“Half-Blood Prince” Casting News: Helen McCrory will Play Narcissa Malfoy

112

Nov 09, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Good news this morning as CBBC Newsround can confirm some casting news for the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film. Actress Helen McCrory will play the part of Narcissa Malfoy, the wife of Death Eater Lucius Malfoy. Newsround reminds us that Ms McCrory “was originally cast as Bellatrix Lestrange in the fifth Potter movie, but couldn’t play the part because she was expecting a baby.”

Also, the site reports that an”announcement on who will play young Tom Riddle and Lavender Brown is expected very soon.”

Helen McCrory has appeared in “Anna Karenina” for PBS, as well as The Count of Monte Cristo, and was most recently seen in the hit films “The Queen,” and “Becoming Jane,” which also co-starred Julie Walters (Molly Weasley) and Dame Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall).UPDATE: You can now see some additional photos of Helen McCrory here in our galleries.

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” is currently in production and will be released in theaters November 21, 2008.

146 Responses to “Half-Blood Prince” Casting News: Helen McCrory will Play Narcissa Malfoy

Avatar Image says:

Well, she’s not my vision of Narcissa but she is good for the part….

Avatar Image says:

YAY that’s so cool! I was going nuts with no casting news!

And I’m one of the first ones to comment. Word.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve never seen any of the movies she’s been in but she does have a resemblance to Bellatrix in the 5th movie. I just hope she has “corn silk” blond hair like she’s supposed to have. I dont think she’ll have a problem, in one of the still shots of a movie she was in on imdb.com she looks like she dyed her hair red for the part.

Avatar Image says:

Not at all, what I pictured. However, as much as I may wince at the HP movies, I am rarely let down by the casting. I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Avatar Image says:

FANTASTIC NEWS! I am thrilled!! Best news sooo far!!

Avatar Image says:

Helena McCrory is a brunette. She played the wife of Tony Blair in the film “The Queen” which starred Helen Mirren.

Avatar Image says:

WOW. Great actress, although she will have to have her hair dyed blonde, and possibly wear blue contact lenses. It’s great that they gave her anohter chance to be in the films though. She and Helena get to play sisters now. :-)

Avatar Image says:

I think she’s great. she looks very much like Helena.

Avatar Image says:

It’s a pity she was pregnant, she could have been an excellent Bellatrix

Avatar Image says:

“Helena McCrory is a brunette”

There are wigs and hair dye – easily fixed.

I am pleased about this, she is a great actress and she and Helena would make very believable sisters.

Avatar Image says:

She was also in the Anna Karenina mini-series (she played Anna). Somehow she doesn’t seem like a Narcissa to me, but I think she’ll do fine

Avatar Image says:

She looks good, as long as her hair goes blonde! =)

Avatar Image says:

I saw reciently Helen McCrory on the film “Becoming Jane” and she didn´t looks like Narcissa at all,but the world of films makes miracles!She could had been a perfect Bellatrix anyway.

Avatar Image says:

Somehow they manage to turn a very brunette Jason Isaacs into, as he puts it, the Paris Hilton-esque Lucius Malfoy. Something tells me they’ll be able to do the same with Helen McCrory’s transformation into Narcissa without batting an eye. (yes, I know Jason’s wearing a wig - but that’s my point - why the fuss about what color her hair is?)

Avatar Image says:

know wat this means?? it means that spinner’s end is in the film! wohoo! thumbs up for character development! finally

For now, I say YAY!

I wanted to see her as Bella from when she was casted the first time, and well, Bella is Narcissa’s sis….oh, they WILL look alike…the only question I have is how she looks with blond hair?

But either way, we finally know! does happy dance!

Avatar Image says:

It will be interesting to see her. I know she can play cold and evil, just hope she doesn’t come across as too strong. Physically yes they will need to do a lot to her, but actors even change their bodies these days with weight loss and gain to fit a part. I have only seen her in “Charles II The Last King” with Rufus Sewell. She played Barbara Palmer, and ther is a scene where she is finally being dismissed and she had on makeup so thick it would crack if she moved her face and she stalked out of the palace surrounded by all her enemies who were all talking about her, and that kind of cold pride and frozen face is very much like I imagine Narcissa. I think she can do it.

Avatar Image says:

That is fanastic I was so bummed when she couldn’t play bella but this is great. Just FYI she is just about due with her second child.

