News About Companion Books, New Secrets, and More Revealed on JK Rowling.com

105

Oct 31, 2007

Posted by SueTLC

Well it is not quite a huge trick, but there are a few new goodies this Halloween found on our favorite author’s website. In addition to the new Wizard of the Month and Door Opening archive we first told you about this morning, there is an update in the news section now on JKRowling.com.Jo writes that she is still intending on writing the “definitive Harry Potter encyclopedia, which will include all the material that never made it into the novels, and that I will give the royalties from this book to charity. I cannot, therefore, approve of “companion books” or “encyclopedias” that seek to pre-empt my definitive Potter reference book for their authors’ own personal gain. The losers in such a situation would be the charities, that I hope, eventually, to benefit.” Jo also has given us two new secrets hidden on the site. If you wish to find them on your ownSTOP NOW, otherwise scroll down for more.

SCROLL

MOVE THAT CURSOR DOWN

DONT STOP SCROLLING YET!

SCROLL

KEEP SCROLLING!

ALMOST THERE!

ONE MORE SCROLL!

LAST SCROLL BEFORE THE SPOILERS! YOU ARE CAUTIONED!

Courtesy of our friends Lexicon Bel and Roonwit, here are instructions for finding two new things:

• First Clue: In the Rubbish Bin, hold your curser on the Sneakascope until it moves. A ? will be revealed. Then go to the “Extras” section and draw the mark. A handwritten paper from Jo regarding the third year is revealed, and note the very curious names of professors at the top of the page.

• Second Clue: Take the portkey to Jo’s office. On the lightswitch, click the upper right corner, then move your cursor to peel back the wallpaper Door for a new Potion recipe (egg and Lacewing Fly leg). Portkey back to the main desk and wait for ole Peeves to come by and knock over the pens. Poof! an egg appears. Click on it. Portkey over to the “Fansites” area and wait in the Fansites trophy case for a new Lacewing Fly to flit in and land on the
    FSA cup. Click on it.

• 188 Responses to News About Companion Books, New Secrets, and More Revealed on JK Rowling.com

Avatar Image says:

So exciting … Happy Halloween … Thanks JO!

Jo, I love you!!!

Avatar Image says:

Either my computer is acting wonky again, or JKR’s site is overwhelmed at the moment. Would someone be so kind as to simply POST HERE (or send me a pm thru leaky?) what the new information is?

many thanks

Avatar Image says:

I cant get the second clue. has anyone else figured it out? im at her office clicked the light and nothing….HELPPPPPP

btw happy halloween!

Avatar Image says:

I cant get clue 2 either!! Its hard! Enid pettigrew-wow…i def wanna know more about that Divination teacher!

Avatar Image says:

I agree. How do you get the second clue? Why can’t you just post what it is for those of us who actuall don’t have that much free time to spend looking for this stuff?

Avatar Image says:

I can’t get the second clue either. I keep clicking on the right hand corner of the lightswitch, but I can’t get the paper to peel back.

Avatar Image says:

I’m having trouble with that second clue thing too. I go to the office and can’t seem to ‘peel’ a thing…but thanks for posting how to get to these extras! I’ll keep trying.

Avatar Image says:

Where are you supposed to draw in the Extras, and are you supposed to use the pen? I can get the pen to move but don’t know where to “Draw.”

Avatar Image says:

i cant get either one to work :(

Avatar Image says:

I peeled back the wallpaper and all, but how long do we have to wait for Peeves to come by?

Avatar Image says:

OK, I see the little crumpled notepad thing to the bottom left, and the pen lets me draw on it…but nothing happens.

Avatar Image says:

You draw in the little piece of paper that’s even more bottom-left. It’s got like a double border on it.

Avatar Image says:

I got it! Light switch, upper right corner, peel upwards towards the upper right corner! You can see the cut in the wallpaper if you turn off the lights! Hope that helps some of you out!

Avatar Image says:

I’m not able to pick up the pen!!

Avatar Image says:

THANK YOU DEBZIE! That worked for me now!! Cheers!

Avatar Image says:

Um…Maybe I missed it…But what about the OTHER potions recipe? The one in the rubbish bin (click on the pen, it breaks, the ink leaks all over the scrap paper and poof! recipe)? How old is it? I can’t seem to find anything on it….is lost

Avatar Image says:

THANKS!!! now i am waiting for that dang ghost

Avatar Image says:

I found the paper and drew question mark after question mark, but nothing worked until my 8-year-old daughter tried it. :) Cool info!

