New Book Written by J.K. Rowling to Be Auctioned for Charity

107

Nov 01, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Some amazing news this morning for you as author J.K. Rowling has announced on her website she has written a new book, however there is only one to be made available to the public, and it will be sold for charity. On her website, Jo states this new book is based on a tale that is mentioned in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” The book that is to be auctioned is one of seven handwritten by the Harry Potter author, the other six will be given to people she wanted to honor privately, with the final copy going on auction at Sotheby’s in London on December 13th 2007. The book, leather-bound and embellished with silver and different semi-precious stones, “will be on display to the public for a short period before the sale, and catalogues will be sold, all profits going to the Children’s Voice.” Readers will remember this is the charity that Jo founded several years ago; more information on this group, here. The Children’s Voice charity (formerly Children’s High Level Group (CHLG)) aims to stamp out cruelty, neglect and abuse of young people, especially in Eastern Europe. JKR made a moving visit to the area several years ago, and has remained dedicated to helping these children.

Sotheby’s has a short description about the book itself (Note: A special 48 page catalogue previewing this will soon be available for sale to the public and includes a message from Jo about the creation of the book). “Autograph manuscript of “The Tales of Beedle the Bard ” translated from the original runes by J.K. Rowling. Individually handwritten and extensively illustrated by the author, c.160 pages written in an Italian hand-made notebook, bound in brown morocco embellished on upper cover by Edinburgh silversmiths Hamilton and Inches, with five individually hand-chased hallmarked sterling silver ornaments and mounted moonstones.”UPDATE: Sotheby’s has now officially released to the press three new photos here, here, and here.

Some additional information about this remarkable event can be found via the following :
(Please note, if you have not yet read the final Harry Potter novel, there are spoilers.)

• J.K. ROWLING WEBSITE
  • BBC ARTICLE
  • SOTHEBY’S AUCTION HOUSE

he BBC now has video up of an interview with Jo, giving more details on this. To watch this video, click here.

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

• 180 Responses to New Book Written by J.K. Rowling to Be Auctioned for Charity

Avatar Image says:

Beedle the Bard? Oh god, fabulous!

Avatar Image says:

I wish it was a full release

Avatar Image says:

Does this mean we’ll NEVER be able to read these stories? that’s a bit cruel :(

Avatar Image says:

I wish I was one of those lucky six people!!!

Avatar Image says:

That sounds great. And I hope after the auctione she will eventually publish the stories on her site. Maybe as a Christmas gift?

On another note: I am confused. I know there is this WOTM archive, which I find great. But does that mean there will be no more new WOTM??? I was desperately waiting for Hermione and Ron to be honored. They deserve it.

Avatar Image says:

Any chance of it being pirated?

Avatar Image says:

As a Harry Potter fan I am really disappointed that this fairy tale will never be a full release! I find it kind of cruel as well. Alas…

Avatar Image says:

It’s a beautiful gift for people she wants to honour and a great gesture for the charity.

But too bad we’ll never see this book.

One solution : buy the catalogue from the auction.

I KNEW IT I KNEW IT.

Even before this, as a fanartist, I planned to make my own illustrated “the tale of the three brothers” book, but BAH, she beat me to it!

Avatar Image says:

Good on you Jo! This is another fine example of the work Jo does for the sake of Charity along with acknowledging other people for whatever private reasons she has.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder what the catalogue is?

I want to read Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump! I hope one day we will get to read these stories. I thought the “The Tale of the Three Brothers” was a magnificent fairytale on par with the best of Hans Christian Anderson and Oscar Wilde.

Avatar Image says:

...but does this mean that we, the normal fans who can’t afford to buy it at auction, are never going to get to read it? hurray for charity and all, but… i want to read it. :(

Avatar Image says:

I think she would make more money if she publish the book and donates the author rights to the charities, than if she auctions a single copy. And of course, all us would be able to read it… :(

Avatar Image says:

How about releasing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – The Authors Cut with extended never before read scenes, extended Epilogue and an alternative ending with commentary footnotes tracks by the Author and Editor. All proceeds go to Charity.

Alright then, I’ll take the catalogue

Avatar Image says:

“The 48 page commemorative catalogue contains a message from the author about the creative inception of ‘The Tales of Beedle the Bard’ plus images from the manuscript itself.”

The catalogue is quite cheap : $16 or £8, I’ll buy one :)

Avatar Image says:

I want to be a billionare!!!!! It’s not fair!! I wish it was a public release!!!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe along with the sale of the book, Jo will have a public reading from it? That would raise money. Just wishful thinking.

Avatar Image says:

i think that thats so scabbish of jk – shes making other people pay for a £30,000plus book when she her self is one of the richest women in britain!!!!!!! normal people like us will never see it – she could at least give it to a museum or something. i know its for a deserving cause but still 30 grand is a lot of money for us but its like 30pounds for her

Avatar Image says:

Maybe the person/corporation that buys it will find some legal way to publish it. I’m sure she has thought about this, so why not just publish it herself for the masses and then give proceeds to charity. As for the six she is honoring privately, isn’t it honor enough just to have a hand-written book by this amazing author.

Avatar Image says:

So, a book we’ll never see, a lawsuit for Steve Vander Ark, and no more Wizard of the Month.

What a time to be a fan. rolls eyes

OMG!!!!!!!

I wish it was being published!! I wanna read it!!!!!!!

CRIES

Avatar Image says:

I understand it’s for charity, but why couldn’t she have done what she did with Fantastic beasts and quidditch through the ages? At least then then fans wouldn’t be so disappointed. I’m so excited that she wrote this book but ridiculously disappointed that I won’t get to read it.

Avatar Image says:

Lets get Leaky to start a drive so that we can bid for it.

Avatar Image says:

Im upset but then again Im happy for Charity and I think its great shes doing it. But then again Im hoping the stories are published in the excyclopedia!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Whoop-de-doo. Another thing auctioned off into priveleged, private hands, never to see the light of day (well, not for AGES, anyway) when she could have raised more by publishing it, even if the publishers and printers were paid.

Avatar Image says:

Someone said 30k..? I think thats an under-estimation by a LOT..I think its a great idea but as there are so many, esp. kids, who would love to read it she needs to come up with a plan to allow all of us to read it or maybe hear it it read some how…

Avatar Image says:

A word of advice to Beadle to Bard: Watch it! In a heartbeat, Jo’s lawyers will be on to you with a lawsuit for writing a story first mentioned in her books.

Avatar Image says:

How wonderful! I want to hope that one day I, too, will get the chance to read this collection. Jo’s writing is just so elegant.

