“Deathly Hallows” Released In Germany, France

112

Oct 27, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

German and French fans of the Harry Potter series finally got their hands on translated editions of the “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” this week. The final book in author J. K. Rowling’s series went on sale at 12:01am on October 27th in German shops; many staying open to the late hour hosting release parties for fans across the country. A report from Welt Online details some release parties from across the country and contains a slide show gallery of 76 images from the book releases. In Berlin, fans, dressed in their wizarding finest, were greeted by a steam engine made to look like the Hogwarts Express to take them to a special release party. The article notes, the publishers of the book gave “Deathly Hallows” a record setting initial printing of three million copies and estimate one million copies of the book will be sold within the first 24 hours of its release.

In France, the BBC is reporting approximately 500 fans, many of them admitting to previously reading the Seventh Book in English, lined up outside a bookstore in Paris for the book’s midnight release. A second bookshop encouraged fans to dress up as characters from the books and stayed open until 1:30am handing out the long-awaited novel. The article also notes the commitment of Jean-Francois Menard, the translator of all seven Potter books, who worked ‘12 to 15 hours a day from 21 July until 15 September producing the official translation.’

Thanks to Britta and Roonwit!

37 Responses to “Deathly Hallows” Released In Germany, France

Avatar Image says:

I really love Harry POtter!

Avatar Image says:

Hello everyone ;) Just note that HP7 is released in Québec (Canada) today too! I read the book in English, but people here are dying to read it!! It’s so fun to say that I’ve already read it to them!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, today’s a big day; Germany, France, and Quebec! Let the Harry Potterness spread!

Avatar Image says:

Man I would love to live through that excitment again!

Avatar Image says:

Personally, I think it is pretty amazing. I’ve been watching all of these different releases and the excitement has NOT diminished. I really love this series. I am personally listening to the audio of Stephen Fry. I’m on Chamber of Secrets. I prefer Stephen Fry. Dale is a bit too emotional for me even though I am a crazy American… I go to sleep on my ipod… LOVE every second.

Avatar Image says:

Oops… Forgot to mention that I have the Deathly Hallows book, American audio AND British audio.. .

Avatar Image says:

glad to hear that others are getting the book in their own languages,. I too have both “audio books fo deathly hallows and uk adult and childerens books so that I can read them as I listen. must be over 20 reads now h eh he he eeeee. ( my “brother” ‘filius’ tells ne he knew most of it as he was in it. lmao)(( I am sure he has used the “oblviate” cHarms on me )) GOOD WORK ALL OF YOU AT LEAKY !! THANKS.

Avatar Image says:

I work in a library in Montreal and tomorrow is going to be a big day because we don’t have a lot of copies and there’s a lot of children who don’t buy the book and are waiting on the waiting list to read it in max. 3 weeks! ( and excuse my English ;))

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter is released in Austria, too!!! I’ve got mine already :-)

Avatar Image says:

Well, I can say one thing, the German Release party I went to sucked. I was definitely the most excited person there and I read the book about 300 times already…People here simply don’t really know how to get excited about stuff…my conclusion: I’ve got to get to Terminus…somehow…!! Anyway, yay for Harry Potter 7, at least I was excited :D

Avatar Image says:

Hi! I am french! I’ve already read the book in english and i was so excited to read it in french. Even if it’s not my favourite book of the serie, i love it!!! And as we say in French: Vive Harry Potter et Vive J.K Rowling!!!!

Avatar Image says:

As of yesterday Deathly Hallows was released in Croatia too, under the title “Harry Potter i darovi smrti” (which actually means “Death’s Gifts”... or “Gifts of Death”, whichever you prefer).

Avatar Image says:

It’s always fun to read HP again in your own language, even though you already read it in English. I always want to know how certain words and names are translated. Have fun reading over there in France, Germany, Canada, Québec, Croatia, Austria and everywhere else where translations came out!!

Avatar Image says:

Hi! Today book 7 is released in Austria too! I’ve already read it in English… therefore the German version is a bit boring :(, because the jokes are much more funnier in English!!!! For example George says he feels like Swiss Cheese – holy :( I really like the English version better!

