Radcliffe on HBP : Gambon “Camping it Up”

113

Nov 03, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we reported that actor Dan Radcliffe would be a guest on the UK television program “Parkinson” this weekend. That interview was taped earlier this week, and now reports such as one from the Mirror newspaper in the UK contains a quote from the Harry Potter actor. Dan is addressing the ongoing filming for “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” and apparently the topic of Professor Dumbledore and the revelation of the character being gay has been met with great delight by actor Michael Gambon:

“Well, he’s been camping it up around the set like nobody’s business. There was a scene when Michael had to come in and tell someone how much he loved knitting patterns. He just adored saying that.”

However, Digital Spy has more of the quote, indicating that the actor is merely doing this OFF SET, and this is not to be too much of a factor in the films.

“Not in the film, though we did actually film a scene the other day, and I would like emphasise at this point that the script was written before this revelation and I don’t think Steve Kloves had any prior knowledge, but there was a scene the other day when Michael had to come in and tell another character how much he loved knitting patterns! Which he just adored saying that.”

Please note we have no idea of the whole context of this quote, as Parkinson is due to be broadcast tonight on ITV. Anyone who can capture this video, please send it in!

95 Responses to Radcliffe on HBP : Gambon “Camping it Up”

Avatar Image says:

Noooo…I hope this is a joke, because then that would make DD so stereotypical, and that is definitely not what DD is all about, hes about Justice and love, and it doesnt matter who that love is with. Mr Gambon read the books, dont just assume that gay=camp or whatever

Avatar Image says:

LOL Hilarious! Looking forward to the full interview! Glad Michael is not being too serious about it and enjoying this new side-albeit of scren-to the role! The nitting thing is brilliant-very Dumbledore!

Avatar Image says:

Well-you know, IF I had ever had an inkling about DD’s orientation – that “knitting patterns” comment always made me laugh and raise my eyebrows!

I’m sure most of the camping Sir Michael is doing on-set is for the benefit of his fellow cast members and will never make it to the screen.

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear. I hope they won’t go overboard – I like that Dumbledore’s not the stereoype of a homosexual man, and can only imagine what would happen if someone tried to make it “obvious.” I don’t mind if they make his love for Gellert or something more clear, but please nothing overboard… I’d be pretty fed up if that were the case. Homosexuals do not have to act a certain way.

Avatar Image says:

Gambon is flipping awesome, isn’t he? I laughed my head off.

Avatar Image says:

That’s funny. Although, it doesn’t matter whether or not Steve Kloves knew he was gay since he didn’t write that line J.K. Rowling did. I love that part where he’s talking about reading muggle magazines in the bathroom. I hope that Gambon will play a more sensitive Dumbledore in HBP. I did think OOTP was an improvement, but he’s still not there yet for me.

Avatar Image says:

Glad to hear they’re all having some fun with this and that there’s a nice lightheartedness to the set. I always like hearing about the funny stories which go on when everyone is waiting around on the set. And OBVIOUSLY he’s not being campy for the film; he’s probably just walking around to the cast being funny. Though the knitting patterns bit in the film probably will have a fun little gleam in his eye.

Last time I heard of an actor camping it up on the set, it was basically the kids reporting that Alan Rickman had to sit around in the costume which is supposed to be Neville’s grandmother’s in the third film. He basically put on a female voice and started calling everyone “dearie” and drinking tea with his pinky extended.

Avatar Image says:

I am laughing so hard I can’t breathe!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh but I should also add that as hilarious as this is, I hope it’s only off screen and that they don’t, you know, turn Dumbledore into a stereotype – that would be wrong. Though I do think they should make the Dumbledore/Grindelwald thing a little more obvious in DH… no reason not to, everyone knows now! :D

Avatar Image says:

The knitting patterns comment is from the book, so don’t panic!

Avatar Image says:

hahaha I really hope he says the “knitting patterns” in the movie…will be so funny!!

Avatar Image says:

no no no no no no no no NO.

fun and laughs on set = good. gambon changing his portrayal because of this = not good.

SO predictable.

Avatar Image says:

Funnily enough, the first thing I thought of when Jo outed DD was that comment about those knitting patterns, and how I hoped they kept it in the movie! :)

my mistake.

might should read articles before getting upset.