Avatar Image says:

has anyone noticed the new teacher sheet is the reverse of a previous hidden extra with all the teachers of PoA?

Avatar Image says:

oh wowww so you have to wait awhile, like a few minutes for Peeves to come by.

Avatar Image says:

How long are we supposed to wait for Peeves? I’ve been off to make lunch and he still hasn’t knocked over the pens.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been waiting about 15 minutes for Peeves to come by…um, am I doing something wrong?

Avatar Image says:

Waiting for Peeves to come takes 5 minutes… And now I’m waiting at fan sites…

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the tip and thanks Jo for the surprises.

How do you guys figure out how to find the clues?????

Avatar Image says:

This is infuriating, maybe my machine is woefully inadequate – i can’t get either to work. Can someone please post the new info. on the appropriate discussion thread. I’m very interested but don’t have the time to persevere with this.

Ta muchly

Avatar Image says:

It takes a while for peeves to show up. just watch and hold your horses. it takes a few minutes for the lace wing fly to appear aswell.

Avatar Image says:

Haha – that’s not a lacewing fly! :)

Avatar Image says:

It did not work for me (i.e. Peeves did not appear) at first so I went back via the portkey and made sure to turn the lightswitch back on after peeling back the paper and before portkeying (ooh, I never thought I’d use that as a verb…) back to the main page and awaiting Peeves. Then he showed up. Hope that helps some folks :).

Maybe I’m an idiot, or I just forget but what’s the portkey to Jo’s office? LOL

Avatar Image says:

I got the question mark to appear, and then I couldn’t pick up the pen to write the question mark. :( Also, I dont know which portkey to take to jo’s office.

Avatar Image says:

Could someone please post what the new clues are? some of us don’t have access to computers that let you view this stuff on jkr’s website.

Avatar Image says:

I can see the cut in the wallpaper but it isnt peeling back…

Avatar Image says:

THAT TIME TURNER THING IS AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

Ya know, its times like this one that really are the best on Leaky and with you other fans. People are trying to help one another, sooner or later the info will be shared so we all can enjoy. No arguments of things irrelevant or petty, no flaming or shouting, just fans sharing and enjoying…

Thank you, fellow Potter-heads!

Avatar Image says:

Can someone please tell me which portkey to take to Jo’s office?

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I can’t get the pen to move…WAAAHHHH!! Help, please!

Avatar Image says:

The Wizard of the Month and time turner archive is AWESOME! Only thing is, I’ve forgotten how to get past the door… oh no!

Schmittay – Jo’s office is the eraser ”?” portkey – or the room of requirement

Avatar Image says:

you have to write with the pen on the lowest/smaller board, just hold it with your mouse, the portkey to the office is the eraser, try this link to access web site

you can leave web page open on the main page and just don’t touch anything Peeves will come by…

Avatar Image says:

Thanks a lot for answering that question squibby! My problem is I’ve been having trouble picking up the pen in the first place.

Avatar Image says:

Schmittay, oh, you just click on it and let go, don’t press the left botton of your mouse. :) and when you are ready to write, click on the left button

Avatar Image says:

By “Jo’s office,” it’s meant the room with the Secret Door, so take the eraser portkey.

Avatar Image says:

I finally managed to get into the text only version, although that is not going to get me much.

first, re companion books, direct quote:

Wednesday 31 October 2007

Companion Books It’s common knowledge that I love genuine Harry Potter fansites, which is why I created my own award to recognise their creativity and ingenuity.

It’s also old news that I hope one day to write the definitive Harry Potter encyclopedia, which will include all the material that never made it into the novels, and that I will give the royalties from this book to charity.

Avatar Image says:

why won’t my question mark make the clue appear? any ideas?

Avatar Image says:

I love that time turner!!

Avatar Image says:

Ok, WOW that was tricky. Peeves took ages to come by and the egg was barely recognizable. For those who didn’t see it, it was very small and black (like a pebble). The lacewing fly looks like a long spindly water bug. The reward was another hand written draft…

Avatar Image says:

I click but I can’t make anything peel.

