David Yates Says Young Voldemort Cast; No Name of Actor Given

115

Oct 04, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Director David Yates is quoted in a UK newspaper saying the role of Young Voldemort for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film has been cast, but refused to give the name of the young actor who will play him in the sixth Harry Potter movie. In Richard Kay’s column from The Daily Mail, there is a mention of the upcoming movie, along with the possibility the actor in question may be the young nephew of Ralph Fiennes who of course portrays Lord Voldemort. The article states that while David Yates declined to reveal the name of the actor, the columnist says that the role will be played by 11 year old Titan Tiffin. Full quotage is as follows :

The Fiennes family business is expanding. For the 11-year-old nephew of actor Ralph is, I hear, to star alongside his uncle in the next Harry Potter film. Titan Tiffin is to be cast as Tom Riddle ” the boy who becomes arch villain Lord Voldemort, who is played by Ralph. Titan is the eldest son of Ralph’s younger sister Martha, an award-winning film director, and Old Etonian George Tiffin, a novelist and film producer.

‘Finding someone to play Tom Riddle was tricky, as he is a twisted and evil character,’ I am told. ‘But Titan fits the bill perfectly ” and you can see he has inherited his uncle’s abilities.’ Titan’s other thespian uncle, Joseph, starred as the Bard in Shakespeare In Love.

David Yates, the director of Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, which is due out in November next year, tells me: ‘I’ve found a really interesting kid to play Riddle. I can’t tell you who it is yet ” it’s early days.’

As intriguing as this sounds, and there have been other reports on possible casting for this role, please keep this very much in the rumor category until we can obtain official confirmation from Warner Brothers. As stated previously, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is currently in production in England, and will be released in theaters November 21, 2008.

23 Responses to David Yates Says Young Voldemort Cast; No Name of Actor Given

Avatar Image says:

This is interesting, but since it’s from the Daily Mail, I’m kind of hesitant to believe it. Hmm…

Avatar Image says:

This is probably true. It’s quite feasible that they’d go with Fiennes’s nephew, there’s a good chance there’s a resemblence and, by the sound of it, acting talent. The teen/young adult Riddle will be harder to cast, if he’s still gonna feature in the film.

Avatar Image says:

How interesting that the columnist wrote that Yates told him “it’s early days” about Riddle, when Yates used the exact same words to tell Veritaserum that at the OOTP Los Angeles premiere. http://www.veritaserum.com/article.php?a=s&L=10&aid=20126

Avatar Image says:

Finn’s absolutely right… here’s the quote from the Daily Mail: “I’ve found a really interesting kid to play Riddle. I can’t tell you who it is yet — it’s early days.”

Here’s what Yates told Veritaserum in July: “I’ve found a really interesting kid to play Riddle. I can’t tell you who it is yet—it’s early days.”

Hmm, something tells me the Daily Mail never talked to David Yates, what do you think?

Avatar Image says:

Thanks to Amy and Finn for pointing that out! I think it’s safe to say that this report is absolutely false.

Let’s just remain patient. I’m sure Warner Brothers will announce who they hired for the role within a matter of weeks or so.

Avatar Image says:

what is with people and their inablitly to REVEAL NAMES!!!!!!!? grrrrrr. i wanna know who it is!!!!!

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to see whoe plays the part. I am so excited!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

SQEEEE! I can’t wait to hear who is playing young Riddle! Hurry up Warner Brothers!

Avatar Image says:

We heard that quote at the premiere, I don’t know… They could just be sticking the same thing up with a new title.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, here’s a stupid question – what about the guy who played him in Chamber of Secrets? Too old now?

Avatar Image says:

Not a stupid question, he was a o.k. teenage Riddle, I think.

Avatar Image says:

I suppose an 11 year old could be used for orphanage Riddle, but what about suave and manipulating teenage Riddle?

Avatar Image says:

hmm, not sure. any suggestions, anyone?

Oh, come on Yates! Tell us!!! We’re dying with need of casting news!!! XD

Avatar Image says:

Wasn’t it Christian Colson who played the teenage Riddle in COS? I would think he’d at least be the logical one for the adult Riddle who comes back to ask for a teaching position after he’s out of school. It seems that they’ll need an 11 year old, who wouldn’t have to look exactly like the older iterations of Riddle. But the teen and adult Riddles shouldn’t look that different. Most people don’t change that much from age 16 to age 25 or 30.

I’m really hopeful about Half-Blood Prince as a movie—I like the 6th book so much better now that I’ve read Deathly Hallows. But it’ll be interesting to see what they do with the movie, now that we do know how it all turns out.

Avatar Image says:

I wish this were true. There’s probably a resemblance and maybe even some talent. Whoever plays boy Riddle is in for a wicked (although short) part.

Avatar Image says:

Titan Tiffin should go on board as the snappiest name ever. Add the Fiennes features and he’s totally set for life…

Avatar Image says:

Not only that, but what about all the other roles still to be cast for HBP? So far we only have Slughorn.

Still to go: Rufus Scrimgeour Narcissa Malfoy Lavender Brown Marvolo Gaunt Morfin Gaunt Merope Gaunt Tom Riddle Sr. Tom Riddle (age 11) Tom Riddle (age 18 – if they want a re-cast) Tom Riddle at later life stage – can be played by Fiennes himself. Hepzibah Smith – may end up being written out of the script. Bill (and Charlie) Weasley – although I think the whole Bill-Fleur storyline will be ditched. Fernir Greyback – may also get cut. It would be sooooooo much fun to keep the first chapter and get Michael Sheen (a.k.a. Tony Blair twice already) to play the Muggle Prime Minister, but that’s not likely to happen.

And whoever else I’m forgetting.

The point is, hurry up WB!!! I’ve been dying for casting news for a month. I would have expected an official announcement by now!!!

Avatar Image says:

Christian Colson should definitely do it. He was so hot in COS! I wanted to see more scenes with him in it. I don’t see why they would go search for someone else for the similar age range if they already had him do it anyway. It wasn’t that long ago…

Avatar Image says:

Are they being more secretive for this movie? Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t they release casting news for OOTP before they started making the movie. Why all the secrets WB and Yates. I think they like to watch us go mad with any news we can get. I mean with OOTP they released so much information that we practically saw the whole movie in trailers and photos. Maybe they released too much with OOTP so now we will pay for there misstep. :(

Avatar Image says:

I thought they were casting a 16 year old TR, according to the casting call, but if they’ve chosen an 11 year old as well that’s great. I want to see the 11 year old orphanage scene.

but as it’s Daily Mail I’ll wait til I hear more news…

i thought they were casting a 16 yr old in july… oh well

Avatar Image says:

Guys, COS was filmed 6 years ago. Coulson is now near 30. People can change in that span of time. Yates made it seem that he talked to Coulson in his interview a while back and probably therefore saw a recent picture of Coulson and decided that he had outgrown the part. He was awesome, but a 30 year old playing a 16 year old is really stretching it.

Write a Reply or Comment