Avatar Image says:

in the film, though we did actually film a scene the other day, and I would like emphasise at this point that the script was written before this revelation and I don’t think Steve Kloves had any prior knowledge, but there was a scene the other day when Michael had to come in and tell another character how much he loved knitting patterns! Which he just adored saying that.”[/quote]

DS thinks it’s made up bij Kloves that Dumbledore likes knitting patterns? Because they would clearly read the book if they think so!

Avatar Image says:

Gambon now sounds like he is playing Dumbledore properly for te dirst time. Funny, quirky and light hearted. Brilliant!

Avatar Image says:

It’s in the book, you guys. But if Gambon made Dumbledore stereotypically-gay, I would be mad.

Avatar Image says:

It would be ironic, indeed, if this revelation finally motivated Gambon to play the character properly as it was originally written, instead of…instead of what’s he’s been doing up until now.

Avatar Image says:

YESYESYES!!! That is probably one of my most favorite lines from all the books…. I’m so glad they’re keeping it in!!! I’m glad Gambon isn’t being all “I’M NOT DOING THIS ANYMORE” about the news, but I hope he, the director, screenwriters, or ANYBODY make his character stereotypical. I agree, it would be fine if they made the Albus/Gellert ship a bit more noticeable, but not stereotypical! But gah, if they did put that in there, I’d have to not let my dad watch it, radical conservative he is…

Avatar Image says:

I am reading HBP again and last night when I read that line in the book I thought see it was all there but I missed it. :) I love that line even before we knew so I am glad it may make the movie.

Avatar Image says:

tee hee hee. ive always loved that line!! im glad its made in into the movie!

Avatar Image says:

As an actor, how can he resist? I hope he goes way over the top in a stereotypical portrayal in the next film. That will only highlight all the more how ridiculous that information is and how it’s nowhere to be found in the books.

Avatar Image says:

This made me grin. I’m glad they’re having fun on the set.

Ahaha, that’s fabulous! XD

Avatar Image says:

It would be awesome if the unrequited love thing was made a bit more apparent in the films. I mean, I watched a bunch of slashers going ‘wait, what? Wow that’s an obvious pairing, did she mean for it to come off like that?’ at Albus and Gellert, but those are slashers. They’re sort of looking for it already.

But no silly camp acting, maybe just switch ‘there was once a girl whose hair..’ to ‘there was someone once, whose hair…’ and some visual ques if they do flashbacks to Albus and Gellert in DH.

Avatar Image says:

I was thinking the same thing about the hair comment, Trevor. After all, Gellert was spoken of as having golden hair….;)

Avatar Image says:

Glad to see they are enjoying making the movie … believe it or not … one of these days when we all have grandchildre they will remake the movies … can’t help but fantasize about how a whole new generation will view the Potterverse when they know the ending at the beginning … it’s just too cool … squeeeeeee!!!

Avatar Image says:

For heavens sake, have none of them read the books? they think Steve Kloves wrote that line? Honestly.

Avatar Image says:

That is great! Gambon comes across as rather droll and somber in his interviews, and of course his Dumbledore has been a bit too intense. I’m glad to hear he’s lightening up, having fun, and is taking on this newly-discovered facet of his character with such enthusiasm.

Avatar Image says:

I think he should scream “DID YOU SEE THOSE KNITTING PATTERNS?” whilst shaking Harry violently.

please no

Avatar Image says:

LOL. Gambon is priceless. I can just picture it on set…

Knitting patterns FTW!

Avatar Image says:

Although I’ve just realised – damn. There’s no way there’s gonna be time for the Grindelwald backstory in the DH film, is there?

Avatar Image says:

Dumbledore’s character is camp in its own way anyway. maybe … flamboyant is the word i’m looking for lol.

Averyfan, LMAO, you win!

Avatar Image says:

OMG! That is the most hysterical thing I’ve heard of, in a long time! Mr Gambon is a riot! I wish I could see this. It makes things so much lighter, when they can laugh and enjoy their “off camera” time! (I especially love the Alan Rickman bit!) I could just see the two of them, drinking tea (pinkies up, of course) and calling EVERYONE “dearie”! I’m with cian…”Funny, quirky,and light hearted! Brilliant!”