Do you hold the click down or do you click and release, then peel.

I’ve tried all sorts of version, with the light on and off.

Avatar Image says:

Other Lauren – you need to try to draw it exactly like the picture. It takes a few tries, just like the lightning bolt one.

Avatar Image says:

And, you don’t click the light switch, you try to peel the wall paper right next to the upper right hand corner of the light switch. Like someone said earlier, if you turn the light off, you can barely see where the wall paper is cut.

Avatar Image says:

when you’re trying to peel it, click on it, you know you got the right spot, when the you see it move, the drug right up. I think you should do the ? mark in the Rubbish bin first then go to draw it.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, so I got the first clue finally. When you peel the wallpaper, is it supposed to stay peeled or do you peel it just so you can see the potion and then it goes back to its orinial spot?

Avatar Image says:

sorry, I meant that you have to peel it to the upper right corner of that page

Avatar Image says:

I cant even get to the first secret! What is the Snicoscope? The toys? Or the little blue plastic thing on the bottom left? Please, help! By the way, I love the timeturner stuff, I almost cried when I was able to do the Deathly Hallows door again.. I remember it so well, and I miss not knowing what would happen SO much!

Avatar Image says:

yep, Schmittay , that’s what it did to me, went right back

Avatar Image says:

The Snicoscope is the spinny thing at the top left hand corner of the rubbish bin.

Rubbish bin page I mean.

Avatar Image says:

and that’s all I can see new by going through the text only version.

On the other hand, I finally am getting into the site—for those having that problem, try going directly to http://www.jkrowling.com/ instead of clicking on the link in the Leaky article.

On the other hand, I think JKR’s site is a bit overwhelmed at the moment…..slllllllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Avatar Image says:

What wallpaper? I click on the light-switch on it’s upper right-hand corner and crag, but where in the world is this “wallpaper”? Isn’t the switch on a desk not a wall?

Avatar Image says:

Scarlett it’s in that room, everywhere, brown wallpaper with some flowers, turn off the lights, and you’ll see the outline. :) just above the switch

Avatar Image says:

How long until the lacewing fly comes?

Avatar Image says:

I’m having problems trying to get the wallpaper to peal back. I can see the outline but when I click on the corner of it at the switch and drag it does nothing.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks! I figured it out. I am now waiting for Peeves.

Avatar Image says:

Clearly if we’re posting here we want to know the spoilers. My browser won’t work w/ the site so can someone PLEASE, tell us what is there.

Avatar Image says:

Enid Pettigrew, probably the old name of Sybil Trelawney, before she realised that Peter Pettigrew was a good name for Wormtail. I wonder if Wormtails old name was Timmy Trelawney or something (lol)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks guys! I got them both to work! How cool! Now what is the Deathly Hallows door you guys were talking about?!? Please???

Avatar Image says:

Anyone with Mac computers having any problems? It’s my first time visiting JKRowling.com with a mac which is why I don’t think it’s working for me.

I can’t grab the pen…it just won’t let me pick it up or anything. Not sure if there’s some hidden secret to picking up the pen, but yeah, I’m really struggling with it lol.

Avatar Image says:

ugh this lacewing is taking FOREVER!

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who wished she’d just give us whatever info we’re having to knock ourselves out to find? It’d be one thing if it was info about another book, but the books are out already, so all this is just annoying for, imo, no real good reason.

Avatar Image says:

whoa guys- the first place ribbon just flew away- how long has that been happening?

Avatar Image says:

I don’t see the egg that is supposed to appear when Peeves comes! I think I’ve done it twice now, so where is it? Merlin’s beard, this is frustrating!

Posted by fenm on October 31, 2007 @ 03:43 PM

I so agree with you. I just hate hunting for updates and stuff.

Avatar Image says:

And I’m getting no where too…got the Sneakoscope to move, that’s it.

The last Wizard of the Month remains Harry, and the new and very nice touch is that this section is an accessible archive. Right? Or have I missed something?

And the birthdays, are those supposed to be accessible archives now as well?

patience, someone will post….

Avatar Image says:

waits patiently for lacewing fly

AARRGGGHH COME ON.

WHAT SNEAKSCOPE?!??!?

