actually thought of Del Toro when I read Deathly Hallows. I hope he directs!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah he could since it is really dark,but i don’t know if i want him to direct DH. I wasn’t that fond of Pans Labyrinth, cause it didn’t live up to what i thought it would be. I mean the ending was cool and all,but i just didn’t like it as much as i thought i would, from when i saw the previews.

Avatar Image says:

I feel that since Chris Columbus was exhausted after making 2 HP films in a row, the same feeling might come over Yates as well (but hey who knows). Though I loved Pan’s Labyrinth, it was beautifully done and if Del Toro could bring that to DH, it would be amazing.

Avatar Image says:

He should do it! Yes, give him total control (except over J.K. Rowling).

He’s got an eye for the magical world and he’s great with actors. I think he’s the man for the job. Even by taking the story into an epic scale. Since the story isn’t in Hogwarts until very late, he can use the British landscape and just give it an epic feel. The image of Bathilda melting and becoming Nagini to me has something that only del Toro can bring to life. Get him, his crew, and a new screenwriter. We’ll be set. I hope he makes into 3 or 5 hours.

Avatar Image says:

I have yet to see Pan’s Labyrinth, but I loved what Del Toro did with Hellboy. I think he would do a great job with DH, but by now I think it might be too awkward to bring in a new vision mid-stream. Yates or Cuaron get my vote by default, but if they would have conviced DT that it was okay to stray from the Columbus vision and gotten him onto Azkaban it would have been incredible.

Avatar Image says:

Del Toro has an extremely dark vision and can really strap you on to a dramatic, shocking and emotional rollercoaster ride which he demonstrated magnificently in Pans Labrynth. Deathly hallows does mirror such intensity which Del Toro is a master of. If he directs, it will be critics favourite, I am sure. But will it be a general public favourite or indeed a fan’s? I think if Del Toro directs, it will be a very intense film and certainly a version I would love to watch but what I fear is that he may take the movie off its steady track that was already built upon by the first 6 films and there is one element of Del Toro’s direction that I dont think he has proved himself in is humour. It does not matter how intense a story is, there must always be a touch of humour. I fell he lacks that and is will be the only reason I would not vote Del toro. I dont think WB will ask him again as he appears to be someone who will cite a lot of creative differences during production and WB wouldn’t want such “episodes”. So for now, I think I will like to stay with David Yates vision (we have one HBP to judge him further!).

But I do urge people to see Pan’s Labrynth but its not a film for small children. Its 18 rated for VERY good reason ! some scenes are extremely violent, despite it childlike fantasy setting.

Avatar Image says:

As soon as clicked post, I saw the Kanadex comment on Hellboy! I forgot he directed hellboy which was a really fun film. No where in league with Pan’s but what i did enjoy about hellboy was the Humour! So Del can do humour contrary to my previous post!

Deathly Hallows book was different to the rest of the series, it was not just one but several gears up into dark vision territory – Nazi like occupation, deaths scattered through out etc. On second thoughts now, I think Del Toro would be my choice but hey I dont care in the end who they get, as long as they know their craft and can entertain us for 2 and a half hours (or make that 4 hours ;)

Avatar Image says:

I hope he doesn’t direct. We could have another PoA massacare. I hope they stick with David Yates….he did very good at adapting the longest book into a movie, he tries as hard as he can to stay faithful to the text and in terms of getting good acting performances he’s the best.

Avatar Image says:

I finally saw Pan’s Labyrinth and it was OK. Parts of it were still unclear and I’d hate to see a director “make it his own” by making Deathly Hallows in that vein.

I’m happy with Yates. He does seem to have a good understanding of the books and how to translate that to a movie, which is no easy task.

Someone mentioned that Cuaron was a fan of the books? I don’t think he’d read them at all until he was approached about directing. That hardly makes him a fan. And his vision, aside from all the clocks to show the importance of time, left me highly irritated. I don’t want to see the same thing happen with Deathly Hallows.

I still want Alfonso.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, this is OT, but I can’t figure out why my avatar isn’t showing. I checked Gravatar (or whatever it is) and they still show it there, but none of my posts have it anymore.

Weird.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah i wouldnt want a director to mess it up and not have any clue as to what is going on it. I say David Yates and Alfonso will be the best for Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

“As he sees fit and on his own terms”?

I think that’s a deal breaker right there.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah big deal breaker, you can’t take control over HP, that’s why spielberg didn’t get to direct. You have to remain faithful to the books or your arse is out of there.