Haha, fantastic!

Avatar Image says:

Why is everyone getting so upset?? It was IN the book ya know…the film makers didn’t make this up!

[dies laughing]

Avatar Image says:

Well, I was upset at first at the headline, but then I actually RTFA, and was relieved that it was only off-set. Because, one could argue that Dumbledore is a little campy in books 1-4, but book 6 of all books, we need him portrayed with the utmost respect. At any rate, I remembered the knitting patterns line from the book _

I still hope they put like a photo of him a Grindelwald on his desk, or something, and give us a good glance at it. Non-slashers will see foreshadowing, and slashers will collectively fall into sobbing heaps.

falls into heap

Who knows maybe it’ll help Gambon tone down that agression… Gosh he cracks me up.

Avatar Image says:

Averyfan, LOL! You’re probably right, more’s the pity.

Avatar Image says:

Has Dan even read the books? And for those of you panicking over the knitting patterns thing, have YOU read the books? Honestly, that’s right out of HBP. Sheesh.

Avatar Image says:

Ugh. I was worried about the stereotypes that were going to come. =(

Avatar Image says:

OMG I found that so funny! It’s nice to hear he took the news about DD well,and the ‘knitting pattern’ line was always my fave from the book. I hope he plays him a little softer in nature in the last 2 films.Not as a gay stereotype,but just kinder.I did not like him at all in GOF….way to aggressive.

Avatar Image says:

Look, I’ve read a lot of hostile comments here about the knitting comment. To those of you who are getting pissy, please remember that this line was put in the book by JKR herself. It’s in the bit where Harry and Dumbledore go to Slughorn’s house.

I’ve also read several hostile comments about Gambon camping it up. Again, the article says that that’s not happening on camera, so get over it. Actors with Gambon’s theatrical background enjoy the comic irony of high camp. Please remember to read the article carefully before you get pulled in by sensationalist journalism.

Avatar Image says:

Michael Gambon is well known for giving journalists ridiculous quotes and watching them print them without realising that he was pulling their leg. He one told a journalist that he used to be gay, but he had to give it up because it made his eyes water. He’s got a fabulous sense of humour and would latch onto this and the opportunity to camp it up off camera with glee, but is a consumate professional and would not do so on camera unless it was warranted.

Avatar Image says:

ROFLTIWMP! That is so funny. The “knitting patterns” from the book!Don’t everyone get in a “cause” thing. I don’t think this will change Mr Gambon’s portrayal…except, maybe, to “lighten him up” a little! LOL at visual of Mr Gambon and Mr Rickman drinking tea, pinkies up! (in matching vulture hats!)

Avatar Image says:

I heard that Michael Gambon isn’t playing Dumbledore in the next movie anymore. Julian Clarey has taken the role instead.

Avatar Image says:

Uh, ASnidget, we have photos of Gambon filming HBP last week and everything…

Avatar Image says:

I loved that “knitting patterns” line in the book; it is great that they are using it in the movie as well!

Good to hear that they are having fun on set, anyway, and that Michael Gambon is taking the Dumbledore revelation with humour. (The thought of him and Alan Rickman drinking tea with theit pinkies up dressed in vulture hats is by the way hilarious!)

As Dan said in the article, the script was written before the revelation, and I do not think (or at least, hope) that they will change Dumbledore’s character much in the movie because of it. The fact that Kloves had chosen to keep the “knitting patterns” line was just a funny coincidence. After all, the line is funny and sort of descriptive of Dumbledore whether he is meant to be gay or not.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, don’t panic. Michael Gambon is an experienced actor, and I’m sure he doesn’t think camping it up in actual scenes is a responsible thing to do to his character. He’s a quirky fellow just showing his sense of humour. Good on you Michael for enjoying it and not making a big fuss.

yay!!!!!!!!!

just saw it! and the context is OK, dan said that Gambon was only camping it up off-se.t. and also, the knitting line was str8 out of the book. calm down, guys!

Posted by ASnidget on November 03, 2007 @ 06:16 PM

WHAAAWHAAAWHAAAWHAAAWHAAAWHAAAWHAAA!!!!!!!!!