Avatar Image says:

danielle wrote: Does this mean we’ll NEVER be able to read these stories? that’s a bit cruel :(

actually, some of the published pics on the BBC articles show text. you can just make out the beginning of the Hopping pot story

Yeh, i’m dissapointed about the WOTM too

Avatar Image says:

I want to read about Babbity Rabbity!!

Yeh, i’m dissapointed about the WOTM too

Avatar Image says:

GottaloveLuna – I think the name “Harry Potter” is now Taboo – the moment you say it, ten lawyers apparate around you.

;)

Avatar Image says:

Dave – including the huge blonde one?? :)

Avatar Image says:

What a beautiful gift to give someone!! Too bad we can’t read them this way…

Avatar Image says:

Jo still has the copyright of those stories even though she’s giving the books away, so it means that the owners of the books can’t publish the stories, but Jo can, whenever she wants! So, I at least am hoping that she will some day publish the stories, maybe in the Encyclopedia. At least some of them or parts of them. But think about it, it wouldn’t be a personal gift if the rest of the world got to read the book at the same time.

Avatar Image says:

I to feel it to be a bit cruel to make it so public that no one else can get a copy of the book,(I don’t have $62,000 lying around the house, bank, etc, do any of you?). That was my favortie part of The Deathly Hallows, when they read the story of Beedle the Bard. Maybe if we make enough noise it will later become a full release. I don’t think it is fair to fans who have had just as intimate a relationship as she has with Harry Potter, et al. It makes me think maybe we shouldn’t get excited about the encyclopedia she’s promised. Is she going to do the same thing with that? I could go on all day…

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter, if you liked Tale of the Three Brothers read The Canterbury Tales – can’t remember whose tale it was (definitely one of the ecclesiastical ones) but hers is basically based on that.

Avatar Image says:

no new WOTM? Jo, you are gonna to loose your fans one per one… i dont recognise you from july to now.

Avatar Image says:

OMG this sounds wonderful!!! I only whis I could be able to read it… :/ Please jk!!!! I hope it will be a release somday anyway… I WOULD LOVE IT!!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with most comments in that the fact that this work is not going to see public release is cruel, especially when she’s been telling us she’s not writing and that she’s going to write anything to do with Harry Potter for a long time.

I’m usually very impressed with the way Rowling handles herself with the press and relating information to her fans. She’s let me down, here.

Avatar Image says:

lets see – starting price £30,000 id say it might possibly reach £250,000…

Avatar Image says:

I saw a “Blurb” about this, on Yahoo!News, this morning. I decided to check it out, on TLC, first! I am very glad I did. But I am very dismayed at the fan reaction….1) JKR is not OUT to “make money” on this.20)For those who don’t know, ‘Fantastic Beasts’ and ‘Quiditch Through The Ages’ was already written and released. (and is still available, I think) 100% of the profits, going to charity.Finally, I agree with valma. It wouldn’t be a personal gift, if the whole world got to read the book at the same time. I also think that, she’s right. I would not be suprised if the stories are included in the ‘Encyclopedia’. Yes: “what a time to be a fan”.....to see someone, with that kind of money, doing so much for charity…despite all the negativity. Good For You JK!

Avatar Image says:

Seriously! I thought the lawsuit and this were just one elaborate joke that Leaky and Jo did together, I mean they did meet when Jo came to the US right?—Is it too much to expect that this was a joke rather than the fact that The-Books-That-Must-Not-Be-Named is making me crawl into a ball and feel a little depressed…I hope we can hear Jo’s side of the story – this just seems completely wierd to me…I’m still waiting for Melissa to jump out and say ‘gotcha!’

Avatar Image says:

Tears of happiness! Oh my god YAY! I wonder who the other six copies are going to! (nudge, nudge)

C’mon guys, don’t fret, we’ll see it eventually, somehow! :) YAY! I’m so fricken happy!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, Sibylle, could you please tell me where to go to get a copy of the catalog?

Avatar Image says:

please say that jessie above is jo’s daughter and that she knows something that we dont!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hey, if you guys hate J.K. Rowling that much, why do you keep coming to this site and commenting everything negatively? It just ruins the mood for the most of us. I think it’s really nice of her to give them as gifts and sell one for charity. It makes me smile to think that there are still unique books made in 2007. Those will be treasures after a 100 years time. Well they already are :)

Avatar Image says:

One or two additional comments: Yes, in a VERY SMALL way, it is “cruel”. Jo DID say that she wasn’t going to write anymore “Potter-related items” for a long time. Who’s to say that she didn’t have this “in the works” for some time? It isn’t an easy process to have all the expensive work done, on the cover. Nor to “hand write and illustrate” a 106pg book. As a fan, I am dismayed, that “we won’t get to see it, unless we have X-amount of dollars..Ladies and gentlemen: The Commemorative Catalogue is available, now, from Sotheby’s. It is $16. US. For me, it’s worth the wait and money for such a collector’s book. Yah. HUNDREDS of people will have it. I’m sure that HUNDREDS of fans will go and order it. But I will have MY copy. It may be all I’ll ever see, but I’ll have it. I am still of the opinion that Ms Rowling is a wonderful, charitable person. To come up with this idea must have taken some thought, time and money. ALL of which she has, in abundance, right now! JMHO

Avatar Image says:

benefits for charity would be MORE if the book is published and all us would be able to read it. now Jo is a wealthy woman that writes for wealthy people. cool Jo

Avatar Image says:

@carrie: Go to the ‘Sotheby’s’ link, provided at the end of the article, on TLC. When you get there, there is a “buy the catalogue button”...follow the link, and you’ll have the list. It is available in several diffrent forms. One is JUST JKR’s book, and the other is the whole Sotheby’s Catalogue for the Auction. The Catalogue, for Jo’s book, is $16. US. The Whole Auction Catalogue is $48. US. On the left, it will tell you when it is available for pre-order (right now, looks like) and when it will be shipped. Both for the pre-order and the regular. I imagine that the “shipped no later than 30 days before the auction” is to insure that everyone, who wants to bid (on anything being offered) will receive it in a timely manner. GO FOR IT!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, this is awesome. A bit sad that we’ll never get to read it though. Do you think that maybe it will be released for the public as a book (not the original copies, of course)in some years?

@Moon,

we “Snapes” are too shabby and too poor for her further books. James Potter wold have paid for one of the books. Cause he was wealthy and a Gryffindor. No chance for usual human beings.

