Detailed Report on “Order of the Phoenix” DVD Deleted Scenes and Extras

207

Nov 07, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

With many thanks due to TLC reader Joanne, we now have a detailed report on some of the extras and deleted scenes due to be included on the “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” DVD. Joanne, who purchased the DVD last week as it was released in South Africa, sent in a breakdown of the many new things we will see. As there are a fair number of serious SPOILERS contained in the following report, if you wish to avoid them until the release in the UK on November 12 and in the US December 11, please stop reading now! However, those wishing to read details about the deleted scenes with Neville, Trelawney, Umbridge, the special feature with Tonks and more, scroll down. NOTE: Joanne was not able to yet access the link to the sneak peek to the upcoming “Half-Blood Prince” film.

SCROLL DOWN

SPOILERS AHOY

SCROLL DOWN

STILL TOO CLOSE, KEEP SCROLLING

A FEW MORE SCROLLS

ALMOST THERE

ONE MORE

HERE IT IS….

A breakdown of each of the deleted scenes contained on the “Order of the Phoenix” DVD are as follows (spoilers!)

The second disc menu opens with a sweeping shot of the Black Family Tree Tapestry ’ stunning! Though I couldn’t see much it moves quite quickly. There were tantalizing glimpses including ’ the Black Family Crest ’ a coat of arms topped by a skull, with three ravens and an armoured hand holding a wands, and the motto Toujours Pur. Plus all those names ’ the Prewitts, Weasleys, Tonks’s, Regulus and Sirius, and someone called Orion Walburg (1925-195/8?). The shot ends with Lucius and then great embroidered face of Draco Malfoy. The branches also have little skulls, dragons, Griffons, and a Snake on the branch. Then the menu comes (still in tapestry form) and you choose from: additional scenes,Trailing Tonks, Hidden secrets of HP, HP: the magic of editing

Trelawney Eating

An extended shot of Trelawney eating her way through her dinner while Umbridge is making her speech in the backgrounds. Obviously, the cameraman couldn’t move on because Emma is so truly hysterically funny. Lots of fumbling and bumbling (I won’t spoil it for you by giving you all the details). A lovely touch is the ironic counterpoint of Umbridge’s phrases ( “utmost seriousness, practices which must be pruned, improve what can be improved, etc.) with Trelawney’s muddled messes. What’s nice is that you get to see lovely details of the table settings.

Neville in Common Room

Additional bit (only a few seconds long) after Harry’s confrontation with Seamus in the Gryffindor common room, where Neville talks about it being the Daily Prophet that’s rubbish.

Gryffindor Common Room

This is one continuous sweeping shot of the common room taking in all the other students before coming to rest on Harry sitting alone in front of the fire. I think it is after the detention with Umbridge and before Harry’s chat on the sofa at the fire with Ron and Hermione. There are some delightful touches, including a couple snogging on the stairs, Nevillle tending his Mimbulus Mimbletonia, some girls plaiting each other’s hair, Seamus and Dean playing cards, and glimpses of the tapestries on the walls. They should definitely have kept this scene! It’s just a complete contrast to the horror Harry has just endured with Umbridge, and it emphasizes how alone and apart from other students Harry is, how much more serious his worries are.

Umbridge questions Trelawney during a dream interpretation class

This is a lovely scene, with a sarcastic Umbridge interrupting and generally terrorizing Trelawney. There are also some great cuts to Ron (canon Ron – yay!) and Harry. Harry shows more grim, adult-like expressions as we see his dawning realization of how cruel Umbridge is, how she enjoys her power, how she is beginning to interfere at Hogwarts. They have cut this longish scene up into short cuts which they have spliced into the Umbridge Montage in the final cut of the film. Although the gist of the scene is kept, the mounting/dawning realization of what is happening (“The Minister’s eyes and ears”), is lost. Slytherins are grinning in the background, enjoying the cruelty. I think this sets up their later conversion to the Inquisitorial Squad. The scene also sets up Trelawney’s dismissal very nicely

Umbridge and Filch

Just a few seconds of Umbridge and Filch looking down from a high tower or balcony while some Slytherins (including Draco, Crabbe and Goyle) bully a young Ravenclaw student in the quad below. The scene shows her tolerance of evil as long as it supports her domination of the school, and her natural inclination to sadism, but not much is lost by omitting this from the movie.