WHAAA WHAAA WHAAA WHAAA

Avatar Image says:

Well, that wasn’t particularly intersting… Most of the interview was about ‘My Boy Jack’.

Dan said that finding out Dumbledore’s sexuality was “hilarious”.

(Sorry, I don’t know how to capture TV footage!)

at last some humor….

Avatar Image says:

Yes Lauren i was thinking that too, that it’s out of the HBP book. It’s during the scene when Harry and Dumbledore go to try to get Slughorn to teach at Hogwarts. Dumbledore goes to the bathroom and says something when he comes back about loving knitting patterns or something. So no one should be shocked by it if they have read HBP.

Avatar Image says:

Yes tinagin i agree some humour in a book that is dark and a movie that will be dark also. I love the pic you have as you’re avatar. Bonnie looks so gorgeous in it like she always does. Bonnie Wright is my favourite, my inspiration,my crush,my idol, and favourite actress. Bonnie Wright is so beautiful, she is the most gorgeous women to be in the HP movies. Bonnie Wright is the best ever and my main reason for seeing HP.

Avatar Image says:

Ahhhh Gambon…such a wit! But IF he had READ the BOOK he would have known all about that line seing it is there…but gee reading, as good acting, is hard!

Gambon needs to worry less about being cute and more about getting Dumbledore right for once.

Avatar Image says:

Daniel looked very smart and had a very good interview with the host, Michael Parkinson, about My Boy Jack, which will be screened on Remembrance Sunday. It promises to be a good quality production, and Dan did a good job of promoting it. There was a bit of leg-pulling over his stint in Equus and a bit about HBP filming and the revelation that Dumbledore is now known to have been gay. A very polished, interesting and humourous piece of work.

Avatar Image says:

it should be noted that the Knitting patterns comment comes straight out of the book.

Avatar Image says:

Taking Dumbledore’s character in “a whole new direction”???

I so hate Michael Gambon. He’s not a bad actor, per se, but HE HAS NO IDEA HOW TO PLAY DUMBLEDORE!!!

If he starts all acting like . . . what would be stereotyped a “normal gay”, I am going to leave the theater . . .

Avatar Image says:

I agree with those who feel that Gambon is just having a bit of a laugh. And Mrs. Snape, I quite agree with your assessment of Gambon’s portrayal of DD—absolutely horrid in his first two movies, but significantly better in the last.

Tinagin, I have to chime in on your avatar. Good choice! That warrior goddess look serves Ginny well.

Avatar Image says:

Dear Jo: Why did you forget to tell Sir Michael Gambon that he’s supposed to be gay? sniff…

Avatar Image says:

Can someone tell me what “camping it up” means? These British quips are just so hard to understand.

And if they modified the script to give more clues to DD’s “sexuality”, that would just reinforce my opinion that what the author says in her interviews and what she actually writes are two different things. No clues whatsoever in the books that DD is gay. And no clues whatsoever that Harry and Ginny are soulmates. She just says it casually like she expects us to see the light immediately. (Now, I’ll be banned…)

Avatar Image says:

Mariana, Dumbledore is described in Book 6 as being flamboyant! Just becuase she didn’t make it explicity obviously doesn’t mean there weren’t hints! There were lots, most of us just uninterestedly looked over them. But I highly doubt they’re modifying the script, as this line that Dan mentioned is taken directly from the book.

Oh and I don’t think “camping it up” is a British term (?), but it means acting in an affeminate/flamboyant manner.

effeminate* sorry.

Avatar Image says:

Dan always gives very entertaining interviews. Ah, there was a time when all he talks about is Harry POtter in these interviews. Now, it just gets inserted in between his other projects. Guess we have to get used to them talking about other things than HP.

And I’m a book fan but I can’t even remember that DD talked about knitting patterns in HBP. Or maybe I didn’t attach any significance to it. thought he was just being his drool self. Didn’t think much of the book anyway. IMO, it’s the worst book in the series…

Avatar Image says:

Well I’m glad someone found my joke about Julian Clarey taking over funny! I just couldn’t think of a worse gay Dumbledore for the role.. LOL. God that would be hilarious!