Avatar Image says:

1. The six people deserve such a wonderful gift from Jo. How amazing a gift this is!

2. The auctioned copy is a treasure, the sale of which will help the children supported by the charity.

3. Everyone who is complaining about Jo over the last couple of days: Quit your whineing!! You are the most “fair weather” fans I have ever seen! Dumbledore is gay. Jo is a businesswoman. It’s not the end of the world!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, to be a really rich philanthropist would be so awesome right now…

Avatar Image says:

Of course, We Muggle readers are actually here to just raise the price of her noble acts. She knows what she’s doing, doesn’t she?

Avatar Image says:

I bet it will be published in the encyclopedia. Seeing as how she hasn’t even started officially writing it even though it’s a lot of stuff that she cut, there is going to be some time before it comes out.. So I bet it will be in there.

I mean JKR is loyal to her fans. I don’t feel like she would do something like this just for the rich elite. I have faith that we will one day get to read this!!

Avatar Image says:

As an avid collector of HP, more than anything else Rowling has done, this HUGELY annoys me! Why on god’s green earth would a BILLIONAIRE produce only seven books, plan to auction JUST ONE of them off for “a children’s charity” and give the rest away as gifts when we – the fans – are the very people who made her rich??

Does she think we WOULDN’T want to buy it? Why doesn’t she MASS PRODUCE this “special book” and give ALL the proceeds to charity? THAT would make a bigger difference than auctioning ONE book. Even if this one book brings in $10 million, that’s a PITTANCE of what she is worth and how much money she alone could give to charity. She could even mass produce the book herself! And if she gave the proceeds to charity, that would make her fans happy AND benefit the charity!

I’m very disappointed in her decision.

applauds

Well said, Glenn. I think this is a wonderful, beautiful gesture from Jo. Those six people are fans, too, remember, as well as having been the ones to support Jo through this incredible process. Gosh, they are lucky! I’m happy for them.

@gkmouse,

I´m convinced MRs. Rowling does not give a damn about the readerships meanings. We have paid already, that is enough for her. She does not need us anymore.

Avatar Image says:

We should do a charety drive again. I didn’t get to participate last time (was too young and wasn’tallowed) and I really wantto read this!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Matthew 6 Giving to the Needy 1”Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear. How churlish, not to mention childish, so many of you are. “It’s not fair, I want it and I can’t have it”.

This is Jo’s way of giving something very special to a very small hand-picked group of supporters plus a charity. No one could possibly want to read this more than I do, but all I can think is “Good for her”. These books are all hand written and are entirely unique. There is nothing to stop her from publishing a printed version at some point in the future, perhaps for comic relief again, though quite frankly having read some of the messages on here who could blame her for thinking ‘stuff the lot of them’.

It really is very sad how utterly selfish some people are. Did you understand nothing when reading the Harry Potter books?

Avatar Image says:

Sounds a bit like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the 5 Golden Tickets eh?

I wonder if she would get more for the charity if, after auctioning off the single, leather-bound book and giving out the other five, she had a paperback version to sell to the general public???

Avatar Image says:

And to those expressing disappointment: Would you begrudge those closest to Jo the opportunity to have something beautiful and unique? Would you begrudge this charity its money? Truly, I don’t understand. If you were somehow, miraculously, in her place, wouldn’t you want to give your family and friends something no one else has? Wouldn’t you want to raise money for the charity you founded?

Avatar Image says:

(Joining Mountain Violet, with standing ovation toward Glenn)

Concise and to the point. Says it all! I am very proud to be a JKR/HP Fan.

Avatar Image says:

@karen, do your really think people need JKR´s HP to know love and mercy? Then you are wrong! Wake up,try reality. By the way: did you ever heard about marketing and publicity compaigns?

Avatar Image says:

omg! NOT AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLICEVER? is leaky going to put together another drive a la the original get a clue, please?!

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Glenn. Jo has already given all of us so much, I dont think its fair for people to come on here and bash her for a sentimental, personal gift she wants to give to her loved ones… she didnt have to write a 7th, but she did- and shes putting it towards a good cause. Look at her dedication in Deathly Hallows. Its only right that there should be a seventh for her fans. Eventually we will be able to read it, I have no doubts about that.

Avatar Image says:

There will probably be some sort of “anti-collector’s edition” version of this at some point, maybe on a website. After all, the same thing happened with the original Homestar Runner book.

Avatar Image says:

and yes, for the people who are complaining about jo so much lately – seriously, get the hell out.

Avatar Image says:

I think its great that she wants to raise money for charity, but why don’t us loyal fans get thought of. I think it is so unfair. I’d never in a millon years be able to afford it. Why can’t it be published & the proceeds go to charity?

Avatar Image says:

All you “true” JR fans: How brown are your noses already?

Avatar Image says:

I hoping that whoever gets it will be lovely enough to let us know what the stories are about, or something like that. Who knows? Maybe Jo will put one of them in the Encyclopaedia.

Avatar Image says:

I think all the publicity is to raise the profile of the Childrens’ Voice charity, not JKR’s or the HP books. I think that, in due course, she will publish Beedle in a facsimile edition for all the fans and again that profits will go to her charity.

BUT BUT BUT>> this way, her gratitude is felt by those closest to her, her Charity gets LOTS of publicity ( and the cause they fight for is PUBLICISED and perhaps PUBLIC pressure put on those people in high places in the relevant countries treating children so cruelly). Then there can be another bite of the apple in a year or two when she publishes the tales for the rest of us, yet more PUBLICITY for Childrens’ Voice, (which she is probably trying to make a household name, not an also-ran to her public persona ) .

Perhaps JKR wishes for her legacy to not just be her published work, but the good use to which she has turned her money, public profile and influence.

Hmmn?

Ahh, I hope they publish it eventually.. :(

Avatar Image says:

To care about poor children is of course a good thing to do, no doubt. But. She could auction the books without the publicity hype. She doubtlessly knows enough people who have got a lot of money and are willing to buy the books.

Avatar Image says:

What’s wrong with all of you? Jo’s doing such a nice thing – she’s rich enough but instead of going out and buying things for those who stayed by her helping her with all the books, she’s handwriting a book for each of them. And like someone said, she didn’t have to write a seventh but she’s doing it for charity. Jo’s writing an encyclopedia for us fans and you’re grumbling that only her friends can get to read these Tales.

Avatar Image says:

Oh man!! i wish i had that!!! but its starting at 30000 pounds!! ahhh!! 60000 bucks! come on! well i hope that a true potter fan is able to get it, and share it with the rest of the fandom. thats what i would do if i had that kind of money.

Avatar Image says:

Also, tiny detail from the BBC interview video..dod you notice the box of tissues beside JKR on her sofa? Poor thing’s got a bad cold, probably from all the travelling, air travel is notorious for that.