Filch and Umbridge’s hair

Filch sniffing then blowing on Umbridge’s still smoking hair (after the fireworks)

Extended forest scene with Umbridge, Hermione and Harry

A longish scene in which Umbridge explains herself more, justifies her actions, and tries to elicit sympathy from Harry and Hermione. She winds up crying “Look what you’ve done to me, I cannot take it anymore!”

Harry in DD’s office

After the battle at the ministry, a rather battered Harry enters Dumbledore’s office. There are nice details of the office, the whirring and clicking instruments, the Gryffindor sword (I think ’ though it looks a little plain) on the desk, and cabinets full of mysterious objects in the background. But sadly (sigh) Harry does not go mad with grief and rage and smash things up. Harry spots the sorting hat again, then angrily turns to walk out but is called by back by DD.

Harry packing

Extended version of the scene in which Harry is packing to go home. Ron comes in and Harry tells him to go on to the feast without him (Harry). Ron returns to Hermione in the common room, and just shrugs in response to her enquiring glance. Nice canon Ron, good emphasis of Harry’s grief and aloneness, but to my taste, the poignancy of the scene is lost when Hermione half smiles in response to Ron’s shrug.

TRAILING TONKS

A high Energy Natalia Tena roams around Leavesdon Studios, using a marauder’s map type effect to show the viewer which department will be viewed next. We get to see her: in hair and make-up, the sound desk on one of the sound stages (not much to see there), the canteen, singing while playing a guitar in her trailer, cuddling the boarhound who plays Fang, Matt Lewis and Alfie Enoch (Dean) playing some cricket out on a nearby field, art departments ’ with a model of Kreecher’s head and one of the brooms, and brief views of some models of the set (e.g., atrium of the Ministry, Hogsmeade Village), graphics dept where we see Daily Prohpet newspapers, Sirius “Wanted” Poster, Marauders’ Map (yay!), special FX dept (wands, locking door from Gringotts movie I, prophecy ball, sound stage with fighting (wand dueling) training session, soundstage in the room of requirement, brief chat with Dan. Here everyone was wearing wierd blue surgeon-type shoes (so as not to muck up set floor?) Grimmauld Place kitchen and house (super-brief) Ministry atrium with set men scattering the floor with the shattered glass, model shop (centaurs, Mimulus Mimbletonia)

extra feature “Secrets of HP”

Narrated by the sexy-voiced Jason Isaacs (I knew you’d like that, Sue!), this is a long feature along main HP themes (e.g., Things are not what they seem; Choice; Pride and Prejudice; Battle for Harry;

It includes: cuts and a few stills from all the movies so far,brief comments by all the major cast members (except Gambon ), David Heyman, and David Yates. Also no Alan Rickman (maybe he was still sitting on his Snapey secrets!) and theorizing by commentators including Jane Scott Batchler (author of “What will Harry Do?”), John Granger (author “Unlocking Harry Potter) and a fair few comments from Steve Vander Ark. No new movie material (I think). It gives the backstory of Harry, and his connection to Voldemort, his developing identity, etc.It’s a nice feature, though it could have been more in-depth for the true fan’s liking.

Extra feature: “Harry Potter and The magic of editing”

This is a shortish featurette on the difference that editing, visual effects, music and sound can make to a scene, with an interactive exercise at the end where you can choose the edits and accompanying sound and music for a scene (DA practice). I couldn’t get this “game” feature to work, but this may be due to deficiencies in my DVD player, or my (non-existent) gaming ability.

Thanks very much Joanne!

71 Responses to Detailed Report on “Order of the Phoenix” DVD Deleted Scenes and Extras

Avatar Image says:

Wow, that is a lot of stuff.

Too bad there is not an extended scene of Snape’s Memory :(

I’m excited to see what they have in store for the Half Blood Prince Preview.

Avatar Image says:

I keep saying that they are saving that extended Snape scene for DH but no one listens and people are probably going to blow up about it.

Avatar Image says:

Sad. Steve Vander Ark is featured on the DVD in the “Secrets of HP”...

Avatar Image says:

What’s really sad is that we have to wait ‘til Dec. 11 to get OOTP in the states. You know the DVDs are just sitting somewhere in a warehouse waiting to be sold, probably so people will buy them for Christmas. It’s wrong I tell you, WRONG!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe she missed it or meant it is in the cuts but I wanted to see Bellatrix and Sirius dueling Helena said it got cut- so why not show it.