Avatar Image says:

I’m with Lady V, couldn’t stand the book. Just wasn’t up to Jo Rowling’s usual standard, seemed really rushed. I also didn’t take notice of any mention of knitting patterns -hardly relevant material. Also, I suppose we should be so lucky that he was allowed to say so much about the next movie as he was on to promote My Boy Jack.

Avatar Image says:

Dan was there to promote MY BOy Jack but it’s inevitable that he will be asked about HP. Especially about the bomb that the author dropped on the whole HP world. Anyway, Dan didn’t reveal any spoilers since what he talked about was offset antics of Gambon. I’ve always had the impression that Gambon is hilarious and I just can imagine him swaying on the set with his pinkie out while stroking his long beard. lol

And Dan has a very practical way of looking at his relationship with Warner Brothers. The studio benefits from whatever gains Dan gets outside of the franchise. Proof is the bigger boxoffice returns of OotP after all the negative predictions of fans boycotting the movie because Dan went nude in Equus. He will always be known as Harry POtter but better a “versatile Harry Potter actor who does theater, TV and INdie films” than just as a “Harry Potter actor” forever…

Avatar Image says:

If you have a problem with the way Gambon plays Dumbledore don’t blame him, blame the director! He can’t play Dumbledore anyway he wants, he has to do what the director wants. This all goes back to PoA and….....Cauron. I HATE HATE HATE Cauron soo much.

Avatar Image says:

Meh, gay or straight, he had always been really camp, I mean, the high heeled boots and the purple cloak? Dumbledore’s got style!

Avatar Image says:

Anyone who’s still unconvinced about teh knitting patterns – it’s when he leaves Harry to convonce Slughorn to come to teach at Hogwarts and goes to the loo. He comes out saying he’s sorry he took so long but he has always enjoyed reading the Muggle knitting patterns.

Is the interview on youTube yet????

Avatar Image says:

I’m sure that there is plenty of “off camera” time, where the actors must wait for a scene with special effects, etc. to be set up. As the story gets darker, and more grim, of course the actors are going to let off some steam when the cameras aren’t rolling – I’m sure that sometimes they are doing what actors do best – camping it up (acting silly) and generally amusing each other.

NOT that I am saying this epic is on the same seriousness level with Schindler’s List, but I am reminded of an interview with Steven Spielberg – who apparently usually hams it up a bit on the set himself. This didn’t really happen w/ Schindler’s List – too serious, and they were filming where those tragic events took place.

Anyway, Spielberg’s wife KNEW it was getting to him, so she would often call up a friend of theirs to talk to Steven Spielberg to cheer him up and make him laugh (made him feel better around his kids too, I think). So, the friend? Robin Williams.

I’m sure that these actors, playing such serious scenes AND now they know what happens to their characters, plus all of the attention they get… need to blow off some steam.

I for the record, don’t mind Gambon at all. I had hoped for Peter O’Toole, but Gambon is a very good actor (plus there is the risk that O’Toole is getting on in years, and they risked having to replace HIM if something happened).

The problem is, we all remember Richard Harris with that devilish gleam in the first two movies. However, why should Dumbledore’s eyes continue to gleam so much in regards to Harry? The books get darker each year that goes by, so why shouldn’t the movies? Dumbledore above everyone knows the seriousness of this, and knows he would be sacrificing Harry… so the “gleams” and “twinkles” would be fewer and farther between.

Avatar Image says:

The two Dansites have videos up. I must say Dan spoke well as usual, and looked even better! His eyes are just so beautiful and his face….sighs Sorry for the fangirling,but it was extremely difficult to tear ones eyes away from the screen. It was a great interview, he was as funny and eloquent and as gorgeous as ever.

Avatar Image says:

This is why I think Jo shouldn’t have mentioned it until the films were all done! I hope Gambon doesn’t get too carried away… On the other hand, i’m absolutely delighted that they’ve still kept the knitting patterns quote in the film!!! :D

Avatar Image says:

lol Dan is great, he always manages to make me smile even when I’m in terrible mood. And Michael Gambon lol, now I understand what Daniel means when he says working with him it’s difficult to stop laughing.