Just saying, Aww, poor Jo-Jo

Ava B

Avatar Image says:

“Mooom, I want Peter’s gifts! I wants them, no fair!”
    “No honey, you can’t have everything. It’s Peter’s birthday, not yours.”
    “Moooooooom! You’re evil money-grabbing witch and it’s your duty to give things to ME! It’s soooo unfaaaiir! I hate you!”

Avatar Image says:

Any chance of Leaky doing a fundraiser to attempt to win the auction? I’d donate!!

Avatar Image says:

I feel an Eric Cartman moment coming on!

Avatar Image says:

i’m actually somebody who might be able to go to the auction and get the book! I’m not a billionaire, but I net-worth of my family, we own a fortune 500 company is in the millions. I don’t care if you don’t believe me. I wonder if I have to a citizen of UK?

Avatar Image says:

The six recipients of these hand-written books will readily appreciate the thought that went into the gifts. She didn’t feel that anything store-bought was good enough to express her love and gratitude, so she gave them her time and talent by hand writing stories and illustrating them in beautiful books. Not content with that she had the covers enhanced by Scottish jewellers with individual designs. There had to be seven, of course, it is the magical number according to tradition, and this was gifted for a charity auction for children who are totally unwanted. I find the whole thing deeply moving and original in concept. I am utterly disgusted with some of the comments I have read here.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, reading the comments on Leaky I’m over this already – Good on Jo for doing something for charity as she always has. I hope it raises alot of money and the person who recieves it in the end appreciates it. Didn’t Dan’s Mum buy him something of JKR’s that was on auction as well? It’d be nice to see someone involved in some way with HP to get it but either way I’m sure it will raise money. And I’d be interested to see who she gives the other 6 too – just out of interst.

Avatar Image says:

Why is every time jo gives to charity, it is from a book that she is selling or auctioning? I never heard of her giving money out of her own billionary pocket.

The charity would get more money if this was on sell to the fans she still has (I never intend to buy anything from her again), then the thousands she would get out of this auction for them.

And to people who say jo did us a favor, and we should appreciate her, give me a break. -Her last two books were crappy. -She can’t get her facts about her own world straight, and/or keep changing them. -She is control freak, telling us to view her characters how she sees it. Ex. being snape -She categorize a whole group in her book as evil (the slytherins (sp)). Teaching kids its okay to demonize everyone on the side your fighting with. -she sues everyone it seems (theres that control freak character of hers again). -We made her billionary. So if anything, she owes her fans.

Avatar Image says:

Like several others here, I’m wondering if there is any chance whatsoever that Leaky will change the Get A Clue Drive towards this object?

Unlikely, I know, but I am waiting with baited breath (and an open checkbook).

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry, but this is one of the most goofy ideas I’ve ever heard of. So, one really super rich person gets the book. The rest of us.. the ones who bought all the other books… get zip.

She’d probably make more money for her charity if she published the book and let everyone buy a copy.

Avatar Image says:

not, I think you are misunderstanding Jo.

For one thing, she gives away her billions to charity directly and anonymously.

She’s already written two books purely for charity, and she has announced her intentions to write another. Its her world and if she chooses to reserve a little part of it to those most dear to her, she has the right. I don’t think we can begrudge her that, no matter how agonizing it is to know that we cannot have access to this canon.

Avatar Image says:

@ Upps, I’m afraid you’ve completely missed my point. Of course you shouldn’t need HP to teach you love and mercy. However, the type of person who snarls and carps because they are excluded from something that someone has made with love to give to a few other people and with compassion to give to a charity clearly hasn’t learnt about love and mercy fullstop. It is extremely ironic that they are demonstrating their failing on a site dedicated to HP, which is a story from which they certainly could have learnt these attributes.

@ PensievePlotter – I don’t think you need to be a UK citizen. They often have telephone bidders at these sorts of auctions. If you can afford to bid for the book then the phone bill generated from this shouldn’t be a problem for you!

Avatar Image says:

I think what JKR is doing here for her children’s charity is wonderful.

I’d love to read Beedle’s tales. Hopefully, she’ll make them available to the general public in the future.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, this is a bit weird. I have been thinking about it all day and I’m starting to get over it. Almost. Sorta. Okey, not at all, but it hurts a little bit less. Naturally, these gifts will mean so much more to the six lucky people who will get them if the rest of the world doesn’t get to share them. At first I wanted the one who bought the seventh copy to share it with everyone, and I still want that. Just not at once. Give the other six owners some time first. Please. It’s more than right. But then, after a month or so, please let us see it! Pretty please?

I felt like she had slapped us all in our faces, at first. Starting with the Steve thing, and now this. I think it’d have been a bit better to hear of these things seperatley, but as it is now… Ouch. We’ve defended Jo in all kinds of situations, we love Harry. Why can’t we see this book? But I guess she wanted to make a special gift, and I guess that she has the right to do that. Bit it still feels the slightest bit horrible. Yay, a book we’ll never read. What a great Harry Potter day.

Yes, I’m bitter. No, not going to change anytime soon. Yes, I’ll survive. We all will, sooner or later. (Later.) And hey, I’ve found our silver lining!!! She would never be able to use her own encyclopedia as an argument against Steve’s unless she was really, definitely going to write it. And I know it’s not a surprise, but she just can’t back out on this now. I think it’s finally (completely) safe to say that there w i l l b e an encyclopedia!!!!! YAY!

So, let us all cry for a while, and then move on. I’m disappointed too. Just a little less now when I’ve had time to get used to it.

Avatar Image says:

@not. JKR owes us? Don’t think so. She has made a contribution to popular culture and she is trying to make a charitable contribution through this auction. Enjoy her series for what they are, great stories and stop attacking people you don’t even know.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, if only I were a bazillionare. But despite everyone else’s misgivings, I think this is a really wonderful thing she’s doing for the children. Maybe twenty years from now the person who buys the book might decide to share its contents with the world.

Avatar Image says:

“For one thing, she gives away her billions to charity directly and anonymously.”

Avatar Image says:

Wow! The fans get hit again. Oops. Hurry up and wait everybody. It will be years before we see this one at our local bookseller.

Maybe they will and maybe they won’t publish something for us again. LOL

Avatar Image says:

“If she is going to put out there that she is somone who gives to charities, then show us that you do it out of your own pocket too.”

Well, I believe you are mistaken in thinking that she announced this book simply to show how much she give to charities. Jo has never been like that.

She announced it so that people would know so that it will earn even more money for charity.

I don’t believe Jo is the type to flaunt her generosity, except in cases where it would draw more attention to the issue and make others more generous.

Avatar Image says:

‘So why do we need to know about this and others. If she is going to put out there that she is somone who gives to charities, then show us that you do it out of your own pocket too.’