Avatar Image says:

Was it a link on the HBP Sneak Peek? Perhaps the reason she couldn’t access it maybe it’s a secret website that won’t be activated until the US release?

Avatar Image says:

Wait, I’m confused that goes with the 10 minutes the BBFC gave us and didn’t the WB confirm it to be 17 minutes?

Avatar Image says:

The weird blue slipper things on their feet are surgical slippers and they keep your feet from making noise and ruining a take!

Avatar Image says:

I was hoping they would include that scene where Harry and co. are cleaning Grimmauld Place and find the locket/Horcrux. How are they going to get around this one in the 7th film? Even if the script for this movie was developed before anyone realized the significance of Horcruxes and this locket, they always had Jo at hand, so why wouldn’t she mention that the locket is extremely important? Weird.

And thanks Joanne for the detailed report!

Avatar Image says:

@hermionetwin- there are several ways they could get around it. For example, they find the fake one in HBP then in DH they discover RAB is Regulus (they didn’t need to show this on the family tree…his name is on the door anyway) then ask Kreacher if he knows and then he will recount the story or they’ll just cut out breaking into the ministry and he’ll have it. That is just one possibility. They may just cut RAB all together.

Avatar Image says:

No Snape’s Worst Memory??!! Darnit.

Avatar Image says:

SNAPE’S WORST MEMORY!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!! cries urm yeah. some of those scenes cound pretty awesome though… cant wait to see the one of hermione fumbling around… :D

Avatar Image says:

That is rubbish dvd bonus stuff. Not much to see. Didn’t expect great dvd from wb anyways.

Avatar Image says:

QUESTION FOR LEAKY STAFF Is it 10 minutes of deleted scenes then are 17 minutes, because don’t those correspond with the 10 minutes the BBFC gave us a long time ago?

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I absolutely can’t wait until it’s released! Why do we have to wait so long …??? I think when Joanne said there was someone named Orion Walburg, they must be talking about Sirius’ parents, since his father’s name was Orion and his mother was Walburga. By the way, padfootrocksmysocks, it isn’t Hermione who will be “fumbling around”, it will be Trelawney. They’re talking about Emma Thompson, not Emma Watson :)

Avatar Image says:

Sorry meant to say is it 10 minutes of deleted scenes then or 17 minutes in the first part there.

Avatar Image says:

Yah I agree with thee above It sounded like stuff we all heard before equalling 1omin and they promised us 7 more which I hope includes the Sirius vs Bells duel PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! sorry I just love Bellatrix and thought she didnt have enough time on screen!

Avatar Image says:

Where is the special interviews of Dan, Gary Oldman, and Alan Rickman that we were supposed to get? There was supposed to be a special thing where those guys talked. Perhaps it’s in the HBP features on the DVD-ROM and snce the HBP stuff isn’t up yet, then maybe those will come later? I dunno. But honestly, I wish AR would stop sitting on the Snape secrets as they are rather out and about now. I want to know what he thinks of them!

Avatar Image says:

@Grader: I haven’t read HBP in a while, but if memory serves, I don’t think Harry even sets foot inside Grimmauld Place during that year (I may be wrong of course), so how would they be able to discover the locket? They could do it in the 7th book, but in DH an entire episode is dedicated to the trio trying to get the locket from Umbridge at the Ministry, but how would she have gotten it in the first place, if Mundungus hadn’t sold it to her? What I’m getting at is that Harry is supposed to have a revelation about the locket after remembering them cleaning the house, and then asks Kreacher about it, but if he never did the cleaning in the first place, how would he remember it? They may work out another way to introduce the locket in DH, but it will completely ruin the smooth plot that JK wove through books 5&7. It would have been so much easier to feature a 3 minute scene of them cleaning the house in the 5th movie, or at least put it in the bonus features.

Avatar Image says:

This is kind of a let down. I mean, no offense, but who really cares about Trelawny eating and trailing Tonks. And no cast interviews?!

Avatar Image says:

Utterly rubbish that the Worst Memory is not included.

Avatar Image says:

@hermionetwin- What I mean was get the fake locket in the cave in HBP. Like I said they could just cut out the whole Umbridge storyline and have Harry looking in Regulus’ room and then Kreacher appears and Harry asks him if he knew Regulus. Thus, the locket.

Oh, and Erik was right. Bunch of comments about Snape Worst Memory even though they’re saving it for DH so obviously they won’t show it. Use common sense people.