Avatar Image says:

snape & fenm – Come on, this is fun! :) Yeah, it’s not for “new” information, but it is a bit of a “hunt”. I find it quite entertaining, even if it took me forever to get the pen to draw the ”?”. The Ravenclaw in me loved figuring out the puzzles, especially getting to go back to the archived room of requirement sites. That time turner was just fantastic! :) THANKS JO!!!

@ fenm and snape

Don’t like, don’t hunt. I was able to take WOMBAT 1, which I’ve missed and I’m extremly happy, if you don’t like updates, well… I’m sorry.

Avatar Image says:

Nina, from the main desk when you enter JKR’s site, click on the pencil sharpener (rubbish bin ‘portkey’); the sneakoscope is in the top left, the top…put your mouse/cursor over it, it spins, and after a few moments moves away, revealing a piece of paper with a border and a question mark in it. that’s as far as i can get, when i follow the next step to extra stuff i see the paper with the border, but….

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’ve been waiting 30 mins at the Fansite page for the lacewing fly. It doesn’t look like a feather, does it? Because I clicked on the feather and got something type-written, not hand-written. Is that the reward?

haha, nvm i got it=]

Avatar Image says:

LOL lacewing does not look like a fly, and no, it’s not a feather, it will appear on the right, insectish kinda looking, long legs, I had an impression that it was running, but all happend so fast…

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I got them both :) They took about 5min to accomplish (with the instructions), not that bad really.

Avatar Image says:

Squibby, thank you – just so I’m not wasting my time, is the “reward” type-written or hand-written like the first prize.

Avatar Image says:

Try moving the coin holder on the top shelf and click on the gobstones that are behind it, I did and a couple of seconds later the lacewing appeared and stood on the center trophy.

Avatar Image says:

MB, both my rewards today were hand-written, maybe one of them wasn’t new, I’m not sure, but hand-written

Avatar Image says:

OMG, why won’t the stupid pen work on the extras? Is there something special you have to do? Grrrrrrrrr

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the fun Halloween stuff Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

okay, i waited over an hour for the thing in the trophy room to appear, but nothing happens. :(

Avatar Image says:

Well, I managed to miss Peeves. I was so bored waiting, that I clicked on another page and was reading something when he made his appearance. :( Anyway, I wanted to ask whether there was a third clue. While I was waiting for the lacewing fly in the trophy room, I clicked on a feather on the left side of the shelf and it disappeared. Does that lead to something else?

Avatar Image says:

For all you guys whom this isn’t working, try tomorrow. It might be less, crowded, ya know? Plus, sleep will help you think…;)))

Avatar Image says:

don’t try to click and drag the pen, just click on it once, then it will move.

Avatar Image says:

LOVED it! HAPPY HALLOWEEN JKR!

Avatar Image says:

drawing the mark is effing killing me.

the feather from that is probably from an easter egg way back.

Avatar Image says:

Wow… you guys are further then me. I put my cursor over the sneakascope, and it just spins and spins. no moving. How long does it have to spin for? Maybe I should wait until I get home, since I really shouldt be doing this at work anyway .

Avatar Image says:

The fly looks more like a Daddy Longlegs (crane fly).

Looks like I was right that Harry is the last Wizard of the Month. It’s all coming to an end!

Avatar Image says:

It’s kind of a bummer that Steve Van Ark is being sued over his Harry Potter Lexicon book since JKR has previously said that even she used the site on occasion. Besides there are already companions books out there! I still stay she should turn it into “Hogwarts: A History” – updated and revised by Hermione Granger-Weasley instead of just a straight encyclopedia.

Avatar Image says:

Still waiting in the trophy room. For those that are having a problem with the pen (I did, I drew the darn makrk 50 times), once you draw it press the front left “side” of your left clicker on your mouse as you lift your finger. For me, it acted like an “enter”.

Avatar Image says:

Haha, darn, I thought we were going to find out more on Remus’s sexuality. Guess not D: Oh well. Enid Pettigrew.. that’s very interesting. I can’t get clue #2 either, though… anyway, thanks very much for posting this!!

Happy Halloween! =)

Avatar Image says:

I’m on a Mac too and can’t get it to work on Safari OR Firefox. Could someone please just post the info? I don’t have access to a PC.