Avatar Image says:

WHO????? I have no idea who she is, but she really doesn’t look like the Narcissa type and not just the hair issue. But as great of an actress Helena B.C. is, she wasn’t my pick for Bellatrix either! I really thought Natasha Richardson would have been a great Narcissa. But no one asked me!!

Avatar Image says:

Hmm… I don’t really know how I feel about this. Helen is a fantastic actress and I’m sure that she will be able to play Narcissa very good but she’s so far away from what I imagined Cissa and I can’t really see her beside Jason and Tom.

But, I wasn’t really that happy when I found out that Jason would be playing Lucius either but wow, look at him… he’s amazing!

Ah well, I’m not really going to say anything more then that before we’ve seen a picture of her as Cissa or in the trailers.

Avatar Image says:

Well this is cool. It’s nice she was asked back for a different part. I agree she isn’t exactly how I pictured Narcissa, but she’ll do a nice job. I’m just pleased they’ll have spinners end in there.

Well, she’s not exactly how I imagined Narcissa, but I guess she’ll do. :D

Avatar Image says:

Merlin, finally some HBP casting news. :) And this means we will see Spinner´s End. Yay. I was already concerned. You never know with these movie people. And I can´t wait to see Helena Bonham-Carter and Alan Rickmann playing off of each other. I don´t know Helen McCrory, but it is somehow fitting she now plays the sister of the character she was originally cast for. Since she was already picked by the casting crew earlier and they now come back to her, I am sure she is a great actress. As for being brunette: Jason can lend her his Paris Hilton wig. He won´t need it since he isn´t in HBP.

Avatar Image says:

awesome. her face looks exactly how i always pictured narcissa..not the hair tho lol

Avatar Image says:

i think helena boham carter would be perfect for narcissa and helen mccrory would be perfect for bellatrix :D

Avatar Image says:

hmm…not really how i pictured cissy but she should be ok as long as they dye her hair really really blond. i pictured cissy as nicole kidman, she’d be great.

Avatar Image says:

As has been said, the casting throughout the HP films has been superlative, and although I’m not familiar with Ms. Mcrory’s work, I have confidence in the choice.

Avatar Image says:

I think that with the right makeup, she’ll be excellent in this role. It will be really interesting to see her and Helena B.C. acting together…I personally thought Helena was a perfect Bellatrix, and I can completely picture Ms. Mcrory as Narcissa if she just bleaches her hair.

Avatar Image says:

Unfortunately, I expect anything from these movie guys. Since HBP is already been filming and Emma is still with that super blonde hair, I supose that Cissy can be a brunette in WB’s opinion…

What? Noooooo I don’t like it :(((

Avatar Image says:

Sofia, Emma doesn’t start filming until December.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, Amy! Now I have some hope again…

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I am so happy about this. I loved helena bonham carters protrayal of bellatrix… its so great though that she gets to have her harry potter role after having to walk away from harry potter for the good of her unborn child.

its so great to have good news, this, and the good news about the lexicon book being delayed.

Avatar Image says:

I am really pleased to hear that Helen will finally be in a Harry Potter film. I was thrilled to see her originally cast as Bellatrix in Order of the Phoenix…I thought the casting was perfect, only to be disappointed by news of her having to drop out due to her pregnancy. If anyone is unfamiliar with her work, see Iolanthe’s post above. I agree completely with Iolanthe’s comments. Helen was really excellent in that film, and I don’t think we’ll be disappointed in her protrayal of Narcissa.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve never heard of her before. She’s very pretty, I think she’d make a great Narcissa. Can’t wait to see the film :)

Avatar Image says:

I think she would have made a good Bellatrix, even though I wanted Helena, which we did finally get :D But, I would have went with an actress who was actually blonde. Like Jolie Richardson.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, this is nothing like how I picture Narcissa. I picture her rail thin with very pointy features. I’ve never seen her acting so hopefully she will portray the character well enought that it won’t matter that she doesn’t look like my Narcissa.

Avatar Image says:

Not sure who she is, don’t care, Spinners End is IN—WHOO-HOOOOOO!! Made my weekend.

I had always cherished a hope for Cate Blanchett, but I’m sure this actress will be just wonderful. I’m glad she is making it into the series since she had to turn down Bellatrix.

Avatar Image says:

She was also in “Charles: The Power and the passion” (I think I’ve got that title right) with the luscious Christian Coulson, who they SHOULD be announcing will appear in “HBP.” (If there were any justice in the world and if the WB/Yates really gave a crap what the fans wanted). Anyway, McCrory as Barbara Villiers seduces Coulson as the Duke of Monmouth in “Charles” and its worth seeing for that alone!