Avatar Image says:

NO NO NO NO… What a mistake to get someone who wants to direct “on their own terms”...This is not that kind of movie. The director owes somewhat to give the loyal fans something close to what Jo intended…not take off and make it Dickens…or something that will scare the crap out of my children. I am believe that Alfonso would do a brilliant job, and I’m sure Yates would as well. I LOVED PoA the most and would love to see what could be done by ALfonso with DH. How irritating that he complains about the lightness of the first movies…They are supposed to be light, so that we may know why the darkness in the next 4 or 5 books (depending on the time each reader feels the darkness creeping in) is so bad. I have high hopes for the next two movies!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, after hearing this I’m not quite sure whether I would prefer Yates or Del Toro. My main concern would be that Del Toro would completely change the tone (but then again, I found it nice to have differnt directors to the movies. I thought Chris Colombus was getting stale after CoS). Then again, I would love to see Del Toro’s vision. I saw Pan’s Labyrinth and loved it, and all the dark moments in DH like the visions, Bathilda turning into a snake, deaths, etc. would be done in a fitting, dark manner that would be just below a R rating (actually he could take it easily into an R rating). The one weakness I found with Del Toro’s Pan’s Labyrinth was the humor, it was nowhere which bothered me. On the other hand, we have Yates who successfully directed OotP, but failed (in my opinion) in making the one minute fight scene he said would be the biggest wizard battle in history. Even though I thought the ending was to little of a pay off, he got a lot of things right making it my second favorite behind GoF. Plus, if he succeeds in creating a great HBP, then it would be fantastic to have a real sence of continuity from the point of Voldemort’s return starting in OotP, to the end of the series (which reminds me of how harry stated calling Peter “Wormtail” in GoF even though he only called him Peter in PoA).

Avatar Image says:

I think that he would make an AWESOME director for Deathly Hallows! He is amazing, Pan’s Labyrinth was a cinematic treat, though very disturbing, which is something we definitely see in Deathly Hallows. I think, however, it may be best just to have Yates finish it off, just for consistency.

Avatar Image says:

I feel that Yates would be a very safe choice, but not really inspired choice. He makes really good films, but I thought it mist some visual magic. Del Toro Would be a very exciting choice, but I’m afraid he wouldn’t handle the very sensitive material too well. Alfonso would be a good choice. We know what to expect from him and he’s got style (just like dumbledore)

YES YES YES YES YES. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

YES, PLEASE!

Avatar Image says:

He had his chance. I say we keep David Yates.

Avatar Image says:

“On his own terms”? NO, thank you. The movies have suffered because of all the director changes, and we certainly don’t need anyone that arrogant. Yates has done a good job, so I say keep him. I agree that Yates most likely has right of first refusal, so hopefully he’ll take it. He might burn out like Columbus did (though I loved the first two movies!), but let’s face it: Deathly Hallows is the finale and the one everybody wants. It’d be hard to say no.

Avatar Image says:

I think he’s a great director. I’ve only seen Pan’s Labyrinth and it was a great film. Very well made. But I really want Alfonso Cuaron to direct another HP film. and seeing as there is only one film left, then I would really like him to do that one. David Yates obviously has the first dibs on directing movie 7, but if he declines they will probably go to Mike Newell and then to Cuaron, and then Chris Columbus and then they will seek out new directors and since they’ve already asked Del Toro then I’m sure he will be one of the first people they go to. And if he’s picked then I’m sure they will do a good job.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, for all you worrying about the fact that he said that the first ones were tooo light hearted and happy: He was talking about how the movie was made, seeing how the books have a dark edge from the first novel, and the movie completely ignored the topic of death pushed away into a corner until there was some dialogue about harry’s parents dying, and then a teeeny little more in the mirror of erised, and a frustratingly tinytinytiny emphasis on it in the end.

Avatar Image says:

1 thing. 1 guy. peter jackson! y not. lord of the rings is a similar sort of story. and we all saw what he did with those. epics, probably the best movies ever. they have heart, passion, darkness, cracking soundtracks, and effects.

we have one the best, if not the best story here, made for us by the genious j.k, y not for the last. it may just be the best movie. its all weve needed, and its been 5 films so far, and lets all be honest, theyve been good, but never lived up to the potential or hype.

i say peter jackson is the missing piece. what ya think peeples?

Avatar Image says:

I think he would be great!! I loved Pan’s Labyrinth…just the right amount of whimsy and darkness. He did such a great job with the actors of Pan’s Labyrinth that I’d really like to see how the actors would be if he took over as director of DH.

