Grawp Gives Hermione a Helping Hand: More on the Visual Effects Used in OotP

216

Oct 03, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We have another look for you today about the special visual effects and processes used in creating the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix film. Back in August we told you about a lengthy detailed look at some of the special effects OotP that featured the Centaurs, Kreacher and more. Now, CGSociety has another such look, which is very technical yet fascinating account of the amount of time consuming and careful meticulous work that went into creating the visual effects seen in the fifth Harry Potter film.

In this feature, we learn about the various processes used to film certain scenes, such as the scene when the Trio encounter Grawp in the Forbidden Forest. Noting that for the part when Grawp picks up Hermione (Emma Watson) in his hand, ” the effects crew composited greenscreen footage of the actress filmed riding a giant hand attached to a motion control unit, replaced that hand with a digital hand, and then fit the two into the forest.”

Even the smallest of detail can be important in this magical world of Harry Potter, and the article also details the efforts made by certain crews, including the Flight of Fred & George and the fireworks that light up the Great Hall of Hogwarts, all led by a man named Greg Butler, who did the work on the incredible Gollum from the Lord of the Rings.

“Basically, the fireworks were lots of little colored dots that were glowed in compositing’ he says. “But, we started off with the idea that the fireworks would look real and act real. So, we used only colors that real fireworks have.”

Integrating the fireworks into the scene, however, meant that the actors and objects in the room needed to reflect the changing colors. “We knew one of the things about adding 3D self-emitting objects is that they would have to light up the room and we couldn’t do that in post in any decent way’ says Butler. Instead, they determined the color palette and locked down the animation in previz. Then, they used the previz as a guide for a turning on a bank of lights in the ceiling that they controlled with synchronized timers during the live action shoot.

“We could look at a plate and see that on this frame a blue light went off, so we put blue fireworks somewhere near that time and space’ Butler says. For the fireworks dragon that attacks the Ministry of Magic’s pernicious Dolores Umbridge, the visual effects artists emitted particles from the surface of an animated model.

Tim Burke, the visual effects supervisor for “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix”, will return again on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which is currently filming in England.

Thanks very much one!

8 Responses to Grawp Gives Hermione a Helping Hand: More on the Visual Effects Used in OotP

Avatar Image says:

Which special effects will there be in HBP?... not many aside from the Inferi at the end.

I suppose…

Kreacher again? Slughorn!armchair??? (if they include that) If the Weasleys wizarding wheezes shop is included then there are lots of special effects needed there. The usual pensieve effects Sectumsempra would be much better if it had special effects _ heehee Myrtle (plz include her oh god plz plz plz plz plz) Dumbledores death I can’t think of any more… not as many as OotP…

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait for HBP! I think it will be completely awesome!

Avatar Image says:

Yea me to!!!! November the 21st seems like years away though!!!! i can’t wait that long!!!!!!!!! :( i guess i’ll have to!!! but it’ll be worth it in the end!!!!!111

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised to hear that a former WETA person worked on OotP… I was really disappointed with Grawp’s appearance after the amazing CG effects on such films as LOTR. Did Butler only work on the fireworks and not on Grawp? I loved the film overall, but it seemed to me that there was a huge technological leap backward from creatures like Gollum or Buckbeak to Grawp.

Avatar Image says:

I agree. I thought Grawp looked really odd.

Avatar Image says:

Grawp looked like something out of a Saturday morning children’s cartoon. I too was extremely disappointed with Grawp. My only special effects complaint.

Avatar Image says:

Grawp didn’t look real.

And “The actress riding a giant hand” ?

heh heh…

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Avatar Image says:

I thought that whole scene in the woods with Grawp was terrible. It was so dark you could barely see what was going on. I had no idea Hermione was picked up in his hand. Everyone in the theater was muttering, thinking that something had gone wrong with the film. Someone even went out to ask.

Write a Reply or Comment