She’s not a beauty, and in particular, I pictured Narcissa as having a patrician nose for some reason, but she’s an excellent actor.

Avatar Image says:

With an hour of make-up, hair, wardrobe and a dash of movie magic she’ll be looking like Narcissa before you know it. I mean, look how well they made Isaacs look like Lucius?

Avatar Image says:

From the wife of Tony Blair to the wife of Lucius Malfoy. That’s pretty darn funny.

zr

Avatar Image says:

Such a lousy choice! Lazy casting. I can totally see through this – they told her they’d cast her for ANY female HP role because she missed out on Bellatrix being pregnant. Horrible casting decision. Looks nothing like the classic, fine featured beauty that Narcissa is in the books.

Avatar Image says:

Relax about the hair people. They will change it. As mentioned before Jason I. is a brunette and Emma is a blonde and Natalie Tena does not have naturally purple hair…just breathe and everything will be fine.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so pleased. I was so horrified when I heard she couldn’t be Bellatrix, even though she would have justified the part so well. I’m glad that there will be some resemblance between the sisters too, and you can’t underestimate movie magic, even if she doesn’t look like Cissa now you wait until the trailers start coming. I’m so excited, this is more exciting than anything else I’ve come to expect from the HP-verse. HBP and DH really let down my expectations, but if Helen is going to be in the final two films, I’m going to be a happy crumple-horned snorkack.

Avatar Image says:

YAY! YAY! YAY! MY Bellatrix finally has a sister and I like others have been waiting and waiting forever it seems for this anouncment! This definetely made my day- and pretty soon we will find out Lavender and young Tom Riddle- They heard my prayers!-( all Modesty aside it was more like complaints ) Ha ha!

Avatar Image says:

After I read Deathly Hallows, I thought Helen would be a natural choice to play Andromeda.

She’s not really what I’d pictured for Narcissa, but as people have already noted, hair and makeup does wonders. Also, as the producers clearly want her to be in the films, I think that says good things about her skills.

Avatar Image says:

Exactly my feelings as well. Not my vision of Narcissa, not at all. I picture a tall, very thin, pale looking blonde. I am glad to see that I am not the only one feeling that way :-)

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm. I don’t see it. But she does resemble Helena and a blonde wig will do wonders.

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic! Spinner’s End is in!

Avatar Image says:

nicci – NAT TENA DOES NOT HAVE NATURALLY PURPLE HAIR! Well, my day is ruined now! :)

Can’t wait to see what magic hair and make-up pull off, but more importantly, SPINNER’S END is in! THAT made my day!

Avatar Image says:

Cate Blanchett (as someone mentioned) is an interesting choice for Narcissa. What about Tilda Swinton, who is very good at the uncompromising “glacial” stare! I can see her clearly in the scenes where Voldemort takes Lucius’ wand and then when she checks Harry’s heart.

As for Bellatrix, I had thought HBC would be too “soft” looking, but she was wonderful and utterly insane. Loved her costume coming apart at the seams, too. Wasn’t crazy about her hair, though. Too much like a fright wig.

I still picture Siobhan Fahey (recall the Shakespear’s Sister video, “Stay”) as Bellatrix when I read the books. Fahey’s got the best-ever wicked smile.

Avatar Image says:

doesn’t look right to me… she’s not beautiful enough.

Avatar Image says:

Choosing Helen McCroy playing Narcissa Malfoy – is a solomon-like decision! I can absolutely live with that – and I am sure she will appear blond, since her “son Draco” is blond!!! I have seen Helen in the above mentioned movies – I enjoyed her especially as “Tony Blair’s wife”! But most important – we will have “Spinner’s End” in HBP. Prepare yourself’s Professor Snape fans ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I am honestly not that pleased with their casting. But then again, make-up artists can do a whole lot of “magic” and turn virtually anyone into character. I don’t understand why they can’t cast someone who’s equally talented and who already looks the part already as well. Is that too difficult? Oh well. I hope she does a great job, though.

Avatar Image says:

I hate this. I don’t think she’s pretty enough, she’s just wrong for the part. No offence to Helen fans. But she was wrong for Bellatrix, she’s even worse for Narcissa!

Avatar Image says:

Gutted. I’m sorry. But this is SO wrong it’s just unbelievable. How could they make such a HUGE casting error.