Avatar Image says:

has anyone else found another surprise when you dial a code into the phone on her desk? or is this old news that i didnt read about before…

Avatar Image says:

No matter how hard I try, or in what position I click on the light switch, I simply cannot get the wallpaper to peel back. I can’t even see any break in it where it should be able to happen, like some people have said there is; even with the light off. :( :( :(

Avatar Image says:

For anyone who is waiting a long time for Peeves to come by I just realized that if you double click enough on the pen holder that it falls over and the egg rolls out. Not sure if anyone mentioned it!

Avatar Image says:

Was the secret in the trophy room something about the Philosopher’s Stone?

Avatar Image says:

Wow. The pot of pens was juste knocked down, but I didn’t see Peeves at all. The watch turned into Dumbledore’s 12-hand watch and the hands pointed everywhere, then there was some “wind” and the pot was knocked down. Haha. I clicked on the egg, I gotta go in the fansites part now.

I’m on a Mac (with Safari) and it works perfectly well! ... I don’t see what’s the problem…

ps: The phone rang at least once before “Peeves” showed up, maybe it can help you see how much time you have to wait. Oh, and I also put my cursor on the erasor without clicking on it just before it happened, don’t know if that has anything to do with it! :P

Avatar Image says:

aussiehpnut: put the tip of your mouse at the same level as the top of the lightswitch (in the upper right). move it just slightly to the right of the lightswitch so it’s on the wallpaper by itself. click and hold, and move the mouse to the top right corner. a picture will reveal itself, and then the wallpaper will close back up again. the break in the wallpaper is very very light, even with the lights off which might be hard to see depending on the brightness of your monitor.

Avatar Image says:

Ohh, by the way, I went to the ‘link’ section and got something with the key and stuff, I guess that is something pretty old (doddles of the Sorting Hat haha), but if it isn’t, well… I found it. :)

Avatar Image says:

I got the second clue! Just can’t get the pen to move so I write the first clue. :/

Avatar Image says:

rachel:- I tried that, and I still can’t get it to work. Obviously I just can’t get the cursor into EXACTLY the right place.

Avatar Image says:

I THINK I got it right this time (just after I posted my last message). Just waiting for Peeves now to make sure.

Avatar Image says:

aussiehpnut: try numerous times, it’s really on the wallpaper you must click, not on the exact corner of the lightswitch :P

Avatar Image says:

I got it!! Woooooooooohooooooooooooo!!! Peeves came, and I got the egg. Just waiting for the lacewing fly on the Trophy page now.

Avatar Image says:

could someone please tell me how to use the pen in the extras? I can’t move it!! I got the ? in the rubbish bin, but if I try to go back there it changed back to being hidden… please help!!

Avatar Image says:

please help!!! I can’t get teh pen to move!! please email me or something with HOW TO MOVE IT!!! it’s impposible! [email protected]

Avatar Image says:

How do I get to the rubbish bin?

Avatar Image says:

The freakin fly isn’t coming! I tried getting the gobstones and have waited for about 15 minutes now. Peeves just came, but still no fly!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m having trouble with the Extras section… anyone else?

Hay guys I thing i find Daisy Dodderidge is Melissa daisy look like Melissa

lol!!!

Avatar Image says:

YESSS! I’vo got both “rewards” in my scrapbook now!!! They’re really interesting-and cool!

Avatar Image says:

YESS! I’ve got both “rewards” in my scrapbook now!!! They’re really interesting-and cool. NICE!

Avatar Image says:

does the fly make any noise? so one can know that it’s there? coz i don’t have the time to sit and stare at the screen.

Avatar Image says:

Can someone help me with the pen? I don’t know how I can write with it. I tried on both a Mac and a PC….

ooooo nice!!

Avatar Image says:

Patrick, You click on the pen and let go—don’t drag it. Then write with the cursor. Hope that helps.

I’m sitting here waiting for the lace wing fly to show up.

Whoever asked earlier- the phone number on the desk is an old item. One of the first things, I think.

I don’t remember seeing the potions recipe that shows up when the pen breaks next to the wastepaper basket. Is that new or maybe newish?