Because this is a publicity event to raise money, whereas money from her own pocket needs no publicity. Some people give portions of their own money to charity and make a huge song and dance about it, without ever actually putting any effort into a cause.

Honestly, I’m feeling ashamed about the entitlement issues of my fellow fans right now.

Avatar Image says:

My last comment on this subject:

“36??? But LAST year, there were 37!....I don’t care HOW big they are!!!”

Sound familiar, to any HP fan? Y’all sound a tad like ‘Dudley’, don’t you think? GET A GRIP, people! “I want it, I want it now! You OWE it to ME!” How very sad…......Ms Rowling, you OWE nothing to anyone. Your love and caring for both the Fans you have accumulated, and Charity (on BOTH sides of the Pond) are legendary!It has shown, these last 17 years, and despite what ANYONE here says, I imagine it will go on a long long time. If just one person gives, a fraction, it will be well worth it!

Avatar Image says:

Two items puzzle me about the comments posted to date.

First, I have not seen anywhere the words “this book will never be available as a mass publication”. Has anyone? My assumption is that the collection will be available “someday”, and given the length, probably with the proceeds going to a charity. If my assumption is correct, then we just need to be patient and await its arrival. Could be wrong, but the rending of clothes and whining is tiresome.

Second, what’s with the JKR bashing? Some of you are trying to portray her as greedy, etc etc…Haven’t you known all along that she does in fact make extremely large checks out to various charities of her choice (in particular to MS research and care charities, as well as a number involved with children’s issues). And if you aren’t aware of that fact, then excuse me if I question just how much interest you really have in TLC, HP and JKR. And anytime something happens, such as the India Incident, or the newest surrounding Steve Van Ark’s Lexicon, fingers point at her personally instead of recognizing its the corporate lawyers (and I think primarily working with WB) who are acting in her name. I personally would like to know—out of curiousity only, since I cannot do a darn thing about anything and really don’t care in the end—just how much control over anything she really has these days.

Was it Dave who posted above, about there being a Trace on the words “Harry Potter”, and if you utter them ten lawyers will instantly Apparate to your side and hand you legal papers? Good one, whoever it was!

So, with that, I will just sip my coffee, and look forward to the probablity that the Tales of Beedle will be available at the local bookstore, “someday”.

Avatar Image says:

I forgot to add that I LOVE the covers for these books. I have a great intrigue of rare books, and these seven books are special. Besides, I’m also an environmentalist, so as far as I’m concerned money is being raised for charity with the bonus of lower production damage and transport pollution.

Don’t tell other people how they should be raising funds. It’s like telling people off for donating to the ‘wrong’ charity. Petty, petty.

Avatar Image says:

When I read about the six dedicated handwritten books, I thought it was nice. But the seventh book in auction annoys me. It’s really amazing… for the few people that can afford it. Yay for rich people. Too bad for 99% of the other Harry Potter fans.

(I know it’s for charity, but I think it might bring more money to charity if a less expensive version was available for the rest of the world.)

Avatar Image says:

Unless these six recepients are absolute saints, something tells me a copy of this book will be leaked online soon enough. No worries HP fans. And if the very rude portion of you all could stop treating Jo like sh*t the rest of us would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Avatar Image says:

sighs this is so unfair…

Avatar Image says:

But we get the enclopaedia (the real one) and we got the Comic Relief books. We got the Harry Potter series too. J. K. Rowling doesn’t owe us every single thing she pens. She doesn’t owe us squat, as a matter of fact. We didn’t donate to her bank account, we purchased what she provided and we kept doing so because we loved her work. That’s cause and effect. That’s business.

Besides, rather than just being a treat for rich people, it’s a treat for one owner who will presumably have to be rich. That’s usually the nature of something very rare, unless you happen to be very fortuitous with rummages through charity shops and small town auctions. Keeping it rare makes it all the more special as a gift to the other six owners, as well as giving just the one book that special boost at auction.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe she will give the tales from “Beedle the Bard” in the future encyclopedia? Hopefully, at least. I can understand that only a few, specially-created books are going to certain people, but why withhold the actual text? But let’s not be greedy and appreciate what Jo has done.

Avatar Image says:

Let me ask again, in a fashion uncluttered by other words:

Has anyone seen anywhere a statement that the Tales of Beedle the Bard will never be mass printed?

If someone has, please indicate specifically where. Otherwise, please go outside, enjoy the day, and remain optimistic that sooner or later the Tales will be made available to all of us.

Avatar Image says:

This is really unfair. Jo has entranced us with the Harry Potter world, and she knows how much of us religiously seek every piece of canon we can. To withhold the “Tales of Beedle the Bard” to her friends and the rich, seems like a slap in the face.

Avatar Image says:

To reiterate recent posters.

These are special handwritten, special fancy and decorated leather bound editions for some special friends and an auction.

She never said the tales wouldn’t be published for the rest of us at some point.

Avatar Image says:

Hullo Mrs. Rowling. I do not understand this! You could let print the book for the common public as well. You could easily use the proceeds (which would not be low, I am convinced about that)for charity reason as well.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome!Hope this book goes on sale for the public!

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps after the auction she’ll announce that the book will be mass published for all of us to have. This auction does take place on Dec. 13th, a day-after announcement would make a wonderful Christmas present. :) Though I doubt anything would be released for this holiday season unless they’ve secretly been printing millions of copies.

Avatar Image says:

Also, I don’t see why she would tell us all this on her website just to tease us and make us angry.

Avatar Image says:

Thank God the books are done. The Last month has left a sour taste in my Harry Potter mouth. Drops unneeded bomb shells, sues Steve V. (even after she has basically told the fandom we will have to bloody wait for an encyclopedia), now this one copy book, and in the past making Leaky and Muggle net loose there T-shirts. She has tuned into Applesoft.

Jeff

Avatar Image says:

Eh? Hasn’t JRK given us enough?! Some of you are starting to sound like Dudley. JKR owes us nothing.

Avatar Image says:

Exciting news! And there I was, imagining her putting her feet up and enjoying a well deserved break. I’m really impressed with her drive to create.

On another note: She made an unfortunate mistake in that BBC video interview, when she said she had never previously been asked whether Dumbledore ever fell in love, and then said that, if she had been asked earlier, she would have said then that she always took him to be gay. This is from the Blue Peter interview she did shortly before the release of Book 7:

ROSE: My question is did Albus Dumbledore ever fall in love?

JKR: Ummmm… Well, in the course of a long life, I think nearly everyone falls in love, but you probably shouldn’t read too much into that answer.