Avatar Image says:

Very disappointing extras. The deleted scenes sound negligible, and we aren’t getting any of the important ones (Snape’s worst memory, etc.). What makes it worse is that we know they shot this—why wouldn’t they just give it to us? The only feature of substance is the Secrets of Harry Potter one, which sounds like it’s exactly the same as the special on A&E that was shown when OotP came out in July. We’ve already seen that one (in fact I saved it to DVD from the television—what a waste of time that turned out to be). Finally, and most inexcusable of all, no “Conversations With the Cast”? No interview with the director, for crying out loud? I though WB had made a huge leap forward in the quality and quantity of extras on the GoF DVD. This is just a huge let-down :(

Avatar Image says:

Does Anybody else miss the Sirius Bella duel? and yes I heard about the interviews with Gary, Alan and Dan too, so why arnt they in there- I really want to hear from Alan because Snape is my favorite wizard and by now I’m sure you know my favorite witch-( shes a little demented )

Avatar Image says:

Looking forward to the DVD , I dont care what anyone else says I will make my own appraisal. Good luck all .

Avatar Image says:

WHERE IS SNAPE’S WORST MEMORY?? I know other people are asking this question but it bears screaming again. They filmed it-they filmed it!!!! We have all seen that still with the teenage Lily. They filmed, then butchered one of the most pivotal moments in the entire series and then come out with a DVD with Filch extras-SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY Someone opined that WB might be saving it for the Prince’s Tale in Deathly Hallows. That would be OK, but I will not hold my breath.

Has anyone heard any Narcissa casting news? Until we do, I have to assume Spinner’s End will be cut from the 6th movie.

As some of you have said, I would also love to hear the delectable Alan Rickman speak about Snape, but honestly, why should he bother? JKR gave him this rich, complex, fascinating man, but the filmakers give him almost nothing to do.

It seems WB is really focused on the kids-the trio and other students. Many of the adult characters have full stories, rich histories and complex, nuanced characters and motivations, but unless they directly serve or relate to Harry, it is cut. That’s a shame. Despite the perception of the non-HP reading population, we know that the HP books are not merely kids books-but to look at the movies, you’d never know it.

Avatar Image says:

My apologies for the crossed out lines. I don’t know why it does that. Must remember to never use a hyphen here again.

Avatar Image says:

OMG! Haven’t read any of the other comments (yet) ‘cause I’m on my “way” to Amazon.com (and anywhere else I can think of) to pre-order (if I can!) I hope this is for the “regular” DVDs! Too cool! *D

Avatar Image says:

i’m still pissed that they’re not releasing SWM or the sirius bella duel… like unbelievably pissed to the point where i’m not even sure i want the thing anymore. just feels like a slap in the face to fans

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m back from my “journey”...Both Yahoo!Movies and Amazon.com are offering ‘Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix’ for “pre-order” Amazon does NOT give a price for either the Two-Disk DVD (with all the special stuff) or the “basic” DVD….Yahoo!Movies gives a “basic price” (what the starting price should be) $22.40 for the Two Disk (with all the features) and $ 22.51 for the “basic, widescreen”. That’s all from the Internet…Check your “local listings” for other prices! I’m getting my set from Amazon, I think. It apparently is out for Pre-sale, kids! Better order now, or you won’t see it before New Years (I’m pretty sure!)

Avatar Image says:

This is off the topic but as someone mentioned above they havent told us who is playing Narcissa and I am positve that Spinners End is in the movie it seems crucial to see the unbreakable vow and its really the only scene that Bellas in. But they should get on the ball and let us know the cast of new characters already!

Avatar Image says:

@Bellasnape- They aren’t filming Spinner’s End until the spring so they might not announce Narcissa until then.

Avatar Image says:

@Grader: Yes, I guess you’re right, they can introduce the locket that way, but it’s not the same. One of the best parts after the 6th book was released was guessing what all the Horcruxes might be, but it seems like the movies are deviating from the books more and more.

I am also disappointed about Snape’s memory not being included, but if it was filmed, then I am sure it will be in the 6th movie. Has anyone else noticed that with each DVD there seems to be less and less bonus features? I think that by now the people in charge have realized that fans will buy the DVD even if there weren’t any bonus features included, so why bother spending more money to make more features? After all, bonus features are just incentives for purchasing the DVD, when you can watch the movie on a cable channel or On Demand or something. It doesn’t make sense because they make more and more money with each film, so they should have more content, but oh well. No matter; I cannot wait for my DVD to come!