Avatar Image says:

The third film was horrible, and if Del Toro is anything like Cuaron, then it’s a big fat NO for me.

Avatar Image says:

Argh. He seems like a great director, but I would be really upset if anyone did it than David Yates. After seeing the 5th film I think he is PERFECT for the 7th film. I really, really want him to do it.

Avatar Image says:

Pan’s Labyrinth aside, he did brilliant work on the movie of Hellboy. And why not David Yates? Hm, gee, I don’t know, maybe get a movie that doesn’t feel rushed? Just sayin’.

Avatar Image says:

@Witchchylde—hmmm, maybe the fifth book was the longest book??? Hmmm, maybe there was so much stuff to cover?? Hmmmm.. maybe it has nothing to do with the director, considering you didn’t mention any actual directorial faults? Hmmmm… yeah like any other director would have not rushed it.

Avatar Image says:

But Gart, as much as I loved the fifth film to drag my whole reluctant-non-harry-potter-fans-family to see it twice for every other week of the summer, I felt it kinda rushed too… i mean if they weren’t going to include some of the subplots of the fifth film, they might as well explain stuff more clearly, like that end scene with dumbledore explaining stuff to (sadly wimpier than the book verision) harry (although I was joyous to know that they kicked the SPEW stuff out =D). Before you bombard me with lovely arguing comments, I’d like to also make it clear to other people that the rushing is not Yates’ fault, but the Editor he’s worked with on the film. Another thing that affectsthe “rushing sequence” is that probably Warner Bro.s was pressuring HP5 to get shorter in running length because critics and people were crying out for their numb bums sitting in three hours of loud noise.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry that I have to disagree with the Yates supporters here, yet I have to disagree. Del Toro did such a wonderful job with Pan’s Labyrinth, even though it was a dark, R rated film. I enjoyed his work so on Hellboy, that I could see Del Toro tackling DH. Sorry, but the films have to stand on their own merrits, as separate from the books, which is why I still consider Azkaban the best of the film franchises.

Avatar Image says:

chilcatt- that’s exactly what I should have said. It is the editor’s fault and WB’s. But don’t blame it on Yates.

Avatar Image says:

@Matt- I love Yates but I would love Del Toro even more. The thing is, Yates might be best for continuity since he is doing HBP and that is kind of like part 1 of DH. Del Toro would be awesome though. He would know how to make DH terrifying and real.

Avatar Image says:

“As he sees fit and on his own terms”… Yeah? NO! Cuaron did “The Little Princess” beautifully, and then slaughtered PoA. Del Toro did an amazing movie with “Pan’s Labyrinth”, but I’m not willing to risk the final HP on Cuaron’s “good friend”... I didn’t see happiness and light with SS/PS and CoS, I saw a young boy figuring things out. There was going to be SOME innocence to it. Harry wasn’t completely jaded yet… But after the film destruction of my favorite book in the series, I am.

Avatar Image says:

Please NO! There is no reason to make DH into a horror movie, which Del Toro would do (his terms). Also, don’t bring back Cuaron as he made the least ‘Potter’ movie of the five that have been released so far. The last movie is far too important to have someone taking massive liberties with!

Avatar Image says:

I’m with you imy, PETER JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Its kind of obvious to me that Del Toro Wants to diect the last film and hopes WB hears him as he speaks publicly about it. But he shoots himself in the foot by saying “he wants to direct it on his own terms” which gives an impression to WB that he will be difficult to work with. before Del Toro decides whether he wants to direct it or not, why doesn’t he ask his close friend Alfonso how much free reign WB gave him. Then Del Toro can decide whether he wants to do it or not (if WB ask him).

Avatar Image says:

Will, you comments are rather similar to mine on the first page regards to the humour. But someone else mentioned Hellboy which I plain forgot he directed and that had lots of humour in abundance!

Avatar Image says:

“says he might still make a Harry Potter movie, providing Warner Brothers lets him make the movie as he sees fit and on his own terms.”

Warning! Egomaniac alert! Egomaniac alert! Warning!

Deathly Hallows is the 7th and final part of a series, do we really need another Alfonso “Shrunken Heads” Cuaron to reimmagine everything? Especially as the paying public liked POA the least. Deathly Hallows needs a safe pair of hands not an arty director.

Avatar Image says:

I really don’t like what Yates did to the series, so it would be really cool if either Guillermo or Alfonso got to make the 7th one.

in particular the film adaptation of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Well there aren’t many others for him to choose from are there? XD

Anyway, as long as it’s not Alfonso, Peter Jackson or Tim Burton I’ll be happy!