That said, I think it makes PERFECT sense that she would choose not introduce homosexuality into a discussion with young children (and pets in capes! so cute!), on a young children’s TV show. So, basically, she WAS asked the question previously, but it was under very unusual circumstances that precluded a full, grown-up answer. Still, I hope someone points this tidbit out to her so that she doesn’t repeat her misstatement too much more. (The same misstatement was made on this week’s Pottercast, btw. But hey, if Jo can’t remember all her own words, we surely can’t blame our intrepid Pottercasters either!)

Avatar Image says:

@Billy she wants to slap us hard, as poor Snape. Maybe we deserve it, she wants revenge. There are too many Snape lovers out there.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Billy. I understand and appreciate Jo’s act for her close, personal friends – and I think that’s great to give them something unique (and believe me, I would use an Unforgivable Curse to get my hands on this book). But, WHY did she have to publicize this charitable act? Certainly Jo would have known that this “exclusive” book would have angered her loyal fans. I think this an almost Deathly Hallows Dumbledore-like moment: We are realizing that Jo is not the pure, all-good demigod that we have known so far. Now, we are seeing that sometimes she makes mistakes – and publicizing this charitable act is one of them.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry about the fonts in my previous post! I was trying to make dotted lines. Here it is again in normal size (I hope):

ROSE: My question is did Albus Dumbledore ever fall in love?

That said, I think it makes PERFECT sense that she would not make an announcement about homosexuality in front of an audience of young children (and pets in capes! so cute!), on a children’s TV show. Basically, she WAS asked the question previously, but it was under very unusual circumstances that precluded a full, adult answer. Still, I hope someone points this tidbit out to her so that she doesn’t repeat her misstatement too much more. (The same misstatement was made on this week’s Pottercast, btw. But hey, if Jo can’t remember all her own words, we surely can’t blame our intrepid Pottercasters either!)

Avatar Image says:

How on earth would you expect anyone to bid for the book if the fact that it’s being auctioned is not publicised. She needs to announce that the auction is taking place so that as many people bid as possible so that it gets sold for the highest possible price so that the charity gets loads of money. Good grief, it’s not Rocket Science.

Avatar Image says:

No more Wizards of the Month? Why? I was really looking forward to seeing the new WOTM this morning, and, indeed, for however long her website is up. Please, Jo! This has been one of the few, if any, updates your fans could look forward to!

Avatar Image says:

It had to be – my first thought when Hermione received ‘The Tales of Beedle the Bard’ was Has Jo written them yet? Now she has – and a chosen few will read them in her own hand.

I can’t believe that they will not at some future date be printed for general sale for her charity, once the first seven owners have had them for a while.

@ Arithmancer

If she was indifferent to reactions of kids in Carnegie Hall regarding “the adult stuff”, then she shouldn’t see any problems in “Blue Peter” show, IMO. It only comes to the fact, that “Blue Peter” was transmited a day before DH publication.

Avatar Image says:

It was the Pardoner’s Tale, I believe.

Avatar Image says:

What a snob…she is closing out on her fans AGAIN! Why not make it a full release?

Avatar Image says:

Apologies for cross-posting, but there are now two overlapping threads going on this topic.

I went back and re-listened to the BBC interview, several times. At the 3.46 mark (out of 3.55 minutes), the announcer indicates that none of the 7 copies can be published or reproduced, because JKR owns the copyright.

In legal terms, this statement means that those she gave the books to as gifts, plus the yet-unknown purchaser of copy 7, cannot sell their copy to a publisher. I would assume all 7 involved were required (will be required) to sign a legal contract to that effect as well.

It also means—or for you who prefer precision in language, “strongly implies”—that JKR does intend to make the Tales available for publication at some future date. Since she has made the news of the Tales public, and knowing this announcement would generate fan interest, I would venture the guess that she will do so during 2008. I would also guess that any proceeds will go to charity, similar to Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic beasts.

And I can only add: Patience, mes amis, patience!

Avatar Image says:

I think this a wonderful thing Jo is doing. As a fan of course I want to read the book, but I think the needs of abused children in eastern Europe are more important. Plus, the tales aren’t important to the harry potter series, except of the tale of the three brothers and we already know that one.

@ aillinne

I agree that timing (i.e., being one day before the release of DH) may have had something, or even everything, to do with it. In other words, I’m a skeptic too.

Still, Blue Peter is a nationally broadcast TV show explicitly designed for small children, and the level of the conversation was therefore a bit different from that of a conversation with a mixed, live audience of children and adults at Carnegie Hall. So, there’s a point to be made on the non-skeptic’s side as well.

In spite of what she says in the BBC interview, though, I’m really not sure what she would have done had she been asked that question in front of a mixed audience right before the release of Book 7. It would have generated quite the media fiasco, I’m sure.

@ Arithmancer

I totally agree with you.

Avatar Image says:

It’s really nice what she’s doing for her special 6 friends and the 7th one for Charity and one lucky fan. But why does she have to make such a big deal about it? It’s like she’s throwing it in our faces, “Hahaha, you can’t read them. Hahahaha!” I don’t know, it’s mean. She didn’t have to say anything. Just make the books for your friends, give them to them, tell them to say nothing, and the end. None of your MILLIONS of fans have to know, and none of them have to get angry or sad that you’re not writing these stories for them, and they’re just as big fans as your friends. I hope that makes sense. I say this because as a fan, I’m sad that I’ll never be able to read these fables from the HP series. It’s funny because while reading the 7th book, I actually thought how cool it would be if Jo wrote that fables book as an official companion book, like Quidditch Through the Ages and the other one. And PLEASE, she could have easily chosen a 7th person to give the last book to. I dunno, just, she seems to be throwing this in her fans faces. Not to mention that most of her fans are children, and many are not RICH, who the hell BUT a RICH person will be able to buy that special 7th book? sad sigh

Avatar Image says:

Unless I misunderstood, is it me or is this a great oppurtunity for Leaky to start a drive to bid for it? Like the first Get A Clue drive?

Avatar Image says:

I am happy that she is able to do this! Of course I would love to beable to read the book and perhaps one day she will publish it. I think she is an amazing person! Not only has she written 7 wonderful books but she has created this whole world around them. Perhaps we should all learn from her and give to those less privilaged then us if not with money than time. way to go JO!

Avatar Image says:

I really, I mean REALLY, REALLY, want to read the fairytales!!! And imagine if you got one! I mean think how rare they are! OMG that is my NEW dream! To read the Tales of Beetle and Bard! My old one was to meet Jk and get my book signed but that already happened in New York! :D

Avatar Image says:

That’d be a really cool read. I wish she’d publish THAT to the general public!