Avatar Image says:

thanks for sharing these, Joanne! Nice. =)

This caught my attention:

at least i know that that’s Emma Watson who half-smiled, NOT the real Hermy. sigh

Avatar Image says:

Just to answer some questions in the comments: There are definately no deleted scenes involving Snape’s worst memory. While there are no Conversations With The Cast, there are lots of comments from cast members (including Gary Oldman, Dan, both Emmas, Rupert, Imelda Staunton, etc), plus the producer and director, in the section “Secrets of HP” and a few in HP: Magic of Editing. There may be a brief glimpse of dueling, but no long scene of Bella and Sirius duelling.

I eventually got the links to work, (they are on DVD Rom material), but the link labelled Sneak Peak (no mention of HALF BLOOD PRINCE Sneak Peak)simply takes you to the Warner Bros HP websites, with trailers of Phoenix and previous movies. So unless they update this when the DVD is released in the States, it isn’t to do with HBP. Maybe the journalist got it wrong. I don’t see how this DVD could contain HBP material, since they hadn’t started filming yet when DVD went to production.

The extra stuff is a lot of fun, but I just know that the true HP fan would love it in much much more detail. All of the set visits, comments, etc. are so very brief. I would have liked longer, fuller, much more detailed interviews with cast and crew. And, of course, a commentary! Hey Pottercast Trio – we’d love a fan commentary!

Avatar Image says:

Wow I can’t wait to get the movie. The part with Natalia Tena sounds interesting.

Avatar Image says:

wow i can’t wait to buy my copy of the dvd and burn it. seriously, like the movie wasn’t bad enough on its own. these deleted scenes suck. i don’t care about seeing trelawney eating or pointless camera shots. i thought if they included some extended scenes and possible important deleted scenes, than that might have save the movie. WB have just made a powerful enemy.

Avatar Image says:

No extended SWM? Fine, I will save money though! No Snape, no Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who’s disapointed because they cut the scene in witch hagrid was fired. I saw pics of maggie smith in a wheelchair, so where is that scene? It was really the only thing I mist in the movie. I know they can’t put in everything, but that scene was so tragic and powerfull.

Avatar Image says:

Joanne, thanks for sharing. And I am glad you pointed out that we will hear comments by the cast on the DVD extras. The extras on the DVDs of the first four HP movies have always greatly satisfied me, but I was already beginning to wonder about this one. No cast interviews? Oh, well, the comments might be just as good as interviews with always the same questions. I would have loved EXTENSIVE deleted scenes and a thorough BTS, but okay. Still have to wait a week until I get the DVD.

Avatar Image says:

I’m buying the HD DVD version which includes an IME (in movie experience) track. The IME for this one is supposed to feature the cast of Dumbledore’s army. This plays like a commentary, except in video form while the movie is playing. Should be pretty cool. I’m thinking about importing the Japanese version of the film (HD DVD is region free) because it comes out quite a bit earlier then the American version. Once I get a copy i’ll be sure to post a review on the forums.

Avatar Image says:

It sounds OK, but not a patch on the bonus features on the GOF DVD. The delated scenes and behind the scenes footage on the GOF DVD were brilliant. Oh well.

Avatar Image says:

- “The deleted scenes sound negligible, and we aren’t getting any of the important ones (Snape’s worst memory, etc.). What makes it worse is that we know they shot this—why wouldn’t they just give it to us?”

I totally agree with you. They have lots of footage of substance and of importance to the fans, which we know they filmed, and we will never get to see them. Unless WB is planning to re-release all the Potter movies after the last one comes out in new extended editions (and that would be a disgusting thing to do for the fans) then WB is just being stupid.. or the director and the crew don’t want to waste more time adding the effects, music etc.. to all that footage for a DVD that they’re sure all the fans are going to buy anyway. Very disappointing, WB.

Some of the scenes that should have been included in the deleted scenes (all of which they filmed): Sirius and Bella duelling; extended Snape’s Worst Memory; McGonagall on a wheelchair after the MoM battle with Hagrid comforting her; Harry mourning Sirius, skimming flat stones across the Black Lake.