Helen McCroy is a fantastic actress, don’t get me wrong, but she is SO WRONG for the role of Narcissa. She’s not pretty enough. She’s not thin enough. She looks too old. She’s not snooty enough and doesn’t fit the Narcissa mould.

I have to admit, I wanted the role myself – tried for years to get it but I have no agent so… no luck. I admit, I’m only 18 and don’t exactly look spot on, but even I’d have been better than her.

My friend was on the verge of tears when she told me this news.

McCroy wasn’t right for Bellatrix, let alone Narcissa. That is the worst choice they’ve made so far.

Avatar Image says:

definitely not how i imagined narcissa, but i had a similar reaction to umbridge last movie and that turned out wonderfully

Avatar Image says:

I think WB can virtually make anyone female to play Narcissa if they wanted to, really. They’ve got enough money, after all. I just don’t get the point. I’m sure we’ll “learn” how to love her as Narcissa, or at least most of us, since our fandom’s pretty resilient after all.

As of now, though, I’m just disappointed. They could’ve EASILY chosen someone who FITS and looks the part perfectly.

Avatar Image says:

wtf were the casting directors thinking?

Avatar Image says:

HORRIBLE choice! And no it has nothing to do with her hair colour. I am really disappointed.

Avatar Image says:

I object to this casting as well, if only because she’s rather too old for the part, but I’m sure I’ll certainly change my mind when all is said and done and the costumed pics start leaking out. xo

Avatar Image says:

She is a fantastic actress but she is nothing like I imagined Narcissa. Someone softer like Naomi Watts or someone of the same general appearance would have been better suited, in my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

Is there any way that this decision could be reconsidered? fandom power or something? I know! I know! we haven’t seen her in action yet! but I don’t really want to see her in action… she looks like an old maid. lol ever shallow c’est moi. gah.

:( I expect i’m taking this particularly badly because I had high hopes for Narcissa’s look in particular.

headdesk

Avatar Image says:

Harumph. If we had any “fandom power,” Christian Coulson would be back in his rightful place as Tom Riddle!

I agree that McCrory isn’t what you picture for Narcissa (N. Watts is closer), but she was very good in “Charles.” She has a superb speaking voice which should account for something.

Avatar Image says:

I think it is funny that the whole Malfoy family are brunettes turned blonde. Not exactly how I pictured Narcissa to look like but she’s a great actress. I saw her in Charles II and she was awesome in it. Though I was rooting for Joely Richardson to be Narcissa for a while already. I guess I can live with it. Helen would have been so much better as Merope though.

Avatar Image says:

Madeleine, I mentioned Cate Blanchett, she will always be the Narcissa in my head when I read the books, but yes, Tilda Swinton would have been fantastic too! Good idea.

I hear everyone’s concerns, I’m just grateful Spinner’s End is in. I truly believed they would cut it. I’m sure the makeup/hair/costume magic will work out. Look what they do for Alan Rickman and yes, Jason Issacs.

On to Lavender Brown, I have never had a clear picture in my head. What does everyone think she looks like?

UWAAAHHH!!!

laments for Christian Coulson too

Oh Christian, how I miss your murderously glinting eyes… I’ll get you for that one WB!

also, that picture of Helen on the CBBC site is not good… I want to say that maybe thats a bad pic of her. but I can’t seem to find any Narcissa-ish ones.

apart from maybe this one:

With blue contacts and bleach??? her face is still rounder than i imagined

is still crying for Naomi Watts

Avatar Image says:

Really, I can’t see any ‘natural’ resemblances to Narcissa… She ought to be blond, with weightless features, in one word Bellatrix’s opposite (in so many senses…). Definitely she’s not the one!

Avatar Image says:

I’d settle for Rosie O’Donnell as Narcissa if only they’d bring back Christian. “Murderously glinting” is right!

Katie, I picture Lavender as the girl who is helping support Won Won in GOF in the scene where Ron tells Harry he asked Fleur to the Yule Ball…Maybe they’ll cast her?

Avatar Image says:

Oh, dear. Helen is really a great actress but not AT ALL what I pictured for Narcissa, unfortunately. Hopefully her performance will be so good that I won’t even notice this :)

I was hoping for Naomi Watts…oh well

Avatar Image says:

Appearance wise, she’ll look like Narcissa (blond hair, etc.) And the reason she’ll look ‘fuller’ (i.e. curvy) is in comparison to her whithered sister Bellatrix (HBC).