Avatar Image says:

I am not having any luck with the wall paper. When you say the corner of the switch, do you mean the switch plate or the actual switch itself? I see a faint line diagonally across the upper right hand corner of the switch plate, but I have fiddled with it for over 30 minutes and nothing happens to it. You talk about a tear in the wall paper, but up around the switch plate it is so dark (with the lights on or off) that I can’t see a thing. After about 20 minutes Peeves came by and wrote on the mirror and a bunch of keys started spinning around. I caught one and was able to open the door with it, but all it showed was Jo’s desk. Nothing was clickable on it. Also, when you put your cursor over the hourglass on the time turner, it glows blue and spins. An ‘opening file’ kind of bar shows up on the door, but nothing happens after it goes away.

Avatar Image says:

no, myID, the potion by the wastebasket is old. All jkrowling.com secrets can be found at the Lexicon.

Avatar Image says:

nc, It’s actually slightly onto the paper at the upper right corner of the switchplate. It took me quite a few tries. I think I clicked and held just beyond the corner and moved to the upper right corner of the screen. I’d double check it by I’m waiting for that @#$&* fly to appear.

The tear is actually very precise—it’s 2 sides of a right angle whose point meets the corner of the switchplate exactly.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, Emilie, I thought I faithfully checked every new item out, but I must have missed that one.

nc, I forget to say I haven’t played with the time turner yet, but apparently it takes you to the archives of past interesting tidbits that have been on the site. Maybe it’s just not working well right now because the site is busy?

Avatar Image says:

so seriously…how do people find this stuff out for the first time, anyway??

Avatar Image says:

Still not seeing anything that looks like a tear in the wallpaper. I repositioned my monitor and can now see the flower/vine pattern on the paper, but all I can see otherwise is a spider web that touches the switch plate.

Avatar Image says:

How do you get the pen to move? It woln’t write for me :(

Avatar Image says:

I can make the sneakascope move but I cannot make the pen move despite having read all the hints in the posts. Help!!

Avatar Image says:

Wooooooooohooooooooo!! The lacewing fly finally showed up. I’ve got both pieces of handwritten information stored in my scrapbook now.

Avatar Image says:

can anybody inform us how long do we have to wait til the lacewing appear? Does it takes hours? Days? Or perhaps years? Cuz I’ve been waiting for an hour now.

Avatar Image says:

how do you make the friggin pen move???? AAAAAAHHH

Avatar Image says:

PEN, just click it near the the thing that has been holding it. Just click it once and draw on that blank paper.

Avatar Image says:

Ok. I just started, and im at the “extras” section. When I click on the pen it doesn’t move or anything Therfore I cannot write the ? symbol. Please help or email me: [email protected]

when is PEEVES going to COME?? OMG IM SO FRUSTRATED

Avatar Image says:

ishsheruni, thanks- im almost done with getting the second handwritten info

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been waiting ages for the lacewing fly in the trophy room! But I’ve noticed something: was that ticking noise always there? Or is just me being slow and hearing it for the first time?

(Hmmm… what is that mysterious ticking noise? It’s kinda catchy…)

Avatar Image says:

The question mark worked for me when I dragged the end of the question mark to the bottom of the paper – it’s worth a try.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone seen that little box in the trophy room? Like a ring box. When you double click it, it opens!

Avatar Image says:

I CAN’T WAIT FOR PEEVES ANYMORE. Where is he?

I have unpeeled the wall paper about six different times now.

Avatar Image says:

Ok Peeves didn’t come, Dumbledore’s watch did something funny. Now I am in the trophy room and I have been waiting since about 1:50. Not good. Not good. I waited years of my life for the books and she makes me wait MORE?

Avatar Image says:

I just double clicked on the little question mark that comes out of that red double box in the fansites section, and I got a very early draft of the first chapter of PS, noting that Draco’s name used to be spungen, is that the 2nd reward?

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, that should be draco’s surname, not name…

Avatar Image says:

My fly appeared on the main page

Avatar Image says:

Okay once I have the items where is the cauldron?

Avatar Image says:

Well, I think that once you’re in the trophy room, you have to watch carefully: the lacewing fly crosses the room, but it’s a fleeting moment, easy to miss. I missed the fly, actually. So I exited the room and re-entered. I hope it will come back…

Avatar Image says:

I can’t get the ‘jo’s office’ one to work either, I’ve clicked and moved, nothing happens. Do I click the switch (Top right corner) and just move the mouse to the upper right corner? Do I click the switch and hold down the mouse to move to the corner?