Avatar Image says:

It’s a bit of an idiotic statement… after all, Cuaron clearly also had things in mind – and he just did it, thereby allowing other people to sit up and sit the films as more than just a shiny kid’s thing. If Del Toro didn’t have the courage to pave the way back with PoA, it’s a bit late to come weeping back now.

Having said that, I adored Pan’s Labyrinth and thought it was quite beautiful. So it could be nice to have him on board (although I’m still rooting for Shymalan).

Avatar Image says:

I really don’t understand the ‘safe’ argument of Yates. Is safety really what you’re looking for in a good movie? O.o It’s ART, for Merlin’s sake.

Avatar Image says:

oh god please no!! Pan was great but this guy doesnt know a thing about harry potter, and he strikes me as someone who will not b phased a second to sacrafice story.

Avatar Image says:

@Quibbler- Wrong! The paying public liked Chamber of Secrets the lest. Sequels’ money in the bo office is determined by the predecesor. PoA made the leas because CoS sucked. GoF made a lot because of PoA. CoS didn’t make anywhere near as much as SS because SS sucked.

Avatar Image says:

djm19- how does he not know anything about HP? He said he read all the books even before the first 2 were released. They weren’t how he imagined them so he got turned off.

Avatar Image says:

To all those wanting Peter Jackson- What’s wrong with you? He tossed aside HP saying that “it was good for kids”. Yay, sounds like a guy who would do it justice.

NO! Keep Yates.

Avatar Image says:

Del Toro is a BRILLIANT director! I hope he gets it. Either him or bring back Cuaron! Yates as a last resort, IMO.

Avatar Image says:

Even though I agree with Bert, but we are forgetting Mike Newell. I think that GoF was probably the scariest and i think it was the closest to reality that dat one cud get, i dont kno abt the others, but, his directions were perfect.I wish we have him back as, he can put the true horror in the last one coz, i was a bit dissapointed in OOTP (Sorry) coz, it wasn’t that dark, which i felt when i read the book.The Final battle, or sirius’ death, there was always something missing, like more cud hav been there. Moreover, in GoF, I was equally terrified at Voldy’s return, cried a river at Ced’s death, it was all so real. And even, in HBP, we’re not getting back our ol’ Tom Riddle.So there’s lots of compromises and a whole new Villain to adapt ourselves to. Even the Phelp twins are growing up and I seriously dont want them replaced in DH! PLEASE DON’T!!! So, to do proper justice, either this new director shud b der, or Newell. The film should be dark and realistic.

Avatar Image says:

But even if Del Toro wanted to change the movie so much HE WOULDN”T BE ABLE TO. because jk rowling’s going to help out on the last films now that she’s done with the books. she has the right to change anything wrong in the flow of the story so that it won’t ruin her books entirely.

Avatar Image says:

aaTmaHira, IMO Gof wasn’t scary at all, unless someone’s an unsuspecting five year old that doesn’t know what is going on in the movie. The problem was the overly used sound effect used whenever the dark mark appeared, when crouch died, when they were comparing harry’s cut on his arm to Crouch Jr.’s dark Mark, etc. Most of it was funny enough (no complaint, cuz i like it) to forget the scary moments, and the action was sluggish in some parts.

Avatar Image says:

you can’t be serious. oopt was a major disappointment. it didn’t live up to the hype and there were to many lines from the book, which made everything to predictable. the action was short and to messy, even grawp wasn’t that believable. alot of stuff was kept in just for the sake of it, and important things that were needed to be kept in only had a short time on screen. alfonso brought a more credible and less childish feel to harry potter. mike followed alfonso after that brought the same feel, making poa and gof two very similar films in style. oopt had a horrible screen play writer and the musical score was not that bad; i prefer john williams. oopt’s ending left me annoyed particularly the scenes in dumbledore office and the way harry dealed with sirius’s death. we got to remember that the films and books are two entirely different things. alfonso as 1st choice for dh and mike newell as 2nd. either of them would be great or maybe even both.

Avatar Image says:

Yates hasn’t agreed to do DH but I think he has the stamina and will to go for the final one, for several reasons:

1- It’s the last one. It’s as big and important as the first one. 2- He was a TV director who’s doing major films now. What other project could possibly top this? 3- Columbus was criticized for his vision and he probably didn’t feel all that comfortable working in a third movie. Not so with Yates, who probably still has some stamina left. 4- Yates is british, so his whole family lives there.

If HBP is succesful, I see no reason to change him unless he wants out.