Avatar Image says:

How cool!!!!In my country, Croatia, the book is in sale also!!!It stared yesterday in 10:26 pm!!!!!I am so happy beacuse of that!!!!!!I am going buy it today!!!I CAN´T WAIT!!!!!!:):)

Avatar Image says:

Alatarielle Sorry to hear that your Harry Potter Party was a disappointment! We in Switzerland, had life reportage the whole evening, talking about nothing else but the coming out of the last HP book. Children and grown up’s arriving at the bookstore’s, dressed as wizard ect.! Here an anecdote what happened in the city of Basel – public authorities forbid the bookstore’s to open their stores at midnight! So what did the shop owners do? They rented cars and went to the next city- and their Harry Potter readers were able to buy the latest book :-) To Insel: I cannot agree with you, saying that the German Version is a “bit boring” (mind you, I love English above all) but you must not forget that the English “sense of humor” is different in nature from German. What may sound a lot of fun in the original version, may loose its wit, when translated into another language! Young readers won’t mind and can read the books in English, once they have learned the language! And a lit tip – why don’t you listen to “Rufus Beck HP Audio’s” you thought Stephen Fry or Jim Dale are fabulous on reading HP – sure – but Rufus Beck is just unbeatable ..it is a treat to listen to him!

Avatar Image says:

Happy reading to all of you who just got your book. Come back on Leaky and chat when you are through. Love to all our Harry family.:)

Avatar Image says:

Yay, can’t wait to read Croatian translation, they are very good. I read it twice already in English so this is great excuse to read it once more. And one reason I’m trilled about French version: Hito will draw again!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

Avatar Image says:

The books were also released in AUSTRIA and SWIZZERLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

We were actually about 3,000 fans waiting oustide the Virgin & Fnac bookstores on the Champs Elysées in Paris, I was there and I can tell it lasted all night as the queue to get to the books was (unfortunately for our excitment)very slow and organized !

Avatar Image says:

I agree that Rufus Beck gives a fantastic, exciting, and powerful reading of Harry Potter. It is an amazing performance, endlessly inventive and creative. Anyone who can understand (or is learning) German should absolutely try the German audio book version!

(In Order of the Phoenix [Orden des Phoenix], check out especially his singing of the Sorting Hat’s song and reading of Lee Jordan’s Quidditch play-by-play commentary.)

Avatar Image says:

To Mistral : yeah I totally understand that the English sense of humor is different… but I like it better :), just my opinion. I’ve already thought about bying the audio book, but for me as a student it’s a bit expensive :(

Avatar Image says:

Fragesteller: Glad I found another fan of Rufus Beck :) and let’s not forget Rufus Beck’s voice when he says:” Harry mein Junge (Harry my boy) or when he is doing dear Dobby ;)I wish all our German, French and Croatians Harry Potter fans an enjoyable time, reading the seventh HP books. Have some tissue ready!

Avatar Image says:

It was released the same day as France in Tunisia too, a midnight release too, it was AMAZING :D

Avatar Image says:

@ those ones, who always repeat ” it is released in Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Quebec, Canada and elswhere too”. As you know, they didn’t release their own editions/ translations there, just the german/ french ones. I love the book. I from Germany and even din’t buy the German translation YET.

Avatar Image says:

The German book cover is very nice! So, is Rufus Beck as brilliant as Stephen Fry?

Avatar Image says:

To Siena: Yes Siena, Rufus Beck is just as brilliant as Stephen Fry:) You should listen to his doing Horace Slughorn! I myself thought Mr.Fry could not be surpassed – until I entered my sister’s car, while she was listening to “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in German. Honestley, Rufus Beck beats even Fry! The character’s seem to come to live. Or that dialoque between Dobby and Kreacher,hilarious….His Professor Snape is so awesome – you can just see Snape sneering at Harry;) Mr.Beck has his own Website- his is also an actor,producer and we can hear his voice in many dubbed animation films. As the narrator of the Harry Potter audio books he has won many prices!