Avatar Image says:

Mark my words, after the Deathly Hallows DVD has been released and there will be no more HP movies to shoot, we will see a whole new franchise containing the extended edition of each of the seven movies (that is with the deleted scenes finally integrated into the movies, like the Lord of the Rings movies have). So we’ll be ending up buying them all over and over again…

Avatar Image says:

Too bad, john! You’ll be missing a lot, I’m afraid. Just because it’s “missing” a few points, doesn’t make it “unwatchable” for the True Harry Potter Fan. As in the Movie, itself, I’m sure there was a “limit” to what they could salvage and use. Not ALL the “bits and bobs” are in tact. Also, a Three Disk Set would be expensive to produce. Given the probable cost of HBP, it wouldn’t really be prudent, right now. When they do a “7-disk set” (which you KNOW they will!) it will, most likely have and extended “outtakes/making of/etc” set of disks. Like ‘LOTR’ and ‘Star Wars’. Each has a multiple disk extra with the sets. Both, are considered “epic Series’ ” JMHO *D

Avatar Image says:

Hey. How about the “the over 3 hours of never before seen footage from all of the movies dvd” thats releasing with the dvd trunk,the limited edition,I mean?

Avatar Image says:

As I said, daniel! The more “expensive” the set, the more extras you’ll get. I know it sounds unfair, but there you are! As with everything else: You can’t please everyone. Unfortunately, the “Extended Versions In The Trunk” will disappointment someone, somewhere.

Avatar Image says:

Dear Warner Brothers. If you read this by chance, why in the name of Merlins pants, did you let Mr. Yates film “Snapes Worst Memory”? With all the fuss for finding the perfect young actors – so that in the end it is not included at least on the DVD? I admit, I went to see OotP three times – not that it got any better mind you. But even if I would watch it TEN times, there was no LILY POTTER! It is not that I hate the way David Yates filmed it…no…it disturbs me, because it turns from one scene to another – as if they were afraid to use too much material! Maybe no one has told you this dear WB, most of the movie- goers are fans of the HP books! WE guessed all along that Severus Snape was playing a big part in the series. So why are you cheating us of his present, putting him more and more in the background? So that when we watch HBP and DH, we will all go “OH – AH – who would of thought that of Professor Snape? Do you know that you have apart from Daniel and co., the unsurpassable Alan Rickman for the role of Severus Snape?? One of the reason so many adults also go and watch your Harry Potter films!!!! You have been so very generous with all the little details, actors, filming on locations, costumes ect. we appreciate this absolutely – but please don’t continue to change and ad characters who are not in the books! Should it happen as “Peverell” suggested, that when all the movies are done – finally we will have all the deleted scenes integrated on NEW DVD’s – don’t cry over spilled milk ($$$)-because one day the Potter fans will have grown up – and only the die-hard fans will buy your newest DVD’s!

Avatar Image says:

Not having Snape’s Worst Memory on here is about the stupidest thing I ever heard. Forget Tonks, I want to see more of young MWPP!

Avatar Image says:

I agree that why cast those young actors to play the younger versions of Lupin,Sirius,Snape, James and Lily and Have it last barely 5sec. then on top of that dont even show it to us- its not like the movie was terribly long it was short to devoted Potterphiles. And this is just me but I think to have Sirius duel Lucius and that other deatheater in the movie and then just have Bella apper and kill him really donesnt make sense, it would’ve been better by the book- not to mention Helena and Gary said they got blisters from all that dueling – then to not put it in there!

Avatar Image says:

Right you are BellaSnape. Helena Bonham Carter was so unique as BELLA. Her witch-like crazy laugh was unforgettable! By the way, I don’t remember it, do they even mention that Bellatrix was Sirius cousin? I wonder if they will get a new actress for Narcissa Malfoy – or if Helena is going to play also the blond Cissy? Just a thought of mine – did not Tonks Mom Andromeda, resemble Bellatrix so hard, that when Harry arrived in Deathly Hallows, he first thought it was Bellatrix? I wouldn’t mind, HBC is just too good an actress!

Avatar Image says:

Why didnt they leave all of that in the movie??? Its doesnt make any sense! Everything would have flowed so much better….GAH! they frustrate me!

Thanks for all the info!

Avatar Image says:

Is it just me or are the special features on the DVD’s getting worse with every movie? I’ve just watched the “Additional scenes” on the OOTP DVD and its REALLY pathetic, theres no wonder it didn’t make it through to the movie. There has got to be better footage than the few unimportant bits that we got. I must say I’m really dissapointed. GOF’s DVD was loads better.