Avatar Image says:

What a wonderful thing Jo is doing for charity!

Avatar Image says:

OMG! I would give anything to have that book!!!

Avatar Image says:

I cannot believe the way some of the people here are talking: “JKR is cruel.” “I don’t recognize her from July to now.” How utterly ridiculous you all sound. She’s amazing.

She’s doing this for CHARITY… for little kids that have been locked away in cages and treated with disdain… and you think you are the victim. Puuuuuuuuhleaaaaaaase.

Go Jo!

Avatar Image says:

This is totally cruel. Only the rich and famous get to buy and read this fabulous leather-bound book? At least with Quidditch Through the Ages it became a wide release, in a crappy paperback book. This book looks like it came straight from the Hogwarts Library, and the fact that fans will NEVER be able to own one is completely cruel. We have loyally stuck with her through 10 years of Potter. She should loyally stick with us and not keep any more secrets!

Avatar Image says:

for charity…bah.. she has enough to just give 100 million to wherever..

60k..thats nothing…and someone else is giving the money to the charity…bah on you J.K.bah.

Avatar Image says:

Not all seven books are being giving to charity, just 1. The other 6 were meant as gifts to people close to her during the 17 years she wrote the book. She isn’t trying to be cruel to the fans, she is just recognizing the hard work other people put into the books. Then she made an extra to donate.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sure when she finnally releases the encyclopediathat she will include the stories. How could she not? they are textbook examples of the type of thing the encyclopedia will be for. Right now she wants it to be special for the 6 people who have always been there for her from the very start, which is fitting. But the encyclopedia wont be around for a few years probably and by then she will probably be ok with sharing the stories with the rest of us.

Avatar Image says:

OMG, you people really need to get over yourselves. Cruel??? you’ve got to be kidding. First: this book has NOTHING TO DO WITH HARRY POTTER!! Yes, the title was listed in her book, and yes, one of the stories was told in DH. It is not a potter book. None of the characters are there! She was not lying when she said she wasnt going to do any potter related books right away. Sheesh. Cruel??? when I first read this, I never came anywhere near thinking it was cruel. i thought (a) wow… she continues to be so generous to charity, and (b) wow, i wonder who those 6 lucky friends are that are getting a copy. What a wonderful gift. Cruel? please.

I guess that’s what happens when you are so giving to your fandom: they become expectant and selfish.

WOAH! SEVEN books. suspects them to be Horcruxs

anywaaaay THIS SOUNDS AMAZING

Avatar Image says:

I like the idea of trying to raise money here at Leaky to place a bid for the book. What I think would be even better, though, would be for Leaky to put together a petition (try to get thousands of e-signatures) asking Jo to please reconsider publishing a general release version of this book for charity (as with Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through the Ages). I think she could still do that and not take anything away from the people who got the seven handwritten copies (after all, they’re rare leather-bound copies handwritten by the author—valuable collectors items even if the stories themselves are released to the public).

Avatar Image says:

Fandom is just so selfish. She created 6 as a gift and one for charity. They’re gifts. Leave her alone. She isn’t obligated to do anything like this for fans. Be thankful enough that she wrote the wonderful series. Honestly…don’t you see the beauty behind those books? She’ll probably release the books in her encyclopedia or in the future anyways.

Avatar Image says:

I find this incredibly unfair to those of us who have stuck by Jo since day one and read every book. The only person who will be able to read this book is some rich literature collector. I’m not a millionaire, there’s no way I could possibly bid at Sotheby’s. And think of the children who found reading through Harry Potter, who would love to read this book. Is it fair to them? Post-DH, there are things happening that are starting to bother me. I think there are far too many publicity stunts happening.

Avatar Image says:

I think it was cruel to tell everyone that there were six other copies made. If it had just been made public about the one and only copy being auctioned, fans wouldn’t be so upset. It’s like dangling the last book in front of your face and then not letting you read it.

Avatar Image says:

LMAO. The whiny, ungrateful, self entitled HP fandom strike again. God forbid everything not be about you, right? If I was JK Rowling I would have cut off contact with this fandom a long time ago.

@ bobby

Maybe you should cut off the contact with us himself? Huh?

Avatar Image says:

It’s not fair that she only wrote 7 of them. Why do people have to bid for it,doesn’t she understand that there are tons of us HP fans who would love to read it. I mean not all of us have tons of money to bid for that book. I really hope she does what she did with Fantastic Beast and Quidditch Through The Ages,where everyone could buy it. If not she is doing a big disservice to HP fans.

Avatar Image says:

That’s how i feel it should be more than 7. It should be for us the faithful HP fans who stuck through with the series from the start to the finish. I am a huge lover of literature,but i don’t have millions of dollars to put out for that book.

Avatar Image says:

JK has shown typical actions of people of modest means that are suddenly thrust on the public stage and amass a fortune. They forget the people that got them there. The millions of readers that enjoyed her books are cast aside like red-headed step children (no offense Weasley’s) with this auction. How much more would a charity benefit if the book was sold to the public? I am so disappointed in her. I thought here was finally someone that hit it rich and stayed grounded. Couple this with the Dumbledore revelation that served no purpose other than using her notoriety to make a political statement and my faith in her is torn. Sighhhhh.

Avatar Image says:

Hopefully, this will stop all the insane worship of this egotistic woman! She’s let all the press go to her head, and now is so full of herself she only protects her BILLIONS.

She donates a few thousand here and there of her own money (remember $1 MILLION dollars is only 10% of her wealth – kind of like $100 for most of us!) but for the most part she just gives her signature to be auctioned off. And in this case, the cruelest cut of all to the fans still grieving that the series is over – a new story that none of us will ever get to read! It stinks.

And now, even though WB stole Steve Vanderark’s work off his website (I have no idea if he was ever compensated or if he filed suit – as he should have!) she’s filing a law suit against him. When will people get it – she’s taking our money and laughing all the way to the bank.

Avatar Image says:

I am glad you said no offense Weasleys, cause Bonnie is redheaded, and she will always have all my time of the day.

Avatar Image says:

But yeah she is forgetting us fans who are the ones who made HP on top, and the biggest literature and movie series in years.

Avatar Image says:

I just hope she releases it for us hp fans to be able to buy it.

Avatar Image says:

She’s not obligated to give us fans anything. She’s already done enough of that. These 6 books are special gifts to her close friends and people who have helped her. The last book is being auctioned for charity. It just disgusts me to see how fans will turn their back on her and how they’re so whiny and selfish. I honestly hope that she’s kind enough to publish the book despite the harsh reaction of people who call them her ‘fans.’