In terms of performance, I suggest people look at one film and TV series

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) – she plays the wife of a Judge, and is a rich socialite. PERFECT for public Narcissa

Frankenstein (2007, UK TV) – a biological researcher who acts immorally AND illegally to save the life of her son (For DH and Spinner’s End, this is just right).

Neither Naomi Watts or Joely Richardson have the right balance – you sympathise with them, but you can’t hate them.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmmm.. I think they should now give her Mr. Isaacs’ very precious wig ;)

And I can’t wait to find out who’s going to play Lav-Lav :D

Avatar Image says:

Not the Narcissa I thought [at first} they would have chosen but there is a resemblance to Bellatrix and with a change of hair colour and make up we will have the cissy we know from the books. WB have yet to make an error in who they choose for the Harry Potter films I’m sure she will be excellent.

Avatar Image says:

Ahh, I too wanted Naomi… She would’ve been a great pair with HBC (they both pull off the crazed look rather well). OTOH I can’t get the vision of her juggling for King Kong out of my head. LOL re: Tilda Swinton. She can’t be Narcissa – haven’t you been paying attention, people? Hair color is important! ;}

Avatar Image says:

But madsci, I don’t want to hate Narcissa. I largely sympathize with her already…

Avatar Image says:

I think she looks like Narcissa but needs blonde hair

Avatar Image says:

Did anybody else imagine her with really big eyes. Helen Mcrory’s almond shaped ones are nice, but not what I imagined…

Avatar Image says:

Darn, I really did think they’d use her for Andromeda, because she looks a little older now and her face is quite… friendly. And I’d kinda got my heart set on Joely Richardson. However, she’s a great actress, she looks like Helena (if not particularly like Tom Felton), and I can’t wait for the pictures of her blonde.

And yay for Spinner’s End! That may be one of my fave chapters in the entire series!

Avatar Image says:

Dudes! Most of the adult cast have wigs or some sort of hairpiece ect.

In comparison to how they look in real life(even the some of the kids’) the actors look so different to the chracters.

Avatar Image says:

WOW! That is great! Although, she has brown hair not blond. I wonder if they will change it in the movie??!!

Avatar Image says:

what happened to naomi watts? this actress may be able to act the part but she’s NOT HOT ENOUGH.

Avatar Image says:

doesn’t look like Narcissa AT ALL. Not even if they dye her hair blonde. Narcissa is suppose to look much more… fesh, pretty, and younger looking then Bellatrix since she wasn’t in Azkaban for many years. I can see why they wanted her for Bellatrix though. She looks like she could definitely be bellatrix. But I’m satisfied with helena as Bellatrix too.

Avatar Image says:

She was cast as Bellatrix?? O_O It’s funny, because I didn’t know that and now when I have seen her picture I just thought that she would have been great as Bellatrix!! XD

At last they’re going to say who’s Lavender!! ^ It’s the first time they inform they are going to announce something soon!! ^_ I can’t wait!!

Avatar Image says:

I think she’s good as Narcissa, but I pictured her prettier.

Avatar Image says:

UH! I hate her as Narcissa! Not happy with the casting whatsoever. Helena Bonham Carters is PERFECT for Bellatrix though. PERFECT. She was exactly how I pictured her, but Helen doesn’t seem right. She doesn’t seem to have that sensuous grandeur to her. She also seems to be a bit old for the part.AND before anyone harasses me, I realize Narcissa isn’t in her 20s, but to me she’s always had this ageless quality to her. Helen doesn’t seem to be a good fit, however I will say she was fantastic in The Queen as well as Becoming Jane.

not pleased,

well not pleased anymore. when she was cast as Bellatrix and backed out because being pregnant I hoped she would return as Narcissa.

but later on I saw her acting in the BBC production James II, the power and the passion as Barbara Villiers, countess Castlemaine and thought her too old and too puffy in her face for being Narcissa.

Althrough she would perform a perfect sneer as was long the only characteristic of Narcissa.

btw… did love Shirley Herderson as Queen Catherine de Braganza, a lot of actors also seen in HP movies were in it.

Avatar Image says:

squee Awesome! She is perfect for Narcissa she even has the pointed face I can’t wait to see her in HBP!

Avatar Image says:

That’s great casting news, and they’re not leaving her out of the HP universe. She and Helena Bonham Carter do look similar, so the sisterly bond will hopefully feel authentic. I hope she doesn’t get pregnant AGAIN before shooting starts in spring 2008 for the “Spinner’s End” scene (she’ll have enough time to lose the baby weight) and gets replaced by another actress.