Avatar Image says:

everyone who is complaining about certain scenes, ie snape’s memory not being included: think rationally a moment. to include said scene, the actress that played lily would have to be compensated quite a bit more, as she was not featured in the final cut, other extras would also have to be compensated, etc. of course they’re not going to do that; wb exist solely to make money, like any business.

Avatar Image says:

I really really hate david yates as a director.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t hate david yates, I don’t think he’s responsible for any of the extra’s on the dvd. They’ve got other people for that. I thought he made a wonderful film. I am glad he will back for half blood prince. I’m not sure is I would like him for deathly hallows though. His style seems to sober and down to earth to give potter the end it deserves. But maybe that was just his vision for the fifth film. He might just blow me away with the sixth. Otherwise, I just want Cuaron to come back. (I wouldn’t mind Del Toro either, just watch Pans Labirinth)

Avatar Image says:

The DVD Extras are really pathetic in terms of quality and quantity.

Avatar Image says:

Shame they’ve left Bellatrix and Sirius’ battle out. Still, the special features sound awesome.

Avatar Image says:

Good points everyone. To go off topic for a moment, does anyone else miss the Petunia Howler and Petunia knowing about Azkaban dialogue? I know it wasn’t filmed, but I wish it was. It would have added maybe 90 to 120 seconds to the film but so much to Petunia’s character. That part just made my head reel when I read it in the book for the first time.

no SWM or B/S duel? ):

Leaky -

Please correct the name Jane Scott Batchler to JANET. She’s a fine author/speaker and I know would appreciate her name being corrected :)

Avatar Image says:

Lack of deleted scenes I can deal with (I’m sure Snape’s Worst Memory will be on the DH one).What really annoys me is no Alan Rickman in the interviews!! He was listed not that long ago as being part of a 23 minute interview section! What happened there?

Avatar Image says:

i’m always disapointed with the brevity of the special features disk!!!! i want to see more every time especially rob pattinson being funny in the back of a golf cart!

Avatar Image says:

“Snape’s_Fictional_Missus, I think these interviews will be on the DH DVD version.”

On the Deathly Hallows dvd? Well it would make sense I guess.They would be able to talk about their characters more after the series is finished.

Avatar Image says:

Hi, can’t believe it is out in South Africa and missed it! Where did you get it from Joanne? Can’t wait to see it.

Avatar Image says:

I find it extremely ironic that they would include a feature on the ‘importance of proper editing’ stressing the use of music, propper clip cutting, and flow between scenes when OOTP was the worst editing job of any Harry Potter film to date. All of the scenes were mushed together and sloppy, the music was hardly transitional, and the emotions changed with every single camera angle! I can only hope HBP will fare better.

Either way, I’m a bit disappointed with these deleted scenes. A few sound nice enough, but I had really been hoping that they’d include some of the more pivotal scenes that were hacked from the original plotline (Harry spazzing out in Dumbledore’s office would’ve been AMAZING to see on screen). Plus, I seem to remember seeing a promotional still on the internet in the months before OOTP’s theatrical release, with Hagrid standing behind a wheelchair-bound McGonagall reading a newspaper declaring Voldemort’s return. Silly me, I had actually gotten my hopes up that this scene would be IN the film. It wasn’t. But, since they went through the trouble of taking the pic, you’d think the scene was at least SHOT, wouldn’t you? sigh… I need to stop trusting WB and the new director to actually do things right…

Avatar Image says:

I’m so happy to know all these deleted scenes on this dvd. This is the movie that I’m totally going to get and you knw what I can’t wait. that tonks is awesome that sick.

Avatar Image says:

Skein, I got it at CNA (Eastgate, Jo’burg)! Glad to hear that there’s another Potterphile in SA!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Joanne, I’ll pop down to the CNA Waterfront (Cape Town) later. Great review btw.

Avatar Image says:

i got my DVD yesterday ( i’m from australia) and i have to admit that the deleted scenes are indeed a bit sloppy, when i watched these scenes i understood why they were cut, so it got me thinking…maybe the reason they didn’t put SWM or the sirius and bella’s fighting scene was because those scenes were actually good and deserved to be in the movie and by adding them to the deleted scenes it would only incense the fans more because they were worthy of being in the film…if any of that made sense, you’ll understand what i mean.

trailing tonks however is my favourite extra on this DVD as this is the closest you ever get to an interview with the cast, she briefly and i mean briefly strikes a conversation with Dan.

o well i guess us fans will just have to wait for the DH DVD and pray that they include those ultra important scenes in the extra’s.

Write a Reply or Comment