Avatar Image says:

I just did it!!! Got the second reward (the other side of the sheet where she first drew the sorting hat). Here is how it works: You click the eraser, go to the secret door; turn off the light, peel back the wallpaper by the switch, turn on the light, go back to the main desk. Then you wait for “Peeves” (you don’t see it, you just hear a swooshing sound and his cackling). To the left of the fallen pens, there’ll be a small black egg: click on it. Then click on the paper clip by the eraser, “fan sites”, to go to the trophy room. Now you have to watch carefully, as you wait. After a few minutes (two or three), the lacefly wing will arrive from the right hand side, pause briefly on the cup at the center of the screen, and exit on the upper left corner. So it’s a brief moment you need to cease to click on it. Good luck!

Avatar Image says:

Again, please, could someone just post the info that is revealed? It absolutely will not work for me, and this isn’t the first time I’ve had this problem with JKR’s website. So if you’re reading these comments, please, just post what you found out.

Avatar Image says:

Random but somewhat related question about JKR’s site- does anyone know how to get into the WOMBAT area? I really wanted to get in there and see what “tests” are in there. I am still kinda new to JK’s site. It says to enter your Student ID and I can’t figure out how to sign up or make one. Thanks :)

Avatar Image says:

ImHermione-In general, you can’t get a student ID now-you had to take the test when the door opened. I guess that there’s a timeturner in Jo’s office (click on the eraser from the main page) which allows you to go back to the previous times the door has opened,but I’m not sure if you can take past WOMBATs or not. Hope that helps.

Avatar Image says:

CrumpleHornedSnorkack- thank you so much! I’ll give that a shot. I do know how to get that far from yesterday’s obstacles for Halloween :) If I can’t get into that’s ok, I just wanted to try.

Thanks and take care!!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for all of the comments! I love it! Without all of the clues on how to peel back the wallpaper, I think I would have gotten very frustrated!

Avatar Image says:

i cant get either clue! i just cant draw that ”?”. lol. and i wait until peeves comes and the egg doesn’t. has anyone else had this problem?

Avatar Image says:

Okay, so I can’t get the wallpaper to peel off. I did what every one said concerning the light switch and nothing. And so you know, behind the lights witch are just more papers, there is no tear, nothing that I can see. I turned off the light and turned it back on (no different in lighting for me) and I see nothing. I tried everything and still nothing. I’m using Firefox in Mac computer. This is driving me buts! :( Any help would be appreciated. You can e-mail me personally at [email protected], if you like. :)

Avatar Image says:

Sorry about all my typo’s in my previous post. Urgh, butter fingers today!

Avatar Image says:

Hmm… For peeling back the paper, you have to double click it really fast, it took me ages to get it! I can’t pick the pen up though! Anyone got a tip or something, cause it’s driving me crazyyyyy….

Avatar Image says:

[email protected] Sorry bout that… Got my own email wrong!

Avatar Image says:

Ok the wallpaper is killing me.

Avatar Image says:

Oooh..yay! A news update!

Avatar Image says:

A news update on JKR’s site, that is.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t get either to work can anyone help? Or where would this be posted on Leaky?

Avatar Image says:

I tried it on a mac and it won’t work for hours! Please, can someone who has been lucky with the site, email me the new stuffs? thanks so muuchhh ^^ email at: [email protected]

or PM me in LL, I’m Sevvie ;)

Avatar Image says:

there’s another bit of content on there that there’s no instructions to! If you go to the rubbish bin bit and click on the biro on the left it snaps and gives you another potion recipe. The eggs are on this page (i think trying to remember) and if you click on them they disappear! Back to the main page now go to the fansite bit (click the bulldog clip) and move the box on the top shelf and click the blue stones and they’ll disappear too. Back to the main page again and click on the hairbrush for extra stuff and just above the picture of the dog there are some needle things taped to the board click those and voila theres the extra content! oh yeah and has anyone else had the phone ring on them! it freaked me out

Avatar Image says:

I got the wallpaper to peel back by clicking just above the right-hand corner of the lightswitch and moving the cursor. However, as soon as I moved the mouse, it rolled right back. Then I went to the main page and waited for Peeves, who knocked over the pens, but no egg of any kind appeared. I know it’s supposed to be small and black, but it should at least be visible! (The eggshells that other people are talking about on a different page are part of an old potions recipe from the rubbish bin page.) Peeves just came by again and no egg! How do I get the wallpaper to stay put once it peels back, or what am I doing wrong?