BTW, isn’t it coincidental that both HBC and HMC are expecting kids and that both are expecting their second child? Freaky…

Avatar Image says:

This is the worst possible choice for Narcissa ever. Except, of course, for the fact that Helen McCrory is a very good actress. I know they wanted her to play Bellatrix (although personally I think Helena Bonham-Carter kicks her arse any day) and I guess this is their way of finally getting her involved, but in what universe could anyone possibly consider the same actress for the parts of both Bellatriz and Narcissa Malfoy? The mere fact that McCrory was up for Bellatriz should eliminate any thoughts of her playing Narcissa. Yes, they’re sisters, but the similarities end there! and that is a fundamental part of both characters! Honestly! This SUCKS.

Avatar Image says:

I thought she was very good as Tony Blair’s wife in “The Queen”. I haven’t seen her other work. I’m sure she’ll be great, but I confess I was hoping for Naomi Watts or Cate Blanchett.

And after seeing Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix, I can’t imagine anyone else in that role now. She was PERFECT!

This is like a bad joke. Umm… Here’s to hoping for another pregnancy? :/

Avatar Image says:

I think everyone just needs to remember what alot of others have said that the majority of the actors look nothing like their characters in real life – she was very good as Tony Blairs wife and so I’m sure she will do fine with makeup and a long blonde wig- give her a chance before you make up your mind- besides some of you sound really mean and harsh like shes some disease.

Avatar Image says:

I knew it. I had a feeling the producers felt bad for having to let her go because she got pregnant. So I figured they make it up to her by giving her the role of Narcissa instead. This role doesn’t have big action scenes so if she gets pregnant, it wouldn’t be an issue.

Avatar Image says:

R THEY SERIOUS? WHY DO THEY HAVE THIS OLD UGLY WOMAN PLAYING PRETTY FRESH NARCISSA MALFOY? HOW ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE THE PAMPERED BABY SISTER LOOK WORST THAN THE LOONEY OLDER SISTER WHO’S BEEN LOCKED UP IN PRISON. IT IS GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN A BLOND WIG AND CONTACTS TO MAKE HER A BELIEVABLE MRS.MALFOY… NOW I COULD GO FOR HER BEING BELLA. BUT THEY NEED TO RECONSIDER ASAP! I’M SURE SHE’S A GREAT ACTRESS BUT SHE COULD PLAY NARCISSA AS A GRANDMOTHERLIKE WHEN SCORPIOUS AND ROSE GET MARRIED.

Avatar Image says:

Stop freaking out that she’s a brunette, people. Jason Isaacs has brown hair. I’m sure they will give her a blonde Paris Hilton wig, as Jason calls it, as well, and the two of them can run with it.

Avatar Image says:

She’ll do an absolutely wonderful job.

All of your people who are complaining have unrealistic expectations. They’re never going to cast gorgeous twenty year olds for all your favorite characters! Her age fits right in with the rest of the other actors. She is a mother of a sixteen year old Draco for goodness sake!

Avatar Image says:

Ugh, she would have been better when she was given the role of Bellatix rather than Narcissa! I don’t approve!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think she really looks like Cissy, but hopefully she’s a good actress. She was originally supposed to play Bella, so playing Bella’s sister shouldn’t be too hard.

Avatar Image says:

Here we go again. You want casting news then you complain about who they cast. Then you want movie stills and trailers then you complain about those. Then you want the movie and then when it comes out everyone complains about that too.

Can’t we as FANS just let the movie people do there work. They know more about what they are going to do to make this lady into Narcissa so let just give her a break.

Sometimes I wonder about all these so called fans on this website nothing ever seems good enough for some of you. It is really sad!

Avatar Image says:

She is an excellent actress. I’m happy about this and highly envious if she gets physical body contact with Jason Isaacs.

Avatar Image says:

I have to say that I’m really disappointed with this casting. I’m sure she is an adequate actress, but I mean…is it really too hard to cast someone that actually resembles (even slightly) the character they are given? McCrory doesn’t, and I find it hard to believe she will, look anything like Narcissa’s description!