There was a similar line in HBP that DD said about “knitting patterns”, I think it is when they go to visit Slughorn, so it’s canon (which makes some of your comments senseless lol), and I loved that line when I read the book, so I’m happy they have filmed it. :)

Thanks for this Sue! Hope Leaky upload the full video interview when it airs!

Avatar Image says:

Mariana: to act camp: “to speak or behave in a coquettishly playful or extravagantly theatrical manner”

Avatar Image says:

Lauren, yes, he has read the books (not sure about some of his cast mates, who say they knew their characters play quidditch, only because someone else told them) what he means is that Kloves included that line in the script before Jo said that, so the line doesn’t have double-meaning in the movie, it’s just there to show Dumbledore’s sense of humor and wit. I’m surprised some of you think that showing such important parts of Dumbledore’s personality is not important… and then you ask for character development. And the actors don’t need to know everything about the books, Dan works all the day, he has not the time to read them 10000 times like some obssessed fans. The only important thing is that he knows his character very well, better than all of us actually, because he has talked with Jo about Harry several times. And his job is to promote the films too, and he does it better than anyone else, watch this fantastic interview.

What I agree with you is about the fans, because we are the ones who claim we know sooo well the books and insult the movies when they are not canon, so it’s stupid of some of us to criticize them when they are being canon, showing we don’t know the books soooo well. You can not blame actors for not remembering every line of the books, if the fans who claim to know the books by heart didn’t remember the line either.

Avatar Image says:

Im just glad there is the knitting patterns line…it shows they are keeping some of DD’s quirk.

Avatar Image says:

Well, the line is in the movie, the question is, will that particular line stay in the movie. Didn’t Yates cut like half an hour from ootp. There is a chance that the line will be cut anyway. I hope not though. It would be the first humour coming from Dumbledore since prisoner of azkaban. I loved him in that film. He was good in ootp too though.

Oooh, I bet they’re laughing all the time :D

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha, oh my god, so funny.

Avatar Image says:

Between the knitting patterns and the plum colored suit… I cannot wait for HBP!

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad this was off screen and I HOPE it stays that way. The BEST thing about finding out about DD was that he was never portrayed stereotypically in the books. He was just a wise, kind, humorous human being. We were shown the many facets of his character, both his virtues and his flaws. That after all was said and done we found that the great love of his life was a man was positively brilliant. This said “This lovable person is still worthy of your affection. This person is kind, loving, wise, and is still those things. Who he loves has no bearing on the kind of person he is.” What a fabulous way to teach a lesson in humanity.

While I would LOVE to see Gambon’s portrayal of DD change drastically, just portraying him AS WRITTEN BY JO would be lovely.

Avatar Image says:

Rowling’s revelation did not come as a surprise to me. I had always thought Michael Gambon’s portrayal of Dumbledore-as contrasted from the peerless Richard Harris’-to be somewhat swishy. I second the many comments here expressing their hope that Gambon will not resort to gay stereotyping. My only wish is that the producers will consider giving Gambon ANOTHER robe to wear, instead of the perennial dreary-grey one.

Avatar Image says:

This just adds to my conviction that Gambon, who has never read the books, was erroneously cast as Dumbledore, even if the ‘camping up’ is being done offscreen.

God, I miss Richard Harris. He played DD perfectly.

Avatar Image says:

Wait, so now liking knitting patterns is gay? Who knew?!

Avatar Image says:

I’m gay and I can’t knit patterns (in fact, I can’t knit at all!)

Sounds like they’re just having fun to me:-).

Avatar Image says:

My main issue with movie Dumbledore is the robes… they are not nearly fabulous enough :S

Avatar Image says:

Seems some people here are [b]completely lacking in a sense of humour[/b]. Sir Michael Gambon will not change the way he’s been playig Dumbledore (even if his character should be less aggressive). I watched that Parkinson interview and Dan was telling it like a joke – there was NO seriousness in the way he told it. Dan said he found the revelation hilarious and that they’d bee joking aroud on set about it…emphasis on the word JOKING!!!

Avatar Image says:

Bonnie Wright is my warrior godess.

Avatar Image says:

Um, hello! Dumbledore says that in the book! P.S. I knit and I also know of happily married men who knit as well…

Avatar Image says:

Averyfan, LOL, that was great!!! :-)

Write a Reply or Comment