Avatar Image says:

@ Carol The egg is very small and dark-blue and it’s a few millimeters away of knocked cup with pens. I hope you’ll get your extra!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, aillinne. I’ll try a fourth or fifth time. So it doesn’t matter that the wallpaper rolls back? Does it matter which browser I use? I’m using Netscape 7.2 at the moment, but I also have Netscape 9 and I.E.

Avatar Image says:

No, it doesn’t matter that the wallpaper rolls back. It’s O.K.

Avatar Image says:

Emmm… For the browser question, I fear I cannot help.

Avatar Image says:

Oho! I got it to work on Netscape 9. The egg looks like a blueberry jellybean. Still doesn’t work on Netscape 7.2, though. Next question. I clicked on the egg (which disappeared) and went to the Fansites page. Do I have to wait for the lacewing fly or can I go to some other window (or browser)? Does the fly make a noise (like the wind and cackle that signal Peeves’ presence?). (And where do the people who figure these things out on their own find the time and patience? Neve mind. That last is a rhetorical question.)

Avatar Image says:

I’ve waited for lacewing fly AGES. I don’t remember if it has made any noise at all, but feel free to visit other pages, because it doesn’t affect process of collecting of extras (in this case).

Avatar Image says:

I can’t get the pen to work. I’ve tried all the suggestions but I’m not able to draw anything!

Avatar Image says:

@ Ann Do you use Accessibility Enablad Version? If yes, try to enter through the site with Brirish flag (Union Jack).

Avatar Image says:

that last recommendation actually solved the problem! if you want to get the pen to work, you’ve got to access through the british flag!

Avatar Image says:

Well, Peeves knocked over the pens and I got to where I was supposed to. I read the paper that was there. But I still don’t understand about the Door for a new Potion recipe. Ah, well.

Avatar Image says:

Okay. I finally got everything, and the key for me was to re-enter the site through the button with the Union Jack on it (not via the accessibility enabled version!). Thanks a mil to the person who posted this hint earlier … it was the only thing that worked for me. Getting the pen to move should be EASY. (The wallpaper was tricky for me.) I had been trying and trying forever until I completely started over by re-entering the site. Try it! AND, does anyone remember the phone code to get the treat on the desk? I’m on a roll now!

Avatar Image says:

The Wallpapaer has resolved to drive me mad! Two days and no luck after all the helpful advice you all’ve given…. still trying though….

Avatar Image says:

I think it would be okay for someone to post the secrets now…...it looks as though many of us are having problems navigating the site, and are getting frustrated, and just want to know the bloody answers :) WIth Thanks… Lee

Avatar Image says:

Aillinne, BLESS YOU! Thank you SO MUCH for the suggestion to go through the Union Jack. I thought I was losing my mind trying to get the pen to work. THANK YOU!

Avatar Image says:

is there anyone else having problems understanding Jo’s handwriting or i’m the only one?after i tried for 1 hour to get to the damn clues and now i’m having trouble understandint it.it’s frustrating!!!!

Avatar Image says:

what’s the deal with the time-turner? i can’t get it to move…someone illuminate me please:)

Avatar Image says:

I can’t get the ‘lacewing fly’ to come down; how long shall I wait?

Avatar Image says:

I tried to find the secrets hidden on J.K. Rowling’s web site, but I could never seem to get through. Perhaps the instructions do not work on Windows XP. I am running a Dell Dimension 9150, have a firewall, virus protection, and other security devices enabled to protect my computer. Does anyone know if these items can interfere with viewing Ms. Rowling’s secrets on her site? This is not an emergency. I’d just like to know. Thank you.

Avatar Image says:

How do I get the timeturner in Jo’s office to work?

Avatar Image says:

P.S. to all of you who just want to know what the secrets are: One is a draft from SS/PS where Harry meets Sir Nicholas for the first time in the dormitory. The other one is from POA, it is a list of the classes the trio is taking and professors’ names (Enid Pettigrew?)

Avatar Image says:

I cannot get the wallpaper to peel back….no matter what or how I try to, arrrrgggghhhh!!!

Write a Reply or Comment