Avatar Image says:

I completely agree with you Michele- you would be fans should cool your heels and wait and see before you judge. I hate to sound kidish but remember the beauty and the beast story it is the person within that counts and besides makeup people do wonders for the hunderth time! She really is beautiful if you have seen her in a movie they just arnt showing very good pics of her. Michele you should run for president you sound like you got soul and logic.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sad as I wanted a Richardson or Kristen Scott Thomas BUT Helen is a FANTASTIC actress. It will be alright. I didn’t want HBC as Bella but I got over it. We should be more happy that the scenes her character is in will be featured.

I still laugh whenever someone mentions Naomi or Cate. HELLO they are Australian. They never had a hope in hell of being in any Potter films.

Also about the hair thing just for example look at Cindy Crawford’s son. He has really blonde blonde hair but yet his mum, dad and sister have brown. My grandmother gave birth to 2 brown, 1 jet black and a red head. It happens.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks BellaSnape! I just really hate when everyone wants wants wants and then when they get they are never happy. I guess it is just a reflection of our times. Isn’t that a sad thought. Boy I just can’t wait to see how they tear apart who ever gets the lavender part. I can just see it now-oh, she not pretty, her body is not right, she not what I saw in my mind blah blah blah. Poor girl she does not stand a chance and for that matter neither does the poor guy that is going to play Voldy.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe the girl who will play Lavender won’t suffer that much, because nobody knows how the caracter looks like. J.K. never gave us a clue about it. So any color skin, hair, height and weight will be fine. But of course some jealous fans will say she is not pretty enough… And I would like to have the same hope from some of you people that Spinner´s End will be in it. Just remember that WB made the cast of young Lilly e we didn’t see her in OotP.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t doubt her abilities to portray the character, but that’s really not the way I imagined Cissa to be :/

YAY!

Avatar Image says:

I was absolutely thrilled when she was cast as Bellatrix, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. I think it’s awesome that they didn’t just forget about her after she had to pull out due to a personal matter.

Avatar Image says:

She’s very good for Bellatrix… and obviously, it will look like a believable sister… but can it look like a believable Narcissa? Afterall, Narcissa was pretty in Harry’s mind—pretty and snob. She looks a little old to have just one 16 year old son.

Avatar Image says:

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT?!

THAT WOMEN IS BUD UGLY!!!

THEY NOW OFFICIALLY RUINED EVRYTHING ON HARRY POTTER THERE IS TO RUIN!!!

THANK YOU WB, THANK YOU!!!

Avatar Image says:

what good news! I really like her acting. She will put her heart and soul into the part. We can all sigh with relief. Now if only we could find a part for her husband, Damian Lews! He is another good English actor. Right now you can see him on “Life” it is on CBS Weds at 10:00pm in CA. Both are always on Masterpiece Theater.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry the correct spelling is Damian Lewis not lews!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with whoever said stop complaining! Naomi Watts as fine an actress as she is – NOT OLD ENOUGH to be Narcissa! I think she is a very beautiful woman. And honestly the complaints about the hair colour … are the Phelps twins red heads??? Is Jason Isaacs blond???

Avatar Image says:

1) Naomi Watts was born in Shoreham, England (though she was raised in Australia)

2) She is not a twentysomething – she’s easily old enough to be Draco’s mother.

3) She was in Tank Girl! That should’ve been enough!

Avatar Image says:

I’m just glad “Spinner’s End” is in, I’m not that much bothered about Narcissa, but more thrilled that we will see Rickman and Bonham-Carter interacting.. bring on the elf-made wine!

As for Narcissa, I had heard rumours about Joeley Richardson playing the part.. she would have been the perfect icy-blonde beauty.. but I am sure Helen will be great, it’s not about looks but acting after all that makes the character.

Avatar Image says:

I would have made her Andromeda. She is said to look like Bellatrix. Harry does mistake her at first for Bella.

Avatar Image says:

i don’t know who she really is but have heard she’s a good actress and thats all that matters plus isn’t she weaing a hood most the movie. Anyway she’ll do fine they have made good castings this far how bad could it be.

Avatar Image says:

I HAVE seen her, before! She’s quite the actress. I imagine that her “screen test/reading” was more for the acting aspect. Although, her bone structure and height were a factor, more than likely. I more imagined an Angelica Huston…but she’s American. That puts her out, period! LOL. We’ll see what makeup and lighting can do. After all, if she can’t ACT the part, all the lighting, makeup and wardrobe won’t help. (and WB has one of the best Makeup and hair groups going!)

Avatar Image says:

I always thought that Helena Bonham Carter would make a good Narcissa. I don’t picture Helen Mcrory as Narcissa, at all. But still, they’ll make it work.