Avatar Image says:

..sorry, don’t know why it crosses some sentences out. I saw that this does not only happen to me..

Avatar Image says:

I would say that, in comparison to Fry, Beck uses more distinctive voices for the different characters—each sounds REALLY different from his normal speaking voice, and very different from each other. Also, he tends to put more emotion into the voices than does Fry, as if each word is felt more deeply and sensitively. For example, his Dumbledore is much closer to that of Richard Harris than that of Michael Gambon.

So, listening to Beck is more like listening to a radio play (“Hoerspiel” in German) with an ensemble of different actors, rather than listening to someone reading a book. Beck does this deliberately, and calls it “Movies for the ears.”

Whether or not you would prefer it is somewhat a matter of taste. I have heard that some people prefer Fry to Jim Dale because they say Dale is more “emotional.” I haven’t heard Dale, so I can’t compare. I definitely prefer Beck to Fry, myself, although one does lose the authenticity of the British accents. (Beck has his own large assortment of different accents for the different voices.)

Avatar Image says:

Fragesteller, I agree with everything you said about Rufus Beck ;-). In my opinion he is the “CHOSEN” one to read the Harry Potter books! Brilliant – gifted – amazing For those you are interested about Beck go to www.rufusbeck.de

By the way, does someone know, if the HP books are only available in English and German?

Avatar Image says:

..I apologize, I meant the Audio books ;) My English leaves a lot to be desired this morning ;)

Avatar Image says:

Oh my god! can please anybody help me! elder is a wood, isn’t is? (German: Holunder) But in the German version the word elder isn’t translated! that really sucks!!! it says Elderstab!! (Stab is stick in English) that’s just not right! Elder isn’t a German word!!! What do you say?

Avatar Image says:

Hi Insel: that’s exactly what I meant, when I said not everything can be translated word by word – at times it would sound silly. We have an exellent example here.

In the UK Version – Chapter 21 ” The Tale of the Three Brothers” page 331 it says: “So the oldest brother, who was a combative man, asked for a wand more powerful than any in existence…...So Death crossed to an elder tree on the banks of the river,fashioned a wand from a branch that hung there, and gave it to the oldest brother.”

So Elder is a tree – which is translated into German by the word of Holunder, like you said. So what probaly happened is this – the

translator or the text editor, decided that "Holunder Stab" which would have been the  precise translation of the word Elder Wand, sounded odd and lost some of the cloak-and-dagger meaning! With  ELDERSTAB they invented a pretty cool word.Stab is not wrong, don't we say in German "Zauberstab" (Wand) ;)? As for using foreign-words - there is also one very prominent in Deathly Hallows - Harry is traveling with his "rucksack" which is 100% a German word :) Hope I was able to help...
Avatar Image says:

..translator or the text editor, decided that “Holunder Stab” which would have been the precise translation of the word Elder Wand, sounded odd and lost some of the cloak-and-dagger meaning! With ELDERSTAB they invented a pretty cool word.Stab is not wrong, don’t we say in German “Zauberstab” (Wand) ;)? As for using foreign-words – there is also one very prominent in Deathly Hallows – Harry is traveling with his “rucksack” which is 100% a German word :) Hope I was able to help…

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Mistral, I totally understand that not everything can be translated… but I was so disappointet :( Stab is ok, but Holunder is just Holunder and not Elder :(( I just can’t make friend with this gg

Avatar Image says:

Regarding other audio books: Vols. 1-3 have been released in French, read by Bernard Giraudeau. (Search amazon.fr; when I try to paste the URL my comment does not post).

I don’t know why the other volumes were never produced. I suppose they were not as popular in French as the English and German audio books. I wonder why that would be?

Avatar Image says:

Wow Fragesteller, Bernard Giraudeau reading Harry Potter must of sounded great ;-) ..hmmm…maybe our French Harry Potter fans will know why there weren’t produced anymore HP audio’s in French?

Write a Reply or Comment