Avatar Image says:

I cant believe I just read this: ”... the faithful HP fans who stuck through with the series …”

We stuck with her? Like it was tourture?? Like it was a chore?? you’ve got to be kidding! I read this series because I loved the books; I loved the characters and the stories. She spent 17 years creating a world for our enjoyment. She owes us NOTHING! I cannot believe how selfish the people on this comment thread are!

Do you all honestly think she “forgot” the fans that read her books? She did NOT have to tour the US and stop in Canada and do readings and signings and answer questions. She does NOT have to update her website with tidbits like hand-written pages and drawings. She really doesnt have to interact with us at all. But she does. She’s probably one of the most fan-friendly authers, period. You people are just selfish.

Oh, and ps: do you really think that this book will be bought by someone who will just read it then stick it on a shelf? It’ll probably be bought by a library, or a museum, or a corporation, that will most likely have it tour or display it somewhere. And yes, there’s a good chance it will either be published (in print form or in the encyclopedia) at a later date, but that’s besides the point. She made them as gifts to the people who were actually there for her during her creation of this world, and to raise money and AWARENESS of her charity. It’s not like she was going to sell these to us, then decided not to. These friends and this charity are the reason these books exist at all. Jeez, at Christmas time, when she gives gifts to her family, do you all expect one too???

The selfishness of this fandom at this time is staggering! I wonder if there’s a place that we mature, grateful, and faithful fans can register, so she knows the whole fandom isnt this way.

(and as for WB stealing SVAs work, you are kidding, right? Um… didnt he use all of JKR’s works to develop the timeline? it’s her work, he just put a linnear notation to it.)

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t mean it to come out like that. I was just saying it would be cool for us fans to be able to get it too. But it’s not that big of a deal like it had to with all the potter characters we’ve grown to love throughout the series. Yes JK has given us alot,with the whole 7 books of one of the greatest series of literature ever written. I am sorry i didn’t mean it that way. I was just thinking it would’ve been awesome to read those since they we’re featured in the last book.

Avatar Image says:

Yes i agree JK gives alot to HP fans,like coming over to the states to talk to fans also. So i change my opinion about what i said before. I am a devoted HP fan. I know JK gave alot just to come over for the hours of flight just to talk to fans.

Avatar Image says:

I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO OWN THAT BOOK!! As an HP fan I would love to read it, but, I’ve waited for each book to come out so far, I can wait for her to post the manuscript. :) And you can too! Although, it would be AMAZING to have the one of a kind, hand written, autographed, version! Oh, I dreamed about owning one of the 7 last night! I couldn’t stop thinking about it!:D Congrats to however does! You’re SO the LUCKIEST person in the WORLD!!

Avatar Image says:

I was just skimming over “Deathly Hallows” and guess what I found: “[Harry had] to accept that he had not been told everything that he wanted to know…” (Chapter 28). Let us try to imitate Harry, eh?

Avatar Image says:

wouldn’t more money be made if she were to somehow sell it to the masses? except for one book on auction?

Avatar Image says:

Yes. It happens all the time!!

I think some fans are sad the series is over and here is an opportunity for the fans to have enjoyed a new book and contributed to Jo’s favorite charity. Also, a good bit of the fandom is involved in many charities themselves. So to say we are all “selfish” is a little harsh.

Avatar Image says:

She can’t even give out gifts to her important people and auction a book FOR charity in mind, without people jumping on her. With the reaction of some people here, I wouldn’t be surprised if she decided to stop everything fan-related. If she decides not to publish the book for the public, despite being a bit disappointed, I would be behind her 100% because some people don’t deserve reading something she put so much effort into.

Avatar Image says:

Only just seen this news. What is Jo Rowling playing at? Suing fans – making people bid for a book. God this fame thing has gone to her head.

Avatar Image says:

Darn, I really wanna read this thing. Honestly. I’m so torn, this is so cool, and yet uncool at the same time. Please release this to the public at alater date. I’ll worship you forever puppy dog eyes

Avatar Image says:

Yeah but then what’s the point of writing them if fans get to see it at all. JK writing warnings for people not to read from it publicly or display the pages on the net. That’s not right she won’t let us even see the book unless we have millions and thousands of dollars to pay for it. That would be like if someone wrote an official biographer about Bonnie Wright, and said i couldn’t read i would be crushed.

Avatar Image says:

I meant couldnt read it.

Avatar Image says:

It’s hard not to feel ambivalent about this. One copy, so many people who are so interested in Rowling’s writing, a potential recipie for disontentments. Three possibilities:

1. The book is auctioned and the happy high bidder goes home with it. Rowling never releases the story to the general public, and fans feel sad they don’t get to hear the story.

2. The book is auctioned and the happy high bidder goes home with it. Rowling releases the story later in commercial form, and perhaps the high bidder feels badly treated because that copy is no longer so special.

3. The happy high bidder seeks permission to share the story in some way with the rest of the world and Rowling agrees.

All that said, why not a CD release of the thing being read by Rowling? There’s still only one print copy, but there’s a way for people who want to hear it to have access without making the winning bidder the holder of something a little less special (which, having something very special, I imagine, is part of why you’d big big bucks on an auction item).

Avatar Image says:

Big disappointment!! Sorry but publishing the book and selling it with all proceeds to help a charity would have generated much more money than selling the book at an auction. She missed the boat on this one.

Avatar Image says:

Quercus, I agree, a CD would be a great compramise.

Although I’m dissapointed I can’t read the book, I’M DEFINATELY NOT MAD AT JO!

I keep dreaming about what it would be like to buy that book. Too bad I don’t have thousands of dollars in my pockets to spend! :(

Well, hopefully, she’ll release the manuscript online, in book, or on cd. Let’s not give up hope people!

Avatar Image says:

i feel so bad that i will never read that book i love harry poter so i guess we’ll just have to wait (maybe since j.k. still got the rights to the book, she publish them..??) i hape soo <333

Avatar Image says:

At first i was upset about it,but now i am over it. What would upset me most is if someone wrote a biography about Bonnie Wright and i didn’t get to read it. I hope that’s what gets written, cos Bonnie Wright is my main reason for going to see HP.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m trying not to give up hope. Maybe she’ll post the manuscript online or make a Audio tape of the book, like the other hp books, so we can just listen to it.

Avatar Image says:

I wish that more copies were made so all the HP fans get to buy one.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, hopefully she makes an AudioTape of the book!! :)

Avatar Image says:

Some people have mentioned buying the auction catalogue – the catalogue does NOT contain all the pages of the book, and the pictures are apparantly quite small. Don’t waste your money. (And to the person who bought the book – perhaps you can release a carpet-book version? :) )

Write a Reply or Comment