I can’t wait until Lavender brown and tom riddle casting announcements are made! soooo excited fo this movie!!!!! :p

Avatar Image says:

A lot of people here seem to be pulling what Narcissa ‘should’ look like out of their backsides. Or, more probably, straight out of fan fiction, because her features aren’t explicity described in the books. The main thing is her blonde hair, and that can be changed. She was described as being attractive, if she didn’t look like she was sniffing something funny all the time. That’s in the eye of the beholder, and doesn’t mean she should have supermodel/wax dolly looks. Most of the other descriptions of Narcissa are based on her expressions.

Avatar Image says:

Poor Helen. ‘not beautiful enough’, ‘not pretty enough’. What a rude thing to say. And please: Too old for the role? Are you kidding? Helen is 39. That is the age Narcissa is in. shakes head Can´t people just wait and see how she turns out in the role? All other ‘mistakes’ WB has made with the movies so far, casting certainly has not been one of them. Not for one single role. So I trust them with this and look forward very much to Spinner´s End.

Avatar Image says:

39? I thought she looked like she was in her late forties.

Avatar Image says:

hmmmm…Hope she dies her hair blond though! xoxo

Avatar Image says:

She is not how I pictured Narcissa at all, even if she did have blond hair, and blue eyes. I would be happier if they casted Naomi Watts (and I was so against them casting her.)

Oh well, I am hoping for a miracle.

Avatar Image says:

Sisters Helena and Helen… Well, she would have been perfect for Bellatrix, but doesn’t match my vision of Narcissa at all!

Avatar Image says:

Since she was unable to be in the 5th movie I am glad that she is still able to participate.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you for the picture links Iolanthe

Avatar Image says:

It’s now been about 24 hours since I learned of the casting, and I find I’m already completely acclimatised to it.

For the past few films, there’s been at least one character for whom I’ve thought, ‘Oh, they must cast this person!’ And then they didn’t, and I sulked for a few days. Then I wound up accepting and enjoying the chosen actors anyway.

Avatar Image says:

I think she would possibly be better as Andromeda…but whatever!

Avatar Image says:

Well well well…for all of you who “screamed” she is not beautiful enough to be Narcissa – go and have a look at the Galleries which Leaky has up-dated! Yes – that gorgeous Lady in the green dress is going to be our “Narcissa”! Still some complaints ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I was really hoping they would cast Joley Richardson for this role.

Avatar Image says:

I confess, I’m disappointed. I have been wracking my brains with who I’d have liked to see play Cissy but have yet to come up with anyone really. However, she’s not really Cissy either, not in my mind. Maybe for me though, Cissy became something like … Maris on Fraiser. You hear about her all the time but she’s been so built up that actually seeing her on camera would most certainly be a let down because no one would fit the part just right.

Avatar Image says:

She’ll make a great baddie, not all can play the villain well. I don’t know that I’d call her beautiful, but she has compelling features that seem to shift with each role. Some hair dye and contacts are easy enough fixes; her acting itself needs no improvement.

(jessie cave)

OH GOD IF THIS IS HER I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE. exactly perfect in my eyes…. if that hair goes a bit more blonde!

thanks to who found that site btw

sorry.. wrong page ^^^

Avatar Image says:

Jessie Cave looks a lot blonder in her other pictures, but even if she doesn’t make her hair blonder she’s still very fitting for the role. I’d be satisfied with her as Lavender, not that I’m really in control of that but it’s just my two cents.

Avatar Image says:

She’s definely not what i imagined Narcissa to look like but on the other hand I couldn’t imagine Helena Bonham Carter playing Bellatrix at first and she was brilliant!

Avatar Image says:

She is an AMAZING actress. My only problem is imagining her with blonde hair!

Avatar Image says:

looking forward to see Helen with the straight long blond hair, playing opposite Helena.

why look at that! they practically have the same first names. =)

I think she too old

Avatar Image says: Yes I agree with you!Avatar Image says: Yor site is very cool!Avatar Image says: Realy good!Avatar Image says: Realy good!Avatar ImagePotatoesButterbeer says: if only she didnt have the skunk look lol! her hair shouldnt have one big brown stripe in the middle, i mean it says like every time she shows up in the book that her hair is long silvery blond. but she's a pretty good actress anyway. of course hermione's hair is blonde too now, so i guess thats probably too much of a request...(o)(o) O ~

Write a Reply or Comment