Avatar Image says:

@JOHN: I’m too tired to write everything I want to say, but are you serious? You didn’t like the lines taken from the books? That’s one thing I LOVE about the movies: they are loyal to Jo’s written word!!!!!

I loved OotP because of David Yates’ direction and vision. Sure, things were cut – but did we really need ALL 20 or so pages of Hagrid talking about his time with the giants, etc? I liked how he was able to really darken the tone to match the novel AND cast some extraordinary actors for the new parts (like Imelda Staunton as Umbridge – impeccable!) I think it should be David Yates or Mike Newell (with Cuaron a close third) as director of DH…

Avatar Image says:

You know what? I loved them all! I loved each one a little more than its predecessor. I love Cuaron, Newell, and Yates. Columbus was pedestrian but I still like the movies because of the story being brought to life. Therefore, you can’t go wrong with anyone. Del Toro would be great too.

Avatar Image says:

In ootp, there was a scene where harry had to tell that facing this in real life…when you’re seconds away from murder…If you have played the video game, you’ll see that Harry there, shows a lot of emotion, convinging that this is very painful to him. But in the film, when harry said that, it was like- He just stood up and said it like he learnt it in one minute! Then there was the Sirius scene, where the veil was just like an invisible barrier. I’m not saying that’s wrong or something, but just that, there was an emotional flaw and abt GoF, that particular sound of Dark Mark, sent a lot of chills to people who watched this inside a dark hall, ie, a movie theatre with surround sounds. Newell, whereas, was able to put emotion where it was needed,from Ron’s jealousy, to the many comical dialogs, to the seriousness and danger of each tasks as they approached it. I say, if you compare GoF, with ootp, I dont think the latter was that realistic, then again, there was grawp, etc., which showed that it was a work of animation, but you cant say that with the dragons, can you?

Avatar Image says:

That’s convincing, sorry, i messed the word back there!

Avatar Image says:

I just worry that he doesn’t seem particularly passionate about the material.

Avatar Image says:

Would you rather a corporation direct or the direct’s vision? Any direct worth his salt would make a similar statement.

Avatar Image says:

Del Toro is absolutely not the man to direct DH: “If they come back to me, I’ll think about it”—doesn’t exactly sound keen, but this film requires someone who is willing to do their best at a hugely difficult task. He’s a talented director, but his work isn’t anywhere near as special as Cuaron’s.

I suppose what this means that they haven’t actually settled on a director yet. Regardless of how well Yates does with HBP - I’m expecting only above-average like OOtP - he is obviously not right for DH, which is a huge, profound, rolling adventure. Yates has a lot of strengths but he can’t direct action and he has no visual flair, and unfortunately the post people advising him for OOtP didn’t either—absolutely awful scenes with Grawp and a battle scene that should have been so much better. In DH we are going to have HUNDREDS of these scenes!

Cuarón is definitely right for DH, and obviously he is not going to be able to deviate from the basic story too much, like anyone who works on these films. I’m sure Newell too would do a really excellent job, and I hope that he gets serious consideration. I just hope Dave Heyman doesn’t stick with Yates because he’s too bored with Potter to look for anyone else.

Avatar Image says:

Quibbler (& others who hold this awful misconception):

Please stop with the shrunken heads thing! J.K. Rowling personally admitted that she loved them and wished she had written them herself. And lastly, she said they were STEVE KLOVES’ (who apparently is staying on for the 7th) idea. People, do your research!

Avatar Image says:

In the books written by JKR, Shrunken heads are only connected with the dark arts not good wizards. Kindly read the novels.

Avatar Image says:

But it turned out that Stan Shunpike was a death eater. So he might have put shrunken heads in the bus. But back to the main topic. I really think this is too much nitpicking. Every director who has helmed the series has lent their unique vision and has not destroyed the series, even Mike Newell who I liked the least did some good things. It really comes down to the script and the brilliant actors.

Kindly read this quote:

Jo Rowling: I thought the shrunken head was very funny, I really liked that. It was all done really well, and it was a really funny idea. I mean, I’ve said to Steve Kloves many times “Dammit, I wish I could’ve written them up.” You know? But obviously that’s what you want. You want to be working with people who come up with great stuff, it’s great you know, when I’m looking around for all these little bits that are completely consistent with the world. But I, you know, there you go.

Thank you Accio Quote; what a resource!

P.S.-I like the idea of Del Toro. Him, or even Alfonso (I loved “Children of Men”), would do just fine.

Write a Reply or Comment